GliderCENTRAL

Why do they make fun of her

Posted By: Anonymous

Why do they make fun of her - 07/20/07 06:18 AM

ok, the recent post about caring for a glider with one eye made me want to post... cry
Have any of you ever had people to make fun of your special needs gliders? I recently had a few little girls from my church BEG me to let them have a "slumber party" at my house...and I said ok. dunno
Well of course they wanted to see the gliders ! These girls were old enough for me to feel comfortable with that.I let them see each of the gliders.. and when Maisy, who is arguably the sweetest glider ever created, got her turn to meet the girls... They laughed at her! They wanted to hold the gliders , in their words, " can we hold a glider, but not the one with one eye and the weird tail"...

ok, short story: maisy was let out by teenagers while the parents were out of town... her mate was crushed, and she was found days later tangled in a thread of the sofa. She lost an eye and her tail was broken. they never took her to the vet. her tail has a "twist" in it, it healed improperly but she does ok with it. she cannot glide. she lost her left eye, it was not sewn up. it looks a little bad but it also causes her no real trouble.The vet said to sew it up now would just be a "cosmetic procedure": it would look better but would not help her any since it is already healed. she already has fragile health so I will not take the chance of such a surgery.

needless to say, they did not get to hold any gliders. I was actually very upset with those girls, but did not want to say anything because they are technically just children.

when I first got maisy, my boyfriend couldn't remember her name and always called her "the one with one eye".
My dad called her "cyclops" a few times, I never told him but I cried over that. cry
I know that the gliders don't care, but it hurts me deeply when people make fun of my babies.
usually they mean nothing by it, but how am I supposed to react?
Does this happen to anyone else?
There are many other times that harsh comments have been made, I can't list them all... It is so horrible! tant
Posted By: Judie

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/20/07 08:20 AM

In all my years of owning sugar gliders I have never had one that was handicaped. But if I did.. I would have politly said with a smile, "Meet my "Special Needs Baby" who has totally stolen my heart." mlove

Some only see beauty on the surface when in reality beauty comes from within. heart
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/20/07 10:31 AM

That's heartbreaking for a human child to say that. I would have gone on and explained to them what "special needs" is and how it is easy for them to be a special needs person too someday.

I honestly wonder where those kids get the cruel ideas from. I have sat a few down in my life and explained "life" to them and every child I've talked to ended up crying. Not angry or scared but sorry for even thinking the way they did. It was like they had never been taught compassion in their young lives. Some I could tell were followers of their cruel peers. That changed too and they would come by to visit and ask if I needed help with animals.

Since they go to your church, maybe you could have your pastor do a sermon about little animals and special needs with them and people.

We have a little girl (8 yrs old, glider) that had HLP and has "odd" looking hips and is missing most of her tail. Her special thing though is to hang upside down and spread her "wings" and swing like she is gliding. She is truly our little angel. There is a pic of her in my album on my site.

You have a special angel too. Congrats on being her mommy, she is lucky!

Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/20/07 12:21 PM

Sadly, children tend to emphasize and focus in on anything that is "different" from the norm. This is normal for children and unless/until they have an adult explain about Special Needs they will continue to gawk, stare and laugh at the "different"... Ever noticed how a child will say, "Look, Mom, that lady is BLIND!!!" in a very loud voice in the store... or how they'll say, "Look at that man, he has NO LEGS!!!" This is just a child's innocence pointing out something different... not abnormal for a child but hideous if it were an adult that said it shakehead Children, in their innocence, can not help but notice and point out "differences" and they will also be frightened of them unless they are educated otherwise.
Now, having said that, it is our responsibility, as adults, to take a child who does something like that aside and gently explain to them that sometimes bad things happen to people and/or animals and they end up with "special needs" but that through their special needs they become very special in other ways, too... I'm sure you get the drift...
My Pika was very special in that she had cataracts that left her eyes "spooky" looking. To be honest with you, the first time I posted a picture of her here on GC I got PM's from ADULTS asking why her eye looked so weird and what was wrong with her frown To me, Pika was just beautiful, to others, she was an oddity dunno And not only did Pika's eyes look odd, she had permanent paralysis from her HLP and walked funny with one of her back knees bent at an odd angle; because she was old (12+ years), her ears were a washed-out pink color and her black stripes were grey; the fur on her tail was thin and mangy looking... To me, she was beautiful though heart Whenever anyone would comment about her "odd" looks, I would just take the opportunity to explain about her special needs and about how wonderful & truly special she was mlove
Here's a picture of my Pika just a few months before she went to live at the Rainbow Bridge heart

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/20/07 12:42 PM

I've always seen Pika as Beautiful smile

I suppose at some point in my life, I was told something. I don't remember though. I can remember as young as 2 years old crying over an animal or another human being that seemed "hurt" as I always put it.

I was told later in life that I always seemed to look after the "underdog". I never saw it that way and still don't. I get angry when I hear someone say something about someone else's pysical or mental "problems" as they put it.

Adults have no excuse. The ones taunting will be the ones someday needing compassion for possibly the very same thing they laughed at others for in the past. It's a shame they don't learn sooner rather than later.

I have never in my life even thought about lauging at someone for a disability, certainly can't see doing that with an animal.

Oh, Suz, I want your camera! lol
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/20/07 12:45 PM

Ok, I am in tears right now. Although I have never had a special needs glider, I do have a special needs child and have had to deal with teasing and it is very hard. Yes, they are children, but I strongly suggest you ask them back to the house, bring Maisy out and explain to them what happened. Also explain how very lucky they are to not be 'different' and how would they feel to be made fun of. You may think 'the gliders don't care'...true. But this is a chance for a life lesson. Being a child does not give license to be cruel. Nip that in the bud. Most do it because they don't know and ignorance causes most people to react that way. Try to make them see the world is filled with people who are 'different', everyone IS different. It hopefull will help them to understand and maybe one day not tease a human who is 'different'. Don't look the other way. And I would tell your family how you feel. Don't hold it inside, sweetie. You have every right to feel that way. It is called 'empathy' and I wish more people had it. (((LizIvey)))
Posted By: Usha77

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/20/07 02:16 PM

cry I agree completely! I have always been very empathetic (too much so according to some people). But I'm sure I learned it from my mom, who is the same way. I'm so sorry that your sweet Maisy is being teased, but as has been said before, I think those children need to be taught better. It should be by parents, but some adults are no better, and sometimes it is up to others to try and teach some compassion and empathy. I sure hope those girls learn better real soon, they can hurt a LOT of people until they do. frown

