GliderCENTRAL

Toy Making Ideas!!!

Posted By: kcanmllvr

Toy Making Ideas!!! - 10/28/14 02:22 AM

I've gone through tons of threads and pinterest posts about making toys for my girls.
I know there are some creative people here so give me your best ideas: old ideas, new ideas, just all the ideas!
It'll be an idea party! lol
I've got a toy-making block in my mind right now and just can't come up with anything new, but I have tons of supplies lol.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Toy Making Ideas!!! - 10/28/14 12:31 PM

The first toy I made was a covered toilet roll. Fiona is small, so she fits. I covered the outside with cotton cloth, and the inside with fleece. All done with hot glue gun. Then I cut dowels down and hot glued to each side for stability. She crawls through it and uses it as a launching pad to jump into her wheel.
I just found a bigger cardboard roll, and I plan to make a bigger one when she grows.
Posted By: yiyo

Re: Toy Making Ideas!!! - 10/28/14 01:00 PM

This thread is kind of old so a lot of the pictures are missing but there are still some good ones in there: DO IT YOURSELF TOYS
Posted By: Terry

Re: Toy Making Ideas!!! - 10/28/14 10:19 PM

I'll help get the party started

A couple I made last year for Halloween.

Sadly, I've seen several items I could have made more Halloween toys for this year, but I decided to wait getting them, maybe next year.

The toy on left side of this bottom photo is the same toy with cascading fleece added in the top photo. I made several toys interchangeable, so I can combine different toys for variety of size and appearance.
Posted By: Lauraownedby2

Re: Toy Making Ideas!!! - 10/30/14 06:17 PM

Sorry to bud in I have a question about toy making. Is it safe to use like velcro?

Re: Toy Making Ideas!!! - 10/30/14 06:43 PM

I personally wouldn't use any velcro where they'd have access to it, at least unsupervised. I'm not sure if it's safe, and when in doubt, I don't use.

Hopefully someone who knows for sure will answer here for you.

Re: Toy Making Ideas!!! - 10/30/14 06:48 PM

Well my idea is taking a halloween bucket and cut out some wholes and connect the wholes by legs and arms of some baby clothes I have (make tunnels. The velcro was just to hold the fabric down inside but would hot glue or super glue work better?
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: Toy Making Ideas!!! - 10/30/14 10:50 PM

No, velcro isn't safe. Their nails and teeth could very easily get caught in the loops.

I also wouldn't use hot glue (or glue of any kind). I wouldn't risk having them chew and possibly ingest the glue.

You may be better off drilling holes around the "arm hole" and use fleece strips to tie the "sleeves" on. That would be a much safer idea. I'm sure if you are creative, you'll find a better looking way to do it than my suggestion. wink
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: Toy Making Ideas!!! - 10/30/14 11:46 PM

Quote:
wholes by legs and arms of some baby clothes I have

I would be very careful using ANY type of clothing in the cage.

Most clothing has over cast seams with long, somewhat loose, stitching that can snag a glider's nails especially if you are using narrow sleeves of baby clothes for the glider to crawl through. A glider might get caught in the stitching at night while you are sleeping and not available to free him. Gliders have chewed a toe or even a paw off to free themselves from an entanglement.

A safer option would be to machine stitch some small tunnels made of fleece with very tight straight stitching that will embed in the fleece and reduce the chance of the glider's nails getting caught.

Re: Toy Making Ideas!!! - 10/31/14 01:19 AM

Good catch Candy. I wasn't thinking...guess I was thinking they were using fleece to make the arms/legs.

Re: Toy Making Ideas!!! - 10/31/14 01:42 AM

Yeah it was fleece clothing or flannel. Maybe I will just use like water elbows and stuff like that and connect with the links?

Re: Toy Making Ideas!!! - 10/31/14 02:34 AM

That would be a safe option. wink

Re: Toy Making Ideas!!! - 11/11/14 09:46 PM

I whipped this toy up today, it needs to be washed prior to placing in the cage, but I was thinking of adding some straws to the other ball or both instead of treat cups.

The treat cups are those little party favor "ball in cup" toys. I have some that I've shortened to use for licky treats, but thinking fruit or solid treats could be used in the longer ones.

