GliderCENTRAL

2 vs 1 Starters

Posted By: mraamohamed

2 vs 1 Starters - 06/24/21 11:11 AM

Hello everyone, I am about to be a new parent, and just want to know how important is it to start off with 2 vs 1 glider. This is all new to me, I know they have to be in pairs, but I am just starting out so a) should I wait to get two at one time, and b) my plan was to start with 1 and 5 or 6 months (save money) get a 2nd.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: 2 vs 1 Starters - 06/24/21 01:23 PM

There are several things to consider.

First, gliders are nocturnal and sleep about 18- 20 hours a day.. in those hours they will normally wake up and explore, and play. If they are single, they have no one to cuddle with while sleeping/napping. And no one to play with or keep them company at night. This can be stressful ans cause them to overgroom. Single gliders need extra attention and a lot of things to do.

A bonded pair would be ideal. When you get one glider, wait and get another, there should be a 30 day quarantine along with vet checks and fecals to check for parasites.

There is also the consideration of financial responsibility. Gliders can get sick and go downhill quickly. They hide sickness very well. It would be in the gliders' best interest to wait for a pair, have a vet fund in place, along with the necessities like a cage food, pouches and toys(including a glider safe
Posted By: Feather

Re: 2 vs 1 Starters - 06/26/21 04:36 AM

I agree with what Dawn said. Plus gliders learn from each other and sometimes it makes bonding go smoother.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL