GliderCENTRAL

Bonding time - Together or individual?

Posted By: Suggie223

Bonding time - Together or individual? - 04/25/21 10:53 PM

Hello,
I am a newbie and I just took on 2 different sets of sugar gliders that I want to make sure I’m doing everything correctly for. I have 2 critter nation cages. One of them has 2 males and a female and was told that they have been together just fine for their 2 years of life. In the other cage, I have 2 females.

I am trying to learn about bonding with them. I was given a few bonding bags to carry around. Do I spend time with the group of 3 all together? Do I take them out individually? What would be the best way to go about it?

Also, how much time per day should be spent with each group? I want to make sure I’m doing everything that is best for them.

Thank you
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Bonding time - Together or individual? - 04/26/21 11:53 AM

Are the males neutered?
Posted By: Suggie223

Re: Bonding time - Together or individual? - 04/26/21 01:43 PM

Not yet. In fact, they told me that the female has 2 joeys in her pouch. The males will be getting neutered shortly. I asked about that because I thought 2 intact males would be aggressive with a female in the cage, but she assured me that they are “besties” and so far it seems they really are. All 3 are cuddled up together all the time...no squabbles. They are 2 years old according to the previous owner. I know the dynamic can change at any time though.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Bonding time - Together or individual? - 04/26/21 02:42 PM

The colony of 3 I would get them neutered asap. With females in the other colony, could cause problems as they go into heat. The unaltered males will try to get to them. It could cause problems for the female with joeys as well.

The 2 colonies should be in quarantine from each other for 30 days. Vet checks for all as well.

So to answer your question, I would wash hands between cages, wait for joeys to be weaned at least before starting intros. The males getting neutered at the very top of "To do" list.

You can do bonding time two females at this point. But the colony of three should wait until the joeys are weaned, I wouldn't do anything as far as you bonding with them. Gliders are very protective of their young and may dispatch them if mom or dad are over stressed. You may want to get a Joey rejection kit just in case.

As far as getting the colonies together, neuter males, wean joeys, neuter them if there are any males, and then start from there. Depending on when they become officially out of pouch (OOP), it will be 8- 12 weeks after that before you can officially work on getting the whole colony together. smile

We can help you through this, one step at a time.

In the meantime, be sure to keep the colonies as far apart as possible. Otherwise Momma will be too stressed to raise her young.

I hope this was helpful, and please ask any questions you may have. smile
Posted By: Feather

Re: Bonding time - Together or individual? - 04/28/21 01:27 AM

Dawn has given you great information.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL