Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sugar Gliders with Birds? #806665
07/13/09 10:03 PM
07/13/09 10:03 PM

T
Tyne
Unregistered
Tyne
Unregistered
T

I have parrots. They are kept in the same room as my sugar gliders are. If the parrots get scared or excited or just bored they make noise. Squawking; calling back and forth to each other, etc. What I just found out is that because birds are the natural predator of sugar gliders, the sound of birds is hard for sugar gliders to live with.

There is no way for me to keep the gliders in a separate room from the birds. And yet I certainly do not want to subject my gliders to the "torment" of bird noises, if it is in fact such a big issue for them. I wonder, is there any way to insulate the gliders from excess noise? Or is the smell of birds also a problem?

I would appreciate posts with any knowledge, opinions, or experiences that you have had regarding sugar gliders and birds living in the same area. I want to gather up as much information as possible so that I can make an informed decision regarding this issue. Thank you!

Re: Sugar Gliders with Birds? [Re: ] #806669
07/13/09 10:12 PM
07/13/09 10:12 PM

M
monluvspagen
Unregistered
monluvspagen
Unregistered
M

I thought sugar gliders ate birds? I know they do... but probably parrot sized birds lol

I bet the noise does keep the little ones up during the day frown And the sugar gliders probably keep them up at night...

Re: Sugar Gliders with Birds? [Re: ] #806673
07/13/09 10:27 PM
07/13/09 10:27 PM

E
eden
Unregistered
eden
Unregistered
E

As a fellow parrot owner I would advise that you keep them apart because the Gliders will keep your birds up at night and not getting enough sleep is one of the known reasons parrots start plucking themselves from stress. I really don't know what affect the birds would have on the Gliders though. Just my .2 cents smile

Re: Sugar Gliders with Birds? [Re: ] #806735
07/13/09 11:42 PM
07/13/09 11:42 PM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Jackie_Chans_Mom  Offline
Glider Addict

Texas
I have parrots and gliders in the same room. Have for years. I have 8 cages of gliders in a room with a B&G macaw and have not had a single issue with bird noises frightening the gliders or with the gliders keeping Tala up at night. My other B&G sleeps in my main glider room with all the other cages of gliders. Again, no issues at all. I have 6 parrots and always have a cage of gliders with me as I work around the house. My gliders hear bird noises all throughout the day and they are never bothered by it.

Since gliders and birds both respond/react so strongly to the stress level of their mommies and daddies, I just don't stress about it. They absolutely hear bird noises in the wild and it isn't running them off. LOL. As long as you are careful and ensure that they don't have access to each other's cages, there really should not be a problem.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Sugar Gliders with Birds? [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #806741
07/13/09 11:49 PM
07/13/09 11:49 PM
Houston, Texas
gliderboy4life Offline
Glider Guardian
gliderboy4life  Offline
Glider Guardian

Houston, Texas
My gliders were always in the same room as my bird, she got moved down to the living room though.

I never saw any problems with having them in the same room.

Tyler Cleckley
www.GliderBoyGliders.com
Re: Sugar Gliders with Birds? [Re: ] #807056
07/14/09 04:54 PM
07/14/09 04:54 PM

T
Tyne
Unregistered
Tyne
Unregistered
T

Oh dear. A mutually detrimental living arrangement. My problem is that I have a breeding pair of conures in the bedroom that must stay separate from the pair of sister conures that have their cage in the living room. In other words, there are birds everywhere except the bathroom smile. I most certainly do not want to stress out the birds. They are my "babies" and I am very particular that everything be perfect for them.

I am going to have to do some extra hard thinking on this one. My birds have been louder since I got the gliders. They may, however, settle down eventually. The main night noise that can keep my birds awake is the wheel. I am considering buying a quieter one. Is there, that anyone here knows of, a silent one? Thanks!

Re: Sugar Gliders with Birds? [Re: ] #807114
07/14/09 06:12 PM
07/14/09 06:12 PM

G
gliderfan97
Unregistered
gliderfan97
Unregistered
G

In response to their being a quiet wheel, I am pretty sure the stealth is a quiet wheel. If you want to order one, go here: http://atticworx.com/atticworxproducts.htm

Re: Sugar Gliders with Birds? [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #807270
07/14/09 09:41 PM
07/14/09 09:41 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline OP
Administrator
Feather  Offline OP
Administrator

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Jackie_Chans_Mom
I have parrots and gliders in the same room. Have for years. I have 8 cages of gliders in a room with a B&G macaw and have not had a single issue with bird noises frightening the gliders or with the gliders keeping Tala up at night. My other B&G sleeps in my main glider room with all the other cages of gliders. Again, no issues at all. I have 6 parrots and always have a cage of gliders with me as I work around the house. My gliders hear bird noises all throughout the day and they are never bothered by it.

Since gliders and birds both respond/react so strongly to the stress level of their mommies and daddies, I just don't stress about it. They absolutely hear bird noises in the wild and it isn't running them off. LOL. As long as you are careful and ensure that they don't have access to each other's cages, there really should not be a problem.

