Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Shipping Tragedy [Re: ] #305326
06/04/07 08:29 AM
06/04/07 08:29 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
I'm terrified of shipping a glider, and have refused what might be a good home because it was too far. I know sometimes it's necessary, but it still scares me. frown I'm so sorry for your loss. hug2 hug2

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Shipping Tragedy [Re: Xfilefan] #305329
06/04/07 08:39 AM
06/04/07 08:39 AM
Tarpon Springs, FL
mattysmom Offline
Glider Guardian
mattysmom  Offline
Glider Guardian

Tarpon Springs, FL
This is a heart-breaking situation for all of us with gliders. I've only had good experiences with shipping and would suggest that we write - not rant and rave - at the airlines with suggestions as to how shipping procedures should be improved. Someone needs to be held responsible for the safety of any animals being shipped. I would not consider this personal property as you pay for their "ticket."

Moira & Matty & my zoo
Re: Shipping Tragedy [Re: mattysmom] #305340
06/04/07 09:11 AM
06/04/07 09:11 AM
SE Minnesota..
GliderLove Offline
Glider Addict
GliderLove  Offline
Glider Addict

SE Minnesota..
OMG...what a TRAGEDY! My heart goes out to you Linda, Tracy, and Danielle. I agree, something needs to be done to for the loss. I am so very sorry, I am devasted. cry

Cindy
Mom to
Jae, Ashton, Briannah, Nevaeh & Addy

& all my fuzzies!
Breeder of Leu's, Mosaics, wfb, and standard grey's.
Owner of www.MySugarAddiction.com

:rtmo: :leu:

Re: Shipping Tragedy [Re: ] #305344
06/04/07 09:22 AM
06/04/07 09:22 AM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
My heart broke reading this. When I moved back from CA I had my dog and a kitten. We had a changeover in planes. Animals are usually last ones in, first ones out. Well, everyone except us was getting off in Salt Lake City, Utah. Now we came from CA. I sat in the plane and watched my dog and cat out on the runway during a driving snowstorm for over an hour (delayed, so they didn't reload right away.) My pets were out there for an hour and a half. I was screaming at the stewardesses and was told 'there is nothing we can do, that is not our job!' I finally threatened to kick a window out if someone did not call someone and get my animals to a warm, dry place! It was horrible. My dog, I was not so worried about, but my kitten, she was born in CA, she was not prepared for cold and snow! She ended up catching pneumonia, but thankfully the vet was able to get to her in time. But I was so po'd! I flew Delta and vowed never again would I step on one of their planes.

I am so very sorry on those babies that did not make it. I hope something will be done to try to insure that does not ever happen again.

Could we all write letters to stress how important it is to follow procedure or something like that? Or contact a news orginization about it? If they think they are going to be exposed, they might be more likely to watch their p's and q's so to speak.

Let us know if we can do anything.

Godspeed sweet little angels.....

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: Shipping Tragedy [Re: ] #305382
06/04/07 10:10 AM
06/04/07 10:10 AM
Doniphan Mo
Carrie T Offline
Glider Addict
Carrie T  Offline
Glider Addict

Doniphan Mo
Awe, the sweet little female that passed was coming home to me. I'm sitting here crying for a little one I never met. Linda, I'm so sorry for this tragedy but please remember that none of this is your fault. heart hug2 hug2 heart

Re: Shipping Tragedy [Re: Carrie T] #305391
06/04/07 10:31 AM
06/04/07 10:31 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Carrie, I'm sorry we lost your little girl. Your survivor seems to be doing okay. She ate a bit last night and evplored the cage she is in. She just gave me one of those "please let me sleep" looks when I checked on her a few minutes ago. Erica is coming to pich her up today along with her family of 3.

Re: Shipping Tragedy [Re: ] #305394
06/04/07 10:36 AM
06/04/07 10:36 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That is so sad

Re: Shipping Tragedy [Re: ] #305400
06/04/07 10:42 AM
06/04/07 10:42 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Im on my way to pick up mine and CarrieT's gliders, Ill update later this afternoon.

Re: Shipping Tragedy [Re: ] #305408
06/04/07 10:50 AM
06/04/07 10:50 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Elee - See you soon

Re: Shipping Tragedy [Re: ] #305414
06/04/07 11:05 AM
06/04/07 11:05 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I honestly don't think I would be able to deal with this maturely. Right now, I want to write Continental and rip someone apart. How horrible. frown This is so awful. I am so sorry to everyone involved. My heart goes out to you.

