Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cleaning the Cage #1385916
01/21/15 09:54 PM
01/21/15 09:54 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
I've experimented with several cage/accessory cleaning schedules and routines. I basically lately still stagger, but every few months (about 4)I use my hand held steamer on it after the entire cage has been wiped down with v/w solution (1 part v and 3 parts w dilution), cage is also wiped down after steaming. I use the steamer because I've not been able to take the cage outdoors to scrub with soap water and rinse well. In between I basically every couple of weeks wipe down with v/w solution inside the cage alternately lower and upper halves (levels). I leave some toys and some fleece with their scent and swap in somethings new or not used for a while, move some stuff around and occasionally more drastic changes. Areas of the cage are spot cleaned daily when the drop pan is cleaned. The sleeping pouch gets changed weekly and wheels get wiped down weekly as well as cage floor. Every few weeks (3-4) I'll take wheels out and scrub as well as larger floor toys (which also usually get wiped down weekly). The other toys get changed out and cleaned about every couple weeks.

Okay, now that I've listed my general routine, which has worked well for me as far as odor goes.
Here are my questions:
1. When I was moving, I took advantage of having my cage outdoors prior to loading into Uhaul. I scrubbed it with soapy dish water and rinsed with hose really well, then let it sit in the sun to dry, I also wiped it a little bit with a towel, because I'm afraid of rust. Now that was in mid to late November. I'm wondering if that would okay to replace the steam clean, and go ahead and wait til March to do the thorough clean using steam cleaner?

(I'd prefer to be able to take the cage outdoors, but having on the second story, there is no way without taking it apart, and I'm not planing on doing that until I move again)

2. Is there any other method to thoroughly clean the entire cage other than taking outside for scrubbing or steam cleaning. The cage cannot be transported to the bathroom and would not fit in the bathtub. I'm asking I guess if anyone knows of other safe products that will clean thoroughly the grime and sticky off that will not harm the gliders since it's not rinsed off, or harm the cage? I do take the floor grate out occasionally to scrub down and hose off, maybe 2x year.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Cleaning the Cage [Re: Terry] #1385927
01/22/15 10:00 AM
01/22/15 10:00 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
How big is you cage? Both of mine will fit in the bathtub. The one for our RV also fits in the shower of the RV barely. Because both the shower and bathtub are fiber glass, I have to use a pot holder under each corner to keep them from scratching the finish.

I use a plastic round toilet brush (purchesed only for cages!) And Dawn dishsoap to scrub and shower them off. I have a handheld sprayer.

Because of the size and weight of the cage at home, my hubby has to help get it into the tub. Once I'm done, I dry it off, stick back on its rolly cart, and then clean my tub.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Cleaning the Cage [Re: Terry] #1385928
01/22/15 10:01 AM
01/22/15 10:01 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
I too would rather take it outside, but wrong time of year...

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Cleaning the Cage [Re: Terry] #1385967
01/22/15 09:12 PM
01/22/15 09:12 PM
southern Ct
Nora Offline
Glider Explorer
Nora  Offline
Glider Explorer

southern Ct
The toilet brush is a great idea! I have been using old towels which do work, but it takes so long to get all the gunk off! I am going to go and get a brush tomorrow! Thanks so much for sharing that idea!

Sharon

Mom to:
Zeva :grey: & Zoey :grey:

Cooper- Our wonderful Bichon!

Daughters, Lauren & Jennifer(all grown up)
Hubby & best friend, Paul heart
Re: Cleaning the Cage [Re: Nora] #1385981
01/23/15 11:19 AM
01/23/15 11:19 AM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
The cage will not fit in the bath tub. The toilet brush is a good idea, it would get between the bars a little better. I use a scrub brush meant for dishes on their wheels and large floor toys, it worked fine.

When I use the v/w solution and (when use steamer) I use a regular sponge. I went ahead and purchased a two sided sponge at the Dollar Tree, and the last wipe down I used the tougher side on spots that were stickier. If I ever get a chance in the future to get the cage outdoors again for a cleaning, I will make sure I get one of those toilet brushes to use just for that, thanks for the idea.

What I really need is to know if there is a more effective solution (cleaner) to remove sticky gunk funk off the cage that is safe for the gliders that can just be sprayed on and wiped off, without needing to be rinsed.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: Cleaning the Cage [Re: Terry] #1386013
01/23/15 04:00 PM
01/23/15 04:00 PM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
For the sticky stuff - you might just use a very wet sponge and hot water and hold it in place long enough for the sticky spots to soak a few minutes before scrubbing. Let the hot water soften it first then it will be much easier to wash away.

When I do my cages out side I hose the sticky areas for several minutes before I begin washing the cage so it is very easy to remove the sticky stuff.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: Cleaning the Cage [Re: Terry] #1386014
01/23/15 04:02 PM
01/23/15 04:02 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Ok, what about "Awesome". I get it from Dollar General by the quart. Or at Walmart in a sprayer. I have layed an old shower curtain down, rolled the cage to the middle, placed towels around the edge of the shower curtain, spray down. Make sure the area is ventillated. It smells strong. Give it 20 mins, brush a bit where it's crusty, spray those areas again. Dish pan with as hot water as you can stand, wipe down with semi wrung out terry cloth, yes it will drip. Continue untill it's rinsed of cleaner.

That's what I had to do when the babies litterally walked through their diet, and climbed all over the cage. It was messy, but it worked. After I wiped the cage dry, I carefully layed down a towel in front of the direction I wanted to roll cage, and rolled it off the shower curtain. I then threw all towels and stuff in to middle of shower curtain, took it outside, shook off anything I didn't want to wash in my washer, and tossed everything into washer. Second rinsed it, hung shower curtain to dry,
and used the dryer for all the towels.

While I was washing the cage, I put the sweet sleeping fuzzbutts in their carrier, and put them at the other end of the house till I was sure the cage was dry, and put back together.

I don't know if "Awesome" is safe, but at the time I didn't care. I just had a sticky mess, and it was the best way at the time to fix the mess that I knew of. Awesome is slick, you can feel it if its not rinsed well enough.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Cleaning the Cage [Re: Terry] #1386021
01/23/15 05:08 PM
01/23/15 05:08 PM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
If completely rinsed off and the cage fully dried after cleaning most cleaners are safe. Thorough rinsing is always necessary.

I prefer to use plain old Dawn dish soap myself. It removes all the sticky food and rinses easily. If it is safe enough to clean oil spills off ducks and other wildlife - it is safe for gliders.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024