Sugar Glider Community Calendar

Please click here to see larger view
Articles
More coming soon!!
Today's Birthdays
hollypop, petsugargliders
Member Spotlight
None yet
Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Pre Made TPG Food
by SugarGliderSuppe. 09/11/26 02:34 AM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) #927574
04/07/10 12:08 PM
04/07/10 12:08 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
So I have a theory about Mosaic genetics... I'm hoping some of the more knowledgeable members will be able to back me up, or correct this. I don't usually meddle with genetics, but I think I may be on to something.


Let me start with the WF gene. It is a dominant gene, so both homozygous AND heterozygous gliders will look like WF gliders.


Lets label WF as "F" and standard grey as "f"



So, a "super" WF (any WF that when bred with a standard grey only produces WF joeys)
is homozygous for the WF gene. Its alleles look like this:

FF

A normal, heterozygous, WF can produce either WF or grey when paired with a grey, so its alleles look like this:

Ff


Correct me if I am wrong, but this is the theory behind why higher gen WF gliders are more desirable. The chance that they are homozygous for WF, or "super" WF gliders increases with each gen.





So, here's my theory:


Wouldn't the mosaic gene work the same way? My interest was piqued when a potential buyer for my little mosaic joey told me that she wanted to breed her to an unrelated mo male. She has also made a post about this titled Would You Do It?.


I know that mosaics are more expensive than WF, so people just breed them to standard greys because at least some of the joeys will be MOs.


Well, what if people started breeding "super" MOs that would ONLY produce mosaic joeys when paired with standard greys? I think this would increase their value.

Having a "super" MO would be very useful in proving other breeding theories... I know someone wants to breed a mosaic creme-ino.... well a super MO would provide that answer with the very first joey.





Ok, that's about it. Any ideas? I know the MO lines were too close together to do any breeding like this a few years ago, but now the lines have been bred out to the point that the test joey that Heather_Wilder created on The Pet Glider database has an inbred percentage of just 2.5%



Please go easy on me all of you genetics experts!


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: oakley] #927583
04/07/10 12:37 PM
04/07/10 12:37 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,224
North Fort Worth - TX
jacknsally Offline
Glider Addict
jacknsally  Offline
Glider Addict

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,224
North Fort Worth - TX
How do you know you have a "Super" and who to pair it with? I would think you don't know you have a super till after they've produced a pattern.

Am I missing something?


Ñancy
~Always on my mind & in my heart Jack, Sally & Serenity~


Mobmilli's Boutique
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: jacknsally] #927587
04/07/10 12:43 PM
04/07/10 12:43 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
Exactly Nancy... that's why people advertise their WF as 3rd gen or 5th gen.... the higher the gen, the higher the chance that the glider is a "super" or homozygous WF.

You wouldn't know until you breed to a standard grey, but it would be just like the WF gene... I also have a feeling that the "super" mosaics may be lighter and flashier than the heterozygous ones... kind of like how the super WF gliders are much lighter than the others.


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: oakley] #927591
04/07/10 01:01 PM
04/07/10 01:01 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,269
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,269
WI
My Super whiteface is a 2nd generation and is not lighter than my other Whitefaces. Her 1st generation mate is actually lighter than she is.

So this is not always the case, yes you could get a super Mo, but you probably would not be able to tell the difference. Sometimes you probably could, just like sometimes you could tell the difference in a super WF.

The value of Mo's is going down so fast, because there are so many of them now (plus economy) I really don't think having a potential super mo is going to increase the value much at all.

Then you get into problems with inbreeding eventually. If you keep crossing all the mosaic lines to try to get a super mo, you're going run out eventually... How high of a generation number can you tack onto a Mo before you can't anymore, or are inbreeding again? There are already sterility problems with one of the lines, you would probably have to cross the non-sterile with that line eventually, and then you are introducing sterility to the non-sterile line.

Not to make it all a slippery slope or anything, but I really do not see anything but potential problems if people start doing this to try for a mo that produces mo's 100% of the time.


Allie
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Glide_Bye_Lily] #927592
04/07/10 01:06 PM
04/07/10 01:06 PM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,570
Kansas City, MO
Laurens_Babies Offline
Glider Addict
Laurens_Babies  Offline
Glider Addict

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,570
Kansas City, MO
Seeing as you can pair mo and mo and the genetic possibility is only 75% mo's I don't think playing with lines trying to get as many mosaics as possible is necessary, aren't there enough out there that can't get good homes so that breeders are cutting prices to a 4th of what they were costing a year ago?


~Lauren

Lauren's Animal Kingdom
*Website is down temporarily should be back up by November!*
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Glide_Bye_Lily] #927593
04/07/10 01:08 PM
04/07/10 01:08 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
Glide_Bye_Lily

I see your point... and I think the same is true with higher gen WF... the chance of inbreeding DOES increase... but just as the lines have been bred out in the past, they will be in the future. **look at the new platinums**

The same happens with dogs... when a breed is new, inbreeding and line breeding is used so that the desirable characteristics are achieved... look at the "foundation" gliders for the leu lines, creme-ino line, MO lines, Albinos etc... they were all inbred or line bred in the beginning. There is a post about this, and that's not what I'm trying to figure out here. Yes, there is a sterility issue with some MO lines, but I believe breeders are doing a good job of breeding that out.

So back to the topic at hand... a "super" MO would be more valuable... but by how much? I don't know... nor do I care all that much. I'm just wondering if anyone else believes this could be a possibility.

I'm not saying I think we should all start breeding for super MO's, I'm just asking if you think the gene works in that simple dominance way where a homozygous mosaic would be possible.


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Laurens_Babies] #927595
04/07/10 01:12 PM
04/07/10 01:12 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Laurens_Babies
Seeing as you can pair mo and mo and the genetic possibility is only 75% mo's I don't think playing with lines trying to get as many mosaics as possible is necessary, aren't there enough out there that can't get good homes so that breeders are cutting prices to a 4th of what they were costing a year ago?

-I agree. But please keep to the topic here. I'm posing a genetics question, and I think this could lead to a very interesting discussion. Yes the price of mosaics has gone down due to the recent economy and increase in the number of MOs available, but I'm wanting to talk about the hypothetical stuff here because I think the genetics is interesting.


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: oakley] #927597
04/07/10 01:19 PM
04/07/10 01:19 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,749
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,749
80 acres of paradise in KS
I personally don't believe in "super wf" gliders.

I have my 2nd gen wfs that produced nothing but wf joeys. From some of their 3rd gen joeys that I've kept or have been in breeding programs with others, only produced wf joeys.

Atleast until my last little joey. He should have been a 4.5 gen wf but instead is a little black beauty!

I think the term "super wf" was put on gliders "off hand".

I would very much like to see some scientific genetic studies that shows there IS such a thing as "super wf".


620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance


The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: oakley] #927598
04/07/10 01:24 PM
04/07/10 01:24 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,269
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,269
WI
What is the topic you want discussed?

It seems like we're trying to answer you, but you're saying we're going off topic? dunno


Allie
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Laurens_Babies] #927600
04/07/10 01:27 PM
04/07/10 01:27 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Laurens_Babies
Seeing as you can pair mo and mo and the genetic possibility is only 75% mo's



I think you're a little off here... yes, one possibility would be 75%... but the possibilities do vary.

