Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hand Feeding Log #1404977
10/31/16 04:35 PM
10/31/16 04:35 PM
Pacific NW
TwoDog Offline OP
Glider Lover
TwoDog  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Pacific NW
Hey all!
Since I am now hand feeding (supplemental) my two little Joeys, I figured I would reformat it a bit more like a log. Maybe it can be of some use that way to more people.

Anyone who recognizes my doing something totally out of whack is welcome to correct me!

October 24 11:11pm: Frisby has been cooing and burbling all day in the cage. Grabbed sweatshirt out--TWO Joeys! Naked and pink? Is that translucent white fur? Can't tell. Get them into the pouch with mom and dad. Joeys weigh in at 14 grams for the male, 13 grams for the female.

October 24 11:12pm: PANIC

October 28 Weighing the joeys at midnight each night. Not good. Male has not gained weight--still 14 grams. Female has lost weight.
Upped Frisby's diet to include an additional separate tray of chicken, fresh fruit and honey all doused in powdered CLP (Critter Love Complete--She stuffs up on the protein first.)

October 29: Got puppy milk formula eyedroppers, etc--plus a small blender. Adding 1tsp CLP to 2/3cup puppy milk. Blend to silky smooth.

October 30: How do people do this? I'm covered in it, the dogs are covered in it...the table is covered in it--and somehow none has made it INTO the animal.
Making sure joeys are warm. Female has started to develop a series of bite wounds on her face--not good.
Again from the top: Warm milk in bonding pouch 20 min. Microwave joey on high 15 sec...
Wait...that's backwards. What time is it? What day is it?
Warmed all parties...
Make sure joey is positioned facing at least a slightly downward angle...eyedropper in...
After 30 min, maybe got her to take a drop. Give her a break--back in the cage with the family.
Tiny pit crew breaks out in the pouch as everyone wants to help lick that formula up. :-/
Male next: Eats perhaps a bit more, but still 2-drops in the animal and 2 cups in the carpet. ;-/

October 31: She is starting to get it. After an unsuccessful morning session of bathing myself in puppy milk-CLP formula, we try again in the afternoon and suddenly she seems to get it. She stops squirming and starts sucking in drop after drop off the eyedropper.
Give her a break in the middle...overall I think maybe .2ml in the animal. Will try her again later.
Male still doesn't get it--although he is larger and stronger than she is. Both are developing bite wounds on their faces now.
Need to get them taking this formula so mom doesn't kill one or both...

October 31: Joeys moving in the pouch...let's see if they are hungry....

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Hand Feeding Log [Re: TwoDog] #1404978
10/31/16 04:55 PM
10/31/16 04:55 PM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
If the joeys have bite marks that is a sign of rejection and they need to be pulled completely for hand raising and not just supplementing frown

Re: Hand Feeding Log [Re: TwoDog] #1404988
11/01/16 06:53 AM
11/01/16 06:53 AM
Pacific NW
TwoDog Offline OP
Glider Lover
TwoDog  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Pacific NW
Oh man...that's not good news. Let me try and get a picture...

Incidentally, I just witnessed (I think) the parents trying to relocate the nest. Again to the same place with the old blackout curtain. They seem to have left the little girl behind. :-( Putting her in bonding pouch...

(This laceration is the worst I have seen so far)

I'm going to pull the sleeping pouch and use that blackout curtain as their bedding for now. See if that stops their migration attempts.

Last edited by ComradeFluffy; 11/01/16 10:08 AM.
Re: Hand Feeding Log [Re: TwoDog] #1404989
11/01/16 08:56 AM
11/01/16 08:56 AM
Pacific NW
TwoDog Offline OP
Glider Lover
TwoDog  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Pacific NW
You know what I love...animals.
You know what I hate...animals again (sigh)

Gota pic of the marks. On further observation I am going to have to say those are claw marks from mom grabbing at their little faces for some reason. I think they would be much deeper if they were bites.

Left to their own devices they moved the nest again to the blackout curtain. I just gave it to them.

So I roll fall out of bed this am. No fire, CO2 poisoning, leaky propane or frost on the walls. Good start.

