GliderCENTRAL

Pitbull biter needs advice/help

Posted By: Anonymous

Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/05/07 03:54 AM

I have had Buffy for almost 2 years. She came to me from a rescue home that said she was unadoptable and no one would want her, she has never been tame. She has a cage mate (a neutered male) that is just as sweet as can be. At the time, I took in quite a few gliders from this rescue home and I have done all the bonding techniques, tent time daily, absolutely everything that is suggested to do, including taking the bites. All the gliders have really come around except for Buffy. She is a true pitbull biter. She will get on my back where she knows I can't reach her and just bite and chew.

I spoke with Bourbon and Dancing and now know that Buffy is a true pit bull biter and all the "standard" bonding techniques won't work with her. While she is calmer than when she came here, she is still so unpredictable. I can look at her wrong or breathe and she pitbull bites me.

She is truly a special needs glider that needs someone very special and very dedicated to care for her. I only have use of one hand and if she tears it up, I can't care for my daughter or other animals. I'm also on blood thinners so I'm really afraid of the bites and Buffy knows this. She needs someone that can work at the direction of Bourbon to help this little girl and I now know that person isn't me. My heart is breaking right now and I've not stopped crying since I talked to Dancing and Bourbon. She is a special little girl who needs more than I can give her. I truely in my heart thought I could earn her trust but I have failed miserably.

I would love some advice from those with pit bull biters and details as to what you have done to help them over come this. The standard bonding techiniques didn't work. I also need advice on what to do until I can find just the right person to take Buffy to the next level of trusting.

I wasn't told she was a pit bull biter and didn't understand the special needs she has because of that. I either need to find the answers or I need to find just the right special person with the pain tolerance and patience to help her learn to love and trust.
Posted By: jacknsally

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/05/07 04:15 AM

oh shelle -I'm so sorry hun- I've been there & Dancing was telling me about you & Buffy. You have NOT failed her!!! I wish I knew the answers to your questions. When you describe Buffy- your describing my Sally to the T. I never was able to break her of the biting- she even seem to do it more when I let her know it bothered me. I tried everything everyone suggested just as you have been. These girls just have a reason in their heads to control us. My Sally passed this last summer(18ms later) but up till then she was the sweetest little girl- well except for the biting. I loved her more because no one else would. No one in my family would hold her- when they knew who I was holding in the pouch- they would run the other way. I never knew why she was always biting but I talked with Dancing about her & it's turns out she was an Alpha glider- wow were my eyes opened wide. I never seen her Alpha type personality to her mate Jack- it was only directed at people. She just like your Buffy was a rescue glider- something happen to these girls that makes them have the need to control humans when we show them love. The only time she didn't bite- she was on her death bed... I sit here wishing she was here still biting me at times so I wouldn't miss her so much.

I wish I had more answers for you- but all I can give is hug2 If you can give me and Buffy till around July (I'm moving to TX) my heart & home are open to her & her mate. You have given her nearly everything & you cannot let her take your health.. I can't promise I could actually break her... but she will be greatly loved even more just as you do..

you have my email from suggiebay- mobmilli

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/05/07 02:21 PM

Shelle, I also heard the story from Teresa about how hard you've tried to bring this little girl around. I wish I could offer advice to help you, but I don't have experience with this particular kind of glider. I know you've been in close contact with Bourbon about her. I understand your need to find another place for Buffy. Best of luck in finding that special home!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/05/07 02:26 PM

Thank you everyone for understanding. Its breaking my heart right now, I love her to peices. Deep down somewhere she loves mom too.
Shes got her mate Angel right now and he is just that a angel to Buffy, hes the sweetest man you ever want to meet.
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/05/07 02:34 PM

Shelle,
I'm so sorry that Buffy is still not coming around. After 2 years, no one can say that you haven't tried your absolute best to get her over this. I had one pit-bull biter that was a rescue when he came to me: Cricky. I was lucky in that it only took about a year to get him past it and he learned to trust me. Thinking back on what I did with him, I think I pretty much let him call all the shots about when or IF I could hold him. I talked to him a LOT, held his mate a whole lot and pet him in his pouch in his cage IF he would let me. Finally, he realized I wasn't going to harm him or Pika. I had 3 wonderful years with him after he stopped biting before he passed over the bridge. I don't know if any of this helps or not, but sometimes hearing what worked for someone else will help to trigger something in your own mind that might help with your own situation... dunno

I hope you are able to find a wonderful new home for Buffy in the future. In the meantime, my thoughts, prayers & hug2 hug2 hug2 are with you...

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/05/07 02:44 PM

Its soo hard with her, she will bark for me and plead with her eyes for mom but then it can honestly be me looking at her or breathing at the wrong time. I mean literally no one is allowed to look at her like my daughter or me BUT she will NOT bite my daughter ever. Kerstin petted her head one day and Buffy did nothing until K moved her hand then she attacked me!! Some days I literally cannot speak near her cage. Then other times its mom mom mom please!!! Its heartbreaking.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/05/07 02:52 PM

shelle- it really is heartbreaking. My Sally really was the same way hun- I've walked your path. She would be the one who greeted me in the morning and be first in line for everything when it came to me. I don't think it's a trust issue like other biters- it's a control issue. They control us with that bite- I don't know why. I know Sally loved me & she KNOWS I loved her... I always wished I could read her little mind & see what had happened to her to become that way.

The only thing that kept me from getting bit was I could tell when she was going to bite. But this didn't help me when I was carrying her around & she wanted to ride on my shoulders- I couldn't see her then or when we were in tent time- she'd run up my arm and hang out on my back.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/05/07 03:06 PM

Buffy hates being carried in a pouch she will bite crazy through the pouches. She can go crazy some days just from my voice. Its not just mine poor Dancing, Buffy hears her and its crazy. Poor T has been on the receiving end of Buffys bites. She was trimming her nails and Buffy was not having it, latched on and refused to let go.
I have tried to figure out what sets her off but to no avail, I try to breath quietly and not look or speak and somedays thats ok then others it can be anything. She has learned that on my bad side where she can bite and mom cannot reach her, I literally sit and cry until shes done. I can take the bites without yelling or moving much.
If something scares her though its straight to mom.
I have tried everything I can, I know in my heart there is that special person that will win her over. Dancing will be helping to decide on where she goes, my brain is mush right now.
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/05/07 03:18 PM

Ah, Hun, my heart is just breaking for you cry

hug2 hug2 hug2

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/05/07 04:50 PM

I think using the word pitbull bitter is not right!!!Why would you say that I know this is off subject but no dog should be labeled as a bitter!!If thats the case but counts it should be called cocker bitter,sorry just seeing this upsets me I am a proud owner and BSL advisor fo PITBULLS!!!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/05/07 05:06 PM

I did NOT come up with this name! Its what gliders with this personality is called by the whole community not just a name I decided

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/05/07 05:09 PM

Pitbull biter is (someone correct me if I'm wrong) because it's referring to how the glider clamps down and doesn't release and pulls back and shakes it's head. Looking like a pitbull biting.

I understand your an advocate for pitbulls but those dogs with the wrong owners are nothing but trouble. Note I said with the wrong owners. I've known some pretty good owners of them and they were always watchful of their dogs but I've also been cornered in my own yard by a vicious pitbull that it took the police to get him out of there. There is a reason most homeowners insurance policies will not cover you if you own a pitbull. It's not because of the few good owners it's because of the many bad owners.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/05/07 05:10 PM

You are correct Kat thats where the name comes from, from what I understand.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/05/07 05:16 PM

The term pitbull biter is not meant in anyway to insult pitbulls. It is just that pitbulls when they bite, they lock their jaws and often don't let go. So do rotts. (I personally love pitbulls and rotts) This is just the term used.

This is how Buffy is. When she bit down on my finger, her teeth went into my knuckle joint and she just continued to chomp and chomp and chomp, not letting go. Some will bite down and then thrash side to side tearing away skin, flesh and can really do some serious damage.

A pitbull biter isn't like other gliders. Being bit and having blood drawn is one thing but this type of bite is just almost insane. And this isn't just an occasional bite either but a constant thing. The glider goes psyco and usually without provocation.

They really are special needs gliders who need special handling and care.

These gliders need someone special that can literally stick their hand in the pouch and leave it there for days while the glider just chews away until the glider really learns it isn't going to do them any good. Ask Bourbon...it can leave your hand mostly useless for weeks. For Shelle to do that, it would leave her unable to care for her daughter and other animals (since she only has use of one hand to start with) and also with her on blood thinners, this poses a real health risk to her.

With gliders like this, they need that special person that can take it and one that will keep them forever once they get past the biting. This is a major trust issue for these gliders and even if the one person gets them tame for them, to rehome them again will only shatter the trust and the glider will be back to step one all over again. Once a person can get through this initial hand attack and earn the trust of the biter, the biter becomes one of the most bonded little gliders anyone could ever hope for.

I've had some very scared gliders come to me and I've been bitten but even Buffy is out of my league. I know Buffy well. I fostered her for 2 months and I've gone many times to Shelle's to help trim nails and such. I've seen the wonderful progress all Shelle's gliders have made, all except Buffy. Most of her gliders came to her as a last resort home. They were all scared and would lunge/bite. They are now such sweet babies (many don't like me cause I trim their nails) and are not the little hopeless cases they had been thought to be.

I know Shelle doesn't want to give up on Buffy. This is not easy for her. She has been told for 2 years that if she just has enough patience and love, Buffy will come around. Sadly, that isn't the case with pitbull biters. They need more than the standard bonding methods. She has really done wonders with Buffy to this point but for Buffy to really become a happy glider, she needs someone that can take the punishment and not back down.

Buffy is also an alpha glider. She does NOT like or play well with other gliders. If Shelle smells like other gliders, Shelle gets attacked. She was originally in a trio but one of the gliders had to be seperated because of how Buffy tormented him. Angel is the one glider that Buffy has accepted.

Without the right person to come into Buffy's life, Buffy will be resigned to being just a caged glider and Shelle wants so much more for Buffy.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/05/07 05:17 PM

Thanks I was pretty sure that's where it came from. My rescued boy was that way with me for the first month but has since calmed down. I don't know if you've tried it or not or what others think about it, but what I did was take the bite and say, "hey" pretty loud every time he did it. I figured it would teach him my hand is not going away and it would startle him enough that he wouldn't want to keep doing it because when he persisted I just got louder but still keeping my hand in place. Now he's a sweetie he grooms me all the time and nothing more than a light nibble here and there.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/05/07 06:44 PM

Well good luck with your Gliders and there bitting but Pitbull DO not lock there Jaws no breed does This is a proven fact it was just done by Kstate Vet team less than 1 year ago all that is a myth, but I do understand people hear lots it just offends me who works hard on a positive look at Pitbulls and ther wonder personality I work so hard to get there credit! I love them and have studied the breed for 10 years and know most all stuff out there is all wrong study show 1 out of every 100 stories are true!!!! Sorry just wanted to put my FYI out there!! Good luck though!!!
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/05/07 07:25 PM

I have an unpredictable pit bull biter also. He is a doll in the daytime but at night it's a no go with him.

I have a female that was like this years ago, she isn't anymore. She's a sweetheart now and very bonded to me.

However, back to my other one. I almost gave him up a long time ago but was afraid someone else would hurt him or worse. Besides, I love him to much and couldn't give up his mate anyway. So, in the daytime I love on him, clean the cage, put in new toys etc. but only talk through the bars to him and play feather games at night. smile He's happy and this works for us.

I know what you are going through. I actually needed stitches the first time it happened. I cried for days, the tears wouldn't stop. I was so hurt.

I believe they are like us. Some will never trust anyone no matter what. Sometimes, like with people, it's best to love them, give them a nice home and go on from there.

Good luck, if you need help, PM me or email. smile

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/05/07 07:31 PM

Thank you SugarBlossoms for getting this back on topic! I do love Buffy and Angel with all my heart. Feel free to pm me or e-mail if you think of anything you have tried that I might have overlooked. I tend to never give up on my critters, I find the bright spot in every rescue who comes here.
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/05/07 08:49 PM

I sent you an email, it's a long one. LOL smile I referred them to them as mates, sorry! I should have said friends. smile

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/05/07 09:14 PM

I received the e-mail and replied. Thank you!!
Posted By: Xglider

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/05/07 09:23 PM

Shelle …. My heart goes out to you.. I know you have the best counsel in Bourbon and Dancing …
Posted By: Bourbon

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/05/07 09:55 PM

Shelle, please know that my heart breaks for you, the phone call we shared yesterday broke my heart and was one of the hardest I had to say. as you really only have 2 choices if you wish to keep her, one is like Kats did, and that is to stand the bites, take them, viciously, and the other is as SugarBlossums has done, and reserve the fact she will become a cage glider. both of which we had discussed.

it truely does break my heart as I know you love her so very much. but options are really limited to the options provided to you.

When I got in a pitbull biter, i always had to think the worst has happened to them, from the beginning and there was many ways I would look at things when working with them, I have many a scar to show that I have done as I have instructed others to do, and there are others that have seen me work with them. they will attest that the methodds do work, however they also can attest to the extreme pain and torment that a body goes through while earning that gliders trust.

as I stated earlier, the sad thing is we want to help them so very bad, and sometimes, no matter how bad our wants are.. it doesn't come near what their needs are..

my prayers are with you during this time.

Pet, please let me address your concerns.. not to take this off topic again, but just as there must be labels on the many personalities of life, there also must be a separation of the type of biters we are dealing with in the gliders.

there are many types, there is the nippers,
and then the biters-- these draw blood when they bite
we have the pouch protective gliders that will bite and lunge while in the pouch, but outside of the pouch they are fine.
then we have the extreme biters, those are the pitbull biters.. who sink all the way in, and don't let go, not that their jaws lock, but they sink in pretty deep and many times shake their bodies to get deeper.
then we have the rippers.. those are the ones that sink all the way in the first time, twist their heads and don't release their jaws as they are pulling away.

in no way shape or form, does it say anything about the species itself, (pitbull or gliders) but nothing more than a lable to describe the way they are biting and the extreme of that bite and behavior.

the bottom line is all gliders who bite do it out of fear, lack of trust. to gain that trust is what each one needs, but one is not handled the same as the others.

the pain threshhold and the constition that one must have with the extreme biters must be at a very high level. the first one that is taught to trust is easier than subsequent ones. the more we do, the harder it is to take those bites. because we already know what to expect and the extreme pain we go through.

I have worked with each of the types multiple times over the years.and they never get easier. my heart breaks for each and everyone of them, I feel the pain and the fear due to the abuse that the glider has had to endure to cause it to be so very afraid that they feel there is no other options for them.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/05/07 10:21 PM

Thank you Bourbon. I know what I need to do for Buffy, its to find that "special" person she can trust. I thought of something today. brains not soo mushy. It might not mean anything but thinking over the last 2 years. Buffy has NEVER EVER bit my good side, only my stroke side. Back, leg, arm and hand. Can she tell? I know my dogs can. It might not be the why but could it be a contributing factor? She came to my home a biter so it started before but could this be why I cannot stop the biting. My mom thought of this today.She thinks Buffy is trying to get rid of the weak part of my body. Like I said it might not mean much but?/ Its a thought. Which hurts more because then it would be me that failed her. But wouldn't my other gliders be this way?

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/05/07 10:37 PM

shelle, remember this.. you didn't fail her, a previous owner that caused her this much fear is the one that failed her..

all you have done is try to make her life better.

as for the making the weak part goaway
.. i explained to you this was a control issue, and I gave you some suggestions to help with that remember the plastic cutting board?, she will only do what she knows she can get away with.. you can not stop her on that side, she knows it, however, you can deter her from it, they are creatures of habit, stopping one of her habits is what it is all about.. please try to concentrate on those things, ways to stop her from hurting you. you may not be able to stop her biting , but you can protect yourself,..

do not allow her anywhere where you can not see her teeth, I told you, as Kats had stated, that they let you knoww in advance before they bite you, but you have to be able to see those signs, learn them, also be prepared for when she does start biting, slide the plastic cutting board between her teeth and your skin.

this is all temporary, as it will not stop her from biting, but it will protect you, till you find her a "special person" which may take awhile. In the meantime, you MUST protect yourself

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/05/07 10:40 PM

Michelle-

I wouldn't rule out that as a possibility. I believe gliders just as other animals have deeper senses & just know things.

Stop thinking that it is you that failed her- you've given her so much more and she came to you for a reason. As to why it doesn't affect your other gliders- they all have their reasons & what bothers them. It could be a mystery to her as to why that side of you is different and she's responding to the fear and not knowing- the other gliders may not be as sensitive or as fearful to the vibes they receive from your stroke side. Who knows- she could be responding to a negative memory- just as people who are haunted by hurtful memories. But I do think alot more of it is control

hug2

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/05/07 11:31 PM

Shelle … I believe many things and am not one to doubt the perceptions of an animal, our companions… however please do not ever feel you failed her… I can hear Bourbon’s voice say those words to you … let me echo them … I wish I could help more…. When I got Surge … he was out for blood … all the time everytime… but I did get through to him… he was a loved gliders … considered a bra baby …. You have courage my dear, real courage…
Posted By: Merlin

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/05/07 11:49 PM

Just don't give up. Scooter was a pit bull biter It has taken me four years to get Scooter to accept me. He does still nip once in a while. I have post polio syndrome, some of my muscles are deteriorating, but that does not seem to be a contributing factor. He has never bothered my weak muscles. Although he always used to bite my hand he did not bite other parts of me.

Do you use any special hand lotion, ointment or cream that might offend Buffy? In the past some people have commented that a glider may not like the smell.

After four years of biting Scooter will, very gently, take a mealworm from my hand. His cage partner, who is very gentle, will sometimes bite when she is in a hurry to grab the mealworm.

Merlin

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/05/07 11:54 PM

I wish we lived closer I would take her in for you. I know it's hard on you and I feel so bad for you. Please don't blame yourself.
Posted By: dranger1108

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/06/07 01:01 AM

I wish I was closer too, my son has the amazing ability to take a sugar glider bite, even when it's drawing blood with calmness and gentleness to the glider.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/06/07 01:43 AM

Merlin, I am a creature of habit and avoid wearing things that will bother Buffy, if it was that she would go for my 5 year old lol Miss I must have strawberry shampoo and cotton candy perfume. No it appears to be me. Well and Teresa.
dranger trust me I am a pro at taking her bites, I sit n cry very quietly until shes done. I think if it was that and that alone, I would have gotten somewhere. Thank you everyone for being so nice to me through this. It seems I stop crying then come here and read then the tears won't stop again.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))))))) thank you everyone.
Posted By: StitchsMom

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/06/07 02:44 AM

Oh, how heartbreaking! hug2 That is one tough situation. While I can't really offer any new advice, I can offer my best hopes that this all works itself out. I'd consider taking her in myself except that it seems you've done everything a person can do! I would be so afraid of scaring her in a new place...

Just know that my thoughts are with you!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/06/07 03:58 AM

Girl - let me tell you. Miss Zoe (your Meah & Leah's Mama) was a pitbull biter when I first got her. She came from a good home too. She came from a lady who loved her very much, but she got pregnant & couldn't go near Zoe without vomiting! Well, Zoe came to live with me & Zoe was MAD! She bit me every time I tried to say hi. She would run across the cage for no other reason than to bit me. If I picked her up, she would chomp down on my hand and turn herself in a circle, biting all the way around - if I let go, she would hang on! I remember my hands used to ache from the puncture wounds! It took her about a year to stop being mad at me. She took baby steps, but she stopped.

Now she is extremely alpha - she will chomp the heck outta me if she even smells Monster's family. And she does still bite me - she does it when she wants to do something that Mommy won't let her do. Like if we're having playtime & I see her heading for Monster's cage to pick a fight - I'll put my hand in front of her and say "I don't think so, Zoe" and she'll bite me every time. Or if she wants a yogie & she opens the container by herself & I take it away - she'll bite me. It's most definately a control thing for her. Like a child throwing a temper tantrum. But when a child throws a fit, that's when you need to assert your dominance the most, or they'll walk all over you. If I were to let Zoe go to Monster's cage and pick fights, or go open the yogie jar whenever she felt like it, what good would that do? I would just be letting her place herself higher on the totem pole and she'd likely bite more often and with less reason or thought. The most stabalizing thing I have found for Zoe is to maintain my dominant position.

If she goes to someone else, it's going to be rough on both of you - If she stays, it's going to be rough on both of you. I would love more than anything to fix this for you, to tell you I'd take Buffy & work with her - but I know what you want is to be able to do it yourself. Michelle, I know you're a softy for these suggies - If you want to keep Buffy & keep trying with her, she CAN NOT KNOW that you're a softy! You HAVE to be STRONG and DOMINANT - this girl needs some tough love! She will not hate you, trust me. Zoe adores me! I know, I could totally be making that up - LOL - but she really does, we have a great bond! She just needs something different from me than my other gliders do. I really think that's all Buffy needs, and I really truly think you can do it - even with one arm. Put on a glove if you need to, just show her that her temper tantrum is not going to stop you from taking control! Call if you want to talk - G

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/06/07 04:12 AM

Thanks Gina! The glove idea came to me today too, I think tomorrow Buffy and I are going to have us a little talk. I love her to peices and I will take every precaution to not get tore up to badly. I will be using Bourbons idea of the cutting board between us and put on major battle gear in case she gets by my one hand. I'm just lost right now and soo confused.
Thank you everyone.
(((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))
Shelle and Buffy

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/06/07 04:14 AM

Also honey, when I was working with Zoe, I used one of those quilted flannel shirts - it's much harder to bite through! thumb

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/06/07 04:16 AM

I might have one of those, will check my closet and triple layer every part of my body just in case!
Posted By: KattyM

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/06/07 04:16 AM

Shelle, I can't offer any suggestions or advice; I've been blessed with sweet (albeit two somewhat shy) gliders. But you've already gotten the best possible from the best out there! I just wanted to say how much I admire your heart and strength and courage. I know how incredibly difficult this has been and now is for you. hug2 to you, and I pray little Buffy finds the ability to transfer her love for you to her new, forever future slave and home, and that her true, sweet glider nature can shine through. heart

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/06/07 04:49 AM

courage?? lol nope not here. I will admit its pathetic but Buffy scares me, ever since it was said "what if she gets your jugular" lol No I can take bites don't get me wrong but the thought of her getting me someplace that will bleed horribly scares me to death!
Gina is right I am a softie to my suggies. I just love them and understand their abuse on some level. I understand Buffy, she was abused neglected and its one of the reasons shes so close to my heart. Everyone even animals need love, even if they are battered and physically not perfect. I can have the greatest empathy for Buffy, I see me in Buffy. She was a glider who was deemed unadoptable and no one wanted her. I can relate to that. Thats why shes my girl because deep down there is love there. I just have to find it somehow. Even Buffy barking for mom at 3 in the morning just to crab insane when she sees me lol leave the room wait 16 minutes and she does it again.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/06/07 04:53 AM

roflmao Michelle, it takes a glider slave to see the love in that! (((HUGS)))
Posted By: Ellen

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/06/07 04:19 PM

My first year of having gliders, I think I only had 4 then as pairs, a very good friend of mine gave me a glider named Scamp. He was on 12 weeks and a real lunger and biter. I had no idea what to do with him. There was NO way to get close to his cage and he prefered sleeping in a nestler rather than a pouch. I was ready to quite gliders as I felt I had done something wrong. But how could I? He came to me that way. I believe that someone hurt him or scared him and he could not get past the trust factor. I called Bourbon and she came to my home and worked with him until her hands had to be soaked at night to reduce the swelling. It didn't work. At the same time she was working with another glider much worse than Scamp. I can take the bite but these were not just bites it was attacts. She spent 2 days with this other glider and looked like mince meat. But it worked. The problem was the owner didn't keep up with what she had told her. But he ended up loving Bourbon.

My husband said we could not keep Scamp due to my health and not being able to take the bite and he sure won't. Bourbon took him home with her and worked with him and then a miricale happened. First she changed his name to Buddy, then a few months later a young man she knew came to see her and play with the gliders and saw "Buddy" and it was love at first sight. He took Buddy and they just love each other. I understand he even has a mate, which he would not tolotrate any other gliders or humans. I felt so sad and just hurt for this little guy.

I think with each case there is a different cause. But I think most is fear and the other control so they want to make sure they are not hurt. I don't know the answer and never will. I will only remember how chewed up B. was and how consistant she was with both of the gliders.

Please don't blame yourself. I truly believe it's their issue.

I have offered no help but wanted to share how first hand what I have seen happen. My prayers are with you and you have been given great advice. If I can help let me know.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/06/07 04:41 PM

Ellen, you brought up a good point that we failed to mention in our posts. We do know that Buffy was hurt, just now HOW. She only has a little stub of a tail. Could have been an accident, could have been from abuse. We just don't know, she was like that when Shelle got her.

Shelle, please hon...you have to forgive yourself especially since you have done NOTHING wrong. You have give so unselfishly to Buffy and your other gliders/animals. I know what kind of glider mom you are or you would never have adopted from me and you would never have gotten the girls from Gina. Not to mention the little wf you will get from me.

I know you are discouraged and confused. Those are both normal feelings but know that Buffy's issues are NOT your fault just as Buddy's was not Ellen's fault. We are only human...each of us has our limitations. We can't fix everything no matter how much love we have and how badly we want to.

I'm going to send you a pm soon...

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/06/07 05:01 PM

Thanks guys, I am resigned to finding Buffy her "special" person to win her over.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/06/07 09:16 PM

Well I'm trying something new, for now so a new home is on hold. I just cannot seem to give up yet. If it works, praying, we can go to the next level with Buffy.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/10/07 04:25 AM

off_topic

I know it is... but we used to have this horse named Rasmusin... He was a MEAN horse... he would charge the fence he would kick out at anyone who came close. Bear teeth and snap at people... Well we found out that the guy who had owned him before us... had beat the heck out of this poor horse with a 2x4 then used rope to tie him down so he couldn't move... and that's all because the horse was green the first time he tried to ride him and he bucked the guy off....

Anyways.. we got this horse... he HATED my step dad... he HATED my mom... BUT me... he loved me.... I could do anything with that horse... I'd had a lot of pain in my life... and we understood each other... that horse would have gone to purgatory and back for me... I could lay on him at night with not a piece of tack on him and he would just wander around eating... I remember those nights just listing to him chew and eat...

Anways.... you are doing everything in your power to help her.... I have FAITH that she will get better... God brings us together for reasons.... she's with you for some reason... and maybe it's because you can help her... maybe because it's you that will help to find her the right home... whatever it is... just know this... She's safe with you NOW... what happens tomorrow is another day..

Be safe

Christa

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/11/07 01:06 AM

I'm so sorry that Buffy is such a biter.
It does sound like you love her very much. Maybe wearing many layers of clothing to make your skin "thicker" and for your hand, what about a glove? Ya know something like the use for birds? You prolly won't need anything that thick, but something thick enough she can't reach your skin....

Is there anything that is not harmful to gliders that tastes bad?? Like jalapeno (sp?) juice or something, your could spirts on say a Jacket you can wear and/or the glove, then when she bites it would taste awful to her. I don't know if this would just tick her off more, or work as a negitive reaction to the biting.

Now off_topic
But I really really really really Hate hearing the Term "pitbull biter" I know you said that this is a term the "glider community" made up, but I still think it's very wrong.
PitBulls (Rotts, dobermans ect) are all given a bad name. No dog can lock it's jaws and MANY, if not all, dogs will bite something and shake thier heads and bodies. Not just pittbulls. Pittbulls, the innocent pets, are taking the heat for bad and negelagence owners.

We Glider owners are all Animal Lovers, I would hope we could come up with a much less daragatory term for extreme biters.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/11/07 04:17 AM

off_topic

Do you know that the dog that has the highest bite rate is not a pit bull, rottie, dobie, or Shepard?