Mosaic= M
gray= m

If you paired two MO's together, here are the different possibilities:


Parent 1: Mm
Parent 2: Mm
** MM chance: 25% Mm chance: 50% mm chance: 25% **


Parent 1: MM
Parent 2: Mm
** MM chance: 50% Mm chance: 50% mm chance: 0% **


Parent 1: MM
Parent 2: MM
** MM chance: 100% Mm chance: 0% mm chance: 0%**




Does anyone know if the dominant mosaic gene is simple dominance? I think it is, which would make this work... Please correct me if I'm wrong.


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Glide_Bye_Lily] #927601
04/07/10 01:31 PM
04/07/10 01:31 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Glide_Bye_Lily
What is the topic you want discussed?

It seems like we're trying to answer you, but you're saying we're going off topic? dunno

- I'm just trying to discuss genetics... I'm not trying to talk about whether or not breeding for this is ethically good to do. It's all hypothetical and focused on learning more about the genetics.


I think you made some good points, but I also think that we could have an entire thread about breeding ethics (I'm sure we do have a few on that topic!)


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: oakley] #927603
04/07/10 01:34 PM
04/07/10 01:34 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,269
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,269
WI
Originally Posted By: oakley
So, here's my theory:[/size]

Wouldn't the mosaic gene work the same way? [/color] Technically yes, it would work the same way.

My interest was piqued when a potential buyer for my little mosaic joey told me that she wanted to breed her to an unrelated mo male. She has also made a post about this titled Would You Do It?.


I know that mosaics are more expensive than WF, so people just breed them to standard greys because at least some of the joeys will be MOs.


Well, what if people started breeding "super" MOs that would ONLY produce mosaic joeys when paired with standard greys? I think this would increase their value. [/color] Probably not too much.

Having a "super" MO would be very useful in proving other breeding theories... I know someone wants to breed a mosaic creme-ino.... well a super MO would provide that answer with the very first joey.

[/color] How would this prove first try? Yes you would get mosaics, but creme-ino is recessive and you need an allele from each parent, It's not a guarantee that it would work first try.





Ok, that's about it. Any ideas? I know the MO lines were too close together to do any breeding like this a few years ago, but now the lines have been bred out to the point that the test joey that Heather_Wilder created on The Pet Glider database has an inbred percentage of just 2.5%



Please go easy on me all of you genetics experts!


Allie
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Dancing] #927605
04/07/10 01:35 PM
04/07/10 01:35 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Dancing
I personally don't believe in "super wf" gliders.

I have my 2nd gen wfs that produced nothing but wf joeys. From some of their 3rd gen joeys that I've kept or have been in breeding programs with others, only produced wf joeys.

Atleast until my last little joey. He should have been a 4.5 gen wf but instead is a little black beauty!

I think the term "super wf" was put on gliders "off hand".

I would very much like to see some scientific genetic studies that shows there IS such a thing as "super wf".



^^I think this is a VERY valid point to what I'm trying to discuss here. You cannot label a glider as a "super" WF until it is proven to be so by breeding. If you look into the simple mendelian genetics of the WF gene... it would be possible to breed multiple generations and still have the recessive trait (gray) show up every now and then. The higher the generation really just gives you a better chance of having that homozygous or "super" (like 66% het vs 33%)


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: oakley] #927608
04/07/10 01:44 PM
04/07/10 01:44 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
Quote:
How would this prove first try? Yes you would get mosaics, but creme-ino is recessive and you need an allele from each parent, It's not a guarantee that it would work first try.



Good point! I suppose having a MM mosaic would be useful, but it still wouldn't guarantee mo colored creme-ino's!


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: oakley] #927609
04/07/10 01:53 PM
04/07/10 01:53 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,855
Orlando, FL
Tish84 Offline
Glider Slave
Tish84  Offline
Glider Slave

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,855
Orlando, FL
I think Suggiemom has 2 MOs currently together. You are right that the lines have been bred out due to the fact that it is a dominant trait. The thing is I have seen gliders labelled as Super Creminos too who hadn't even been bred yet, genetically speaking, how do you know you have a MM instead of a Mm?

I don't feel it's wrong to put Mo and Mo together but when it comes to COI, I look at a pairs COI and try to make sure any line I match their joeys with will lower the COI. I think that is better for the lines. This is something I have to look at closely since I am breeding within the cremino line. I think if you keep crossing MOs to get a line of Supers....you will eventually be bringing the COI back up. When I decided to breed, I did it because the genetics interested me so. A goal I set for myself is if I want to go with genetics and new color variations, I'd still need to strive for lowering the COI each generation.

I wanted to note I am on the band wagon trying to make a MO cremino, but I'm not sure if a "Super" cremino or MO would have worked considering unless you have run DNA, you can't really tell if they are Super even if they come from a Super line. I even spoke to a large breeder about this and she still had doubts about the Super line continuing to be Super.

Last edited by Tish84; 04/07/10 01:57 PM.

TISH

Lana (Siberian Husky)
2 Turtles
Bunny
:bb: :leu: :wfb: :rtmo: :cream:
Lily Fawkes Kingsley Ice Regulus Romeo Mimkin Saturn Jupiter Taiyou Kat Julianna

Glide Free My little Lily And Ice (Miss you every day)


www.fancysuggies.com
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Glide_Bye_Lily] #927613
04/07/10 02:00 PM
04/07/10 02:00 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,749
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,749
80 acres of paradise in KS
I guess here is what has me confused.

Start with the definitions.

Homozygous refers to having identical alleles for a single trait.

Heterozygous refers to having two different alleles for a single trait.

In theory, there "should" be hets for mosaic or hets for wf (as we use the term in relationship to gliders) but for some odd reason, gliders just don't work that way.

We know that for a glider to be mosaic, it has to be homozygous or it wouldn't express the trait. Same for the wf.

In simpler terms. You have to have one mosaic parent to get a mosaic joey. You have to have one wf parent to get a wf joey. Because of that, we (the general public) will say there is no such thing as "het for" mosaic or wf. This has been shown over time with the wf gliders. All those years where breeders sold "het for wf" only to find out that two "hets for wf" wouldn't/couldn't produce wf joeys.

If you put a wf or mosaic with a grey. You are introducing OTHER alleles to the soup. Since a grey can't be homozygous for wf (or it would be a wf), you are still working on the same "gamble" that the wf/grey pair will produce something other than wf. Just because out of the 12 or 20 joeys they have, none are grey, does not mean that the wf parent is a "super wf". It just is the luck of the genetic draw that each of those joeys got the wf allele sequencing right to make it a wf.

If you breed two mosaics, then you should be able to produce nothing but mosaics but that doesn't make either one or their offspring a "super mosaic". Because when you then put that offspring with a non mosiac, you still have the chance of non mosaic joeys. Again, it is luck of the genetic draw.

In theory though, IF we could run dna panels on gliders, we might be able to take two "hets" and put them together and MAYBE the alleles would line up just right (getting one wf allele from one parent and one from the other) to make a wf joey from non wf "het" parents. We just haven't seen this.


620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance


The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Tish84] #927618
04/07/10 02:05 PM
04/07/10 02:05 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
Tish,

You are right. There really is no way of knowing what a glider is without DNA testing or by breeding the glider.

I've seen the super cremeinos too... and I think the term "super" is being mis-used frequently.