Re: Toy Making Ideas!!! - 11/12/14 06:31 PM

I'd leave the foraging cups and add straws to it. Why not keep it a foraging toy and add more fun to it? smile

Re: Toy Making Ideas!!! - 11/12/14 06:51 PM

Ok, it's been washed, I'm going to play around with some ideas, see how to make it more interesting and fun for the brats.

I currently have two forage toys in the cage now, one being a cup holding style, but thinking of either swapping one out or move stuff around again.

Lol, I've had some extra time on my hands, (but hopefully will be working again within the next couple of weeks) I've been switching things up and messing with their cage a lot lately, more than usual and I think I'm annoying them.

Re: Toy Making Ideas!!! - 11/12/14 10:30 PM

This is all I got so far, at least this time around. I guess the beauty of the toy is it's changeable, lol.

I was thinking of using links on it and dangling stuff, then went with the curly straws for now. I'm not sure if I like how it's hanging though, I did remove the other forage toy and cups from the other cup holder.
Posted By: Beki516

Re: Toy Making Ideas!!! - 11/16/14 08:07 PM

Are beads popular with sugar gliders? I want to start making them more toys, so I'm looking for ideas. What do you string the beads on? Also, where do you get those wave straw things?
Posted By: Feather

Re: Toy Making Ideas!!! - 11/17/14 12:41 AM

A lot of people use pony beads when making their toys. I have found that Sghetti string is better than Rex lace. The knots stay tied with the Sghetti string whereas I have had gliders untie the knots in the Rex lace.

A lot of people get a twirlie cutter for cutting straws and then bind the cut straws together and put them on toys.

When purchasing beads stay away from any that have a finish that could be scratched off, not glider safe.

Re: Toy Making Ideas!!! - 11/17/14 01:50 AM

Awesome, thanks Feather!
Posted By: BCChins

Re: Toy Making Ideas!!! - 11/17/14 01:08 PM

Some where on here is 2 threads on making your own toys. You may have to dig back a year or two to find them.

If you find them post the link please.

Re: Toy Making Ideas!!! - 11/17/14 02:14 PM

I believe the links to those threads have already been posted, they are older and the majority of them have photos removed, there are still a few left though.

You can do a search on the internet as well, I usually "google" a lot of topics and sometimes just go directly to youtube. They'll have videos for toys and also fleece cage accessories.

I'm under the impression that the OP here would like to have a collection of either descriptions on toys, and how they're made or photos of home-made toys to help give her ideas and inspirations.

Re: Toy Making Ideas!!! - 11/17/14 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Feather
A lot of people get a twirlie cutter for cutting straws and then bind the cut straws together and put them on toys.

Where can I get one of these (aside from fast-track, please)?

Re: Toy Making Ideas!!! - 11/17/14 06:36 PM

You can also use a standard pencil sharpener (what I use), the manual type. You can pick them up cheap, but the better quality the better the results and longer use most likely. Also the amount of pressure will determine how spirally they'll be, to slow will be wider spiraled and too fast will be to narrow spiraled, you want to find a happy medium for optimal spiraling (to thin is easily torn and too thick is not as flexible). Using the special tool made available by some vendors I believe has a crank mechanism or something that controls that for you, but I've had no experience with them to give any detail on them.
Posted By: Dallie

Re: Toy Making Ideas!!! - 11/28/14 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Lauraownedby2
Sorry to bud in I have a question about toy making. Is it safe to use like velcro?

Velcro is not a safe choice, it has "lots" of little loops that toenails can get caught in.

Re: Toy Making Ideas!!! - 11/29/14 12:48 AM

:agreed:

Re: Toy Making Ideas!!! - 12/06/14 09:05 PM

New toy I made the other night with a fly swatter and bracelets. Also added beads for embellishment with rex-lace. Can use to hang reset or foraging accessories.

Currently I'm using it for reset, they have three foragers and now three reset toys in there. Also, they have a several other toys in there, I kind of went crazy giving them options due to them being in their smaller vacation habitat for over a week. I just got them in their regular cage Tuesday eve, and have been adding something or changing something every day, lol. What a suck-up I am.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL