Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: When will she quit biting? [Re: ] #867706
11/16/09 03:40 PM
11/16/09 03:40 PM

C
CalamityAnnie
Unregistered
CalamityAnnie
Unregistered
C

Like I said before, I have only had my "kids" for 3 months so trust me I have not fogotten anything!!! The fear the worry etc.
If you are going to use the new born infant senario then what you are asking of us "experienced mothers" is: "It's day 10...why is my baby still crying??" Because it's a baby!! It's going to cry from day 1 to day 101...no miracle liquid gold cure that we can offer up is going to change the fact that it really is PATIENCE and doing the things you are already doing everyday from now until forever that is going to make the difference!!
I get the feeling that is what you are looking for is a miracle bonding agent and it just does not exist!

Beyond the "liquid Gold" there are many other "bribe" foods that you can give them. My girls love flavored yogert (peach, strawberry and blueberry...they hate the cherry for some reason), they love the berry flavored yoggies (yogert chips) that you can get at Petsmart and they love the canned mealies also from petsmart. But you are going to have to bribe them today, tomorrow and probably 100's of tomorrows more.

Try to remember that gliders (just like people and cats and dogs etc) all have very different personalitites and don't all warm up to people at the same rate. I have 7 cats and let me tell you I have some that you can't make go away and some that almost ignore me completly and don't really want to be petted. I raised them all the same loving way but they are just different animals from each other. This is true for gliders too and so the honest to gosh truth is that Patience is really the ONLY "miracle" you can count on!!

I'm sorry if I can't offer more help that that! frown

Re: When will she quit biting? [Re: ] #867707
11/16/09 03:41 PM
11/16/09 03:41 PM
Sherman, Texas
MizValorie Offline
Glider Addict
MizValorie  Offline
Glider Addict

Sherman, Texas
I completely agree with CalamityAnnie!

Valorie and our 10 fur children

RIP Mary Kate
Re: When will she quit biting? [Re: ] #867708
11/16/09 03:45 PM
11/16/09 03:45 PM

P
purplekat61
Unregistered
purplekat61
Unregistered
P

Oh we remember what it was like....which is why you keep getting the same advice. Through Experience we have learned from hearing it "over and over" again....it is more of a "hug" it will get better for you and they will get there but you MUST give it time. We cant offer advice on what to do to get a suggie to quit biting, or crabbing or anything else in one day. They have a time track of their very own. Like raising children...and look how long THAT takes! lol and they spend most of their lives grippng and snapping about everything! We still love them and give them time to "grow up" and stop crabbing! We would hate to see you leave our forum. There is much to read and learn. The old saying....."you learn something new everyday" holds true for the suggie community also. Give us a shot! smile

Re: When will she quit biting? [Re: ] #867715
11/16/09 04:15 PM
11/16/09 04:15 PM

G
Greatestgrammie
Unregistered
Greatestgrammie
Unregistered
G

Why is it that I talk about getting off this website that I finally get the feedback that I've been asking 3 days for?
NOT looking for a Miracle Instant bond,just wondering if what I'm doing is right and that's ALL I wanted.
A new infant's parent finds out that driving around the block will put a restless baby to sleep BUT in the end it may not be the best thing. I offer this "liquid gold" and I go against all of the first day's advise and instead of leaving the girls alone to learn their new environment I have made a conscious effort to more or less "hound" them with being around my neck in their pouch,massaging/talking to that pouch and slowly getting them use to my touch by sticking my hand into that pouch from time to time to massage,touch and talk to them AND only want to know that I'm not the well meaning parent driving around the block and doing more harm than good.
I think too by posting day by day what was going on I was looking for a few encouraging words,maybe some more helpful hints or tricks and maybe a pat on the back for those things that I was doing that was working.
As a Grammie to 4 grandkids I know that there is experience from raising 3 children that I can pass on and I would suspect the same from Veteran Sugar Glider owners. This is all I'm asking. Book knowledge only goes so far. . it's the hands on that is going to last a lifetime. . the Sugar Glider's and mine.