SUPER is a term that labels the glider as being homozygous for whatever trait he/she may have. Homozygous means two of the same allele... A glider can be Homozygous domnant, or homozygous recessive.

In fact, it would be correct to label all leucistic gliders as homozygous or "super" but the term has evolved to mean more than just homozygous.

I think that people are more loosely using the term to mean "I think this glider will only produce more of the same color if it is paired with a standard gray". This kind of labeling is incorrect. I think it is better to stick with the generation.


A 5th gen WF will be MORE likely to be homozygous than a 1st gen.


I agree with you about SUPER lines as well.... there really cannot be a SUPER line... only SUPER individuals... so perhaps we should keep counting gen and let that speak for itself. dunno


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Dancing] #927619
04/07/10 02:09 PM
04/07/10 02:09 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,855
Orlando, FL
Tish84 Offline
Glider Slave
Tish84  Offline
Glider Slave

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,855
Orlando, FL
The tricky thing about genetics and the punnet square is every new joey get a restart of the same punnet square the last one did.

I knew when I started breeding MOs and Creminos together my punnet square was gonna get a lot more tricky considering MO has been proven to be Co-dominant, but cremino hasn't YET.


TISH

Lana (Siberian Husky)
2 Turtles
Bunny
:bb: :leu: :wfb: :rtmo: :cream:
Lily Fawkes Kingsley Ice Regulus Romeo Mimkin Saturn Jupiter Taiyou Kat Julianna

Glide Free My little Lily And Ice (Miss you every day)


www.fancysuggies.com
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: oakley] #927621
04/07/10 02:11 PM
04/07/10 02:11 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,749
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,749
80 acres of paradise in KS
It isn't as simple as a glider being homozygous or heterozygous...it gets more complicated when you factor in which is dominant or recessive too.


On a semi-side note. If we could get all this figured out, I bet we could have more wf/wt joeys! Those seem to be one of the hardest combos to produce. The wt gene is apprarently so confusing that even getting wt joeys is difficult. (even from two wt parents)


620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance


The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Dancing] #927622
04/07/10 02:13 PM
04/07/10 02:13 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Dancing
I guess here is what has me confused.

Start with the definitions.

Homozygous refers to having identical alleles for a single trait.

Heterozygous refers to having two different alleles for a single trait.

In theory, there "should" be hets for mosaic or hets for wf (as we use the term in relationship to gliders) but for some odd reason, gliders just don't work that way.

We know that for a glider to be mosaic, it has to be homozygous or it wouldn't express the trait. Same for the wf.


- Really?!? I didn't know this... I thought that if a mosaic produced a gray joey, that joey was homozygous recessive... or "mm" Are you saying that some gray joeys from mosaics are "Mm" and could be bred to other hets to produce MO's "MM"? If this is true, then it changes everything I thought about Mosaic and WF dominance.

In simpler terms. You have to have one mosaic parent to get a mosaic joey. You have to have one wf parent to get a wf joey. Because of that, we (the general public) will say there is no such thing as "het for" mosaic or wf. This has been shown over time with the wf gliders. All those years where breeders sold "het for wf" only to find out that two "hets for wf" wouldn't/couldn't produce wf joeys.

-Now I'm confused.... I think that a het MO would still look like a MO, but its alleles would be "Mm" Right?? You're saying that breeding gray joeys from WF will NOT produce any WF which would make sense if the WF gene is what I think it is... this also means that a homozygous dominant MO "MM" would only produce MO's when paired with a gray...


If you put a wf or mosaic with a grey. You are introducing OTHER alleles to the soup. Since a grey can't be homozygous for wf (or it would be a wf), you are still working on the same "gamble" that the wf/grey pair will produce something other than wf. Just because out of the 12 or 20 joeys they have, none are grey, does not mean that the wf parent is a "super wf". It just is the luck of the genetic draw that each of those joeys got the wf allele sequencing right to make it a wf.

-Now this I agree completely with. The only way to know for sure would be to do DNA testing... and I don't think that's happening anytime soon
wink

If you breed two mosaics, then you should be able to produce nothing but mosaics but that doesn't make either one or their offspring a "super mosaic". Because when you then put that offspring with a non mosiac, you still have the chance of non mosaic joeys. Again, it is luck of the genetic draw.

-I think this would be true for "Mm" joeys... I'm not saying that two MO's will produce all "MM" MO's, I'm just theorizing that an "MM" MO could be produced

In theory though, IF we could run dna panels on gliders, we might be able to take two "hets" and put them together and MAYBE the alleles would line up just right (getting one wf allele from one parent and one from the other) to make a wf joey from non wf "het" parents. We just haven't seen this.


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Tish84] #927623
04/07/10 02:14 PM
04/07/10 02:14 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Tish84
The tricky thing about genetics and the punnet square is every new joey get a restart of the same punnet square the last one did.

I knew when I started breeding MOs and Creminos together my punnet square was gonna get a lot more tricky considering MO has been proven to be Co-dominant, but cremino hasn't YET.

-I haven't even thought about this... I know my knowledge of genetics is VERY basic, and glider genetics do seem to be very difficult!


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Dancing] #927625
04/07/10 02:17 PM
04/07/10 02:17 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Dancing

On a semi-side note. If we could get all this figured out, I bet we could have more wf/wt joeys! Those seem to be one of the hardest combos to produce. The wt gene is apprarently so confusing that even getting wt joeys is difficult. (even from two wt parents)


^^ I haven't even LOOKED at wt... it seems to be REALLY confusing. I do think we (breeders and genetics fanatics) on a whole are making progress though... maybe we could get this figured out someday? **Oh wouldn't it be loverly tounge


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Dancing] #927626
04/07/10 02:17 PM
04/07/10 02:17 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,749
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,749
80 acres of paradise in KS
Just another question that could play into things.

A human can have one how many different blood types?

Do gliders have different blood types too? If so, could the blood type be a cause or effect of the different gene sequencing and could that effect the colors we get (mosaic or not from the same parents)?


620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance


The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Dancing] #927627
04/07/10 02:21 PM
04/07/10 02:21 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,749
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,749
80 acres of paradise in KS
Quote:
this also means that a homozygous dominant MO "MM" would only produce MO's when paired with a gray...


Even if the mosaic parent is MM, the joey still gets half of it's alleles from the grey parent. So, you get the "gamble" from the grey parent.


620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance


The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Dancing] #927628
04/07/10 02:23 PM
04/07/10 02:23 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,855
Orlando, FL
Tish84 Offline
Glider Slave
Tish84  Offline
Glider Slave

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,855
Orlando, FL
Originally Posted By: Dancing
Just another question that could play into things.

A human can have one how many different blood types?

Do gliders have different blood types too? If so, could the blood type be a cause or effect of the different gene sequencing and could that effect the colors we get (mosaic or not from the same parents)?


Blood deals in Alleles as well so we can be:

AO or AA (referred to as A)
BO or BB (referred to as B)
AB
O
Then there's the rh factor where we can be plus or minus


TISH

Lana (Siberian Husky)
2 Turtles
Bunny
:bb: :leu: :wfb: :rtmo: :cream:
Lily Fawkes Kingsley Ice Regulus Romeo Mimkin Saturn Jupiter Taiyou Kat Julianna

Glide Free My little Lily And Ice (Miss you every day)


www.fancysuggies.com
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Dancing] #927629
04/07/10 02:24 PM
04/07/10 02:24 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Dancing
Quote:
this also means that a homozygous dominant MO "MM" would only produce MO's when paired with a gray...


Even if the mosaic parent is MM, the joey still gets half of it's alleles from the grey parent. So, you get the "gamble" from the grey parent.


I see what you mean now... it's the gray that is giving the gamble allele, not the MO.


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Dancing] #927630
04/07/10 02:24 PM
04/07/10 02:24 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,855
Orlando, FL
Tish84 Offline
Glider Slave
Tish84  Offline
Glider Slave

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,855
Orlando, FL
Originally Posted By: Dancing
Quote:
this also means that a homozygous dominant MO "MM" would only produce MO's when paired with a gray...


Even if the mosaic parent is MM, the joey still gets half of it's alleles from the grey parent. So, you get the "gamble" from the grey parent.


Yes anytime grey is added back in, it gets it's fair shot whether the parent is a MO (Mm) or a grey (mm), grey gets back into the equation.


TISH

Lana (Siberian Husky)
2 Turtles
Bunny
:bb: :leu: :wfb: :rtmo: :cream:
Lily Fawkes Kingsley Ice Regulus Romeo Mimkin Saturn Jupiter Taiyou Kat Julianna

Glide Free My little Lily And Ice (Miss you every day)


www.fancysuggies.com
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Tish84] #927631
04/07/10 02:27 PM
04/07/10 02:27 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Tish84

Yes anytime grey is added back in, it gets it's fair shot whether the parent is a MO (Mm) or a grey (mm), grey gets back into the equation.


I get that aspect now...

Are you saying that even a cross between a "MM" and a "mm" could result in gray joeys??

I do agree that anytime gray is bred to, the gray gene will once again be introduced... do we know that grey is 100% recessive or is it another mystery?


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Tish84] #927634
04/07/10 02:29 PM
04/07/10 02:29 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,749
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,749
80 acres of paradise in KS
All this is discussing the "genotype" theories. Anyone considered the "phenotype" theories?

A phenotype is any observable characteristic or trait of an organism: such as its morphology, development, biochemical or physiological properties, or behavior. Phenotypes result from the expression of an organism's genes as well as the influence of environmental factors and possible interactions between the two.

Look at the mosaic joeys Alicia produces. She seems to have some secret lab (or atleast is accused of having a secret lab) where she is creating an abundance of extraordinary joeys. Maybe there is some truth to the theroy of Alicia's joeys?


620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance


The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: oakley] #927635
04/07/10 02:29 PM
04/07/10 02:29 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
I never thought about blood type before...

I know that dogs have blood types (although the exact number is debated) so it would seem possible for gliders to have blood types as well.


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Tish84] #927636
04/07/10 02:31 PM
04/07/10 02:31 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,269
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,269
WI
Just because a glider expresses a trait does NOT mean it is homozygous.

For technicality's sake we do not call mo's and WF's het's because in our community 'het' means that the carry the trait.

But if any animal inherits one allele and another it makes it heterozygous.

If a white face expresses whiteface, or the same for mo's it DOES CARRY the trait- the WF or Mo allele 'overrides' the grey allele and it is expressed.

This is how you get greys out of two WF parents. BOTH parent's have a WF allele AND a grey allele, which makes the heterozygous.

the two WF parents would look like this genotypically.
W-White face
w-grey

Ww x Ww

Ww- heterozygous for White Face
WW-homozygous for White face.


Allie
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Dancing] #927639
04/07/10 02:33 PM
04/07/10 02:33 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Dancing
All this is discussing the "genotype" theories. Anyone considered the "phenotype" theories?

A phenotype is any observable characteristic or trait of an organism: such as its morphology, development, biochemical or physiological properties, or behavior. Phenotypes result from the expression of an organism's genes as well as the influence of environmental factors and possible interactions between the two.

Look at the mosaic joeys Alicia produces. She seems to have some secret lab (or atleast is accused of having a secret lab) where she is creating an abundance of extraordinary joeys. Maybe there is some truth to the theroy of Alicia's joeys?



You know what? I HAVE thought about this. In one of my recent posts, I said that I believed mosaics tended to produce joeys that had markings similar to themselves. My MO has a large break in his stripe (much like many other MO's) and even his most minimally marked joeys have a hint of a break.

You know Gucci right? Kris' Glider with that spot on his hip? Well that spot has been passed on to some of his joeys.

And yes... Alicia must have a secret lab, how else can we explain how she hits the joey jackpot so often?!?!?


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Glide_Bye_Lily] #927640
04/07/10 02:34 PM
04/07/10 02:34 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Glide_Bye_Lily
Just because a glider expresses a trait does NOT mean it is homozygous.

For technicality's sake we do not call mo's and WF's het's because in our community 'het' means that the carry the trait.

But if any animal inherits one allele and another it makes it heterozygous.

If a white face expresses whiteface, or the same for mo's it DOES CARRY the trait- the WF or Mo allele 'overrides' the grey allele and it is expressed.

This is how you get greys out of two WF parents. BOTH parent's have a WF allele AND a grey allele, which makes the heterozygous.

the two WF parents would look like this genotypically.
W-White face
w-grey

Ww x Ww

Ww- heterozygous for White Face
WW-homozygous for White face.


^^ YES! This is the basis that I think we are all trying to work from... Good definition smile


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Dancing] #927641
04/07/10 02:36 PM
04/07/10 02:36 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,269
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,269
WI
Originally Posted By: Dancing
Quote:
this also means that a homozygous dominant MO "MM" would only produce MO's when paired with a gray...


Even if the mosaic parent is MM, the joey still gets half of it's alleles from the grey parent. So, you get the "gamble" from the grey parent.


The joey's produced will still be mosaics, at least as long as our current understanding of the mosaic trait holds out. The genotype will be Mm though, instead of the MM of the original parent.


Allie
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Glide_Bye_Lily] #927642
04/07/10 02:38 PM
04/07/10 02:38 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,749
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,749
80 acres of paradise in KS
You are right. Here is where the dominance, recessive or codominance of the genes plays in and where it gets complicated.

One of the problems we have is the way the "general glider community" has come to use certain terms.

The community uses the term "het" to mean the glider has the potential to produce a certain trait. Such as a Leu "het". Two leu "hets" can produce a leu. Technically there ARE wf "hets" but, because of what type the genes are (recessive, dominant, codominant etc) we know that a wf "het" paired with another wf "het" won't produce wf joeys.

This is one reason I hate the prunett squares. They overly simplify the issue. With gliders, it is anything but simple. There are to many other factors that play into it.


620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance


The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: oakley] #927643
04/07/10 02:40 PM
04/07/10 02:40 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,855
Orlando, FL
Tish84 Offline
Glider Slave
Tish84  Offline
Glider Slave

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,855
Orlando, FL
Originally Posted By: oakley
Originally Posted By: Tish84

Yes anytime grey is added back in, it gets it's fair shot whether the parent is a MO (Mm) or a grey (mm), grey gets back into the equation.


I get that aspect now...

Are you saying that even a cross between a "MM" and a "mm" could result in gray joeys??

I do agree that anytime gray is bred to, the gray gene will once again be introduced... do we know that grey is 100% recessive or is it another mystery?


No, you're right MM x mm wil always get you a MO. If you do get a non-mo, you know your MM was actually a Mm.


TISH

Lana (Siberian Husky)
2 Turtles
Bunny
:bb: :leu: :wfb: :rtmo: :cream:
Lily Fawkes Kingsley Ice Regulus Romeo Mimkin Saturn Jupiter Taiyou Kat Julianna

Glide Free My little Lily And Ice (Miss you every day)


www.fancysuggies.com
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Tish84] #927647
04/07/10 02:45 PM
04/07/10 02:45 PM
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 1,027
Iowa
Lindsay Offline
Glider Guardian
Lindsay  Offline
Glider Guardian

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 1,027
Iowa
Okay I don't want to go way off topic, I am finding this conversation very interesting but wondering for a beginner where do you find all of this genetics information for gliders? I have seen a couple sites and I am really interested in learning. Thanks!


Lindsay


Lindsay
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Tish84] #927649
04/07/10 02:49 PM
04/07/10 02:49 PM
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,645
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline
Glider Addict

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,645
Ohio
There are a few things to consider...

First of all: have you LOOKED at the high-gen WF lineages? If so, then you'll know that the further you go back, the scarier they get! :\ Personally, I would never want to look at mosaic lineages and see something like that just because people want a mo that will produce more mosaic babies. :\

Secondly: the only way to PROVE that a mosaic is a "super mosaic" would be to breed that glider multiple times. So, if you're wanting to sell "super mosaics" then you'd have to keep the joey and breed it multiple times before being able to label it as "super". Then what?...are you going to sell that glider that you've now had for a couple years and have bred many times and bonded to it? frown

See the problems? So, even if you DO get "super mosaics" the cost would be too high for the gliders.

BTW, there's no guarantee that a mosaic would be "super" either. I have a mosaic that used to be paired with a WF and of the 5 joeys they had, only 1 was a mosaic. However, I ended up having to separate them and now he's with a 66% cremino het female and with his female they've had 6 joeys and ALL of them were mosaics. Sooo...if I'd originally put him with the cremino het and not with the WF then I could easily claim him as being a "super mosaic". However, that would be a lie, because he's NOT a super mosaic, it's just a good pairing, but if paired with a different glider he'll throw non-mosaics.

Hope this helps.


~Nicole~

Proudly enslaved by lots of silly suggies, 3 crazy kitties, a huffy hedgie, and a pretty puppy! grin
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Lindsay] #927652
04/07/10 02:53 PM
04/07/10 02:53 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
Lindsay,

The easiest genetics to understand is simple mendelian genetics in my opinion.

Here is a pretty good website to learn from.

And here is where you can learn about genetic probability using the punnett square.


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Guerita135] #927653
04/07/10 02:56 PM
04/07/10 02:56 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,749
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,749
80 acres of paradise in KS
Describe "high generation". Is 3rd gen considered "high gen"? Not all of the "high gen" family trees are a disaster. Yes, some are, but not all.


620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance


The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Guerita135] #927656
04/07/10 03:09 PM
04/07/10 03:09 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,269
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,269
WI
Originally Posted By: Guerita135
There are a few things to consider...

First of all: have you LOOKED at the high-gen WF lineages? If so, then you'll know that the further you go back, the scarier they get! :\ Personally, I would never want to look at mosaic lineages and see something like that just because people want a mo that will produce more mosaic babies. :\

Secondly: the only way to PROVE that a mosaic is a "super mosaic" would be to breed that glider multiple times. So, if you're wanting to sell "super mosaics" then you'd have to keep the joey and breed it multiple times before being able to label it as "super". Then what?...are you going to sell that glider that you've now had for a couple years and have bred many times and bonded to it? frown

See the problems? So, even if you DO get "super mosaics" the cost would be too high for the gliders.

BTW, there's no guarantee that a mosaic would be "super" either. I have a mosaic that used to be paired with a WF and of the 5 joeys they had, only 1 was a mosaic. However, I ended up having to separate them and now he's with a 66% cremino het female and with his female they've had 6 joeys and ALL of them were mosaics. Sooo...if I'd originally put him with the cremino het and not with the WF then I could easily claim him as being a "super mosaic". However, that would be a lie, because he's NOT a super mosaic, it's just a good pairing, but if paired with a different glider he'll throw non-mosaics.

Hope this helps.



I agree completely Nicole! This was what I was trying to get at in my original post.

Genetically even, there are a lot of problems that could arise from many generations of Mo x Mo pairings. This is not an ethical statement, it's genetically based-and potentially true.

Lindsay- I have a huge interest in genetics, and have spent many many hours picking breeders minds and researching lineages on my own. smile It takes a lot of time to figure it all out, and even then-you're always still learning!

Last edited by Glide_Bye_Lily; 04/07/10 03:09 PM.

Allie
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Glide_Bye_Lily] #927657
04/07/10 03:18 PM
04/07/10 03:18 PM
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 321
45013, Ohio
Sunshine Offline
Glider Lover
Sunshine  Offline
Glider Lover

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 321
45013, Ohio
So it isn't considered okay to breed two MO's?

Let me ask you this...

Would you buy a glider who has two Mo parents?

I'm confused.. A LOT!! roflmao

Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Guerita135] #927659
04/07/10 03:18 PM
04/07/10 03:18 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Guerita135
There are a few things to consider...

First of all: have you LOOKED at the high-gen WF lineages? If so, then you'll know that the further you go back, the scarier they get! :\ Personally, I would never want to look at mosaic lineages and see something like that just because people want a mo that will produce more mosaic babies. :\

-I know how you feel. I'm not trying to upset anyone here... I'm just curious about the genetics wink

Secondly: the only way to PROVE that a mosaic is a "super mosaic" would be to breed that glider multiple times. So, if you're wanting to sell "super mosaics" then you'd have to keep the joey and breed it multiple times before being able to label it as "super". Then what?...are you going to sell that glider that you've now had for a couple years and have bred many times and bonded to it? frown

See the problems? So, even if you DO get "super mosaics" the cost would be too high for the gliders.

-Again... I'm trying to discuss a Genotype theory, I wouldn't be trying to breed and sell "super" anything myself.

BTW, there's no guarantee that a mosaic would be "super" either. I have a mosaic that used to be paired with a WF and of the 5 joeys they had, only 1 was a mosaic. However, I ended up having to separate them and now he's with a 66% cremino het female and with his female they've had 6 joeys and ALL of them were mosaics. Sooo...if I'd originally put him with the cremino het and not with the WF then I could easily claim him as being a "super mosaic". However, that would be a lie, because he's NOT a super mosaic, it's just a good pairing, but if paired with a different glider he'll throw non-mosaics.

-We've already discussed that the only way to tell for sure would be to DNA test... I'm just opening up a discussion about the possibilities.

Hope this helps.


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Sunshine] #927661
04/07/10 03:23 PM
04/07/10 03:23 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Heather_Wilder
So it isn't considered okay to breed two MO's?

Let me ask you this...

Would you buy a glider who has two Mo parents?

I'm confused.. A LOT!! roflmao


Sorry Heather!

I took your post and ran with it!

Yes, it is ok to breed to MO's together as long as they are unrelated. We are discussing genetics here, and it can get messy! What you WOULDN'T want to do, would be to keep breeding MO's to MO's to the point that they are being inbred. I do believe there is someone here that has a MO-MO pair.

Most people (including myself) will tell you that you can save money by buying only one MO and breeding it to a gray. While this is true, if you have the resources to buy two unrelated MO's and breed them, that is completely up to you wink


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Sunshine] #927664
04/07/10 03:26 PM
04/07/10 03:26 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,269
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,269
WI
Originally Posted By: Heather_Wilder
So it isn't considered okay to breed two MO's?

Let me ask you this...

Would you buy a glider who has two Mo parents?

I'm confused.. A LOT!! roflmao


I cannot speak for anyone else, but I would not.

I really advocate breeding lines out, especially the color lines (mosaic, leu etc). So buying a glider with the potential to start intertwining the lines would not be a good thing. IMO.


Allie
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: oakley] #927665
04/07/10 03:26 PM
04/07/10 03:26 PM
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 321
45013, Ohio
Sunshine Offline
Glider Lover
Sunshine  Offline
Glider Lover

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 321
45013, Ohio
This is a lot to digest and a lot to think about! :/

Should i risk giving up an adorable glider but at least having one mosaic or should i get both because they've captured my heart?

HELPP!! help

Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Glide_Bye_Lily] #927667
04/07/10 03:30 PM
04/07/10 03:30 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Glide_Bye_Lily

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I would not.

I really advocate breeding lines out, especially the color lines (mosaic, leu etc). So buying a glider with the potential to start intertwining the lines would not be a good thing. IMO.


I see where you are coming from... but isn't there a point to where the line is SO far bred out that it wouldn't do harm in breeding two like-gliders together?

I mean, even standard grays originated from some original pair... Look at the WF lines... now people don't think twice putting two *unrelated* WF together because the lines can be so far apart, that there is no risk of inbreeding.


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: oakley] #927669
04/07/10 03:33 PM
04/07/10 03:33 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
Whoa!

We're getting off topic!

Back to the Genotype Phenotype theory that Dancing brought up...


I think Phenotype theory may be an effective way to improve certain desireable charachteristics (like ringtail, wt, etc)

Do we know anyone who has bred for a certain phenotype? (ie. wt, broken stripes, spotted ears etc.)


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Glide_Bye_Lily] #927675
04/07/10 03:49 PM
04/07/10 03:49 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Glide_Bye_Lily


Genetically even, there are a lot of problems that could arise from many generations of Mo x Mo pairings. This is not an ethical statement, it's genetically based-and potentially true.

-There is truth in this. Actually, lots of generations of ANY glider-pairings will relate in many problems. That is partially why we encourage people NOT to breed Perfect Pocket Pets gliders or rescues. Unknowingly breeding related grays will have bad results too.



Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: oakley] #927727
04/07/10 05:52 PM
04/07/10 05:52 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,749
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,749
80 acres of paradise in KS
With the leus, trying to find unrelated pairs can be challenging to say the least. With the mosaics, because you don't have to pair up mo to mo to get mo babies, I don't see any advantage to it, other than being inlove with two unrelated mos and wanting them as a pair. I also don't see any "initial" problems but if this becomes a common practice, given a few generations, all the mos will be related and the random mo/mo pairs would be almost impossible without inbreeding issues. I just think outbreeding is the better option.


620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance


The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: oakley] #927742
04/07/10 06:18 PM
04/07/10 06:18 PM

G
GliderDave96
Unregistered
GliderDave96
Unregistered
G



Wow... I gotta headache from that. There's 10 minutes I'll never get back. smile

Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Dancing] #927744
04/07/10 06:19 PM
04/07/10 06:19 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,269
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,269
WI
Originally Posted By: Dancing
With the leus, trying to find unrelated pairs can be challenging to say the least. With the mosaics, because you don't have to pair up mo to mo to get mo babies, I don't see any advantage to it, other than being inlove with two unrelated mos and wanting them as a pair. I also don't see any "initial" problems but if this becomes a common practice, given a few generations, all the mos will be related and the random mo/mo pairs would be almost impossible without inbreeding issues. I just think outbreeding is the better option.



clap clap I Agree! Well stated.


Allie
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Glide_Bye_Lily] #927758
04/07/10 06:50 PM
04/07/10 06:50 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
I agree as well smile


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Dancing] #927822
04/07/10 11:22 PM
04/07/10 11:22 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,224
North Fort Worth - TX
jacknsally Offline
Glider Addict
jacknsally  Offline
Glider Addict

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,224
North Fort Worth - TX
Originally Posted By: Dancing

If you breed two mosaics, then you should be able to produce nothing but mosaics but that doesn't make either one or their offspring a "super mosaic".


If I remember correctly- Karin's double mo pairing just had a leu. So I guess that debunks the double mo's always produce mo's theory? Or does the always produce mo's differ when there's leu het %'s involved?


Ñancy
~Always on my mind & in my heart Jack, Sally & Serenity~


Mobmilli's Boutique
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: jacknsally] #927850
04/08/10 12:29 AM
04/08/10 12:29 AM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,749
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,749
80 acres of paradise in KS
Quote:
should be able


I didn't know about Karin's joey. But I have to ask, is she SURE it is a leu? Wouldn't that have to be "proven" out by breeding that joey to a non leu (or non leu het) and also a non mo? If that glider then throws a mosaic, would't it prove that "leu" to actually be a white mo?

Didn't someone recently have what they thought was a Leu throw a mosaic joey? Meaning that the parent glider is actually a white mosaic and not a leu after all?

Last edited by Dancing; 04/08/10 12:30 AM.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance


The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Dancing] #927857
04/08/10 12:51 AM
04/08/10 12:51 AM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,269
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,269
WI
Is there leu in her mosaics lineage? If not, I'm more likely to say it's a white mo.

But obviously I don't know anything about the gliders in question...


Allie
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Dancing] #927898
04/08/10 06:55 AM
04/08/10 06:55 AM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 16,087
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 16,087
Manitowoc, WI
Originally Posted By: Dancing
Quote:
should be able


I didn't know about Karin's joey. But I have to ask, is she SURE it is a leu? Wouldn't that have to be "proven" out by breeding that joey to a non leu (or non leu het) and also a non mo? If that glider then throws a mosaic, would't it prove that "leu" to actually be a white mo?

Didn't someone recently have what they thought was a Leu throw a mosaic joey? Meaning that the parent glider is actually a white mosaic and not a leu after all?
I don't know about Karin's joey, but, I have a leu paired with a mosaic who is a 12.5% leu het. She's had 3 white joeys. The male is neutered. 1st female is paired with a gray and has had 2 gray joeys (none other that I've been told about). The 2nd girl I kept, she's not old enough to have joeys yet though.

This is Lanie: http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r56/G...current=044.jpg

Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: jacknsally] #927902
04/08/10 07:34 AM
04/08/10 07:34 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: jacknsally


If I remember correctly- Karin's double mo pairing just had a leu. So I guess that debunks the double mo's always produce mo's theory? Or does the always produce mo's differ when there's leu het %'s involved?


I remember something about this... there CAN be 100% leu het MO's (that's what my Mowgli is) so two MO's could potentially produce a leu... now it WOULD be great if what looks like a leu could produce MO's AND Leu's.... would we all be on cloud9


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: oakley] #927903
04/08/10 07:36 AM
04/08/10 07:36 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
BekiT,

Isn't that interesting! I wonder if they are leu's or if you are REALLY lucky!


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: oakley] #927938
04/08/10 09:59 AM
04/08/10 09:59 AM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,839
roseville, mi
H
hwh4ev Offline
Glider Addict
hwh4ev  Offline
Glider Addict
H

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,839
roseville, mi
beckit are they white mo's or leus? 12.5% such a low percentage in your mosaic.

regards,
nancy in detroit


regards,
nancy in roseville (formerly in detroit)
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: hwh4ev] #927961
04/08/10 12:07 PM
04/08/10 12:07 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 16,087
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 16,087
Manitowoc, WI
Nancy, I'm not yet sure of they are mosaic under the white or leu (which would mean I proved out a 12.5% het!) dunno

Only time will tell with Lanie as she's just 6 months OOP and I haven't been told of Enigma had any other joeys. If they do prove to be mosaic under the white I've dubbed them "mosistic" roflmao

Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: hwh4ev] #927965
04/08/10 12:13 PM
04/08/10 12:13 PM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,843
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline
Glider Addict

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,843
Lisle, Illinois
Correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it a leu can be a mosaic underneath the leucistic coloring, therefore you can have a glider that BOTH leucistic and mosiac. So a glider that looks leucistic and can produce leus or mosaics. I am not sure who first discovered this or how it was proven, (anyone?) but with several generations of careful pairings you would be able to prove that a glider can be both mosaic and leucistic.

I have my platinum white mosaic 25% leu het "Twilight" paired with a leucistic/possible mosaic "Winter" from Sheila's new line. Their first joeys are almost OOP, they are both pure white- leucistic/possible mosaic under the leu coloring. 50-75% of this pairs joeys should be mosaic, so odds are at least one of the joeys has mosaic hidden under the leucistic coloring.



:leu: Sugaree Gliders :rtmo:


Simba, Nala, Rain, Snow & Sugaree

Shadowdancer, Sugar Magnolia, Sunshine Daydream, Winter, Twinkle, Twilight, Everlette, Sparkle, Polar Bear, Indigo & Willow








Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: SugareeErin] #927967
04/08/10 12:15 PM
04/08/10 12:15 PM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,843
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline
Glider Addict

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,843
Lisle, Illinois
"mosistic" roflmao too funny!



:leu: Sugaree Gliders :rtmo:


Simba, Nala, Rain, Snow & Sugaree

Shadowdancer, Sugar Magnolia, Sunshine Daydream, Winter, Twinkle, Twilight, Everlette, Sparkle, Polar Bear, Indigo & Willow








Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: SugareeErin] #927976
04/08/10 01:10 PM
04/08/10 01:10 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,855
Orlando, FL
Tish84 Offline
Glider Slave
Tish84  Offline
Glider Slave

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,855
Orlando, FL
So interesting BeckiT!! She looks like a leu because the white mos I've seen examples of have the spotted ears. If she does turn out to be a "mosistic" that'd be soo cool.


TISH

Lana (Siberian Husky)
2 Turtles
Bunny
:bb: :leu: :wfb: :rtmo: :cream:
Lily Fawkes Kingsley Ice Regulus Romeo Mimkin Saturn Jupiter Taiyou Kat Julianna

Glide Free My little Lily And Ice (Miss you every day)


www.fancysuggies.com
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Tish84] #927977
04/08/10 01:21 PM
04/08/10 01:21 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
Erin,

I know what it is that you are talking about... someone did post saying that a Leu proved to be a mosaic as well.. wish I could find that post now!


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: oakley] #927988
04/08/10 01:51 PM
04/08/10 01:51 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,749
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,749
80 acres of paradise in KS
Quote:
so two MO's could potentially produce a leu...


Just want to clarify this. Two MO's COULD potentially produce a leu but ONLY IF the MO's are also leu hets. If there isn't leu in both family trees, then no, they would not be able to produce the leus.

We do know that leus can mask the mosaic, just as leus can mask wf. (pairing a leu with a grey and getting a wf means the leu is also a masked wf).


620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance


The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: oakley] #927989
04/08/10 01:52 PM
04/08/10 01:52 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,402
Michigan
G
gliderma Offline
Serious Glideritis
gliderma  Offline
Serious Glideritis
G

Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,402
Michigan
I am still trying to understand all the genetics, too, but am curious how you would know a leu is a mosaic "underneath"? The only way would be that it would prove out in joeys with no mosaic in the lineage, correct? If a "leu" has other colors, it would be a mosaic and not a leu if I understand it correctly? And where does the "super" come in? This is all the more reason for a standard being made for all the colors, so there is no confusion and everyone is on the same page with what they have and can produce, in my opinion. Sure wish someone would publish a paper on glider genetics!


Lynn Martel
616-272-4374
989-400-5686
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: gliderma] #927994
04/08/10 02:03 PM
04/08/10 02:03 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,749
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,749
80 acres of paradise in KS
Quote:
am curious how you would know a leu is a mosaic "underneath"? The only way would be that it would prove out in joeys with no mosaic in the lineage, correct?


If you take a leu/possible masked mosaic and pair it with a grey and get a mosaic joey, then your leu is also a mosaic. But there is the chance that the leu is really a white mosaic though that chance decreases with the family tree. It seems that the leu coloring is stronger than the mosaic coloring so can "mask" the mosaic.


620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance


The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Dancing] #927999
04/08/10 02:39 PM
04/08/10 02:39 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
Dancing,

I've got a female like that right now...

She is either a leu masking the MO coloration, a white MO, or just a leu... Her parents were very low leu hets if I remember correctly, so she is probably a white MO or a leu that is masking the MO markings.

She is from Judie Hausmann and I have her with a gray from KDR. She has joeys IP so I'm very excited to see what I get!


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: oakley] #928001
04/08/10 02:46 PM
04/08/10 02:46 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,749
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,749
80 acres of paradise in KS
Is one of her parents a mosaic? If not, she isn't a mosaic.

If she is a leu, being with a grey, she won't produce leus so if you get white, you know you have a mosaic! (or masked mo)

I think this uncertainty is why I have no desire to pair leu with mo. I guess I want to be sure what my joeys are. (besides cute)


620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance


The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Dancing] #928003
04/08/10 02:50 PM
04/08/10 02:50 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
Yep, one of her parents IS a mosaic... neither are leu if memory serves... I just PMed Judie about her lineage.


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Dancing] #928073
04/08/10 06:11 PM
04/08/10 06:11 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,224
North Fort Worth - TX
jacknsally Offline
Glider Addict
jacknsally  Offline
Glider Addict

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,224
North Fort Worth - TX
Originally Posted By: Dancing

Didn't someone recently have what they thought was a Leu throw a mosaic joey? Meaning that the parent glider is actually a white mosaic and not a leu after all?


I think there's starting to be quite a few leumo's out there that people don't know what they are until they start producing but even then, it's still hard to tell. And if they keep paring them with leu hets, then the questions of leu, white mo or leumo will continue.

Kara's lil boy Burl from Alicia, looks like a leu but he had a mo & a wfb in his first set of twins. Then there's their new baby, the little girl I'm getting, she could be leu or could be mo or maybe the leumo- but unless she starts to color up, we will never know.

With Karin's, they are leu het's with the dad being a pretty low percent. Last I read I think she was thinking leu but... dunno


Ñancy
~Always on my mind & in my heart Jack, Sally & Serenity~


Mobmilli's Boutique
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: jacknsally] #928087
04/08/10 07:02 PM
04/08/10 07:02 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
It get's pretty confusing when you start to factor in the possibility of gliders looking like one thing, and being able to produce another!


