Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
(Toxic cage thread) Update on recall -PART FOUR #1139099
07/02/11 01:15 PM
07/02/11 01:15 PM
South Africa
G
Gizmogirl Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Gizmogirl  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
G

South Africa

Last edited by sugarlope; 06/19/13 03:35 PM. Reason: changed title

Casper & Liezl
:grey:Gizzy, Boesman, Muchu, Kiamon, Sky & Boog:grey:
A glider's eyes have the power to speak a great language

RIP Sugar 2009 & Kaida 2013
Re: Update on cages and recall -PART THREE [Re: Gizmogirl] #1139109
07/02/11 01:49 PM
07/02/11 01:49 PM
Washington D.C. Metro Area
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Quote:
We received our replacement cage on June 30. We cleaned it up good and let it dry over night before putting it together. On July 1 we received an email telling us not to put the cage together because some of the panels may not be properly coated. The email stated a new replacement, replacement cage was being shipped out on July 1 and instructions to place the original PVC cage and the new replacement cage in the box the replacement cage came in and return via Fed X with return label provided and we would receive a tracking number for the new replacement, replacement cage later that day. Later on July 1 we received a phone call from Martins telling us of the panel situation and for us not to put the replacement cage together until we looked it over good to make sure we had none of the bad panels and if we did have bad panels to contact them and they would ship the new replacement, replacement cage out on July 5.

Our story began in March when both of our gliders were affected by the PVC cage. One (Taz) died after a trip to the emergency vet. The other (Rocky) started showing the same signs the next day and was seen by our regular vet. Rocky was placed in a hospital cage so we could better monitor his progress while we administered the meds. When Rocky began to show improvement he was returned to the PVC cage. In May we decided to replace Taz and found another young male (Oscar). During the introductions it looked like Rocky was not going to let Oscar stay with him so we decided to buy another cage from Martins just in case. When we attempted to order the new cage it was shown as 'out of stock'. We sent a message to Martins inquiring when they would have them back in stock. The next day we got the response about the issue with the cages and to remove them from the cage if they began to show the signs. By the time we returned home from work Rocky was showing the signs again. We returned him to the hospital cage and started the meds again. Unfortunately for us all our vet knew was that a virus had affected the east coast glider community and that only 50% were surviving (this was in March 2011) the meds we received were anti-inflammatory and calcium supplements to be given orally twice daily for 5 days only.

We purchased a flight cage from a local pet store where Oscar stayed until Rocky started feeling better. When we restarted introductions Oscar was the aggressor so Rocky was returned to the hospital cage. We are afraid that Oscar senses something is wrong with Rocky and wants nothing to do with him.

With the new replacement cage not having any bad panels we put it together and will attempt reintroductions again in the new cage.

Our $300.00 glider investment has turned into well over $1,000.00 with the purchase of additional gliders (Taz and Oscar) and cages. Our vet bills alone have been over $750.00. Emotional stress from the death of Taz and the near death of Rocky is immeasurable.

We know we are not alone in this saga and that many have suffered, both glider and human. We feel that Martins should have notified us, as soon as they pulled the cages from sale inventory, of concern for the health of some gliders. This would not have saved Taz but could have prevented a relapse for Rocky.

Has Martins admitted partial responsibility with the free replacement of the PCV coated cages they sell? Can we absorb the needless expense we've incurred? Is it right to ask us to? I know the glider community is not a 'rich' community and we struggle to give our gliders the best we can. For us to be exposed to these needless expenses hurts.

Thank you for reading our ramblings, once we got started our feelings took over.

Bob and Glenda...first, let me say I'm so sorry for your loss of Taz and the ongoing issues you've had with Rocky. hug2

As for Martin's...it's not a matter of them claiming responsibility because they do not manufacture the PVC coated wire that was affected. This is a problem with the manufacturers and it's on them, not the companies that distribute the cages. Yes, they could have handled things differently, I agree wholeheartedly with you on that and many of us wish things had been put to the forefront quicker than it happened. frown We can talk till we're blue in the face about what could have or should have been done. I wish we could turn back time and I hate that gliders lives were lost in all of this. But now we have to move forward and try to ensure that this doesn't happen to others and give them as much information as we can.

Good luck with your introductions and more importantly, the healing of your hearts.

Re: Update on cages and recall -PART THREE [Re: Gizmogirl] #1139110
07/02/11 02:03 PM
07/02/11 02:03 PM
Meridian, ID
fox0r Offline
Glider Guardian
fox0r  Offline
Glider Guardian

Meridian, ID
I think if someone were to prove that it was the cage, that Martin's would be responsible, as they distribute them. I have a girlfriend that is a lawyer, I'll ask her and see what she says.

It prolly varies from state to state, though, but it can't hurt to find something out.

-Jen

Sugar Mountain - Sugar gliders in Idaho!
Re: Update on cages and recall -PART THREE [Re: Gizmogirl] #1139119
07/02/11 02:53 PM
07/02/11 02:53 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Quote:
I think if someone were to prove that it was the cage, that Martin's would be responsible, as they distribute them.

Nope Jen, Martins can not be held responsible. They just sell the cages, they do not produce the wire itself.

Just as when I owned my store and there was that large Dogfood recall, I sold food, but I was not responsible if any dogs got sick just because someone bought a bag from me.

The only way they can be held liable for such actions, is if you can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt they sold these cages with malicious intent. Which we know nobody would do.

In all honesty, cages do not even *have* to be replaced by them, what Martins and (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets are doing is actually above and beyond what has to be done. They could have just said, well, sorry, we didnt make the cages we just sell them, you will have to go after the manufacturing company that makes the wire to return your money.

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Update on cages and recall -PART THREE [Re: Gizmogirl] #1139124
07/02/11 03:06 PM
07/02/11 03:06 PM

M
Megs
Unregistered
Megs
Unregistered
M

Quote:
Has Martins admitted partial responsibility with the free replacement of the PCV coated cages they sell? Can we absorb the needless expense we've incurred? Is it right to ask us to? I know the glider community is not a 'rich' community and we struggle to give our gliders the best we can. For us to be exposed to these needless expenses hurts.

I do not see how (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets or Martin's are responsible for a product they sell, not make.
When cribs sold at toys R Us and Walmart killed babies, these stores were not held accountable, the manufacturers were.
I believe we need to hold the manufacturers accountable, not the distributors, who've done all they can to fix the issue as to the best of their ability. It's no more they're fault than it is those who used the cages.

Re: Update on cages and recall -PART THREE [Re: ] #1139142
07/02/11 03:50 PM
07/02/11 03:50 PM

C
Crystalg820
Unregistered
Crystalg820
Unregistered
C

Well said, I completely agree. The manufacturer is responsible and the one that should be held accountable. the companies that sell these cages are as much a victim in this as we are!

Re: Update on cages and recall -PART FOUR [Re: Gizmogirl] #1139156
07/02/11 04:38 PM
07/02/11 04:38 PM
North Little Rock, AR
Rocky_D Offline
In Pouch
Rocky_D  Offline
In Pouch

North Little Rock, AR
We do blame the manufacturer, Martins. Our cage was manufactured by Martins Cages. Had we purchased wire and made our own cage, we may possibly agree. That is not the case. Martins Cages is the manufacture.

See if this fits the situation: You purchase a new Automobile from a dealer and it turns out that a faulty power steering hose may have been used. The manufacturer of the automobile did not manufacture the hose, yet they do the recall once they discover the issue. Automobile manufacturers have been held liable for the use of faulty parts that resulted in deaths. It is the responsibility of the automobile manufacturer to ensure the parts it uses on its automobiles are safe and free of defect.

Martins may not have manufactured the wire but they did manufacture the cages using the faulty wire. We contend that it is Martins responsibility to ensure the products they use to make their advertised 'safe' cages is, just that, safe. Quoted from Martins website: '...create the most suitable cages for all kinds of pets.' '...has devoted his life to ever- improving the dwellings of all kinds of pets.' '...each pet’s comfort and safety in mind.' This is what led us to purchase their cages.

We will forever hold Martins responsible for the death of, and all fees associated with, Taz and the vet bills for both him and Rocky and noone will ever change that. Will we ever recoup our losses? Probably not.

Bob n Glenda

:grey: Rocky D

:rbridge: Taz
Re: Update on cages and recall -PART FOUR [Re: Gizmogirl] #1139200
07/02/11 07:32 PM
07/02/11 07:32 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

I have to agree that Martin's is the manufacture of the cages they sell.

