Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Quarantine Information #889823
01/05/10 11:20 PM
01/05/10 11:20 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
This thread is a compilation of information and questions about quarantine from Glider Central threads. More information may be added as it is discussed.

Quarantine Basics;

The common things to watch for during the quarantine period are:
* diarrhea
* constipation
* vomiting
* severe shaking
* lethargy
( originally posted by sugarglidersuz, 04/17/07)

"Quarantine does no good unless it is strictly followed! This means NO contact with your other glider/s, not even being in the same room! I talked to someone recently who thought as long as the gliders weren't housed in the same cage, they could have play time together and this would be considered being quarantined.
When you get a new glider, you should begin the 30 day quarantine immediately AND schedule a vet visit ASAP. The vet should do a fecal float and smear, urinalysis and an over-all check-up, including weight.
AFTER the quarantine and BEFORE introducing your new glider to your other glider/s, take the new glider BACK to the vet for a second check-up. This is important because there are many things that won't show up before the thirty days. BUT, if you don't take your glider back for a second check-up to see if anything shows up, the thirty day quarantine was for nothing. If something is wrong, unless you go back to the vet for the second check-up and tests, you won't find out what developed enough to be discovered on the second test. The first test is a baseline, to be used to check against the second test.
I have seen many times, where it has been advised to do a thirty day quarantine, but I've not seen anyone advise to do the second check-up." (originally posted by suggiemom_1980, 10/12/08)

"... there should be NO CROSS CONTAMINATION for the full 30 days. Unfortunately it seems to me that lots of people will have to learn the importance of that through tragedy as just using common sense is too difficult or people have a "well it came from so & so" or "it won't happen to me" complex." (originally posted by Trigger, 10/13/08)

"QUARANTINE-new gliders should be kept in a separate cage, in a separate room in your home for THIRTY (30) DAYS after you get the new glider. It will be necessary to WASH and SANITIZE your hands and CHANGE CLOTHES after handling glider(s) from one room BEFORE you go into another glider(s) room." (originally posted by LabNGliderMom, 10/1/09)

· At the end of the quarantine time, BOTH old and NEW gliders should be checked by a vet for any illnesses or parasites.

"Quarantine is not about whether you know the other glider or not - or about what diet is fed. Illnesses in gliders incubate and can become active with stress. Any time a glider is moved to a new environment, it stresses." (originally posted by Jackie_Chans_Mom, 10/16/08)

"...if you have one glider using you as a human tree you need to COMPLETELY clean up and CHANGE CLOTHES prior to taking out the second glider during the quarantine... otherwise, you are exposing BOTH gliders to whatever one or the other of them might have, defeating the purpose of quarantine." (originally posted by LabNGliderMom, 9/1/09)

Quarantine Q&A [Re: sugarlope] #889826
01/05/10 11:35 PM
01/05/10 11:35 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Q: "Why the quarantine? I mean why are diseases any more likely to be spread in the first 30 days compared to time after this when we don't know if they are sick or healthy in the first place? It just seems like if a glider is going to get another glider sick, it will happen regardless of time apart in the first 30 days. It seems to only make sense if we know if one is sick and can tell if it has gotten better. It's probably really simple, I just can't figure it out. Just curious, sorry if the answer is obvious." (originally posted by Anonymous, 04/16/07)

A: "It is for the health and safety of both gliders - the new and current… as with any new pet a wellness check is a good idea, but the 30 day quarantine allows enough time for anything to incubate and for the new owner to catch it before it is passed to another glider.
... gliders hide their illness, to their own detriment … the 30 day window gives you time to catch problems … even seasoned glider people have had problems with introducing seemingly healthy gliders and then finding problems down the line because they did not observe the 30 day period… it is just a best practices type thing. " (originally posted by Xglider, 4/17/07 )

A: "I'd also like to remind folks that even IF... gliders have fairly recently tested negative for Giardia prior to rehoming, the stress of rehoming can sometimes cause Giardia, etc. to flourish in a glider's body...Hence, the importance of retesting gliders after rehoming them in addition to a thirty day quarantine period." (originally posted by WendiH, 11/5/09)

A: "Too many folks assume that their glider is OK just because the prior owner (or breeder) says they are...Unfortunately, many folks take the previous owner at their word. Many of them really do not know their glider may be carrying parasites and just assume that there is no way they could get them." (originally posted by OtteMom, 11/5/09)

Re: Quarantine Q&A [Re: sugarlope] #889827
01/05/10 11:36 PM
01/05/10 11:36 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Q: "What is the reason for doing a thirty day quarantine period? I understand the reason for a quarantine, but why so long?
Giardia's incubation period in animals is 1-2 weeks, and that seems to be the most prevalent communicable disease between gliders. So why thirty days?" (originally posted by Paramecium, 10/22/08)

A: "...as I understand it from my vet - intestinal parasites [may take up to or more than 30 days to appear]. Apparently there are some who don't "shed" actively all the time - and the 30 days is, I think I remember correctly - the life cycle. So - if they were in there, they would have gone through an entire life cycle?" (originally posted by ValkyrieMome 10/22/08)

A: "How about if the word "quarantine" was replaced with the word "adjustment period"? Let me expand on my concept here:
A glider normally takes 30 days to "adjust" to their new surroundings, the sounds and smells there (this includes their new owner too)...the things in their new cage...their food...everything! They're a little stressed being literally "relocated" to a whole new world...just like us. In the course of those 30 days, if an illness is there at all, it will appear by then. (Giardia, as I understand it, can lay dormant for up to 3 months in a glider's system before it becomes detectable...this is just an EXAMPLE) The STRESS created by being in a new environment can accelerate the "hatching" process...a glider's immune system weakens when they're stressed...therefore allowing the giardia to get a "stronghold" & making itself known...which allows a vet to detect it & medicine to be given to kill it.
I've never liked the word "quarantine"....it's like you're doubting the LACK of an illness's presence before you even give the newcomer the CHANCE to prove it's not there." (originally posted by minkasmom)

A: "I read somewhere that leptospirosis, which is a bacterial zoonotic disease, can have an incubation period of almost 30 days in some animals. Salmonella could be a concern as well. Most animals have it in normal, healthy levels to aid in digestion. When an animal becomes stressed and conditions are just right inside the body, the bacteria can flourish, multiply and be shed through feces. An animal in quarantine may not show positive results for salmonella at first, but if they become overly stressed at any time during their adjustment period, they could test positive and then need to be treated." (originally posted by Padros4 10/22/08)

A: "When my father was the Deputy Administrator for APHIS Veterinary Services, the quarantine period for any animal entering the country was set at 30 days. This has been an industry standard for many decades. I'm quite sure that it is because of all the reasons already mentioned above and Denise/minkasmom has got the right of it in the above quote." (originally quoted by sugarglidersuz 10/23/08)

Re: Quarantine Q&A [Re: sugarlope] #889828
01/05/10 11:39 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Q: "I understand that new gliders have to be quarantined from other gliders in order to let any parasites in the gliders make themselves evident so that a vet can treat them and give them a clean bill of health.
My question is, why do they have to be in completely separate rooms? I thought that parasites were spread by food and saliva and were not airborne? Is this correct? If so, would it be ok if the gliders were in separate cages across the room from each other, no contact?" (originally posted by bushbaby88, 9/17/09)

A: "Some illness can be airborn, depends what you are dealing with. A cold for example could travel around to all cages in the room. Ear mites are parasites that could easily travel across the room and infect a second cage. In addition to this, if they are in the same room you have a greater chance of cross contamination if general. And there is always the chance that one could escape and come in direct contact with the other." (originally posted by SugareeErin, 9/17/09)

Re: Quarantine Q&A [Re: sugarlope] #889829
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Q: "So should the glider(s) you're going to intro the new glider(s) to also go in for a check before intros in case something has come up in that 30-day period?" (originally posted by TracieB, 10/18/08)

A: "Yes, it is possible that your current gliders may already be carrying something, and hiding it well. It is also possible that the introduction of a new glider(s) into the house could trigger a stress reaction and subsequently lower their immune system. This could cause a flare of a previous infection, or make them vulnerable to new infection, which is why second tests of BOTH the new and current gliders at the end of quarantine should be performed." (originally posted by sugarlope)

Re: Quarantine Q&A [Re: sugarlope] #889830
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Q: "I know that when you get another glider they need to be quarantined in a separate room with separate cage things for 30 days and get a vet check before and after...can you still carry them around with you as long as they're in separate bonding pouches?" (originally posted by Tish84, 8/29/09)

A: "No. The whole idea of quarantine is to keep them away from each other until you know for sure there are no health issues to be concerned about." (originally posted by gliderma, 8/29/09)

Follow up Q: "Even if one is in a bra bonding pouch in my shirt and the other 2 are in a smuggler on my hip?" (originally posted by Tish84, 8/29/09)

A: "Even if they are on your head and toes. They should not be any where near each other and you should be washing your hands or using sanitizer in between handling them to avoid cross contamination of any illness or parasite they may have...quarantine is done for a very specific reason, so if you are going to "wear" them together, you might as well not be doing the quarantine in the first place." (originally posted by gliderma, 8/29/09)

Re: Quarantine Q&A [Re: sugarlope] #889831
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Q: "...can there be a totally separate bonding pouch for the new suggie and can it be worn at different times from the other one. Say I wear my original baby for a couple hrs, then wash up and get the new suggie/pouch and wear her for a couple hrs...is that ok?" (originally posted by StitchsElle, 8/31/09)

A: "Yes, if you clean up entirely, changing pouches, you can wear them both around at different times. It is best to take a shower and change clothes and not store your bonding pouches close to each other. It would probably be best to wear the new glider around first since they are the most likely to have something contagious (or take two showers a day, lol)." (originally posted by sugarlope)

Re: Quarantine Q&A [Re: sugarlope] #889832
01/05/10 11:40 PM
01/05/10 11:40 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Q: "Should I wash their laundry...pouches, etc. separate? (originally posted by Tish84, 8/29/09)

A: "I never wash mine separately BUT, my washer has a sanitizing setting, which means it heats the water hotter than what comes out of the tap. I also dry as hot as the dryer could be set. I do wash their dishes, wheels and hard toys separately and add bleach to the wash water." (originally posted by suggiemom_1980, 8/31/09)

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 400 guests, and 77 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,080 OHIO
487,163 OKLAHOMA
432,166 UTAH
321,694 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024