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: oakley] #928226
04/09/10 09:34 AM
04/09/10 09:34 AM

N
NGS
Unregistered
NGS
Unregistered
N



Originally Posted By: oakley
Originally Posted By: Dancing
All this is discussing the "genotype" theories. Anyone considered the "phenotype" theories?

A phenotype is any observable characteristic or trait of an organism: such as its morphology, development, biochemical or physiological properties, or behavior. Phenotypes result from the expression of an organism's genes as well as the influence of environmental factors and possible interactions between the two.

Look at the mosaic joeys Alicia produces. She seems to have some secret lab (or atleast is accused of having a secret lab) where she is creating an abundance of extraordinary joeys. Maybe there is some truth to the theroy of Alicia's joeys?



You know what? I HAVE thought about this. In one of my recent posts, I said that I believed mosaics tended to produce joeys that had markings similar to themselves. My MO has a large break in his stripe (much like many other MO's) and even his most minimally marked joeys have a hint of a break.

You know Gucci right? Kris' Glider with that spot on his hip? Well that spot has been passed on to some of his joeys.

And yes... Alicia must have a secret lab, how else can we explain how she hits the joey jackpot so often?!?!?




Not to go off topic but just wondering

Does Alicia have a website? I would love to see some of her gliders. Thanks smile

Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: ] #928238
04/09/10 10:11 AM
04/09/10 10:11 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
No she does not! tant

I really wish she had a site where we could drool over all of those pretty babies whenever we wanted to! roflmao


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: oakley] #928242
04/09/10 10:30 AM
04/09/10 10:30 AM
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,823
Wichita Falls, Texas
DirtyPaws Offline
Glider Slave
DirtyPaws  Offline
Glider Slave

Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,823
Wichita Falls, Texas
Thought it was like Sweet N Sour Sugar Gliders or something like that. dunno


~~~ Crystal ~~~

Dot Dot heart Woobie heart Isabella heart Beetlejuice

heart Blitzy&Ella ~ Twinkie&Tiramisu ~ Dolly&Doobie

heart Taaska & Sadie ~ Teddy Bear Doodle & Sasha

heart Tiki, MoJo, Ruckus, Napoleon
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: DirtyPaws] #928259
04/09/10 11:25 AM
04/09/10 11:25 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,305
Florida, USA
I know... I just don't see a link to it anymore on her profile on SGN... I'll ask her..


Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}


Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel


Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: DirtyPaws] #928476
04/09/10 06:26 PM
04/09/10 06:26 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,224
North Fort Worth - TX
jacknsally Offline
Glider Addict
jacknsally  Offline
Glider Addict

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,224
North Fort Worth - TX
Originally Posted By: DirtyPaws
Thought it was like Sweet N Sour Sugar Gliders or something like that. dunno


It was but she has since let it close, since it was mostly to order her sissy's.


Ñancy
~Always on my mind & in my heart Jack, Sally & Serenity~


Mobmilli's Boutique
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: jacknsally] #928559
04/09/10 09:14 PM
04/09/10 09:14 PM
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,823
Wichita Falls, Texas
DirtyPaws Offline
Glider Slave
DirtyPaws  Offline
Glider Slave

Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,823
Wichita Falls, Texas
She had a bunch of pics up on it though ~ just couldn't remember how recent I'd been on it to know what gliders would be there. I found it and most of the pics are broken links now. frown

Okay, so I hope you all resume the genetics discussion! I never have anything super smart to say, but I'm always here learning!


~~~ Crystal ~~~

Dot Dot heart Woobie heart Isabella heart Beetlejuice

heart Blitzy&Ella ~ Twinkie&Tiramisu ~ Dolly&Doobie

heart Taaska & Sadie ~ Teddy Bear Doodle & Sasha

heart Tiki, MoJo, Ruckus, Napoleon
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: DirtyPaws] #928580
04/09/10 09:59 PM
04/09/10 09:59 PM

P
partyofsix
Unregistered
partyofsix
Unregistered
P



The Jolly Gliders also has a lot of white mosaics also. My mosaic boy seems to only produce white mosaics. The gene is very strong in this line I'm told.

Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: ] #928617
04/09/10 11:09 PM
04/09/10 11:09 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,855
Orlando, FL
Tish84 Offline
Glider Slave
Tish84  Offline
Glider Slave

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,855
Orlando, FL
Originally Posted By: partyofsix
The Jolly Gliders also has a lot of white mosaics also. My mosaic boy seems to only produce white mosaics. The gene is very strong in this line I'm told.


Good to know smile


TISH

Lana (Siberian Husky)
2 Turtles
Bunny
:bb: :leu: :wfb: :rtmo: :cream:
Lily Fawkes Kingsley Ice Regulus Romeo Mimkin Saturn Jupiter Taiyou Kat Julianna

Glide Free My little Lily And Ice (Miss you every day)


www.fancysuggies.com
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: Tish84] #942741
05/13/10 04:27 AM
05/13/10 04:27 AM

T
threewingedfury
Unregistered
threewingedfury
Unregistered
T



I'd personally like to see the statistics of joeys produced from a Mo x Mo pair. What would be interesting to see is the number of joeys produced from the pair from each litter, how often they're produced and what phenotype they appear to be. This can become difficult though since glider litters are so small.

The reason why I say this, is because we don't really know if mosaics can even exist in the homozygous state. I'm gonna bring up another species to explain (please don't think I'm trying to compare another species to gliders, I'm just speaking genetics here). With chinchillas - you don't breed two mosaics together or two black velvets together because the white (mosaic) gene and the TOV (black velvet) gene can not exist in a homozygous state. It's pretty much considered the lethal gene, and the homozygous fetus dies in utero and is reabsorbed resulting in a lower number of kits. Now, if you were to take a mosaic pair and realize that you get less joeys (regardless of phenotype) from a certain mating, then it is possible that mosaics can't exist in the homozygous state.

This is something I'd personally like to test in the far future or study from afar, but rather interesting to digest. I don't like comparing species, but it's practically the same idea.

In fact, are there any lethal genes that have been discovered in gliders yet?

Last edited by threewingedfury; 05/13/10 04:29 AM.
Re: Mosaic Genetics (here we go again) [Re: ] #942746
05/13/10 06:43 AM
05/13/10 06:43 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,664
Hudson Valley, NY
krysKritters Offline
Glider Addict
krysKritters  Offline
Glider Addict

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,664
Hudson Valley, NY
I don't think there are any "lethal" genes as you describe. However, I know the albino gene is very fragile. I believe albino's life span is significantly shorter as well.


Krys DeRosa
Godfather of the NY Glider Mafia

KrysKritters.comcloud9

A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page



Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 13,124 guests, and 1,466 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
koalascemo, xLizzx, SugarGliderSuppe, GliderMaClassic, mberodes
7409 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,425
Posts159,386
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,410
Most Online48,678
Jul 1st, 2026
Last 10 New Topics
Pre Made TPG Food
by SugarGliderSuppe. 09/11/26 02:34 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
1,086,956 TEXAS
839,457 OHIO
646,727 OKLAHOMA
612,252 UTAH
458,684 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox



Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2026
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software
(Release build 20180918)
Page Time: 0.063s Queries: 14 (0.021s) Memory: 4.2139 MB (Peak: 5.1417 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2026-10-03 06:26:46 UTC