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/20/07 02:30 PM

Aw Liz! cry You have such a big heart, that's why I love you so much!! hug2 I feel the same way about my animals even though they have no clue that people are cruel and she is so happy that you are her mom that she doesn't even know she is different and she probably doesn't remember what happened to her. A few weeks ago, my little girl told me that she wanted a new mom and it about killed me (she was in trouble). She had no clue what she was saying though- most kids don't realize their words hurt as much as they do. Because Maizy looks different is why they wanted to hold another. If they knew the gliders personalities instead of looks, they wouldn't see she was special. I am sure she is gorgeous and I bet her tail looks precious the way it is! I have always thought that little differences are cute. Sorry- I am rambling!
Posted By: Shuttershade

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/20/07 04:37 PM

My best friend when I was younger had muscular dystrophy, and it always enraged me when people would point at her or whisper about her just because she couldn't walk. When we went into stores, she often had a hard time getting around and one time we went into a store to buy clothes, and the managar told her she had to leave! He said she was distracting the other customers and wasting space! Rachel said to me "It's alright. We'll go shop somewhere where the workers have manners." And as we left, I shouted "How would you like it?" At the manager. He called security, and when we told them what happened, I understand he got a very loud talking to. It's horrible people who make fun of the misfortunes of others. I just wish the world could get along. =/

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/20/07 04:39 PM

It upsets me for anyone to say anything bad about any of my animals but specialy one of my special needs babies... I would much rather have a special needs animal than the ones everone considers normal... I believe their more beautiful than any normal one could ever be.. and generally have the exceptional personalities.. And i think Pika is stunning..

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/20/07 04:59 PM

Quote:
it is our responsibility, as adults, to take a child who does something like that aside and gently explain to them that sometimes bad things happen to people and/or animals and they end up with "special needs" but that through their special needs they become very special in other ways, too... I'm sure you get the drift...

Very well put, Suz. I don't know how old these girls were Lizlvey, but maybe thier parents just hadn't had the opportunity to have that kind of talk with them. Of course over time, you can teach kids so they know better than to be that way even if you haven't had a specific opportunity when there is a special needs person or animal around to say, "Hey be nice about that." But I agree that it would be a good idea to have them over again and explain it to them. The goal is not to make them cry, but just to make sure they understand and help them see the beauty of little Maisy.

I haven't had a special needs baby either, but I really don't think it would bother me that much for people to ask what's wrong. It's natural human curiosity. As long as they did it in a compassionate or sensitive way, I'd consider it an opportunity to teach them.

However, if they actually laughed at, made fun of or avoided holding them, I still probably wouldn't feel badly myself (and the animal obviously wouldn't know they were being mistreated) but I would have much less respect for the person doing it and maybe even feel sorry for them.
Posted By: Holly1221

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/20/07 07:37 PM

[font:comic sans ms]being disabled i understand how you feel. i endure the stares/comments from every1. i understand how children don't understand. but IMO once you reach the age of 8 or so i think you should have some manners: compassion, etc. i absolutely can't stand when adults stare. i endure it as much as i can stand then i say "take a picture, i hear Kodak lasts 100 years now". i'm glad i have my nephew. since he was born he's seen me as normal. yes he is curious about other peoples disabilities, && he does stare, but we take him aside && attempt to explain to him. [/font]

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/20/07 08:40 PM

[font:comic sans ms] off_topic if any1 is interested, you can find out more about my disability here: [url=www.k-t.org]www.k-t.org[/url] [/font]

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/20/07 08:52 PM

i think that might have been a good chance to explain what a "handi-cap" is and tell them that the glider is not different than the other one, she just has a handicap,, and its nothing any one can CATCH. Kids are VERY VERY blunt, and never think twice about saying the truth. Maybe next time you could see them, just bring up the glider, ask if they remember her - tell them a funny story about something that happened to her, and end on a note saying that she really IS just like any other glider.
Posted By: morksmom

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/20/07 08:56 PM

Holly1221,
Very interesting info. I have never heard of this but after reading if it is what I get out of it I may have seen a man once with this.
Just remember God loves you no matter what we have. And
He dont make no junk!
Thanks for sharing.

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/20/07 08:56 PM

Quote:

The goal is not to make them cry, but just to make sure they understand and help them see the beauty of little Maisy.

I didn't mean MAKE them cry. (lol) I meant that after talking to them about it, they would get teary eyed from understanding and seeing how it made others feel. Like finally knowing compassion. smile

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/20/07 09:02 PM

[font:comic sans ms]when i was babysitting, Andrew the 5 year old found it easier to think i had a broken leg. although we'd sat down && explained a bit (he'd had a hemangioma on his arm that had to be removed) that it was like his arm, he still thought this. so i let him think that b/c in his little mind, that's how he saw me.

a couple of weeks ago, my sister && i were in a restuarant eating, when this elderly woman came in wearing an oxygen tube. Kendal asked what it was, we explained to him, he stared a little. i bonked him on his head with his box && told him that the woman didn't like to people to stare. (btw, it's a game && he bonked me back) a few days later we were in Bass Pro Shops looking at the fish when a little boy in a walker came in with his family to see the fish. again he asked, again we explained. he got his explanation && left it at that.

so yes, please try to explain. you'd be rather amazed at the responses you'll get from these children when they comprehend.[/font]

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/20/07 09:51 PM

I try to keep my daughter as open minded about stuff as possible. I have tattoos and most kids stare but MK never does because she has grown up around it. When we watch sesame street and a disabled child is on there- I explain it to her. But with what Liz is saying, when a child hurts my childs feelings or another example- there is this guy at work who jokes about hunting Skeeter and Kota and it makes me cry. I can't stand it when people are ugly for no reason. This guy I work with doesn't understand that these gliders are my kids, not pets. He wouldn't joke about hunting my daughter. They think it's sooooooo funny to say "I bet they taste good". tant
Posted By: tngliderlover

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/20/07 10:27 PM

It breaks my heart to see people make fun of pets or people that are physically different from the "norm". Hopefully someone will change their values to see that you can't judge a book by its cover, that differences should be VALUED.
My dear Gizmo will have her eye removed this Monday by the vet. I hope she will be seen as one of God's creatures and not be made fun of, but I'm sure that could happen one day. If it does, I will take the opportunity to explain what compassion means to the person who is "compassion challenged". We need better role models in our society, those that will stand up for what's right.
OK, I'll get off my soapbox now. Bless you all!
Posted By: Mel2mdl

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/20/07 11:05 PM

Originally Posted By: skeetersmommy
there is this guy at work who jokes about hunting Skeeter and Kota and it makes me cry.

My dad used to say that about my rabbit. Is he fat enough to eat yet? Then, I caught him petting the rabbit in his suit one day - he didn't know I was home. It doesn't hurt the animals and it didn't bother me because I knew it was in fun. Would he tease a person that way - of course not, but animals are not people.

When strangers say something, it does show some lack of empathy and, with kids, can be used as a teaching moment. With adults, and pets, it is teasing - they only do it because it bothers you or they think it is funny. Keep in mind, it doesn't hurt the animals feelings. Use it to teach the kids about empathy and respect.
Posted By: JayAndDiana

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/21/07 01:06 AM

I read this post earlier.. it made me sad to realize some kids don't understand.. I know your baby is beautiful Liz!! inside and out!!! hug2 to the both of you!! Maisy is a survivor and deserves to be spoiled.. not insulted. I'm sorry you had to go through this..

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/21/07 01:25 AM

Its so nice to read this and to hear you guys so full of compassion for disabilities. I am a acolyte and an usher at my church and every sunday a little boy with a walker comes to mass. He sings every hymn with a huge smile on his face (even if he is a tad off key, its cute!) and he goes to get communion and says "AMEN" with the goofiest most beautiful grin i've ever seen. It saddens me to see the ministers who hand down the communion wince at him...i think its so amazing that his parents have brought him up so spiritually!

I coach a little autistic child as well. He may not be the brightest, but man that little boy will swim for me. He just goes and goes and goes and it thrills me that he is so enthusiastic. I often stop my children from making jokes or asking mean questions about him. In the course of this little summer season, i've kinda made him our mascot.

Also, its not just deformities that children pick on. As a lifeguard, i see alot of things kids do. Its not just thier curiosity, its the cruelty that is inflicted into them through tv, parents, peers, you name it. I dont like to see other children picked on and i nip them on it. I've had parents tell me that they dont like me doing that, but i've stood up for my calls. My response is always: "Would you like your child treated that way? I wouldn't. I respect each of the children here and i require the same respect out of all of them. If you have any more issues with this, you can take it up with Elise (my manager.)"

Right, so now that i'm done spilling...

And Suz, that photo of Pika is the most precious image i've seen of suggies. She must have been a real sweetheart.

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/21/07 04:35 AM

Little kids can really be upsetting sometimes! Although none of my gliders are disabled, when I bought my horse she was severly underweight, and didn't have the most flattering color. I can remember one day when a bunch of kids who took lessons at the barn came in to feed the horses carrots. One kid went to feed my mare holly a carrot, but the other kids stopped him and said "Don't waste our carrots on that ugly horse... she's going to die soon anyway." and then went on to say "She's just nasty. I bet she bites too." And the kid pushed her head out of the way to feed one to her pasture mate. I don't remember what I said to those kids but I'm sure it wasn't too pleasent. When they left I went to my girl and cried, I felt so horrible that they treated her like that! She is such a loving and kind creature, but because of how she looked they were just plain mean to her.

And I saw it all the time with adults. My good friend's older sister was mentaly challanged and was missing one arm, and the other was only down to the elbow. I can remember every where we go people always stared. Of course Paige never noticed, but I felt the need to yell at some of the adults who didn't even hide thier gawking. After awhile my friend and I would walk up to them and say "Hello, I'm Megan, and I'm Ally. Thats our sister Paige, I'm sure she'd like to meet you. After all, she loves it when people stare at her." It wasn't the nicest thing to do, but it got our point across.
Posted By: Msdoolittle

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/21/07 12:07 PM

I love going to Vinceremos with my daughters. It is a horseback riding facility for people with disabilities to learn to ride. Everyone is so kind! There is no staring or whispering. It is a place where people are treated with respect. My oldest daughter volunteers and is considering a career in hippotherapy. My youngest has been a rider. She has ADHD and the motion of the horse is very soothing to her.

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 08/14/07 09:18 PM

Wow. And here I was thinking that I was being too sensitive. I recently took in a sweet little glider who only has three legs. Well, that was apparently too much for my family. My mom kept calling her "gimpy" whenever I'd bring her over and my little brother wanted to name her "mad-eye moody" (for those of you who don't know, that's a Harry Potter character with a wooden leg). I got angry, they said I was overreacting. I'm just glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks it's mean and rude.

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 08/18/07 07:07 PM

[font:century gothic]i was thinking about something today. read LizIvey, you said those girls were in your church ? why not *teach* them some compassion ? i mean like, speak to your pastor && see if you can't come up with a way for them to experience a "disability". like, giving them a plastor cast on an arm/leg made out of paper mache, or something along those lines. do it for a weekend, make them keep a journal on thier experiences. or even have them take care of a disabled animal. then have them reflect on what they went through && what they learned && give a "speech" to the church at large.

just a thought. [/font]

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 08/19/07 12:06 AM

Well, I taught my kids instead of staring please ask a person that is "unique" why. One time my oldest daughter went up to a boy with a bandaged eye what happened. His Mom was trilled that instead of staring she asked and spoke to him.
Now as far a Maisy goes. I'd write a story about her. Like a scrapbook type thing. Pics of a healthy glider as before. You could put in a bit about being a responsible pet owner. Also about loving a "different" looking creature. Then invite them over again. Ask them how they would feel if they were Maisy and "some" people didn't want you because of the way you looked.
These kids growing up today just don't seem to get enough attention. I'm so happy that you love them and spend time with them!
I think Maisy got one of the best owners in the world!

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 08/19/07 04:03 AM

oh, how wise you all are!
Yes, I have seen them again... I was asked to babysit at their house. I did tell them all about maisy, and why they should treat her fairly.
I will definitely talk to the preacher! Lol I don't know if he takes "requests", but I think a lot of people could use a lesson in compassion.
I also like the idea of a scrapbook, not just for kids but as a reminder to anyone who saw it how easily animals( and people!) are harmed, and perhaps also a reminder of our need to treat those who are "different" equally ( or better!)
Thank you all so much, It is good to be reminded of maisy's disability because right now she is having a hard time with a joey. Sometimes lately I forget to give her credit for all she's been through!
Posted By: itsasugarglider

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 08/19/07 05:13 AM

frown

I remember when I was about 4 or 5, and my brother was 9 or 10, he was walking me to pick my mom up from work (she only worked down the street, and neighbors watched us walk there), we came upon a group of boys swinging a kitten by the tail and hitting it against the bushes. I can't imagine why no ADULT stepped in, but my brother stormed over to them, got the kitten and gave it to me (gender was never figured out) and then got into a huge fight. Turned out, they were doing it because s/he was "freaky and ugly". One of the kitty's eyes was a weird color and you could tell s/he couldn't see, and the ears were bent oddly and she had a growth on her leg. (Now I think everything was from this kitty being abused)

I'm sure them abusing the cat didn't help it with its looks frown but I thought s/he was the cutest thing ever, and begged my parents all day to keep it. My dad explained we couldn't because s/he needed special care, and that even though it was the right thing to save the cat we couldn't really keep it happy.