Even though they don't manufacture the wire they use to make the cages, they are still responsible for the cages they do make and sell.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Update on cages and recall -PART FOUR [Re: Gizmogirl] #1139208
07/02/11 07:59 PM
07/02/11 07:59 PM
Lake Worth,FL
Hershey_Kisses11 Offline
Out of Pouch
Hershey_Kisses11  Offline
Out of Pouch

Lake Worth,FL
I got my new cage 2 days ago and they had to order them from the manufacture. All there cages are order from the manufacture they do not make them in there store they are shipped to them and then they ship them to us. How would you propose they be held responsible?

Hershey ~ Kisses
4/8/11 ~ 6/27/11
Re: Update on cages and recall -PART FOUR [Re: Gizmogirl] #1139250
07/02/11 11:23 PM
07/02/11 11:23 PM
Meridian, ID
fox0r Offline
Glider Guardian
fox0r  Offline
Glider Guardian

Meridian, ID
This is what she said:

This could vary from state to state, and products liability is definitely not my specialty, but my understanding is that it would depend on where the mistake was made and what kind of action you bring. If there was a design defect, then the manufacturer is the more obvious culprit. But if there's a suit based on breach of warranty, and the warranty is through the distributer, that's a different can of worms. Historically, there was a bunch of [censored] about a lack of "privity" between the manufacturer and the end buyer barring legal action that has ultimately become defunct, but based on that I believe distributers could be sued as well (although they might then have a cause of action themselves against the manufacturers). That was a really long and convoluted way of saying, it depends.

-Jen

Sugar Mountain - Sugar gliders in Idaho!
Re: Update on cages and recall -PART FOUR [Re: Gizmogirl] #1139304
07/03/11 02:22 AM
07/03/11 02:22 AM

M
Megs
Unregistered
Megs
Unregistered
M

That's the thing though. Martin's is not the manufacturer of the product, the chemical, that's causing the problems. They're the distributor. If they make a cage, they are the manufacturer of the cage. But if they did not make the coating, those panels, than they are the distributor of those items, not the manufacturer.

They're eating the cost of the items supplied to them, and they are not at fault for the toxin, their distributors are.

Re: Update on cages and recall -PART FOUR [Re: Gizmogirl] #1139659
07/03/11 07:59 PM
07/03/11 07:59 PM
North Little Rock, AR
Rocky_D Offline
In Pouch
Rocky_D  Offline
In Pouch

North Little Rock, AR
We kinda think they are the cage manufacturer as is evdent by the signature on all the e-mails we have received.

"Dee Carter
Martin's Cages, Inc.
Manufacturer of Quality Pet Cages
http://www.martinscages.com"

It appears that Martins thinks they are the manufacturer also.

Bob n Glenda

Re: Update on cages and recall -PART FOUR [Re: ] #1139779
07/04/11 02:14 AM
07/04/11 02:14 AM

M
Megs
Unregistered
Megs
Unregistered
M

I will highlight. They may be the manufacturer of the cage, but this does not mean they are the manufacturer of CHEMICAL or the panels.

Originally Posted By: Megs
That's the thing though. Martin's is not the manufacturer of the product, the chemical, that's causing the problems. They're the distributor. If they make a cage, they are the manufacturer of the cage. But if they did not make the coating, those panels, than they are the distributor of those items, not the manufacturer.

They're eating the cost of the items supplied to them, and they are not at fault for the toxin, their distributors are.

Re: Update on cages and recall -PART FOUR [Re: Gizmogirl] #1139839
07/04/11 10:20 AM
07/04/11 10:20 AM
North Little Rock, AR
Rocky_D Offline
In Pouch
Rocky_D  Offline
In Pouch

North Little Rock, AR
It is the responsibility of the manufacturer to make sure the componets they use during the manufacturing process are safe. We did not buy any CHEMICALs or panels, we bought a manufactured pet cage.

Bob n Glenda

Re: Update on cages and recall -PART FOUR [Re: Gizmogirl] #1139928
07/04/11 03:13 PM
07/04/11 03:13 PM

M
Megs
Unregistered
Megs
Unregistered
M

Ok lets put it this way.

I make toys. Soon I will start selling them, cause they're unique and fun.

I use the same exact materials as the other vendors here, some of which have been around for quite a while.

Same as this... Illnesses are occurring, some deaths, and we find that once the toys are taken away, the gliders are fine. Come to learn it's the beads. Upon further investigation, we learn that the manufacturer of these beads just recently started using a new chemical, and never told a soul. Maybe they didn't find it necessary. Who knows.

Now, WalMart/WalGreen's/Dollar Tree are distributors of these beads.

Us vendors are the manufacturers of the toys. So should we be held financially accountable? I don't think so. We didn't make the beads. We used them to make the toys.

Unless Martin's made the coating causing the issues with their cages and (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets's cages, than they are just as innocent. They made the cages, not the coating. It's the coating on the cages they made that has caused the issues.

This isn't a sharp edge or incorrect spacing, this is the coating, which they didn't create. I don't see how this is their fault.

Re: Update on cages and recall -PART FOUR [Re: Gizmogirl] #1140038
07/04/11 09:56 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

As a vendor, we would have a responsibility to our customers. We would also then have an action against the distributors and manufactures of those beads.

We have a responsibility to insure our products are safe and since Martins own website states they sell only animal safe cages, they have made themselves liable for those products and what those products are made from.

But they also have cause against the manufacture/supplier of the wire they use to make those cages.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Update on cages and recall -PART FOUR [Re: Gizmogirl] #1140039
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
I do believe that they have some accountability in this situation. Their denying any problems kept gliders in bad cages longer than they should have been.

It will be hard to prove it in court without testing that proves the coating was the problem.

I believe that if a lawsuit is brought they would list Martins et al, thereby including Martins and their suppliers. If the lawsuit is won it would be up to Martins to bring a suit against their suppliers.

The bottom line is without the piece of paper with lab results saying that the coating was bad and the reason gliders were getting sick it will be a long expensive road to go after Martins and their suppliers.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Update on cages and recall -PART FOUR [Re: Gizmogirl] #1140043
07/04/11 10:14 PM
07/04/11 10:14 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
The way the American legal system works, Martin's and Pocket Pets would definitely be at least partially responsible.

Which is why I don't believe we'll ever see that piece of paper, Feather.

The fox is guarding the hens in this case. The people who are controlling the testing are the same people who could be sued for liability.

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: Update on cages and recall -PART FOUR [Re: Gizmogirl] #1140133
07/05/11 03:09 AM
07/05/11 03:09 AM

M
Megs
Unregistered
Megs
Unregistered
M

Yes it is their liability... To an extent.

Any person or group of people willing to go into business, no matter how large, take on the responsibility. But because they didn't create every last 'fiber' of the cage, when a third party, Company X, changes how they create something but do not make it known, EVER, Company X is completely responsible. Martin's and (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets are not in the business of fortune telling, they are not Ms. Cleo, they were never made aware there were changes in the coating. How would they know?

I've never heard of companies or private vendors contacting business they get their supplies from for each new order asking if changes were made between their last order and their new order. Is that what they should do to cover themselves?

I agree, Martin's waited too long. Absolutely, they did!
But I think too many people would rather place blame on Martin's and (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets when the blame moreso belongs on Company's X's shoulders.

And I'm with you Alden, the companies controlling the testing are also the very companies who could be sued; fox guarding the hens.

Re: Update on cages and recall -PART FOUR [Re: Gizmogirl] #1140179
07/05/11 08:27 AM
07/05/11 08:27 AM
Mims, Florida, USA
hushpuppy Offline
Glider Slave
hushpuppy  Offline
Glider Slave

Mims, Florida, USA
As far as I know we still live in America. One of the great things about this country is that you can sue anyone if you feel like you have been damaged. This stuff about you “can't” sue them is nonsense.

The manufacturer definitely holds a responsibility, but the distributor might also if they were negligent in correcting or informing about the problem. The only way to know if they were negligent would be to talk to an attorney and have them subpoena the company records. So you could actually sue all of the companies involved in one law suit and let the court determine how much each company was responsible. An attorney could also get their hands on exactly who the manufacturer was and what the test results proved.

If you win such a suit, the companies could be held responsible for replacement costs of the pets, replacement of the cages, medical bills, court costs, your legal fees and maybe punitive damages if the company was severely negligent.

My thinking is that you guys need to stop looking for answers on the forums and get together and request a free consultation from a couple of different attorneys. You also need to make sure that those cages are kept, not sent back or thrown away. And you need to document every thing. Write it down while it is still fresh in your minds and if you took pictures or video be sure that you keep them.

In addition to that you should contact federal and state consumer protection agencies. These are government organizations that are there to protect you the consumer from being harmed by companies.

Have any of you thought to contact other groups to find out if Sugar Gliders are the only animal involved?

BTW, I've heard some say that powder coated cages could not be toxic. That is not true. Anything could be toxic if the wrong ingredient is added to the mix.

Anita Rae
StealthWheels, MagnumWheels and more at Atticworx

Play with us on Facebook

Re: Update on cages and recall -PART FOUR [Re: Gizmogirl] #1140285
07/05/11 01:08 PM
07/05/11 01:08 PM
Iowa
E
eshaw Offline
Glider Lover
eshaw  Offline
Glider Lover
E

Iowa
I'm relatively sure that the way it works is Martins and (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets would and could be considered plaintiffs in a class action suit. If you stop and think about it why in the world would (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets decide to finally do the right thing for once when up to this point they've acted like they were just in it for the money? That's because they are in if for the money, same as Martin when it comes to selling cages. If you are a distributor of a defective product you assume some liability for said product because you propogate and dessiminate the product.

Has anyone passed the word along to any other sites that might have used these cages? I don't mean glider sites, I mean ANY site where a small animal is kept caged? If there is a nuerological condition due to a chemical component you can rest assured that other critters are also at risk.

Has anyone explored the possibility that the owner of these cages may also be being exposed to a nuerological agent? YOU are also exposed. Just because you aren't expressing any symptoms doesn't mean you aren't going to later. It could be that due to size the threshholds are different but none-the-less, you are a victim also.

Last edited by eshaw; 07/05/11 01:26 PM.
Re: Update on cages and recall -PART FOUR [Re: Gizmogirl] #1141096
07/06/11 07:59 PM
07/06/11 07:59 PM
Hudson Valley, NY
krysKritters Offline
Glider Addict
krysKritters  Offline
Glider Addict

Hudson Valley, NY
I want to post a community announcment on my fb and webpage and I am having trouble locating important details... I use reptariums so I hadn't paid attention to specific details before. (Sorry)

Can someone please point out symptoms to look for and other important details?

Thank you and I am sorry for those who have lost thier gliders. hug2

Krys DeRosa
Godfather of the NY Glider Mafia

KrysKritters.comcloud9

A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world.
Re: Update on cages and recall -PART FOUR [Re: Gizmogirl] #1141132
07/06/11 09:04 PM
07/06/11 09:04 PM
Mississippi
M
Midien Offline
Joey Member
Midien  Offline
Joey Member
M

Mississippi
Although I'm sure it's little more than a curious observation at this point, I thought I'd post in the event anyone found it at least interesting.

I'd broken down and packed up my Martin's cage into the little storage closet outside on my apartment's porch a couple weeks ago, LONG after I took Nox out of it, and it's been locked in there since then.

This evening was beautiful and rainy, so I decided to open up the storage closet and get my folding chair out so I could sit outside on the porch and do my programming homework....

... When I opened the door to the storage closet, the smell surprised me. Now, I got this cage in late April, mind you. The WHOLE CLOSET smelled so strongly of PVC... even after I closed the door and locked it up again, I could still smell it by the door. I would have thought that the smell would have eased off by now, but nope. O.o Not one bit. Now my folding chair smells like PVC. O.o

I'm so glad I took Nox out of there when I did. x.x

~Laura~

<3 :grey: Nox (Approx. OOP 02/15/2011) and Luna :grey: <3
and a puppy - Tucker (Approx. birth 05/2007) <3
Re: Update on cages and recall -PART FOUR [Re: Gizmogirl] #1141134
07/06/11 09:08 PM
07/06/11 09:08 PM
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

A few weeks ago, our AC compressor died and we lost our AC for a couple of days and the house became quite humid. As soon as that humidity/heat began, there was a horribly noxious odor in the house and we couldn't figure out what on earth it was. We tried air fresheners, we wondered if something died in the walls, we even cleaned out our drains. The smell persisted. Long story short...in the hallway in the basement was ONE panel of our old PVC cage. It'd been there for some time but the basement is VERY dry and cool. I took it outside, the smell instantly (within seconds) dissipated and haven't smelled it since. Coincidence? I think not.

Re: Update on cages and recall -PART FOUR [Re: Gizmogirl] #1141249
07/07/11 12:19 AM
07/07/11 12:19 AM
Hudson Valley, NY
krysKritters Offline
Glider Addict
krysKritters  Offline
Glider Addict

Hudson Valley, NY
What signs should people be on the look out for in thier gliders?

What date range where the "defective" cages sold?

WHAT should we be warning people to look for?

I help educate many gliders owners that do not come to the boards and I would really like to help get the word out around here! Many of them have gliders from (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets. frown I need to know what info to pass along though.

Krys DeRosa

KrysKritters.comcloud9

A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world.
Re: Update on cages and recall -PART FOUR [Re: krysKritters] #1141309
07/07/11 01:20 AM
07/07/11 01:20 AM
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Originally Posted By: krysKritters
What signs should people be on the look out for in thier gliders?

Tremors and other signs that often mimic HLP are the most common.

What date range where the "defective" cages sold?

Dating back to October, 2010.

WHAT should we be warning people to look for?

Any signs in their glider, such as tremors, what they might think is HLP, seizures, lethargy

I help educate many gliders owners that do not come to the boards and I would really like to help get the word out around here! Many of them have gliders from (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets. frown I need to know what info to pass along though.

(PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets tried their hardest to be in touch with every person they sold cages to, if they had contact information. That's not to say that some weren't contacted or missed, but I know they did a decent job of getting in touch with those that had affected cages.

If you have other questions...you can contact Peggy, as she has been a main point of contact through this ordeal.

Re: Update on cages and recall -PART FOUR [Re: Gizmogirl] #1141386
07/07/11 08:19 AM
07/07/11 08:19 AM
Hudson Valley, NY
krysKritters Offline
Glider Addict
krysKritters  Offline
Glider Addict

Hudson Valley, NY
Thank you so much! I wanted to be sure I could pass on accurate information. smile

Krys DeRosa

KrysKritters.comcloud9

Re: Update on cages and recall -PART FOUR [Re: Midien] #1141761
07/08/11 12:52 AM
07/08/11 12:52 AM

C
Crystalg820
Unregistered
Crystalg820
Unregistered
C

Yup, mine is on my porch...has been since the beginning of June. I walked out on my porch after getting rain and I could smell the pvc coating as soon as I opened the door. And my porch IS NOT enclosed. My little one at this point is still very wobbly when walking and I really dont think her hind legs are going to get any better. She seems to be adapting but I hate that she struggles with walking, climbing and gliding frown sadly I haven't seen improvement in that respect in a few weeks. On the upside she is absolutely feeling better and is working very hard on figuring out how she can keep up with her sister....and she is begginig to play again. Couldn't imagine losing either one of them.

Re: Update on cages and recall -PART FOUR [Re: Gizmogirl] #1141762
07/08/11 01:05 AM
07/08/11 01:05 AM
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

So sorry. But glad she's adapting. You may want to consider contacting Val ( Jackie_Chans_Mom) for some ideas on how to make her cage a good and safe place, along with any other ideas the two of you may bounce off one another. She has good experience with this!

Re: Update on cages and recall -PART FOUR [Re: ] #1142609
07/09/11 03:43 PM
07/09/11 03:43 PM
Newport News, Virginia
D
DianeR Offline
Joey Member
DianeR  Offline
Joey Member
D

Newport News, Virginia
Originally Posted By: Crystalg820
Yup, mine is on my porch...has been since the beginning of June. I walked out on my porch after getting rain and I could smell the pvc coating as soon as I opened the door. And my porch IS NOT enclosed. My little one at this point is still very wobbly when walking and I really dont think her hind legs are going to get any better. She seems to be adapting but I hate that she struggles with walking, climbing and gliding frown sadly I haven't seen improvement in that respect in a few weeks. On the upside she is absolutely feeling better and is working very hard on figuring out how she can keep up with her sister....and she is begginig to play again. Couldn't imagine losing either one of them.

I got a notice some time ago that the new protocol for treating the sugar gliders affected by the pvc cages was Calcium EDTA and B12 shots. Has your female gotten these? If not it could possibly help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 393 guests, and 110 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,597 TEXAS
679,084 OHIO
487,175 OKLAHOMA
432,184 UTAH
321,698 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024