GliderCENTRAL

Gliders can't see red light

Posted By: GliderGuy93

Gliders can't see red light - 01/28/11 08:45 PM

I can't remember where I heard this, but the idea was you could use red colored lighting to see your gliders playing at night and not disturb them.
Posted By: eterrell84

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 01/28/11 09:39 PM

i have a small blacklight over my cage. you can get the long ones for $10 new at walmart, this is what i use! its great! i can see my babies and they still can play and have fun without brightlights on!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 01/28/11 10:00 PM

I read this, too. so I was going to get custom lengths of red LED rope light for my nursery.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AT2...821EK1QNNSTM86F

I'll feel silly if it turns out that they can see it, but... It can't be worse than having a lamp on! laugh

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 01/28/11 10:06 PM

I have a blue version. Aphrodite just acts like its not on. They arnt very bright at all

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 01/28/11 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Shelby
I have a blue version. Aphrodite just acts like its not on. They arnt very bright at all

It makes sense, in a way -- I mean, red is at the top of the spectrum, right? Time to do some Googling.

I'm reading that zoos use red light in their nocturnal houses because nocturnal animals can't see red light. It would make sense, then, right?

Edit: Better reasoning given below by sugarlope!
Posted By: xoerikae

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 01/28/11 11:12 PM

idk. we had a car style set of lights around the old glider room [what youd put under a car] and when it was white, they wouldnt come out; red, theyd play; blue, they became little demons.
now we just replaced the bulbs in the light in our glider room with a red bulb, and we have a lamp with a white bulb in case we need it.
Posted By: IslandGliders

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 01/28/11 11:26 PM

Two of my gliders find light very aversive and will not play in the tent even if just a single soft lamp is on in the next room. They totally ignore red light bulbs, though! So my experience is that no, they can't see red light.

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 01/28/11 11:37 PM

Those sound like two very good personal confirmations to me! laugh I'd say with that and the zoo's preferences, this is pretty much a "confirmed".
Posted By: Rubym

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 01/28/11 11:54 PM

Mine dont seem to notice red lights. Between the gliders and my geckos I bet my neighbors wonder whats up with all the red lights in my house at night, lol

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 01/28/11 11:56 PM

my guess would be its probably similar to why red lights are used in a dark room for photography.
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 01/28/11 11:57 PM

I've used a red light bulb for almost 3 yrs now and it doesn't seem to affect them at all.

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 01/29/11 02:27 AM

Red lights keep our eyes from dilating. I used to go out to star-gaze. We covered the ends of our flashlights with red electrical tape to keep from randomly blinding people all night shuffling from different telescopes. I think there has to be a similar phenomenon for gliders.

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 01/29/11 02:36 AM

Glad to see we can confirm this one based on all of the findings. I just knew I had heard this somewhere through the years and it turns out there is some truth to it. cool
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 01/29/11 03:31 AM

I don't think it's as much that they can't see it (at all) as red and blue lights do not seem to bother them like the white and yellow lights do. I have used a blue rope light for about 8 years now. I have a dimmer on the overhead light in their room and even at it's dimmest, they are bothered by it. I put their blue light on and they go about their business as if it's still really dark (but I can see them grin ).
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 01/29/11 09:47 AM

Will have to experiment on this one myself. I have a flourescent daylight bulb in their room, but it has a shield over it to dim it and block direct rays.
My girls are fine with it that way but the boys still hate it. I will have to try a red bulb and see if the boys are happier

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 01/29/11 04:56 PM

I would agree with Holydust and sugarlope; since red and blue are towards the end of the spectrum they probably don't bother gliders as much. I would think that these two colors of light are a lot softer than white light.
Posted By: HappyToBeHere

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 02/04/11 09:30 PM

I use a red scarf to place over a lamp during play time, they dont mind at all! But if that scarfs not on well then they're not coming out!

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 02/05/11 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By: sugarlope
I don't think it's as much that they can't see it (at all) as red and blue lights do not seem to bother them like the white and yellow lights do.

I think you're getting into semantics... laugh Why wouldn't red/blue light "bother" them? Because it isn't terribly bright in comparison to white light? That's why we tend to say they can't "see it", because it doesn't radiate as brightly as white light does, and thus, doesn't bother them. If something doesn't bother someone, we tend to say they can't see it enough to be bothered. We're all kind of hinting at the same thing here.

That said, it doesn't really matter. laugh We seem to be in agreement that red/blue dim light = happy, active gliders. So this is good knowledge to have.
Posted By: SariYappa

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 02/11/11 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: lovely1inred
Red lights keep our eyes from dilating...

Now this is very interesting, and in my mind, scientific. Did you learn this from an article? I think I have to go google now, to get a confirmation! Thanks Jessica...

Ok... what I found...
red light actually doesn't make your eye "constrict"... because when they "dilate" this will automatically happen to us humans in the dark. I'm still looking further...
Posted By: SariYappa

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 02/11/11 11:26 PM

I got this information from a police forum... they were talking about covering their lights in red, and another asked if he could do it in blue, because he 'thought' the red bothered his eyes... here is part of the conversation, and you could read it all HERE if you choose (link to quoted text)

Quote:
Q. do all you guys prefer red? red hurts my eyes after awhile. i prefer green or blue. my car has the dome that's white and red w/ the toggle switch. i was thinking about changing it for a blue or green oneYou just maybe need a brighter red light, you may be straining your eyes with too little light.

A. Blue or green (being close to blue in the spectrum) light (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visible_light) will deminishes your night vision, red has zero effect on night vision. Your rods and cones are no different than any other human.

It's also why when you meet a car with bluish headlights or when you follow a police car running code with blues or why when you look at the pretty blue lights on top during a stop, even momentarily, it's spots you see when you look away and it takes a spell to get your night vision back. The human eyes are especially sensative to blue light, and will see it as brighter, and react by constricting the pupil.
There is even evidence (http://videos.howstuffworks.com/sciencentral/2674-eye-damage-from-blue-light-video.htm) that blue light can damage (http://www.sciencentral.com/articles/view.php3?type=article&article_id=218392616)the eyes.

I first started when we still used red lights on our cars. Yeah, at first the blues looked pretty, but I noticed very soon that they were more irritating and that my night vision was deminished with them. I'ld be more than just pleased if we went back to red myself, not nearly as hard on the eyes and I can see in the dark better, and if something is happening bad there's less chance a passing driver is looking away from them bright blue lights.

And now you know why subs and ships have red lights to use before a sailor goes out on deck at night. The pupils will not constrict with red lights...

It has links in the paragraphs to scientific backup, and the video on this one this one is very interesting...

Thought I'd put this out there, since this is the "Fact or Fiction" forum thumb

Soooo, I think I'd choose red over blue wink

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 02/11/11 11:33 PM

like i said - when we had the leds that changed colors, the blues turned 'em into little demons. :dunno
Posted By: DeeDancer

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 02/12/11 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: xoerikae
my guess would be its probably similar to why red lights are used in a dark room for photography.

Red light is actually used in the darkroom because black and white film doesn't respond to red light, it responds to blue/green light. Certain types of light sensitive photo paper is not responsive to red light either. Therefore, red light is used in order to avoid exposing the film and paper when processing and printing. It really has nothing to do with our eyes or how we see light.

Just a fun fact of the day smile

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 02/16/11 09:04 AM

I used my blacklight for the first time tonight and it didnt seem to bother him at all, He was more active actually. He didnt try to hide most of the night (I used just a dim desk light before).

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 02/17/11 03:10 PM

They most definitely see red. At night I'll put the bathroom light on (which is separated by a hallway and then there's the living room, where the gliders are) and I used a laser and 'run it around' the bottom of the cage or the back of the wall. My gliders go CRAZY trying to catch that red light. TOO cute.