Frisby is bouncing off the walls of her cage wanting to come out and play. She has no joeys on her. Little Aria was left in the bonding pouch--in the 3 hours I was down, mom made no move to get her. :-(
So I put on the pouch and start to warm her up. She likes that. She gives a little squeak and suddenly mom is all over it.
She comes out of the cage, over to me, sitting here with my warm formula all ready to start slinging it all over the walls, and TAKES the joey.
Aria is climbing all over mom, trying to get her head into the pouch. Mom doesn't want that--because mom wants to run on the wheel without giving the little one a concussion.
Eventually Aria wins out and mom submits to a compromise.
Half of Aria in the pouch nursing and mom has room for a WALK on the wheel.
Frisby uses the wheel as a place to roll over completely onto her back with her feet in the air. She and Aria are kind of wrestling, kind of nursing. Mom is licking and cleaning...
A little more on the wheel and the Mom waddles off to bury herself in the blackout curtain. (Which I guess is the new nest). That doesn't look like a rejection--that looks like good mommy action. Or at least an attempt at mommy action. I don't understand.
Silence. The sound of sleeping gliders...

That brings us up to current.
I am hearing squeaking and scratching from the kitchen...which is impossible, because all the gliders are locked in the cage.
Better find out what's going on....the old man told me never to feed them after midnight...

So having relocated everyone, the consensus is that the blackout curtain is the good nesting spot. Justin WAS making noises in the kitchen and somehow got himself into...something that smells like pee.
Frisby used the opportunity to slip the cage and run to some secret hideout with Arrow under her belly. Arrow seems to be the prodigal son. He gets the lion's share of the milk and lovin'.
I know where she's going she will be fine for now.

Justin finds Aria and starts doing father things--cloacal stimulation--cleaning, etc. He stretches his patagium down and kind of wraps it around her like a blanket...
Then 5 min later he's gone to the pub again. :-(

I find Aria alone in the nest and we try a feeding.
Success! She really is getting it. Most of the formula into the animal this time.....maybe .3ml
I can feel her relief as I warm her...full belly and warm. She's asleep in my cupped hands.

Can't decide who is getting rejected here or not. But there's too many cold, hungry joeys in the mix here...

Daddy-tree has a job...
More later...trying to upload pics

Last edited by ComradeFluffy; 11/01/16 10:12 AM.
Re: Hand Feeding Log [Re: TwoDog] #1404990
11/01/16 03:45 PM
11/01/16 03:45 PM
Texas
Pixel Offline
In Pouch
Pixel  Offline
In Pouch

Texas
How is Aria's weight as of midnight last night? I'm worried for that little one, all this being left alone and from the sound of it cold is not good for such a young animal.

If you feel comfortable hand raising, you may want to take the plunge. Aria's inconsistent body temperature will impact her health and immune system and can ultimately lead to problems like pneumonia. Furthermore with the lacerations and her parents' behavior I would be worried about the parents deciding to fully reject her which could lead to her death. Last week I had a new momma short tailed opossum go from 4 babies to 1 (cannibalism) for no apparent reason other than inexperience and it's heartbreaking.

Hand feeding any animal is challenging but you need to weigh the risks and determine whether she has a better chance of survival with unreliable parents or being hand raised. Right now it sounds like hand feeding might be the safer option.

Pixel, Aurora & Gaia :leu: Link :rtmo:
Re: Hand Feeding Log [Re: TwoDog] #1404996
11/01/16 07:13 PM
11/01/16 07:13 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Ok, I would remove the black out curtain so they have just the pouch. That way they can't leave a joey in the pouch and move on.

As far as supplemental feeding try cupping it in the palm of your clean hand and see if they lap it up.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Hand Feeding Log [Re: TwoDog] #1404999
11/01/16 11:35 PM
11/01/16 11:35 PM
Pacific NW
TwoDog Offline OP
Glider Lover
TwoDog  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Pacific NW
Actually I am goin' the other way. Removing the pouch and giving them the curtain. They just love that curtain.

Another good feed on Aria! She's really getting it now. Only lost a little bit last time and she is now sucking the drops off the back of my hand. Her eyes are opening too--I think that helps...I think she can kinda see the eyedropper coning now. Feeling like she might make it.
Good. This hand feeding thing is hard--it's a good thing I don't have a job.
Going to try and get Justin to take some more soon. I think the more pressure I can take off mom the better.

Sidebar: Ever since the joeys came oop, Frisby and Justin's comfort level with me has gone way up. Can't explain it. They are much more at ease and less skittish about being held and handled.

Weights appear to be going up, but I will find out for sure at midnight.

Gave mom and dad a branch of eucalyptus and it looks like I'm babysitting everyone tonight. They have been zooming all over the room, whacked out of their little fuzzy minds.
And I don't think she's up for mothering right now...I think I hear a tiny drum circle starting up in the overhead storage.

Oh oh...someone peeping at me from the bonding pouch--lets see who is hungry...

Re: Hand Feeding Log [Re: TwoDog] #1405000
11/02/16 07:33 AM
11/02/16 07:33 AM
Pacific NW
TwoDog Offline OP
Glider Lover
TwoDog  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Pacific NW
4am...
Late to report. Arrow at 15 grams empty. Aria at 12 grams empty.
This is a big improvement.
Woke up and found Momma running on the wheel. The kids were not far--warm and clean and together in the nest.

Arrow wasn't having the milk supplement. Aria guzzled it down only losing a few drops. She now has a little white pooch belly and is dreaming away in the bonding pouch making little popcorn and squeaky noises. :-)

Mom is taking advantage of my distraction now. There's a fuzzy white tail sticking straight up out of the Yogi bag--quietly trying not to be noticed.

I think we may be past the danger zone here. As long as Aria keeps taking the formula.

Happy Glider-ing all!

Re: Hand Feeding Log [Re: TwoDog] #1405002
11/02/16 08:51 AM
11/02/16 08:51 AM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Originally Posted By: ComradeFluffy
Sidebar: Ever since the joeys came oop, Frisby and Justin's comfort level with me has gone way up. Can't explain it. They are much more at ease and less skittish about being held and handled.
You're acting like a colony member, helping to care for the young. They're probably viewing you as a freakishly large hairless glider, but useful & okay in their books.

- Hutch

:grey: Morgana (11/15)

:rbridge:
Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

The epic saga begins here!
Re: Hand Feeding Log [Re: Hutch] #1405005
11/02/16 11:19 AM
11/02/16 11:19 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
You are doing a wonderful job with the supplement feeding. Who is making sure the joeys are going to the bathroom? This is critical for them.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Hand Feeding Log [Re: TwoDog] #1405008
11/02/16 04:47 PM
11/02/16 04:47 PM
Pacific NW
TwoDog Offline OP
Glider Lover
TwoDog  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Pacific NW
Actually I have been relying on Dad for that.
I have tried the cloacal stimulation on both of them and can't seem to get any appreciable results.
But I noticed that when I hand one of them to Justin, that's the first thing he does. So, thankfully, I have been leaving it to him.

Re: Hand Feeding Log [Re: TwoDog] #1405009
11/02/16 06:06 PM
11/02/16 06:06 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Good to hear that is being taken care of by at least on of the parents.

Sugar Glider Help

Re: Hand Feeding Log [Re: TwoDog] #1405010
11/03/16 07:02 AM
11/03/16 07:02 AM
Pacific NW
TwoDog Offline OP
Glider Lover
TwoDog  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Pacific NW
Everyone at the party is naked except the hostess. She's in a long black gown, cut low in all the right places.
The meager light of the room seems to linger and shine off her body as she floats through the crowd. It dances off her--seems to radiate from her--or is the dress actually on fire, like in the film?
The beauty of the scene is enchanting--but it all falls away as she looks at me.
I dust off my hat--still smelling of the road, gunpowder, and heroism...
She approaches, her smile warms my soul. She holds her hands out to me--in them...radiating a glorious blast-furnace heat--a giant plate of...Nachos...

She walks up close and looks into my eyes. Her lips part, "WEEB!! HISS! WEEEB! WEEB! WEEB SPIT HISS!!!"

"Um..."

"WEEEB WEEB WEEB! HISS HIIS SPIT!!!" she cries louder.

And the scene dissolves..
Noooooo!

4am distress call....crying from the nest...
One joey out on the floor of the cage, but with momma...temp ok...no marks. Other joey in the bag.
Dad AWOL--Grrr. Where are you Justin, you little deadbeat? Jennifer Lawrence Naked Nacho Party dream snatched away! :-(

No one is hungry. All asleep in the bonding pouch now.
Why am I up? Something about nachos...must have nachos...

Last edited by ComradeFluffy; 11/03/16 07:08 AM.
Re: Hand Feeding Log [Re: TwoDog] #1405013
11/03/16 10:28 AM
11/03/16 10:28 AM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
:funny:

The real question is whether Justin is still alive because you love him that much or you just don't want to be on bathroom duty wink :nanana:

- Hutch

:grey: Morgana (11/15)

:rbridge:
Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

The epic saga begins here!
Re: Hand Feeding Log [Re: TwoDog] #1405022
11/03/16 02:31 PM
11/03/16 02:31 PM
Pacific NW
TwoDog Offline OP
Glider Lover
TwoDog  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Pacific NW
It's a little of both. :-)

Ok....went to the store and back with puppy milk, meal worms, and fresh fruits for mom.

Whole family back in the cage now sleeping together...
Whew

Re: Hand Feeding Log [Re: TwoDog] #1405030
11/03/16 09:41 PM
11/03/16 09:41 PM
Pacific NW
TwoDog Offline OP
Glider Lover
TwoDog  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Pacific NW
7:36 Playtime: Open the door. Justin heads for the Pub, leaving mom and the kids in the nest, but not before a big fat meelie to go.
Uncover the nest. Mom is there with both babies--nursing and caring for Aria!
Arrow is walking uncertainly around on the fabric, trying to get his new eyes dialed in.
Not disturbing them for now...getting a dose of formula ready anyway though.

Re: Hand Feeding Log [Re: TwoDog] #1405032
11/03/16 11:25 PM
11/03/16 11:25 PM
Texas
Pixel Offline
In Pouch
Pixel  Offline
In Pouch

Texas
I'm relieved that everything is going much better now with the joeys! Keep up the good work!

Re: Hand Feeding Log [Re: TwoDog] #1405034
11/04/16 05:31 AM
11/04/16 05:31 AM
Pacific NW
TwoDog Offline OP
Glider Lover
TwoDog  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Pacific NW
Hey thanks.
I am really not sure this is the way it normally goes, but I'm just winging it now trying to keep everyone fed and warm.

About 9:30 last night the crying started. I ended up with BOTH joeys and mom and dad had date night in the overhead storage. They are building something up there. I'm not sure I want to look.

Neither of the joeys had any food in their bellies so I donned my Vile Sweatshirt, cracked a new can of puppy milk, and got down to business.
(I see a beer commercial here...)
Arrow was not interested in eating, but Aria guzzled it down. Narry a drop lost. Probably .4ml.

Both joeys fell asleep in the bonding pouch until about midnight. Mom and Dad came back to the cage looking for dinner--to a wonderland of small-mammal decadence!

All their favorite never-foods, including bugs, eggs, chicken, honey, berries! Make it RAIN!!! MUHAHAHA!

Everyone gets closed in the cage--joeys in the nest.

Silence...

Check in on them shortly later to find a single big fuzzy ball of love.

3:00am...crying from the nest...

Re: Hand Feeding Log [Re: TwoDog] #1405040
11/04/16 07:33 AM
11/04/16 07:33 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
I am enjoying your story, watching it unfold.

I am sending well wishes and prayers.

This story sounds like new Mom and Dad issues? (My only experience with this would be with dogs and rabbits)

If this is their first set of babies, they may be learning as they go?

Please keep us posted. :pop:

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Hand Feeding Log [Re: TwoDog] #1405047
11/04/16 02:16 PM
11/04/16 02:16 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
I love your interrupted dream! LOL Your doing a good job human grandpa!