I am with Val on this one, 5 parrots are in the same room with the gliders and I don't have any problems.

In the wild gliders are going to hear parrots and other wildlife moving around and going about their daily life while the gliders sleep and vice versa. The birds are going to hear the night animals doing their thing at night. As long as they can't get to each others cages there shouldn't be an issue.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Sugar Gliders with Birds? #808934
07/18/09 12:41 PM
07/18/09 12:41 PM
Skokie, IL
J
jeff866 Offline
Joey Member
jeff866  Offline
Joey Member
J

Skokie, IL
The only thing I don't like about the parrot and Glider combo is the Diurnal, and nocturnal issue. Lack of sleep lowers their immunity and they are more likely to get sick.

That being said, I have a Green Wing Macaw and a Moluccan Cockatoo that can blow your eardrums out from a block away.

They are not kept in the same room, but with the Cockatoo volume that really doesn't matter. Also, Cockatoos are a Gliders enemy in their native Australia. This is what stopped me from getting Gliders for such a long time. I have the exact Parrot that attacks Gliders. However, like the others have reported, I have had no issues.

Jeff

Let's Educate Chicago!

Jeff866@gmail.com
Sugar Gliders with Birds? #808997
07/18/09 03:01 PM
07/18/09 03:01 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline OP
Administrator
Feather  Offline OP
Administrator

Wisconsin
My parrots are in the same room as the gliders, but I would never allow the gliders to play in the parrots area or the parrots to play in the gliders area.

Their cages just share the same air space, the parrots are on the south east corner of the room and the gliders are on the north west corner of the room.

Thankfully my Galah isn't as loud a Moluccan. Actually all my parrots are quiet compared to parrots my friends have. They only really get loud when someone strange is in the room.

Kimberley
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Sugar Gliders with Birds? [Re: Feather] #809018
07/18/09 03:43 PM
07/18/09 03:43 PM

N
Nurturingnest
Unregistered
Nurturingnest
Unregistered
N

I have an African Grey as well and I keep him in a different room

I think the gliders would freak him out!

I would never recommending allowing inter species interactions especially when one is a prey and one is predator!

I would worry about parasited being passed between the two as well

Birds can carry weird stuff and we all know gliders can

Neither recover well from infections and can mask symptoms until it is too late

Re: Sugar Gliders with Birds? [Re: ] #809314
07/19/09 03:00 PM
07/19/09 03:00 PM

Z
Zaina
Unregistered
Zaina
Unregistered
Z

I have a African Grey parrot as well, but I keep my gliders in seperate rooms because parrot noises and just the sight of them cause sugar gliders stress and fear and this can affect their health over time.

Sugar Gliders with Birds? #809328
07/19/09 03:42 PM
07/19/09 03:42 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline OP
Administrator
Feather  Offline OP
Administrator

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Jackie_Chans_Mom

You have basically just bashed Val who is a well respected rescuer on this board and has years and years of experience with gliders. She hasn't experienced any problems having her birds caged in the same room as the gliders. I haven't had any problems having my birds caged in the same room as the gliders.

The only time your going to have problems is if you let them interact, in the wild gliders will eat baby birds, they probably catch and eat mice also. Yes, parrots could and probably do eat gliders in the wild, but a parrot is a prey animal and gliders are not going to feel threatened by a parrot that is caged all the way across the room from their cages. Mine couldn't see the parrot cages unless they got loose the way my room is set up.

In the wild there isn't going to be perfect silence while gliders are sleeping the same for when parrots are sleeping. There is always going to be noises in the wild, there are animals that are nocturnal hunters and there are animals that are day time hunters.

Animals adapt to their surroundings. It is a fact of life, be it in the wild or in our houses.

The upstanding senior members of this board know enough not to let their parrots or other pets interact with their gliders and we also know enough to no let our parrots interact with our other pets.

Kimberley

Re: Sugar Gliders with Birds? [Re: Feather] #809330
07/19/09 03:52 PM
07/19/09 03:52 PM

Z
Zaina
Unregistered
Zaina
Unregistered
Z

Well that's why they have a shorter life in the wild. Will all due respect, just because an experienced woman with gliders always had parrots in the same room as gliders doesn't mean we all have to agree with it and do the same. I prefer to listen to written facts, in which I have read in books written by actual people with years and years of experience for gliders. However, we are all entitled to our own opinion, without having to fight or be harsh. ohwell

Re: Sugar Gliders with Birds? [Re: ] #809351
07/19/09 04:48 PM
07/19/09 04:48 PM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
I truly think this is one area where perhaps it is up to the individual animals whether or not it is a problem!!! and the responsability of the owner to be aware enough of their own animals to see if stress is being caused.

Let me share examples:
Arwen hates having people look at her so much she will start to shake. Frodo couldnt care less. Gizmo runs and Kizmit bites.
My cat Moses see glider on floor...he couldnt care less and looks at me to say "do somehting about this..." someone else's cat may be different.
glider looks at pet duck like he is LUNCH but duck also looks at glider like he is LUNCH! (MY DUCK catches and eats mice in the yard!!!) how many ducks do that?
Most cats will attack a guinea pig but I had a cat who slept in the cage with my piggy, cuddles up together and the cat hunted when outside!
My piggy hates dogs but is not afraid of the wolves?!?
I have a DRAWF rabbit that chases the CAT!
wow is my house weird!
so you see...EVERY RELATIONSHIP AND ANIMAL IS DIFFERENT! why argue about it or insult people? **taps foot impatiently waiting for an answer**

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Sugar Gliders with Birds? [Re: JillMarie] #809369
07/19/09 05:04 PM
07/19/09 05:04 PM
Mesa, AZ
konotashi Offline
Glider Addict
konotashi  Offline
Glider Addict

Mesa, AZ
Keep in mind natural animal instincts.

Also, with all due respect, Val still bleeds blood just like everyone else. Mistakes can happen. Just because nothing has happened doesn't mean nothing will.

I would never trust my suggies even with my lab, who cuddles Salem all the time.

If I ever had a bird, I would never trust them with my suggies, no matter how gentle they are. A lot of birds can crack a walnut with their beaks without even trying.

What happens when a sugar glider escapes? What if they decide to get in the parrot cage across the room? (I'd assume most big parrots have 1 in. bar spacing or so).

Re: Sugar Gliders with Birds? [Re: JillMarie] #809370
07/19/09 05:05 PM
07/19/09 05:05 PM

Z
Zaina
Unregistered
Zaina
Unregistered
Z

JillMarie you are right, just like every person is different, every animal is different too.

Re: Sugar Gliders with Birds? [Re: konotashi] #809374
07/19/09 05:11 PM
07/19/09 05:11 PM

Z
Zaina
Unregistered
Zaina
Unregistered
Z

Originally Posted By: konotashi
Keep in mind natural animal instincts.

Also, with all due respect, Val still bleeds blood just like everyone else. Mistakes can happen. Just because nothing has happened doesn't mean nothing will.

I would never trust my suggies even with my lab, who cuddles Salem all the time.

If I ever had a bird, I would never trust them with my suggies, no matter how gentle they are. A lot of birds can crack a walnut with their beaks without even trying.

What happens when a sugar glider escapes? What if they decide to get in the parrot cage across the room? (I'd assume most big parrots have 1 in. bar spacing or so).

Yes, me too, whenever my cat is in the glider area in my room, I kick her out. I thought the same thing. Sydney has escaped before, he opened the latch himself! As for my parrot, she is very smart and opens the cage door herself and sits on top of the cage everyday.

Re: Sugar Gliders with Birds? [Re: ] #809377
07/19/09 05:14 PM
07/19/09 05:14 PM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Zaina
JillMarie you are right, just like every person is different, every animal is different too.

grin
thanks

noticed you are in jersey. me too! I am actually trying to get a list of jersey glider owners and find out why we havent had a glider meeting and when can we? perhaps we could just meet for lunch?

take this as a compliment .... I am usually very anti-social LOL

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Sugar Gliders with Birds? [Re: JillMarie] #809378
07/19/09 05:17 PM
07/19/09 05:17 PM

Z
Zaina
Unregistered
Zaina
Unregistered
Z

Originally Posted By: JillMarie
Originally Posted By: Zaina

grin
thanks

noticed you are in jersey. me too! I am actually trying to get a list of jersey glider owners and find out why we havent had a glider meeting and when can we? perhaps we could just meet for lunch?

take this as a compliment .... I am usually very anti-social LOL

I really don't know any glider owners here! That sounds like a great idea smile

Re: Sugar Gliders with Birds? [Re: ] #809697
07/20/09 01:32 PM
07/20/09 01:32 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Rule 4. GliderCENTRAL is a family oriented "G" rated board, be polite,courteous and respectful to other board members at all times. This means Illegal substances, Illegal activities, flaming, sexually explicit subjects, cursing, spamming, harassing, policing, diet bashing, and abusive or negative personal posts are not allowed. Posts and sometimes entire topics that contain such content will be removed, and the poster(s) may be warned, suspended or banned at the discretion of the board administrators. Abuse, flaming or inappropriate comments directed toward GliderCENTRAL, its Moderators and Administrators, or failure to comply with the direction of a Moderator or Administrator, the poster(s) may be warned, suspended or banned at the discretion of the board administrators. Please keep any personal matters off the board, take it to email or pm. Please keep in mind that board rules do apply when using the pm feature. Since we are a G rated board, the decision has been made not to allow any web blog links like below due to non G rated material on them.

This thread has been edited and returned to the board for further discussion, HOWEVER, if comments return as before it may be locked.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 371 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,552 TEXAS
679,069 OHIO
487,140 OKLAHOMA
432,142 UTAH
321,666 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024