Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
How do I have the USDA pull someone's license? #1203174
12/11/11 02:48 PM
12/11/11 02:48 PM

C
ContessaC
Unregistered
ContessaC
Unregistered
C

So...my stepson (Keith) is 13 years old and for school he volunteers at a local pet store in Pasco County Florida. Since I've gotten my babies he has desperately wanted one. I said no, because they are a lot work and I wouldn't know how his bio-mom would feel about me getting him a critter. (gotta play nice with the ex)

Side Note - Keith is a rare and exceptional kid. He is very caring, intelligent and responsible when coming to the welbeing and health of ALL of his pets smile When he comes to visit us for holidays he PAYS one of his little friends to care for his animals (Can you tell he's my favorite?)

ANYWAY -> He sent me pictures of the suggies at this pet store. And..what I felt was nothing SHORT of pure lava-type rage! From just what I could see in the cage he's got at least 2 young gliders who are handicapped. 1 has a strange looking tail...looks like it was partially cut off by a cheap wheel and is missing several toes! Another is missing a hind leg and several toes as well. They are ALL skinny and dirty.

How do I go about having the USDA go out there and check this guy out?

Does anyone on the board live in/near Holiday, FL so you can check this out first hand?

Keith called me yesterday SO upset...he ended up talking his mom into getting him one of the handicapped babies. Because as he said "the other suggies were mean to him" frown

What do I do? I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: How do I have the USDA pull someone's license? [Re: ] #1203183
12/11/11 03:17 PM
12/11/11 03:17 PM
Butte, Mt. USA
lilangels Offline
Glider Addict
lilangels  Offline
Glider Addict

Butte, Mt. USA
You could call the city's animal control and report the store for abuse or neglect of the gliders. The local animal control would also be able to tell you where else you can go to get the store checked into. The poor gliders frown

Connie: soon to be wife to Harold, mom to 3 children, 2 precious kitties, and my treasured gliders.
Re: How do I have the USDA pull someone's license? [Re: ] #1203185
12/11/11 03:25 PM
12/11/11 03:25 PM

C
Candycornsnake
Unregistered
Candycornsnake
Unregistered
C

For one thing why would he "voluneteer" at a pet store?
Get him to volunteer at a real charity...such as a pet rescue or nursing home.
And yes, call animal control.
Don't let anyone BUY an animal from that store...it just promotes the store to keep animals like that and makes an empty spot they will just fill with another baby who will end up in the same condition.

Re: How do I have the USDA pull someone's license? [Re: ] #1203191
12/11/11 03:38 PM
12/11/11 03:38 PM

C
ContessaC
Unregistered
ContessaC
Unregistered
C

He volunteers there for extra credit in special classes at school. I think the reason he went there is b/c he is only 13 and he can ride his bike to the store.

Re: How do I have the USDA pull someone's license? [Re: ] #1203193
12/11/11 03:41 PM
12/11/11 03:41 PM
Lower Mid-Michigan
bjve Offline
Glider Lover
bjve  Offline
Glider Lover

Lower Mid-Michigan
I think it's wonderful that he was willing and able to rescue that little one and give it a good home. Kudos to this caring young man! I hope that you are able to get the authorities to do something about the pet store!

Bobbie

Mom to 2 humans, 1 dog, 2 horses, & 12 sweet gliders

Georgie, Poppy, Jasmine & Aymee
:grey: Lily, Libby, Lils & :wfb: Levi
:leu: Luna & :grey: Zeke
:rtmo: Sheldon & :leu: Biebers

and the TRIPLETS (Yoda, Pinot, & Grigio)

www.HighGlassGliders.com

Re: How do I have the USDA pull someone's license? [Re: ] #1203202
12/11/11 04:42 PM
12/11/11 04:42 PM
Montana
roxiesmomma Offline
Joey Member
roxiesmomma  Offline
Joey Member

Montana
Originally Posted By: Candycornsnake
For one thing why would he "voluneteer" at a pet store?
Get him to volunteer at a real charity...such as a pet rescue or nursing home.
And yes, call animal control.
Don't let anyone BUY an animal from that store...it just promotes the store to keep animals like that and makes an empty spot they will just fill with another baby who will end up in the same condition.

Why would it matter wear a person volunteers at? I think it's great at his age he is thinking of someone else!