It's a Golden Retriever... *nod nod* it's because so many people know them to be good family dogs therefore because of shear numbers they have the highest bite rate.. just an fyi and totally way off topic

sorry

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/11/07 10:30 AM

This thread will be locked at the request of the originator.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/18/07 11:00 PM

Unlocked at the request of the originator for updates!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/19/07 01:09 AM

Just wanted to update everyone on Buffy. In 3 days with her new pouch and the work of Dancing and Bourbon, Buffy is a much better glider.Buffy's new pouch is from pampered gliders, its for pouch protective gliders. It has helped Buffy to come to terms with her enviroment. For the first time since I have adopted Buffy. I can reach in her cage and do what evers needed!! To include feeding and hanging toys without her crabbing or flying out of a regular pouch trying to bite. In the new pouch she just raises her head and looks at me. I physically moved her whole cage, which would have resulted in total craziness on Buffy but now she just looks and goes back to sleep! We are in only phase one of this technique but Buffy is responding faster than Bourbon and I thought. Its taking alot of time on my part to help her and I learn to trust each other again. We still have a long road ahead but we are doing great!! All along this has been whats best FOR Buffy!! Not how I want Buffy but a happy not scared glider and we are getting there really quick. I do NOT feel I can take much credit in this department. I am doing what is told for me to do and its working!!! If not for T and Bourbon I would still be taking the bites! I did not think any different until the bites were soo bad and my bleeding that I finally spoke up. The ladies helping me have been a god send, they are having to figure out one handed techniques because that is all I have. Its a learning experience and for Buffy shes worth all this and much more. ALL I have ever wanted was for her to be happy and not scared to death. I believe all we are doing and her new pouch are the reasons!! Keep Buffy in your prayers, shes doing much better!! Words cannot express how much I owe everyone that is helping us. I am glad that I did not give up on Buffy.

http://www.thepamperedglider.com/products.htm I am soo in love with this pouch!! If you have a pouch protective glider please order one of these! It has sure changed my biter!!
Posted By: glidrz5

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/19/07 02:02 AM

Shelle, I'm so glad that things are working out for you and Buffy and that things are going well.
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/19/07 02:14 AM

What a great update! I'm so happy to hear things are getting better smile What a lucky girl Buffy is to have someone like you for a mom!!
Posted By: teriek

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/19/07 03:14 AM

We to are glad that things have turned around for you and her. We wish you both a healthy and happy bonding process. Please keep us all updated.
Posted By: BCChins

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/19/07 04:36 AM

I am happy to hear things are working out and that Buffy is learning to trust and not be afraid. I too just ordered this pouch at the advise of Bourbon for a glider I have taken in. This is our first night with this same pouch and everyone is staying clear of it! But they will cave in and use it before the night is over. I will let you know how we make out also as I am very encouraged by you and Buffy!'

Thank you for sharing you story with us.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/19/07 04:38 AM

Buffy freaked a little at the "new" pouch but by morning the first day there was a HUGE differance in her!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/19/07 06:57 AM

It's so good to hear that you and Buffy are mending your relationship! Big big (((HUGS))) to you and Buffy!
Posted By: Holly1221

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/19/07 11:57 PM

just wanted to say i'm rooting for you and Buffy to make it. your efforts shall really be rewarded 1 of these trying days Chelle !! just keep hangin' in there ! she knows she's loved, and for now, that's what matters most.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/20/07 12:35 AM

Thanks everyone We are trying very hard and making lots of progress. Its a learning course for the both of us. Shes alot more relaxed than I have ever seen her!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/20/07 03:03 AM

i am getting that pouch too, bourbon and shelleriddle called me yesterday and we talked about it. its amazing what can happen in just a few days time.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/20/07 03:20 AM

PROGRESS!!! Tonight I washed Buffys pouch and had to get back in to hang it up.Well normally before the new pouch and the new bonding techniques Buffy would have ate me alive. I resolved to getting bit putting the pouch back in BUT she just came over and sniffed my hand and walked away!!! This is very exciting to me. She has NEVER sniffed me, always a bite. I truely feel this new pouch has made all the differance in this gliders life. She is responding soo quickly to the bonding techniques. This pouch helps them to get used to their enviroment by seeing everything that is going on!! We are taking baby steps and its working!!!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/20/07 03:50 AM

clap yay Buffy! What awesome news Shelle, keep up the great work smile

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/20/07 06:45 AM

Fantastic Shelle! I can't wait to see for myself tomorrow. I am going to cut her nails while I'm there whether she likes it or not. It aught to be interesting.

I love going over to Shelle's. She has so many of my favorite gliders. Chunky, Darwin, Spike (though he doesn't like me much) darlin little Angel. (hummm, I see a pattern here, they are all neutered boys!)

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/20/07 11:50 AM

LOL hmm better run to the store for band aids, didn't know you were trimming her nails!! We both know you are not her favorite person.
Yeah my neutered boys are the best!! Most are just mellow, I do have a spry one or two but for the most part they are all sweeties. Angel's such a sweetie, hes like a lost puppy, love me now! On Spike hes just feisty lol. He gets crabby with me sometimes too. Not often but sometimes.
No really on Buffy I hope she shows you how good she is being.Before she hears your voice, I will have to show you how good shes being lol

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/20/07 05:28 PM

dancing maybe her nails can wait till the next time, so she has a chance to settle in with her new trust building techniques.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/20/07 06:14 PM

Yea, B. I figured really to play it by ear and see what mood she is in. Trust me, I don't look forward to even attempting to trim Buffy. I don't want to cause a set back either. I do know though that Buffy usually has pretty fast long growing nails.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/20/07 06:32 PM

Her nails do need trimmed. I think with her she will be mad at you like normal and not associate it with mom. Shes being good so it might not be a bad thing.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/20/07 11:05 PM

OMG i made two of those new pouch protective pouch thingies that shelleriddle was talking about, just to use until i can buy a really good one, and they've only been in it for one day and they are soooooooooooo much calmer. i can't believe it. I was actually able to pet both of my sleepy babies with out getting bit!!!!!!!!!! I am sooooooo excited. I only got crabbed at once or twice and that was when i stopped petting bambi and started petting stitch. they are so cute. this is the first time i've ever had this happen to where i could actually touch her in a sleeping area. usually i can't even look at her and when she would see my fingers she would go nuts, but not today. i know i still have a long way to go, but man what a start!!!!!!!!!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/20/07 11:31 PM

That is soo wonderful!! I am sold on these pouches,I need a ton more lol.
Posted By: sugeebaby

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/20/07 11:48 PM

I am so glad to hear the new pouch is a great success.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/21/07 08:54 PM

Well I did the resting my arm in her cage today and I think it went great!!! She peeked at my arm, crabbed a little then sat perched looking at me and let me snap a picture. I will try to attach it, its dark but I only have a camera on my cell.
I think everyday she trusts me more. Crabbing from her is a major break through, much better than the biting before.

Attached picture 6234-Buffy.jpg

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/21/07 09:34 PM

Ok major news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Buffy just now took a licky treat from my finger!!!!! woohoo I'm in total shock!!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/21/07 09:55 PM

YAY clap WTG Buffy smile Kepp up the great work Shelle!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/21/07 10:23 PM

I cannot take full credit for Buffy turning around. I just follow what I'm told to do! lol Bourbon and Teresa have been the back bone of this. BC Chins gave me the drive to do the licky treats with Buffy. I'm suppose to be helping her but I think its a mutual help. This is a major improvement already. I'm still sold on the pouch protective pouch by pampered glider, I feel this sped things along with Buffy.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/22/07 04:21 AM

I know i am sooooooo hooked on these pouches. My suggies are so much sweeter that they actually let my mom pet them in it. with out so much as a single crab.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/22/07 06:11 AM

I am so excited/proud of both of you! You for working so hard with Buffy and never giving up after so long and Buffy for starting to trust you more everyday. Way To Go.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/22/07 09:04 AM

Shellie, I was looking at the pic you have there, although dark, it reminds me of the pic I took of Jack, that look that is deep in their eyes.. it is not fear now, but a look of "Mom what ARE you doing?"

I myself nor will dancing take the credit for the hard work that you and Buffy are doing, Buffy is making many many forward advancements, and it is great to see the new relationship that you two have started building..

I spoke with Sugarabcession tonigt, she was in such amazement with the changes her glider is going through, she was actually able to watch her joeys make the trip into the pouch tonight.

I myself, feel great for many reasons,

1. that you all are doing so well so quick,
2. that the 2 of you have possibly kept 2 gliders from going into the system later on, which sadly is what generally happens to the severe biters.
3. with you all's help, we may be able to help many many more owners have a better relationship with their glider.

wouldn't it be a wonderful world to have a trustbuilding technique that does half the work for you. I know I myself love it because now I may not ever have to take another series of those vicious bites.

you all have done such a great job, I am so very proud of each and everyone of you including your gliders..

Shellie.. shall I stop looking for that optional home?

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/22/07 10:19 AM

Shelle, this is so awsome & don't you dare downplay your roll. You are the one working with Buffy every day to help her learn to trust and love. That takes a great deal of time & heart & courage. I for one am very proud of you both & happy as can be about how she is doing.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/22/07 01:00 PM

Yes Bourbon, Buffy is not going anywhere. I wanted to re-home for the best interest for Buffy but she is a happier glider now. Which is what I truely wanted for her.
This pouch has been a blessing and you guys telling me what to do and giving me the courage to do it. I will admit I was very scared of Buffy. Not now though, she has transformed in a week to a much sweeter glider. We have a ways to go still BUT she is no longer terrified of me.
Posted By: Gossamer

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/22/07 01:43 PM

Hmmm...I'm going to have to make a no sew version of this for my guy. He's not a "Buffy Biter" but he sure is pouch protective. Thank you for this thread - I believe it's helped alot of people.
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/22/07 01:48 PM

Shelle! I'm SO pleased by this exciting news! I think from your previous posts that you were possibly feeling like you'd let Buffy down somehow. It seemed as if you felt you had to give up, and it doesn't seem like you. I know it was weighing heavily on you.

I'm SO excited about this! I just ordered those pouches for all three of my cages. Rocket is NO WHERE near what Buffy is - but he is pouch protective, and crabs and lunges when I touch his pouch. I'm hoping for some progress. And it seems as if the other two will benefit, also, altho they aren't as pouch protective. It just makes sense that they want to see who is coming and going.

I'm SO glad that you found a way for Buffy to be a happy, more trusting glider! WHAHOO!
Posted By: minkasmom

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/22/07 01:57 PM

I'm just TICKLED PINK to hear how wonderfully these new pouches are working!

I got to see it used in one of B's cages a couple weeks ago...the design of the pouch was FASCINATING and the material used is so UNIQUE! I looked it & had to wonder WHY somebody didn't come up with this idea before--obviously there's been a NEED for this for quite some time!

So happy to hear there's HOPE for pouch protective babies out there!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/22/07 02:10 PM

I have been following this post from the beginning and my heart just went out to you. I have to tell you I myself shed a few tears hearing the pain you have gone thru physically and emotionally. You could tell you just wanted to love her and make her happy.

I AM SO HAPPY that things have really turned around for you. It must be so exciting that every day is a new day with Buffy and that every day she is going to love you more and more (and show it smile )

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/22/07 02:52 PM

Its very exciting!!! I never thought Buffy would come around. It was heart wrenching, I loved her to pieces and she was miserable. You could see it in her face and ears. She was a sad glider, NOW she gets ready and alert when mom comes. She still crabs some but shes soo much better!!! I did feel like I had failed her, that I messed up. I have taken in a lot of rescues and shes been the only one I could not get through, which made me love her more! Knowing now that with pitbullers I shouldn't have been taking the bites like I was. Its sad that for 2 years I was hindering progress. But now we ARE going to get there. At what level I do not know but if I can never hold or really touch is ok, SHES not sad and scared which was all I ever wanted with her.
I believe her new pouch did most of the work AND Buffy has done the rest. I'm just going at her speed and what she wants to do that day. Last night I sat with my arm in her cage while she played. Well her wheel was more interesting lol. She sniffed me some but the wheel had the power over her lol.
I will update every few days unless we have a HUGE break through like the licky treats.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/22/07 07:11 PM

Shelle, the fact you were able to rest your arm in there while she played says a lot.. remember what I said.. each step, no matter how small it may seem, to someone else.. is a HUGE step for BUFFY.. it takes a lot for a glider like buffy who feels they have a reason for whatever it is to protect her environment with such vengence..

the fear that she has lived through and the way she has lived, has become the norm for her. so the slightest change, is always a blessing.. also keep in mind, she too may have her good days and bad days. but you working on what she wants to allow you to do, is making a huge difference.

you all are doing awsome. you all are our next generation, it will be up to all of you to help the next group of severe biters and pouch protective gliders.

we old timers are working with the various rescue homes in placing many many gliders just like yours who hasn't had that opportunity to know what buffy and the others are now feeling.

I hope that many people that are reading this can see the potential that these pouches can serve in the rescue homes, Suggeebaby is taking orders for those that would like the rescue homes the chance to work with this type of gliders with much less effort.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/22/07 08:38 PM

Shelle....YOU and BUFFY are doing an awesome thing. The experiences you are now having with Buffy can only help the next person. Yes, this method started as an experiment but so far it is WORKING! And it is working without all the pain of just "taking the bites". It seems like it is less traumatic on the gliders and definately on the owner.

Bourbon's phraze, "next generation" is right on the mark. There are those that have been around for a very long time. They have brought us fantastic ideas and bonding techniques. They have taught us all very valuable lessons and have made our combined experiences with gliders so much better. BUT that does not mean the education is complete.

"The Next Generation" will hopefully take those past lessons and expand on them. Take a look at what works and make it work better. Take a look at what hasn't worked and find alternitives. That is PROGRESS! That is what is needed.

Michelle, there is always a reason for the things that happen to us in our lives...perhaps this experience with Buffy, and the lessons the entire glider community can learn is a part of why your health came to what it is. Really, without your lack of one arm and the meds you are on, we might all still be taking the bites.

There are hidden blessings in all things even if they are often hard to find.

I am so proud of all the work you and Buffy are doing. You and Buffy have opened doors that we previously didn't even know were there.

I don't want to make light of the other's also working on this "experiment". Each of you are making a difference. (I have only been working with Shelle so have limited insight to all the good work going on).

I would love each of you working with one of these special gliders to keep a journal of progress, and set backs, so that we can all learn from your experiences.

Buffy...I'm so happy for you that you are learning to trust finally. I know you have so much love being offered to you and nothing makes me happier than to hear you are finally trying to accept it. (gee I really wish gliders could read)

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/22/07 08:43 PM

Shelle … Brovo to you! you have a huge heart and it shows… I think you have gotten great advice and I can’t think of any more to offer … but will add moral support and a few .. hug2 hug2 hug2

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/22/07 09:20 PM

John, remember that couple I was trying to help at the fl gathering that day? I can't remember who they were, maybe you can send them an email or something to let them know that there is still hope for their little one, that doesn't require me or him getting chewed up again..

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/22/07 09:48 PM

Buffy took a licky from my friend today!! My friend was scared of Buffy, she knows all the stories on her. She was like are you sure this is heR? lol I said yes. Buffy was sweet and alert I was shocked. She didn't crab or tense, Just a hey what you got to eat!!! lol

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/22/07 10:21 PM

I really feel Buffys doing most of the work, I'm the one who gets her up for treats constantly lol. She did nip my finger a little on licky first thing this morning but it didn't hurt or break the skin. It was more of a hey I'm tired of waiting thing lol, after the nip I just continued to let her lick the treat off. Its not a setback I think because I do not feel it was a bite, it was more of a taste thing. Shes been unbelieveable. The last few days has just been leaps and bounds with her. I'm hoping she shows Teresa her new side Saturday. Since she has saw the "old" Buffy, I want her to see the "new" Buffy.
Its really been the encouragement from everyone helping me get my courage to do this. I have always wondered why I had such a horrible stroke maybe Dancing is right, if not for medical would we be trying all these new things for gliders. My heart has always went out to the hard luck case animals. Anything birds, dogs, cats and gliders. I would always take the ones everyone said wasn't worth helping or saving.
This has really helped me get through these last few days. The resting my arm in her cage was a BIG step for us, me I was a tad scared expecting the latched on bite but so far those are gone already BUT I do not push her, everything is up to her. Really watching her body and face as helped me learn her better. Her wants and dislikes.
Posted By: KattyM

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/24/07 08:03 AM

Shelle, what an incredible success story! You've done an amazing job with this wee one. Little Buffy is opening her heart (and no longer her jaws) to you. Your love and patience and dedication are paying off. heart

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/24/07 04:36 PM

Shelli you are doing fantastic with Buffy keep strong and only good things can happen. Hugs

I am not intruding on your post but I wanted to say that yesterday I too put my arm in the cage (thanks to your encouragement) and Lela came to it sniffed my closed hand then proceded to climb onto my fist walk down my arm and at the same time we looked at each other with the "OH my what is happening" look, she then sniffed my arm and climbed down into her pouch. NO BITES/CRABBING this would have never happened a week ago.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/24/07 04:51 PM

That is wonderful Brenda!!!! Buffy tried to give me heart failure last night lol. She jumped/glided into the cage by my arm, I am getting more relaxed when I do it now lol. She just came up and sniffed. She decided her wheel was more fun then my arm.
I'm glad your two are coming along too. This is a learning experience for everyone so post away.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/24/07 05:10 PM

See Shelle...I told you it would be good to post about Buffy! I'm so excited things are turning out like they are instead of the way we thought they might (finding yet another home for Buffy).

Look at all the fantastic positive things happening because you and Buffy had the courage to start fresh.

Brenda...YEA for you too!

You two are definately part of the "next generation"!!! While your experiences may not be pure scientific clinical analysis, they are proof enough for me!

Bourbon...Karen....HUGE KUDOS to you both for the Pouch Protective Pouch!

This whole thread just does my heart and soul so much good. As a rescuer, I get in some that I think will NEVER be ready to leave here because of extreme behavior issues. Buffy and Shelle's experiences proves that NO glider is hopeless!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/24/07 06:05 PM

T you will hopefully see the better side of Buffy today! She has given me hope and strength to do all that is needed. She is a much happier glider now. We are making slow progress but I wouldn't have it any other way. We have the rest of our lives to work on this. She is worth all this and so much more.
I am very happy sharing Buffys story is helping so many other people with their gliders.
Brenda and I are each others motivators to try new and more challenging things with our "problem" babies. I am by far an expert in this, I'm still learning and following my guidance from B.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/24/07 06:54 PM

Thank You T!!

I was not sure about handleing a Biter like this as I am not real exsperienced in them. But after this week I would take in any PitBull biter and gladly work with them. This has been more then rewarding to me. I am happy to have learned about this. I am keeping a notebook about this whole learning exsperience!
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/24/07 07:00 PM

I just can't wait to hear how things with T and Buffy go! I'm on the edge of my seat! Post as soon as you can!

Congrats, Brenda!

This whole thread is just so exciting! I'm thrilled by this kind of progress, which is the result of a huge breakthrough and a new way of approaching an old problem.

This is just wonderful! Congratulations to all involved!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/24/07 07:45 PM

I was reading about Buffy and I have never heard the term "pitbull biter". What do you mean exactly by that? I have a glider I have been working with to bond. she isn't a rescue but she is a major biter. It was soooooo hard for me at first and with patience and letting her decide things she doesn't bite AS MUCH. She stills bites me sometimes but its not as bad and I can take it. She has latched on with a bite once or twice recently but thats alot less than she used to. Do I have a pitbull biter...curious about this....

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/25/07 02:46 AM

I believe that Bourbon gave us a good description of the different types of biters.....
Quote:
there are many types, there is the nippers,
and then the biters-- these draw blood when they bite
we have the pouch protective gliders that will bite and lunge while in the pouch, but outside of the pouch they are fine.
then we have the extreme biters, those are the pitbull biters.. who sink all the way in, and don't let go, not that their jaws lock, but they sink in pretty deep and many times shake their bodies to get deeper.
then we have the rippers.. those are the ones that sink all the way in the first time, twist their heads and don't release their jaws as they are pulling away.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/25/07 09:49 AM

I have to say that I am sooooooooooo excited! I did go over to Shelle's today and either she has switched gliders on me OR BUFFY has really changed.
Before, if Buffy even heard my voice, she would start...well...she gave a whole new meaning to "crabbing". Not today. I was sitting right in front of her cage, putting together a reptarium and not a peep out of Buffy...she just sat and watched.
She was not scared, not cringing, just watching.

Even though she basically tried to discourage me, I did it anyway. I put yogurt on my finger and offered it to Buffy. When Buffy came at my finger, I flinched! I'm such a coward but I remember the OLD Buffy...

The Buffy that so gently licked off the yogurt today just totally stole my heart. I was so caught off guard by the changes I'm still not sure how I feel except for extremely excited and THRILLED for both Buffy and Shelle.

Absolutely AMAZING!

Of course, I had to take a couple of pictures of this darlin.

Attached picture 6295-Buffy02240701.jpg
Attached picture 6296-Buffy02240702.jpg

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/25/07 11:59 AM

I am so excited for Shelle and Buffy. You too T as I know who cuts her nails!!
It warms my heart to know that Shelle has works for so long and hard 2+ yrs and has found that this pouch, her time and caring and wanting to find the real Buffy is now paying off. Shelle you will only be more rewarded everyday as Buffy ad you become closer as friends.

Nice job everyone involved in making this happen it shows you reall care about the Glider.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/25/07 02:08 PM

WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO! I'm so proud of Buffy! Teresa, in the pictures you took, you can really see that she is relaxed & curious.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/25/07 07:51 PM

I wanted to take everyone back to the beginning of Buffys transformation. I put the new pouch in at night. I took everything that Buffy could hide in or under out of her cage. Like wheels, toys and things.I felt like a terrible mom, she ran circles at the top of the cage and I could tell she was stressed BUT by morning she was crashed out in the new pouch. Its very heart wrenching to watch but a week later she earned a toy and wheels back. Its not so much earned but she calmed down enough to not hide in them. Thats the key with these types of gliders, getting them to relax and see their enviroment. We have been doing different bonding techniques with her. One is just resting my arm in her cage but wouldn't you know, the mighty wheel is more fun!!
I know everyone has trouble with seeing their gliders stressed BUT its a tough love thing. In two days Buffy had stopped crabbing and lunging. I could get into her cage and move her cage and nothing. I feel this pouch has been a blessing to Buffy.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/25/07 08:19 PM

I will try to help or give pep talks to any one. I am not a expert but will help talk you through the first day or two.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/26/07 08:38 PM

Just wanted to update how things are going. Lela is doing good as she now will let me pet her a little bit on the back and behind her head and that is fine as we do not want to push her to fast. The next week will be all about concentrating on what we have been doing up to this point and reinforcing it into her mind. Once we get that implanted then we will move on to new things.
Shortly Shelle will post a picture (PLEASE) of Lela in her pouch for me. Thank you Shelle!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/26/07 08:50 PM

Ok let me see if this works Brenda. I could not figure out how to make it smaller lol
This is how the pouch protective pouch should be hung in the cage.

Attached picture 6348-brendasgliders.jpg

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/26/07 08:58 PM

Forgot to update on Buffy. Just like Brenda we are in the re-enforcing the good behaviors right now too. But Buffy is doing wonderful!!! Its hard to believe she is the same glider.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/27/07 12:55 PM

Ok this may sound little to some but not for us who have these biters! Today while taking a lickey treat we were chirping plus now she almost seems excited to see me! I have never heard this gldier chirp. She is happy!!
Posted By: Sherri

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/27/07 02:36 PM

I too have a pit bull biter. Kudzu and Ivy are 2 of my rescues and ever since getting them in December Kudzu has been a pit bull biter. I was informed about him being very aggressive towards other gliders which I figured I could deal with that. He is a neutered male and only gets along with his mate Ivy. I didnt know he was a biter when I got him. When I first got them he would let me take him out and he would sit around my shoulders. And BITE my neck and shoulders. I thought at first he was just nervous and scared in a new enviroment. But everytime he is out for tent time he still does it. He will bite where ever he can. And it seems like he tries to dig to get in deeper to be able to really clamp down. I usually wear extra clothing to avoid any real contact with skin. But after talking to B and her telling me to read this post about Shelle and Buffy I am definately going to get Kudzu one of those new pouches. I cant wait. I havent thought of ever giving him up. He will always have a forever home with me but if I can get him to trust me enough not to be such a biter than I know he will be much happier. I know rescues have issues and I had just figured that he had been rehomed enough times to become a biter rather than trust anyone. So I am off to pampered glider to get my new pouch. Wish me luck. And Shelle, you and buffy are an inspiration to all of us that have biters and didnt think there was hope.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 02/27/07 02:56 PM

I sent you a pm and will help you as much as I can.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/02/07 11:18 PM

Ok I HAD to post!!! Buffy took a piece of cantaloupe from my fingers today!!!! This may seem small but this is a big step for us!!!
Posted By: minkasmom

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/02/07 11:53 PM

Just hearing of the CHANGES in the former pit bull biters all because of a modified pouch design....

I'M SO HAPPY FOR ALL OF YOU! May we continue to hear GOOD NEWS of those "couldn't/wouldn't do before, but now...WOW!" milestones!

We're all waving our pom-poms, cheering you on!!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/03/07 01:18 AM

Yayyyy Buffy smile

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/03/07 01:43 AM

Sherri, why didn't you contact me? Kudzu was never a biter here. He was here for over a year and a half and he never even nipped me. Perhaps as you said, he is just reacting badly to yet another new home.

Have you considered what soaps and shampoos you use? Deoderants? Perfume? Lotions? Hairspray? Other animal scents? Scents you might be picking up from other places you aren't aware of (such as public restrooms?) He never bit me like you are describing. Even my husband, who rarely does anything with the glider except occasionally pass out yogies or puts their dinner in the cages when I'm out of town, had several times taken Kudzu out and never got bitten. This is just not the Kudzu I knew here. Call me anytime you need and I'll try to work with you and Kudzu. My number is 620 215 4857.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/03/07 02:18 AM

Sherri please pm me I would love to help you with Kudzo

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/03/07 05:58 AM

Shelle I am glad to hear Buffy is now taking food pieces from you with out the biting. You just keep up that good work. Buffy is going to be a perfect Angel before you know it! Hey small steps are just as good as big steps. Give her a treat for me OK!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/03/07 06:22 AM

I sure will!!! Tried mealies in my palm n she crabbed at them lol so decided a piece of fruit from my fingers. She was soo gentle she dropped it the first time lol

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/05/07 08:11 PM

Well I had a brain cramp today but the outcome to me is a good thing. I played with several cages of gliders and then went to give Buffy a piece of fruit, well I forgot to wash my hand. Well before, if I "touched" another glider Buffy would bite me horribly bad. BUT today she just sniffed and refused the fruit. So I am not sure if this is positive or not. I felt so terrible, it took me a minute to understand why she was ignoring mom. lol

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/05/07 08:12 PM

Saturday after giving her fruit, I was able to give her a chin rub without her even caring, just eating away lol. So that was a MAJOR step for us.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/05/07 08:23 PM

How old are gliders before they are able to secret scent,my glider escaped during night my cat got after him i grabed him with a glove on,had i not i would have been bleeding,he knawed thru reaching finger as i reached cage with him,he has never bite that hard but thr smell on the glove very strong,he was supposed to be 8 week feb 16,is this normal?

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/05/07 08:51 PM

Well not being real sure what the smell is on the glove adn you just grabbed him thenI think this is very normal. He was scared and after the cat chasing him he was just defending himself. give him a few cage treats and then just slowly start offering him a licky treat . Were you able to touch pet him before this.

I hope I am understanding what you are saying here. And I think he was jsut upset with everything.

Now Shelle I am glad Buffy was kind enough to not to nip you and just walk away! Chin rubs are the best and so rewarding when you would have been munched a few weeks ago. Scratch her for me!
Lella is about the same and Saturday was a long work day for me (got out at 7am and back there at 2pm till 11pm) so she got only a few treats and she was a little stand offish on sunday till we had about 4 licky treats. Then this am after mealie time she came over and put her 2 front feet up on my arm sniffed and walked up the rest of it and then I realized she was heading for my shirt sleve. I headed her off as I did not think her getting in my shirt was on the plan just yet. She wanted to use me for a pouch!! You watch I have no Bra babies here and she will end up being my one and only Bra Baby!! That is fine by me. We ar estill reinforcing the things we have been doing.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/05/07 08:51 PM

Quote:
How old are gliders before they are able to secret scent
It is pretty close to the "maturing" age for male gliders. Mine started at about 12-13 weeks

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/05/07 09:07 PM

I think what happened with her glider is the glider was scared and "skunked. This is normal when a glider is scared. HTH

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/08/07 05:41 AM

I too have a pitbull biter! Where can you get one of the pouches?

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/08/07 01:05 PM

http://www.thepamperedglider.com/

Scoll down to The Pouch Protective Pouch. If you need some help with using it please feel free to Email me Edcar88@aol.com as we are having great results under the advise of Bourbon and would not mind helping someone else in need.
There are different set ups for different cases of biters/pouch protectors.

My advise is to get more then one so you have a spare to change out and clean them.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/08/07 01:56 PM

Tclem68 this pouch really does work with guidelines for use, feel free to pm me or e-mail at shelle_riddle@yahoo.com

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/08/07 02:02 PM

Buffy is doing wonderfully, She let me give her a good rub down yesterday without flinching or getting tense. She has really relaxed with me now. She will not take any food from my palm but she lets me pet her a lot more which is a plus! I never thought I would be able to touch Buffy without being totally tore up but she is a different glider now.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/08/07 03:49 PM

This is great news! ! ! !

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/12/07 02:39 PM

Well Buffy and I had our first tent time in forever yesterday!! Well it was the best for the most part. I did get nipped but my fault totally. She wanted mom but then last second changed her mind and I just petted . I got one nip but then a perfect tent session. She does not crawl on me though, just runs around but constantly looking to check on me. It was soo much better than our very last tent time before we started the new techniques. Before it was run to mom and just bite n bite, so to me this was a plus!!!!!!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/12/07 03:27 PM

Congrats on the progress!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/12/07 04:52 PM

AWESOME NEWS!! I am so happy you two are finding each other again. Show us nothing is impossible with these guys.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/12/07 05:30 PM

Our biggest problem right now is getting Buffy to her cage from the tent and vice versa. A regular pouch just seeing it turns her into the pit bull biter that she was before. Her first tent time alone I used a regular pouch and she stressed so bad just from max 2 minutes from cage to tent for the whole next day she over groomed her head. So we are going to try a nest box for the transfers. I did try the pouch protective pouch for transport but didn't work very well. Its just difficult one handed for transports. But she has so much fun!! So I will find a way to move her from one place to another with minimal stress.
Posted By: TracieB

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/12/07 05:50 PM

I'm so glad you're making progress together, and that Buffy can actually enjoy tent time again! Keep up the great work. thumb

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/13/07 01:23 AM

Shelle, I had good luck with taking Meeko to the tent in his glider crate. He got so he LOVED his crate & would jump into it the minute he saw it and would often refuse to leave it when I used it to transport him back to his cage. It's one of the critter carriers with windows on the side so he could see out & a zippered door on each end. We even got to the point where I could leave the end door open so he could see out that way too.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/13/07 01:34 AM

cool, where can I buy one? I was going to try a nest box or something but that sounds easier one handed! thank you!!!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/13/07 02:45 AM

Shelle, I'm pretty sure this is the crate Chris is referring to wink

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/13/07 04:30 AM

aww cool thank you Becki

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/13/07 01:24 PM

Yep! That's it! It comes in a couple of different sizes too! & is plastic lined so it's easy to clean up.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/14/07 08:36 PM

Well its time to update on Buffy lol. Her pouch protective pouch is basically closed now, except about an inch gap. We have been doing tent times. I finally figured out how to get her into the tent with just her pouch. Well today she was at first being miss shy girl THEN she came out and decided to try to run up my jeans leg lol She HAS never tried to do this before!! And let me tell you it scared me lol I stopped her before she was able to get inside lol. Note to self wear sweats!!!!! lol
Shes doing so much better, shes even making googly eyes at the glider beside her lol

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/14/07 08:37 PM

I should clarify up inside my pant leg!!!! lol
Posted By: USMom

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/17/07 07:11 PM

I have heard some wonderful things about this pouch with the biters. I know Karen, sugeebaby, has worked long and hard with Bourbon on getting the design exactly right, and finding the best fabric.
What is it about the pouch that helps with the biting? Is it just that they see more of us, and then get more comfortable, or is it something else?
I ask because I have gotten in a glider that seems like way beyond pit bull biter. She will reach through the bars of the cage, like when I'm giving treats, to grab you and bite. It doesn't matter what you are doing, she wants to eat you. She HATES people. I have reduced cage numbers, so I can work with her, so any suggestions would be good!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/17/07 07:31 PM

Shawna, not sure exactly for pit-bull biters, but I am sure it's similar to the use for the pouch-protective gliders.

I made myself this pouch (based on directions from B) when I first got one of my gliders who was extremely pouch-protective.

I think the idea of the pouch is to make the glider feel like it has more control...and not like someone is coming at the glider and it is cornered in its pouch. With the design of this pouch, the glider has the option to run or stay.

In the beginning of using the pouch, my glider woul run each time. Then she started learning if she stuck around she would get treats, rubs, etc. After she finally learned the she could trust me in her pouch, I was able to switch her to a normal one. I totally would swear by them...

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/17/07 09:28 PM

Well, Gizmo will actually grab the treat, throw it or smack it out of my hand then bite me. She could care less about the good stuff, she just wants to destroy the human. It doesn't matter what part she gets.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/18/07 12:27 AM

I talked to you today Shawna and please feel free to call if you need help or encouragement. I will pm you my number

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/19/07 02:58 PM

Okay, I am going to move cages today and clean, we will see how that goes. If I still have fingers later, I will let you know! I have to re arrange the whole room, and I'm not sure how this is gonna work out.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/20/07 02:46 AM

Adding two pics of the biter. I was wrong about who it was. It is Dexter, not Gizmo. The first pic is hysterical! I keep thinking of someone in prison, I'm gonna get you when I get out of here! The second is kind of scary. He was biting the bars all over the cage. Any place I had touched. I touched it a few times to check. It wasn't random, he wants to eat me.

Attached picture 6921-100_1911.jpg
Attached picture 6922-100_1910.jpg

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/20/07 06:05 AM

Wow, that second pic IS kind of scary. LOL, I hate to laugh, but what a perfectly evil yet adorable little face! Especially with that one eye slightly closed, like he's scheming!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/20/07 05:18 PM

Okay, I chickened out and didn't clip nails, I made him a denim pouch instead. But, the good news, he took treats from me last night, twice! And ate them, not threw them away! Yay!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/20/07 05:49 PM

Yeah!!! Good job. He reminded me of the old Buffy in those pics. He sure is beautiful though. I was wondering if you chickened out lol

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/20/07 06:50 PM

Oh my Shawna, you do have your hands full LOL

He's handsome as can be though. Hope things work out for you and him hug2

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/22/07 03:29 PM

Ok success!!!!!!! Buffy finally let me love all over her head today!!! Ok I'll admit it took 15 mealies to be able to rub her head lol. But this is a break through for us!!! We were in the tent and she climbed all over me today!!! She crabbed when we first got in the tent but she was in her pouch and NO licky treat!!! So I put mealies on the pouch so at first she crabbed this pathetic crab while she was eating them!!! Guess they were a bad substitute for yogurt lol. Shes doing very good. She still has some trouble if shes startled, like my daughter bumped the tent, she was not in it. Buffy went into the stiff body ready to defend posture but I just kept talking to her and she calmed right down. Oh do NOT touch the purple bunny in her pouch!!!! Its one of the hard plastic ones from the egg full of bunnies. We tried everything to give her a cuddle buddy but she refused everything until the bunny. Its HERS and not allowed to be touched!!!! lol

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/22/07 04:53 PM

This is Great News! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/22/07 04:55 PM

Yes it is!!! We love each other now on Buffys terms, which is how it should be.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/22/07 06:17 PM

Wonderful new Shelle, Please give Buffy a scratch from me!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/22/07 06:36 PM

I sure will Brenda!!!!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/23/07 02:48 AM

Okay, 2 nights in a row, Dex hasn't attacked his cage. He pretty much ignores me now. Which right now is good, he is getting used to me. He won't eat treats, unless it is something I put on his plate before I put it in the cage. Of course I haven't offerred my fingers lately! LOL

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/23/07 03:58 AM

LOL Now Shawna thats NOT ALLOWED!!!! LOL No fingers, the thing is DON'T get bit remember!! too funny, keep up the good work. Call if you need me

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/28/07 04:36 PM

I let Dexter play with my hair last night. He seems fascinated with it (it's pretty long and thick). He just pulled it into the cage and I guess chewed on it! LOL, but he couldn't reach me to bite me. They are starting to play a bit with the hanging toys in their cage, there is a rattle that is the plastic baby keys, and what I call a spider. The spider is a wiffle ball with straws in it, hung from the ceiling of the cage. We are making slow progress.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 03/28/07 06:04 PM

Flad things are starting to work. Go SLOW and do not get bit. Keep us posted.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/01/07 03:42 AM

Okay, update. We are at 24 hours with the pouch in the cage. Dex has no problem with it, but Gizzy seems really scared, she hides all the time. Well, as much as she can, there aren't any hiding places in the cage.
He seems much calmer tonight. I wiped down his cage bars while he was awake, and he watched, but didn't try and hunt me down to eat me laugh I think this will work really well for him, based on the progress we have been having.
But, I feel soooooo guilty about her. She acts scared all the time! She isn't afraid of me at all, I can touch her and move things around and such, but, she kind of acts like a beaten wife. I've never seen him do anything to her, and I don't want to separate them. But then I do want to. I worry about her being so much smaller, as well as her behavior. Would it be easier all the way around to separate them, or would this cause a huge setback?

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/02/07 02:06 PM

Oh Shawna I am lost on this one better call Bourbon. But I'm glad the pouch is working for Dexter!!!! Thats wonderful.
I'll pm a few questions that might help with Gizzy

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/02/07 02:09 PM

pm sent

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/02/07 05:21 PM

Well, Dex is very, very sensitive to change. B, you are getting a call tonight. Moved one cage in the room and we are at starting over. I never saw Gizzy up last night. I don't know if she ate. I am really thinking they need to separate.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/03/07 01:59 PM

Well Miss Buffy and I had a slight issue the last few days but its fixed now. We had gotten to were the pouch was completely closed for say a week, then out of the blue she lunged and crabbed at me in the pouch. She did not get me, I knew as soon as I saw the drooped ears and tense body she was going to go for it, so I flinched and didn't take the bite. What I did was open the pouch maybe 2 inches and then stuck my finger back in with a licky and no more problems. We haven't had anymore issues but I did leave the pouch open as to help calm her. With Buffy I have realized she will always be unpredictable and thats okay, this is her and she is happy most of the time.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/03/07 06:05 PM

Awww! I'm sorry! I'm glad you knew how to fix it, though. It seems like 2 steps foward, 1 back, doesn't it?
We have discovered that Dex does NOT like change at all. But, I talked to B last night and we decided that separating them might kill him, so we will watch for a while and see how it goes.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/03/07 06:42 PM

It can be two steps forward and one back. I don't consider it a back step with Buffy because I knew right away what was wrong. Opened up the pouch and my sweet glider. I know the stress of trying to figure out with a pair if you should seperate or not. For Buffys former mate, it would have killed him to stay with her. Its a double edged sword. She is now alone and I'm not sure she will ever accept another glider. But Angel has stopped over grooming and now eats and has put on weight. He now has a new Buddy named Chino that he loves and will protect. He was grossly pouch protective but not too bad now unless you try to reach in to get Chino lol. Then look out!!!!!
I'm always here to help to help, theres several areas that I just have no clue about as I worked with Buffy as a lone glider.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/03/07 06:52 PM

I have Buffy close to another boy glider named Doc, another problem child lol. They clicked and chittered so I tried a face to face in the tent. She full on attacked him. I was prepared for it, I got them apart very quickly with the only loss of blood was mine lol. I have wondered she had sniffed him at first then he got between her and I and she attacked instantly. I wonder if she was protecting mom or what???? I won't try it again for awhile if ever. I just hate having two lone gliders. Doc is very aggressive with other gliders, which is why he was removed from a trio. So I am in a rough spot of trying to figure out what to do. Doc is grossly pouch protective, He tries to bite through double layered pouches and just stresses himself out if you barely bump his cage. He is not a pit buller though. Out of his pouch hes pretty sweet, a little adhd but pretty nice guy if you can catch him lol

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/03/07 06:53 PM

Glad Buffy missed you Shelle.
Yes I agree 1 step forward and 1 or 2 backwards. You just have to go slow.

Shawna my Scooter is a bit scared to (he is Leila's cagemate). He is like a teenaged boy who hates to be woken up. He gets mad and tries to get under her to hide his face from me/light/licky treats. Once night time comes he is a different glider.

Leila is making slower steps but she now waddles over the shelf to greet me when she is awake. She will jump out on my arm while I sit in front of the cage walk on me sniff me. I do not let her stay out too long without being in the tent as she will go off looking for a pouch!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/03/07 10:36 PM

Shelle, try one of Buffy's pouches with him? If he's not in a pouch, he can't get mad about it, right? Hmmm...I know, I don't sound anything like I did before! LOL.
As far as it not being a step back, I knew when I saw him out of the pouch what was wrong, but sheesh!
Brenda, was Scooter a biter before? Or just scared?

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/03/07 10:42 PM

I am going to be getting doc some of his own pouches lol.
You are sounding more confidant now Shawna. Once we get over the initial shock of the drastic change in behavior we get confidant. Like with Buffy shes very expressive and it takes me one look to see if anything is wrong with her or her cage. With her don't touch the bunny its HERS!!! lol
I haven't washed it in 2 weeks n its driving me crazy lol. In a day or two going to try to nab it to clean then boy will I be in trouble.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/04/07 04:59 AM

Shawna
Scooter never really bites he just crabs a ton when I offer Leila a lickey treat. He wakes up before her and then dives under her to go back to sleep which in return makes her a bit restless at first then she settles and take the treat just fine. You see she is a bit pudgey and will not refuse too much in the way of food! Scooter is a nice boy unless you wake him then he nips and crabs that is it. Leila is/was the biter. It would be easier to work with her alone but then that would not be nice or right to take either away so we just deal with him being a brat.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/13/07 09:45 AM

Hey Shawna and Brenda!!! I think its time for updates!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/14/07 04:39 AM

We are moving really slowly here. Gizzy is becoming a bit more friendly and outgoing, Dexter seems to be stopped in his friendliness. But, not moving backwards, we will see about that after I clean his cage tomorrow, though! He's not grabbing me through the bars, and not trying to bite me if I'm close, so that is very good laugh I'm disappointed that he isn't moving as fast as your Buffy did, but I have to remember, she's known you longer than he's known me(only 2 months and 4 days now). And those first 3 days were a nightmare of constant change, stress and moving. So, I'm taking it slow and trying to be philisophical about it.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/14/07 11:21 AM

Hang in there, with Buffy It was just wake up and she was better. She still gets her moods. I have to keep her pouch open 2 or 3 inches at all times or she reverts to her old self. Even then it wasn't as bad as before. She just lunged and crabbed. Open pouch up a little and shes fine. Patience and learning to really watch their bodies is key with these guys. Buffy gets tense thats how I know that whatever I am doing is upsetting her. Before learning to work with her, I would have sworn there was no warning signs but now I pretty much know them. Just hang in there girl, I know its hard and emotionally draining. Two years with Buffy probably helped us greatly.
I am here to help as much as possible. hug2 hug2 hug2

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/14/07 11:29 AM

I agree slow is the best thign and take your time with each step. You have a long time together and reinforcing the good things take time. They need to get the good things engraved in that head of theirs. Leila is taking very small steps at this point as she wants to trust but is still leary of a lot of things.
Glad they are on the uphill swing and not reverting backwards. Good Job

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/17/07 03:02 AM

laugh Good news! I was gathering dishes earlier, and Dex was up eating something in the corner, and didn't move when I came in the room. Well, I thought it was Gizzy, and said "Hi, honey, having a snack? Want some more?" And pulled the plate out. She/He didn't move, no reaction at all. So I got the treats out and offered, and he came over and it was Dexter!!!! OMG, he didn't want the treat, but he didn't want to eat me, either smile Yay!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/17/07 03:03 AM

That is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!! Very positive step!!! wooohooo

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/17/07 05:27 AM

So glad to here Dexter is making progress!!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/17/07 01:39 PM

He took a treat from me this morning smile

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/17/07 06:38 PM

Yayyyy Dexter clap

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/18/07 04:13 PM

wow. I just took a whole hour almost and read every post in here... I am amazed with the progress that ALL the gliders have made. Buffy especially. Thus, I have decided to buy a pouch protective pouch for my little girl Rikku. She isn't really a pitbull biter... but she is a HORRIBLE nipper. I mean horrible. She nips quite hard and has drawn blood on more than one occasion. She is in "bra baby training" and got one of my "girls" last night... and that was kinda the last straw. crazy I'm ready to make a change with this little girl. So, other than the pouch, is there anything else I can do?

If someone wants to PM me on this, it would be greatly appreciated. Once agains, congrats you guys! Your patience is what drives me for Rikku. if you can change your biters, I know I can change mine. laugh
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/18/07 04:20 PM

What is a 'pouch protective pouch'???? I think maybe I could try this with Petey, even though he has made great progress. Does anyone have a pic?

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/18/07 04:26 PM

http://www.thepamperedglider.com/home.htm

go here, then go under "products"

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/18/07 05:52 PM

These pouches are truly amazing and I feel its what turned Buffy around so quickly.
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/18/07 06:09 PM

Ok, maybe I am dense. How did it turn a protective glider into one that is not. Is it because it is not fully closed on the sides?

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/18/07 06:33 PM

what the idea of it orignally .. was it was hung on the side of the cage.. it was designed for gliders that when in the pouch, they carabbed and bit, lunged. But out of the pouch they were fine.. the design of it, allowed the owner to quickly take the pouch from closed quarters, to fully exposing them, thus removing the need for protective behaviour.

I asked shelle when we were were talking at the beginning, I wouldn't know how this would work on buffy, i asked her if she was willing to try something.. seeing that not only was buffy pouch protective, but also cage protective..

I thought about it more and more.. and had jack in one, he was very very scared because of his one eye, and angel was extremely protective of him, at all times, they were doing so well, i figured why not try it with buffy..

Shelle was willing to try..

the idea behind the way she is using it, (not on the side of the cage like a pouch, but as a hammock of sort, where the bottom of the pouch is stictched up to give the pouch feeling, but open wide so she could see everything in her environment..

in essence, when she couldn't see but only hear a sound, "her space" that she needed to protect caused her to be reactive.. protecting as far as she could reach AFTER her adrenaline was pumping and she was in fear.

with the pouch being used in the open position, it allowed her to see every sound, at all times , her environment grew from not only her pouch (limited sight), but now to the entire room. thus making everything in the room, a "norm" in her environment. so the movements and sounds, and little things that startled her before, now was okay.. she could SEE that nothing was out to harm her.

This takes time, nothing happens over night, and it also requires a lot of work between the owner and the glider, it requires the owner to (in spite of the previous biting) to learn to feel confidant and relaxed and begin a new trust. To be patient, consistant and always think of the gliders fear factors at all times, the owner must learn the gliders body language, learn to see when she is afraid, what startles her, and try their best to reassure her. But most importantly, look at your glider, and tell yourself, if this is the best they will be, that you will still love them..It requires the glider to open it's heart to no longer want to be afraid.

I hope this has helped to answer the question..

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/18/07 06:42 PM

I agree with Bourbon, with Buffy it took me major courage to stick my finger in the pouch for a treat. It does take alot of work and commitment but seeing Buffy not terrified anymore is worth soo much. I do not think she will ever be able to be in a regular pouch. I tried to let her in one to transfer to the tent and she was instantly the old Buffy. I don't know if this is just her or all gliders like her. I love these pouches and she can stay with it forever. Shes not a cuddle bug or wants to be held. I have learned that I cannot touch her head at all. Which is fine, its just her. My goal starting was for Buffy to be happy and no more blood shed on me. We have accomplished these goals. We can go to the tent for some play time without me being terrified and Buffy actually enjoying herself.
If not for Bourbon, Teresa and the pouch, Buffy would still be a terrified sad glider.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/18/07 07:00 PM

shelle, please do not give me any credit, the work came from you and buffy, together you both accomplished your goals..

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/18/07 07:05 PM

You guys held my hand and gave me the courage to do what you told me to do lol, You know how terrified of her I was. I had finally given up when you guys jumped in to show me the way. I was lost, 2 years and Buffy was at her worst behavior, theres only so many bites I could take. Then you guys showed, well told me what to do and I followed it to the letter. Poor Buffy every hour on the hour lickys until she was tired then every 2 hours. We are now in a great routine. One that will take us through the rest of our lives together or until she will allow another glider near her.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/19/07 11:58 PM

Well should update on Buffy. Well she had a day lol. The girl I'm glider sitting for wanted a peek at the infamous Buffy, well Buffy unpredictableness showed. She lunged and crabbed with the girl just looking, poor Carmen and Buffy but Buffy is back to her sweet self now.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/20/07 02:26 AM

Awww, poor girl! Do strangers upset Buffy as a general rule?

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/20/07 05:06 AM

Aww Shelle I am sorry she had a bad day frown Maybe next time she will like your friend.

Shelle Leila also does not do well in a regular pouch. We lost power the other night and it was getting pretty cold in the house so I had to put them in a regular pouch with blankets. Well lets just say it was a special treat that I will not be offering unless needed again. She went right back to wild Leila. But once back in her Protective Pouch she was fine I could pet her and everything was all better. Needless to say Hubby got to go get a generator so house will not get cold next time power goes off (Ok so it is not just for the gliders I was cold too)

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/20/07 11:13 AM

Shawna Buffy usually loves strangers, all the attention, Maybe because Carmen smelled like "different" gliders maybe. buffy normally loves people "ooh'ing " and "aww'ing" over her lol. She was just having a off day, its ok. Shes back to loving mom so thats all that matters lol.
Yeah Brenda, Buffy cannot be in a regular pouch either, but thats ok too.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/21/07 08:10 PM

Aww, that is good. Makes it easier to have people over!
Day by day we get just a bit better. Dex let me give him a treat again today, it was a peanut and he went right to work eating it. They let me adjust their pouch today, they were in it and awake, and I tightened up the S hook on it, so it will stop falling down. No big for them. YAY!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/22/07 12:08 PM

That is wonderful!!!!!!!!! Keep up the good work, things will keep getting better!!!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/23/07 09:01 PM

I moved Buffy into a 5 foot tall cage as she was getting board in the 4 foot one, Better places to hang non hiding toys, Will keep everyone updated!!!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/24/07 03:06 AM

jump jump He licked me! He licked me! I put my (shaking) finger up to the cage bars, and he came over and stuck his nose through, and put his teeth on me, I didn't flinch (much) then he licked me! jump So we did this for like 5 minutes, I had to keep coming back to do it again. He'd run over to me sniff me, put his mouth on me then wander off. He did grab my shirt and bite it, then pulled it into the cage and (try to) mark it. He's neutered. B was on the phone with me and said that I should put the shirt on the cage for him. Gotta wait til I can trim nails, though. I am just so darned excited! I could pop, he likes me! Of course, I am the slave that brings him nuts (I found his snack weakness). Gonna have to find a replacement, can't do that for very long.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/24/07 03:15 AM

Hmm Yoggies?//
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Isn't it exciting when you get a break through???? Have you tried licky treats? That might be a better option then taking things with the teeth, thats what we did at first with Buffy

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/24/07 02:45 PM

He doesn't like yogurt, pudding, babyfood, yogies, dried fruit, yogurt covered raisins, or anything else you would normally give them. The only thing he likes is nuts. I'm only giving them a couple of times a week, but I think I'm gonna order some worms and see how he likes those. Sigh, he's not easy but its so worth it!
BTW, he did NOT like me after I took my bath.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/24/07 03:50 PM

applesauce, was a great treat for Buffy in the beginning. The move to the big cage has really lifted her spirits, theres a saucer hanging toy in ther that she fell in love with, not sure who makes it, it was given to me. Once I find the maker will have to scrounge the money to get her a couple more lol. Shes limited on the types of toys she can have poor baby.

Oh I moved my horribly pouch protective glider into the special pouch yesterday and hes already 99 % better. I bumped the cage n not a peep just a look, his extreme hyperness is better already. I thought he was just a hyper glider, I realize now after being in the new pouch, it was full terror causing him to be hyper.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/24/07 06:00 PM

I've seen that before, with my Smeagol. He was so scared of everything that he would run in circles in the cage, because he was too scared to focus enough to find a hiding spot. He overgroomed his back, he had several bald spots on the lower back area. He wouldn't eat. I did the same thing we've done with these other guys (minus the pouch), but very exposed, talk to him a lot. Hands in the cage, make him get used to me. Now he is in my colony of 5, and you can't tell him and Fuzzy apart. They are so laid back, they will come hang out on my arms while I'm in thier cage. Check my hands at feeding time, take treats, whatever. Its awesome.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/24/07 06:35 PM

Thank goodness no over grooming here and he eats enough for 2 gliders lol, he eats very very slow and is grossly food aggressive with other gliders, he was pulled from a trio because of intense fighting over food. He unfortunately is a lone glider right now, was hoping he and Buffy could be friends but nope she wants nothing to do with him PERIOD.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/26/07 01:49 AM

Sometimes it takes a while to find the best friend for them. Good luck with it.
Last night we had an okay night. He only likes me I guess when I am really stinky! LOL, we need some tent time. I gotta work up some serious amount of courage for that one. laugh

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/26/07 12:00 PM

Shawna wear battle gear thats what I did with Buffy, two or three shirts, one with hood. Oversized sleeves to tuck your hands in. This one is the biggy, sweats or something with a tight cuff so the glider doesn't go up your pants!! I have gotten really lax with Buffy, I still do the sweats but just me, I wear t=shirts or long sleeve shirt, The first time can be scary. I had my dads g/f outside of the tent with a oven mitt ready to pry Buffy off if needed lol. She was pretty good the first time until she found a toy she could hide in/

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/26/07 09:25 PM

Gonna try it this week end, unless I chicken out. LOL, I am nervous. But, we are still doing the hands by the cage thing and it is going really well. He puts his teeth on me, and I make the psst sound and he looks around all innocent like "What, I didn't do anything!" Goober!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 04/26/07 09:45 PM

You might try resting your arm IN the cage before you jump head first into the tent. I wore a think long sleeve sweatshirt when I first started putting my arm in Buffys cage.
She sniffed me and was like yeah ok your here BUT watch me run on my wheel or hang upside down lol

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 05/01/07 09:56 PM

I am interested in using the pouch for my 5 gliders (they sleep together but the oldest female is protective and crabby) Can you post closer pics of it or a diagram? I have a home made hammock that I would like to modify into the pouch protective pouch. Once I see if it will help my suggies I will order the real deal. lol $15 is a bit much if I am not sure they will like it. They won't go into the hammock when their hanging tunnel is available.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 05/01/07 10:19 PM

http://www.thepamperedglider.com/products.htm
heres the link, she makes pouches for pairs and a family size one, you can e-mail her for sizes and things. HTH

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 05/05/07 05:12 PM

jump jump Really, really good news! Woot, woot! First, last night, I got to pet Dexter in his cage. He didn't even care, or try to bite, or anything. Okay, thats exciting right? Right? Well, this morning (I've only been up for about an hour) I tried to give him a treat, and he didn't want it, and he had that look, Shelley you know what I mean, like I wanna bite you. So, I gave him my hand so he could see it was me. He tried to bite, but I told him psst, pretty quiet and he let go. It was more of a putting his teeth on me thing. Anyway, tried to give him another treat, and he was too, I guess up is the word. All over the place. I put the whole treat bowl in his cage and said, fine you pick. He didn't want a treat, he wiggled his way out of the cage by my arm, marked my hand mlove Then climbed up my arm and ran to my back. All I could think is oh, God, my ears! LOL, scooped him back and he went back in the cage, and after some maneuvering got him off of me and the door closed. HE WANTS TO PLAY!!!!! I think he likes me. I'm so happy I could cry.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 05/05/07 08:37 PM

DEXTER LOVES HIS MOMMY!!!!!!!!!

This is fantastic news. I am so glad you got to pet him. It seems so taken for granted that we can pet our gldiers but when you have one you have not been able to do this with it is such a wonderful feeling to have that first PET/scratch.
Congratulations Shawna
You know one thing is it has been an full moon and I know my gliders have been barking all night long and acting a bit strange so be aware of this.

Keep posting as we love hearing the good things that come from this pouch.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 05/05/07 08:44 PM

That is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its wonderful when theres a great improvement and when you start noticing the body language before the bites!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 05/05/07 11:52 PM

LOL and you goal was what??? Great job Dex

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 05/06/07 04:13 AM

We did the climbing on my arm thing again tonight. Sooooooo exciting! He peed on me! (okay that's just sick, I'm thrilled that he peed on me, LOL) This is very, very stressful for him, I can tell by watching his body language, but not scary, just new. He IS still trying to bite, but that quiet psst stops him instantly. He tries to mark me, but really can't because he's neutered. He groomed my hand for a few seconds, but he is very jumpy about the whole arm in the cage thing. I think its cause he wants the whole enchilada, not just my arm smile We will have to try bathroom time, soon. But, I can have my hands in his cage without fear.
PS, B-I don't remember what my goal was! LOL!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 05/22/07 08:37 PM

Ok I am excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Up until the MWSGGA Buffy had few toys in her cage. Gliderz5 made Buffy some toys, one was a side pocket. Buffy loved it, Me being scattered brained and left ALL the fleece blankets in. Well the first day in it Buffy just crabbed and acted like her old self. Today I decided to give her lickys in it to see if I could leave the blankies. Well this morning she just peeked out came to the side of the toy and took her lickys just like always!! I'm happy that Buffy has bonded enough now that she can have real toys!!! She also has a hanging treat cup which at night turns into the Buffy swing lol. I was worried with me being gone 3 days I would have trouble with her. BUT she loves Mommy!!! I'm sorry this is long but I'm sooo excited!!!!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 05/23/07 04:39 AM

yayyy, wtg Buffy smile

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 05/23/07 12:11 PM

I am so glad to hear Buffy and her Mommy have a much better bond now!! Way to go for both of you. Just goes to show you every glider has a second chance at having someone love them they can trust. All's it takes is the right pouch and some licky treats um and a wonderful person with years of persistance and pacients....

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 05/23/07 05:01 PM

Shelle, I'm so happy that Buffy loves her new side pocket & treat bowl! I thought they might work with her since they are both very open. Please post a picture of Buffy in her new toys when you get a chance.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 05/24/07 01:47 AM

I have a ?

Why is she referred to as a "pitbull" biter?

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 05/24/07 03:16 AM

They are referred to as Pitbull Biters because they will bite down, lock their jaws and rip through your skin, then repeat as necessary until you get the hint and leave them alone. (sorry a little tired humor)

Good news at our house, too! Hubby had to feed the babies when I went out of town this week end. Dex was up when they pulled the plates, and put them back, and no one got bit. Now, just so you know, my husband has been in the glider room, maybe, 3 times, ever. So, nice progress!

Shelly, that is awesome news about Buffy! Congratulations.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 05/24/07 12:14 PM

That is very interesting. I have a pitbull rescue league along with my gliders and glider rescue and have never heard it put in such wording. I guess the context of it just kind of threw me off.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 05/24/07 12:27 PM

Shawna, that is wonderful congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 05/24/07 08:11 PM

Glad Dex was a good glider for his Dad. So far this has worked well with these untrusting gliders and have taught them to trust us humans again. I almost forget at times with Leila now and just stick my hand right in like any other cage to give treats.

Paigea42 we mean nothing against Pitbull's by using this term or do we have anything against the dog breed. I think Pits are a great breed given a chance.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 05/24/07 08:51 PM

Shawna and Brenda you guys have to check out the side pocket from gliderz5, I'm not sure how your two gliders are but Buffy could literally have few toys unless just hanging toys. Well this pocket the way its made Buffy can still see out of and easy access for treats. She refuses her pouch protective pouch now!!!! wooohooo progress!!! I still cannot pick her up or touch her head but thats fine with me!! Shes happy now!!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 05/24/07 09:53 PM

what is the link for the side pocket? I would like to see what it looks like.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 05/25/07 12:05 AM

The side pockets are great but they don't photograph well. They tend to look like mops. They are available in both side pockets and corner pockets. Both are really cool. I have some here and I'll try to get some good pics of them. Try being the key word here.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 05/25/07 01:12 AM

I never took any offense, i've just been breeding and raising gliders for almost 5yrs and never heard of it termed as such and was curious ;-)

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 05/26/07 06:15 AM

Teresa, don't photograph well is an understatement LOL.....in all the pictures I've taken, the glider looks like it is sitting in/on a mop. Matter of fact, I was told that I should rename them "Mop Pockets" because of that. If you go to my website, I have a picture of the Side Pocket with Miss Sydney showing it off....However the ones who really like to show it off are my Trio of Baxter, Bailey & Carina. They love to go sit in their pocket & take a bath after dinner.
Now.....the Side pocket is made out of Hardware cloth with fringe around all of the edges. The back is left open so the glider can peek out that way. There is also an opening the entire way around the front edge so the glider can peek between the fleece fringe. Depending on your gliders needs, the fringe can either be long & fluffy or short allowing more "windows" for them to peek through. Also because it is made of the hardware cloth the entire top area is open. This gives them a good view of what is going on around them.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 06/03/07 12:18 AM

Ok I'm pretty sure I posted this somewhere BUT I took Buffy's pouch protection pouch out today!!! She hasn't used it since the MWSGGA!! Her new Side pocket is her "pouch" LOL She loves that thing to death!!! If you guys haven't ordered one it is a must have, be it biting gliders or just regular gliders. They can still see you and interact without the bulk of a regular pouch!!! I'm soo proud of Miss Buffy!!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 06/03/07 01:16 AM

:+) Shellie this is great news but I feel like my PP buddie is no longer. I am so glad for Buffy and you this is a huge step in trust. Can you hook me up with how to get one of these new inventions that Buffy has??
Can you take a few pictures of her in it also?

Thank you

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 06/03/07 01:21 AM

Aww Brenda we can still have pity parties!! lol The side pocket is made by gliderz5, I will post a link to her page that has pics. I borrowed my digital camera but got to get the software to upload them lol. Its beyond cute!!! Oh the treat bowl is a big play swing to Buffy, I don't know how she doesn't make herself dizzy lol. Trust me in time I will be ordering alot more of these. But right now theres just no extra, ordering more wheels, a rept and who knows what else lol.

http://www.chriscreations.741.com/id37.htm

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 06/03/07 11:56 PM

Shelle, I'm so glad that Buffy adores her side pocket and swing. I'm glad I thought of suggesting it to you as something that she "might" be able to have in her cage as a "toy". I never even thought that she would decide to replace her pouch with it, but I'm very glad that she has progressed to the point where she can have a choice.

For those of you wondering what it looks like, here is a picture of one. Just be warned tho, they don't look like much in a photograph. Even with a glider sitting in them they still look like mops. laugh

Attached picture 9254-GliderSidePocket.JPG

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 06/04/07 09:28 PM

Ok I know your all sick of my updates!! But can't help it. Up until revently touching Buffys head has been a major NO but today while eating a yogurt drop I started rubbing her back and then decided why not touch her head. Well I ended up rubbing her head even between her eyes! She loved it but not sure I'll try without the yoggie!! lol I sure wish she could have a friend. I know I bug her alot but its not the same. I'm happy she KNOWS mom is a great person now!!
I say we leave the thread open for others to post updates, Come on Shawna, Brenda or anyone else!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 06/04/07 09:41 PM

OMG SHELL - that is GREAT!!!!! woohooo!!!! Congrats!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 06/04/07 09:51 PM

THANK YOU!!! Its been a long hard road but Buffy worked the miracle!! Of course Bourbon, Teresa and sugeebaby helped a ton. All I did was bug her to death and realized that is was up to Buffy and to respect her limits. People with extreme biters need to step back, take your time and respect their likes and dislikes. Biters normally like Buffy had serious fears. Once we starting learning what were her issues, i.e. her head touching, closed up areas like a pouch.
After 2 years we have success!!! lol. Edited to say we had this break through in what 2 months? I can't remember now lol.
I do want to hear from the other ladies that have been using the new techniques!!! Step forward! Buffy and I are stepping back, Our accomplishments are more than I ever expected!! Poor Bourbon doesn't have to have anymore crazy phone calls with me over Buffy now!!! lol Love ya B but I know I drove you nuts! Teresa you know I'll still bug ya over all the rest of the crew!!! lol

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 06/05/07 04:10 PM

Oh, we are still doing well, thank you! We are doing worms again for the first time in well over a year. Dexter takes them so nicely! Actually, he rushes to the side of the cage, looking all fierce, then very nicely takes it from my hand with his hand, then tears into it! Its kind of funny to watch, LOL, literally "don't bite the hand that feeds you!"

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 06/05/07 04:20 PM

Thats very awesome!!! Can your guys have regular toys now?

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 06/06/07 04:41 PM

Ok, Buffy and I will be going through some trials the next few days/weeks. We are heading to the vets soon, Buffy has a swollen face. Thank God Bourbon helped me figure out transport with out a pouch and ideas for giving her medicine. I will update everyone when we get back, everyone keep Buffy in your prayers. I got to get off here and get Buffys temp cage set up.
Bourbon again had to help me and listen to me be hysterical over Buffy. (((((hugs))))))))) thank you sooo much B!!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 06/06/07 08:17 PM

PLease update us as soon as you can Shelle... Thought are with you both. Call if you need to lean on someone.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 06/07/07 02:35 AM

We are home after a interesting vet visit. Lets say Buffy vs. vet tech n Buffy won the first round. Unfortunately she reverted to the old Buffy, full on pit bull bites. We got great news though! No abcess, no bad teeth and no infection! The vet thinks its just a bruise kind of. We started her on metacam and I made them give her baytril just in case. They trimmed her nails.
We were going to do the e-collar to insure I could medicate her, the vet refused the e-collar, as it was stressful and didn't feel it was necessary. We got home and Miss Buffy sat up and took her meds like a pro. No problems at all. I followed up with tons of licky treats. They had a awful time weighing her. The scales have to be off bigtime. They weighed Buffy in at 220 grams. Theres no way, shes very tiny!
I pray the meds knock the swelling down. I will keep everyone updated

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 06/07/07 12:44 PM

Well I cheated today and gave Buffy her meds in licky treats lol. My major concern is shes not eating! Just the yogurt off her plate. I'm going to try to give her staple as licky treats and just put the fruits n veggies in for her at night with a small amount of staple in case she decides she wants it. She was up all night running on her wheel, which is a major improvement!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 06/11/07 12:40 AM

Shelly, I hope you can get her better! Any idea how the bruise happened? Is she back to normal at home, or are you kind of a few steps back? Let us know how it goes.
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 06/11/07 12:48 AM

It sounds like things are going along pretty good. I'm sure that she will make improvements more and more each day. Do you suppose she fell while running in her wheel?

Off topic....any package yet????

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 06/11/07 01:18 AM

I am honestly at a loss how she got hurt, I did switch her to a whodent from a rescue so thats possible, thanks Linda!! Didn't think about that.
No package, I'm still watching.
I'm attaching some pictures of Buffy in her side pocket.

Shawna no set backs! If anything it brought us closer together. I only get pathetic crabs when I remove her blankies for meds.

Attached picture 9535-sidepocket.jpg
Attached picture 9536-sidepocket2.jpg

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 06/11/07 03:21 AM

That is wonderful! Congratulations!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 06/13/07 06:02 AM

Shelle, I haven't been posting cause we talk so often but I just want to say to you, Brenda and Shawna. I am so proud of all three of you!

You guys have changed the world. You three have set and proved out new methods for dealing with the extreme biters. This is a major advancement. Without your love, care, concern and dedication, these gliders may have ended up back in the rescue system. You have opened the door for so many more to learn trust and to find forever homes where it was doubtful before.

This is absolutely AMAZING! Congrats to all three of you and your little EX-pitbull biters!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 06/13/07 06:13 AM

It was brought to my attention that I have been posting on Buffy's medical but not "how" she is doing. Well through Buff's sickness, we made new leaps and bounds.
I can now officially touch every part of Buffy. I can give belly rubs, chin, I can rub ALL over her face now!!!
Bourbon had me read through this whole thread. All I can say is WOW!! I sat here and just cried my head off. I "remembered" what went on but reading it really hit home how far Buffy and I have come.
Please if anyone has a biter please do NOT give up on them!!! BC CHINS, USMOM or myself will try our best to help!! I am not a "expert" at all but will try my best to help and call poor Bourbon and Teresa for help when I am lost.
First thing for everyone with a biter. A pouch protection pouch is a must!!!
I will keep posting as Buffy and I progress, I have no clue how much more we will BUT this is far more than I ever expected!!!!!

I still gotta give several ladies a big thanks. Bourbon, Dancin, Sugeebaby, BC CHINS without you ladies I would have been lost!!! ((((((HUG)))))))). There are just no words for how thankful I am!!!!

Everyone we need updates!!!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 06/13/07 08:21 PM

Shelle we are proud of you and Buffy. Who would have thought she would come this far. Bourbon of course she just knows these things. And gee tummy rubs oh so cool I love when they get all comfy and lay on their backs or pick up that front leg so you can get the whole tummy area.

Thank you to everyone who helped us learn about the Pouch Protective Pouch. It makes such a big difference with these gliders who are just upset and confused about life on the outside of a reg pouch.

Leila is doing well. She will walk up and greet me every morning with a sparkle in her eye instead of fear and distrust. It warms my heart that instead of her biting me she will now smell my hand look for her treat and then walk up my arm and let me pet her. Now she does try to get into my arm sleeve and is not allowed as we have no idea what might happen from there and really I do not want teeth marks in my armpit! We also do tent tine and she is not a big player but she waddles around and comes bavk to see me.

Thank you Teresa for the compliments and all you do for the gliders and Thank you to The Pampered Pet for making these pouches and not charging a ton for them so many other gliders can become like our Buffy and Leila.

My friend has been using one also and is seeing great results from it. She had a 5 month old crabby glider and she wanted to head off the problem now and it is working great for her.

Keep up the good work Shelle and Buffy and everyone else who is using this pouch.

If anyone needs help just like Shelle we are here to guide you.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 06/13/07 08:51 PM

Just Amazing! Congrats ladies!!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 06/24/07 06:50 PM

Yesterday was a red letter day! We did outside of cage time in the bathroom, and it went wonderful! They crawled all over me, can any one say spikes! Yipe! But they played and ran and just generally had a good time. Dex got that look in his eyes a few times when climbing my shirt, because parts of it were draped over other parts, and looked like a hiding place, so I had to keep my shirt pulled tight. Gizzy, on the other hand, is a biter, too. Her bitey instigator is worms. I had to hide my right hand, because she could smell them and would try and eat my fingers 0.0 But, my left hand she was fine with. No biting or anything. It was grand!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 06/25/07 01:40 AM

dance dance dance dance
That is wonderful news!!!!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 06/25/07 02:07 AM

Shawna,
FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YIPEE!!!!!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 06/25/07 03:54 AM

Great news. I am so glad they like interacting with you more and more. It is a great feeling.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 06/25/07 04:42 AM

It was awesome. They never went to far away from me, and checked in frequently. They were a little stressed when they went back to their cage, checking everything out, but were fine a few hours later. Definite progress!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 06/30/07 12:47 AM

I have to remind you of this post...

Quote:

USMom
Master Glider Member

Loc: Austin, TX

content Online
Adding two pics of the biter. I was wrong about who it was. It is Dexter, not Gizmo. The first pic is hysterical! I keep thinking of someone in prison, I'm gonna get you when I get out of here! The second is kind of scary. He was biting the bars all over the cage. Any place I had touched. I touched it a few times to check. It wasn't random, he wants to eat me.

Attachments
http://sugarglider.net/images/6922-100_1910.jpg
http://sugarglider.net/images/6921-100_1911.jpg

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 06/30/07 01:03 AM

Here is a picture of Dex from last weekend. It is the same glider, I swear!

Attached picture 10187-100_1950.jpg
Posted By: Jackie_Chans_Mom

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 06/30/07 01:47 AM

What an amazing transformation. He is so sweet looking now! Way to go!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 07/01/07 10:16 PM

That is sooo awesome Shawna!!!!!!!!!!!! I can remember when we were both scared to touch out two lol. Look at us now!!!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 07/04/07 03:16 AM

Well, Cheez Whiz, you'd think he was a pet or something! He waits on the side of the cage for me when I'm in the glider room, you know, like those other ones do. gangel And tonight, when I fed them, I had to let him mark me and groom me. And he had to pay special attention to the cut on the cuticle of my thumb. And then he had to get in the palm of my hand, and rub the top of his head all over me, all cute like. angel Sheesh, I guess we'll keep him smile

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 07/05/07 04:03 AM

OK Buffy and I received the best complements ever today!!! My sister in law hasn't seen Buffy for a year, Well she came to help me feed and she goes to Buffys cage and puts the plate in AND comes running screaming. " Shelle I fed Buffy!!!!!!!!!!! She didn't crab or try to bit me! lol. She was in total shock!! I forget now that Buffy allows ANYONE in her cage now!! lol She went and told everyone at the family gathering that Buffy is "nice and sweet now!!!!"
So now Buffy and I have swelled heads today!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 07/05/07 04:10 PM

Yay!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 07/05/07 05:10 PM

Now that is the best ever seen as most people have no idea!!!
Posted By: Mel2mdl

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 07/05/07 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: USMom
Here is a picture of Dex from last weekend. It is the same glider, I swear!

I looked at those two pictures Bourbon reminded us of, then this one and started crying. cry How sweet it is.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 07/05/07 05:19 PM

Exactly! I am so proud of our babies and how far they have come, as well as how far I have come. Attitude wise, myself. It's interesting to watch the changes and how one change causes another, coming from both directions.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 07/15/07 05:51 PM

If Buffy keeps acting excited about the glider girl beside her named Tara. She just "might" get a roomie in the next few weeks, We have been going very slow, only about a month at this so far. No face to faces yet, Too worried but hopefully soon!
Buffy is doing wonderfully, I can rub pretty much all over her now BUT she still does not like being picked up AND thats great to me!! Look how far shes come? Alot more than I honestly expected when B and I took this on.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 07/15/07 06:02 PM

Shelle sound promising that Buffy might like a new roommate!

Leila is doing good when I feed her mealies she now HOLDS my hand while she eats them. She will reach out take the mealie in her mouth and hold onto my fingers while she munches away. I wonder if she thinks if she has my hand as a hostage she will get more mealies! Makes my a bit nervous but I let her do it.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 07/22/07 06:15 PM

Okay, did a major glider room clean yesterday. I moved Dex and Gizzy's cage, and cleaned their toys. I also moved some other cages, tossed one, and washed cage covers. So, the whole room looks and smells different (I usually do these things in stages, but I'm gonna be gone next weekend) Anyway, Dex and Gizzy were a little stressed. Kind of "what happened mom?" and need_hug type looks and some running around. But, after I put my hand in there for inspection, they marked me up and gave me hugs, and seemed to calm down some. Today we change their pouch. Poor babies, I just keep changing things up on them! LOL! But, no biting, just a bit of stress. dance Yay!

For those that have a pit bull biter, they aren't mean, they aren't evil, you just need to know their triggers and work to gete past them. We are here to help, as we've been in the trenches. Please ask questions at any time! I love Dex and Gizzy so much now, there would be so much I missed, had I given them up. They really do want to love you, they are just scared, and don't know how.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 07/23/07 12:38 AM

Shawna that is soo awesome!!! I'm so happy they have settled down and are happy!!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 07/31/07 07:42 AM

I am so proud of all of you, you all (gliders included) have worked so hard to get where you are now..

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 07/31/07 06:06 PM

They're ticked at me right now. They won't come talk to me at all since I came home from the SGGA. cry Back to work, with them, I guess.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 07/31/07 07:33 PM

Buffy went through a day huff when I went to the Midwest, I just went back to waking her for licky treats and in a day or two she was back to normal. Hang in there hun!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 08/07/07 04:46 AM

dance dance dance
Buffy has a friend!!!! FINALLY!!! Its another female, her name is Tara!!!
Posted By: princessmegi

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 08/07/07 04:47 AM

That's wonderful Shelle!!! smile

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 08/07/07 05:08 AM

It was quite a shock for me. I have been doing the cage in a cage intros and tonight I forgot to zip the 65 and heard barking. Rush in there and the glider in the 260 has a tail!!!! Buffy does not have a tail. I realize after 5 minutes trying to get my bearings and not having my glasses on that its Tara running in the 260 with Buffy. I completely panick and get Buffy into the 65 rept. call poor Teresa then get on the computer with T and Bourbon. I went back in and opened up the 65 waited oh 20 minutes go back to peek and they are grooming each other!!! Buff has attacked EVERY other glider I tried pairing her with. Tara was the same way.
But they are being soo loving to each other!! Buffy's ears are all perked up, She had been alone for ohh 5 months maybe. So this is another breakthrough for her!!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 08/07/07 01:44 PM

Shelle, that is soooooooooooo AWSOME! I'm so happy for Buffy & Tara!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 08/07/07 03:38 PM

Yay!!!! Wondermous news!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 08/09/07 06:26 PM

Yay for Buffy and Tara clap you are such a great glider mom Shelle!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 08/09/07 06:32 PM

LOL I was just trying to do what was best for Buffy. The first night she completely ignored me but last night, she came running to the side of the rept and just chittered her head off then back to Tara. I was afraid she wouldn't need me anymore but she still loves mom!!! wooohoooo!!!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 08/09/07 08:39 PM

Yet another milestone. Yippeeeeee

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 08/19/07 04:40 PM

dance dance jump

Okay I'm silly but to me this is HUGE!!!Buffy is in a regular pouch!!! No crabbing, lunging or biting!!!!! I personally think its because Tara is in there snuggling with her!!!
I am just soo happy dance dance dance

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 08/19/07 05:00 PM

dance jump dance WOOHOO!! WTG Buffy!! Congrats on the amazing accomplishment Shell!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 08/19/07 05:37 PM

Oh, that is so great! Yay!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 08/19/07 10:42 PM

Shelle, it's just amazing at how far Buffy has come with this technique. I'm so happy that she is in a regular pouch now & is able to go in there & be happy.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 08/19/07 11:54 PM

Shelle I just fell on the floor!!!!! This is soooo awesome. I want to give you and Buffy a HUGE hug!!

Keep up the great work and I am sooo glad Tara is her BESTEST Friend

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 08/20/07 12:45 AM

hug2 hug2 Thank you everyone!!!
Brenda is was quite a shock for me too!!! I had to do put her n Tara in a pouch to safely move cages. I expected a horrendous fight from her. The last time I tried well it didn't go so well. lol
I can say I have NEVER seen Miss Buffy THIS happy!!! dance dance dance
She is still doing the check on me then run to Tara to "show" me her I guess.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 08/20/07 03:27 PM

We want a picture if you can..........

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 08/20/07 05:31 PM

Ok I'm lazy. Here is pictures of Buffy and Tara in their side pockets. I will try tonight or in the morning to get pictures of her in the pouch! lol
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x208/Kerstinsmom/Buffy.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x208/Kerstinsmom/BuffyandTara.jpg

Ok I felt guilty and took a picture, actually I took a ton but only one really turned out well. But here she is peeking at me.
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x208/Kerstinsmom/Buffypeeking.jpg
Posted By: princessmegi

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 08/20/07 06:54 PM

Shelle, you made me tear up. That is the most amazing thing ever. She is happy with her new buddy and her wonderful Mommy and a normal glider pouch. That is beyond words.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 08/20/07 07:03 PM

hug2 hug2
To be honest, I NEVER expected Buffy to be like this. When Bourbon, Teresa and I started my only goal was for Buffy to be happy and not scared to death!! It was a rough road but I wouldn't change it for anything.
Thank you to everyone that stood by me and gave me strength, and spend countless hours with me crying and panicking hug2 hug2 hug2
Ladies we need updates from everyone please!! Oh and pictures pictures pictures!!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 08/20/07 07:46 PM

Getting caught up on all the updates … this is wonderful proof of what can be accomplished if you keep working with your glider… Congrats to you both!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 08/20/07 11:18 PM

AWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Shelle, she looks soooooo happy in her regular pouch! Look at those happy ears!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 09/03/07 04:08 AM

Poor Dex! I made him and Giz a new cage. It stressed Dex out so much he's been throwing up for I don't know how long. I have been on the phone with B, but am charging my phone right now. Giz is fine, except for hovering over Dex. He will only drink water. I've moved them back to their old cage for now. I will post tomorrow or later tonight as to how he is doing. I'm a little scared though, cause I've never heard of a glider throwing up that didn't die within a short period of time.

Edited to add, he hasn't thrown up in about an hour now.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 09/03/07 10:58 AM

hug2 hug2 hug2
Please let us know how he is doing

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 09/03/07 02:11 PM

Shawna I am sorry Dex is not feeling well. I will keep him in my thoughts that he is ok now.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 09/03/07 04:12 PM

He has not thrown up since about 10 last night. They are back in their old cage, with plans for a very slow intro to the new cage. He didn't eat anything last night, but would take a couple of licks of yogurt from me. This morning, he seemed more himself, but still isn't eating. I will check on him later to see how that is going.
Posted By: morksmom

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 09/03/07 04:22 PM

Poor Dex. hope he is better today. So just moving him can stress them out that bad. I feel bad I just got a new cage and never really thought about it stressing them out. I learn each day on here.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 09/03/07 04:29 PM

Kathy, not normally. Dex is very, very easily stressed. A new toy can cause him to stress for a couple of hours. I had thought he was getting better, but, obviously, I was wrong. Most gliders do not do this. As long as you move familiar stuff with them, they are usually just fine.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 10/10/07 10:29 PM

Well I had another milestone with Miss Buffy today. Before if anyone other than me touched her during rept/tent time I would be horribly attacked!! Well today Kerstin my 5 year old begged to get in the rept with Tara, Buffy and I. I have not let her in since working with Buffy. But I decided oh well gotta see where we are! LOL
Well Buffy came out of the pouch and ran to mom for mealies. Then went to K for more mealies, K just had to pet her. Buffy seemed to actually enjoy. She ran to me and just wanted more loves. Kerstin was like, "See mommy I can touch her whenever I want now!!" It was wonderful. When I finally decide there is nothing more to update Buffy shows me something new. Buffy is no longer a biter!! and is a very happy loving girl now.

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 10/10/07 11:20 PM

dance dance clap

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 10/10/07 11:34 PM

That is outstanding news, shelle!!!! YAY, Buffy!

Re: Pitbull biter needs advice/help - 10/11/07 01:34 AM

jump jump jump jump jump jump jump dance dance dance dance dance dance dance
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL