Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Perfect Pocket Pets? #913387
03/01/10 10:40 AM
03/01/10 10:40 AM

A
ajk21
Unregistered
ajk21
Unregistered
A

Okay so I read alot their webpages and videos and now I come here and I'm hearing people form here and a few other sites that are talking bad about these people. So Far its about their equipment or something. So what is the problem? I mean are their facts compltetely wrong or something? There's a lady I know near me that has a glider and has raised her's for the past 6 years just about the same way they have done things. I'm just curious because I like to know point of views and oppinions on both side before siding or anything. Obviously everybody has their own personal because of how they raise their pets and such-but everyone has a stand too apparently. So just fill me in please so I wont feel so lost in the dark when I read something about people saying "they are bad" or "i feel so sorry for the gliders" or something....i mean...so far I dont really see a problem (except maybe the views which is no different then if your a parent of your own human child-we raise them differntly as we see fit and such)
anyways, thanks in advance

Re: Perfect Pocket Pets? [Re: ] #913392
03/01/10 10:57 AM
03/01/10 10:57 AM

C
CalamityAnnie
Unregistered
CalamityAnnie
Unregistered
C

I understand your view that people have different ways of raising animals ( and children).
BUT, the way that (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets tells you that you can care for your glider (as applying to having a baby) goes something like this...
"So Ajk21, I hear you would like to have a baby. That's great. Babies are the easiest thing to take care of in the world!! They NEVER cry, you can let them sleep in a shoe box and you can feed them just donuts and water every day for the rest of their life...." frown

(PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets underplays how much work Sugar gliders are to own so they can trick you into BUYING one!! That is what they do! They SELL a "product" and everyone knows you can't sell a product very easily if you tell the truth about how hard it really is!!

There is more information on this forum about (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets then we can even re-talk about in this thread. I would suggest you just use the search tool on here and look up other (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets posts and see all of the different problems we have with them for yourself.. it's really sad...

Re: Perfect Pocket Pets? [Re: ] #913393
03/01/10 11:08 AM
03/01/10 11:08 AM
Florida, USA
oakley Offline
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline
Glider Slave

Florida, USA
ajk21,

Thank you for asking for the facts and welcome to GC!

The main problem with (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets is the fact that they acquire their gliders from mill breeders. If you think about puppy mills and all the disease, inbreeding, and health issues that result, you can easily see why a glider mill would produce very unhealthy gliders.

A second reason to avoid (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets is the fact that many of their gliders are actaully underage when they sell them to you. This results in you having to take extra time and effort to raise your new pet, and should anything go wrong, there will be very large vet bills to pay in order to keep your young joey alive.

I'm sure there is nothing seriously wrong with your friend's glider, but that is because of the care your friend gives her glider, and not because of (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets. I'm sure your friend would see a huge difference in her glider if she provided a larger cage and a better diet.

Let's talk a little bit about diet. Would you feed your baby a diet of ONLY chocolate milk and banana's? No? Why? Because this diet, although it contains calcium, potassium, and healthy food, will not allow your child to grow to his/her potential. Will your child survive? Yes. Will your child have potential physical problems because of this diet? Yes.

The same is true for sugar gldiers. The pellet diet that (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets recommends won't kill your glider, but you will see a very large difference between a glider on the (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets diet and a glider on a proven diet. Some of these differences include:
- a healthier weight (lean and fit, without excess fat and without being underweight)
- a healthier coat (fur will be cleaner, softer, and less oily)
- a healthier glider (glider will have more energy and will not be as susceptible to illness)

Long story short:

(PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets does not care about the health, safety, and needs of the glider, and to make a profit, they cut corners that put many gliders in danger. Some people do not experience any health problems with their (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets glider, but many have experienced sick joeys and have paid the vet bills to prove it. What's worse, many people do not have enough information to take care of an underweight, underage joey, and many of these gliders die soon after they are taken home.

Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}

Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel

Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Perfect Pocket Pets? [Re: ] #913397
03/01/10 11:25 AM
03/01/10 11:25 AM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
In addition to giving dangerously inaccurate diet and care information, (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets is a mill broker. They buy gliders from mill breeders and go around selling at malls, home show and the like to impulse buyers. They are well known for selling gliders that are sick, parasite ridden and also often far to young to be away from their mother. Most of these joeys die and hardly ever had a chance.

Gliders are exotic animals and have complex nutritional needs. There are many diets out there but a specific ratio of protien, fruits, veggies and other nutrients is generally agreed on. Ca:Ph must be 2:1 Gliders are sap suckers and require a fresh, wet diet. An animal that can glide should not be confined to a 1ft by 1ft cage, like (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets recommends, but rather a cage that gives them freedom of natural movement.

We as a community have worked long and hard to improve the life of the captive glider, and standards have been set that you will see across the boards and website, but you need to be careful where you research. (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets has several facade websites they use in an attempt to validate themselves, the "ASGV", for example where you saw those videos- btw NEVER try to stop you glider from biting useing the nethod described in their video. You could seriously injure your glider.

Continue to research here-be sure to check out the articles section

www.suzsugargliders.com is another great source of info.

My vets office, Ness Exotic Wellness Center also has a Sugar Glider Care sheet. You will notice that a legitimate, glider experienced vets care information will be wildly different from that on the (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets and ASGV site. Hope this helps.

:leu: Sugaree Gliders :rtmo:

Simba, Nala, Rain, Snow & Sugaree

Shadowdancer, Sugar Magnolia, Sunshine Daydream, Winter, Twinkle, Twilight, Everlette, Sparkle, Polar Bear, Indigo & Willow

Re: Perfect Pocket Pets? [Re: ] #913402
03/01/10 12:13 PM
03/01/10 12:13 PM

J
JamieInWA
Unregistered
JamieInWA
Unregistered
J

Originally Posted By: ajk21
Okay so I read alot their webpages and videos and now I come here and I'm hearing people form here and a few other sites that are talking bad about these people. So Far its about their equipment or something. So what is the problem? I mean are their facts compltetely wrong or something? There's a lady I know near me that has a glider and has raised her's for the past 6 years just about the same way they have done things. I'm just curious because I like to know point of views and oppinions on both side before siding or anything. Obviously everybody has their own personal because of how they raise their pets and such-but everyone has a stand too apparently. So just fill me in please so I wont feel so lost in the dark when I read something about people saying "they are bad" or "i feel so sorry for the gliders" or something....i mean...so far I dont really see a problem (except maybe the views which is no different then if your a parent of your own human child-we raise them differntly as we see fit and such)
anyways, thanks in advance

You have come to the right place for information. I agree with the posts above. I just wanted to add that there are a few websites that seem to support (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets and rate them highly. BEWARE...these are owned by the same people just to make themselves look better. Also...totally ignore the vet videos on you tube...he has been paid off by (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets and is the "president" of a fake company that (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets created. He basically reads word for word what is on the (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets website.

Welcome to GC. There is a lot of info here and people are very helpful. I am in the process of getting my first joeys from a reputable breeder. She is spending time with the joeys daily and I feel that this will make them better pets. When I first started my journey I found the (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets website and those vet videos on you tube and thought nothing of it. I mean, if a vet says it...it must be true right? Wrong! I am sooooooooooo greatful that I found out the truth before purchasing malnourished, underage, imbred, and parasite ridden joeys from them...who probably have only ever been touched by human hands when they were pulled from their mom (too early). I can't imagine how much MORE work this would be.

Well, good luck to you! Kudos for researching before you buy.

Re: Perfect Pocket Pets? [Re: ] #913481
03/01/10 04:11 PM
03/01/10 04:11 PM
Chicago, IL
Twintone Offline
Joey Member
Twintone  Offline
Joey Member

Chicago, IL
I first learned about sugar gliders from a exhibit at a street festival last year by Pocket Pets (they were actually under the name Sugar Bears at this place). It certainly peaked my interested and they looked like cute little critters but I couldn't fathom dropping a few hundred dollars on a pet that you just found out about that day. Beyond a goldfish, buying any pet takes some planning and as we know sugar gliders will be a part of the family for many years to come.

The problem with their gliders is that we don't really know anything about their gliders. You could get a glider that is old enough to be sold and hasn't been inbred. You could get a glider that hasn't been weaned properly, carries parasites, had traumatic experiences with humans up to this point. It's sad for the gliders and unfair for the buyers. The people you see at those shows selling gliders and starter kits are salesmen. They get commission on how many they sale. It's not like they know all the gliders personally, it's their job. If they fudge some facts to make it seem easier to get you to buy a glider, they'll do it.

And the dreaded diet question. I wish (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets wouldn't push the "pellets and slice of apple" thing. A lot of different people on here swear by the diet they use (BML, HPW, Priscilla's Exotic, etc), but all kind of follow the basic rule of 2:1 calcium to phosphorus ratio and 30-50% of the diet is protein. When you first research these diets it seems daunting especially compared to just store bought pellets, but really I've found it hasn't been that bad. It only takes a few minutes a day to prepare a meal and if anything has forced me to eat more fruit since I'm sharing it with my gliders.

You should contact a vet (particularly one that knows sugar gliders, exotics and small mammals) and ask their opinion on diet. I guarantee they won't say pellets and a slice of apple. I emailed a zoo awhile back to see what they fed their gliders since they pretty much have around the clock vet supervision and sure enough it sounded similar to the diets you'll read on GC-- proteins and insects and variety of fruits and veggies.

Good luck in your search!

Dustin
Gliders: Linus :grey: & Lucy :wfb:
Re: Perfect Pocket Pets? [Re: Twintone] #913515
03/01/10 05:53 PM
03/01/10 05:53 PM
roseville, mi
H
hwh4ev Offline
Glider Addict
hwh4ev  Offline
Glider Addict
H

roseville, mi
ajk21,
my first sugar glider was from a mill breeder at the state
fair. we bought the whole shabang, pellets, feed an apple,
small cage, etc. this guy said to feed cat food also.
well to make a long story short, i started invesigating
found some good sites, suncoast and this one and started
changing everything, but my sugar's immune system hasn't
been good and she has had 4 abcess's above her eye, vet
bills and meds. have reached over 700.00 so far and we
are still giving her meds.(almost 3 months) with this last recurrence and hopefully this will be the end of it. putting her under to get all the pus, etc. out has taken a toll on my baby.
so if you want a sugar glider, get one from a REPUTABLE
breeder.
there are alot of good breeders here on gc, but do your
home work and it will probally save you money in the long
run with a HEALTHY joey.

regards,
nancy in detroit

regards,
nancy in roseville (formerly in detroit)
Re: Perfect Pocket Pets? [Re: hwh4ev] #913705
03/02/10 08:30 AM
03/02/10 08:30 AM

A
ajk21
Unregistered
ajk21
Unregistered
A

thank you all for your posts! Yes a=I agree-I do not want to get a mill breader because I agree its wrong. And as far as the diet-I had already planed on having different things that they should have-I jsut felt one of the most important ones was fruits, but no you can't just feed the same thing over and over. But it also does have to fit for their systems-so e=yes I agree with you all! I appreciate it and yes I will read more.

Re: Perfect Pocket Pets? [Re: ] #913811
03/02/10 02:03 PM
03/02/10 02:03 PM
Eastern NC
melek007 Offline
Glider Addict
melek007  Offline
Glider Addict

Eastern NC

~ I miss my Alev, Nese & Levent ~
Re: Perfect Pocket Pets? [Re: melek007] #913838
03/02/10 02:53 PM
03/02/10 02:53 PM
Florida
LabNGliderMom Offline
Glider Addict
LabNGliderMom  Offline
Glider Addict

Florida
TOP 20 REASONS NOT TO BUY A SUGAR GLIDER FROM VENDORS AT FAIRS, SHOWS, MALLS, EXPOS & FESTIVALS

1. They lie about where their gliders come from ((PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets is a clacc B "broker, NOT a breeder- they obtain their gliders from the sugar glider version of PUPPY MILLS)

2. Their gliders are often sick with giardia and/or coccydia which can kill the gliders and is transferrable to your other pets and even to people

3. They lie about proper sugar glider care and nutrition

4. The gliders they sell are often underweight

5. The gliders they sell have often been taken from their parents too young and are not ready to be on their own

6. Their cages are too small to be suitable for gliders

7. Their products, including the cages, diet components, pouches, and the gliders themselves are extremely over priced

8. Their gliders often come from mill breeding facilities where gliders are kept in over crowed, unsanitary conditions

9. They advocate the use of heat rocks which are both unnecessary and dangerous for gliders

10. They took it upon themselves to change the name of an entire species from sugar glider to “sugar bear” just to keep you from finding good care, information, and advice when you look up the animal on the internet

11. They tell you that these are easy animals to care for (like a hamster or gerbil) when they actually have special needs

12. They tell you not to listen to anyone but them (especially not anyone on a sugar glider forum- they claim our info is all "outdated")out of fear that you will find out they are lying to you about these animals

13. They will not allow you to tour their facility or see in person where their gliders are born and raised

14. Their gliders have often been severely inbred leading to deformities and genetic issues like HLP (Hind Leg Paralysis)

15. They tell you these animals never need vet care when they actually DO need vet care and should ONLY be seen by glider knowledgeable exotic vets (except in emergencies)

16. They tell you sugar gliders will get along with your other pets, when in reality, it is dangerous to let your other pets near a sugar glider as the glider might be injured or even eaten

17. They tell you sugar gliders can survive on nothing but glide-r-chow, glide-a-mins, bread, and apples… in reality, they need a specific calcium to phosphorous ratio and a specific amount of protein in their diet.

18. They tell you gliders do not smell if you do not feed them meat… first of all, they are NOT vegetarians, they are OMNIVORES and they REQUIRE a protein (meat) source in their diet and second of all, the MALES all have SCENT GLANDS on their heads and their chests… they will always have SOME scent once they hit puberty, and the ONLY way to lessen the odor at all is to have them neutered and put them on an APPROVED diet (like HPW or BML).

19. They don’t tell you important glider facts like how some are prone to a problem called SM (Self-Mutilation - where if they feel pain they are capable to EATING holes in their own bodies to “dig in to find the pain” and they can KILL THEMSELVES by doing so).

20. They claim the products they sell are manufactured and created by them… but they are actually PURCHASED by them and then repackaged with a new label, so they are taking credit for someone else’s work.

Julie
Hubby: George
Kids: Ayla & Michael
Grandsons: Trysten, Dayton, KJ & Nathyn
The Zoo: Midnight, Severe & Nala - Claude, Pixie, Tippy & Chili - Scout & Soluna, Theo & Deegie

http://hammockhavenpetsplus.com

Re: Perfect Pocket Pets? [Re: LabNGliderMom] #913850
03/02/10 03:06 PM
03/02/10 03:06 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
Quote:
14. Their gliders have often been severely inbred leading to deformities and genetic issues like HLP (Hind Leg Paralysis)

Yes, the inbreeding can lead to defomities and genetic issues but HLP is cause from a calcium deficency. This is either caused by improper diet or is a secondary symptom of another health issue such as parasites or bacterial infections.

Slow onset of HLP is often due to diet. Sudden onset is often indicative of other issues such as bacterial infection or parasites.