Anyway, the reason I started rambling, I think that was when I learned the type of compassion needed for special needs and disabilities. I don't remember ever judging someone on it, but I'm sure if I didn't see my brother (who was my hero back then) take a stand, and or hear my parents praise him for it, I would have turned into one of the terrors that hate anyone or anything that's different. I hope these kids learn..

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 08/29/07 03:46 AM

Originally Posted By: sugarglidersuz

My Pika was very special in that she had cataracts that left her eyes "spooky" looking. To be honest with you, the first time I posted a picture of her here on GC I got PM's from ADULTS asking why her eye looked so weird and what was wrong with her frown To me, Pika was just beautiful, to others, she was an oddity dunno And not only did Pika's eyes look odd, she had permanent paralysis from her HLP and walked funny with one of her back knees bent at an odd angle; because she was old (12+ years), her ears were a washed-out pink color and her black stripes were grey; the fur on her tail was thin and mangy looking... To me, she was beautiful though heart Whenever anyone would comment about her "odd" looks, I would just take the opportunity to explain about her special needs and about how wonderful & truly special she was mlove

Oh my goodness, that picture of Pika is the sweetest thing I have ever seen! She looks beautiful to me! What a sweetheart!
Posted By: konotashi

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 09/03/07 03:44 AM

I don't even have a glider yet, but we had special needs kids at my school, and still do, and would get mad when anyone called them retarted. I almost got into a fight with someone over that... It was terrible, because I talked to them sometimes and they were really, really cool, but no one else saw them as someone they could care about. They just saw them as 'retards...'
But that picture of Pika is absolutely darling. I know someone that has an eye like that, and she still is one of the prettiest people I know to this day. So many people judge for all the wrong reasons. frown

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 10/05/07 12:09 AM

I think Empathy is a lost trait nowadays
I try to teach my children to put themselves in other peoples shoes.
My oldest plays football and they had a child who on the team who had to wear goggles because he wore glasses and they couldn't have glass on the face on the feild, he told me the other boys were making fun of him and I told him I better never catch him doing that.
I asked him if he could imagine how he would feel if he couldn't see as good as he does then have to wear glasses then have to wear goggles on the football feild then have other kids make fun of him.
he stood up for the child after that.
I lost an extened family mamber Tuesday to a pitbull attack in North Florida it was a horrible tragic death and her son found her and the dogs attacked him, I was reading the article in the paper here in central Florida and the online paper has a forum well some of the people were saying
horrible things about her and the situation and cracking jokes about it. They said she got what she deserved because she owned pitbulls. She lived alone for the most part because her husband worked in New York and she felt she needed them for protection, She slept with those dogs in her bed since they were puppies they turned on her when she was taking the trash out.
I got so upset that I fired off a bunch of stuff about how would feel if it had been a family member of yours and someone said that about you r family.
I put it in prospective and said a children lost thier mother a husband lost his wife and parents lost child so on a so forth . I then told them they lack empathy and that is what is wrong with society today and I hope nothing bad ever happens to someone they love and noone makes jokes about them.
I don't know what this world is comming to I couldn't imagine not felling anything for someone in need or
a critter that has special needs
I just don't know anymore I guess I will just try to teach my children to be the best human they can be and have empathy for other people.

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 10/05/07 12:28 AM

OMGosh, I am so sorry you even had to witness any of that and you're right. People have NO empathy any more. I blame so much of it on the media and these stupid tv shows like Family Guy, etc. I mean kids watch these shows and think it's so funny to talk like that and treat people with so much disrespect. Then add in video games, etc. killing, etc.

When the terrorist attacks happened on 9/11 and they were showing people jumping to their deaths from the Word Trade Center and the planes hitting the buildings, my son had NO idea those were real images. He thought it was great graphics!

I was MORTIFIED until I started speaking with other people and their children had similar reactions. They see so much death and violence and listen to it whenever they turn on the radio that they have no empathy. It's all sort of outside their reality or something. I just don't understand it either.

My heart goes out to you and your family. What a horrible thing to have happened!!
Posted By: Kiiru

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 10/05/07 12:37 AM

I think the main problem is that parents these days don't discipline their kids and let them walk all over them. If my kid ever talked that way, they would get a swift slap in the rear or a bar of soap in their mouth. Mainly if they disrespected their elders.

I'm sorry that happened, Dmbfan41. >.<

That's terrible that people make fun of special needs gliders. frown It's so sad how everyone is so caught up on looks and would laugh or get grossed out by say, a glider missing an eye. To me, everything is beautiful in it's own way. It doesn't have to be perfectly flawless because nothing is flawless.

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 10/05/07 05:30 AM

How terribly sad that someone was so insecure that they felt the need to make fun of any special needs individual! I am so sorry that happened! I have a special needs child and we have had several instances where people have teased him or not wanted their children to play with him. It is a hurtful experience for all of us. I commend you for sticking up for your baby,she is beautiful no matter what she looks like! mlove
Posted By: Sabarika

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 10/05/07 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Kiiru
I think the main problem is that parents these days don't discipline their kids and let them walk all over them. If my kid ever talked that way, they would get a swift slap in the rear or a bar of soap in their mouth. Mainly if they disrespected their elders.

THANK YOU!

I'm behind that statement 100%. Parents expect schools, peers, other parents, anyone but themselves to raise their children. I remember when I was 5 or 6 my grandma and grandpa took me to a nice ice cream parlor in the mall. We always went there and they knew me. We were sitting outside when a father and two kids, one maybe 3 or 4 and the other an infant, walked past. The toddler took one look at the ice cream parlor and tried to pull his dad into the store. His dad kept walking, so the kid began to loudly say, "DADDY! Dad! Daddy! I want ice cream! Daddy! Buy me ice cream!"
Dad said no, and the kid wound up SCREAMING, ROLLING AROUND, and having a GIANT temper tantrum right there on the floor in front of the store. Absolutely awful - even then I thought the kid was being bad. We just watched as the dad went from being stern and finally tried compromising, and ended up taking the toddler into the store and buying him ice cream. I told my grandparents that I thought he should have said no and not let the little boy get ice cream because he was making a scene.
*shakes* And that was in the early 90s, I AVOID public places like malls now because I'm tired of people's children being rude, disrespectful, and cruel. I have dyed hair and some kids think it's cool - wow! Her hair is purple and blue! But others still think it's "cool" and "funny" to point and roll their eyes and laugh. Sorry? My hair is a fake color? At least I'm not a shallow insecure high schooler who can't feel better unless they're surrounded by equally shallow peers.

I'm sorry to hear about those girls. And Pika the glider - she looks SO cool! I'm sorry she passed away - her eyes are indeed "spooky" in that photo, and I'm sure if I saw it at first I'd be a bit weirded out, but I definitely don't think it's something to make fun of. She looks awesome!

I've never really had any special needs pets, but I've known people who did and I always thought it was great that they chose to keep that animal and care for it instead of going, "ew, this animal is flawed! time to buy a new fancier one!"

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 12/18/07 07:55 AM

As someone who used to work in a special needs class room, there is nothing more heartbreaking than to see a child(or in your case a pet) being singled out because of their differences. These girl were probably not meaning to be hurtful, but they should be taught that beauties is in the eye of the beholder.
Posted By: SugarPaws

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 01/26/08 09:21 PM

I think I would feel the same way if someone made fun of my babies. However, don't let it get to you! smile Who cares what other people think. laugh I'm sure she is really cute! smile

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 01/27/08 07:43 AM

I think it's horrible for people to make fun of other people. At my school, I volunteer along with some other students with the special needs students. We're called the peer buddies. I've heard some of the things that kids say in school these days, and I can't believe it. I myself have had a few comments thrown at me when I'm with them. We are encouraged to hang out with them and our friends to get them used to being with other kids besides their class. It's horrible that someone would make fun of any person, or glider. frown Today's society is so horrible in so many ways.

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 01/28/08 10:56 PM

Well you should not feel bad about crying..I got tears in my eyes just from READING what the other said/did to her. cry

* She doesnt not know WHAT they are saying but I am sure that she know HOW they feel(negatvity towards her). She also knows HOW YOU FEEL! All of the negativity from others probably just makes her love you even more! heart

**To you and her: hug2 hug2

P.S> Tell them all how you feel then it will stop. Maybe SHOW them how sweet she is and then THEY will feel bad...as they should
Posted By: CSteele

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 01/28/08 11:36 PM

My brother has Down Syndrom and I have spent my life watching people make fun of him and call him weird and refuse to play with him as a child....I think it hurt me to see it more than it hurt him because he really didn't understand frown why they were doing what they were doing.

I am very accepting of disabilities in anyone and anything!

Except in my line of work I keep trying to convince people that STUPIDITY is not a disability!!!!! LOL (trying to lighten the air a bit)

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 01/28/08 11:46 PM

Originally Posted By: suggiemom
OMGosh, I am so sorry you even had to witness any of that and you're right. People have NO empathy any more. I blame so much of it on the media and these stupid tv shows like Family Guy, etc. I mean kids watch these shows and think it's so funny to talk like that and treat people with so much disrespect. Then add in video games, etc. killing, etc.

Parents need to take responsibility and stop blaming shows and video games. Family Guy is a GREAT show and it is NOT meant for children. There is a warning on in the beginning of the show saying that. If parents would pay attention to what there kids were doing they wouldnt need to worry about whats on TV IMO

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 01/28/08 11:48 PM

Originally Posted By: sugarglidersuz
Sadly, children tend to emphasize and focus in on anything that is "different" from the norm. This is normal for children and unless/until they have an adult explain about Special Needs they will continue to gawk, stare and laugh at the "different"... Ever noticed how a child will say, "Look, Mom, that lady is BLIND!!!" in a very loud voice in the store... or how they'll say, "Look at that man, he has NO LEGS!!!" This is just a child's innocence pointing out something different... not abnormal for a child but hideous if it were an adult that said it shakehead Children, in their innocence, can not help but notice and point out "differences" and they will also be frightened of them unless they are educated otherwise.
Now, having said that, it is our responsibility, as adults, to take a child who does something like that aside and gently explain to them that sometimes bad things happen to people and/or animals and they end up with "special needs" but that through their special needs they become very special in other ways, too... I'm sure you get the drift...
Here's a picture of my Pika just a few months before she went to live at the Rainbow Bridge heart

VERY well said Suz ! I think Pika was beautiful ! mlove

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 04/30/08 05:20 AM

Originally Posted By: LizIvey
They laughed at her! They wanted to hold the gliders , in their words, " can we hold a glider, but not the one with one eye and the weird tail"...

There are many other times that harsh comments have been made, I can't list them all... It is so horrible! tant

aw that's so sad they made fun of your girl : ( people can be so terrible. i'd LOVE to hold her, whether she has two eyes or one : ( i really really would
Posted By: sweetheart26

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 04/30/08 08:19 PM

tell them thats not nice..you need a hug..
Posted By: Trigger

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 04/30/08 09:05 PM

I guess I have been lucky to not have to deal with this problem too much in my life(cruel children).
My youngest son's best friend has a learning disability and speech impediment. My oldest son has MD and my children know that people and animals are all born different, some differences are just more noticeable than others. They also have several family members with various disabilities. They don't make fun of anything but they also know it would be dealt with very swiftly if they ever did.

They have been raised that we don't judge, my children have been taught from the start that if you are perfect you can walk on water. If you can't pull that off then you are not any better than anyone else.

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 05/02/08 05:58 AM

Originally Posted By: skeetersmommy
They think it's sooooooo funny to say "I bet they taste good". tant

tant tant tant tant tant

OHHHHHH yo have NO idea how angry that makes me! My friends and family joke about it ALL THE TIME! I mean, what is it about a sugar glider that makes them want to be eaten??? One of my friends said to me that "they probably taste sweet because they are SUGAR gliders! haha!" Oh, i want to bonk everyone that makes a comment like that, but I just hold it in. If i don't, everyone gets mad at me and acts like i have no reason to be upset. -.-

I may not understand a lot about those with special needs, but I'm not one to stare or mistreat them. they are people just like we are, and special needs animals are the same as any other animal. I guess that is why they are called "special" because they have a special quality about them that sets them apart from all the others. smile I just can't stand how people can act so harshly to those who are not the same as them...Thats why I'm so happy that Clay Aiken has his foundation for special needs children. We need more people like him. laugh

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 05/02/08 06:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Melissa2721
Originally Posted By: suggiemom

Parents need to take responsibility and stop blaming shows and video games. Family Guy is a GREAT show and it is NOT meant for children. There is a warning on in the beginning of the show saying that. If parents would pay attention to what there kids were doing they wouldnt need to worry about whats on TV IMO

I admit, I must agree. My husband and some of my friends play a lot of video games (and my hubby and i watch family guy) but there is a point to the humor. It's like that MTV show where they do all the dumb stunts (i can't say the name of it, but i;m sure you know what its called.) any "entertainment" like that is the kind where you are supposed to enjoy it while watching but DONT TRY AND REPEAT IT! Family Guy humor is meant for Family Guy. I dont watch it and go around doing the kind of stuff to people that they do on that show. And i CERTAINLY don't try and do my own stunts. If you are mature enough (and the proper age) for those types of programs, then you should have the common sense to know that that kind of behavior is not accepted in real life. I wish people would learn...*sigh*
Posted By: SeemsFamiliar

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 05/27/09 06:17 AM

Kids with wussie parents make fun of animals. I hesitate to call them bad parents, when they sometimes are ignorant. I work in a retail pet store and teach dog training classes. It burns me up the ppl that come in there sometimes! One kid got in front of the guinea pig habitat and started posturing and saying you want some of this? You cant take me! Yesterday, I had an ADULT come in with two children to buy a goldfish bowl to put a tortise into! There wouldn't have been a full inch of space on either side of the poor critter, and the man wasn't planning on giving it any water, and only offering the poor wild caught thing food when it was out of the cage and probably too scared to eat. I told him that was completely horrid. And he got offended and said that there was nothing wrong with it.
Multiple times I've seen kids throw horrible fits to get something and then when they do get it, they want nothing to do with it. I had a lady that was having trouble training her dog. I asked her if her daughter burned down the house by lighting the curtains, if she'd go 'its okay, lets go get ice cream.' Her answer was yeah, I probably would. It was no wonder the dog was doing whatever it wanted. If its just a child, you explain to them what they are doing is wrong in a way they understand. Ever wonder what it sounds like to a fish when you hit the glass like that? If you go home and put Mom's stock pot over your head and hit it with a spoon you can find out. Would you like it if someone that you didn't know came in through your bedroom window? That's the way the bird feels when you stick things through the bars of his cage. Let's open the front door so he can meet you politely.

I don't get people who think "polite" means pretend the situation doesn't exsist. I'm probably overly curious, and my matter of fact manner has occasionally been mistaken for pointedly rude, but if you don't know then ASK. There was a dog that came in missing huge chunks of hair. My first thought was mange, but the guy didn't look stupid enough to bring a contagious dog into the store. The dog had been abused before the guy adopted it. The vet said some kids probably poured scalding oil down his back. Understanding the dogs condition, I could in all comfort dote on it for a minute, whereas if I hadn't asked, I would have been too concerned for my own health and that of the other animals to touch it.
I'm more outraged when people declare themselves as caring or Christian and then are so foul.
I really would like to FIX other people, but my hardest lesson to really get is that you can only show them how to be different and hope that they can change themselves.
Posted By: konotashi

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 05/27/09 09:25 AM

Originally Posted By: SeemsFamiliar
I'm probably overly curious, and my matter of fact manner has occasionally been mistaken for pointedly rude, but if you don't know then ASK.
The dog had been abused before the guy adopted it. The vet said some kids probably poured scalding oil down his back. Understanding the dogs condition, I could in all comfort dote on it for a minute, whereas if I hadn't asked, I would have been too concerned for my own health and that of the other animals to touch it.

That's how I am. Sometimes there are some things where I would MUCH rather ask than sit there staring at whoever/whatever has some sort of difference trying to guess what happened.

Personally, I would love to have pets with disabilities more than fully able pets. I don't know why, but if I walked into a shelter and saw a mangy little mutt with one eye, three legs, and two teeth, I'd take that dog before I took a gorgeous, fully able purebred. Yes, more responsibilities come with it, but how many other people would look at that dog and say, "That dog just needs to be put down!" frown

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 05/27/09 10:29 AM

Some people just speak before they think - and then others are just thoughtless - In my personal opinion some of the cutest animals (any kind) are the ones that are handicapped - they look so helpless and adorable - my Junior has a paralyzed hind leg and he still gets around fine and he is still my adorable baby (age 5) - Don't worry about what other people say - you in your heart know your gliders are precious no matter what they look like or how they act -

Sue
owned by &
mom to
Posted By: anjill_tree

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 05/28/09 12:50 AM

Usually kids that are cruel, are not doing it where others can see it. And the one being made fun of, does not want to cause waves , so it goes on til it's unbarable. I have a son with Asperger's syndrome. SO, needless to say, it's been a learning experience.
And, sometimes. it is not the parents fault about the cruelty kids can dish out, but, peer pressure. Just because a child does or says something bad, doesn't mean it is the parents fault. Children do try and find their place in this world. I would not want to be a youngster in these days. And I tell my son he is special in his own way, and I always like being different. Why be like everyone else?

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 05/30/09 06:37 PM

i just posted this on my FB abt 45 mins ago:
i've been thinkin' abt this alot and i know some of you will agree with me on this.. making fun of another person signifies that A) you are unhappy with yourself on some level B) you're jealous of some quality that person has that you do not C) you have nothing better to do with your life

i've lived with this kind of torment all my life. yes kids point out the obvious flaws of people without meaning to. it's the teenagers and adults i take exception too. this is gunna sound wrong to some of you but i can understand how being teased, terrorized, tormented by your peers is enough to make a person think abt picking up that gun and shooting those people. while i can say i've never thought abt doing that, i can definitley say i've had some thoughts of wailing on my tormentors until i felt better and they learned a lesson. just bc i have a disability does not mean i can't see/hear what you do.

Kalista already knows that having a tantrum to get what she wants will not work. it means she will leave that store with nothing and more than likely at home, she'll get punished or that slap to the bottom is more than enough. when we take her to the store, she asks if she can get something like any child. usually we won't give in to her or Jeff will tell her "if you want it, you have to carry it until we leave the store, you put it down, it's gone"

as for pets with a disability, it makes me melt on the inside to know what that pet has possibly gone thru and how it can still have a smile on its face, a bark for you, taking up your lap, or even that purr that gets you everytime. i know people who have gotten a stubbed toe who cry more over that then you see your dog whining unless it's in severe pain. i personally have a very high pain tolerance so what is low pain to me, is high pain to my mother for example.

everything seems to be video games or violence this or violence that in this day and age. kids think it's cool to play a war game on Xbox when in reality what the soldiers go thru is a LOT more extreme. i've just never approved of letting your kid play or watch tv with out some kind of monitoring.

remember, it's how you deal with the matter or how you raise your child to look at others, that makes the biggest difference of all !

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 09/18/09 07:06 PM

You're a wonderful glider Mom and always remember that. As a person who is 1/2 blind, I can say sometimes people just don't think before they talk. Other times parents have taught their children that a handi-cap is a bad thing and you should avoid those people. I was tormented in school because of A. being 1/2 blind and B. having eczema that made it so I couldn't wear jeans very often. That's what made me such a lover of animals.

Please know that everyone and every glider needs love. Children go by how they are taught and by what they see in public/on tv.

A big hug to you and sweet lovings to a glider that isn't handi-cap, but special smile. After all she is in the right spot, with a Mommy who sees how special she is no matter what the problem is.

