GliderCENTRAL

New Suagr Glider Owner

Posted By: LaShae1995

New Suagr Glider Owner - 04/11/22 04:12 AM

Hello, everyone 😄 I am a new glider owner with some questions any help would be much much appreciated 😊

My question is about bedding....

I have a cage that does not have a drop pan and since the people I bought the gliders from used pine pellets that is what I used. They have been using pine pellets for 3 months now and no problems. They're doing absolutely great 👍 (in direct contact with pine pellets. Cage doesn't have a drop pan)

I however found the pine pellets to be messy so I was going to swap them over to the bedding we use for our guniea pigs and bunnies. Kaytee Clean and Cozy Lavender Scented Bedding.

However upon more research I found out that scented bedding may not be the best since they are scent based pets and have sensitive respiratory systems. I could always buy unscented though if that was the only issue.

I also read posts about them not needing to be in direct contact with the bedding because they may eat a piece and it could cause blockages. I never had that issue with my other pets but I am not sure about gliders if they would try and eat it or not.

I do not own a cage with a drop pan so my question is should I stick with the pine pellets or could I introduced then to carefresh or kaytee bedding? Also should it be unscented or could it be scented? They use real lavender buds so it seems to be the healthiest and safest scented bedding out there in my opinion.

Any advice on what to use for bedding in a glider cage would be great and much appreciated (they'll have direct contact with it so it would need to be 100% safe for them)💕
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: New Suagr Glider Owner - 04/11/22 11:14 AM

:welcomegc:
I don't think its a good idea for the gliders to be in direct contact with the pellets or any type of bedding. If it were me, I would either line the tray with fleece and wash it every other day or wipe the tray out daily.
You are right about scented paper bedding where scent is concerned.
Gliders may taste the bedding, but I would be concerned about them breathing in the dust from it.
Is there a grate under the drop pan (if the bar spacing is 1/2" or less)?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: New Suagr Glider Owner - 04/11/22 02:41 PM

There is a grate but I can not get any of the pans to go under it like you would a drop pan.
What do you think about shredded paper? (They would be in direct contact with)
I may start using the fleece ideal, I actually just learned about it last night.
They aren't showing any symptoms or problems being in direct contact with pine pellets and its been 3 months so could I still use that if I wanted too?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: New Suagr Glider Owner - 04/11/22 02:43 PM

That me .. LaShae1995 I don't know why it says Anonymous 🤔
Posted By: Feather

Re: New Suagr Glider Owner - 04/13/22 12:29 AM

I believe you have a Critter Nation cage. Here is a video of how to turn the pan into a drop pan under the grate.
Critter Nation drop pan tutorial.

Re: New Suagr Glider Owner - 04/13/22 07:53 AM

Ok ill take a look at the link you sent thank you 😊

Re: New Suagr Glider Owner - 04/21/22 08:56 AM

I am using fleece flooring now and they love it thanks guys 😃
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL