Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Ladymagyver. 03/28/24 09:57 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Gliders of the Round Table 9 [Re: Hutch] #1423189
01/26/21 11:34 PM
01/26/21 11:34 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
The last few nights they're been fairly vocal. Sometimes barking, sometimes grumbles, sometimes outright bickering. Whenever I've gone over to check on them, instead of finding out what going on, I am greeted by four faces peering out of the pouch, ears forward & eyes hopeful. So, I've just tell them 'good night' & go back to bed.

Totally not going to encourage this new game, if that's what they're up too.

- Hutch

:grey: Morgana (11/15)

:rbridge:
Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

The epic saga begins here!
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Gliders of the Round Table 9 [Re: Hutch] #1423193
01/27/21 02:06 AM
01/27/21 02:06 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Awe Dad! They just want treats and pets.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 9 [Re: Hutch] #1424184
03/03/24 09:53 PM
03/03/24 09:53 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
It's been forever since I posted, much less updated here. It seems like life has just kept me focused elsewhere, but it felt appropriate to make an update. Since the last update post in January '21 (sorry, life got complicated), one-by-one I've lost most of the Round Table.

First was Gwyn who went suddenly in April of 2021, I think she hide a problem, but seemed fine the night before. She was a blow since she was the closest to me, always wanting to just hang out on a shoulder and would be the one call (loudly) if I'd not given her all the attention she felt she deserved. I found her at the bottom of the cage one morning, one paw trying to reach down for the remaining half of a treat someone had discarded. Actually seemed a little fitting considering her persistence is getting treats, no matter what container I would put them in.

Merlin was next and as many of who've followed my rambles know, had regular neurological problems. He was probably the least bonded & didn't really like leaving the cage, but was improving the last year or so of his life. I thought I was losing him early in the winter of 2023, but with a doctor's visit and several weeks of attention, medicine, and very carefully monitoring his food, he came around as seemed back to his old self... until the fall. He went in his sleep September 2023.

Arthur passed sometime yesterday (March 2024) during the day. He was my very grumpy alpha who never met a food he wouldn't eat. On one hand, I'm not surprised, he's been showing his age for several months now. Slow moving, not gripping things like he use to, playing less with toys (but still loved walking in his wheel), and was having trouble with his sight. Still, despite that litany of ailments, he actually seemed healthy. He'd come to the door whenever I'd open it, liked getting scratched on his butt or between his ears, and still never turned down a snack. I came home to him with one paw locked on his food dish... I mean, it's Arthur, where else would he choose to go?

I still have Morgana. After my last deployment she'd been very shy towards me and didn't like coming out of the cage. She's come around, it's still not like it was when we lived in Germany, but improved. I think the dwindling size of the colony was a factor as after each loss I noticed her being much more forward and willing to interact. After Merlin, she'd actually jump to me when I took out their old food dish and hang out long enough to prepare a new one. She hung out on my back for a short time tonight while I was working on a midterm, but then went to explore a bit. She's back in the cage now and keeps coming to the corner near me to see what I'm up to before going back to playing.

I guess it's time to make a choice about my future as a glider owner. As y'all know, they're colony animals and very social. I'm not around all the time nor can I be as I've gone back to school full time. I can obviously keep her (which I want to do), but I'm not certain I can give her enough attention to keep her happy without cage mates. I could look into getting some more gliders, but will need the time to do the whole introduction and bonding process all over again (not sure I have the time right now). There is also the concern on where life will take me once I finished the university program. It's wasn't much of a concern when I was guessing I only had a few more years left, but starting over for another 9 to 12 years feels like a lot when I have no idea what life will be once I complete the Master's program in 2026. There is also my least favorite option of finding her a colony to join and enjoy her last few years surrounded by a new fuzzy family.

I hadn't really planned on losing so many of them by the time they were nine since that was the lower end of what my research showed me for their lifespan. Furthermore, even with Arthur's age showing, I really hadn't expected to loose him for a while longer while I consider Morgana's future options. I guess you always think you have time. She's still very healthy and active, so I expect whatever decision I make to affect her for a long time to come. I want to provide her those years, but I need to think what will keep her happy.

And now I need to go clean up her mess. Morgana just knocked over the pinenut tree bag and spilled it everywhere... and is pigging out. Only reason I'm finishing this first is I'm allowing her some fun. Still, better sign off and go take care of that.

[Edited for grammar/spelling]

Last edited by Hutch; 03/04/24 12:31 AM.

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 9 [Re: Hutch] #1424185
03/03/24 10:45 PM
03/03/24 10:45 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
I am very sorry to hear of all your losses. I know that I could help you out with a glider her age or younger.
I can also add her here to join the sanctuary for the rest of her life.
I know how painful this is for you.

Sincerest Condolences ,
Glide Free Arthur. :rbridge:

Kimberley
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 9 [Re: Hutch] #1424186
03/03/24 11:28 PM
03/03/24 11:28 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
I forgot to put in the last post due to Morgana's hijinks:

I'd welcome any tips for how to keep a single glider happy in the short term. For certain, I cannot do anything about the situation for at least a month, if not longer. At least that helps give me time to think the decision through.

--break--

Thanks Kimberly, I appreciate the offer, both ways. Let's continue discussing that on FB so that conversation stays in one place.

--break--

Morgana has received a lot of attention tonight and has also been not just willing but wanting to come out of the cage much more than typical. I've started transitioning the cage 'furniture.' to remove Arthur-scented stuff slowly, beginning with a new pouch (they always have two). I don't know if that will help or not, but will watch what she does with it to try and judge. Also hung a lot more dangly stuff around the cage as she like to collect it and drag them around. She's gotten really good at using her tail to carry them, something I think she learned from Arthur.

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 9 [Re: Hutch] #1424191
03/04/24 07:28 PM
03/04/24 07:28 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Last night was rough. Kept waking up to Morgana crabbing from the room over like a demon was after her. Probably woke me five or six times between 0200 - 0600. Each time I'd rush out to check on her and most of the time she'd stop when she saw me. Half of the time she was clinging to the pouch I didn't swap and the other half she was in a cube-shaped house with one side open staring outward.

About 0500, when I came out, she was sounding particularly frantic and didn't stop when I came to the cage. I could tell she was inside the old pouch. Morgana didn't even lose her rhythm when I tried talking to her or petting through the side of the pouch (its helped my gliders before when they were going on about something). I pulled the pouch out to look inside and she was all bear-ed up, mouth open and crabbing right at me. I haven't seen them like that since the very first time Merlin saw me. Again, I tried talking to her, now where she could see it was me, but to no avail. I then tried petting through the side of the pouch again... this time she exploded out and ran off.

I tried to slowly follow her until she got to a corner, then waited for me... at least she'd stopped crabbing. I scooped her up and was bringing her back to the cage when she tried to jump off again. I cupped my hands to keep her there until I could get her back inside (again, done this before and never had an issue with her). Right as I opened my hands to release her inside, she gave my finger the worse bite I've ever gotten from a sugar glider, then leapt for a wheel and started running on it like her tail was on fire.

I've been nipped frequently (especially from Arthur), but haven't had skin broken since they were joeys (also Arthur). Even then, it wasn't deep, more of just an oozing for a few seconds. This bled freely and quite a bit, I had to bandage it. It felt as bad as when Gwynevere nipped an ear lobe a couple of time, but she never broke skin, This morning I have a decent double-puncture mark and a lot of bruising around the wound. Again, never before have any of them reacted like that and I wasn't handling her in any extraordinary way!

I left the older pouch out and didn't replace it (she still have the fresh one I put in earlier that night). I watched Morgana for a while in near darkness and she kept running on the wheel periodically stopping to look my way before running again. After maybe fifteen minutes of that I went back to bed, but took a little while to fall back asleep. I heard her crab once more near 0600, but it was much quieter than the earlier times and short; I didn't even have time to get out of bed to check on her before she stopped.

Luckily my classes today didn't start until later, so I was able to sleep in quite a bit. When I did wake, she was sleeping in the remaining pouch and didn't react when I stroked it. I decided to leave her be instead of tranfering her to a bonding pouch while I did homework. She's popped out a couple of times to get a drink of water, but otherwise seems like a normal day for them... err... her.

I really don't understand what was setting her off last night or why she acted the way she did at 0500. I was debating on moving her cage into my bedroom so she'd have a better sense that I was around/near and might be less lonely during her nocturnal adventures, but I can't if she keeps acting up. I got little enough sleep with her a room over.

She also didn't act this way the first night on her own and it wasn't the barking they've done when separated before. Maybe a vet visit is in order... I dunno. I'll see what the next couple of nights bring about.

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 9 [Re: Hutch] #1424193
03/04/24 10:06 PM
03/04/24 10:06 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
With her being that way, I would deep clean everything in the cage and get rid of Arthur's smell. I think she may have been stressing because she could smell him, but not find him.

Kimberley

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 9 [Re: Hutch] #1424194
03/05/24 12:20 AM
03/05/24 12:20 AM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Okay, I'll do that. Crap, tomorrow was pretty booked... I'll try to squeeze it in. If nothing else, I guess changing out the furniture would be a good start.

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 9 [Re: Hutch] #1424198
03/05/24 05:49 PM
03/05/24 05:49 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
I changed the furniture before going to bed & last night was quiet... so a good sign that made the difference, I hope. The next few nights will be more telling.

I kept Morgana on me while doing homework all afternoon, she's just slept contently. I also located a small, old, stuffed thing they use to play with during tent time. Considering all their pouches are designed for four, it might fit in one with her comfortably. I want to give her another night or two before another big change, but the I think I'll put in in her cage and see how she reacts to it. If neutral or positive, maybe slip it into her pouch on a night I don't have class to see what she thinks. Maybe it'll work until I can get her a 'bonding-buddy.'

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 9 [Re: Hutch] #1424199
03/07/24 01:11 AM
03/07/24 01:11 AM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Tonight I let Morgana ride around on me for around an hour once class was over. Sometimes she just perched somewhere, other times she scrambled like an over-caffeinated toddler. She'd leap to a surface, zoom around a bit, jump back... and them repeat it all over again. Morgana even went exploring around the floor quite a bit as if there was buried treasure nearby, if only she could find it.

I increased the amount of resettable toys in the cage and hide some treats in them. It's getting quite crowded in there, but I've been trying to build up things can interact with and she was never one to make big jumps around the cage. That was more Gwyn and Merlin's thing. I've tried to be a little more generous with treats, especially hiding them, but I may need to cut back as it looks like Morgana has barely touched dinner (if at all). I'm use to more gliders sharing the hunt.

Monday and Tuesday nights has been quiet, no crabbing or barking. However, her tail looks like the fur is thinning, maybe. What do ya'll think?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Hutch; 03/07/24 03:55 AM. Reason: Spelling

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 9 [Re: Hutch] #1424200
03/07/24 01:51 AM
03/07/24 01:51 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Yes, her tail is starting to look a little thin. It could be age or it could be stress from being alone.
Keep watching it.

Kimberley

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 9 [Re: Feather] #1424201
03/07/24 04:08 AM
03/07/24 04:08 AM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Originally Posted by Feather
or it could be stress from being alone.

That's what I was afraid of since I hadn't noticed before. To be honest, she hasn't wanted to hold still with me that much until recently and I usually played with them in pretty dim light. It's really only noticable in full room lighting. So it's possible it started before, but I also tend to notice things like this pretty quickly.

As you said, I'll keep an eye out and hope it's an age thing that snuck up on me, not overgrooming from stress. As always, thank you!

[PS: Does the forum still enforce a 100-ish post limit? Should I start another thread or safe to keep this train of posts going for a bit longer?]

Last edited by Hutch; 03/07/24 04:10 AM. Reason: Spelling

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 9 [Re: Hutch] #1424202
03/07/24 10:24 AM
03/07/24 10:24 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Online content
Ladymagyver  Online Content

SW Missouri USA
Hutch I'm so sorry hug2

I understand your conundrum. I would take Feather up on her offer to get Morgana a friend about her age. The hardest part is finding a good match. If Feather offered to foster Morgana (remember, she and the Roundtable have been with her while you were moving from Germany back to the US). For a short time while Feather can find her a suitable mate from her rescue. That way she can observe and find a good match.

While having blankies in her pouch, be sure you rub your scent on it as well.

We have had to separate gliders from time to time and we keep them in the living room. Right now I have a single and her future colony all in the living room. We watch TV at night and usually nap for an hour or 4. When we have a single, we leave the TV on low volume till morning to keep her company. It helps with barking. Plus mine have favorite shows like old westerns, Alfred Hitchcock, Twilight zone, and Svengoolie on Saturday nights. Yes, they run on their wheel and watch TV. When it gets to an exciting or quiet part, they stop and watch (yes i have observed this. You can't make it up)

I responded 2 days ago, and didn't follow through with making sure the post posted, so all the above is from memory.. I'm sure I forgot something rofl

BIG :ghug: from everyone here.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 9 [Re: Hutch] #1424203
03/07/24 02:44 PM
03/07/24 02:44 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Hutch
or it could be stress from being alone.

[PS: Does the forum still enforce a 100-ish post limit? Should I start another thread or safe to keep this train of posts going for a bit longer?]

100 post limit for what? Classifieds you can post to now.

Kimberley

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 9 [Re: Feather] #1424204
03/07/24 03:19 PM
03/07/24 03:19 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Online content
Ladymagyver  Online Content

SW Missouri USA
Feather,
I think he's asking if he needs to open a new post. There was a limit of 100 posts per thread

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 9 [Re: Hutch] #1424205
03/07/24 03:30 PM
03/07/24 03:30 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
OH?
Yes, by all means open a new thread.

Kimberley

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 9 [Re: Feather] #1424207
03/07/24 10:52 PM
03/07/24 10:52 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Yes, by all means open a new thread.

Okay, I'm not sure if that actually answer my original question, but maybe better safe than sorry? I was hoping to keep the current 'conversation' (thought chain?) going in the same thread, but if there is still a hard limit per thread shortly after 100 posts, I don't want someone unable to reply either... so I guess I'll start a new thread.

See the continuation here.

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Ladymagyver), 402 guests, and 64 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,161
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,622 TEXAS
679,099 OHIO
487,209 OKLAHOMA
432,209 UTAH
321,726 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024