:bb: Roxy
:bb: Zoey
:bb: Raji
Re: How do I have the USDA pull someone's license? [Re: ] #1203213
12/11/11 05:29 PM
12/11/11 05:29 PM

C
ContessaC
Unregistered
ContessaC
Unregistered
C

My husband and I try to encourage all of our children to follow their hearts...and in their hearts there should ALWAYS be room to love another person/animal.

Though - I do not see how our parenting style has anything to do with the problem at hand...FYI - all of the children volunteer in some aspect.

My 4 year old son, husband and I - volunteer at a local deaf school as well as United Way (where I am a director of local incentive)

Vinny (18) volunteers with the Wounded Warrior project here in Jacksonville

Ashley (17) Volunteers at a local daycare for foster children and low income families

The twins Keith/Lisa (13) - Pet Store (Mr. Weebies)

Re: How do I have the USDA pull someone's license? [Re: ] #1203219
12/11/11 05:43 PM
12/11/11 05:43 PM
Maine
IslandGliders Offline
Glider Addict
IslandGliders  Offline
Glider Addict

Maine
I can kind of see where Candycornsnake, though blunt, is coming from with her comment. I got really upset when I found out a semi-local pet store was looking for "volunteers" to walk/clean up after their puppy mill puppies so that they could maximize profits (read: they didn't have to hire another set of hands). I just found that so very LOW of them. They are so scummy! Those well-meaning people could give their time and effort to a shelter instead of a for-profit business that is too cheap to hire real employees, but this pet store kept their puppies in such sad conditions you know someone was guilted into volunteering. frown

Anyway, to get back on-topic, whenever you see any kind of animal abuse a good place to start is your local Humane Society. They will have the info/phone numbers that you need. Thank you for reporting this! You have a good heart!

Re: How do I have the USDA pull someone's license? [Re: ] #1203277
12/11/11 07:39 PM
12/11/11 07:39 PM
kentucky
ssdreamsicles Offline
Glider Slave
ssdreamsicles  Offline
Glider Slave

kentucky
You should be very proud of your step son. Children dont understand that some places may have hidden motives for accepting help from people. All's he knows is he is helping out on his free time. He is a good boy. Sadly there are places out there that take advantage of free help.

Is there anyway his mom would let him go back for the other glider? He may have only been picking on the other glider due to stress and poor care. Once out of that situation and in a proper home with proper cage and diet they may be just fine. Im very glad nock on wood so far non of our pet stores have gliders. Sadly we do have a mill breeder at the flea markets though.

Re: How do I have the USDA pull someone's license? [Re: ] #1203278
12/11/11 07:41 PM
12/11/11 07:41 PM
conway south carolina/ us
heidi Offline
Glider Slave
heidi  Offline
Glider Slave

thank you for instilling humanity into your children ..i think its wonderfull that you all volunter...

as far as the glider boy dose he have questions???dose he have food???dose he have glider supplies???

if you pm me your addy i will be more than happy to send some info,supplies..and help anyway i can...has he taken the injured glider to the vets???

I was not volintering but was at a pet store and there was a glider that got out of its cage and into a bird cage ..the birds where picking on her ..yep this is my little mazu...shes healthy now..still pouch protective 2 years latter. but get her out of the pouch and shees so sweet..so good luck with your new friend....

"promise me you'll always remeber:you're braver than you believe,and stronger than you seem,and smarter than you think" christopher robin to pooh
Re: How do I have the USDA pull someone's license? [Re: ] #1203287
12/11/11 08:00 PM
12/11/11 08:00 PM
heidi Offline
Glider Slave
heidi  Offline
Glider Slave

"promise me you'll always remeber:you're braver than you believe,and stronger than you seem,and smarter than you think" christopher robin to pooh
Re: How do I have the USDA pull someone's license? [Re: ] #1203289
12/11/11 08:05 PM
12/11/11 08:05 PM

C
Candycornsnake
Unregistered
Candycornsnake
Unregistered
C

Yeah, sorry I didn't mean to come across as rude. But pet stores are for profit..and I can't imagine volunteering for Walmart for example. I would particularly stop him from volunteering at a place that treats it's animals poorly. I am sure they probably don't screen new homes either. I think it would set a better example for your children to volunteer for a charitable reason instead of just adding to the greed of a bad pet store.

Re: How do I have the USDA pull someone's license? [Re: ] #1203294
12/11/11 08:20 PM
12/11/11 08:20 PM
Finally in the Mountains!
sitkasmom Offline
Glider Addict
sitkasmom  Offline
Glider Addict

God might have wanted him to volunteer at that store to help the animals there. Maybe he was sent there to take the photos of the animals to get people involved in stopping the abuse?

Not trying to preach. Just my point of view.

Kudos to your young man for having the courage to take home a handicapped animal (much less a suggie).

I know there are several people here with A LOT of experience with disabled/special needs gliders that will be more than willing to help him care for the little guy.

I hope he can get the other one and bring it home, too.

You should email those photos to the ASPCA and the Humane Society and the Suggie Rescue Leagues in your area. Maybe he can take photos of the other animals and their conditions as well...

"Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy."

Two Boys
Sitka,
Pudge

Monkeys:
Nanuk, Dayz & Elfie
MudBug & Tista
Teemo & Rune (Cyndra gangel )
Lils, Razz & Nut

Re: How do I have the USDA pull someone's license? [Re: sitkasmom] #1203388
12/12/11 12:07 AM
12/12/11 12:07 AM
Montana
roxiesmomma Offline
Joey Member
roxiesmomma  Offline
Joey Member

Montana
Originally Posted By: sitkasmom
God might have wanted him to volunteer at that store to help the animals there. Maybe he was sent there to take the photos of the animals to get people involved in stopping the abuse?

Not trying to preach. Just my point of view.

Kudos to your young man for having the courage to take home a handicapped animal (much less a suggie).

I know there are several people here with A LOT of experience with disabled/special needs gliders that will be more than willing to help him care for the little guy.

I hope he can get the other one and bring it home, too.

You should email those photos to the ASPCA and the Humane Society and the Suggie Rescue Leagues in your area. Maybe he can take photos of the other animals and their conditions as well...

Agree 100% jump

:bb: Roxy
:bb: Zoey
:bb: Raji
Re: How do I have the USDA pull someone's license? [Re: ] #1203934
12/13/11 11:06 AM
12/13/11 11:06 AM
heidi Offline
Glider Slave
heidi  Offline
Glider Slave

any update on this suggie??any updates on the pet store? how is the boy hero doing?????

Re: How do I have the USDA pull someone's license? [Re: ] #1206799
12/20/11 12:54 AM
12/20/11 12:54 AM

C
ContessaC
Unregistered
ContessaC
Unregistered
C

Update!!! Today @ about 3:30 pm

The pet store was closed! It was found to be unfit for animals! There was feces in food bowls - sick animals in the back just set to die and no water in several cages.

Apparently this has not been the 1st strike against them.

I am very proud of my son, Keith. He took the lead when others older and "wiser" than him may have walked away!

His suggie who he has named Nemo LOVES his new home. Dori is still adapting to the new plush environment. I think they will both be more happy when Keith is able to get them a wheel and some more toys.

I have no idea what's happening to the pet store owner - but as of right now...the store is shut down and animal control and local shelters are being asked to help.

Re: How do I have the USDA pull someone's license? [Re: ] #1206929
12/20/11 12:05 PM
12/20/11 12:05 PM
sitkasmom Offline
Glider Addict
sitkasmom  Offline
Glider Addict

That is wonderful news! Was he able to get both of the suggies?

God does work in mysterious ways. Bless your young man.

He saved all of those animals! He is a Hero!!

I am sending you a PM...

"Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy."

Two Boys
Sitka,
Pudge

Monkeys:
Nanuk, Dayz & Elfie
MudBug & Tista
Lils, Razz & Nut

Re: How do I have the USDA pull someone's license? [Re: ] #1206984
12/20/11 03:31 PM
12/20/11 03:31 PM
Topeka, Ks
sugmama77 Offline
Joey Member
sugmama77  Offline
Joey Member

Topeka, Ks
YAY KEITH! What a great son you have there. Those animals have got to be rejoicing that their now in a good place and can get the kind of love they need! Glad they got shut down so your son can see that when you help/stand up for others (being animals or people) positive things will happen, and not always get over looked. If I was closer I would shake this young mans hand, maybe you can for me!

Angela
Mom of Gizmo, Daisy, Roo, Paco and Flurry
:grey: :grey: :grey: :grey: :leu:
Re: How do I have the USDA pull someone's license? [Re: ] #1206994
12/20/11 03:51 PM
12/20/11 03:51 PM
Brooksville, Florida
SugarBattyPatty Offline
Glider Guardian
SugarBattyPatty  Offline
Glider Guardian

Brooksville, Florida
Please tell us he was able to get BOth of those babies out of there. I hope they press BIG charges against those owners,. I am on FIIIIIRE. I can't imagine anyone leaving a animal to die. At least have the humanity to end it's life if it has nothing to do but suffer until it dies and there is no other way to help it. mad

SugarBattyPatty
AKA Pat
Mommy to: Sparky :wfb: and Precious :wfb:
Gizmo :wfb:

There is no sin in being ignorant, there is in remaining ignorant.
Re: How do I have the USDA pull someone's license? [Re: SugarBattyPatty] #1207020
12/20/11 04:48 PM
12/20/11 04:48 PM
sitkasmom Offline
Glider Addict
sitkasmom  Offline
Glider Addict

I believe he did get both of them. They are named Nemo and Dori (I love those names, and I love that movie smile ). :lshower:

I will as Santa to bring them some new toys. :santa:

Two Boys
Sitka,
Pudge

Monkeys:
Nanuk, Dayz & Elfie
MudBug & Tista
Lils, Razz & Nut

Re: How do I have the USDA pull someone's license? [Re: ] #1207029
12/20/11 05:11 PM
12/20/11 05:11 PM
Phoenix AZ
C
chattrbabe Offline
Glider Addict
chattrbabe  Offline
Glider Addict
C

Phoenix AZ
That is very good news! jump

Kudos to him!!!! Only the truly biggest hearts will care for another being, no matter their condition. Keith has proved this to be true! :lshower:

Ash
Re: How do I have the USDA pull someone's license? [Re: ] #1207047
12/20/11 06:00 PM
12/20/11 06:00 PM
heidi Offline
Glider Slave
heidi  Offline
Glider Slave

keith pm me....I have a box just for you...toy making supplies,fleese...Iam so proud of you...if I get an extra wheel its yours...god bless you...I hope you can read these posts... I hope you know what a hero you are...thank god for being a voice for all those babys who had none god blesss

Re: How do I have the USDA pull someone's license? [Re: ] #1207102
12/20/11 08:25 PM
12/20/11 08:25 PM
Dutchess County, NY
Biscuit Offline
Glider Guardian
Biscuit  Offline
Glider Guardian

Dutchess County, NY
What awesome news! I am sooo incredibly happy to hear this!!! You saved the lives of all those animals and stopped the maltreatment of future animals to that store!!!

jump clap :ghug:

What a happy ending!

p.s. - I love finding nemo too! :agreed:

Last edited by Biscuit; 12/20/11 08:26 PM.

~ Laurie ~
Mother to

:wfb: Topanga, :grey: Biscuit, Toby, :leu: Thor & :plat: Akiah [Kiah]

www.lauriessugglettes.weebly.com

gangel My Lost Loves, Rascal, March 30, 2012, Bugaboo, Sept 7, 2012 & Momma, Feb 27, 2013

Re: How do I have the USDA pull someone's license? [Re: ] #1207166
12/20/11 10:54 PM
12/20/11 10:54 PM
Butte, Mt. USA
lilangels Offline
Glider Addict
lilangels  Offline
Glider Addict

Butte, Mt. USA
Contessa if you can pm me Keith's address I would like to be able to send him some stuff for his new gliders. I make cage sets and toys and would love to know some of my stuff could help these poor little gliders and a very brave young man who saved them.

Connie: soon to be wife to Harold, mom to 3 children, 2 precious kitties, and my treasured gliders.
Re: How do I have the USDA pull someone's license? [Re: ] #1207310
12/21/11 10:16 AM
12/21/11 10:16 AM

N
newfuzzyflyermom
Unregistered
newfuzzyflyermom
Unregistered
N

Ohhhhh, I love a happy ending!

Re: How do I have the USDA pull someone's license? [Re: ] #1208452
12/24/11 03:22 PM
12/24/11 03:22 PM

C
ContessaC
Unregistered
ContessaC
Unregistered
C

Update:

The pet store was indeed shut down. Most of the animals were sorted out and with the help of local (and not-so local) shelters all healthy gliders and animals were given a safe temporary home. Last I heard over 4 shelters were called to the battle lines! This store was PACKED with animals!

To my knowledge over a dozen various animals needed to be put down for declined health. (GRR!) One of Nemo's "friends" had to have an emergency neutering as a WIRE scratched off one of his testicles to the point where it was dangling! Gross, I know...but this new baby has already found a home! smile The lady who runs the shelter is keeping him.

Nemo and Dori are doing well. I would like to thank all of the well wishes and encouragement from fellow glider slaves. Keith has been so happy! Knowing he did something that made a difference and is being recognized for it.

Nemo and Dori were recently put on HPW complete diet and are happily enjoying the non-pellet diet - though it has my wallet running for the hills! LOL Though a Glider Santa did contribute 500 mealies that we got in the mail! Thank you SO SO much! They LOVED them!!!!!

I'm trying to post pictures of these 2 but they are still very shy, and don't like to stay still for the camera!

More to come...prayers and well wishes always welcome!

Re: How do I have the USDA pull someone's license? [Re: ] #1208457
12/24/11 03:55 PM
12/24/11 03:55 PM

Y
Yuru
Unregistered
Yuru
Unregistered
Y

Woo, just read this whole story.

I'm so very glad to hear it all worked out and your boy is a real hero to animals everywhere.

Not to mention he got suggies out of the deal and that rocks! :thumb2:

Re: How do I have the USDA pull someone's license? [Re: ] #1209473
12/28/11 12:45 PM
12/28/11 12:45 PM
Kentucky
SecretSquirrel Offline
Glider Explorer
SecretSquirrel  Offline
Glider Explorer

Kentucky
This all made me tear up (and let me tell you that is no easy feat). I am so amazed at how brave and caring a young man he is and I hope that my kids turn out to be at least half how great he is. If you'll pm me his address I'd like to send him some things for them as well (though it may take me a bit to get it ready so please don't have him waiting by the mail). I am so amazed with him, I know I'm repeating myself but it doesn't make it any less true. I'm happy that most of the animals have been placed and shedding tears for the ones who weren't. Most of all my heart hurts that a pet store who someone with no soul opened to continue the suffering of animals was allowed to remain open as long as it had with adults coming through and seeing those conditions and doing nothing. I hope Keith realizes how big of an inspiration he is to the rest of us to stay on a good path and do the right thing regardless of the cost to us.

:lshower: Glamorous Gliders :lshower:

Re: How do I have the USDA pull someone's license? [Re: ] #1210057
12/30/11 01:57 AM
12/30/11 01:57 AM
Maryland
M
Mikini Offline
Out of Pouch
Mikini  Offline
Out of Pouch
M

Maryland
Beautiful story and Congrats. I agree, he was put in the right place at the right time to do a lot of good. We all need to be on the lookout for places like this.

Amy

Mom to Tabby, Nathan
:grey: = Burnie and Hero
:grey: = Princess :bb: = Persimmon (Black Face)
:rtmo: = Tringle
:kitty: = Russell, Oreo, Tigress
Re: How do I have the USDA pull someone's license? [Re: ] #1210675
01/01/12 01:08 AM
01/01/12 01:08 AM

C
ContessaC
Unregistered
ContessaC
Unregistered
C

Update: Thank you everyone for opening your hearts and thoughts toward my stepson. As I previously said, Keith is a remarkable young man. I wouldn't suggest for most 13 year olds to take on the HEFTY responsibility of being a glider care giver. With the help of his mother (my hubby's ex-wife)he is keeping sure to clean the cages everyday and all toys.

I have received a few packages of toy making supplies from Santa's Glider Elves and would like so much to say Thank You. Next weekend I will be driving to the Tampa Bay Area and giving him all the sent items.

I have been made aware recently of some confusion that should be cleared up. Keith is my stepson and lives with his mother full-time in Pasco County. My husband and I live with our other children in the Jacksonville area. For all of you who would like to send things to my little boy wonder please send them directly to me, why? Well...if just seems like a bad idea to give a kid's address out over the internet...too many wack jobs out there.

If any one has any questions and/or concerns please contact me via PM or feel free to call (I don't really sleep 352-835-1729)

Oh - and HAPPY NEW YEAR@

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 356 guests, and 77 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,576 TEXAS
679,076 OHIO
487,156 OKLAHOMA
432,161 UTAH
321,685 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024