Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Impacted anal gland #691041
12/12/08 07:34 PM
12/12/08 07:34 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline OP
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
I had Simba in to the vet because he was hissing when he went to the bathroom (#2). It turns out that he had impacted anal glands cry One side was harder than the other so my vet put him under to check him out better. He expressed the cloaca and Simba is on Baytril for a while. Treatment may change based on the result of the culture... I did get to go back and watch the procedure which was interesting.

Does anyone here know exactly how/why this happens? My vet thought it may be from over marking. If anyone has knowlege/experience with this please share...

:leu: Sugaree Gliders :rtmo:

Simba, Nala, Rain, Snow & Sugaree

Shadowdancer, Sugar Magnolia, Sunshine Daydream, Winter, Twinkle, Twilight, Everlette, Sparkle, Polar Bear, Indigo & Willow

Re: Impacted anal gland [Re: SugareeErin] #691076
12/12/08 08:11 PM
12/12/08 08:11 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Your vet is right about the cause. Sometimes the glands will plug up with the scent oils. It's fairly common in dogs.

Re: Impacted anal gland [Re: LSardou] #691082
12/12/08 08:22 PM
12/12/08 08:22 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Cayden has this problem occasionally as well, my vet said there are several causes and some animals are just more prone to them. The concern is greater when there is an infection present (so far, Cayden's have just been clogged a couple of times, not infected).

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Impacted anal gland [Re: sugarlope] #691092
12/12/08 08:34 PM
12/12/08 08:34 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline OP
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
Gretchen what signs do you watch for that show his glands are clogged? I felt the glands today and could feel the difference between them...

Shadowdancer, Sugar Magnolia, Sunshine Daydream, Winter, Twinkle, Twilight, Everlette, Sparkle, Polar Bear, Indigo & Willow

Re: Impacted anal gland [Re: SugareeErin] #691133
12/12/08 09:47 PM
12/12/08 09:47 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
The swelling at the base of the tail is the most obvious. I feel them regularly on Cayden since I know he sometimes has a problem. I wonder sometimes if there are certain foods that cause it, because it seems like he will have more problems one month and then go a couple of months without any problems at all (and my batches of food last about a month). dunno But I have just started keeping better track of the foods I use to see if I can figure it out for him.

I went out of town for a couple of days and when I came back his glands were so full that when he peed it spurted out and he had difficulty pooping, so do keep a watch on them. Once I drained them a few days in a row, he was ok again.

If you aren't sure, you can feel the difference on one of your healthy gliders to know for sure. thumb

I'm sorry that he is having problems. Let us know what happens with the culture. hug2

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Impacted anal gland [Re: sugarlope] #691202
12/13/08 12:00 AM
12/13/08 12:00 AM
Orem, UT
kipluck Offline
Glider Explorer
kipluck  Offline
Glider Explorer

Orem, UT
My goodness! I have heard of this happening with dogs (my roomie has small dogs, and for some reason certain breeds have a predisposition to it and regularly need to be "expressed.") but not suggies. Now I have another thing to check for. frown I'm one of those moms. "Hi babies! Why aren't you playing? NANI, ARE YOU LETHARGIC?! Oh, no, I woke you up in the middle of the day again to inspect you. How's your water? Flowing freely to the touch? What about you... nobody tenting are they? Everyone's noses pink, hmmm? And your feet... HEBER, WHY CAN'T YOU LIFT YOUR FOOT?! Oh, you just did. Okay. Is everyone free to move about? Nobody's nails stuck in the pouch are they? Anybody need a clip? Any strings or holes in the pouch? Did you wear out any of your toys last night to the point I should throw them out? Alright then, have a mealie that I raised myself because I don't trust the pet store."

Etcetera. grin

BethAnn aka: Kipluck
I miss you, my babies, Epiphany Jo, Lilo,& Heber! :rbridge: :rbridge: :rbridge: http://www.sugarshock.homestead.com
http://www.critters2go.homestead.com
Re: Impacted anal gland [Re: kipluck] #691560
12/13/08 02:22 PM
12/13/08 02:22 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline OP
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
roflmao Ya the life of a suggie mom roflmao I know I hate to leave even for a night. I worry so much about my babies.

Thanks Gretchen, that helps. He is sterile but I am probably going to have him neutered so he won't mark as much.

Re: Impacted anal gland [Re: SugareeErin] #691584
12/13/08 02:58 PM
12/13/08 02:58 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
I can't explain it, Cayden only started his troubles last year (he turned 3 yrs OOP this weekend). None of my others have ever had a problem.

But I do know what you mean, kipluck, I have a checklist that I go down, things I do daily and then do a more thorough feel of all of them weekly.

~Gretchen

Re: Impacted anal gland [Re: sugarlope] #691592
12/13/08 03:05 PM
12/13/08 03:05 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline OP
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
Simba is three years old too. He was OOP 8-8-05. He was owned by Priscalla most of his life, I just got him recently.

Re: Impacted anal gland [Re: SugareeErin] #691766
12/13/08 09:34 PM
12/13/08 09:34 PM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Jackie_Chans_Mom  Offline
Glider Addict

Texas
I have had more experience than I care to have with anal glands, infection, etc. Last July Apollo ended up having his anal glands removed. I would be happy to speak with you further about it, though you have really gotten some good information from Gretchen.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Impacted anal gland [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #693747
12/16/08 02:08 PM
12/16/08 02:08 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline OP
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
So I got the peliminary results back from the C+S on Simba, and they found a high concentration of two bacterias. Escherichia Zoli (e-coli) and Proteus Mirabilis cry Since they found bacteria does that mean he has an infection? I haven't been able to speak to my vet about it yet.

For now we will be sticking to the current treatment. I have decided to keep the girls with him and just keep a very close eye on them since they have already been exposed anyway. I am so worried about my boy! I wish I had caught this earlier frown

Re: Impacted anal gland [Re: SugareeErin] #693771
12/16/08 03:01 PM
12/16/08 03:01 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
It is an infection, but it should not be catching (I don't think). I would definitely keep watch on him, how is he doing, are the glands staying down more since he has been on the meds? Since the culture has come through positive, you may need to change antibiotics so to those that will treat the specific bacteria found (I would ask about it, to be sure). A broad spectrum antibiotic is good in a pinch, but won't always clear everything up, which is why you have a culture done.

Let us know how things are going. I'm sorry he has an infection, Erin. I hope he is through it soon. hug2

~Gretchen

Re: Impacted anal gland [Re: sugarlope] #694022
12/16/08 08:32 PM
12/16/08 08:32 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline OP
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
I am going to quarantine the cage just incase, but keep the girls with him. I am putting them in my bedroom where a can keep a closer eye on them as well.

He seems to be doing okay, the glands have gone down since being expressed and with him being on the antibiotic. He was hissing tho when he went potty last night. frown On the bright side he seems to have forgiven me for making him take medicine and is being more agreeable.

We are still waiting for the sensitivity on one of the bacterias, so once that is in treatment may change...I will update once I know more.

I just hate to think that he is in pain cry Val recommended a diet with high water content for a few days to help him, so I am going to try to get some HPW asap to feed him.

PS thanks for the hugs I need them hug2

Re: Impacted anal gland [Re: SugareeErin] #694029
12/16/08 08:37 PM
12/16/08 08:37 PM

C
chastity
Unregistered
chastity
Unregistered
C

Not sure where to post this but I got a question??? I was at my local pet store & they have a glider next to a pair of love birds... she was eating the food the birds were spitting in her cage. (bird seed) Wouldn't that impact her anal glands? I told them to move her or the birds that they shoudln't be that close together.

Re: Impacted anal gland [Re: SugareeErin] #694033
12/16/08 08:40 PM
12/16/08 08:40 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Thank you for the update on your babies. I'm sorry that he has to go through this (and you). I'm sure happy to see that your vet is taking all the necessary precautions and doing the tests to determine the cause.
I will keep everyone in my prayers. Keep up the good work!
hug2

Re: Impacted anal gland [Re: LSardou] #694052
12/16/08 09:10 PM
12/16/08 09:10 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline OP
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
Yes, I have a great vet heart I don't know what I would do without him. They just added another doctor to the practice too, so its much easier to get in fast now. thumb

Re: Impacted anal gland [Re: SugareeErin] #694565
12/17/08 03:00 PM
12/17/08 03:00 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline OP
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
The doc left me a message that both bacteria are resposive to the Baytril, so we will be continuing that fro another 10 days at least... I still need to speak to the vet today in person.

I am just going to mix more water into my diet or pedialite depending on what my vet thinks and mix the food in the blender so its softer and easier for him.

I am afraid that Simba has been shaking the meds out after he goes back into his pouch, so I am not sure if he actually took them the last couple days. This morning I made sure that he got them down.

I am going to try putting pudding on the end of the syringe and see if that entices him to lick and take the meds better. I am sooo worried about him, I could cry frown I am praying that he will be okay and gets better soon.

Re: Impacted anal gland [Re: SugareeErin] #694591
12/17/08 03:43 PM
12/17/08 03:43 PM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Jackie_Chans_Mom  Offline
Glider Addict

Texas
Hang in there, Erin. You are doing great.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Impacted anal gland [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #694781
12/17/08 10:21 PM
12/17/08 10:21 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
hug2 hug2 hug2

~Gretchen

Re: Impacted anal gland [Re: sugarlope] #694837
12/17/08 11:27 PM
12/17/08 11:27 PM

B
bdeese
Unregistered
bdeese
Unregistered
B

~~hugs~~

Re: Impacted anal gland [Re: ] #694993
12/18/08 02:37 AM
12/18/08 02:37 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
I got to talk to Erin earlier today, and a few things for general information on these-plus it sounds like one of the glands may be abscessing as opposed to just impacting, though it may have started that way. Usually when a concentration of bacteria is able to be expressed with the secretions, or if color of the expressed fluid is yellow, green, or thick (normal is a thin, milky looking, and slightly sticky fluid), abscess is likely.

1. Which diet a glider is on really has nothing to do with these-provided it is an approved diet. If not, would need changed whether the glider was ill or not. Foods do not route through these glands, though a food allergy or sensitivity may make the body act in a way that could possibly precipitate an issue, it would probably affect other things first.

2. I would definitely recommend yogurt in general for gliders (unless an individual glider has a problem with it in general) and particularly when one is ill and/or on antibiotics.

3. Do NOT express your glider's glands unless/until you know what you are doing. Although dogs may have similar issues, these glands are NOTHING like a dog's. They are multi chambered and fragile, much like a ferrets-and even vets have ruptured these chambers by handling them too roughly, causing irreparable damage.

These glands are located at 3:00 and 9:00 positions to the cloaca (tail being 6, head 12:00). They should be very small normally, and softish-about the size of a grain of rice, and can be difficult to feel/locate, when healthy.

4. When these glands are swollen, they can be painful for the glider, and this CAN lead to SM-so watch for signs of that, and utilize adequate pain control. Torb is recommended for anything longer than 3 days, though Metacam can be used for up to 3 (NO LONGER!) days to manage swelling and inflammation. If used, do not use Metacam for another course for at least a week to 10 days to give the body time to recover. Of course, if the glider isn't acting as if he is uncomfortable, it need not be used.

5. It can also make it uncomfortable for the glider to eliminate, particularly if an abscess is present/open, due to irritation from the compounds and acids irritating raw tissue further as they pass by. When swelling is not excessive, this is usually the cause of the hissing. Keeping urine fairly dilue and poop soft, by adding water to the diet, and limiting proteins/bugs and veggies that tend to firm the poop, can help with discomfort. Favor watery fruits such as melons, papaya, applesauce.

6. Frequently these are building long before the glider shows any sign of illness/discomfort. They may come/go, or present like recurrent UTIs or suspected UTIs, as until the glands are noticeable or checked out, physical symptoms are pretty much the same-hissing when peeing/pooping.

6. When these glands abscess, you WANT them draining. Abscesses are very hard to treat, particularly in areas with little blood circulation, or oxygen, both of which conditions are present in the cloaca, because they need to heal from the INSIDE OUT. If they close over the top, leaving an infected pocket inside, they will simply start over, even if the pocket is small. Gradually it will build again to where symptoms present, and you get to start over, possibly with a now resistant strain of bacteria, or a different one.

Smaller infections caught early and treated long enough-minimum 21 days first round meds-have a good chance of being cured. If they are more advanced, or damage has been done to the glands, or caused by the infection, such as ruptured chambers or formation of very much scar tissue, they will keep recurring and removal would be a good thing to consider, for the sake of both owner and glider. Too many antibiotics over too long a time can be hard on the organs as well, though they are a useful tool...after 2 or 3 recurrences, particularly if less progress is being made on each, consider removal of the glands.

Although the cloacal area is sort of internal, it is nothing like abdominal surgery-it's kind of an in-between area. Removal for any vet that has done this on a ferret should be a fairly easy procedure. That doesn't mean it's minor, risk of SM is present post op, an E-Collar and more post op care/caution and post op pain control is needed than with a neuter, as stitches are required and will not come out for about 10 days. With a good surgeon recovery should be smooth and the glider should be fine, and without the recurrent infections. Because of the fact that these glands do help to lubricate the poop slight diet modifications are recommended for a glider without the glands, mainly concerned with hydration and limiting constipating foods or those that firm the poop too much, they are easy to accommodate in most diets.

Hopefully this helps-keep us updated on how he's progressing.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Impacted anal gland [Re: Xfilefan] #695007
12/18/08 03:01 AM
12/18/08 03:01 AM

B
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
B

The infection should be pretty easy to explain. E-coli lives in the lower digestive tract of just about every single mammal on the PLANET! And isn't normally a problem unless you get a strain different than your own normal flora IN YOUR MOUTH! Your gliders should all have pretty much the same naturally ocurring flora, so there shouldn't be an issue with cross contamination. Also, the e-coli was most likely found in the sample as the claoca houses the gland opening AND the anus! So no shocker it was found there.

Now the proteus strains are anaerobic, meaning they don't need oxygen to survive, and in fact may NOT be able to survive with oxygen present. Most likely the proteus is the problematic critter, and grew prolifically in the closed up impacted gland.

My guess would be once the reason the gland is impacting is solved, there shouldn't be any more infections ocurring.

Sorry your baby is sick! Hope he feels better soon!

Re: Impacted anal gland [Re: Xfilefan] #695009
12/18/08 03:03 AM
12/18/08 03:03 AM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline OP
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
I can not thank everyone who has helped me and talked with me the last couple days enough. thanks I am sitting her watching Simba, he came out to eat a little and drink, then hopped around a little. He did hiss and cry once when he was out frown My poor poor baby frown

I hope that the diet modifications will make things a little more comfortable for him. I am making a new batch of food tomorrow. I am not sure how much to cut back on the ingredients, I was thinking 5 eggs vs. 6, a half cup veggies vs. 3/4 cup and 1/2 cup oatmeal vs 3/4 cup. Does that sound good? I wouldn't want to cut back too much or anything. I hope to actually be able to speak with my vet in person tomorrow instead of through phone messages and will ask his opinion as well. He agreed with adding a bit of water to the diet.

Simba is back in his pouch now. He seems to be spending a lot of time in the pouch. I want to stay up all night and watch him, but I guess I should try to get some sleep. Thank you all for the support.

Re: Impacted anal gland [Re: SugareeErin] #695038
12/18/08 04:09 AM
12/18/08 04:09 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
You're right that Ecoli lives in the digestive tract normally, but if it grows in huge numbers that aren't normal, or gets into places it shouldn't be (i.e. it shouldn't be INSIDE the anal glands)-then it's a threat. Strep is also normal in the throat/mouth, but if it gets into, say, skin-then you're in trouble.

Erin, let us know what your vet thinks diet-wise, and I know the modifications I suggested on the phone (and above) help Binx. Hopefully this can be cleared up. You have my number now so call anytime if you need to.

You may want to look into some torb for him for until he starts feeling a bit better also-light dose. It could also make him a little sleepier than normal, which can actually be good for healing sometimes, as active as these little guys tend to be.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Impacted anal gland [Re: Xfilefan] #696118
12/19/08 05:05 PM
12/19/08 05:05 PM

C
caelainn
Unregistered
caelainn
Unregistered
C

Can girls have this happen as well? I've noticed that our pouch has been "wet" after the girls were in it. They were at a friends house the last few weeks so I thought it might be stress. She mentioned that they seemed to be drinking a lot of water, though I haven't noticed that myself. (She works in a vet office, but is new to gliders.) Izzy has always "frozen" when when she first comes out and poops, i.e. stays attached to the side of the cage/tent for a long time, but she always has and we've had her a year. She doesn't make any sounds while doing it, and poops just fine. I've always just considered it kind of her quirky behavior, since she is always very wary and slower to warm up. I haven't noticed any other real behavioral changes though. I posted about them seeming to be more smelly than other girls on the board, but that's not really new either. I've considered separating them for a few days to see if it's just one that smells. At least I know from "direct contact", i.e she peed on me, that Bella's pee doesn't smell strong, and the wet pouch doesn't have a strong smell, just damp. It was also newly clean so could just be marking I guess. If girls can get a blocked gland them maybe Izzy could have that, but seems like an awful long time to have had that condition. Izzy seems to be eating well.

