Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: People who Attended the Ohio gathering please [Re: ] #672638
11/11/08 06:13 PM
11/11/08 06:13 PM

S
suggiemom
Unregistered
suggiemom
Unregistered
S

She said hookworms, but according to Cindy, that could be in error depending on the microscope, etc. I've got a call into my vet, however, she prescribed the panacur as well so the treatment is the same, but I will make sure she gets all of the information we have.

Re: People who Attended the Ohio gathering please [Re: ] #672641
11/11/08 06:15 PM
11/11/08 06:15 PM

K
KristopherDeRose
Unregistered
KristopherDeRose
Unregistered
K

ya I understand that laurie

Re: People who Attended the Ohio gathering please [Re: ] #672696
11/11/08 08:06 PM
11/11/08 08:06 PM
Kansas City, MO
Laurens_Babies Offline
Glider Addict
Laurens_Babies  Offline
Glider Addict

Kansas City, MO
Can you guys give GC an update please, I have been told LGG is being updated but some are not members or can not read. And I think that the GC community should be aware of what is going on as much as is known right now.

~Lauren

Lauren's Animal Kingdom
*Website is down temporarily should be back up by November!*
Re: People who Attended the Ohio gathering please [Re: Laurens_Babies] #672703
11/11/08 08:26 PM
11/11/08 08:26 PM

G
glidernanny
Unregistered
glidernanny
Unregistered
G

Originally Posted By: Laurens_Babies
Can you guys give GC an update please, I have been told LGG is being updated but some are not members or can not read. And I think that the GC community should be aware of what is going on as much as is known right now.

ditto-i'm not on LGG and was involved in Suki's RR

Re: People who Attended the Ohio gathering please [Re: ] #672741
11/11/08 09:24 PM
11/11/08 09:24 PM
NW Missouri
princessmegi Offline
Serious Glideritis
princessmegi  Offline
Serious Glideritis

NW Missouri
That thread is moving too fast to post everything here too. We hit page 23 and are on like page 5 of a part 2 thread, plus there is a 3rd records thread that is going, so there's no way we can move everything over.

"My doctrine is this: that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and we do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt." ~ Anna Sewell, English Novelist
Re: People who Attended the Ohio gathering please [Re: princessmegi] #672756
11/11/08 09:44 PM
11/11/08 09:44 PM
Kansas City, MO
Laurens_Babies Offline
Glider Addict
Laurens_Babies  Offline
Glider Addict

Kansas City, MO
No one asked for everything but how about SOMETHING??

~Lauren

Lauren's Animal Kingdom
Re: People who Attended the Ohio gathering please [Re: Laurens_Babies] #672760
11/11/08 09:50 PM
11/11/08 09:50 PM
Kansas City, MO
Laurens_Babies Offline
Glider Addict
Laurens_Babies  Offline
Glider Addict

Kansas City, MO
I think the most alarming part about how Nina has sick gliders she got from Kris D at SGGA

~Lauren

Lauren's Animal Kingdom
Re: People who Attended the Ohio gathering please [Re: Laurens_Babies] #672765
11/11/08 09:54 PM
11/11/08 09:54 PM
Orlando, FL
GangstersMom Offline
Glider Guardian
GangstersMom  Offline
Glider Guardian

Orlando, FL
Lauren I think the reason it hadnt been put out there yet, was because they want to be certain before they start a mass panic, by say posting something like THAT on GC!

heart~*~Brandy~*~heart

Re: People who Attended the Ohio gathering please [Re: GangstersMom] #672766
11/11/08 09:57 PM
11/11/08 09:57 PM
Kansas City, MO
Laurens_Babies Offline
Glider Addict
Laurens_Babies  Offline
Glider Addict

Kansas City, MO
Dunno greater of two evils IMO. Make people panic and get their gliders tested when it isn't needed or let people think nothing is wrong and a glider getting VERY sick like Lidia overnight and someone not as experienced as Lynsie not read the signs right and end up with dead gliders. I'm NOT trying to cause drama, NO SIR!!! I'm just very alarmed at the news I've been hearing. VERY alarmed. I'm taking my 11 gliders in Friday for full check ups and fecals despite not really being in contact with these gliders.

~Lauren

Lauren's Animal Kingdom
Re: People who Attended the Ohio gathering please [Re: Laurens_Babies] #672771
11/11/08 10:05 PM
NW Missouri
princessmegi Offline
Serious Glideritis
princessmegi  Offline
Serious Glideritis

NW Missouri
These gliders aren't exhibiting ANY symptoms, as is the case many times with parasites. Some gliders may, but others won't.

"My doctrine is this: that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and we do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt." ~ Anna Sewell, English Novelist
Re: People who Attended the Ohio gathering please [Re: Laurens_Babies] #672772
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Quote:
I think the most alarming part about how Nina has sick gliders she got from Kris D at SGGA

NOOOO this is NOT what was said....what was said was Nina has gliders that have this parasite as well....ONE cyst was found...ONE...therefore we can NOT connect it from this glider having this at the SGGA...

It very well just could be that we as a community as a whole do NOT test for this and maybe we should...

We do NOT know as of yet WHERE or WHEN this originated, so please not start hitting the panic alarm as of yet....

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: People who Attended the Ohio gathering please [Re: Srlb] #672775
11/11/08 10:10 PM
11/11/08 10:10 PM
Kansas City, MO
Laurens_Babies Offline
Glider Addict
Laurens_Babies  Offline
Glider Addict

Kansas City, MO
Originally Posted By: Srlb
[quote]please not start hitting the panic alarm as of yet....

Lol sorry mine is all ready being hit. I will sit on my hands and wait.

Last edited by Laurens_Babies; 11/11/08 10:11 PM.

~Lauren

Lauren's Animal Kingdom
Re: People who Attended the Ohio gathering please [Re: Laurens_Babies] #672777
11/11/08 10:12 PM
11/11/08 10:12 PM
NW Missouri
princessmegi Offline
Serious Glideritis
princessmegi  Offline
Serious Glideritis

NW Missouri
I agree Peggy. Our dogs are tested annually for worms, so maybe it's something that will need to be done with gliders.

Re: People who Attended the Ohio gathering please [Re: princessmegi] #672780
11/11/08 10:16 PM
11/11/08 10:16 PM
Kansas City, MO
Laurens_Babies Offline
Glider Addict
Laurens_Babies  Offline
Glider Addict

Kansas City, MO
I thought it was expected to do fecals done on yearly exam??? I've always done fecals on yearly exams, actually I do fecals on anyone who hits the vet. Then again my vet and I have had a long relationship with my gliders and other pets, and he is pretty good about costs. So its easy for me to be safe rather than sorry. So I'm going to jump the gun and take everyone in Friday for testing wink . My prayers are with anyone effected by this.

~Lauren

Lauren's Animal Kingdom
Re: People who Attended the Ohio gathering please [Re: Laurens_Babies] #672787
11/11/08 10:24 PM
11/11/08 10:24 PM
Kansas City, MO
Laurens_Babies Offline
Glider Addict
Laurens_Babies  Offline
Glider Addict

Kansas City, MO
Oh another thing I heard a theory this may have come thru the food??? Totally slim chance but what about those people who sell repackaged HPW???? Since someone could have fecal matter come into touch with a humans hands and that human hand feed something to the gliders, isn't it possible someone repackaging HPW could have an infected glider repackage HPW and bing bang boom?? I know its a slim chance but just throwing that out there. AND repackaged YOGGIES??

~Lauren

Lauren's Animal Kingdom
Re: People who Attended the Ohio gathering please [Re: Laurens_Babies] #672791
11/11/08 10:28 PM
11/11/08 10:28 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
It could be a NUMBER of things....but we HAVE to slow down and take one step at a time...

Gliders SHOULD have fecals done TWICE a year for ANY animal. every six months...

I'll let Bourbon fill in the rest...

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: People who Attended the Ohio gathering please [Re: Laurens_Babies] #672792
11/11/08 10:30 PM
11/11/08 10:30 PM
Bee-Bopping round SnakePit USA
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

lauren before a diet scare is started.. that would go for any thing, bottles, food dishes, toys, veggies anything.. how about your carpet or sofa being a culprit, how about your tent or your reptarium, or guess what something as simple as your shirt, your arm, ahhh your lips..

Re: People who Attended the Ohio gathering please [Re: Bourbon] #672800
11/11/08 10:42 PM
11/11/08 10:42 PM
Kansas City, MO
Laurens_Babies Offline
Glider Addict
Laurens_Babies  Offline
Glider Addict

Kansas City, MO
LMAO I thought it was YOU who brought up the diet stuff??? I told T to give you a call with my theories I got house stuff to do so I'm going to get off here. wink

~Lauren

Lauren's Animal Kingdom
Re: People who Attended the Ohio gathering please [Re: Laurens_Babies] #672894
11/12/08 12:19 AM
11/12/08 12:19 AM
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

No I said a questionairre should be done that would include any and all variables .. not to exclude diets, as well as who all was in contact with the gliders or in their vicinity, housing toys, etc. There are many possibilities to consider, and no one should jump the gun or blame anyone for anything. there is a process to narrowing down which all gliders may be infected.. or where it started. Our main concern is to get the gliders that may have been infected identified and treated.

And as Peggy had touched on.......

This could have been avoided, and may not have been the issue it is, if a couple of things had been done and not taken for granted..

Quarantine - minimum of 30 days.......regardless of who you get your gliders from or how old they are

Fecal Checks - this should be done when you first get your glider or as a rescue home when they first enter your home,

for the first 2 years they should be done every 3 months, after that they should be done at least 2 times a year every 6 months.

Fecals are not that expensive, many times you don't even have to take your gliders in, just drop of fecal samples.

the fecals can find a lot of hidden problems regarding parasites.

Re: People who Attended the Ohio gathering please [Re: Laurens_Babies] #672895
11/12/08 12:20 AM
11/12/08 12:20 AM

G
glidernanny
Unregistered
glidernanny
Unregistered
G

I don't care the slightest bit where it has come from or what it has come from at this point or who gets mad at whom. What I do care about is an identifiable real name of this wormy little booger that I can share w/my vet so that she can know exactly what we are looking for. I would also like any other information, or just point me in the right direction to find it myself as I'm not having luck on my own, as to EVERY precaution I need to be taking to ensure the health of my gliders such as what kills it, what doesn't kill it, can it live without a host, if so for how long, how long can it be dormant, and every other miniscule little tidbit of information I can get to know that I am doing all I can to protect my babies. I don't and won't do LGG and expect the courtesy of being given any information available.

Re: People who Attended the Ohio gathering please [Re: ] #672917
11/12/08 12:47 AM
11/12/08 12:47 AM
NW Missouri
princessmegi Offline
Serious Glideritis
princessmegi  Offline
Serious Glideritis

NW Missouri
They are called Strongyles. They are a parasite. You need to have a fecal float (and smear if you wish) done by your vet.

Re: People who Attended the Ohio gathering please [Re: princessmegi] #672919
11/12/08 12:51 AM
11/12/08 12:51 AM

G
glidernanny
Unregistered
glidernanny
Unregistered
G

Originally Posted By: princessmegi
They are called Strongyles. They are a parasite. You need to have a fecal float (and smear if you wish) done by your vet.

thank u princessmegi-i've heard both the float and the smear now so i will be having both on all 14 of my gliders and now that i have a name for this thing my own attempts at research should come out better

Re: People who Attended the Ohio gathering please [Re: ] #672933
11/12/08 01:03 AM
11/12/08 01:03 AM
Gallatin, TN (near Nashville)
tngliderlover Offline
Glider Lover
tngliderlover  Offline
Glider Lover

Gallatin, TN (near Nashville)
I hope we get all the suggies well really soon. OMG I hate that this happened. As others have said, it shows how important quarantine and hygiene measures are, regardless of where you get your glider from. (Yes, I'm taking this to heart!)

I helped railroad Suki. I picked him up last Monday in Gallatin at lunch-time and then drove to SC where Laurie met up with me about 8 PM in SC. He stayed in his pouch inside a pet taxi with the seat belt around it while I drove the 8 hour trip. I gave him some water while he was in his pouch. After Laurie got her baby and we ate dinner at the Cracker Barrel, I then spent 2 nights in Atlanta with my parents. My gliders were not with me on the trip and never had any contact with Suki. Suki, please get better soon!

I'm calling my vet tomorrow and I'll see what he thinks about my gliders risk of exposure (I can't think of any but will play it safe). All of them had clear fecals about 3 weeks ago at their wellness exam.

~Lynn~
Re: People who Attended the Ohio gathering please [Re: tngliderlover] #672945
11/12/08 01:21 AM
11/12/08 01:21 AM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
I believe that a "panic" is totally unnecessary on this. Concern...yes but not panic. It is very simple, have fecals done on your gliders. If they test positive, treat them. If not and you are still concerned, wait a couple of weeks and have them tested again.

Realistically, we should be having fecals done on our gliders every 6 months or so to check for giardia (a nasty little bug that can stay hidden until the gliders are really sick) and other potential issues so just make sure your vets are checking for other parasites as well.

I don't believe this comes back to the HPW diet or the ingredients of the diet. While I am not a fan of repackaged food items for our gliders, realistically, if you are using bee pollen, you are giving your gliders repackaged foods. The Wambaroo powder, again, if you are unsure, don't buy the repackaged foods. Not all vendors sell repackaged wambaroo. But I don't think this traces back to the HPW ingredients.

Placing blame or even determining the "source" of this parasite is not going to help the gliders. Only fecal testing and treatment (if necessary) is going to help. If you do have a glider test positive, then by all means, share that with not only those that have recently got gliders from you or you got gliders from but also anyone that has come in contact with you and/or your gliders. If you have an infected glider, you could have a cyst on you (or your clothing) that can be passed to someone who then goes home to their gliders and passes it to them.

What this really comes down to is proper sanitizing practices, proper vet care (specifically the fecal exams) and proper quarentine practices of gliders you bring into your home.

I have not come in contact with any of these gliders. I had considered taking in my gliders to all be tested kinda as a "control" group. However, this particular type of parasite is equine. I have horses so it is posible that my gliders test positive even though I've had no contact with these other infected gliders or their owners. So, not really a good "control" group after all.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: People who Attended the Ohio gathering please [Re: ] #672989
11/12/08 02:24 AM
11/12/08 02:24 AM
Austin, Tx
PocketPrincess Offline
Glider Lover
PocketPrincess  Offline
Glider Lover

Austin, Tx
I would also get yourself and the rest of your animals tested if any of your gliders are positive for worms. They can be transferred by contact with feces and you could come in contact with it through cage cleaning. Hookworms and roundworms can and will penetrate your skin.

Mommy to:
One Skin Kid: Emily Kathryn born 07-23-07
A German Shepherd and Pink Poodle: Wrangler and Flirt
1 Rat: Lizzy Borden
16 Suggies: Bella, Edward, Jasper, Emmett, Rosalie, Alice, and Renesme, Liberty, Justice, America, and Glenn, Hope, Tony, Abby, Ziva, and Jethro

Re: People who Attended the Ohio gathering please [Re: PocketPrincess] #672991
11/12/08 02:32 AM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
So are strongyles and hookworms and roundworms all the same thing? What do I need to be asking my vet to look for?

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: People who Attended the Ohio gathering please [Re: PocketPrincess] #672993
Quincy, IL 62305
Lynsie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Lynsie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Quincy, IL 62305
My vet told me that strongyles can NOT be transmitted to other species.

Re: People who Attended the Ohio gathering please [Re: Lynsie] #672996
11/12/08 02:36 AM
11/12/08 02:36 AM
Austin, Tx
PocketPrincess Offline
Glider Lover
PocketPrincess  Offline
Glider Lover

Austin, Tx
Everything I have read says that strongyles are zoonotic and can be transferred between species.

Mommy to:
16 Suggies: Bella, Edward, Jasper, Emmett, Rosalie, Alice, and Renesme, Liberty, Justice, America, and Glenn, Hope, Tony, Abby, Ziva, and Jethro

Re: People who Attended the Ohio gathering please [Re: PocketPrincess] #673000
11/12/08 02:38 AM
11/12/08 02:38 AM
Austin, Tx
PocketPrincess Offline
Glider Lover
PocketPrincess  Offline
Glider Lover

Austin, Tx
And, are we sure we are looking at strongyles? They seem to be prominent in equine and bovine type animals and are a bloodworm, not an intestinal worm?

Mommy to:

Re: People who Attended the Ohio gathering please [Re: PocketPrincess] #673021
11/12/08 03:02 AM
11/12/08 03:02 AM
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

here is a link you may be interested in reading more about the various stronglyes

http://www.ranvet.com.au/horse_worms__wormers__the_fact.htm

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 379 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,551 TEXAS
679,068 OHIO
487,134 OKLAHOMA
432,138 UTAH
321,663 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024