GliderCENTRAL

"aggressive" grooming?

Posted By: Anonymous

"aggressive" grooming? - 11/13/10 06:09 PM

I dont mean agressive as in biting/scratching/fighting,etc... but lastnight my gliders were grooming eachother rather enthusiastically i guess. Ezra (the chubby one) was on top of jasmine grooming her and when jasmine would try to move ezzy would grab her back with both hands and grip, or sometimes she would grab jasmines tail and not let go. (They were doing this to eachother, I think ezra was just more persistent.) There was no crabbing or anything, they were actually making cherping sounds at one point. They did a lot of hissing at eachother too... I dont know if they might be in heat?? i have never seen behavior quite like this and i have had my girls for about two years.
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: "aggressive" grooming? - 11/13/10 07:04 PM

You may have seen some dominance play. Sometimes pairs (or more) can wrestle around in a show of dominance. It is a more common behavior in young gliders than with established pairs, but it is a type of play to help them figure out who the 'boss' is. lol

Re: "aggressive" grooming? - 11/14/10 05:17 PM

oh ok, lol. yea i could totally see that, I got jasmine first, she was not even a year old when i got her. she was my only baby for about 5 or 6 months and durring that time we spent like 6 hours a night with her out with us. when got ezzy from the same breeder but when we got her she was said to be around 2 years old. we did the whole introduction thing with them and it went pretty smoothly, since we have got them a big hq cage and they get along great except the occasional squabble over a treat... but I do see the hissing a lot, and they seem to have issues sharing the wheel (ezzy is much bigger than jasmine). sometimes if ezzy sees jasmine get in the wheel she frantically runs to it and takes it over... and jasmine tends to get jealous over me and ezzys relationship...lol.. is this all normal behavior?? i just want to know if ezzy could hurt jasmine.. i dont think she would, she is so sweet and never bites, whereas jasmine is the bitey "obnoxious" one.

sorry for the long post, and thanks for any responses:)
Posted By: Gizmogirl

Re: "aggressive" grooming? - 11/14/10 06:21 PM

Your description of Jasmine and Ezra in your signature answers your question, just goes to show how wonderfully different their personalities are! laugh We also have one (the bigger one) that seem to think everything he can see is his, and he blocks the other two from getting to the "nice" toys. shakehead

Spats here and there are pretty normal, as long as they don't ball up. I prefer that each glider has their own wheel. Some love to share a wheel, others don't. tounge
Posted By: Heathr6913

Re: "aggressive" grooming? - 11/14/10 07:46 PM

My cage of 4 has 2 stealth wheels and they all 4 seem to want to run on the same wheel together...lol

Re: "aggressive" grooming? - 11/15/10 01:10 AM

We have actually been thinking about getting another wheel... maybe a cruiser... but i dont know if there would be an issue with them fighting over the stealth over the cruiser or vice-versa. (maybe now im just looking too deep into it...) Thanks gizmogirl for making that suggestion, I have always thought that if I had two wheels for two gliders it might look a little excessive. anything for the princesses though, right smile
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL