Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Why do they make fun of her #343340
07/20/07 02:18 AM
07/20/07 02:18 AM

L
LizIvey
Unregistered
LizIvey
Unregistered
L

ok, the recent post about caring for a glider with one eye made me want to post... cry
Have any of you ever had people to make fun of your special needs gliders? I recently had a few little girls from my church BEG me to let them have a "slumber party" at my house...and I said ok. dunno
Well of course they wanted to see the gliders ! These girls were old enough for me to feel comfortable with that.I let them see each of the gliders.. and when Maisy, who is arguably the sweetest glider ever created, got her turn to meet the girls... They laughed at her! They wanted to hold the gliders , in their words, " can we hold a glider, but not the one with one eye and the weird tail"...

ok, short story: maisy was let out by teenagers while the parents were out of town... her mate was crushed, and she was found days later tangled in a thread of the sofa. She lost an eye and her tail was broken. they never took her to the vet. her tail has a "twist" in it, it healed improperly but she does ok with it. she cannot glide. she lost her left eye, it was not sewn up. it looks a little bad but it also causes her no real trouble.The vet said to sew it up now would just be a "cosmetic procedure": it would look better but would not help her any since it is already healed. she already has fragile health so I will not take the chance of such a surgery.

needless to say, they did not get to hold any gliders. I was actually very upset with those girls, but did not want to say anything because they are technically just children.

when I first got maisy, my boyfriend couldn't remember her name and always called her "the one with one eye".
My dad called her "cyclops" a few times, I never told him but I cried over that. cry
I know that the gliders don't care, but it hurts me deeply when people make fun of my babies.
usually they mean nothing by it, but how am I supposed to react?
Does this happen to anyone else?
There are many other times that harsh comments have been made, I can't list them all... It is so horrible! tant

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #343355
07/20/07 04:20 AM
07/20/07 04:20 AM
Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
Judie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Judie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
In all my years of owning sugar gliders I have never had one that was handicaped. But if I did.. I would have politly said with a smile, "Meet my "Special Needs Baby" who has totally stolen my heart." mlove

Some only see beauty on the surface when in reality beauty comes from within. heart

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: Judie] #343358
07/20/07 06:31 AM
07/20/07 06:31 AM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
That's heartbreaking for a human child to say that. I would have gone on and explained to them what "special needs" is and how it is easy for them to be a special needs person too someday.

I honestly wonder where those kids get the cruel ideas from. I have sat a few down in my life and explained "life" to them and every child I've talked to ended up crying. Not angry or scared but sorry for even thinking the way they did. It was like they had never been taught compassion in their young lives. Some I could tell were followers of their cruel peers. That changed too and they would come by to visit and ask if I needed help with animals.

Since they go to your church, maybe you could have your pastor do a sermon about little animals and special needs with them and people.

We have a little girl (8 yrs old, glider) that had HLP and has "odd" looking hips and is missing most of her tail. Her special thing though is to hang upside down and spread her "wings" and swing like she is gliding. She is truly our little angel. There is a pic of her in my album on my site.

You have a special angel too. Congrats on being her mommy, she is lucky!

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: SugarBlossoms] #343392
07/20/07 08:21 AM
07/20/07 08:21 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Sadly, children tend to emphasize and focus in on anything that is "different" from the norm. This is normal for children and unless/until they have an adult explain about Special Needs they will continue to gawk, stare and laugh at the "different"... Ever noticed how a child will say, "Look, Mom, that lady is BLIND!!!" in a very loud voice in the store... or how they'll say, "Look at that man, he has NO LEGS!!!" This is just a child's innocence pointing out something different... not abnormal for a child but hideous if it were an adult that said it shakehead Children, in their innocence, can not help but notice and point out "differences" and they will also be frightened of them unless they are educated otherwise.
Now, having said that, it is our responsibility, as adults, to take a child who does something like that aside and gently explain to them that sometimes bad things happen to people and/or animals and they end up with "special needs" but that through their special needs they become very special in other ways, too... I'm sure you get the drift...
My Pika was very special in that she had cataracts that left her eyes "spooky" looking. To be honest with you, the first time I posted a picture of her here on GC I got PM's from ADULTS asking why her eye looked so weird and what was wrong with her frown To me, Pika was just beautiful, to others, she was an oddity dunno And not only did Pika's eyes look odd, she had permanent paralysis from her HLP and walked funny with one of her back knees bent at an odd angle; because she was old (12+ years), her ears were a washed-out pink color and her black stripes were grey; the fur on her tail was thin and mangy looking... To me, she was beautiful though heart Whenever anyone would comment about her "odd" looks, I would just take the opportunity to explain about her special needs and about how wonderful & truly special she was mlove
Here's a picture of my Pika just a few months before she went to live at the Rainbow Bridge heart

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: sugarglidersuz] #343395
07/20/07 08:42 AM
07/20/07 08:42 AM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
I've always seen Pika as Beautiful smile

I suppose at some point in my life, I was told something. I don't remember though. I can remember as young as 2 years old crying over an animal or another human being that seemed "hurt" as I always put it.

I was told later in life that I always seemed to look after the "underdog". I never saw it that way and still don't. I get angry when I hear someone say something about someone else's pysical or mental "problems" as they put it.

Adults have no excuse. The ones taunting will be the ones someday needing compassion for possibly the very same thing they laughed at others for in the past. It's a shame they don't learn sooner rather than later.

I have never in my life even thought about lauging at someone for a disability, certainly can't see doing that with an animal.

Oh, Suz, I want your camera! lol

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: sugarglidersuz] #343396
07/20/07 08:45 AM
07/20/07 08:45 AM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
Ok, I am in tears right now. Although I have never had a special needs glider, I do have a special needs child and have had to deal with teasing and it is very hard. Yes, they are children, but I strongly suggest you ask them back to the house, bring Maisy out and explain to them what happened. Also explain how very lucky they are to not be 'different' and how would they feel to be made fun of. You may think 'the gliders don't care'...true. But this is a chance for a life lesson. Being a child does not give license to be cruel. Nip that in the bud. Most do it because they don't know and ignorance causes most people to react that way. Try to make them see the world is filled with people who are 'different', everyone IS different. It hopefull will help them to understand and maybe one day not tease a human who is 'different'. Don't look the other way. And I would tell your family how you feel. Don't hold it inside, sweetie. You have every right to feel that way. It is called 'empathy' and I wish more people had it. (((LizIvey)))

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: pappy1264] #343431
07/20/07 10:16 AM
07/20/07 10:16 AM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
cry I agree completely! I have always been very empathetic (too much so according to some people). But I'm sure I learned it from my mom, who is the same way. I'm so sorry that your sweet Maisy is being teased, but as has been said before, I think those children need to be taught better. It should be by parents, but some adults are no better, and sometimes it is up to others to try and teach some compassion and empathy. I sure hope those girls learn better real soon, they can hurt a LOT of people until they do. frown

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove
Gliders: Eugene, Sandy, Seri; Bobbi, Spice; Star, Squiddi; Pearl, Pip; Petrie; Jimny, Pinocchio; Anna & Elsa
Dogs: Nacho & Dory
RIP my glider angels: Nynaeve, Poppy, Lan, Toffee, Zoey, Tika & Tas

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: Usha77] #343440
07/20/07 10:30 AM
07/20/07 10:30 AM

S
skeetersmommy
Unregistered
skeetersmommy
Unregistered
S

Aw Liz! cry You have such a big heart, that's why I love you so much!! hug2 I feel the same way about my animals even though they have no clue that people are cruel and she is so happy that you are her mom that she doesn't even know she is different and she probably doesn't remember what happened to her. A few weeks ago, my little girl told me that she wanted a new mom and it about killed me (she was in trouble). She had no clue what she was saying though- most kids don't realize their words hurt as much as they do. Because Maizy looks different is why they wanted to hold another. If they knew the gliders personalities instead of looks, they wouldn't see she was special. I am sure she is gorgeous and I bet her tail looks precious the way it is! I have always thought that little differences are cute. Sorry- I am rambling!

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #343531
07/20/07 12:37 PM
07/20/07 12:37 PM
Walker (56484), Minnesota, USA...
Shuttershade Offline
Glider Lover
Shuttershade  Offline
Glider Lover

Walker (56484), Minnesota, USA...
My best friend when I was younger had muscular dystrophy, and it always enraged me when people would point at her or whisper about her just because she couldn't walk. When we went into stores, she often had a hard time getting around and one time we went into a store to buy clothes, and the managar told her she had to leave! He said she was distracting the other customers and wasting space! Rachel said to me "It's alright. We'll go shop somewhere where the workers have manners." And as we left, I shouted "How would you like it?" At the manager. He called security, and when we told them what happened, I understand he got a very loud talking to. It's horrible people who make fun of the misfortunes of others. I just wish the world could get along. =/

Fly (rescued gerbil)
Luna, Cibil, Newbie (gerbils)
Koda (rescued dog)
Minket & Angel (rescued cats)
Poseidon (walmart betta)
Heron (semi-rescued treefrog)
Suggies coming soon! =D
Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #343533
07/20/07 12:39 PM
07/20/07 12:39 PM

S
susansdaisy
Unregistered
susansdaisy
Unregistered
S

It upsets me for anyone to say anything bad about any of my animals but specialy one of my special needs babies... I would much rather have a special needs animal than the ones everone considers normal... I believe their more beautiful than any normal one could ever be.. and generally have the exceptional personalities.. And i think Pika is stunning..

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #343543
07/20/07 12:59 PM
07/20/07 12:59 PM

P
PeeperKeeper
Unregistered
PeeperKeeper
Unregistered
P

Quote:
it is our responsibility, as adults, to take a child who does something like that aside and gently explain to them that sometimes bad things happen to people and/or animals and they end up with "special needs" but that through their special needs they become very special in other ways, too... I'm sure you get the drift...

Very well put, Suz. I don't know how old these girls were Lizlvey, but maybe thier parents just hadn't had the opportunity to have that kind of talk with them. Of course over time, you can teach kids so they know better than to be that way even if you haven't had a specific opportunity when there is a special needs person or animal around to say, "Hey be nice about that." But I agree that it would be a good idea to have them over again and explain it to them. The goal is not to make them cry, but just to make sure they understand and help them see the beauty of little Maisy.

I haven't had a special needs baby either, but I really don't think it would bother me that much for people to ask what's wrong. It's natural human curiosity. As long as they did it in a compassionate or sensitive way, I'd consider it an opportunity to teach them.

However, if they actually laughed at, made fun of or avoided holding them, I still probably wouldn't feel badly myself (and the animal obviously wouldn't know they were being mistreated) but I would have much less respect for the person doing it and maybe even feel sorry for them.

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #343663
07/20/07 03:37 PM
07/20/07 03:37 PM
Maryland
Holly1221 Offline
Glider Slave
Holly1221  Offline
Glider Slave

Maryland
[font:comic sans ms]being disabled i understand how you feel. i endure the stares/comments from every1. i understand how children don't understand. but IMO once you reach the age of 8 or so i think you should have some manners: compassion, etc. i absolutely can't stand when adults stare. i endure it as much as i can stand then i say "take a picture, i hear Kodak lasts 100 years now". i'm glad i have my nephew. since he was born he's seen me as normal. yes he is curious about other peoples disabilities, && he does stare, but we take him aside && attempt to explain to him. [/font]

Holly & Jeff heart
Misos Phoenix Keegan Knuckles // Asa Etienne Kyrian // Cheyenne Peyton Godiva

RIP my sweet gangel babies, mommy loves you!
Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: Holly1221] #343703
07/20/07 04:40 PM
07/20/07 04:40 PM
Maryland
Holly1221 Offline
Glider Slave
Holly1221  Offline
Glider Slave

Maryland
[font:comic sans ms] off_topic if any1 is interested, you can find out more about my disability here: [url=www.k-t.org]www.k-t.org[/url] [/font]

Holly & Jeff heart

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: Holly1221] #343709
07/20/07 04:52 PM
07/20/07 04:52 PM

L
LindsayAnnG
Unregistered
LindsayAnnG
Unregistered
L

i think that might have been a good chance to explain what a "handi-cap" is and tell them that the glider is not different than the other one, she just has a handicap,, and its nothing any one can CATCH. Kids are VERY VERY blunt, and never think twice about saying the truth. Maybe next time you could see them, just bring up the glider, ask if they remember her - tell them a funny story about something that happened to her, and end on a note saying that she really IS just like any other glider.

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: Holly1221] #343714
07/20/07 04:56 PM
Texas
morksmom Offline
Glider Slave
morksmom  Offline
Glider Slave

Texas
Holly1221,
Very interesting info. I have never heard of this but after reading if it is what I get out of it I may have seen a man once with this.
Just remember God loves you no matter what we have. And
He dont make no junk!
Thanks for sharing.

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #343715
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
Quote:

The goal is not to make them cry, but just to make sure they understand and help them see the beauty of little Maisy.

I didn't mean MAKE them cry. (lol) I meant that after talking to them about it, they would get teary eyed from understanding and seeing how it made others feel. Like finally knowing compassion. smile

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: SugarBlossoms] #343718
07/20/07 05:02 PM
07/20/07 05:02 PM
Maryland
Holly1221 Offline
Glider Slave
Holly1221  Offline
Glider Slave

Maryland
[font:comic sans ms]when i was babysitting, Andrew the 5 year old found it easier to think i had a broken leg. although we'd sat down && explained a bit (he'd had a hemangioma on his arm that had to be removed) that it was like his arm, he still thought this. so i let him think that b/c in his little mind, that's how he saw me.

a couple of weeks ago, my sister && i were in a restuarant eating, when this elderly woman came in wearing an oxygen tube. Kendal asked what it was, we explained to him, he stared a little. i bonked him on his head with his box && told him that the woman didn't like to people to stare. (btw, it's a game && he bonked me back) a few days later we were in Bass Pro Shops looking at the fish when a little boy in a walker came in with his family to see the fish. again he asked, again we explained. he got his explanation && left it at that.

so yes, please try to explain. you'd be rather amazed at the responses you'll get from these children when they comprehend.[/font]

Holly & Jeff heart

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: Holly1221] #343753
07/20/07 05:51 PM
07/20/07 05:51 PM

S
skeetersmommy
Unregistered
skeetersmommy
Unregistered
S

I try to keep my daughter as open minded about stuff as possible. I have tattoos and most kids stare but MK never does because she has grown up around it. When we watch sesame street and a disabled child is on there- I explain it to her. But with what Liz is saying, when a child hurts my childs feelings or another example- there is this guy at work who jokes about hunting Skeeter and Kota and it makes me cry. I can't stand it when people are ugly for no reason. This guy I work with doesn't understand that these gliders are my kids, not pets. He wouldn't joke about hunting my daughter. They think it's sooooooo funny to say "I bet they taste good". tant

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #343780
07/20/07 06:27 PM
07/20/07 06:27 PM
Gallatin, TN (near Nashville)
tngliderlover Offline
Glider Lover
tngliderlover  Offline
Glider Lover

Gallatin, TN (near Nashville)
It breaks my heart to see people make fun of pets or people that are physically different from the "norm". Hopefully someone will change their values to see that you can't judge a book by its cover, that differences should be VALUED.
My dear Gizmo will have her eye removed this Monday by the vet. I hope she will be seen as one of God's creatures and not be made fun of, but I'm sure that could happen one day. If it does, I will take the opportunity to explain what compassion means to the person who is "compassion challenged". We need better role models in our society, those that will stand up for what's right.
OK, I'll get off my soapbox now. Bless you all!

~Lynn~
Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #343821
07/20/07 07:05 PM
07/20/07 07:05 PM
Garland, TX
Mel2mdl Offline
Glider Addict
Mel2mdl  Offline
Glider Addict

Garland, TX
Originally Posted By: skeetersmommy
there is this guy at work who jokes about hunting Skeeter and Kota and it makes me cry.

My dad used to say that about my rabbit. Is he fat enough to eat yet? Then, I caught him petting the rabbit in his suit one day - he didn't know I was home. It doesn't hurt the animals and it didn't bother me because I knew it was in fun. Would he tease a person that way - of course not, but animals are not people.

When strangers say something, it does show some lack of empathy and, with kids, can be used as a teaching moment. With adults, and pets, it is teasing - they only do it because it bothers you or they think it is funny. Keep in mind, it doesn't hurt the animals feelings. Use it to teach the kids about empathy and respect.

Molly, son & husband:

Chairman Meow
Oscar & Thomas
Sam, Diego, Delilah, Delia :wfb:
Nevada, Noel
Marcel, Dakota, Latte
Dexter, Didi, Almond, Joy and Fitz
:grey:
Karl,Lenny,Jynxie,Chamille, Kee & Mr. Beans in my heart forever.
Teaching teenagers-part joy, part guerilla warfare! :rbridge:
Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: Mel2mdl] #343903
07/20/07 09:06 PM
07/20/07 09:06 PM
NJ
JayAndDiana Offline
Glider Slave
JayAndDiana  Offline
Glider Slave

NJ
I read this post earlier.. it made me sad to realize some kids don't understand.. I know your baby is beautiful Liz!! inside and out!!! hug2 to the both of you!! Maisy is a survivor and deserves to be spoiled.. not insulted. I'm sorry you had to go through this..

~Diana: mom to Travis (10/24/08)
4 suggies
1 Big ol' Maine coon Cat: Boots
75 gal salt water reeftank

gangel Gizzy
Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: JayAndDiana] #343912
07/20/07 09:25 PM
07/20/07 09:25 PM

K
Kitty
Unregistered
Kitty
Unregistered
K

Its so nice to read this and to hear you guys so full of compassion for disabilities. I am a acolyte and an usher at my church and every sunday a little boy with a walker comes to mass. He sings every hymn with a huge smile on his face (even if he is a tad off key, its cute!) and he goes to get communion and says "AMEN" with the goofiest most beautiful grin i've ever seen. It saddens me to see the ministers who hand down the communion wince at him...i think its so amazing that his parents have brought him up so spiritually!

I coach a little autistic child as well. He may not be the brightest, but man that little boy will swim for me. He just goes and goes and goes and it thrills me that he is so enthusiastic. I often stop my children from making jokes or asking mean questions about him. In the course of this little summer season, i've kinda made him our mascot.

Also, its not just deformities that children pick on. As a lifeguard, i see alot of things kids do. Its not just thier curiosity, its the cruelty that is inflicted into them through tv, parents, peers, you name it. I dont like to see other children picked on and i nip them on it. I've had parents tell me that they dont like me doing that, but i've stood up for my calls. My response is always: "Would you like your child treated that way? I wouldn't. I respect each of the children here and i require the same respect out of all of them. If you have any more issues with this, you can take it up with Elise (my manager.)"

Right, so now that i'm done spilling...

And Suz, that photo of Pika is the most precious image i've seen of suggies. She must have been a real sweetheart.

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #344057
07/21/07 12:35 AM
07/21/07 12:35 AM

M
Meggelle
Unregistered
Meggelle
Unregistered
M

Little kids can really be upsetting sometimes! Although none of my gliders are disabled, when I bought my horse she was severly underweight, and didn't have the most flattering color. I can remember one day when a bunch of kids who took lessons at the barn came in to feed the horses carrots. One kid went to feed my mare holly a carrot, but the other kids stopped him and said "Don't waste our carrots on that ugly horse... she's going to die soon anyway." and then went on to say "She's just nasty. I bet she bites too." And the kid pushed her head out of the way to feed one to her pasture mate. I don't remember what I said to those kids but I'm sure it wasn't too pleasent. When they left I went to my girl and cried, I felt so horrible that they treated her like that! She is such a loving and kind creature, but because of how she looked they were just plain mean to her.

And I saw it all the time with adults. My good friend's older sister was mentaly challanged and was missing one arm, and the other was only down to the elbow. I can remember every where we go people always stared. Of course Paige never noticed, but I felt the need to yell at some of the adults who didn't even hide thier gawking. After awhile my friend and I would walk up to them and say "Hello, I'm Megan, and I'm Ally. Thats our sister Paige, I'm sure she'd like to meet you. After all, she loves it when people stare at her." It wasn't the nicest thing to do, but it got our point across.

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #344140
07/21/07 08:07 AM
07/21/07 08:07 AM
Lake Worth, FL
Msdoolittle Offline
Glider Lover
Msdoolittle  Offline
Glider Lover

Lake Worth, FL
I love going to Vinceremos with my daughters. It is a horseback riding facility for people with disabilities to learn to ride. Everyone is so kind! There is no staring or whispering. It is a place where people are treated with respect. My oldest daughter volunteers and is considering a career in hippotherapy. My youngest has been a rider. She has ADHD and the motion of the horse is very soothing to her.

~Janet~
Mom to 2 daughters (Laura & Kayla)
4 suggies (Scooter & Snickers, Coral,& Portia)
3 birds (Prince,Lucy,Sidney)
1 dog (Sammy)

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: Msdoolittle] #361890
08/14/07 05:18 PM
08/14/07 05:18 PM

S
Subie
Unregistered
Subie
Unregistered
S

Wow. And here I was thinking that I was being too sensitive. I recently took in a sweet little glider who only has three legs. Well, that was apparently too much for my family. My mom kept calling her "gimpy" whenever I'd bring her over and my little brother wanted to name her "mad-eye moody" (for those of you who don't know, that's a Harry Potter character with a wooden leg). I got angry, they said I was overreacting. I'm just glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks it's mean and rude.

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #365072
08/18/07 03:07 PM
08/18/07 03:07 PM
Maryland
Holly1221 Offline
Glider Slave
Holly1221  Offline
Glider Slave

Maryland
[font:century gothic]i was thinking about something today. read LizIvey, you said those girls were in your church ? why not *teach* them some compassion ? i mean like, speak to your pastor && see if you can't come up with a way for them to experience a "disability". like, giving them a plastor cast on an arm/leg made out of paper mache, or something along those lines. do it for a weekend, make them keep a journal on thier experiences. or even have them take care of a disabled animal. then have them reflect on what they went through && what they learned && give a "speech" to the church at large.

just a thought. [/font]

Holly & Jeff heart

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: Holly1221] #365208
08/18/07 08:06 PM
08/18/07 08:06 PM

K
kaylakala
Unregistered
kaylakala
Unregistered
K

Well, I taught my kids instead of staring please ask a person that is "unique" why. One time my oldest daughter went up to a boy with a bandaged eye what happened. His Mom was trilled that instead of staring she asked and spoke to him.
Now as far a Maisy goes. I'd write a story about her. Like a scrapbook type thing. Pics of a healthy glider as before. You could put in a bit about being a responsible pet owner. Also about loving a "different" looking creature. Then invite them over again. Ask them how they would feel if they were Maisy and "some" people didn't want you because of the way you looked.
These kids growing up today just don't seem to get enough attention. I'm so happy that you love them and spend time with them!
I think Maisy got one of the best owners in the world!

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #365369
08/19/07 12:03 AM
08/19/07 12:03 AM

L
LizIvey
Unregistered
LizIvey
Unregistered
L

oh, how wise you all are!
Yes, I have seen them again... I was asked to babysit at their house. I did tell them all about maisy, and why they should treat her fairly.
I will definitely talk to the preacher! Lol I don't know if he takes "requests", but I think a lot of people could use a lesson in compassion.
I also like the idea of a scrapbook, not just for kids but as a reminder to anyone who saw it how easily animals( and people!) are harmed, and perhaps also a reminder of our need to treat those who are "different" equally ( or better!)
Thank you all so much, It is good to be reminded of maisy's disability because right now she is having a hard time with a joey. Sometimes lately I forget to give her credit for all she's been through!

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #365403
08/19/07 01:13 AM
08/19/07 01:13 AM
Nevada
itsasugarglider Offline
Glider Slave
itsasugarglider  Offline
Glider Slave

Nevada
frown

I remember when I was about 4 or 5, and my brother was 9 or 10, he was walking me to pick my mom up from work (she only worked down the street, and neighbors watched us walk there), we came upon a group of boys swinging a kitten by the tail and hitting it against the bushes. I can't imagine why no ADULT stepped in, but my brother stormed over to them, got the kitten and gave it to me (gender was never figured out) and then got into a huge fight. Turned out, they were doing it because s/he was "freaky and ugly". One of the kitty's eyes was a weird color and you could tell s/he couldn't see, and the ears were bent oddly and she had a growth on her leg. (Now I think everything was from this kitty being abused)

I'm sure them abusing the cat didn't help it with its looks frown but I thought s/he was the cutest thing ever, and begged my parents all day to keep it. My dad explained we couldn't because s/he needed special care, and that even though it was the right thing to save the cat we couldn't really keep it happy.

Anyway, the reason I started rambling, I think that was when I learned the type of compassion needed for special needs and disabilities. I don't remember ever judging someone on it, but I'm sure if I didn't see my brother (who was my hero back then) take a stand, and or hear my parents praise him for it, I would have turned into one of the terrors that hate anyone or anything that's different. I hope these kids learn..

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

The aim of education should be to teach us how to think rather than what to think.

The difference in involvement and commitment is like a ham omelet. The chicken was involved. The pig was committed.
Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: sugarglidersuz] #372713
08/28/07 11:46 PM
08/28/07 11:46 PM

C
CritterCrazyJen
Unregistered
CritterCrazyJen
Unregistered
C

Originally Posted By: sugarglidersuz

My Pika was very special in that she had cataracts that left her eyes "spooky" looking. To be honest with you, the first time I posted a picture of her here on GC I got PM's from ADULTS asking why her eye looked so weird and what was wrong with her frown To me, Pika was just beautiful, to others, she was an oddity dunno And not only did Pika's eyes look odd, she had permanent paralysis from her HLP and walked funny with one of her back knees bent at an odd angle; because she was old (12+ years), her ears were a washed-out pink color and her black stripes were grey; the fur on her tail was thin and mangy looking... To me, she was beautiful though heart Whenever anyone would comment about her "odd" looks, I would just take the opportunity to explain about her special needs and about how wonderful & truly special she was mlove

Oh my goodness, that picture of Pika is the sweetest thing I have ever seen! She looks beautiful to me! What a sweetheart!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 155 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,547 TEXAS
679,062 OHIO
487,124 OKLAHOMA
432,131 UTAH
321,659 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024