Re: When will she quit biting? [Re: ] #867728
11/16/09 04:33 PM
11/16/09 04:33 PM

G
Greatestgrammie
Unregistered
Greatestgrammie
Unregistered
G

BTW,here's another example of what I am talking about.
I go online to answer questions and share my knowledge/experience with chickens/ducks as I have both.
I answer questions as to when the poster will know if their chick is a hen or a rooster,when they will hear the rooster crow for the first time,when the hen will start to lay,methods to keep their chicks warm til feathered out,different suggestions on supplemental food,teaching them to go to the hen house to roost. I give suggestions as to what they might be doing wrong in their feedings or what kind of bedding to use in their nesting boxes. I NEVER NEVER tell anyone to be patient,it takes time. I give them as much information as I can to help them and have even had some to send me pictures of their coops/pens so I could help them to find better alternatives.Book knowledge is good but hands on experience is even better.
I will take a chicken/duck poster through the process of raising from the daythe Momma bird lays the egg,incubates the egg ,the hatching/drying process,feathering out,being ready to be placed out in the coop/pen to their feeding all the way up to the egg laying and into breeding. I don't leave anything out and I leave myself open to other questions they have and they all leave with knowledge.
This is the kind of help I thought I'd be getting from GC forum. I thought maybe if I was doing something wrong someone would tell me and offer me a better solution.I thought that they could give me some insight as to waht to expect with what I was posting.
My mistake for assuming cuz we all know what it means to assume.

Thanks

Re: When will she quit biting? [Re: ] #867735
11/16/09 04:43 PM
11/16/09 04:43 PM

G
Greatestgrammie
Unregistered
Greatestgrammie
Unregistered
G

Two questions I posed and have not gotten any feedback on are:
1) I leave their feed and their treats in the cage but in the morning I notice that they eat more of their treat than their feed.Should I be feeding less treat until they eat their feed?

2) I am only guessing at their ages verses what was told by the breeder at the time of sale up to now. Do they start barking at a particular age or do they do this from time of weaning?

Any help or feedback on those questions? I find nothing in paperback books or online about these topics.

Last edited by Greatestgrammie; 11/16/09 04:44 PM.
Re: When will she quit biting? [Re: ] #867743
11/16/09 04:47 PM
11/16/09 04:47 PM
Sherman, Texas
MizValorie Offline
Glider Addict
MizValorie  Offline
Glider Addict

Sherman, Texas
Answers:

1) You need to put them on an approved diet. That should help with some of what they are eating.

2) They can bark from any age. Some do this a lot and some do not.

RIP Mary Kate
Re: When will she quit biting? [Re: MizValorie] #867750
11/16/09 05:07 PM
11/16/09 05:07 PM

C
CalamityAnnie
Unregistered
CalamityAnnie
Unregistered
C

The original question that this thread is about was biting. "When will she quit biting??" and the answers you were given about the biting and the bonding were appropriate answers to THAT question. The appropriate answer to that specific question IS Time and Patience.
If you have other specific questions about the eating, the diet, the barking or anything else you would be better off starting a new post.
If you want to figure out about barking I would go to the section on behavour and anatomy and start a thread something like "Weird nightime barking. Normal???", then you will get answers specifically about the barking issue. Same for the feeding question.
Many people don't follow posts from beginning to the end and it can be difficult to get answers to a wide variety of problems when many people don't have all the answers to ALL of the prbolems you may have (especially when looking from the "outside" of the post the question seems to be about biting!).
Me, for example, I am not the diet "expert" around here. I don't do recepies or have any tips for you. If you posted a question in the diet section you would get LOTS of different answers.
I would suggest that you start some new threads in different catagories and see the kind of response you get. Make LOTS of different posts about lots of different questions. Im sure you know from having chickens as well that you cannot get every answer to everything there is to know about chickens and raising them from one post, one question or in 9 days.

Re: When will she quit biting? [Re: ] #867760
11/16/09 05:16 PM
11/16/09 05:16 PM
Champaign Co., Illinois
Berg Offline
Glider Lover
Berg  Offline
Glider Lover

Champaign Co., Illinois
I'm not sure what you mean by treats exactly. Before we changed ours from a pellet diet that the breeder fed them to the Blended diet, we did put in fruits and veggies in their cage along with their pellets. Once you know their likes and dislikes it will be easier to know what to put in there. In general, though, ours now eat their Blended diet and all of their fruits and veggies (as long as its stuff they like). For example, our guys love carrots, but aren't too crazy about peas. On the fruit side, they go crazy for papaya but will eat most fruit.

About the barking, it seems in most cases it's them communicating to each other, and probably can start at any point, certainly by the age of your gliders. Our girl barks at night sometimes, basically to tell her brother to get his butt out of the pouch and play! If I come out to check on her she stops. I don't think we have ever heard them bark during the day. They were 6 months old on Saturday, and they have barked since we got them 5 weeks ago.

BTW, you will eventually hear other sounds other than crabbing and barking. We're not sure what they all mean yet, but it's neat to hear them.

-Steve-

:grey: Sprite, Misty, Ghost, and Bandit

and all those who have crossed over the Rainbow Bridge
gangel Virga, Cirrus, Foehn, Pascal, Flurry, Case, Rossby, Breeze, and CB

The Glider Chronicles blog
Re: When will she quit biting? [Re: ] #867761
11/16/09 05:19 PM
11/16/09 05:19 PM
Illinois
MrsBerg Offline
Glider Explorer
MrsBerg  Offline
Glider Explorer

Illinois
Calamity Annie, that is this is the first "helpful" post to answer Grammie's questions. I am really a newbie when it comes to forums and, if my husband hadn't been here to show me how to navigate, I would have done exactly what Grammie did. Perhaps, instead of jumping on what diet it is people are using, etc., it might be more helpful and less intimidating to a new comer if someone just told them how to navigate this forum. Some of you post comments that are sounding very condescending, and that does no one any good. It only serves to alienate the very people who need your help.

:grey: Foehn :grey: CB

:grey: Rossby :grey: Sprite

gangel Virga 9-10-2012
gangel Cirrus 4-29-2013

gliderchronicles.blogspot.com
Re: When will she quit biting? [Re: MrsBerg] #867767
11/16/09 05:32 PM
11/16/09 05:32 PM
Sherman, Texas
MizValorie Offline
Glider Addict
MizValorie  Offline
Glider Addict

Sherman, Texas
There was no jumping on her diet. She stated what she fed, and I told her she needed to be on an approved diet. That is not "jumping". CalamityAnnie was trying to help her by telling her that she does need to post else where. That IS HELPING.

RIP Mary Kate
Re: When will she quit biting? [Re: MizValorie] #867776
11/16/09 05:44 PM
11/16/09 05:44 PM
Illinois
MrsBerg Offline
Glider Explorer
MrsBerg  Offline
Glider Explorer

Illinois
MizValorie, you did not read my post. I agreed that Calamity Annie helped her by telling her how to navigate the forum. I am sorry, I did not necessarily mean "jumping on Grammie for her diet, though you posted several replies in which all you said is that she needed to get on an approved diet.i meant that, sometimes the people on this site tend not to read the posts very carefully, fixate on one thing and either ignore the original question, or come across very intimidating, or condescending, which is very off putting. The written word does not come across as it would were you face to face....

gangel Virga 9-10-2012
gangel Cirrus 4-29-2013

Re: When will she quit biting? [Re: MizValorie] #867780
11/16/09 05:53 PM

C
CalamityAnnie
Unregistered
CalamityAnnie
Unregistered
C

I don't think the "condesending" comment MrsBerg made was aimed at anyone specifically...
although, I think in fairness I must add that it doesn't make any friends either to come out and say your leaving a forum because in essence we are snobs who don't like to help people...

The diet topic is unfortunaltly one of the most hotly contested issues and always seems to be a murky pond to swim in....which is why I stay away from posting on that topic specifically smile This forum has a very firm rule about "diet bashing" and I think that most people are trying to walk the line by not infering that the diet you're feeding (if it is the one we all think it is, considering it came with your gliders...from a fair..)is probably not that great and you would be better off switching to something more balanced.

The other reason to post in different areas is because as you can see now this post is 2 pages long and many people don't have the interest to read through two pages of posts only to find that they have nothing new to offer or that the answer they had was already given. Posting new topics keeps everything short and gets you the best chance of differnt ideas from differnt people.

Re: When will she quit biting? [Re: MrsBerg] #867781
Sherman, Texas
MizValorie Offline
Glider Addict
MizValorie  Offline
Glider Addict

Sherman, Texas
If you have issues with me as you obviously do why dont you (or your husband, who ever it is) take this to pms, which you have already started? Just because you don't like the way I post does not mean that "people on this site" ignore, or intimidate people.

Also I would like to point out that only twice did I mention a need for an approved diet, and one was to a DIRECT question.

RIP Mary Kate
Re: When will she quit biting? [Re: Berg] #867782
11/16/09 05:57 PM
11/16/09 05:57 PM
Iowa
Akane Offline
Glider Lover
Akane  Offline
Glider Lover

Iowa
This prepackaged diet you have wouldn't be glide r chow would it? Little light brown flat dry circles. Cause this sounds like a (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets setup. Selling at fairs, giving a cd, prepackaged food.... Those guys can be real convincing that you are talking to the actual breeder when it's actually just an employee of the company. They also give bad advice and [censored] diets.

As for treats it's kind of like giving a kid a slice of cake or ice cream with their dinner. What are they going to eat first? Then they will be full and you'll have nothing to bribe them with to eat their veggies. Plus they'll just keep begging for dessert the next time so it will get worse and worse until they don't eat any healthy foods unless you draw the line. Healthy dinner first, treats later, and not too much or they won't be hungry enough for more nutritious food.

Most of your chicken examples won't work because those are just facts not people asking how to tame a chicken. Even if they did it's much simpler since just feeding chickens lots of food will generally do it. Sugar gliders are not chickens. They are far more complicated and you are asking for a much more advanced relationship than you generally try to develop with a chicken. They also live a long time and most only keep their chickens a few years until they start laying less. You have years to get to know these gliders. It's more like getting a dog. They will be your friend or not for a long time. Whether they are a good dog depends on if you have the patience and put in the time to work with them over months and years. No single training method works for all dogs and no single training method can be carried out by all people. You have to take the advice you get and find your own path. I've fostered dogs and it takes weeks for a dog to begin to settle in and be themselves in a new household. Sugar gliders are less domesticated than a dog so take even longer to adjust to a new home and owner. You may not fully see the personality of these guys for another month or more.

Even on the chicken board sometimes the answer really is patience. When someone is panicking about their chicks not hatching yet at the first hour of day 21 and what they should do the answer is nothing. Time and patience and the chicks will hatch so long as your temp and humidity are correct. If they keep worrying you can't really do anything. You just have to keep repeating to wait. If they give an hour by hour update they probably won't get many responses because not much will change and no one will have any new advice. The fact a chick pipped doesn't really prove or change anything except it's still alive and might hatch. There's nothing they can do but wait to see if it will.

Same situation but stretch it out over weeks or months instead of a day or 2. Day by day won't really change much when working with a sugar glider. Whether your method works, your gliders have the personality to be friendly, and they bond is not going to be known tomorrow so no one really has much more advice than to keep trying and be patient. Read the bonding 101 posts for more ideas and wait to see what result you get after several days or weeks. Then people will have a better idea if you're doing things right or if something else might get a better result for your particular gliders and abilities. In the meantime you might want to make a post in the diet section to figure out what exactly it is you are feeding. You probably need to get them on a better diet.

Last edited by Akane; 11/16/09 06:00 PM.

RIP sora :grey:

RIP Ryuu :grey:
Re: When will she quit biting? [Re: Akane] #867788
11/16/09 06:10 PM
11/16/09 06:10 PM
Illinois
MrsBerg Offline
Glider Explorer
MrsBerg  Offline
Glider Explorer

Illinois
Thank you Calamity Annie, no, I was not singling anyone out. There have been times when people here come across in a very intimidating manner, which, I am sure they do not intending to do. Your post on how to change topics was helpful as now she knows why no one answered her questions. That is all she was asking for, help. Sometimes, posts do not seem to be read carefully, and responses are not helpful or just a repeat of the previous posts. All I meant to say was that perhaps instead of the usual, "you will find much information here, we should post how to utilize the forum, for people who, like I was, are not used to such sites.
Msvalorie, I have no issues with you, whatever my husband did or did not do, I have no control over. He is his own man. I am speaking to all the people who are "old" timers here from the perspective of someone who is relatively new and inexperienced to site like this.

gangel Virga 9-10-2012
gangel Cirrus 4-29-2013

Re: When will she quit biting? [Re: MrsBerg] #867808
11/16/09 06:44 PM
11/16/09 06:44 PM
roseville, mi
H
hwh4ev Offline
Glider Addict
hwh4ev  Offline
Glider Addict
H

roseville, mi
on your original question abt biting. there are different
methods that people use. i have used the psst psst sound
at them and if that doesn't work i blow lightly in their
face. that is the only thing that worked for my pit bull
biter. also take the bite, do not put them back wherever
they were, they will learn that biting is unacceptable.