Kimberley
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Hand Feeding Log [Re: TwoDog] #1405048
11/04/16 02:17 PM
11/04/16 02:17 PM
Texas
Pixel Offline
In Pouch
Pixel  Offline
In Pouch

Texas
Here's a quick hand-feeding tip. Puppy milk replacer (and all animal milk replacers) in liquid form can only be safely stored in the refrigerator for about 24 hours. Buying the cans means you have to toss the can after a day and that gets expensive fast. I recommend buying the larger tubs of powdered milk replacer. These can be stored in the fridge for months and you can make small amounts of liquid formula daily.

This is something a lot of people don't realize, but it's important to offer fresh, safe food especially to such fragile young animals.

Re: Hand Feeding Log [Re: TwoDog] #1405065
11/04/16 09:48 PM
11/04/16 09:48 PM
Pacific NW
TwoDog Offline OP
Glider Lover
TwoDog  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Pacific NW
7:43 pm....
Awake...need to make coffee...crying from the nest.
The feeding is a no brainer now. She just laps it up for me.
But I think she's got an infection. Was getting ready to swab her facial cuts. She looks like she's having trouble opening one eye. Question for the veteran glider-ers out there: Advice on best way to do this? Was going to use neosporin and some toilet paper...

Re: Hand Feeding Log [Re: TwoDog] #1405067
11/04/16 10:58 PM
11/04/16 10:58 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
You need to post a picture because it's possible you are going to have to separate her from the parents. Not sure though.

You should be able to apply the neosporin with your clean finger tip. Be careful not to apply too much and more than likely the parents will lick it off.

I'm concerned about this little one and leaving her with her parents if she does in fact have an infection.

Sugar Glider Help

Re: Hand Feeding Log [Re: TwoDog] #1405068
11/04/16 11:49 PM
11/04/16 11:49 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Please post a picture, you may have to remove her from Mom and Dad, Do you know which one is chewing on her?

Do you have supplies ready to make an incubator?
This page will help you greatly: http://www.suzsugargliders.com/handraisingajoey.htm

Here is another link for you: http://www.suzsugargliders.com/helpforrejectedjoeys.htm

Kimberley

Re: Hand Feeding Log [Re: TwoDog] #1405070
11/05/16 03:03 AM
11/05/16 03:03 AM
Pacific NW
TwoDog Offline OP
Glider Lover
TwoDog  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Pacific NW
Midnight...another feeding. Her little eye is actually looking a bit better. She has it open now.

RE Incubator: I don't currently have an incubator, but collecting the parts to make it...yes from that very site. :-) I have learned everything I know about gliders from this site--or sites referred by this site. She'd already be dead if not for this site. :-)

The chewing stopped as soon as I started hand feeding.
It was the chewing that made me start the hand feedings.

No one has actually been chewed on in a while now. These are old wounds healing. Arrow had them too, but not as bad. His are nearly healed.
If it's not significantly better by Monday I will take them to the vet.
Except for the Freddy Kreuger facial, she is otherwise acting normal.

The little ones are grooming themselves now. Their fur is filling in. Both are Leu colored.

I will try and get a good face pic of Aria when they wake up next.

She's up to 13 grams now...so we are back to where we started at OOP date.

Arrow is packing it on. I have stopped weighing him for now. Haven't been feeding him either. He's looking good.

She really needs to live. :-(

Re: Hand Feeding Log [Re: TwoDog] #1405074
11/05/16 07:40 AM
11/05/16 07:40 AM
Pacific NW
TwoDog Offline OP
Glider Lover
TwoDog  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Pacific NW
6:00am Awakened by barking from the nest.
Radio is playing Sonny and Cher..."I Got You Babe"
Grab coffee cup. Cold. Something floating in it.
Start generator
Start microwave.
Stop microwave.
Put coffee in microwave.
Start microwave.
Mix formula..
Put formula in microwave
Start microwave
Test.
Scream
Let cool.
Test
Open cage.
Warm joeys...
Arrow up over 20 grams.
Aria at 14.
6:00am Awakened by barking from the nest.
Radio is playing Sonny and Cher..."I Got You Babe"

Re: Hand Feeding Log [Re: TwoDog] #1405079
11/05/16 09:48 AM
11/05/16 09:48 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Thanks for the clarification on the joeys injuries.

You have a long road ahead of you and we just want it to be a successful one.

Kimberley

Re: Hand Feeding Log [Re: TwoDog] #1405083
11/05/16 02:49 PM
11/05/16 02:49 PM
Pacific NW
TwoDog Offline OP
Glider Lover
TwoDog  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Pacific NW
Hey all! Make no mistake I appreciate all the info and help!
I wish I would have acted a little sooner and more decisively. Would have saved some wear and tear on the baby's face. :-( Her weight is going up now, she is taking formula readily.
I just hope she doesn't have any problems with that eye :-(

So...assuming Aria lives, it's time to get Justin neutered. If she does not live--I want them to be able to have one more round, and so will delay the neuter.

Who knows, Frisby may already be pregnant again.

Trying to get to a 4-6 sized colony--where no one has to leave, and the family gets to stay together forever. Happily Ever After--ACHIEVED.

...And I will train them to be a tiny basketball team.
(That's just a cover...shhhhhhh...ninjas!)

Can they lick off permanent marker? Because if the babies keep coming out snow white, I'm going to have problems telling them apart.

If some of you long timers out there could weigh in on this I would love it...

My vet is willing to work on gliders, but she doesn't get a lot of them in for neuters. (I know, a common situation.)

So I intend to tell her that I want it...this way:
1) Pom-Off neuter
2) Bathe surgical zone in antiseptic: don't shave the area.
3) Snip, tie off, done.
4) Baby needs antibiotics AND painkillers. REAL painkillers, Dr. Scrooge--the good stuff--you just cut off his manhood.
From what I have read, the above combination should be the safest.

I have an e-collar ready. Just really really hope I don't have to use it. :-(

Re: Hand Feeding Log [Re: TwoDog] #1405084
11/05/16 04:19 PM
11/05/16 04:19 PM
Texas
Pixel Offline
In Pouch
Pixel  Offline
In Pouch

Texas
Permanent marker is definitely not safe. Anything you put on the gliders will be licked off and most options are either toxic (like permanent marker) or would not last long (like cool aid or pet dyes).

I have two identical leucistic female gliders and I'm learning to tell them apart by personality. I would not consider putting any sort of markings on them. In fact, in some areas of the country people have been fined for animal cruelty for applying pet-safe dyes to dogs and cats. I don't think it's that extreme, I just don't think it's safe and realistic in the long-term.

Some gliders may prolong their next pregnancies if their current young do not leave the nest. You may run into the same partial rejection/hand feeding situation with your next babies. There is also no guarantee that any gliders, even family groups, will happily coexist as adults so plan for a situation where you may need to split the family. This is unlikely but just be prepared for the fact that reality does not often progress the way we plan especially with living creatures!

Your neutering plan sounds right to me but I'm not an expert in sugar glider neuters. I would personally prefer a pom-on but as you are housing multiple males together pom-off may be preferable. Pom-off is also definitely easier on your veterinarian.

Be respectful when you approach your vet about your neutering requests. Remember that veterinarians sacrifice much time and money to earn their degrees and many do not like to be "ordered" or "instructed" on how to do things. Approach her with your ideas and don't be afraid to ask questions, but if she performs neuters in a different but safe way remember that it is her operating room!!

Good luck with everything, especially with baby Aria!

Re: Hand Feeding Log [Re: TwoDog] #1405085
11/05/16 04:47 PM
11/05/16 04:47 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
ComeradeFluffy,

I know my vet would discuss neutering with your vet, if your vet has a laser it is so fast, just gas em down, prep the area and zip it off.

You will be able to tell your gliders apart by their personalities once the babies get past the baby stage.

You will like having a family colony.

Kimberley

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 371 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,552 TEXAS
679,069 OHIO
487,140 OKLAHOMA
432,142 UTAH
321,666 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024