Sugar Mommy to be to Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter
Debra

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 11/17/09 05:50 PM

I have been reluctant to post here but hey why not, it's a shame the little girls made fun of the glider, but what upsets me the most is the lack of empathy and compassion that is shown towards animals... blind, deaf, one leg, two legs... it's like if its not perfect someone HAS to say something.

I for one give kudos to all who have a special needs glider, its a tough job and it takes AWESOME people to do that job.
Posted By: WintersSong

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 11/17/09 10:13 PM

She was so pretty!!
Posted By: Temulin

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 03/04/10 12:47 AM

Oooh - poor sweet little girl! :< It sounds like she has a great home with you though so I'm sure she didn't take the girls' reaction personally. wink

I'd have to say those girls made some very callous and cold hearted comments. I'd hate to wonder if that attitude is being allowed in the home. Not sure how old they are, but your post seemed to indicate that they were at an age where you would expect them to be respectful and mature towards your pets. As they're from your church, I'll second what others have said and suggest maybe using this as an opportunity to teach them how caring for a needy pet can be inspirational and a blessing to the owner. You could talk about why Maisy is beautiful and deserves love and respect as God's little creation. You might ask them if any of their friends or family have had disabilities and open a dialogue on how to respect people with disabilities and whatnot. Use the "golden rule" and ask how they would like it if someone laughed at them and treated them poorly because they'd been in a terrible accident and couldn't change their outward appearance. Tell them how much you love Maisy and why caring for her is such a good example of Christian love in the same way God cares for us. /theological rant done.

As for the other comments, I think you might wanna separate playful remarks from ill meant ones. I've worked with several one-eyed dogs at the shelter, one in particular that we all loved. The staff would joke and say we were going to buy him an eyepatch and make him a pirate. I'd call him "Xiahou Dun" occassionally after a one-eyed character from a book/videogame series I liked. We'd laugh at him (or with him... he was always happy with us until he got adopted out to a nice family) and tease him like you would any other pet, but were always very respectful of his blind side when handling him. I always told visitors he was an awesome dog and he got a whole lot of love from people who stopped by because he was such a sweetie despite his rough past. People might not be meaning to upset you or Maisy - they may just be teasing her a little in a loving, friendly way.

That said; I demand pictures of this cutie!

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 03/04/10 09:54 PM

I think Picka Is Great! Im my house hold I have 2 kids my son is 11 and my daughter is 8. Having said that,friends are our biggest problem with the name calling and general torment. My son has MANY mental health problems and with that comes sevral issues with looks too. He goes from bieng so thin the wind could knock him down to some months a "chunky monkey" To me both stages are beautiful! My daughter is the first to pipe up and tell the other kids where to stick it and how to do it when they pick on brother. Also a beautiful site to see, but with my daughter she explaines that there is nothing wrong with brother because hes still just him no matter how he acts or how he looks and if they dont like it then there is aproblem with them.She will tell me "normal sucks mom I like the odd things about people!" My son also sees a ton of it with animals and hes the first to Jump in and explaine it and ask the other kids if they would like someone to talk to them that way. Bieng hes delayed in many ways its amazing tha he feels sooo deeply for animals. Both kids also have me I am going blind and some days my eyes are SSSOO scarry that I hate to look at them or have any one else look at me. They will do the same for me tell some one whats what and not feel any shame about it. Its our Job as parents to make each person special and see that theres nothing wrong with them. Same with animals. My sons accidemic principal wants him and I to work with the other kids because we are a family of "normal sucks because if you find one normal person there prolly lying to you" LOL Every one is got somethin that sets them appart, eyes, tail, noises, you name it but were all Beautiful just like Picka!

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 06/14/10 04:04 AM

I worked at a facility where we taught disabled or underpriveledged children and adults how to play golf. It was by far one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. People in wheelchairs, people born with missing or distorted limbs, or people that were amputees.

A disabled person or Glider is just that. A disabled person or Glider. That is all. They sleep, they eat, they laugh, they cry, etc.

We all bleed the same.
Posted By: Cloudberry

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 06/17/10 05:55 PM

This is a very sad story, but something that is rather interesting and that might make it a little bit easier to bear is that human beings actually do not fully develop empathy until they are about 25 years old. Children can, therefore, be rather cruel as they simply do not have the capability to completely put themselves in other people's shoes. This behaviour stems from lack of experience, and the fact that their brain still has some developing to do.

The human brain takes surprisingly long time to develop, and the prefrontal lobe (which controls self-control, reasoning and empathy) is the one that develops last. Everyone develops at different paces, of course, and children may start so show empathic behaviour at such a young age as 18 months. But that doesn't mean that they have the same capability for empathy as a grown human being. I think that that is something that adults tend to forget. We all have a tendency to project our own perspective onto others in our environment, and that is especially dangerous with children. Someone here mentioned discipline. I don't think that's what it's about at all. Children respond much better to thorough explanations of what they have done wrong than they do to punishment without reasoning. And I personally find the practice of hitting children to be completely reprehensible.

Anyhow, try to explain your glider's situation to the girls, call on the empathy that they are already capable of. When they learn of her story, it is even possible that they will want to give her much more love and attention than they would the other gliders. Children can see what's normal or not, but in most cases they probably can't look at an animal like your little girl and see beyond the appearance to wonder what caused it, and then feel sympathy for the creature because of what she has gone through, as an adult would.
Tell them the story. Keep in mind that their minds are young and still in development, and give them a chance to understand. Give them a chance to surprise you.

I have a one-eyed glider at home, and he's the sweetest thing, though a little skittish. He was sown up properly by a vet, though, so it sort of looks as though he's constantly winking at you. It's perfectly adorable. Still, it sort of startled a little girl that came to visit us a while back. I explained to her what had happened to him, and she did not even look at his cage mate, who has two eyes, after she had been told his story. It was really rather endearing how sweet she was to him. smile
Posted By: xoerikae

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/13/10 04:09 PM

growing up, all i ever saw in people my age was the negative. what y'all mentioned before - pushing anything different aside.
i work with people with special needs. our goal is to teach them how to be more independent, and to have healthier lifestyles. one of the girls i work with, we walk the mall for an hour once or twice a week. we've been doing this for about three months now, and we've made one friend in the mall at a cell phone stand. until yesterday, she was the only one to stop us.
but when we were walking yesterday, there were so many different people neither of us had ever met stopping us to ask how she was doing, if she was wearing me out and making me walk, how long we were walking, etc. and every one of them told her how good she was doing. she had such a GREAT day, it was fabulous. i wish those people knew how much they helped just by being nice.

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/14/10 12:22 AM

I am specail need for myself. and I can honestly cant tell you how many and how much of my life had i been made fun off. I could just see that poor baby glider being hurt. I would had explain to the children that it was not right and that they have feeling too and explain how everyone is different and should be love no matter what or how they look or where they came from. I dont even care if it is about people, animals or anything. these children need to learn about this stuffs or they will keep doing it for all their life.

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/14/10 08:32 AM

I'M IN A WHEELCHAIR AFTER A STROKE IN 1998. I use a power chair and have a Service Dog with me always. Spud and I do seminars every chance we get, both at schools and adult groups, a few people are rude but most are uncomfortable and don't know what to say, often blurting out very inappropriate things. I see people relax after I've talked for a while, laugh at funny things that have happened, etc. I always close with a question period, telling adults this "is your chance to ask a disabled person any question you've wanted to but were afraid to ask". It's quiet for a while but eventually one brave soul raises a hand, usually starting a very lively discussion. I usually leave with a room full of new friends. Understanding is the key. These special needs gliders are a perfect doorway to kids understanding disability, how special and sweet she is, how strong her will to survive is, how she has learned to cope, etc. Kids will relate to that very well, understand and love her. Don't suffer in silence, explain what happened. I'd love to have her to take to my seminars. She may have a much higher purpose.
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/14/10 10:56 AM

people make fun of other people because they are ignorant, or afraid, and making fun of someone makes them feel better, or powerful, or in control.

I am alittle hard of hearing, I hear sounds very well, and I will hear some voices, but unless I am facing you I dont make out all the words. if people enunciate properly it helps. but when people slur words or run everything together, i dont always get it. and when I ask them to repeat they speak to me as though I am either stupid or they shout. neither one of which helps. some people have nice clear voices and I hear them fine, other people do not or they mumble (like my hubby) and I feel I am constantly making them repeat,
at work it happens alot as there is alot of background noise, and people will say something to my back and I dont hear them or dont know they are addressing me, and then later I find out they slammed me for being stuck up and ignoring them. so I go to them and say "didnt your mom teach you to say excuse me, ever think I just didnt HEAR you?" or something like that LOL

so I am finally learning sign language. even though I dont NEED it yet, I feel every school should teach it.

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/14/10 11:47 PM

Dont feel bad. Im almost fully deaf since i was 3 years old. trust me i know how you feel. my own parents does this to me too even know they know im almost deaf. I can sign but i dont really use it.
Posted By: cyndiekb

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/15/10 02:11 AM

My hubby likes to ask when we are gonna BBQ the furthings. I know he is just trying to get on my last nerve when he does it. Just like the family calling my calf "Sloppy Joe" her real name is Bella and she IS NOT FOOD. I realized after a few of these issues that I really don't react to much till it does come to my furkids. I guess hubby and family thought any attention was good attention. They have mellowed out since I try to fill that gap they needed filled.
Posted By: Craby123

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/15/10 02:13 AM

I didn't realize my daughter was almost deaf until the age of four years old, and dylexic. She looks perfectly healthly but people have always accused her of being stuck up and unfriendly because she couldn't hear them. Now she thinks it's an advantage because she doesn't like what most people have to say anyway and can just take out her hearing aids. This is why I enjoy my animals, they don't judge you. I have no place in my life for cruel insenstive people.
Posted By: eterrell84

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/15/10 02:30 AM

i cant stand the thought of ANYBODY/ANY CREATURE being made fun of. i fight with my husband all the time over our animals .... he will say "your dog just needs to GO already " (my 13 yr old boxer) we also have a 38 yr old autistic/handicapped man who lives with us, as my job... so i know the looks i get in town... i yelled at these two little kids like 3 yrs ago.... they looked at Dean and just stared at him like "whats wrong with YOU"... i said "dont you know its RUDE to stare?"... i shouldnt have, but i get REALLY defensive... always have. i was the one in jhs and hs that always took up for people, even if it meant a fight... ill still do it to this day and im 26. i just cant tolerate it!

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/22/10 11:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Craby123
I didn't realize my daughter was almost deaf until the age of four years old, and dylexic. She looks perfectly healthly but people have always accused her of being stuck up and unfriendly because she couldn't hear them. Now she thinks it's an advantage because she doesn't like what most people have to say anyway and can just take out her hearing aids. This is why I enjoy my animals, they don't judge you. I have no place in my life for cruel insenstive people.

HAHAHAHAHA im 25 yrs old and i still take my hearing aids out when i dont want to listen to anyone. mostly my soon to be husband lmao! smile i had hearing loss since i was 3 years old.

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 07/22/10 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: cyndiekb
My hubby likes to ask when we are gonna BBQ the furthings. I know he is just trying to get on my last nerve when he does it. Just like the family calling my calf "Sloppy Joe" her real name is Bella and she IS NOT FOOD. I realized after a few of these issues that I really don't react to much till it does come to my furkids. I guess hubby and family thought any attention was good attention. They have mellowed out since I try to fill that gap they needed filled.

I confess I used to tease Granny every time I had to clean her koi pond as to when we were gonna have 'koi fellets and frog legs' for supper. She'd go to fussing!

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 08/11/10 05:01 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets bent out of shape over those comments. I have someone in my office who thinks it would be amusing to throw my Elliot off of the top of his nine story apartment building to "see if he can glide" to the ground.

I told him that if he came within ten feet of my glider I'd rip off his head and $*&( down his neck. I also get the "I bet they taste great" comments.

Like you, my glider is not my pet, he's my kid. He's listed as my "son" on Facebook and has his own page lol. If he ever got sick or became a "special needs" glider, you bet your bottom dollar I'd be the same way.

Re: Why do they make fun of her - 08/14/10 12:51 AM

I don't know what it is with parents these days. I heard a news story not long ago about some kids in WI who were driving around looking for animals to kill and then they would take pictures of them with their phone and send them to their friends. It was a *contest*! They got points for how horribly mutilated the poor animal was! These kids were in high school. So maybe their "empathy" wasn't fully developed yet, but they were certainly old enough to know better (and yes they were caught). What kind of parent would you have to be for your kid to think that going around and killing peoples' pets, or even wild animals was an ok game to participate in?

Later one of my friends was posting on FB that these kids by where she lived were catching peoples' dogs and cats and setting them on fire while they were still alive. How horrifying!!! (And then they were bragging about it to friends). I think these were older kids (junior/sr in high school maybe). Again, old enough to know better.

People may think that animals don't have feelings, but I believe they do. And just because we may not be able to understand their language, I believe they understand a lot more about us than we may think. I don't think a special needs person OR animal should be made fun of AT ALL! Animals/people that are different are what help to make life interesting, and God created them all special and with a specific purpose in mind.

I think Pica is gorgeous too, and I wouldn't hesitate to love on her given the chance!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL