GliderCENTRAL

Priscilla's diet questions

Posted By: Anonymous

Priscilla's diet questions - 07/24/08 06:28 PM

I have a two questions regarding Priscilla's diet, if you don't mind. (I want to make sure I am doing everything right.)

1. Does the "The Pet Glider Complete" Multivitamin cover all the supplemental vitamins needed? It would be torture to see a glider go through HLP.

2. She states in her diet instructions, "Break off a frozen piece of the basic mix." How much should be "broken off" and given per glider?

As always, thanks for your help! thanks
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: Priscilla's diet questions - 07/24/08 06:33 PM

1: yes, that covers all your vitamins for the diet

2: you feed one tablespoon of the basic mix per glider
Posted By: SugareeErin

Re: Priscilla's diet questions - 07/24/08 06:35 PM

The vitamin supp is complete. The only other supp is the apple juice diluted with water, I personally give gliderade instead b/c my vet said that would be better.

My gliders eat about one rounded tablespoon each night. When it is frozen its a little harder to portion out, I have seen some people use ice cube trays to freeze it in. I always put enough that there is some left over in the morning, if there isn't I give them more the next night.
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: Priscilla's diet questions - 07/25/08 01:47 AM

I freeze mine in ice cube trays and feed it similar to Erin; if there isn't any left, I feed a little more. thumb

Re: Priscilla's diet questions - 07/25/08 02:20 AM

I also freeze mine in ice cube trays. My boys eat two cubes of the egg mix a night and only one cube of the chicken mix a night. I tend to give them mealies on chicken night since they aren't partial to that mix.
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: Priscilla's diet questions - 07/25/08 02:22 AM

Mine are the opposite, actually don't even make the 'egg' as they will not touch it. I called her and asked if I needed to make it, and she said no it was only for a different protein source.

Re: Priscilla's diet questions - 07/25/08 02:55 AM

I freeze it in small containers that feed the gangs for two nights.....I had the same problem with the egg mixture but i make sure that the egg is mixed with a sweeter fruit and they always finish it off now

Re: Priscilla's diet questions - 07/25/08 03:04 AM

Thanks for the help!

I have one more question. When do you prepare the food? (How long before the babies wake up?)

I will get it all under my belt one day. I just want to make sure I am doing everything right.

Thanks! read

Re: Priscilla's diet questions - 07/25/08 03:05 AM

Originally Posted By: GoGoGliders
i make sure that the egg is mixed with a sweeter fruit and they always finish it off now

I did the same thing too but for my own sake to try and mask the egg smell. Lol. Naners, strawberries, black berries, and kiwi. In the chicken mix I put the "nasty" fruits and vegs (squash, avocado, mango, papaya) that I wouldn't touch but are healthy for the gliders and they don't seem to like it. Ah well.

ETA: I get the food ready at about 9 PM and give it to them at about 9:15 - 9:30 when I go in for play time. Kaiden is usually awake at 8, Hayden by 9 so it gives them a bit to actually wake up and run around a bit.

Re: Priscilla's diet questions - 07/25/08 03:27 AM

I seem to be having trouble getting my gliders to eat the diet. One night is w/egg, next night w/chicken, then a night with just basic mix w/mealworms or crickets. Is there a trick to get them to eat it? And how long do you leave it in their cage? I'm having trouble w/nats. I also have some pellet left over, can I also offer this?
Posted By: mattysmom

Re: Priscilla's diet questions - 07/25/08 03:40 AM

Gee, my gliders all seem to like both the chicken and egg. I follow the instructions on the website (boiled chicken and scrambled eggs with a little Pam spray per Priscilla). I put the mix in ice cube trays, microwave a minute to be able to pop out the cubes and chop some fruits and vegetables into their individual dishes. I feed about 7 pm and remove the dishes in the morning but I don't stress over the time and they've been happy and healthy for 3 years. If you're having difficulty getting your gliders to eat this diet, are you feeding them lots of mealies or leaving a staple food in their cage at all times. Maybe, like kids, they're filling up on mealies or other treats so they don't finish their supper? I feed mealies as treats and usually in the mornings.

Re: Priscilla's diet questions - 07/25/08 03:45 AM

Jenny, when I first started feeding the PP diet in way back when, it used to take me forever to make a single batch....now I whip up 5 batches (with various fruits and veggies in each) AND clean up in an hour....it's so easy, you'll get it quick

Re: Priscilla's diet questions - 07/25/08 03:53 AM

Maybe I misunderstood the diet. I mix my fruit and veggies into the mix and then freeze. I do leave staple food in their cage at all times. Maybe I'll leave less staple, but I worry about them being hungry because they didn't eat the diet. Before I put them on this diet- I fed them fruit and veggies and mealworms or crickets every night. I sprinkled glider booster on them everyother night. I switched because of using a well balanced diet and vitamins. And it is easier for me by making a whole batch and freezing it. Gives me more time to spend with my gliders. Maybe they will just have to get use to it?

Re: Priscilla's diet questions - 07/25/08 04:10 AM

Littlecritters.....that is how I make it as well....I put the veggies and fruits into the mix and freeze it all together, I asked Priscilla about that way back when and it is how she states it on her website...

Re: Priscilla's diet questions - 07/25/08 04:31 AM

Thanks for the information everyone. Tito loves chicken and eggs so I don't have any problem with that part of the diet.

Just when I think I have it all under control a new question comes up so you will probably hear from me again.

You guys have made the confusing issue of diet much easier than it would be alone - thanks!! mlove
Posted By: bbearry320

Re: Priscilla's diet questions - 07/25/08 11:14 AM

I am also using this diet and my little girls seem to love it. Since I mix in the fruits and veggies into the mixture, do I still have to feed them fresh fruits and veggies at night when I give them the mix? I just want to be sure I'm not giving them too much food.
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: Priscilla's diet questions - 07/25/08 11:58 AM

You don't, it is all in the diet. (I put a little extra veggies on top of Petey's because he loves his veggies and that way he doesn't have to wait for it to thaw...lol)
Posted By: mattysmom

Re: Priscilla's diet questions - 07/25/08 02:03 PM

I may have confused the issue by mentioning that I feed fruits/veggies in addition to the "ice cube" which already has them mixed in as stated in the recipe. I like to give them a small piece of fruit or veggie to hold in their hands and munch on. They each grab one and run with it to a corner of the cage. I consider these extra bits as good-for-them treats like when Mom gave us an apple instead of a candybar.
Posted By: Gossamer

Re: Priscilla's diet questions - 07/25/08 02:14 PM

They will tend to eat the most of what they like. If they are filling up on the staple, they won't eat the mix. Try only giving them a small amount of staple until they start eating the mix.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL