GliderCENTRAL

Glider Garden™

Posted By: GliderNursery

Glider Garden™ - 04/29/14 11:37 PM

Glider Nursery is proud to announce the newest page of our website! The Glider Garden™ (Sorry, there are no plants or supplies available for sale. Please check your local nursery.)

Would you like to have fresh flowers or tree branches for your gliders?

The Glider Garden™ will provide you a listing of safe, edible flowers for your sugar gliders. Additionally, we will offer garden plans so you can plant your very own Glider Garden™.

• Did you know that Sugar Gliders are naturally pollinators, just like bees?
  • Did you know that Sugar Gliders consume seasonal flowers as part of their primary diet?

Why not add some nature to your cage?
Posted By: Terry

Re: Glider Garden™ - 04/30/14 01:05 AM

That is pretty awesome! About how much and how often should these flowers be offered? Would you offer a few daily?

I can't have my own garden right now where I currently live, but hoping to have a place of my own one day (sooner the better) and I'm sure I can get several gardens going, including one for my gliders.
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: Glider Garden™ - 04/30/14 01:07 AM

I would treat them as you would any other treat. Since we don't use flowers as a major portion of their diet, these would just be seasonal treats for them. wink
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: Glider Garden™ - 04/30/14 04:52 AM

I used to dry flowers for use in the "off" season. Using a dehydrator. The flowers kept very well and the gliders LOVE them. Havent done it in a couple years though as my garden has been neglected frown maybe I need to tend to it this year.
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: Glider Garden™ - 04/30/14 06:29 PM

I used to keep a couple of hybiscus trees in my house. It bloomed year round so my kids got flowers from it regularly. But the trees around the house grew too high, so I didn't get enough sun to keep them alive anymore. tounge

Mine have liked different kinds of flowers - some liked the hybiscus, some like magnolia, some like rose, some violet, one used to like orchid. There is a great post here about edible flowers, as well.

This is a nice idea! A garden just for your gliders...well, and the human I guess, because it will be pretty and useful! smile
Posted By: BCChins

Re: Glider Garden™ - 04/30/14 06:58 PM

JillMarie Could you share on here how you dehydrated them? It would be a great help and I would love to try this. How did you store them? How did you know they were dry enough?

Thank You
Posted By: josefine

Re: Glider Garden™ - 04/30/14 11:51 PM

I would love to give mine lilacs, as I have quite a few,
Larry said that we sprayed the yard w/insect stuff last year, so they wouldn't be safe for them to eat.
I didn't think it would harm them b/c this was done last summer. So, could I feed them the lilacs that had the ground around them sprayed?
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: Glider Garden™ - 05/01/14 04:33 AM

Originally Posted By: josefine
So, could I feed them the lilacs that had the ground around them sprayed?

Not sure about this. Depends on whether or not it was a systemic chemical. Some chemicals will be absorbed by the plant and still be an issue to anything eating the plant. I probably wouldnt use them, at least for a couple years after spraying. I use NO chemicals in my yard, but my neighbor sprayed around the bottom of my rose bush (it borders her property)and all along one side of her yard so now all the bushes (about 20 rose of sharon)on that side I deem as unusable for gliders frown

Originally Posted By: BCChins
JillMarie You share on here how you dehydrated them on here? It would be a great help and I would love to try this. How did you store them? How did you know they were dry enough?

Thank You

I dont remember the setting I used, I am sure you can do some google searches, or check the instructions that come with your dehydrator. I would pick the flowers early in the day, but after the dew has dried. Keep a very short stem. Lay them in a single layer, not touching in the dehydrator. They are done when they are "crispy" and to store use an airtight container. ziplock bags work, but they can get easily crushed, so a glass or plastic container works better. Store in a cabinet so the colors dont fade.

I have dried magnolia, roses (wild ones), pansies, violas, honeysuckle, rose of sharon, money plant, dandelion, to name a few.
Posted By: yiyo

Re: Glider Garden™ - 05/01/14 12:00 PM

I grow flowers every year for my gliders grin They LOVE them and tear them to pieces!

Great idea! Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Glider Garden™ - 05/01/14 12:07 PM

Here is a very helpful article for you to read if you are considering harvesting your own flowers.

A Consumers Guide to Harvesting your own edible flowers
Posted By: BCChins

Re: Glider Garden™ - 05/04/14 03:49 PM

Are Lilac branches safe to give?
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Glider Garden™ - 05/04/14 05:15 PM

Quote:
Lilac (Syringa) 1

Lilac shows to be non toxic :thumb2:

Here is your list wink
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL