- tips
- tricks
- rants
- raves
- things you would change
- things you really dig
- difficulties
- eases

I wanna hear anything you have to say about this diet that would make it easier for someone to make a decision about it! Thanks guys!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/12/07 07:58 PM

Gina I don't know much about Pricillas's. So all I'll say is that when I was researching diets before I got my gliders I found so many great sites about BML and so many people that fed BML and loved it that it didn't take me long to decide it was the diet I was comfortable with. So I guess what I'd say is it is possibly not better or worse than BML, obviously it's different but, it's not as widely known and you don't find as much info about it.
Posted By: RMiriam

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/12/07 08:59 PM

My girls came from P and so were on Priscilla's diet for a year. They liked it, and I liked being able to change it up a bit - sometimes I'd put all the fruits and veggies in the blender so they'd have smoothies; sometimes I'd do the basic mix with chunks of fruits and veggies, etc. They never would eat the chicken mixes, however. I always make a month at a time and store in ice cube trays. I liked that it was easy on a nightly basis - just pop out a couple of cubes and sprinkle on the vitamins. I switched to PML only because I've heard so many good things about WHP and because there was no chicken involved. I think the only drawback to Priscilla's is that you have to order the vitamins from her, which is no different from most other diets.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/12/07 10:03 PM

So, you didn't put the fruits and veggies in the basic mix when you blended them? Or you did, but you blended them first? Without feeding the chicken mixes, just the egg mixes, does it throw off the diet?

I use to feed PML, but my kids went on strike, too bad really, I did like it. Thanks for the info Miriam!
Posted By: RMiriam

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/12/07 10:19 PM

No problem, Gina. Always happy to help! Once a month when I made food, I would divide the unblended basic mix into three parts. Then I would add a different mix of fruits and veggies to each part, for variety. Sometimes I would blend the fruits and veggies into the basic mix, sometimes I would just blend the mix with the protien source(so there were no oatmeal lumps), and sometimes I would just stir it all together with a spoon. Priscilla's diet doesn't really have very set ratios, so I tried different protien sources - eggs, chicken, freeze dried crickets, and once even the Zoomed grasshoppers (sooo gross!). She's pretty loose about all that, as long as they have enough vitamins and the basic mix, plus protien. You have the recipe, right?

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/12/07 11:26 PM

Yes, I got the recipe off her site. I am not so sure about the cereal or the monkey bicuits. Also, it wasn't clear how you were supposed to alternate the chicken mix and the egg mix. And the sprinkle (vits), how do you know if it's enough?

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/12/07 11:35 PM

Hi Gina wave I alternate like this:

Basic Mix w/ Veggies & fruits plus Mealies
Then Basic Mix w/ chicken & fruits and Veggies
And finally Basic Mix w/ egg & fruits and Veggies and so on..

Also, when you get the vitamins it tells you on the bag to sprinkle 1/8 of a teaspoon per glider daily.

I hope that made sense lol.

HTH
Posted By: agilitygliders

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/12/07 11:55 PM

This is one of the best diets my gliders have ever been on. I have the diet on my site if you need it as reference its P's diet.

You are supposed to alternate egg and chicken everyother day. Mealworms can be added everyother day or 10 per glider everyday if the are breeding. Crickets can also be used. I have a list of fruits and veggies that I use if you need it.

All the above info came from P herself.

Also the monkey biscuits and cereal should be left in the cage all day long as a staple just like you would the ZKS with the Sun Coast diet.

Anymore questions let me know.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/12/07 11:56 PM

If you want specifics let me know I can pm you some info! I got lots of reasons why someone should have their gliders on this diet.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/13/07 12:05 AM

Originally Posted By: agilitygliders
If you want specifics let me know I can pm you some info! I got lots of reasons why someone should have their gliders on this diet.

I would love to hear some more specifics on this diet. I've acutally been trying to read up on threads about it!

I'm currently feeding the SunCoast diet, but having troble getting my little booger to eat anything with the Rep-Cal sprinkled on it.
I like the idea of a staple in the cage at all times (we all need a snack now and then right?)

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/13/07 12:12 AM

PM away - though I'm sure there are others that would like the info.
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/13/07 12:50 AM

Billy, please post it here so others can reference it as well. My girls coming next month are on Priscilla's diet, but I currently feed BML, so will need to transition one way or the other wink
Posted By: gliderboy4life

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/13/07 01:11 AM

Hi,
I use Priscillas diet and it works great! You can see my version(same ingredients just the way i found works best) on my site at gliderboygliders.bravehost.com. With the cereal and monkey buscuits i always have cereal avail. in the bowls on the side of the cage. Also with the monkey buscuits i keep one or 2(depending on amount of glidres)on the bottom of the cage. Normally they eat one every night.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/13/07 02:10 AM

We just switched to Priscilla's diet and they licked their plate clean.....they ALL liked it...and they turn their noses up at EVERYTHING
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/13/07 02:15 AM

wave My Two Boys LOVE the Pricillas Diet! They have been on it for almost 8 months. I have never had any trouble with them eating the "basic mix" with her vitamins.

Several people have made wonderful comments on how beautiful my two gliders look (ask Dancing and Alicia)....anyway, what I do is make the basic mix (alone, no chicken, eggs, fruit or veggies mixed in) I freeze the basic mix in ice cube trays once frozen I pop them out and put into a zip loc baggie. I will make a 2 week supply of chicken (boiled) cut into 1" pieces and freeze in a baggie.
I will also make a 2 week supply of ground turkey - cooked in microwave drain off fat. Freeze in ice cube tray then put into baggie.
On alternating nights I will make the egg fresh.

Their evening tray consists of:
Fresh Water
One cube of basic mix (defrosted than add ) alternating nights
1. 1 egg (scrambled thats what mine like) or
2. 1 1" cube of chicken or
3. 1 1" cube ofground turkey

a side dish of Fresh Cut Fruit 1 tbsp
and a side dish of fresh veggies 1 tbsp
I will sprinkle 1/8 tsp. of the vitamins over entire tray evenly.

During the day for a snack if they get up I keep a small dish of Insectavore Fare (Zookeepers) in their cage, with a piece of fresh fruit and fresh water. Neither one of my gliders like the Glider Cereal or Monkey Biscuts I talked with Pricilla about the Zookeepers and she said that it was alright to use as a "daily snack only"

Since the basic mix contains: Orange Juice, Apple Sauce, and Yogurt I only offer yogurt as a licky treat once in awhile. I do not give them citrus or apples becuse of the OJ and Applesauce being in the mix.

Fresh Fruits are:
Cantelope, Honeydew, watermellon, occasional grape, peaches, papaya

Fresh or frozen veggies are:
peas, carrots, green beans, sugar snap peas, sweet potato, occasional corn

Instead of giving them the suggested mealworm amounts I cut it down to where I give my two 6 mealies each in the early evening as a "pre-playtime snack" daily In the morning before they retire I will give them one grasshopper.

I also give them glideraide as a treat once in awhile

I found that by putting the fruits and veggies separate they will eat more because to them it's more to pick from.

The vitamins should NOT be mixed in with the food. It is a sweet tasting vitamin mix and they really like it.

I hope this helps. Again, I LOVE the Pricillas and my babies do too! If you have any other questions please ask. heart
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/13/07 02:19 AM

Gina, You already know I have never used P's diet but what I can tell you is that from seeing her gliders in person I wouldnt say it is a bad one. ALL of her gliders are very healthy looking and no smell. So from seeing them and having hands on with them, I would say give it a try if the others arent working for you. thumb
Posted By: myangelbear77

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/13/07 02:21 AM

i have switched to P's diet as well. I have 3 gliders that came from her and afte reading up and getting fed up trying to get my gliders (some not from her) that did not eat properly to eat all of what they needed. I like the versatality in the diet and the ease. I can make enough for 12 gliders in a day to last a month. As for the vitamins - it says on the bag when you get them 1/8 teaspoon per glider. It is a very small amount once you see it. If you over supplement them they will smell so be careful! it can be harmful. My gliders are very happy healthy and not a noticible to the nose since switching. Also if you prefer you can use the zookepers staple. the only difference is the zookeepers is moist. Most dont really eat the buiscuits but they do seem to nibble on them. they do eat a small amount of the cereal but not a truly signifigant amount.
Also when I mix the fruit veggies I keep the yogurt seperate...my gliders really like their yogurt so I keep it on the side and they still lick their bowls clean every night.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/13/07 02:35 AM

OK this is going to be really long guys!!

The Priscilla Price diet to me is one of the best diets out there because the glider eat it! I have had problems with other diets and my colony eating the diet and all of a sudden no longer wanting it.

I believe in the vitamins in this diet wholeheartedly. Reason being is the are made for gliders and only gliders. This in turn makes them speciallized to our gliders specific need. They are a balanced 8 calcium to 1 phosphorus vitamin. Since they are added daily there is no loss of quality due to freezing. They also taste very good. I have tasted them myself so I know first hand. This means that since they are naturally sweet due to the bee pollen in the vitamins there is no need to add ingredient to sugar coat the diet mix. Therefore everything in the diet mix is completely for the health of the glider. Since this is the case you will have less overweight gliders they will be plump and healthy but not obese like a lot of gliders I have seen.

I also think of the convenience that this diet has brought to my gliders and my life,LOL. Back when I had 30 gliders it used to take me 1 hour to chop fruits and veggie mixes every night. I would not get to bed before midnight ever. Now it takes my less than 10 mintutes to serve and have everyone fed.

Breeding has drastically gone up. My females are not rejecting at all and stay healthy all year round. My vet says he has never seen such healthy gliders and he is a Zoo vet for some of the major zoos here in central florida. I have my females giving me 6 healthy babies a year with no weight loss or complications on the part of the female. The joeys have also risen in size since being on this diet. On other diets(I have used 2 different ones) my joeys were weighing 6-8 grams oop, now they weigh in at 14-16 grams day 1 oop. These are twins not singles!

Also since there is a variation in taste that is possible to make in these mixtures the gliders are never bored of what they are eating. I make several batches once a month. I make a months worth at a time. I use various fruits and veggies in both the chicken and egg mixtures. I change it up for them all the time so that they are never tasting the same mixture twice. Its the a hassle at all either, it keeps them on their toes and they enjoy feeding time. You can hear a pin drop when my guys are eating their food. Well except for their happy chirps. They will actually eat their mix before their mealworms some nights.

I have had really great results all around with keeping my gliders super healthy and happy with their diet. I would never switch them from this diet ever! I have taken one glider to the vet in almost 3 years, and it had nothing to do with diet. This diet really keep them healthy and I cannot complain.

These are my views as to why I feed this diet. This is my opinion along from what I have learned from Priscilla herself.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/13/07 03:33 AM

OK, so I've got a couple more questions...

1. Is it 1/8 tsp. of vitamins per glider or just overall?

2. Do you use the cereal?

3. I've heard that soy is bad for them, but there is Soybean Meal and Ground Roasted Soybeans in the 1st 5 ingredients listed in the cereal, so is it OK to feed them dunno

Thanks for the help, just trying to weigh my options to see if the girls will stay on P's or be switched to BML with the other 3 wink

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/13/07 04:00 AM

Yes, the vitamins are 1/8 tsp. per glider. So if you have 2 it would be 1/4 tsp. I love the cereal. The gliders absolutely love it and always eat it. The ingredients are fine and I or Priscill ahaven't had a problem with it. I actually am starting working with Priscilla and I know that she hasn't encountered any problems with the soy.
Here is what i do for my gliders:
Every night they get a different cube Ex. chicken, tofu, or egg, and basic on mealworm nights. I then dethaw 1 cube per cage or 2 if i have a bunch of gliders. I then cut up various fruits and veggies and blend everything together in a food chopper. I don't make it runny or smoothy like, but I leave small chunks and pieces that they can pick up and eat.
My guys eat better with the mix mixed in with the fruits and veggies, they won't eat them any other way.
Other than that I love the diet!!!!!

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/13/07 04:22 AM

Thank you everyone for this info! I'm hoping to get a glider from Priscilla & am planning to switch my boy over to that diet before my new one gets here.

I do wonder though why there is both cereal and monkey biscuits in this diet? Any ideas?

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/13/07 04:57 AM

I don`t think anyone here mentioned how much of the mix should be offered per glider per night dunno . Everyone says they offer one cube. What size is the cube and how many gliders does this feed?

Also, the vitamins should be fed 1/8 tsp per glider, but someone here just said they offer 1/8 tsp per plate with more than one glider, so I`m a little confused.

Billy, you said you fed this diet to approx. 30 gliders? About how much did that cost you for the vitamins alone? I have 7 gliders right now and curious how much that would cost. I believe the vitamins cost somewhere around $35 for a one year supply for only one glider. Am I misunderstanding something here? I must be because that would add up to more than $1000 in vitamins alone for a year.

I`m asking these questions too because I`ve always wanted to try this diet and I recently switched to PML and only 2 of my gliders love it and the others act like they`re being forced to eat it and I feel so guilty about it lol!

This is the most info. I`ve seen on this diet. If there`s anymore tips or advice out there about it, keep it coming jump

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/13/07 09:14 PM

Thanks everyone for all this info - this is exactly what I wanted, keep it coming!

I too am still a bit confused about some things

My gliders don't wake up until they hear me come in with their dinner - so do they even need the cereal or biscuits? They aren't up at all during the day to eat them - and I wouldn't want them eating those things over the basic mix, would I? I am also not very fond of many of the cereal ingredients, but I won't go there now.

On the vitamins, I have 2 colonies of 4 gliders each - so I would sprinkle 1/2 tsp of the multivitamin over each colony's food assortment? Is that correct?

And if I made several batches of the mix, say one with chicken, one with egg, etc; would I alternate those batches daily, weekly, or what? Does it even matter how often I rotate them?

Mealies - do I feed them with the meal or separate? If with - do I stir them in? If separate, do I do it earlier so they don't fill up on them?

Yogies & papaya treats - can they still have them? Or will it "throw off" the diet like it could with other diets?

Denise - I'm with you, I loved PML, but I have 8 gliders to feed & if they won't eat it, it doesn't do them any good.
Posted By: princessmegi

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/13/07 09:39 PM

I fed Priscilla's and was thrilled with the results. Cerulean was on it until recently when I switched to PML. The problem I am seeing with PML is that C doesn't touch her veggies or fruit. I understand that those are treat food with OML, but it is such a big change from Priscilla's. Last night I decided to give her Priscilla's and see what she ate. She not only ate the Priscilla's she also ate her fruits and some veggies. And a little yogurt which I added (the diet does not call for this) I am currently thinking about switching between PML and P's either nightly or weekly, but as of yet have not decided.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/13/07 10:20 PM

Monster, my gliders actually get up throught the day occasionally and go and eat the cereal, or buscuit.

You are correct with the vitamins.

With the different batches you would rotate the different kinds(tofu,chicken,egg,and basic.)The basic should be fed on mealworms night. The mealies you can hand feed them or put them in a jar, but not mixed in.
You can absolutely give the treats, mine love them and P does use them as well.

If you haven't checked out my site please do so, I took the way she did it and changed it up a bit to better fit those with only a few gliders.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/13/07 10:27 PM

My understanding with the diet is they still munch on the cereal (at least mine do) and my gang does stay int he pouch all day. They are not big on the buiscuits so I offer about one every couple of days on those.

As for the vitas..that sounds correct (I am terrible with fractions!)

Alternate mixes daily (one day egg next chicken).

Mealies can be fed seperate or witht he meal I kinda do both..hand feed and mix some in their plate.

Treats are ok as long as they are kept as treats..but then thats normal.

Billy did a great job telling some of the noticble benifits of the diet.

As fo how much of the mix it is basically the same about a Full tablespoon per glider.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/13/07 10:27 PM

Also, I take the recipe and make it 4 times, each one has its own ingredient(egg,chicken,etc.)

I always mix in my fruits and veggies with the mix, and not on the side.

Vitamins cost $40 per glider for 1 year.

There is no need to worry about the cereal or monkey buscuits. She formulated this diet including the nutrients from each.

She told me that this diet is all about judgement. You judge how much each glider gets(each glider is diff.). Also if the mix is too runny add more oats, if it is to thick add more applesauce or oj. So use your best judgment!

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/13/07 10:46 PM

Ok Tyler, I went to your site & I get it now, about the alternating - thanks!

When you really think about what is provided in the vitamins, they're not that expensive. I currently buy acacia gum, nectar, and bee pollen separately, and they're not cheap supplements. I've spent $30+ just on bee pollen before. A large jar of glideraide runs about $20 - $30, and I believe the last acacia gum I bought was about $20. I was really impressed to see that Pricilla had incorporated all of these ingredients as well as several probiotics and herbs.

I think I'm going to try it out, though I would omit the tofu, biscuits and cereal.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/13/07 10:52 PM

I guess I missed where tofu is in priscilla's diet? Did she change it recently?

Reading on her site it really doesn't seem like the lack of biscuits and cereal would be a big deal. I may be wrong but those looked more like "midnight snacks" and I'm my boy prefers if I put out a frozen piece of honeydew mellon in some water for him to snack on during the day. Anything else and he won't touch it.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/13/07 10:56 PM

Thanks Monster for starting this Thread. It's been very helpful!!

Deka came to me on the SunCoast Diet so that's just what I've been feeding, but I still feel unsure he's getting all the nutrients he really needs.

I think I'm going to order some of the vitamins and use what's left of his Zookeepers for now before deciding on the cereal.
Deka does eat quite of bit of his staple food every day, so we'll see if that contiunes with this new diet.

How long to you let the frozen cubes defrost? Is it something I should take out of the freezer in the Morning? Or will they defrost fairly quickly in just a few hrs before dinner?? Should the mix be defrosted completely, or do the like it a little frozen?
Is the texture similar to BML?

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/13/07 11:08 PM

I get the feeling it's much "lumpier" than BML. And I believe Tyler said that you let it thaw so you can stir in your fruit/veggie selection for the night. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/13/07 11:57 PM

Priscilla has just recently started using Tofu, My guys absolutley love it!!!!!!
I put the cubes in the microwave and thaw them out or if in a hurry cook for like 45 sec.
I have never used/seen BML so i cant help you there on the consistency. They actually don't care if it isn't thawed all the way.

Monster,cereal and buscuits are just an option. I actually on use them when I can get them. The monkey buscuits are cool because they just carry them around and slowly eat them. Some nights my guys will eat the cereal but only sometimes. Vary rarely do they finish it all.
Posted By: BCChins

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 12:11 AM

I like the sounds of this diet and was very shy to use it as it seemed more complex then it really is. One question I have is if my glider does not like eggs can I just use chicken nightly? Of course I would try the egg but to date he will not eat eggs no way no how!

Thank you
This is a very good thread and looks to be a good diet.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 12:14 AM

BCChins, if you try the eggs I think he will eat them. After i scamble the eggs I put them in the chopper and chop them up real fine. My gliders eat anything as long as they are mixed with the mixture. If he doesn't like that you still have the basic, chicken, and tofu.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 12:33 AM

Tyler Thank you for replying so fast! I certainly will try the egg and was thinking if it tastes as good as you are all making it sound then he just might like them. I was just reading the ing. on Priscilla's web page and it states on the vitamins that it helps boost the immune system and helps in any healing they may need due to illness and rehabilitating gliders. Has anyone noticed this in their gliders?

Thank you again

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By: BCChins
Tyler Thank you for replying so fast! I certainly will try the egg and was thinking if it tastes as good as you are all making it sound then he just might like them. I was just reading the ing. on Priscilla's web page and it states on the vitamins that it helps boost the immune system and helps in any healing they may need due to illness and rehabilitating gliders. Has anyone noticed this in their gliders?

Thank you again

It seems to me her supplement is alot like Dawnna' life-line. Very similar ingridents which is why I'm wanting to try it. I'd love to make Dawnna's diet, but finding all that stuff has been quite dificult for me.
This seems much simpler.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 01:10 AM

I buy a large amount of the vitamins at one time becuase I retail them through Pricsilla. I only use 1/8 per pair. I think that 1/2 t would be way to much vitamin on two tablespoons per pair, which is the amount that whould be given.

I break of a piece of the mix thaw it in the microwave and than serve two heaping tablespoons per pair of gliders. I also serve their monkey biscuits with their food. They almost always eat them all. I use the Zupreem brand not the Mazuri. I use to use the cereal but they would hardly ever eat it. Its just for a boost of protein for breeding gliders.

I only use the Chicken and Egg mixtures at this time. Priscilla has used Tofu for years but I prefer not to feed it. My gliders get so much variety from the added fruits and veggies they eat it all no matter which mix it is.

I also make the fruits and veggies in the food proccesor per batch. I make it a smoothie and then add it to the mix. Reason I do this is to reduce gliders picking and choosing and less mess on the walls this way.

I reccomeng using the freeser bag flat pack method rather than using ice cube trays. You can actually measure the appropriate amount of food and if you know one pair eats more you serve them a little extra. Where as the cubes you are limited to the amount in the cubes. Also if you do not smoothie the fruits and veggies you at times get more fruits and veggies in the cube and this diplaces the rest of the mix.

I hope I covered most of it. Let me know if I missed anything.
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 01:38 AM

Ok, I have tried BML (Timmy ate it about the first month, and then the next five months, barely touched it). Switched to PML, which the first few nights, was a major hit, as they cleaned both bowls. But after that, back to not touching the 'mix', just eating the corn and peas and maybe a little of the melon. They get mealies every day (which I found out I was giving too many, but they have always got the same amounts so don't think that has anything to do with the stopping eating the mix, either.) After throwing away the PML every morning, it came time to make another batch. I decided to try the BML again, just in case they get 'bored'. Nope, would not touch it (Gidget never has).

So maybe I should try this? I am confused. Can someone pm me with the link to the diet, so I can see how it 'works'?

Thanks!

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 01:48 AM

http://www.thepetglider.com/index/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=27

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 02:08 AM

Ok, a couple of questions (and hope they have not been asked already). On the chicken, does it have to be broiled? Also, where do you the the 'cereal' and monkey biscuits? And also, the glider vitamins? And about the mealies, it says 20 mealies per glider, is that for a day or divided over the three days?

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 02:12 AM

Ok found the cereal and monkey biscuits on the site. I have Zookeepers secret, could I use that as the 'staple' in the cage instead of the cereal? My two don't like pellets, and the zookeepers is softer.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 02:13 AM

This is definately the best thread I have seen on this subject....thank you everyone

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 02:28 AM

I would only use the monkey biscuits if you can find the Zupreem those are better. I sell both the vitamins and the biscuits. Let me know if you are interested. I can get come out to you by next weekend. ZKS is ok but only occasionally. I don;t like it because it has a short shelf life. Then my gliders wont eat the stuff.

As for the chicken, I boil mine. We don;t have a broiler on our oven since its the kind that are built into the wall. I have always boiled mine and I dont think it makes a huge difference.

I believe in a harder pellet since it act as a tooth brush so to speak. Glider break into bark to get at the sap. If all we give our gliders are soft baby food consistency diets all we are asking for are tooth problems. The hardness of the biscuits helps the gliders clean their teeth while they eat.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 02:45 AM

Pricilla sells everything you need on the same site I sent you to - she sell kits that have everything, or the ingredients separately.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 04:32 AM

i use suncoast diet right now but have noticed that my gliders havent been eating their fruits too much lately and i have always had the concern that they are not getting enough vitamins and calcium... my gliders like zookeepers since its soft and i have tried the monkey biscuits and mine wont touch that....
i have been debating with myself lately to try another diet and after reading this thread and everyones coments i think i will be ordering the vitamins and trying this diet out.... seems like everyone has had a good experience with it and i like the fact thats its pretty flexable...
just wanted you to know i loved this thread i have learned alot today..... thanks guys keep the info coming would love to hear more about this diet

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 04:42 AM

I am glad that this diet thread has stayed so consistent and has been able to help so many people with their diet issues.

Keep the questions coming!!!

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 04:47 AM

Also the mealies are 20 per glider on the specified days. Or like me I give my guys 10 each everyday of the giant mealworms.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 02:13 PM

Have to say ours continue to lick their plates and eat their veggies consistently.....although the cereal is not devoured with the same enthusiasm, it is nibbled daily....also, the monkey biscuit disappears over the course of a couple days but is in a different location every morning (I think they just carry it around for fun.....lol) We are making a new batch today and I can't wait to try the ideas.....I thought I woukld make a batch of basic, split it up for the protein base and then add different combos of the blended fruits and veggies like suggested here..just one question, since PP says 3/4 cups of fruits/veggies to each portion.....is it 1 1/2 cups fruits and veggies TOTAL for the batch...in other words canwe blend 1 1/2 cups and then divide it to the various batches....I hope that makes sense......

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 02:18 PM

Ok, you have sold me! (I was giving mine that many, 10, every day now! I think this diet is more 'up their alley'.) I will contact you off list, Billy. Thank you!

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 02:54 PM

This is a great thread!! I have read the RAVES...Are there any downsides? anyone have the babies stop eating it like you read regarding other diets? How long have you been using it? etc??

thanks for starting this.....I feed Peggy's HPW and my babies LOVE it....but it's great to learn of others.
Posted By: 1daddyglider1

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 03:04 PM

billy pm me if interested in some info on your giant mealies you may be interested in. i feed the small mealies on occasion.
i can put you in touch with the people that can prove what i tell you about them.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 03:07 PM

I have been on this diet going on two years now. They have never ever stopped eating it. I have seen no negative effects as of yet.

As the the fruits. There is 1 1/2 cups added to each portion. So I smoothie 3/4 of veggies and 3/4 of fruits for each portion then add it in. You are essentially using 3 cups of fruits and veggies per batch.

Try and see if there is a farmers market or discount bulk produce store around your area. We have several and the one by my house is the best. I get a whole cart full for around 30 dollars and that goes a long way.

I get the following fruits and veggies every time but mix it differently for each batch:

Sweet Potatoes, Bok Choy, Bell peppers red and green and orange, green beans, snow peas, carrots, squash, yams.

Apples, asian pears, papaya, strawberries, watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe, mangos, hatian mangos, pineapple, grapes, bannanas, and one batch for the month with avacado. I use it only as a special dinner night.

Also make sure your mealworms are the giant sized mealworms, if you have small mealies you must add more to compensate for size.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 03:15 PM

Don't worry about how much fruits and veggies in each. I add fresh ones each night and don't freeze them in. If it is easier to freeze in then, make various batches rotating the different foods. Don't worry about the amount. Put how much you gliders eat. Like I said earlier it's all in judment and the good part about this diet is that you can bend it many different ways to fit your needs.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 03:16 PM

The only concern I do have with P's diet is that you have to *sprinkle* the vitamins on the food. That has always worried me in different diets. Including the Suncoast. How do you know how much to sprinkle and what if you are sprinkling too much? What if it isnt enough?

I also am very happy with the way this thread has been going. Thank you all for not turning it into a bashing segment, but instead letting it be a learning device as all the threads should be when we are discussing diets.

One more thing I would like to add, just because someone is posting about diets, please dont decide to just start switching diet plans. Making too many diet switches can be just as bad for your suggie as having them on one they wont eat! But I always encourage others to read and learn so you can help to educate later. thumb

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 03:26 PM

thanks to everyone.....and I agree with Peggy...I would have no reason to stop feeding HPW...just because...My gliders look beautiful and have sooo much more energy.....This is a great thread .....keep it coming...I wish we could do this with all the diets!

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 03:28 PM

I agree with you Peggy. If your glider are eating their present diet perfectly fine, why switch. That means that your gliders are happy.If you start to notice less interest in the food then there is a problem and a switch might be a good thing.

Now Peggy I use 1/8 teaspoon which I sprinkle on to each plate every night per pair. Thats how much I have always used and it has been enough since my gliders areat good weights and do not lose but gain while carrying joeys so there is no ill effects concerning calcium deficits. I have used the same amount for about 2 years and no problems.

I suggest following the diet as is. P has made it easier for us to follow by adding the fruits and veggies to each portion. I highly believe in following those instruction as closely as possible. It is true there is no amount to feed per pair because each pair is different, but they have never been able to finish two heaping table spoons along with mealies everyday and biscuits. They only leave a bit behind and that gives me peace of mind since I know they got their fill.

I used all these techniques when I had 30 gliders I used a whole flat pack per day so I was able to be very flexible as to the variety that they got in their mixes. Now that I have 7 gliders and more plans for a bit larger breeding program concentrated on temperament and color, I will probably be back up to 30 and will continue to use these techniques along with P's help and tips. I pretty much always consult her on any questions I have on this diet. She is the creator along with her highly experienced vet. If any doubts consult her directly I am sure she would not mind at all.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 05:15 PM

Ok, Couple questions. This is from Priscilla's site:

>>Add 3/4 cup various chopped or precut fruits and vegetables to each portion.

So is that 3/4 cups of fruits AND 3/4 cups of veggies or 3/4 cups of both?

Also, what are your gliders prefered method of getting their fruit/veggies? mixed in or seperate?

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 05:18 PM

Its 3/4 cups of each so 1 1/2 cups all together. My gliders prefer them mixed in. Always have, as do all of my joeys that are still on this diet.

I smoothie it so that they are less picky and that way they get all of their nutrients.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 05:20 PM

Thanks for the clarification on the fr/veg amounts...my two little girls love it so much that it is used as licky treat (all over my fingers right now)....Blanche and Stella (OOP DEc 1) turn their noses up at all treats except mealies....now they lick first and mealie later....lol

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 05:21 PM

Ok, another question. If you smoothie the ingrediants, can you give a couple of pieces of fruit/veggies (say one or two) as well? The reason I ask is my two like to hold and eat their food, so I thought maybe they could have the best of both worlds if I could still give them a piece of fruit or a piece of corn as a treat.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 05:22 PM

Also, at the beginning of this thread, there was talk about a 'tofu' version. Does anyone feed that? How do you mix that?

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 05:29 PM

Agility Gliders- you said you use 1/8tsp per pair. I thought (as the directions said) that it is 1/8 tsp. per glider.

Pappy- Yes i use the tofu. I can't believe how much they love it!!!! At the store you can buy different textures of tofu. I buy the hardest one so that when I chop it up in my chopper it doesn't turn to mush. It actually has the consistency of chopped chicken, just alittle softer. The packages normally have 4 rows of Tofu, I think i used three rows. Just use however much it takes to make it a somehwat thick consistency and not too runny. But I make 1 recipe per mixture(all the ingredients for chicken, then another one with everything for eggs... and soo on.) It last longer if for only one recipe you add only one kind of thing(chicken,egg,tofu,and then a plain basic) especially if you have a lot of gliders it saves time by not having to make it as often.Give it a try you will probably have good results.
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 05:43 PM

Someone had asked the question or stressed a concern about the vitamins being sprinkled on top. I tasted the vitamins and if I didn't know they were for sugar gliders I would probably take them myself laugh They are very tasty! Like you, I was leary about that also, but my two think they are a treat and they do lick the vits off to get to the food. I measure out 1/8 tsp and will lightly sprinkle it over the meal evenly.

I have been feeding this diet for almost a year now and there has never been a problem with them eating it. I do change it around (the way I serve it) occasionaly, just to keep their interest. It's cute, I have a microwave muffin dish that has 6 muffin holes, I will put their water, veggies, fruit, into each separate hole, and put 1/2 of the mixture in the other two(one frozen basic mix in a ice cube tray = 2 tbsp)
after it's defrosted I will mix in the egg or the chicken
At meal time they both will walk around the tray and check out "whats for dinner" then they each will stop off at the hole and nibble switch places until they both have gone all the way around the tray. By morning the only thing thats left are the little moonies tounge

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 06:25 PM

I don't see much difference in sprinkling a specified amount on the food or mixing a specific amount into the food. The gliders who eat the most will get the most supplement and vice versa.

It seems to me that vitamins that haven't been frozen in a food mix might be better.

Priscilla makes it easy - she mixes the supplement ingredients for you.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 06:36 PM

I agree on the vitamins not being frozen. Freezing/heating/exposure to sunlight are all things that destroy vitamin potency.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 07:16 PM

Thank you, Tyler. I only have two (well, it will be three in March), so splitting the mix to add the chicken/eggs/tofu would work fine, I would think. I really think this diet will be the one that my guys will get in to! And as I said, it does not do them any good if they leave it in the dish and only eat the veggies/fruits/mealies, right?

Going to get all this stuff and see how they like it. Sure hope my two will work with me!!!

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 07:21 PM

Pappy,I don`t see why you couldn`t just smootie half the fruits/veggies and even leave the other half of them whole. in chunks so they can still have something to hold in their hands, as long as they`re still getting the amount called for.

As far as the tofu goes, personally, I wouldn`t want to make the mixture with this. I was using tofu when I first got my gliders but I stopped feeding it when I read something here on GC about tofu being bad for them. I can`t remember what it was about tofu but when I hear it once, I keep that in the back of my mind. I just wish I could remember why the tofu wasn`t much good for them. Of course I may be wrong about this but like I said, I read it from someone here so I just like to listen if something is not good or harmful to my babies.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 07:23 PM

Oh ya, if I`m wrong about the tofu, someone please correct me. But if I`m right, someone please back me up here lol smile I`d like to know why it isn`t good for them.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 08:04 PM

I found this link on GC's diets page link. About 1/2 way down is a segment on Tofu. It says it is a controversal subject when it comes to feeding it to gliders and provides 2 links. I can only read the first one but not the second. The first one talks about it in people and I can attest that it does cause some bad digestive problems in people as I can't have much of it at all. But then again, this has nothing specific on gliders in it.

http://www.angelfire.com/nb/sugarglider/dietc.html
Posted By: Gossamer

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 08:19 PM

I have Grissom on the suncoast diet. I didn't like the sprinkling of vitamins either. What suncoast suggested in their newsletter was to mix 1 teaspoon vitamins, 2 teaspon calcium in 32oz. of apple juice and freeze in ice cube trays. Grissom absolutely loves this and his bowl is empty every time. I don't know if freezing destroys potency or not - I'm more concerned with the calcium as he gets lots of vitamins between the zookeepers and fruits/veggies.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 08:52 PM

I guess I just don't understand, but what is the issue with sprinkling the vitamins on? I just don't understand it. dunno Since Priscilla's vitamins are made especially for gliders & her diet I would prefer to keep them at their proper protency level so that my glider doesn't become deficient in anything.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 09:34 PM

Pappy- I think i said earlier that when I make mine I find best that if you want them to eat it all I put everything in a food chopper and chop it up. It makes the mix runny and flavors all the food. I leave little chunk in there so it isn't smoothy and they can still hold on to stuff. I find this makes them not become picky.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 09:37 PM

Is the apple juice water down 50/50

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 09:40 PM

Yes, that would work. At least that's what I do.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 09:54 PM

I purchased my gliders from Priscilla and as far as the vitamins, you are supposed to put 1/8 tsp per glider. It only says that if you purchase the vitamins from her.

~Ive~

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 10:11 PM

Quote:
I guess I just don't understand, but what is the issue with sprinkling the vitamins on? I just don't understand it.

The problem with sprinkling vitamins is most people do not follow directions nor know the exact amount they are supposed to use. Therefore you are taking the chance of either giving too much or not enough, both can be harmful for your glider.

Quote:
I purchased my gliders from Priscilla and as far as the vitamins, you are supposed to put 1/8 tsp per glider. It only says that if you purchase the vitamins from her.

Unlike most, it seems like P tells you how much to give, which is good. I have to say I really do have a LOT of respect for P. I have nothing but good things to say about her and her set up at home.

I just want people to understand if you are choosing a diet that calls for you to sprinkle vitamins to make sure you do so with the CORRECT amount, not too much, not too little, so your glider remains as healthy as possible.

Hope that clears up the question about the concern I have with it. thumb
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 10:51 PM

It all sounds so interesting and I have seen Linda's gliders, Sam and Choco and they are absolutely GORGOUS! (spoiled too)

I run into one slight problem...currently I have 35 gliders to feed. At $40 per year per glider, that is $117 per month just for the vitamins!

Produce is very expensive here as well and hard to get a decent variety in the winter time.

I guess for now I best stick with what I'm doing...

Oh I do sometimes envy all you with only 2-4 gliders!

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 10:53 PM

Definately does Peg! I had the same concern when I first started looking into P's diet. But when I realized that there was a set amount to be sprinkled, my mind was at ease. thumb

Here is the info you wanted about Tofu (soy products) - you'll have to scroll down - http://www.sugarglider.net/ubbthreads/ub...age=1#Post69759

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/14/07 10:59 PM

There is a big diff between the Suncoast Vits and the Pet Glider vits.They are not eating it off the fruits and veggies because the vitamins are super bitter so you have to hide the taste somehow. I suggest you keep them on their present diet since you can actually mix your vitamins in with you proteins.

When you feed their mealies, crickets, yogurt, chicken just sprinkle the vits on there. That should hide the taste pretty well.

This is a wonderful diet that I have been super please with for a really long time. But unless your gliders are just not wanting to eat their present diets anymore do not switch them just because most of us on this thread are using it. My gliders would not eat the other diets that I tried with them so I had to switch.

Just keep that in mind guys.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/16/07 08:03 PM

I was wondering if you can buy a large can of the frozen OJ and thaw it ~ measure out portions and refreeze it for using the next time. I would just cut it with a knife frozen but I would think it needs to be shaken to distribute the ing evenly. I am also going to lok for the small containers at the store but have yet to find them. So it would end up being refrozen 2 times as when you make this diet you freeze it in portions.

Thank You

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/16/07 10:23 PM

You can just divide the oj evenly while frozen. It doesn't need to be shaken in concentrated form.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/17/07 12:31 AM

ok, I just recently switched from P's to BML bc I was hoping my gliders' coats would improve (they had been looking "piecy")

I have to say, I personally liked P's diet better, although it was a little confusing to me. I read about three different versions of her diet, all written by her.

Maybe I had been mixing the diet proportions up wrong the whole time.

Reading this thread has made my mind spin and given me a headache, LOL! I guess I'll read the thread a few more times to see if I can straighten things out. I would like to switch back to P's soon.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/17/07 12:57 AM

Let me know if you need help over the phone and I will clear any confusion that you have on this.

Why would you want to improve coat quality? I have never heard that before with gliders?

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/17/07 04:43 AM

I figured the quality of the coat reflected the quality of the diet (whether or not they were receiving the proper amounts of vitamins/nutrition). Isn't that how it is with other animals, like dogs?

My confusions with her recipe:

When I got my gliders from her a few years ago, the diet read that you were suppose to divide the batch into 3 portions adding 3 eggs to one, 3/4 lb chicken to the next, and leave the third plain for mealies and yogurt. Then I read the recipe now, and it says to divide it into 2 portions adding 3 eggs to one and 3/4 lb chicken to the other. Mine have never really liked the chicken batch...maybe because it used to be divided into 3 portions instead of the two now...that was a lot of chicken for such a small portion. I never divided into portions....I made one batch all eggs (with the original recipe..3 portions..that would be a total of 9 eggs), one all chicken (2 1/4 lbs chicken...3/4 lb X 3), and one plain.

Quote:
Presentation:

25 oz unsweetened applesauce

4 oz Dannon non-fat plain yogurt

3 oz concentrated calcium fortified orange juice, no water added

3/4 c Old Fashioned Oats (NO QUICK COOKING OATS)

1 T fresh ground flax seed or wheat germ, refrigerated

In a large mixing bowl, with a wooden spoon, mix the applesauce, oats, yogurt, wheat germ and orange juice. Divide into two equal portions. To portion one, add: 3 small or medium eggs, scrambled. To portion two, add: 3/4 lb unseasoned, unsalted, broiled shredded chicken.

Add 3/4 cup various chopped or precut fruits and vegetables to each portion. Freeze flat in quart size freezer bags (1/2" or less thick). If you choose to use pre-cut frozen produce, do not use vegetables which have a high ratio of corn.

Feeding schedule should be:

Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday: Basic Mix

Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday: Basic Mix Plus Mealworms (about 20 per glider

Are the chicken and egg batches considered the basic mix since her recipe doesn't call for a "plain" batch anymore?

I do like the idea that was brought up about blending the fruits and veggies bc there was never an equal amount in each cube.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/17/07 05:04 AM

Here is an e-mail correspondence I had with her about how much fruits and veggies were suppose to go in the mixture.
Quote:

Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2005 10:58 PM
To: thepetglider@thepetglider.com
Subject: Diet

Priscilla,

I've been looking on Glider Central at your diet, and people have confused me. This is how I've been making it. Please correct me if it's wrong.

25 oz Unsweetened Applesauce
3/4 c Old Fashioned Oats
4 oz Dannon Non-Fat Plain Yogurt
1T Wheat Germ, refrigerated
3 oz Concentrated Calcium Fortified Orange Juice, no water added

(This is the part I'm confused with: Do you add 3/4c fruits and 3/4c veggies to the whole mixture or to each portion. I've been adding it to the whole mixture before I portion it out.
I already have 4 batches made and frozen in my freezer. Do I need to add extra fruits and veggies each night?)

In a large mixing bowl, with a wooden spoon, mix the applesauce, oats, yogurt, wheat germ, and orange juice. Divide this mix into 3 equal portions.

To portion 1, add: 3 small or medium eggs, scrambled

To portion 2, add: 3/4 lb unseasoned, unsalted, broiled shredded chicken (I BAKE mine because I don't know how you broil it)

To portion 3: Leave plain for mealies

Quote:
Hi Jasmine,

You are correct, you add it to the whole mixture. I’m sending you copies of our care and diet sheets for some different variations.

We make such large amounts of food that I really have to stop and think about the smaller recipes.

Priscilla

Edit to add: I can also e-mail you two different diet care sheets she e-mailed to me.

Like I said, I will be using her diet again very soon, but before I do...I need to make sure I have everything straight. smile

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/17/07 07:39 AM

Would you be so kind as to forward the copies for care and diet tha P sent you...if not, we'll pm ourselves...thanks
Posted By: jacknsally

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/17/07 03:30 PM

I've used Pricilla's diet from day 1 & heart it- as do all my babies

Here's another thread that was started -

http://www.sugarglider.net/ubbthreads/ub...;gonew=1#UNREAD

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/17/07 03:41 PM

JazzyJ, can you send those to me? I am going to switch to this diet, as the BML and PML (over the last 6 months have both bombed here). You can email me at pappy1264@yahoo.com Thank you so very much!

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/17/07 04:16 PM

e-mail sent Mary and Kris

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/18/07 01:57 AM

JazzyJ could you forward those on to us as well please

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/18/07 02:07 AM

Elizabeth, I sent you a pm...i need your e-mail to send it to you. Click on the flashing red envelope by "my stuff"

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/18/07 02:23 AM

JazzyJ Would you be so kind as to forward the copies for care and diet that Pricilla sent you to me as well..... my email address is nutplate333@aol.com

thanks a bunch...

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/18/07 03:14 AM

I'd love to look over thoese copies too, would me mind emailing them to me also? laugh
misty@mischievouschins.com

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/18/07 03:23 AM

Me too!! kara_malia@yahoo.com. Thanks!

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/18/07 04:21 AM

I have a question about the oatmeal in the diet. It is not cooked, right? I thought uncooked oatmeal was a hazard for gliders having an intestinal blockage. Maybe when they are mixed into the smoothie they absorb enough moisture to make it like cooking it, but that was just a concern I had.

I know you should never give more than one or two flakes a day of dry uncooked oatmeal because it can swell up in the intestine and cause a blockage. So anyone have any insight on this relative to P's diet?

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/18/07 04:47 AM

E-mails forwarded smile

Quote:
I know you should never give more than one or two flakes a day of dry uncooked oatmeal because it can swell up in the intestine and cause a blockage.

I believe the oatmeal swells when it is mixed into the recipe (comes in contact with liquid/moisture). Therefore, that should not be an issue when eaten because the oatmeal should not be able to swell anymore.

Edit to add: Can't they get loose bowels if they eat too much apple/applesauce/applejuice? The diet contains a lot of applesauce which may balance out the issue with intestinal blockages. dunno My gliders never had problems with constipation while they were on this diet.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/18/07 05:39 AM

I made a batch the other day and the oatmeal most definately did absorb the liquid of the applesauce. In addition, my boy is eating this stuff up like crazy. Usually in the morning when I left for work on the other diets I tried I had to take the old out and put some more in (I leave at 5 am)so he would have fresh for the rest of the time he was up because he wouldn't touch 1/2 of it until about his bed time and even then he was eating less than I would have liked (and yes, I do keep in mind his stomach size). If I didn't replace the stuff w/ fresh he just wouldn't finish it. However, with this stuff his plate is clean before I leave to work - except of course for the little moons, so I am going to up his amount a little more until I have a tad left over in the morning. Tonight he came flying to the front of his cage when he saw me with the food dish and dug right in which is also something he has never done before - not even for mealies or crickets. thumb

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/18/07 05:51 AM

JazzyJ, I'd appreciate a copy too, please wink email is BeckiT4GC@aol.com

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/18/07 06:28 AM

JazzyJ thanks for the copies... really appreciate it... time to do some reading.....

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/18/07 01:39 PM

As the the fruits. There is 1 1/2 cups added to each portion. So I smoothie 3/4 of veggies and 3/4 of fruits for each portion then add it in. You are essentially using 3 cups of fruits and veggies per batch.

Earlier in his thread Billy gave s this info which is different than what was just said so now we are totally confused.......also on PP's page it says to add 3/4 cup of f/v to each portion......HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/18/07 01:40 PM

Oh and Jasmine.....thanks for the sheets

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/18/07 02:01 PM

Sorry about the confusion but here is what P herself has told me. I have seen the new diets and for the amount that I make its the amount written below. Which is the recipe that is on the site.

You are adding 3/4 cup of fruits and 3/4 cup of veggies per portion equaing 1 1/2 cups. Since you are making two portions per batch you have 3 cups all together.

Now I at the beggining thought it was only 3/4 cup of both but I clarified it with P and it 3/4 cup of both per portion.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/18/07 03:30 PM

E-mail forwarded Becki. smile You're all welcome!

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/18/07 03:44 PM

Like I said up above somewhere....she has changed how things are portioned out. It use to be divided into 3 portions (chicken, eggs, plain) instead of two (chicken, eggs). What happened with the plain portion that was suppose to be fed with mealies and yogurt? Are the chicken and egg portions considered the "basic mix"?

Quote:
Break off a frozen piece of the basic mix.

Feeding schedule should be:

Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday: Basic Mix

Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday: Basic Mix Plus Mealworms (about 20 per glider)

If they are the basic mix, then they are getting chicken or eggs PLUS 20 mealworms.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/18/07 04:08 PM

Yea the chicken and egg mixes are now considered the basic mixes. The yogurt is already in the mix. Yes its 20 mealies per glider on those days specified or 10 per glider everyday.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/18/07 05:25 PM

Agilitygliders - I don't know if P changed it or something since you last e-mailed her about it, but when I asked her 2 days ago she said it was not 3/4 C of fruits AND 3/4 C of veggies but rather 3/4 of a cup for BOTH if you follow the diet laid out on her website. However she said she prefers her new sheets and she sent me 2 different care & diet sheets.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/18/07 05:29 PM

Well maybe she has. I have been using the diet going on almost 2 years. But I talk to her almost every week and she has not mentioned anything to me about it.

Plus its best that I stay at that amount anyways since I am making the fruits and veggies into a smoothie. It pretty much equals to the amount 3/4 once you smoothie it.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/18/07 10:11 PM

Just got an email back from P and she said that my amount of fruits and veggies is just fine. I did get the revisions and I am checking them out with her so that I understand them completely, before I make any fine tuning.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/18/07 11:20 PM

thumb Let us know how you decide to tweek yours!

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/19/07 12:09 AM

Originally Posted By: agilitygliders
Why is that confusing?

You are adding 3/4 cup of fruits and 3/4 cup of veggies per portion equaing 1 1/2 cups. Since you are making two portions per batch you have 3 cups all together.

Now I at the beggining thought it was only 3/4 cup of both but I clarified it with P and it 3/4 cup of both per portion.

because the information Priscilla sent to Jasmine says differently.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/19/07 12:35 AM

Originally Posted By: 37creekview
because the information Priscilla sent to Jasmine says differently.

That's why I'm confused about the recipe. The diet sheets P sent me (and I sent to everyone who asked) kinda add to the confusion, for me anyway.

I think I may e-mail her to see if I can clear things up for myself.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/19/07 02:15 AM

I'm glad we aren't the only ones

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/19/07 03:01 AM

Still waiting for her email but if you look at the second diet sheet, the one that says final it about the same as the one on the site, just in larger quantities which to me are about the same since its in the same amounts that I use.

Now when you look at the first one now that one is very confusing. Same basic mix but a lot of extra stuff. I think to keep all confusion down a tad the one that she is showing off the most should be used. Its basic and easiest to understand. Check the one on the website and go by that for now. There is hardly any difference between the two diets. The final one or the website on. Just different measurements.

Hope this helps.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/19/07 05:40 AM

Hey! I e-mailed P, and she sent me updated diet sheets as of Jan 1st of this year. (Cosmo also sent them to me before P did) The other ones I sent everybody were from Nov 2005. I have forwarded it to everybody I originally forwarded it to. If you didn't get it, let me know!

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/19/07 01:41 PM

Jazzy can I have these sheets also? PLease with sugie on top!! Edcar88@aol.com

Thank You

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/19/07 02:35 PM

can you e-mail them to me as well. I have problems with my suggies eating their fruits and would like to look into this more laura@suggieshop.com

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/19/07 03:00 PM

I am confused also. It seems like everyone does it a little differently.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/19/07 03:02 PM

wow that is a lot of mealworms for a glider. Being they are so high in fat wouldn't that be a bad thing?

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/19/07 03:23 PM

The mealworms are for protien. Being that the mix itself is not high in fat at all compared to the other diets its completely safe and they will not become overweight from eating all the mealies. Also since the diet does not cause the gliders to become obese the gliders have a lot more energy are are more apt at actually excercising their little furrbutts! LOL. They always run on thier Stealths and keep healthy.

It a very good thing. Gliders love their mealies and now P has on the diet to give 10 mealies per glider per day which is what she told me to do about a year ago. So that will stay the same on my diet plan.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/19/07 04:03 PM

I will send it to both of you when I get off work. For some reason my work computer won't let me send it with those attachments. If you need it now, someone who I've already sent it to may be able to forward it on.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/20/07 02:20 AM

Is it just me or so we all sneak on here while we are at work, LOL.

This post is really getting good. I will post some pic tommorow of what my mix looks like when getting fed to my gliders. It will give you an idea of the consistency and what not.

Will that help any of you???

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/20/07 02:37 AM

Does anyone know what the Ca:P ratio is for this diet? I thought I saw on this forum in the last month or so that it was high Ca to P - close to 5:1 before the addition of the mealies. However, I'm not 100% sure that is what I had read and now I can't find the post that had it...

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/20/07 02:12 PM

Billy you know we like pictures!!

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/20/07 05:25 PM

I will get pictures this afternoon.

Also the vitamins ratio is 8-1. 8calcium to 1 phosphorus.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/20/07 08:33 PM

I thought the Ca:P ratio was suppose to be kept at 2:1 no matter what diet. If it's not the right ratio then the nutrients can't be absorbed properly..... Somebody explain it to me, bc I'm really not sure on this area, that's just what I'm remembering

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/20/07 09:43 PM

First, diets and nutrition are not an exact science though it seems some glider owners on this board try to make it out to be. Humans, cats, dogs, horses, etc all have been studied much longer than sugar gliders have, but no one knows the exact amounts of each nutrient each type of animal needs at all times. Wouldn't life be SO much easier for us pet owners if we did? Plus the amounts change. Usually a pregnant, growing, old, or sick animal needs different levels of nutrients than a non-pregnant healthy animal in its prime. So typically when a amount or ratio is given, such as 2:1 - this is a rough estimate, a guideline. You don't want to inver the amount and give double the phos than the Ca and you don't want to completely take the P out of the diet either. So the diet should be kept around 2:1 on average. Variances day to day are not going to be a big issue, also w/ an animal who needs more Ca, a bit extra won't be as bit of an issue as not enough of it, just as long as you don't overdose it.

Besides, Billy was saying the vitamin ratio was 8:1, but look at the other foods fed - especially the protein sources. They are inverted with a higher phos level so the vitamins & added calcium in the diet - via OJ & yogurt are needed to offset these values. Meal worms themselves are 1:25 I believe with P being much higher than Ca. Thus the added calcium to offset.

Plus, unless you analyze that specific peice of fruit or that specific insect, there is no way to know for certain exactly what ratios your glider is getting. The ratios and nutrients that are given on charts and such are just averages of the food. At any given point there will be variance and sometimes those variances can be huge. The living environment of the food can have a HUGE determining factor on its final nutrient levels. So does its storage & handling. Even my horse's hay - even though it comes from the same exact field every year has different values when I get it analyzed from year to year due to difference in weather and fertalizer used. Freeze your food? Cook any foods? Have any foods that come in contact with Sunlight? These all effect the nutrient levels as well. We are just fooling ourselves if we believe we are getting our gliders diet at a 2:1 ratio everyday, no matter what proven diet we are feeding. The best thing we can do is give a varied diet that is at least close, which is what any of the proven diets are.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/20/07 09:46 PM

Thank you Cosmo for explaining what I di not know how to say.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/20/07 09:59 PM

Hi JazzyJ, could I also please have a copy of the new diet sheet? It seems I have the old one as well. My email is: valgal84@gmail.com

Thanks so much! grin

I can't wait for pics Billy! grin

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/20/07 10:56 PM

Me too me too, purdy please! mysugarmonstersinc@yahoo.com

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/20/07 10:58 PM

Thanks for explaining that!

e-mail forwarded smile

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/21/07 02:34 PM

I hope I answered the Ca:P ratio the way you wanted it to be?? Not sure.

Every glider needs a varied diet and if we stick to the same foods that are 2:1 you are extremely limited and like cosmo said you would have to be a complete scientist and test every piece of food before serving it. This impractical and for the same reasons mentioned above we have to try to offer the most varied diet possible to make sure our gliders get the kind of nutritional enrichment that they crave.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/21/07 03:07 PM

still waiting for pics billy

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/21/07 05:43 PM

Yup, exactly what I was looking for - Thanks!

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/22/07 02:22 AM

Ok here are the pics that I promised of how my mix looks like before being fed.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p238/agilitygliders/Photo128.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p238/agilitygliders/Photo127.jpg

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/22/07 02:24 AM

did you smoothie your fruits and veggies?

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/22/07 02:30 AM

Yes

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/22/07 02:38 AM

ok, that's why it's darker than mine usually is.

I think I'm going to try to smoothie half the fruits and veggies, then leave some chunks so they can pick it up and carry them around.

Thanks for the pics!

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/22/07 02:42 AM

Sure.

As you can see I smoothie it pretty chunky but as much as possible to avoid food all over my walls, LOL.

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/23/07 05:08 AM

Well, I just wanted to report in - today is day 5 on Priscilla's Diet. Both cages have adored it & completely cleaned it up every night. Day 1 we went with the egg mix, day 2 plain, day 3 chicken mix, day 4 plain. Tonight we're having plain mix with a side of mealies. We're off to a good start and I'm excited to see how things progress!

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/23/07 05:10 AM

Great to hear Gina!!!

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/23/07 12:08 PM

We have the same result with every combo we put down (except the babies didn't enjoy the tofu)......we changed the fruit combo and that seemed to help, but given our options, I think we will avoid the tofu in the future....anyone with similar experience?

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/23/07 02:13 PM

I have to say that since I have been feeding this diet my gliders seem to be much more "satisfied". I have several babies that work with me and I used to get attacked for my morning yogurt and my turkey sandwich...however since they have been eating this I do not get asked to share. And they seem to be more playful and so happy. Glad to hear it is going good for you as well!

Re: Wanna hear about Pricilla's Diet - 01/23/07 02:26 PM

Since this thread has become so long I will be closing this one and starting a new one. thumb

Diet II
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL