Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
My First Loss #593619
07/21/08 05:47 AM
07/21/08 05:47 AM

R
Rachel
Unregistered
Rachel
Unregistered
R

My boyfriend and I glider-proofed our bedroom. It offered our sugar gliders a change of scenery and gave us a chance to relax and watch them having fun while laying in bed, watching TV.

We adopted a second pair of sugar gliders about a month ago. bonding with them has been tough because they're adults. Our joeys were so easy to bond with though they needed more attention. Anyways, because there is an intact male in both pairs we kept them separate during out of cage time. The little ones were in the glider-proofed bedroom and the adult pair was in the glider room. It worked out beautifully for my boyfriend and I and the animals.

We spent tonight in the glider room with our new adult pair. My boyfriend made trips back and fourth to check on the babies in our bedroom. When playtime was up and we went to get Samson and Lilah, Samson was gone.

After a long search of the bedroom we discovered the panel that sits in the window and holds our air conditioner in place while keeping outside air out of the room had come loose. There was ample space for a sugar glider to sneak out. After searching our property we realised the likelihood of ever seeing Samson again was very small.

Our hearts are broken. We laid in bed together for hours and sobbed. How could we be so stupid? Of all our gliders, why Samson? What will people think? Mostly we just thought about what a special little man Samson had been, how lucky we were to have him in our lives and how sad it is that he's gone.

Samson was five and a half months old. He was our sweetest tempered sugar glider. He'd had a rough start. His twin sister died of malnutrition. Their mom had been bullied by other sugar gliders in her colony and wasn't eating enough for herself. Samson was hand-raised during the night and snuggled up with his fur mom during the day. The two made a full recovery. I was asked by the breeder if I would take Samson because she and her family had grown so fond of him and needed to know he was going to a loving, knowledgeable home.

What will Samson's breeder think when my boyfriend calls to tell her we desperately need a new companion for Lilah? She trusted my boyfriend and I to provide Samson with the best home possible. We've betrayed her trust. Will she let us have another of her gliders or will she think less of us for losing one of her gliders who she'd become so close to?

This all could have been avoided if my boyfriend and I had more thoroughly examined every corner of our bedroom. We would have encountered and dealt with the stupid AC panel ages ago. I can guarantee we will never let this happen again. It's such a painful lesson to learn though.

Re: My First Loss [Re: ] #593649
07/21/08 07:16 AM
07/21/08 07:16 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Rachel,
I'm so sorry for your loss hug2 Please don't give up on Samson so soon though. He may very well come home heart Leave food and pouches near the window where you think he escaped and try to lure him home again. Sometimes even though it seems like a lost cause the glider will still come home again - even after months away...
hug2 hug2 hug2

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: My First Loss [Re: sugarglidersuz] #593658
07/21/08 07:33 AM
07/21/08 07:33 AM

R
Rachel
Unregistered
Rachel
Unregistered
R

I just can't forgive myself for this. I don't dare think about where he is or how he is now. And it's all my fault.

I'm scared to get my hopes up because the likelihood of being disappointed is so great. I will follow your directions though and leave pouches and food at our bedroom window and the glider room window.

Re: My First Loss [Re: ] #593850
07/21/08 01:47 PM
07/21/08 01:47 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
I agree with Suz, put out some pouches in the nearby trees and at the window just in case. They are so little, no matter how we try to protect them, things sometimes happen. hug2 I am so sorry. hug2

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: My First Loss [Re: sugarlope] #605441
08/06/08 05:42 AM
08/06/08 05:42 AM

R
Rachel
Unregistered
Rachel
Unregistered
R

Just an update:

Samson didn't come home.

Lilah was amazing on her own. She was confused for a few hours. Interacting with the pair of suggies in the cage next to hers was really good for her though.

Our breeder was also amazing. She didn't judge us a bit. All she wanted to do was help. I'm so thankful for the genuinely kind and knowledgeable support network I have.

She had a little boy a couple months older than Samson and Lilah who had been bullied in his colony and was living solo. He fell in love with Lilah when we introduced them. Lilah hissed at him when he sniffed her bum.

The second time we put them in the same room Lilah climbed into his pouch and went to sleep with him. I couldn't have asked for a better introduction.

Now that we've got things sorted out for Lilah my boyfriend and I are doing the mourning we didn't get to when we were frantically trying to get Lilah a friend. There are a lot of tears. We don't regret having had him though. We just wish we had never had to go through this ordeal.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 385 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,598 TEXAS
679,085 OHIO
487,177 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,700 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024