GliderCENTRAL

Finding a new cagemate HELP

Posted By: Drahgo

Finding a new cagemate HELP - 06/13/19 03:06 PM

Hello everyone, I am doing this post on behalf of my girlfriend's sugar gliders. She has a pair of lovely sugar gliders, Anna and Elsa, unfortunately, Anna passed away last night due to unknown reasons which pain me to type this up but this is for the benefits of Elsa. We are planning to bring Elsa to the vets to make sure she's perfectly fine, whilst also trying to find her a new cage mate to reduce the stress and loneliness she must feel. The problem is that even though we are planning to find a new cage mate, we can't get another cage for the new glider due to my girlfriend's mother being rather uncomfortable with that idea of having so many cages. I was wondering if Sugar gliders would be okay living in a decent sized travel bag left next to Elsa's cage for a couple of days to hopefully make them use to each other's scents? I am inexperienced so I wanted to ask people's thoughts and opinions on this matter.

Thank you!
Posted By: wvglidermomma

Re: Finding a new cagemate HELP - 06/13/19 05:51 PM

When I got my two new girls, I kept them in a fairly large travel cage for a week (just long enough to adjust and get through introductions) before putting them with my others. All of my babies were less than 5 months OOP, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference either.
Posted By: Xeno

Re: Finding a new cagemate HELP - 06/13/19 07:57 PM

You should be okay as long as the intros do not take too long. I would make sure the new glider gets play time however you do that.
Posted By: JazEmber

Re: Finding a new cagemate HELP - 06/13/19 09:53 PM

Check on Facebook on the glider groups, theres always alot of gliders needing new homes.
Posted By: JazEmber

Re: Finding a new cagemate HELP - 06/13/19 09:55 PM

I've heard alot about travel cages being better than large cages when bringing a new glider home, not too much room to run away to help them be in closer contact with you or other gliders. My opinion (new to gliders again but have had gliders in the past) they would benefit from a smaller cage at first.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Finding a new cagemate HELP - 06/14/19 03:04 AM

Welcome to GliderCENTRAL!

You have been given some good information. A pop up dog kennel works great and it folds down for storage.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL