GliderCENTRAL

Normal to eat their own poop?????

Posted By: BindiAndScrubbie

Normal to eat their own poop????? - 01/27/09 11:24 PM

I caught my girl eating her own poop. Why would she do this and is it normal?? I know dogs do it but never heard of gliders doing it.

When I told my husband, he said he has seen her do this before!
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Normal to eat their own poop????? - 01/27/09 11:27 PM

It is fairly normal, however, sometimes this is a representation of them lacking certain nutrients or it is also sometimes common in gliders who are stressed.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Normal to eat their own poop????? - 01/27/09 11:28 PM

I don't know if this goes for marsupials too,
but alot of animals will eat their own poop because their digestive system cannot squeeze every ounce of nutrient out of their food, so after processing it into poop, they eat it so it can flow through again and they can get the last remaining nutrients out of it.

I wouldnt be worried, its COMPLETELY normal, animal instinct.

Re: Normal to eat their own poop????? - 01/27/09 11:40 PM

Hmmmm....they recently switched from BML to HPW so both of the diets are good. Let me also add that she could very well be eating her cagemates poop, I don't know if it's hers or his....I just caught her eating it. A little disturbing.
Posted By: GliderLove

Re: Normal to eat their own poop????? - 01/28/09 12:13 AM

I actually caught Kenya doing this her second nite being seperated from her family after getting her mating wound. Other wise I have never seen any of my gliders doing this in 13 years of owning gliders.I have heard of this happening before though. Sorry, I don't have a whole lot of info to give you on it.

Re: Normal to eat their own poop????? - 01/28/09 01:08 AM

That's ok...just a little worried. I have another vet appt for all three next Tues...will run it by her as well.
© 2021 GliderCENTRAL