Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
(Toxic cage thread) Update on Cages and Recall #1116702
05/20/11 09:35 AM
05/20/11 09:35 AM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline OP
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas

I would like to take this time to let everyone know where things are standing right now in the current research on the cage issues.

As many of you know there are MANY folks affected by this. Those who have bought from personal breeders, and those that have bought gliders from (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets The health issues seemed to have started around the first of the year, possibly a bit sooner, and seem to be affecting the Northeast Coast for the most part. There have been a couple cases in the Midwest area as well.

I have been working with many of the owners of these gliders, along with veterinarians that are working with these animals, and have either suggested where to have cage materials sent out for testing or either have sent out wire themselves to be tested. Along with the cage wire tests, there have also been many Necropsies and Histopaths and even a CT completed. Although there are peripheral signs of toxins, they are far from conclusive at this point, and unless you are aware of the exact toxin to test for, we may never know the actual cause of this problem.

If there is a silver lining here, it's that many of the gliders are recovering within a week or so once taken out of the cages and some have even started recovering when people take the gliders out of the cages, scrub them down (the cages of course) a few times, rinse well and dry (out in the sun is preferred). The main thing to do is to be sure you are giving your gliders as much fluids as possible to help *flush* whatever this is out of their system (on top of any medications the vets prescribe).

Currently, not only have I been working with private owners going through this and private breeders, but I have also been in contact with Pocket Pets when I saw the first post from one of their customers. Honestly, it was one of my fears when I first heard about all this, and I thought it might be an issue with the cages. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised when they voluntarily gave me access to the intense testing of cages that they've been doing, and the Necropsies and Histopaths they have had done so far. To be clear, I did not take their "word" for it. I verified everything independently, and guys, I have to tell you it was/is impressive how much they are putting in to try and solve this - even when a lot of these cases are not their own clients. Most of the vets working on these cases are actually in communication with one another.

In addition to trying to track down the cause, I was even more encouraged to learn that Pocket Pets is the first group to step up and take action to try and actually help all these gliders. For the last few days they have been implementing a plan to send out mass amounts of new cages (even though the vets/scientists are telling them to wait until they have hard, scientific proof it's the cages), and when I talked to Adam there today, he was extremely frustrated and told me they are "fed up waiting on science to catch up with this". He then informed me that they were pulling the trigger this morning and would start sending out new cages (tested and safe) today. As of just a few minutes ago, I have verified that Pocket Pets has in fact initiated a mass replacement program by sending out a letter to those believed to have gotten cages made with these wires. They are replacing cages on an urgency basis as fast as they can possibly be made - and their manufacturer has already been working round the clock for the past 72 hours testing wire and beginning to build new cages using a wire source that is proven to be safe. They have been in contact and are working with those that have gotten gliders from them that have died or are affected by the current situation. They have also assured me that once the dust settles they will replace any of their gliders who happen to pass over from this situation.

Last I heard when Martins Cage co. was contacted, they stated their cages had been tested and they were "fine". REALLY?.... So it sounded like they were not going to take any action as of just yet. This may change now that the evidence is mounting against them, but I can only hope that everyone else who has accidentally sold this wire or cages that are affected will follow the recall procedure that Pocket Pets voluntarily started just to be on the safe side and keep as many sugar gliders safe as possible. Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting these guys up for sainthood, but as far as I know, this is the first concrete action I've seen anyone take to replace cages.

If any more cases come up, I am in hopes that folks will contact me so I can send the information over to the people that are trying to figure this out and maybe, just maybe, we will be able to find out what the problem is. Once again, the ONLY thing ALL of these gliders have in common is the cage wire being used. At this point nobody knows what is affecting the cages - other than that there have been multiple tests by independent sources for lead - and all those tests indicate that lead is not the problem.

Posted here @ the request of Peggy Brewer

Last edited by sugarlope; 10/09/11 05:27 PM. Reason: changed title

»-(¯`v´¯)-»MO MONEY!»-(¯`v´¯)-»
kids Chance, Dylan, John, & Kayla
Skittles, Snupi, Snuki, Lucy, Shanu, Caspian, Ivy, Kalysta, Kaliya, Santee, Cheyenne, Apache, Comanche, Twirpy, Meribelle, Santeria, Shyamalan, Sebastian, Zoey, Naira & Katsu
www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: Update on Cages and Recall - PART ONE [Re: Trigger] #1116703
05/20/11 09:41 AM
05/20/11 09:41 AM
Missouri
Mastiff_Mama Offline
Glider Guardian
Mastiff_Mama  Offline
Glider Guardian

Missouri
Where is the original post on this, I had no clue!

-Amber Nicole
Mama to 2 Mastiffs... Sonja & Angel
and
A Slave To Many... :grey: :wfb: :leu: :rtmo:
A loving wife to Chris

***Sprinkled With Sugar Paradise***
http://swsp.weebly.com
Re: Update on Cages and Recall - PART ONE [Re: Trigger] #1116716
05/20/11 10:14 AM
05/20/11 10:14 AM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline OP
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
The original is on LGG and I was asked by Peggy to post here.

Skittles, Snupi, Snuki, Lucy, Shanu, Caspian, Ivy, Kalysta, Kaliya, Santee, Cheyenne, Apache, Comanche, Twirpy, Meribelle, Santeria, Shyamalan, Sebastian, Zoey, Naira & Katsu
www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: Update on Cages and Recall - PART ONE [Re: Trigger] #1116719
05/20/11 10:19 AM
05/20/11 10:19 AM

C
caliejean86
Unregistered
caliejean86
Unregistered
C

(PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets was not the first group to start testing. Testing was started back in February when this happened to gliders in CT.

Re: Update on Cages and Recall - PART ONE [Re: Trigger] #1116725
05/20/11 10:30 AM
05/20/11 10:30 AM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline OP
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
Tammy, no one is stating that PP was the first to start testing, it is stated only that they are the first to start a recall on cages.

www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: Update on Cages and Recall - PART ONE [Re: Trigger] #1116731
05/20/11 10:46 AM
05/20/11 10:46 AM

C
caliejean86
Unregistered
caliejean86
Unregistered
C

Martins cages to my knowledge doesnt think anything is wrong with his so they havent done a recall.

Re: Update on Cages and Recall - PART ONE [Re: Trigger] #1116735
05/20/11 10:54 AM
05/20/11 10:54 AM
Mississippi
M
Midien Offline
Joey Member
Midien  Offline
Joey Member
M

Mississippi
Quote:
If there is a silver lining here, it's that many of the gliders are recovering within a week or so once taken out of the cages and some have even started recovering when people take the gliders out of the cages, scrub them down (the cages of course) a few times, rinse well and dry (out in the sun is preferred).

Is there a particular cleaner or method that you would suggest for someone to try scrubbing their cage? Would Dawn and a scrub pad work well enough, or something else?

Edit: ^_^; I just have one of the Martin's cages, and thought to try to save it somehow if I could, but will be either building or finding a second cage in the meantime. Then again, even if I wash it, there's not really a way to be sure that it's safe, is there?

Last edited by Midien; 05/20/11 10:59 AM.

~Laura~

<3 :grey: Nox (Approx. OOP 02/15/2011) and Luna :grey: <3
and a puppy - Tucker (Approx. birth 05/2007) <3
Re: Update on Cages and Recall - PART ONE [Re: Trigger] #1116736
05/20/11 10:56 AM
05/20/11 10:56 AM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline OP
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
I will explain this as clearly as possible...

IF you are a pocket pet customer who has one of the cages that is affected from Pocket Pets, Pocket Pets is doing their own personal recall on those cages.

To date NO other companies have owned up to any problem or taken and action to correct it.

www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: Update on Cages and Recall - PART ONE [Re: Trigger] #1116737
05/20/11 11:01 AM
05/20/11 11:01 AM

C
caliejean86
Unregistered
caliejean86
Unregistered
C

I had a martins cage and I washed it all the time and they were still affected. I have taken it down and storing it for evidence or testing. I wouldnt trust it.

Re: Update on Cages and Recall - PART ONE [Re: ] #1116741
05/20/11 11:15 AM
05/20/11 11:15 AM

S
SplinterBaker
Unregistered
SplinterBaker
Unregistered
S

You guys.. I AM a Pocket Pets customer, and They emailed me this morning about the cage replacement they are sending me one.

I need a cage though right now for another situation.. I have 2 brand new Babies arriving TOMORROW via plane from a breeder (i had no idea about this cage situation)

I was planning on using the PP cage because it's an extra now for my new babies for the Quarantine process. - NOW I'm not going to do this anymore, i'm going to throw out this cage, However I still NEED a cage until Pocket Pets mails me another replacement. Can I get one from Petsmart?
What do you guys think of this cage.?

i am NOT advertising.. please mods don't delete my post.. i just want to link this for Question purposes.. I really want to know people's opinions on this cage, because I think I need to go buy one before tomorrow. I can NOT wait until PP sends me another cage I need one right now..

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3402796&lmdn=Product+Type

Re: Update on Cages and Recall - PART ONE [Re: Trigger] #1116745
05/20/11 11:21 AM
05/20/11 11:21 AM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline OP
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
Splinter, for a short term situation you can get a large pop-up kennel from Walmart for about $20

http://www.walmart.com/ip/SportPet-Pop-Open-Kennel-Large-Cats-Dogs-Small-Animals/5192528

www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: Update on Cages and Recall - PART ONE [Re: Trigger] #1116746
05/20/11 11:23 AM
05/20/11 11:23 AM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline OP
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
Adding, the cage from Petsmart looks OK, but if you really just need something to hold you over till your new PP cage arrives the pop ups are what many of us use as regular travel cages for our gliders

www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: Update on Cages and Recall - PART ONE [Re: Trigger] #1116747
05/20/11 11:24 AM
05/20/11 11:24 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
SplinterBaker, it seems to be PVC coated cages that are affected right now.

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Update on Cages and Recall - PART ONE [Re: Trigger] #1116748
05/20/11 11:25 AM
05/20/11 11:25 AM

S
SplinterBaker
Unregistered
SplinterBaker
Unregistered
S

Thank you so Much Trigger!! I REALLY appreciate it..So this pop-up Kennel is safe?

So what do you guys think about all of this?

Should I trust the NEW cages that Pocket Pets is sending out to me? should I trust that those will be good and not hazardous?

Re: Update on Cages and Recall - PART ONE [Re: Trigger] #1116749
05/20/11 11:26 AM
05/20/11 11:26 AM

S
SplinterBaker
Unregistered
SplinterBaker
Unregistered
S

Originally Posted By: Trigger
Adding, the cage from Petsmart looks OK, but if you really just need something to hold you over till your new PP cage arrives the pop ups are what many of us use as regular travel cages for our gliders

I'm kind of worried about what PP is sending out to me as a replacement as well.. =/ These are 2 brand new babies arriving tomorrow.. and I don't want them to go through what splinter has gone through.. it's been a nightmare he almost died. =(

Re: Update on Cages and Recall - PART ONE [Re: Midien] #1116754
05/20/11 11:35 AM
05/20/11 11:35 AM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline OP
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
Originally Posted By: Midien
Quote:
If there is a silver lining here, it's that many of the gliders are recovering within a week or so once taken out of the cages and some have even started recovering when people take the gliders out of the cages, scrub them down (the cages of course) a few times, rinse well and dry (out in the sun is preferred).

Is there a particular cleaner or method that you would suggest for someone to try scrubbing their cage? Would Dawn and a scrub pad work well enough, or something else?

Edit: ^_^; I just have one of the Martin's cages, and thought to try to save it somehow if I could, but will be either building or finding a second cage in the meantime. Then again, even if I wash it, there's not really a way to be sure that it's safe, is there?

It has been recommended to use Dawn Dish liquid with SUPER hot water and SCRUB (with a scrub brush) and rinse with hot water as well. Do this a few times.

This is recommended by OSHA and veterinarians alike in many instances. Dawn Dish liquid is what OSHA recommends for clean up of oil on animals in an oil spill as well.

Please remember testing is still ongoing regarding these cages/wire, at this point the exact problem with them is still unknown so how to fix the problem is unknown as well.

www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: Update on Cages and Recall - PART ONE [Re: ] #1116762
05/20/11 11:44 AM
05/20/11 11:44 AM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline OP
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
Originally Posted By: SplinterBaker

I'm kind of worried about what PP is sending out to me as a replacement as well.. =/ These are 2 brand new babies arriving tomorrow.. and I don't want them to go through what splinter has gone through.. it's been a nightmare he almost died. =(

Pocket Pets has 2 distributers they use for their cages, 1 of them had the bad wire and therefore the problem with some cages in certain regions, the new cages they are sending out are from their other distibuter who is not using the bad wire.
Pocket Pets from a purely business standpoint would not send out replacement cages to the customers just to suffer the exact same problem all over again.

www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: Update on Cages and Recall - PART ONE [Re: Trigger] #1116768
05/20/11 11:56 AM
05/20/11 11:56 AM

S
SplinterBaker
Unregistered
SplinterBaker
Unregistered
S

Pocket Pets has 2 distributers they use for their cages, 1 of them had the bad wire and therefore the problem with some cages in certain regions, the new cages they are sending out are from their other distibuter who is not using the bad wire.
Pocket Pets from a purely business standpoint would not send out replacement cages to the customers just to suffer the exact same problem all over again.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Curious guys, Would a Gingi pop-up Tent work as a good temporary cage? I've already got one at home.

http://www.amazon.com/Genji-Sports-Self-...7344&sr=1-3

Re: Update on Cages and Recall - PART ONE [Re: Trigger] #1116769
05/20/11 11:58 AM
05/20/11 11:58 AM
South Africa
G
Gizmogirl Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Gizmogirl  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
G

South Africa
Yep, it would work fine, just make sure they are not chewers so you don't end up with escapees.

Casper & Liezl
:grey:Gizzy, Boesman, Muchu, Kiamon, Sky & Boog:grey:
A glider's eyes have the power to speak a great language

RIP Sugar 2009 & Kaida 2013
Re: Update on Cages and Recall - PART ONE [Re: Trigger] #1116771
05/20/11 12:02 PM
05/20/11 12:02 PM

N
Norpa
Unregistered
Norpa
Unregistered
N

Does someone have a picture of a martains cage? I want to double check when my cage gets here today it's not from them. And if It is, its a beautiful day I'll enlist a friend of mines help to scrub it down in her backyard lol.

Last edited by Norpa; 05/20/11 12:03 PM.
Re: Update on Cages and Recall - PART ONE [Re: ] #1116776
05/20/11 12:11 PM
05/20/11 12:11 PM

S
SplinterBaker
Unregistered
SplinterBaker
Unregistered
S

Originally Posted By: Norpa
Does someone have a picture of a martains cage? I want to double check when my cage gets here today it's not from them. And if It is, its a beautiful day I'll enlist a friend of mines help to scrub it down in her backyard lol.

I Believe this is the Pocket Pets cage Made my Martin's. This is the CAGE that I have, and that I got when I first purchased my glider. It's the starter cage.

Edit-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/computermilk/5740459886/in/photostream

Last edited by SplinterBaker; 05/20/11 12:14 PM.
Re: Update on Cages and Recall - PART ONE [Re: Trigger] #1116777
05/20/11 12:15 PM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline OP
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
Norpa, Martin's sells many different cages in different sizes and shapes. This wire is not only used by Martin's cages though. Some of the owners here in the community have built their own cages and had their gliders affected due to the use of the certain wire.

Here is a link to martin's so you can see the type cage
http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/sugar/

www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: Update on Cages and Recall - PART ONE [Re: ] #1116778

N
Norpa
Unregistered
Norpa
Unregistered
N

I Believe this is the Pocket Pets cage Made my Martin's. This is the CAGE that I have, and that I got when I first purchased my glider. It's the starter cage.

Edit- Sorry the Link didn't work. Let me re upload it.

Lol its okay my Fire Fox was like "NO! this site is forbidden you cannot look at it! The connection is unsecured! I will not allow you to step on digital foot in it!" thank you, I'm pretty sure its not martains but better to be safe than sorry! I want my new darlings to come home to a safe cage next saturday.

Re: Update on Cages and Recall - PART ONE [Re: Trigger] #1116779
05/20/11 12:18 PM
05/20/11 12:18 PM
Mississippi
M
Midien Offline
Joey Member
Midien  Offline
Joey Member
M

Mississippi
Short of scrubbing and having our cages tested somehow (which... I'd honestly feel like a horrible person for 'testing' it with a sugar glider's life... so I'm probably looking at a new cage until there's somewhere I can send a sample of wire or something, and we know what the deal is) are there any particular cages that are you guys' favorites to recommend as long-term replacements?

How do you feel about 'ebay cages'? I know Sun Coast and King's Cages are places that people on here trust to test their cages... are there any others on that list that you trust to give safe products?

I'll likely build a temporary/secondary pvc cage, but since I think I've found a future cagemate for Nox (YAAAY), I'll need to have two SAFE cages anyway at first, and having one of those be their permanent home is ideal.

~Laura~

<3 :grey: Nox (Approx. OOP 02/15/2011) and Luna :grey: <3
and a puppy - Tucker (Approx. birth 05/2007) <3
Re: Update on Cages and Recall - PART ONE [Re: ] #1116780
05/20/11 12:19 PM
05/20/11 12:19 PM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline OP
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas

Edit-

Please remember Pocket Pets does NOT use Martin's cages, but Martin's cages have been linked to ill gliders also. The issue we believe is the actual wire used for cage building, not just a specific cage company.

www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: Update on Cages and Recall - PART ONE [Re: Trigger] #1116781
05/20/11 12:22 PM

S
SplinterBaker
Unregistered
SplinterBaker
Unregistered
S

Edit-

Please remember Pocket Pets does NOT use Martin's cages, but Martin's cages have been linked to ill gliders also. The issue we believe is the actual wire used for cage building, not just a specific cage company.

Oh so is this cage that they give out not a martin's cage?

Re: Update on Cages and Recall - PART ONE [Re: ] #1116782
Iowa
I
IowaGlider Offline
In Pouch
IowaGlider  Offline
In Pouch
I

Iowa
Maybe I'm the only one thinking this, but from what I've gathered, there is no clear answer or determination on the cause of the glider illness (besides probably the cage wire). But what exactly is "safe" about the new cages that Pocket Pets is sending out if there is no known reason for what is wrong in the first place?

Re: Update on Cages and Recall - PART ONE [Re: Trigger] #1116783
05/20/11 12:25 PM
05/20/11 12:25 PM

N
Norpa
Unregistered
Norpa
Unregistered
N

Thank you Trigger and Splinter. I am relieved to say the wire on my cage looks nothing like either of those. I understand that its not just Martins cages effected but the wire. The only reason I asked about that specific cage was so I could get a look at the wire itself and determine if I needed to clean my cage really well (which I planned on doing anyway regardless of the make/wire) or if I should start looking for a new cage if others were saying the cleaning wasn't working. I may have to go down to the pet store and give the lady a heads up though saying some people are having complications and she should keep an eye out in case they decide to recall the cages. Not anything to scare her but enough to be wary. I'll make sure to direct her here if she has any further questions.

Last edited by Norpa; 05/20/11 12:30 PM.
Re: Update on Cages and Recall - PART ONE [Re: Trigger] #1116784
05/20/11 12:26 PM
05/20/11 12:26 PM

K
kimbo6605
Unregistered
kimbo6605
Unregistered
K

i did not get my glider from Pocket Pets but we did get our cage from them. do you know which cage it was that was recalled

Re: Update on Cages and Recall - PART ONE [Re: ] #1116785
05/20/11 12:30 PM
05/20/11 12:30 PM

S
SplinterBaker
Unregistered
SplinterBaker
Unregistered
S

Post edited.. apparently I can't talk about this..

Last edited by SplinterBaker; 05/20/11 12:32 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 372 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,082 OHIO
487,164 OKLAHOMA
432,170 UTAH
321,695 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024