Regardless, both need to be treated by a vet and the primary issue (that causes the HLP) has to be addressed or the HLP will not get better.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Perfect Pocket Pets? [Re: Dancing] #914050
03/02/10 08:52 PM
03/02/10 08:52 PM

S
suggiemommaof1
Unregistered
suggiemommaof1
Unregistered
S

I was one of those impulse buyers that got taken when I came upon them in my local mall. they were so cute and the line they give you they really make them out to be so extremely easy to take care of, even to the extent of saying they are so easy they are no longer considered exotic animals. I was so convinced I bought right on the spot...the whole thing including cage and 2 years worth of food thinking I was saving on paying for shipping cost since they convinced me they had the best diet and scared me into thinking if I feed her anything else she would smell.
Well long story short, within 12 hrs I had an extremely sick and dehydrated, to young, sugar glider on my hands that was dying. spent days and hrs and over $700 in vet bills to get her healthy. then learned from this site the true way to take care of them. now I love my sugar gliders...BUT I never would have bought one if I had been told the truth about how much work they really are to take care of. My children do not get to enjoy them because they don't wake up until after 11pm, and are back to sleep by the time they are up...so much for getting a pet the kids can enjoy. that also causes me to lose sleep since I need to stay awake late just so I can spend some awake time with them and let them out of their cage. bought only one glider..told they can be housed alone and now since learning the truth that they need a cage mate got a 4yr old rescue, but she was not handled and now I have to try to tame her and bond her with my other one..so two cages, and alot of time involved.
I would not give up on my gliders, I love them dearly, but would not have chosen to have this kind of pet if I was told the truth. they are alot of work and at hrs we should be sleeping!

Re: Perfect Pocket Pets? [Re: ] #914061
03/02/10 09:12 PM
03/02/10 09:12 PM
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

WI
The biggest red flag that went up for me when I was first researching glider was the fact that they tell you not to listen to anyone but them as far as the care of gliders.

Any good breeder will encourage and require a potential buyer to do their research from multiple sources, in order to gain as much knowledge as possible.

Allie
Re: Perfect Pocket Pets? [Re: Glide_Bye_Lily] #914182
03/03/10 02:30 AM
03/03/10 02:30 AM
Colorado, USA
Paani Offline
Glider Lover
Paani  Offline
Glider Lover

Colorado, USA
Originally Posted By: Glide_Bye_Lily
Any good breeder will encourage and require a potential buyer to do their research from multiple sources, in order to gain as much knowledge as possible.

It's true that research is a good thing but to give the devil his due, you have to admit there is a lot of conflicting (and bad) advice out on the Web. Honey's good, no it's bad. Bare galvanized wire causes zinc poisoning, no it causes UTIs, no rust causes UTIs, it's fine. etc.

Nala, Ronald & Reuel (formerly Eladio & Petal) :plat:
Judah :rbridge: Anson :rbridge: Lele :rbridge: Laki :rbridge:
Re: Perfect Pocket Pets? [Re: Paani] #914298
03/03/10 11:32 AM
03/03/10 11:32 AM

C
CalamityAnnie
Unregistered
CalamityAnnie
Unregistered
C

Originally Posted By: Paani
Originally Posted By: Glide_Bye_Lily

It's true that research is a good thing but to give the devil his due, you have to admit there is a lot of conflicting (and bad) advice out on the Web. Honey's good, no it's bad. Bare galvanized wire causes zinc poisoning, no it causes UTIs, no rust causes UTIs, it's fine. etc.

Yes, while what you say is true as well, I think here we try to have open discussions on what may or may not be true (The Fact or Fiction forum). We never say "This is what we believe and you should not ever EVER EVER go anywhere else and look for information yourself because everyone else is dangerous!!". This is what (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets does!!

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 155 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,547 TEXAS
679,062 OHIO
487,124 OKLAHOMA
432,131 UTAH
321,659 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024