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 02/26/11 04:17 AM

Yep, I use the laser with my babies too and they can DEFINITELY see it! I agree with the theory that it just isn't as harsh on their eyes as normal white lights no matter what brightness. People used to say the same about dogs, that they were color blind, and that's been proven wrong too.
Posted By: FuzzierThanMost

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 02/26/11 04:29 AM

so red lights and black lights are ok? or just red light?
Posted By: Johannasgliders

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 03/14/11 05:34 PM

I have a small strand of white Christmas light run around the top of my room. It's a very low light. Almost like the glow of a candle. When those lights are on they think it's time to come out and play. dance

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 03/26/11 04:05 AM

Interested to hear more on if blacklights are ok for our babies...
Posted By: hpyhwn2003

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 03/26/11 04:13 AM

I can't really advise on blacklights but I can tell you that I replaced my overhead bulbs with red bulbs and my gliders no longer go running for the pouches when I flip on the overheads. It's so cool because now I can watch them play to their hearts contant rather than watch their scurring behinds as they dive in thier pouches. ROFL I no longer have to entice them out with gobs of yoggies tho they still expect them when mommy comes to play.
Posted By: eshaw

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 04/21/11 10:02 AM

Just so you know, UV light, a.k.a. "black light, or ultra violet" is fine to use in low power applications but can be a hazard if the source is too powerful. Example, tanning beds.

Red light is often used to observe animals in the wild. It has no direct effect on the pupil and is also safe for nocturnal species.
Posted By: FuzzierThanMost

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 04/21/11 01:35 PM

I use a blue lightbulb in my desk lamp, they dont mind at all!
Posted By: jb7741

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 04/29/11 06:04 PM

After reading this thread, I went out and bought a couple red "party" bulbs. They take a bit of getting used to for me, but the gliders seem to be quite happy during play time.

They seemed to really perk up once I switched to the red bulbs.
Posted By: kjgoulet

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 04/29/11 07:40 PM

I agree, I went out and got red bulbs right away when I got my gliders hearing about this. They are more than happy to come out and night and play when the lights are on. I too wonder what my neighbors think of my red light room lol! I wonder though, if I have the red lights and try to use a red laser light.. Will they see it? Sounds interesting that they could chase it like a cat and maybe get a little more exercise tounge

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 05/02/11 04:39 PM

I'm new and about to get gliders myself; I hadn't heard that gliders are very sensitive to light (although it does make alot of sense). but does what your saying mean that they wont be comfortable in a room with normal lights? or if in the day time we roll up the blinds in the room? (only indirect sunlight of corse) I now know i need a red light for night thanks!!
Posted By: jkajz

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 05/04/11 01:16 PM

we also got a red light. two out of three of our gliders do not mind a little light but one would not come out unless all the lights were off. big difference with the red light! almost as soon as we turn it on he comes zipping out! I also wonder what my neighbors must think smile we have a blue light outside for autism awareness, and a red light on inside for the gliders!!
Posted By: fuzzbuttsmommy

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 05/05/11 11:31 PM

I also read the thread about red lights. I figured with as much money as I spend on my babies whats 20.00 I dont know if its just a coincidence or not. They came out earlier for 3 nights now, They play more,and seen to have better appetites. I'm going to keep track.
Posted By: Gizmogirl

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 05/06/11 08:45 AM

Originally Posted By: fuzzbuttsmommy
I also read the thread about red lights. I figured with as much money as I spend on my babies whats 20.00 I dont know if its just a coincidence or not. They came out earlier for 3 nights now, They play more,and seen to have better appetites. I'm going to keep track.

That's interesting, I will be following your updates on this. thumb
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 05/06/11 11:38 AM

Originally Posted By: NicaSnuggles
I'm new and about to get gliders myself; I hadn't heard that gliders are very sensitive to light (although it does make alot of sense). but does what your saying mean that they wont be comfortable in a room with normal lights? or if in the day time we roll up the blinds in the room? (only indirect sunlight of corse) I now know i need a red light for night thanks!!

Gliders need natural light during the day, to know when it's bedtime, just as we use natural darkness to let us know when to go to sleep. Make their room dark all the time and it'll throw off their body's natural rhythm.
Posted By: fuzzbuttsmommy

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 05/08/11 09:34 AM

Well my Gliders are DEFINITELY LOVING the red party lights. They are still playing more and eating better, which I'm guessing is because they are burning more energy playing. My one cage sits right next to my couch where I sit and my other cage is only a few feet from me. I would sit with my light on low(its a 3 way). Now there is just there red lights. I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!!! I learn something new everyday, Thank You All

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 05/10/11 02:50 AM

This is a great topic! On my own I would have never thought of it! smile I learn so much here!
Posted By: Berg

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 05/10/11 04:37 AM

Most nocturnal animals have retinas composed mostly of rods. Rods are relatively insensitive to long-wavelength light (the red end of the visible spectrum), but are more light sensitive (mid and higher wavelengths). That's why nocturnal animals have predominantly more rods than cones - they are sensitive to light. Their large eyes gather what little light exists at night and the predominance of rods helps them see in the low light. The anatomy of the human eye lets us see in red light, but gliders are insensitive to it.
Posted By: ssuver

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 05/30/11 04:13 AM

This is an interesting thread.

I wonder how it affects people though. Does it hurt one's eyes?

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 05/30/11 10:50 PM

I have one question to add to this thread. Why are they able to see the red light from a laser pointer?

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 05/30/11 11:09 PM

I believe they see the laser pointers red light because they CAN see red light. The light just isn't as harsh on their eyes as the room lights are.
Speaking of laser pointers, I need new batteries for mine. We play with our laser a lot with the gliders.

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 08/02/11 07:49 PM

I used to do theater all the time and we used red taped lights backstage so we could see but red didn't bleed so the audience didn't notice it. I think it may have to do with the length of the red light spectrum...you know what I mean...it doesn't carry so it's less stimulating to the eye. I don't know if that means anything, but it doesn't seem to be intense enough to disturb people or animals in dark settings.

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 08/18/11 03:11 AM

We emptied out the bedroom bathroom,block off sinks and shower.And use it to do Bathroom Time with our little ones until we can get a tent. We tried putting a red light in their tonight and they were very playful.
Posted By: MikeJM

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 08/18/11 01:26 PM

I started using a red light also. Wow what a difference in their activity level. Doesn't seem to bother the boys at all.

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 08/18/11 03:56 PM

hummmm, I think I will give the red bulb a try...

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 08/18/11 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: JillMarie
hummmm, I think I will give the red bulb a try...

Me too; I'm sold. I've been using a night light covered with a thin pink cloth, but I'm not able to get a good enough view of their night time antics. So, red light it is!!
Posted By: midnight

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 09/23/11 04:21 AM

are these the red lights that are usd for lets say, snakes?

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 09/23/11 02:39 PM

Any red light should work, I wouldn't think it would have to be the expensive heat/UV that you use for reptiles. Getting a sheet of red cellophane and covering a dome light that has a regular bulb works the same way when all you are trying to do is alter the light spectrum to red.

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 09/24/11 03:09 PM

the red party lights work real good can get them at walmart for about 6 bucks

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 10/14/11 02:26 AM

Not meaning to "top" you dishman but Lowes sales those bulbs for $2.97.

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 10/14/11 07:25 AM

**cough** buy at Home Depot
Posted By: krysKritters

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 10/14/11 10:44 AM

We use a red light in the glider room too. It is especially nice for my Stitch. She has cataracts and anxiety (she's a rescue) and I noticed the regular light would make her nervous. With the red light, she doesn't act any differently. smile
Posted By: Carolyn

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 10/14/11 03:07 PM

The red lights are great. I have been using them for a while now.
Posted By: Dwiizie

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 10/14/11 03:33 PM

Just my two cents, mine love playing with a laser pointer as much as my cats do. They prefer it to many other types of interactions that I've found. Whether or not they see the color red as we do, I don't know, but I do know they see the light source. I also think that it may be easier for them to be in red light because it IS a slower, longer wavelength, not a bombardment of frequency. A blacklight would be the opposite if I'm not mistaken. If hubby shines a laser pointer in from the outside of the tent, one glider will attack the dot on the tent screen, and another will attack the dot on the floor. I wonder if they would notice any differences in color/sound coordinated frequencies, like some new age chakra things. Like try a Red light with corresponding music tone, and try red light with an opposing music tone, and different combinations, and see if there is any witnessable change in skittishness, reluctancy to come out, etc.

Here is a chart on Chakras and their color frequencies

http://files.meetup.com/1345868/Chakra%20~%20Color%20Frequency%20~%20Food%20Chart.jpg

And here is a music/color combination chart (though the specific frequencies aren't listed and would vary based on instrument and its tuning)

http://www.kyoholistics.co.uk/uploads/5/0/0/2/5002996/1477421.jpg?1296598656

Here is one that includes a bit of all of it:

http://the11thwave.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/chakra-chart-body-tuners-1-09.jpeg?w=590&h=367

Last but not least, here is a site outlining Chakras for animals, rather than the standard human model:

http://www.patinkas.co.uk/Chakra_System_of_Animals/chakra_system_of_animals.html

I'm going to have dancing new age gliders lol.
Posted By: SugarBattyPatty

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 10/19/11 11:55 PM

This is SO interesting to know. I will be getting my
suggies after the holidays and will use this advice. Thanks to you all for all the wonderfull info you provide to this Newbie and so many others
Posted By: pixiedust

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 10/28/11 02:01 PM

After reading this last week, I put a red light in my glider area. I noticed they were a lot more active at night with teh red light on than the ambiant light from teyh kitchen that I used to leave on. I've only had them 2 weeks and teh first few nights they didn't play much at all that I could tell.
Posted By: GlidersNW

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 02/16/12 10:54 AM

Id recommend the Red light. Not the Black light. Black lights are UV as previously stated. UV light is very hard on the eyes. It's like staring into the sun. The difference is you can't see the harmful UV rays like you can the visible light spectrums. UV is between 380-420 nanometers. This spectrum can cause cancer. Exposing your gliders to Black lights can cause vision issues in the later years of your gliders life. I personally wouldnt' recommend it. Just my two cents on the Black light thing.

Red light is visible to the gliders just like it is to you. However like you it won't effect the dilation or constriction of hte pupils.

This isn't semantics. It has nothing to do with how bright the light is. The red light doesn't effect the lights the white and blue do.

Hope this helps.

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 02/21/12 09:45 PM

This is very interesting to me. We had a very old Chihuahua with cataracts. We used a red light bulb in a lamp for her at night so she could see to get water and food if she woke up. She did quite well with it. We usually leave a small night light on for the gliders and have never thought of using the red light as the little dog had to be put down from too many health problems. I am sure the bulb is still good and am going to give it a try tonight. We also have a box of the old-time christmas tree bulbs and they fit into the night light sockets. I wonder if this would work as well as the full size red light?? I can't wait to tell my hubby about this and find out what he thinks about it. He goes to bed a lot earlier than I do and usually misses out on seeing the gliders play. jump
Posted By: Typhoonkitty

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 05/03/13 01:47 AM

I have a red heating bulb for my guy. Course it's in my room so during the nighttime if you look up at my window all you see is a red glow. And tonight's red light special is.... Glider time!
Posted By: peterbenma

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 05/03/13 05:06 AM

After reading this thread, i am definitely going to get some red bulbs tomorrow and see how the babies react. I know they dislike the harsh white light immensely. Thanks for so much great information and discussion on this topic smile
Posted By: Curious

Re: Gliders can't see red light - 04/14/14 12:11 AM

To add my two cents-- a red light bulb works for me as well! (Though, in worry of the 'cataract concern' like others, I use a tall lamp, and the shade covers the bulb completely. The red light is visible through the foggy, plastic lamp shade, but most of the light just bounces off the ceiling.)

And I have a overhang ceiling fan with a regular light for the room's main illumination, I often use it in the room during the day, but if my suggies are awake at all they positively CRAB at it when it's on.
MAMA TURN IT OFF OFF TURN IT OFF.

rofl

They do NOT do this with the red light. In fact, it's the only time I can actually see them at night, really. My boy and one of my girls usually HATES any sort of light in general, but they are not bothered by the red light. (My other girl is pretty fine with anything-- she's my good girl. lol)
© 2022 GliderCENTRAL