Re: Shipping Tragedy [Re: ] #305417
06/04/07 11:10 AM
06/04/07 11:10 AM
Phoenix, Arizona!!
BlndGrl8 Offline
Glider Slave
BlndGrl8  Offline
Glider Slave

Phoenix, Arizona!!
I am so sad for those babies! That just breaks my heart cry I know those gliders have been through so much and to see it end like that just saddens me. I pray that the other gliders will be ok and that somehow something can be changed with shipping to be safer.

heart Kristin
:glider: Sparkles &
Flower

mlove Loving Husband Christopher
angel Proverbs 3:5,6

Re: Shipping Tragedy [Re: Dancing] #305436
06/04/07 11:22 AM
06/04/07 11:22 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted By: Dancing
I have spoken to Linda and we are working on a safer solution to use with shipping gliders. Something that will prevent them from getting wet even if they are left out in the rain (like Continental seems to do). I will definately post when we have the details worked out.

Unfortunately I threw the crate out, but I seem to remember my crate from Priscilla at Pet Gliders having a protective shield in case of wet weather. Does anyone else who has received from her remember this?

Re: Shipping Tragedy [Re: BlndGrl8] #305438
06/04/07 11:24 AM
06/04/07 11:24 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This was such a hard post to read. I read about neglectful suggie owners, pet stores, mill breeders... but these are people we pay to take care of our animals, keep them safe! I agree that I would have a hard time dealing with this maturely at this point, so kudos to you guys for handling this so well.

Those babies will be in my thoughts for a long long time for all they've been through, and Julz and Aiden are getting extra mealies and loves today because I'm so happy they are safe and sound with me...

Re: Shipping Tragedy [Re: ] #305455
06/04/07 11:45 AM
06/04/07 11:45 AM
Central Connecticut
BCChins Offline
Glider Addict
BCChins  Offline
Glider Addict

Central Connecticut
I am very sorry to everyone involved. Linda/Tracie/Danielle you are all wonderful for doing everything you could for these gliders.
Hugs and lean on us to help you though this.

If there is anything we can do to help with making travel safer let us know.

Zoeberry they had a plastic sheet across the top of the carrier but the way these were shipped is different. They should have been fine if they were not left outside.

Have a Good Day
Brenda &
Mr. Magoo

Friendly Reminder please have an e-collar ready before you need it......
Re: Shipping Tragedy [Re: ] #305456
06/04/07 11:46 AM
06/04/07 11:46 AM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
hug2 My heart and prayers go out to everyone who is involved with the care, shipping, and receiving of these little babies. This is uncalled for, and I feel that there should be something done to prevent this type of situation from happening again.
If those crates were labled correctly and clearly stated "LIVE ANIMALS" on the outside, and the airlines deglected to follow the proper and safe handeling of these gliders than they are liable for whatever damages.
As a suggestion, it might help to have BRIEF INSTRUCTIONS placed on the outside of all the carriers.
Again, I am so so sorry Linda, Tracy, Danielle, and CarrieT that this has happened. I pray that all the other little ones are alright. heart

Re: Shipping Tragedy [Re: LSardou] #305464
06/04/07 11:53 AM
06/04/07 11:53 AM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
cry cry I am so sorry for everyone who lost a little one due to the airline's negligence. I'm so devastated, those poor babies deserved so much more. hug2 hug2 hug2 for all you guys are going through, I just don't know what else to say. Except, if there is anything I can do to help ensure this never happens again, please let me know! Again, I am soooo sorry! cry

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove
Gliders: Eugene, Sandy, Seri; Bobbi, Spice; Star, Squiddi; Pearl, Pip; Petrie; Jimny, Pinocchio; Anna & Elsa
Dogs: Nacho & Dory
RIP my glider angels: Nynaeve, Poppy, Lan, Toffee, Zoey, Tika & Tas

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: Shipping Tragedy [Re: Usha77] #305468
06/04/07 11:55 AM
06/04/07 11:55 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

omg this is horrible..
what kind of carrier was it? I know that dog type ones have windows on the sides sometimes and a large one on the front. maybe find a way to cover them and make sure the inner container stays in one place besides just a towel.

Re: Shipping Tragedy [Re: Usha77] #305474
06/04/07 12:02 PM
06/04/07 12:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

All of the survivors still seem to be doing well this morning. I talked to me vet and she has offered to do a necropsy at no charge to try to help figure out what happened. I have decided that I am going to take her up on the offer, I spoke with a representative of Continentals Pet Safe Program this morning. She said that they only handle claims for dogs and cats. That I would have to file a claim with the Cargo Claims Department for sugar gliders. Tell me that makes since. I also noticed this morning, in the light of day and with a bit clearer head, that the plastic airbill pouch, and the paper airbill sticker that the airline puts on the carrier was placed over some of the ventalation holes. This could have also played a part in the loss. We will all grieve for the 4 babies lost, but will treasure the survivors even more knowing that they could have been lost as well.

Re: Shipping Tragedy [Re: ] #305480
06/04/07 12:08 PM
06/04/07 12:08 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
cry I can't say what I'm thinking. mad A glider is a LIFE-no less valuable than any other. So because it's not a dog or cat it doesn't count!!?? Who do they think they are? That's got to be one of the most ignorant, insensitive remarks I've heard! CARGO?? And no, it doesn't make sense.

I'm glad the survivors are doing well. hug2

Last edited by Xfilefan; 06/04/07 12:09 PM.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Shipping Tragedy [Re: Xfilefan] #305486
06/04/07 12:20 PM
06/04/07 12:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I rarely venture into the Real Stories section because my heart just breaks everytime I read one of these. But I have read each and every response here, and have some things to share.

1) I would love to see a well-phrased petition here at GC where we could all sign up/post our support for better quality monitoring of LIVE "cargo" in loving memory of these four furry angels. Can this be done?

2) Whoever suggested the news, I think that is a fantastic idea. Had the airlines behaved differently in response to this...i.e., with sensitivitty and responsibility, I would not automaticaly jump on the news bandwagon. But from my limited perspective here, having only been able to follow this via posts, it sounds like the airline was grossly negligent and treated living beings as if they were duffle bags with clothes in them. It's unacceptable, and if the airline is not interested in corrective and apologetic measures for this without some "encouragement," perhaps getting the news stations and papers involved will help them step up to the plate.

3) I think that not just because of their "attitude" so to speak, but because of the real dangers this form of shipping seems to pose to animals, the public should be made aware that this "can" happen. Until today, I had not been aware of a single story regarding unsafe or improper conditions for PAID, SPECIAL animal transportation via airlines! People have a right to know this *could* happen to their animals.

I am sending love, prayers, and deepest sympathy on the loss of these beautiful, vibrant gliders who brought joy and smiles to many of us through their rescue story!!!

Love,
Jen

Re: Shipping Tragedy [Re: ] #305488
06/04/07 12:22 PM
06/04/07 12:22 PM
Ok
Sheila Offline
Serious Glideritis
Sheila  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Ok
This was not clearly stated, but were all these gliders in one carrier? Sixteen gliders in a small space like that is dangerous. A Taconiq carrier can have dividers, but having that many gliders in one carrier or bag would be stress alone to kill gliders. With a Taconiq with dividers, I would never ship more than four adult gliders or if pairs, three adult pairs. If the pouches were single pouches, they would get better air circulation. If they were doubled and having mutiple gliders in one bag could cause suffocation. There is not enough oxygen in an enclosed bag to allow them to breath.
It did not rain yesterday in Houston. I have checked the weather forcast on weather.com. The wet was due to the stress of the glider in the heat or a result of suffocation. High humidity can build up when you have that many gliders in a small area. Even having four gliders in one double bag can do this. There is not enough oxygen particularly when he temps are above 90 degrees. Continental does carry their animals over in a vehicle and many are aircondition, but the animals would have to sit in an enclosed vehicle for three minutes or more without air condition. All of the gliders would have failed had this been the case. I know even when they are loading the vehicles they are still running, so they don't let them get hot. It is most likely the ones that died were all in the same bag and pouches. If the pouch was a double pouch with four gliders, the greater chances of death. I posted this for people who might send mutiple gliders to begin with. In the summer it is best to use single layered pouches and when shipping multiple gliders, make sure they have their own individual bags.

Now a note to the shipper and recipients: I am so very sorry for the loss of the gliders. I am sorry because of the broken heart of the little girl. I have gliders here that would love a forever home that are tame that are retired. I don't charge for them, nor do I advertise them if that helps her in any way. I have done things as a breeder where it cost the life of a glider. No breeder or person is perfect. We all learn what to do based on life experiences. At the time it is heartbreaking, but we get stronger as time goes on. Please remember - God is concerned with the sparrow as well as the glider. He created it and new the day of its beginning and end. It was His time to take His little creatures away. It wouldn't have mattered what kind of precautions were taken, it was their time to go and leave this earth. gangel

ToandFro Gliders

http://www.toandfrogliders.com

USDA Licensed breeder for 12 years and counting!

WE SELL THE STEALTH WHEEL
Re: Shipping Tragedy [Re: Sheila] #305493
06/04/07 12:28 PM
06/04/07 12:28 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How horrible, I am so sorry for anyone who has ever has to deal with this.

Re: Shipping Tragedy [Re: ] #305505
06/04/07 12:42 PM
06/04/07 12:42 PM
Tarpon Springs, FL
mattysmom Offline
Glider Guardian
mattysmom  Offline
Glider Guardian

Tarpon Springs, FL
Zoeberry, I just tested the crate I have from a year ago and yes, it has a rainproof covering on top and the sides as well - how the air gets in I have yet to discover but six babies arrived safely a year ago. Do we have to add "FRAGILE" "DO NOT EXPOSE TO WATER/HEAT" and other big BOLD warnings? Live Animal should be sufficient but apparently is not when you're dealing with human error.

Moira & Matty & my zoo
Re: Shipping Tragedy [Re: mattysmom] #305551
06/04/07 01:31 PM
06/04/07 01:31 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am so sorry frown This is just so sad for everyone involved

Re: Shipping Tragedy [Re: ] #305591
06/04/07 02:14 PM
06/04/07 02:14 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Linda, I am so sorry for your loss.

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Shipping Tragedy [Re: Srlb] #305599
06/04/07 02:33 PM
06/04/07 02:33 PM
Long Island, NY
Gossamer Offline
Glider Slave
Gossamer  Offline
Glider Slave

Long Island, NY
I am so sorry for the loss of these gliders.

I cannot believe that the airline cannot be held accountable for this. If they were shipped through their special pets first program, they mush have some type of legalities involved. If you were to get a lawyer, I'm sure they can at least recoup shipping and vet charges. People who fall in a supermarket due to their own stupidity win law cases all the time. The airline must have responsibility.

Jeannine

3 Cats (Spike, Kismet, Honeycat)
1 understanding Husband
1 WFB Neutered Glider boy - Grissom! (oop 8/7/06) :wfb:
1 BB Glider girl- Willows! (oop 1/7/07) :bb:
Re: Shipping Tragedy [Re: Gossamer] #305605
06/04/07 02:41 PM
06/04/07 02:41 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I do have someone contacting a lawyer for me to see what can be done. Linda and I are also working together to put together a claim to send to the airlines. This has been my first experience with shipping animals, and it will be my last. I will help in any way I can with a petition for safer shipping by the airlines and with trying to find safer aways for us to send our little loved ones.

Re: Shipping Tragedy [Re: ] #305610
06/04/07 03:05 PM
06/04/07 03:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted By: Zoeberry
[Unfortunately I threw the crate out, but I seem to remember my crate from Priscilla at Pet Gliders having a protective shield in case of wet weather. Does anyone else who has received from her remember this?

Pricilla uses Taconic crates... I'm not sure where she gets them from, but I got some on e-bay a while back

Last edited by Laura_Leigh; 06/04/07 03:07 PM. Reason: here is the website for the crates http://www.taconic.com/wmspage.cfm?parm1=296
Re: Shipping Tragedy [Re: LSardou] #305611
06/04/07 03:09 PM
06/04/07 03:09 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So sorry to hear this.. I hope all the other gliders make it out OK!

Re: Shipping Tragedy [Re: ] #305631
06/04/07 03:45 PM
06/04/07 03:45 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
I'm just now reading this. I'm so sad. There was some friendly squabbling over Cage 1, because those were sweet babies that Linda said were tame and friendly from the get go.

This is horrible. I received a glider at O'Hare Airport in March. (picked it up and railroaded it for a friend) The glider was packed in a travel crate, inside that was a sturdy tupperware box with holes, inside that were layers and layers of fleece, packed around a large pouch with the baby inside. The glider's flight was delayed (I forget - 6 hours??) because of weather in Houston. Everything was damp when I opened the travel crate - I wrote it off to condensation, but now I just don't know.

I'm so sorry this happened to these 4 sweet gliders.

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024