GliderCENTRAL

How do you sterilize your reptariums?

Posted By: sandbat

How do you sterilize your reptariums? - 11/24/09 05:26 AM

Hi guys,

How do you sterilize your repts, and what do you use? How much bleach should I use in a standard washing machine?
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: How do you sterilize your reptariums? - 11/24/09 11:53 AM

Why would you need to sterilize your reptarium? Have your gliders had a recent bout with parasites? If not, then there would be no need to do anything beyond regular washing. If so, then I would recommend washing the cover in HOT water with no more than 1/4 cup of bleach. Bleach is going to break down the mesh more quickly than normal, so it should not be used very often unless absolutely necessary. Also, the hot water may cause the cover to shrink some. I have never had to sterilize one of my rept covers, so I'm not sure what the immediate effects would be. Personally, if I was dealing with the necessity of sterilizing after a bout with parasites, I would probably just order a brand new cover... they're relatively inexpensive.
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: How do you sterilize your reptariums? - 11/26/09 12:14 AM

Be aware that if you use hot water, as Suz said above, the cover will likely shrink (and maybe considerably). If you made your own rept frame, you can cut down the poles to compensate, but if you are using a factory frame, you could pop the zipper if you tried to force it to fit. Make sure you have at least one back up cover in case you can't get it on.
Posted By: Tish84

Re: How do you sterilize your reptariums? - 12/11/09 04:35 PM

You can use a steamer to sterilize a rept.
Posted By: rdobbie23

Re: How do you sterilize your reptariums? - 12/11/09 05:35 PM

If you use the steamer, I suggest keeping it on the frame as well to prevent any shrinking. And like Suz said, unless you had parasites, I would just was it with cold water and your regular laundry detergent. Best of luck!
© 2021 GliderCENTRAL