Re: Impacted anal gland [Re: ] #696123
12/19/08 05:13 PM
12/19/08 05:13 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Yes, I think girls can have blocked or infected anal glands as well. I check all of my gliders since Cayden started having occasional problems. You can feel them (very gently) under the base of their tail on either side of the cloaca, as Jen described. If you aren't sure if her's are normal, feel your other glider to compare. thumb

~Gretchen

Re: Impacted anal gland [Re: sugarlope] #696137
12/19/08 05:36 PM
12/19/08 05:36 PM

C
caelainn
Unregistered
caelainn
Unregistered
C

I will definitely give it a try tonight. We are cleaning everything with Nature's Miracle to start from square one. They may have overmarked when they were away because of the new environment....or they may just be stinky girls :-(

Re: Impacted anal gland [Re: ] #696533
12/20/08 01:11 PM
12/20/08 01:11 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline OP
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
Simba update:

I think he is doing a little better. He was very active last night, he was playing and eating well.

I did not hear any hissing last night either. When I gave him his meds he had his penis all out, but it went right back in so I don't think it's anything to worry about.

I made a new batch of diet for him last night though I haven't been able to talk to my vet about it yet, waiting for a call back, not sure if he is in today or not. I guess they are still waiting on some test results so once those are in we are going to do a recheck. I think the diet change maybe helped ease his pain since he wasn't hissing...I also have been blending everything in the blender, yummy! Yes I tasted it smile I put Honeydew, cantalope, kiwi, papaya and mango as the friuts in this batch. Their stools were still well formed, so that is good.

He hates the meds, I tried blueberry yogurt on the syringe and he started licking it but when I pushed through some meds he made a face and shook his head. Then he refused to lick and more blueberry yogurt off so I had to force the meds. He is too smart, and catches on really fast.

Re: Impacted anal gland [Re: SugareeErin] #696535
12/20/08 01:16 PM
12/20/08 01:16 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Meds are never fun. frown I'm glad he seems to be doing well, though! I hope it continues. hug2

~Gretchen

Re: Impacted anal gland [Re: ] #697344
12/22/08 02:49 AM
12/22/08 02:49 AM
Orem, UT
kipluck Offline
Glider Explorer
kipluck  Offline
Glider Explorer

Orem, UT
Originally Posted By: caelainn
Can girls have this happen as well? I've noticed that our pouch has been "wet" after the girls were in it. They were at a friends house the last few weeks so I thought it might be stress. She mentioned that they seemed to be drinking a lot of water, though I haven't noticed that myself. (She works in a vet office, but is new to gliders.) Izzy has always "frozen" when when she first comes out and poops, i.e. stays attached to the side of the cage/tent for a long time, but she always has and we've had her a year. She doesn't make any sounds while doing it, and poops just fine. I've always just considered it kind of her quirky behavior, since she is always very wary and slower to warm up. I haven't noticed any other real behavioral changes though. I posted about them seeming to be more smelly than other girls on the board, but that's not really new either. I've considered separating them for a few days to see if it's just one that smells. At least I know from "direct contact", i.e she peed on me, that Bella's pee doesn't smell strong, and the wet pouch doesn't have a strong smell, just damp. It was also newly clean so could just be marking I guess. If girls can get a blocked gland them maybe Izzy could have that, but seems like an awful long time to have had that condition. Izzy seems to be eating well.
It sounds a LOT like a UTI to me, actually. My girl Nani got over one not long ago, but was on meds for 10 days and such. And that can last a LONG time and be just miserable. A vet visit is a VERY good idea. Nani's pee wasn't differently colored or smelling, but when she went it was usually inside the pouch which was odd for her, and just behaviorally she was different. She is usually sort of the "Alpha" of my 3 being VERY bossy but she was sort of getting pushed around.

KEEP her drinking a lot... because flushing it through is a good thing, but it's worth checking out with a vet. Also, if the vet doesn't think of it when they give you the antibiotic, get some Bene-Bac or similar stuff at the store so she doesn't develop a similarly miserable yeast infection!

BethAnn aka: Kipluck
I miss you, my babies, Epiphany Jo, Lilo,& Heber! :rbridge: :rbridge: :rbridge: http://www.sugarshock.homestead.com
http://www.critters2go.homestead.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 155 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,547 TEXAS
679,062 OHIO
487,124 OKLAHOMA
432,131 UTAH
321,659 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024