your bonding efforts sound like they are working.

i think you should check out the diets in this forum
as yours dont seem to be getting what they need.
they can get hlp and many other problems without the
correct ratio of calcium/phos. and vitamins that they
need.
but that is another post.

regards,
nancy in detroit

regards,
nancy in roseville (formerly in detroit)
Re: When will she quit biting? [Re: ] #867831
11/16/09 07:11 PM
11/16/09 07:11 PM
Red Oak Texas
anjill_tree Offline
Glider Guardian
anjill_tree  Offline
Glider Guardian

Red Oak Texas
Grammie, I am sorry, I was reading your updates, You said you would do that. It took me awhile to figure out my avatar too. Don't be discouraged. It sounds like you are on the right track, but, maybe you need to get your babies on an approved diet. I also want to say, I use mealworms , I set them on the palm of my hand, nibbling may occur, but after awhile, they will jump on your hand, and stay there to eat that goody. TIME ONLY TIME will get you the results you are looking for.
Worn out old advice, may be the only advice that works. As humans of course we like instant coffee, instant oatmeal, instant meals, but there is no such thing as instant "glider love me" . Hang in there please, DO not give up on your babies, or us humans on this forum.

Cathy Hart

Support Aspergers and Autism Research, help put the pieces together.
www.hartlandsugargliders.com
cathyhart2texas@yahoo.com
469-964-4152
Re: When will she quit biting? [Re: ] #868021
11/17/09 01:48 AM
11/17/09 01:48 AM

G
Greatestgrammie
Unregistered
Greatestgrammie
Unregistered
G

I did not know that I had to go to different "topic forums" with different issues. I started out with the "I'm New" forum and somehow got moved over to "bonding".
I don't want to do anything wrong but I didn't know to go from one forum topic to another. . . Extremely confusing.

Re: When will she quit biting? [Re: hwh4ev] #868023
11/17/09 01:52 AM
11/17/09 01:52 AM

G
Greatestgrammie
Unregistered
Greatestgrammie
Unregistered
G

THANK YOU hwh4ev. . . this is all I was asking of everyone/anyone.
I'm a pretty tough ole lady and I can take a nip or bite but that down right chewing to draw blood isn't going to float and I needed to get past that and with the trick of "Liquid Gold" I think we are past the blood drawing gnawing of my fingers but then again I'm pretty leary and watchful.

Re: When will she quit biting? [Re: Akane] #868030
11/17/09 02:28 AM
11/17/09 02:28 AM

G
Greatestgrammie
Unregistered
Greatestgrammie
Unregistered
G

The feed I am feeding is a pellet,about as big around as a pencil and about 1 inch long. A pretty brown color.
The label states that it contains. . .
22.0% Crude Protein (min)
9.0% Crude Fat (min)
4.0% Crude Fiber (max)

I call treats anything that I use that contains the sugars. Apple,Sweet Potato seem to please them the most. They have turned their noses up at Peanut Butter,Raisins,Yogurt,Smushed hard boiled egg,banana and Yellow Squash. They lap up the "liquid gold" that was suggested to me.
Right now,their diet doesn't seem to be a real issue except as you said kids will eat treats verses eating the food that is best for them.
I've got the Leadbeaters diet but I question the use of honey as I am afraid of glucose levels in these little creatures getting too high. I suspect that any Sugar Glider that shakes as in reference to a post I read is because of abnormally high blood glucose. . . ie hypoglycemia.
I've got the Tarango Zoo diet but not too keen on feeding too much in the way of raw meat as in day old chicks. I've learned that to feed alot of true protein as in meal worms,crickets,chicks etc can cause the Sugar Glider to smell too musky.
Perhaps between the 2 diets I can come up with something that I find that works with my preferences and for the good of the girls BUT here I go talking diet and we are in the "bonding" forum. I understand that if I want to talk diet I gotta go to the diet/nutrition section.
I started out in the "I'm New" forum and woke up one day to fing myself in the "bonding" section. . . Very confusin.
My point being with the chicken story is that I don't just leave it at . . .Don't worry it just takes time or just be patient. I try to alleviate any anxiety that the poster may be having when it comes to their experiences with their endeavors.

