GliderCENTRAL

Which Gender is best for colony?

Posted By: SugarFloof

Which Gender is best for colony? - 09/11/19 10:40 PM

Hello everyone! I'm new to GC and have a question.
I am currently doing research, Getting supplies, looking into getting gliders (a group of 3 most likely.) and i was wondering if getting 3 Neutered Males, 1 Neutered Male & 2 Females, or getting a group of 3 Females is best? I don't care about what sexes I own, but want to make sure not to do anything wrong since I'm going to be new to Glider owning. grin thanks
Posted By: Hutch

Re: Which Gender is best for colony? - 09/12/19 02:47 AM

Honestly, since the males will be neutered it doesn't really matter. It is less about the sex and more about the personality of the sugar glider as to how well they get along with the colony.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Which Gender is best for colony? - 09/12/19 05:18 PM

Hi and :welcomegc:!

I lost everything I typed last night, but it was a good thing.

Now I can agree with Hutch and add that my first two were girls and had become somewhat inactive. So just before their 4th birthday, I got Stewie... And I was warned about his behavior. He was a Joey and neutered, but it didn't slow him down. He is very hyper, doesn't bite, an all around sweetheart and has an awesome disposition. He's 18 months old now and has livened things up. The girls eat better, play like they have never played before. He was what my girls needed.

Having said that, I am still having issues with Stewie wanting to take over the alpha role, and I feel it has to do with some issues that have to do with each of the girls. It's too long of a story, but I feel if you get them all at the same time, a good breeder that is breeding for a better temperament, and they are already bonded, you won't have to deal with the issues I have.

Good luck and please keep us posted!
Posted By: Xeno

Re: Which Gender is best for colony? - 09/12/19 06:29 PM

The only difference is that some males, particularly when neutered late, still have a mating urge even when neutered. I can tell when one of the girls is in heat because there is more barking in the day and the boys both mate with the girl in heat. This is not a problem in any way as they still get along fine.

My girls are the more hyper members of my colony. Too have nipping problems but it is one of each gender. Your main interest should be personality over gender. I would also give preference to gliders that have already been together for a while. Buying a la carte can mean rolling the dice on introductions. It will probably go fine but you will need separate homes so they can have time to learn to get along.
Posted By: Claralice

Re: Which Gender is best for colony? - 09/13/19 04:18 AM

I agree with all and want to reemphasize getting them all at the same time and from a reputable source!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL