Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Neuro Damaged Suggie Needs to Gain Weight! #1377498
09/07/14 08:11 PM
09/07/14 08:11 PM
NY
T
TiPu Offline OP
Out of Pouch
TiPu  Offline OP
Out of Pouch
T

NY
Hey All,

I am unsure if this should really be under the diet/nutrition forum, if you feel this is mislabeled, so sorry! I just want to avoid a double post smile

I am sure some of you have seen other posts about my girl Zoey. She has permanent neuro damage that leaves her typically weak on her left side with an adorable head tilt. She has been doing fantastic overall; however a month or so ago things took a serious nosedive. She was hardly able to move and notably lost weight. She was taken to the vet and was given more meloxicam, like the episode last year, which seemed to help a little. She is still very weak and stumbly with her movements unfortunately, and I have been struggling to get her to put on weight again. From her visit/episode last year, she had lost about 30 grams. She still has an appetite by all means, but the other two girls she shares the cage with seem to be hogging the food...and in turn have been getting rather plump themselves....

Logic tells me to try to get her to eat more protein to help let her gain weight. I have been letting her eat plenty of mealies on almost a daily basis now, and that seemed to help a little. I think the main problem is with my other two girls who are eating all the food before she can manage to slowly crawl to the plate. Just for reference, I am using the HPW Plus diet.

I am wondering if I should put her in my hospital cage for a little while to let her recoup on her own with her own separate supply of food that is perhaps more rich in calcium and protein. My main concern is her feeling separation anxiety from the other two girls, especially since she has not been separated from them before for a long period of time. She is also the "lowest on the totem pole" out of the three frown.

The vet and I had a concern that she was not getting enough calcium, and we are looking into a calcium supplement for her. My vet recommended the following: Calcium glubionate suspension/syrup.

I come to you guys for your ideas in terms of how to get little Zoey the extra food she needs to help her gain weight. If there are any other vets you know of who may be able to lend some extra expertise, I would greatly appreciate it as well! It's so heartbreaking to see my girlie go through the ups and downs she does, but she is such a determined little girl!

Here is a link to a video I posted privately on YouTube so you can see her movements and how she is unable to use the left side of her body and her front hands. She has compensated by using her head to help her move around. This was taken IN the vet office in July 2014 for documentation purposes in case we needed to talk to another vet. Please, do not share this link with anyone else without my permission first. You can see she is very cognizant of her surroundings and me being around her, and has a determination to gets where she wants to go. The white plate had mealworms on it a few minutes before and she is seen going back looking for more. If you are emotionally sensitive, this may be a difficult video to watch for some.

I appreciate your continued support with my girl Zoey. I wish there was a magic wand I could wave to make her ailments disappear, but I do the best I can in the meantime smile mlove

Last edited by GliderNursery; 09/07/14 09:22 PM. Reason: edited text, embedded video

The artsy engineer with a pouch full of cuteness

:bb: Amelia :grey: Aurora

:rbridge: Zoey
Re: Neuro Damaged Suggie Needs to Gain Weight! [Re: TiPu] #1377500
09/07/14 08:48 PM
09/07/14 08:48 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Putting her in a hospital cage at night and back with her buds during the day would allow her to eat with out them pushing her around.

You can also add avocado to her diet a couple times a week. I wouldn't add more protein as that gets taxing on their kidneys.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Neuro Damaged Suggie Needs to Gain Weight! [Re: TiPu] #1377509
09/07/14 09:43 PM
09/07/14 09:43 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
If the other gliders are eating all the food and she is not getting any, you need to take her out and allow her to have food for herself. A hospital cage may be the way to go right now.

I do not believe you need to add more calcium or protein to the diet as the diet (if fed as instructed) has plenty of calcium and protein. It doesnt matter how much more you add, if the other gliders are eating it first it still will not do any good for her.

If your vet would like to speak with another vet about this situation and the diet you are feeding please inbox me and I can give you Dr. Tristans number and he can discuss any concerns with your vet they may have.

Just curious, I am sure the answer is yes, but did you also get a fecal float/smear done just to rule out anything other than the neuro issues?

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Neuro Damaged Suggie Needs to Gain Weight! [Re: TiPu] #1377514
09/07/14 09:57 PM
09/07/14 09:57 PM
NY
T
TiPu Offline OP
Out of Pouch
TiPu  Offline OP
Out of Pouch
T

NY
Hi Srlb,

Yes, we did a fecal both this year and last year and nothing was found. An x-Ray was done last year and nothing was found. My vet has a feeling that there is some minor swelling that is pinching some nerves, hence the antiinflammatory meloxicam. Last year it did work, and this year it seems to be helping again, but the feeding issue appears to be hampering her progress this time around. I have seen her eat, and I have seen her drink, and she certainly has the determination to do the best she can.

I am going to try the hospital cage for a little bit to see how she does with that. Peggy, I will also be sending you a PM for your vets information, it would be nice to have another resource who may be able to shed some light on her troubles. My vet has. Taken a particular interest in Zoey being she is the first case with these types of symptoms and I am confident she would appreciate someone else she can talk to about her.

Thank you for your feedback so far everyone!

Last edited by TiPu; 09/07/14 10:12 PM.

Re: Neuro Damaged Suggie Needs to Gain Weight! [Re: Feather] #1377516
09/07/14 10:24 PM
09/07/14 10:24 PM
u.s.a.
the gliders angel Offline
Glider Addict
the gliders angel  Offline
Glider Addict

u.s.a.
I have a glider that has neuro damage for the past 5 yrs she was dead and came back to life she was deathly sick forfed for a month that was 5 yrs ago I have her since a baby she is almost 10 yrs now still looks like she stares into space and sometimes puts her head too far in her water dish but is my most active happy glider not showing her age as time goes on my girl got better but still has the damage and its obvious but gets around very well

Re: Neuro Damaged Suggie Needs to Gain Weight! [Re: TiPu] #1377518
09/07/14 10:33 PM
09/07/14 10:33 PM
NY
T
TiPu Offline OP
Out of Pouch
TiPu  Offline OP
Out of Pouch
T

NY
Hi Angel,

I'm happy to hear your little suggie has managed to live such a long life despite its troubles. Zoey is pretty much just a normal suggie with the exception of her ability to move around normally like the other girls. She is very playful and engaging every night and loves her treats when they come around! She tries to hop onto me when I open the cage, but has difficulty controlling her hands to grab and let go at the right times. It may be a sign of her condition progressing as she ages, but I am hopeful I can work with my vet and other resources to ensure Zoey's life is comfortable and long lasting smile.

Re: Neuro Damaged Suggie Needs to Gain Weight! [Re: TiPu] #1377948
09/14/14 03:13 PM
09/14/14 03:13 PM
NY
T
TiPu Offline OP
Out of Pouch
TiPu  Offline OP
Out of Pouch
T

NY
Update:

Hey all,

I just wanted to give an update on how Zoey is doing. After feeding her separately for the past week now, she has notably gained some weight back and is more confident in her movements. She actually was climbing up the cage walls again, though awkawrdly, and was able to crawl into some of the hammocks. She made an attempted jump for me when I had mealies out, but had difficulty controlling her landing. She's making slow progress and I am sure she will be just fine smile. Thank you all for your recommendations!

Re: Neuro Damaged Suggie Needs to Gain Weight! [Re: TiPu] #1377949
09/14/14 05:02 PM
09/14/14 05:02 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
So glad to hear there is some improvement! Hoping she continues to get better! smile

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Neuro Damaged Suggie Needs to Gain Weight! [Re: GliderNursery] #1377990
09/15/14 03:05 AM
09/15/14 03:05 AM
u.s.a.
the gliders angel Offline
Glider Addict
the gliders angel  Offline
Glider Addict

u.s.a.
my girl took a very long time to improve now 5 yrs later she is better than ever it could take yrs for your baby to learn to use her hands better mine is still not 100 percent but gets around more than the younger ones

Re: Neuro Damaged Suggie Needs to Gain Weight! [Re: TiPu] #1378000
09/15/14 08:28 AM
09/15/14 08:28 AM
Albany, New York
Typhoonkitty Offline
Glider Lover
Typhoonkitty  Offline
Glider Lover

Albany, New York
Oh, she looks very sweet. I hope she progresses well.

"There are no happy endings because nothing ends."

Mom/Slave to three kitties:
Hemitite, Miki, and Shade

And two gliders:
Jasper and Kiki

Over the Rainbow: Buster (12/16/14)
Re: Neuro Damaged Suggie Needs to Gain Weight! [Re: TiPu] #1378063
09/15/14 09:34 PM
09/15/14 09:34 PM
roseville, mi
H
hwh4ev Offline
Glider Addict
hwh4ev  Offline
Glider Addict
H

roseville, mi
sending prayers that your zoey continues to get better with time. zoey is lucky to have such a great mama.

regards,
nancy in roseville (formerly in detroit)

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 430 guests, and 79 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,581 TEXAS
679,079 OHIO
487,162 OKLAHOMA
432,164 UTAH
321,691 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024