Re: When will she quit biting? [Re: ] #868062
11/17/09 05:37 AM
11/17/09 05:37 AM
Red Oak Texas
anjill_tree Offline
Glider Guardian
anjill_tree  Offline
Glider Guardian

Red Oak Texas
I use Reeps Wombaroo diet. I love it My gliders are more energetic. Their fur is smoother, eyes are brighter. And they eat all of it. ALso the most used diets I think are BML and HPW. It's really about research, and then your personal choice. The diet forum is great here.
I do suggset not combining diets, but to stick with one diet. Make sure the Calcium /Phospherous level are 2:1.

Cathy Hart

Support Aspergers and Autism Research, help put the pieces together.
www.hartlandsugargliders.com
cathyhart2texas@yahoo.com
469-964-4152
Re: When will she quit biting? [Re: anjill_tree] #868092
11/17/09 09:39 AM
11/17/09 09:39 AM

C
CalamityAnnie
Unregistered
CalamityAnnie
Unregistered
C

The reason you started out in "I'm new" and ended up in "bonding" is because your original question was about biting and the moderators of this forum moved your post here so that your question would reach the right people who could help you.
I understand your point about the chickens but unfortunalty gliders ane in no way like them. Chickens have a very specific way they "grow up". Gliders are WAY more like children and a process that works for one glider may not work for another. This is why it's a good idea to post in the right area. That way people with the right answers can find you.
See, I can't really help eith the biting issue because my girls were never big biters but if you checked out the behavior section you would see people with SEVERE biting problems (aka The pitbull biters!)
Everyone here has had a different glider experience and that is why it's hard for us to take you through this step by step (as you can with chickens).
If you need help posting to the right forum or navigating around this site let me know and I will be happy to help!

Re: When will she quit biting? [Re: ] #868155
11/17/09 12:55 PM
11/17/09 12:55 PM
roseville, mi
H
hwh4ev Offline
Glider Addict
hwh4ev  Offline
Glider Addict
H

roseville, mi
grammie,
i dont trust the honey either that is why i have my 4
gliders on the suncoast diet, gliders also like nectar
that you can get on line.
i feed my gliders boiled chicken, boiled eggs(without the
shell), meal worms, crickets and wax worms(once in a while
as wax worms are fattening) and my gliders do not stink
from the protein. that is only their protein, they also
get organic fruits, vegs. every night and some nectar 3
times a week. also they need their calcium and vitamin/
mineral daily on the suncoast diet.
my male does have a musky smell which is normal for a
intact male, my other male is sterile and has no smell.
i find if i change their pouches 2 or 3 times a week
it is fine.
well good luck with your gliders and have fun.
regards,
nancy in detroit

regards,
nancy in roseville (formerly in detroit)
Re: When will she quit biting? [Re: hwh4ev] #868946
11/18/09 11:52 PM
11/18/09 11:52 PM

G
glidermommie
Unregistered
glidermommie
Unregistered
G

I got my very first set of sugar gliders almost 7 weeks ago. They are 3 years old. They were in a couple homes (possibly more) before me. I have a tent I use every night. I put my gliders in the tent with me. I put some toys in there, and their running wheel, and let them do what ever they want. Sometimes I sit, and other times I lay down. They still dont come up to me as much as I would like, but I can see them very slowly getting closer to me, because they do climb on me once and a while. I also have some yogurt with me and dip my finger in it to get them to lick it off my finger. Thats my way of bribing them to come by me in the tent. Both gliders are very gentle when licking my fingers. You can get a tent at Walmart, and its not expensive. Using a tent every night will help you bond with your gliders faster. I know its working with my gliders.

My gliders are not fully bonded to me yet (I have quite a ways to go), but I am taking it day by day.

Re: When will she quit biting? [Re: ] #869489
11/19/09 11:34 PM
11/19/09 11:34 PM

J
JediMasterMatt
Unregistered
JediMasterMatt
Unregistered
J

Grammie, Don't think so much as to giving them licky treats (yogurt on your finger) as bribing them, what you are doing is creating trust that your hands are good and will not hurt them. Anytime you hand feed a treat you are reinforcing the idea that you will not hurt them. Their biting is just a reaction telling you that they are still scared of you and your hands.

P.S. Also remember that sugar gliders are sap suckers, and in the wild they use their teeth to remove bark from trees to get more sap. If you give them licky treats, and when it gets thin on your fingers, they may be biting you thinking that they'll get more.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 372 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,082 OHIO
487,164 OKLAHOMA
432,170 UTAH
321,695 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024