GliderCENTRAL

Foraging Ideas

Posted By: Gio

Foraging Ideas - 04/24/12 06:02 PM

I wanted to see if anyone has good foraging ideas to help stimulate the brain a bit tounge Food or stuffs, and what are your experiences with food. Have you hidden food, only to never be found again?? Im considering Foraging night at least twice a week. Thanks for your 2 cents!
Posted By: yiyo

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/24/12 06:14 PM

There was a great thread a while back calle "Hey Mom! What's for dinner?" that had some really great ideas. But I can't find it now frown maybe it's too old dunno

We could start another one though grin

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/24/12 06:20 PM

that would be great! So far I've placed apple/ pear wedges between the bars and every time they have disappeared lol
Posted By: jmuroff

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/24/12 06:59 PM

That's a great idea Gio!! Im going to have to try that!

Originally Posted By: Gio
that would be great! So far I've placed apple/ pear wedges between the bars and every time they have disappeared lol
Posted By: SugarBattyPatty

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/24/12 07:22 PM

I heard here a while ago that someone would take spaghetti and string it on the bars of their cage. Not as an everyday thing, but an occassional treat. Which makes me think...What about taking spaghetti and stringing Cheerios on it and hanging it in the cage. I've also heard of people giving thrie gliders Apple Cheerios (only as a treat.)

Wha I have personally done is taken the skewers from my BBQ set and put fruit, corn cobs (small) etc. on them and hung them from the top of the cage.
Posted By: norton33

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/24/12 07:49 PM

There are tons of ways to make foraging toys!

I personally have used the skewer idea as well - it's a hit.

We also hide snap-peas all around the cage, wrapped in fleece, etc. I have also used plastic cups (solo cups, smaller ones like you would use for mouth wash, etc) - take one cup, put some food in it, put another cup right inside it as if you are going to stack them to put them away. They can work to separate those.

Mealworms wrapped in leafy greens that are glider safe, easter eggs, "tooth fairy" treasure chests...

I also found some fake green 'grass' that is supposed to be for baby fish to hide in in a fish tank. It's very soft plastic, and great to hide some peas or corn in the different pieces. Cheap too.

The plastic C-clips can be used to impale certain fruits or veggies and hang them from... well anywhere you can put a c-clip. I have used those small plastic cups (mouthwash size) - treats / food in the bottom, then put a ping pong ball in it. Makes it hard to get out. A little easier is the ping pong sized whiffle balls.

Just some thoughts! Keep 'em coming!

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/24/12 08:45 PM

Those are great ideas! I really like the tall grass idea lol

Originally Posted By: norton33
There are tons of ways to make foraging toys!

I personally have used the skewer idea as well - it's a hit.

We also hide snap-peas all around the cage, wrapped in fleece, etc. I have also used plastic cups (solo cups, smaller ones like you would use for mouth wash, etc) - take one cup, put some food in it, put another cup right inside it as if you are going to stack them to put them away. They can work to separate those.

Mealworms wrapped in leafy greens that are glider safe, easter eggs, "tooth fairy" treasure chests...

I also found some fake green 'grass' that is supposed to be for baby fish to hide in in a fish tank. It's very soft plastic, and great to hide some peas or corn in the different pieces. Cheap too.

The plastic C-clips can be used to impale certain fruits or veggies and hang them from... well anywhere you can put a c-clip. I have used those small plastic cups (mouthwash size) - treats / food in the bottom, then put a ping pong ball in it. Makes it hard to get out. A little easier is the ping pong sized whiffle balls.

Just some thoughts! Keep 'em coming!

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/24/12 09:20 PM

Ok so thought of some: Dixie shot cups and coffee stirer straws, skewer the cups and place treat/food inside and afix it to the inside of the cage for them to reach inside. Make a cone out of a banana peel and put some berries/honey inside the peel, hang the peel upright and afix the impromptu cup to the cage.

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/24/12 09:47 PM

Put Meal worms inside a small dixie cup and tie it to the outside of the house. Shred up a brown paper bag and put the shreddings (un-inked) into a chinese take out container, place the food/treats inside, close the top and cut a hole or two on the sides and hang from the inside of their house, I wonder if they'd make a mess..
Posted By: Gizmogirl

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/26/12 05:43 AM

Here you go:

You can hide their fruits/veggies, change the size for example instead of cutting up foods in cubes you can give bigger chunks etc. Instead of cutting up their watermelon for example, I will use one whole slice and hang it in their cage.

You need to find a way to present the food that your gliders like. Use foraging cups (shot glasses) to put their fruits/veggies all over the cage.

Hide things in straws. Wrap fruits/veggies in bok choi leaves. Like wrapping blue berries in the leaves.

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/26/12 05:44 AM

They will find their food much more interesting if you change up the presentations and make it a bit more of a challenge.

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/26/12 05:45 AM

Cut a red, yellow or green pepper in the shape of a bowl, line the sweet pepper with bok choi or spinach, add broccoli and green beans.

Cook a squash with no spices added, fill it with their veggie mix.

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/26/12 05:46 AM

String Fresh Strawberries and Kiwi Fruit on a cocktail stick.

Banana Split:

Peel a banana 3/4 of the way, cut off 3/4 of the banana and eat. J leaving 1/4 of the banana in the peel. Cover the banana with honey and dip in coconut. Tie a fleece string to the banana end and hang in the cage. My babies don't like banana, but this way, they some extensive nibbling!

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/26/12 05:48 AM

Guava Swing:

Remove the top and bottom part of the Guava. Push a cocktail stick through the center part of the guava. Attach fleece to both ends of the cocktail stick to be able to hang it in the cage.

Make tiny holes all over the Guava with the back end of a teaspoon.

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/26/12 05:50 AM

Apple Swing:

Remove the center part of the apple making sure there are no pits left.

Place a Celery stick through the center and make several tiny holes all over the apple.

Fill some of the holes with acacia gum, then attach a fleece strip to the Celery ends to be able to hang it in the cage.

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/26/12 05:51 AM

Cabbage platter:

Use a cabbage leaf as a bowl and fill it with mushrooms, tomato, radish and parsley.

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/26/12 05:51 AM

Carrot Fountain:

Wash and peel a carrot, use the peeler to create thin strips to hang down. Attach a fleece strip to the top end of the carrot to be able to hang it in the cage.

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/26/12 05:52 AM

Cucumber Spiral:

Cut a piece of cucumber in a spiral, attach a link to hang it from and voila!

You can place a scewer through the center of the cucumber, begin at one end of the skewered cucumber, place your knife at a slight angle and cut down to the skewer. Continue cutting with the blade resting against the skewer while turning cucumber until you reach the end.

Posted By: Countryncrafty

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/26/12 05:58 AM

I love all these ideas! Bookmarking!
Posted By: yiyo

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/26/12 12:22 PM

I'm so happy Liezl saw this :hdance: :hdance: She has the best ideas and pictures!

I stole her ideas long ago and my fuzzies are so happy thanks

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/26/12 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: yiyo
I'm so happy Liezl saw this :hdance: :hdance: She has the best ideas and pictures!

I stole her ideas long ago and my fuzzies are so happy thanks

:thumb2: hug2

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/26/12 03:38 PM

WOW awesome ideas!! Thanks!!

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/26/12 03:43 PM

You are very welcome. wink

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/26/12 04:17 PM

When you do something like the apple above - you leave the whole thing in all night, right? I know they aren't like some animals, and they do stop eating when they are full... but I have seen my Norton almost clear a corn on the cob, and then sit back reclined (literally, like on his back reclined) with his belly sticking out just vegging out lol... he doesn't know how to ration his corn! Was actually hysterical, kind of how I'd be on a couch after a huge meal. After 15-20 minutes he was bouncing around again lol.

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/26/12 04:18 PM

Oh and for peppers, cucumbers, etc - what about the seeds?
Posted By: pannonia

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/26/12 04:37 PM

jump
Oh my goodness I love these ideas!!!!
Posted By: ejohnson22

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/26/12 05:24 PM

Thanks for posting your ideas! I'll definitely be using some of these smile
Posted By: jmuroff

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/26/12 06:26 PM

OMG! I love these ideas!!! SAVING POST....NOW lol jump :hdance:
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/26/12 09:40 PM

I love all of these ideas! My Sebastian is such a picky eater. Quick question about the veggies like corn and green beans- should I lightly steam them?
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/26/12 09:45 PM

You don't need to. Just feed them frozen or thawed. (Not canned though.)
Posted By: Meg_n_Von

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/27/12 04:49 AM

Yay! I was hoping I would see posts from Liezl! clap

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/27/12 06:54 AM

When you do something like the apple above - you leave the whole thing in all night, right? I know they aren't like some animals, and they do stop eating when they are full... but I have seen my Norton almost clear a corn on the cob, and then sit back reclined (literally, like on his back reclined) with his belly sticking out just vegging out lol... he doesn't know how to ration his corn! Was actually hysterical, kind of how I'd be on a couch after a huge meal. After 15-20 minutes he was bouncing around again lol.

Yes I leave it in all night. :thumb2:

Oh and for peppers, cucumbers, etc - what about the seeds?

It's a habit for me to remove the pepper seeds, I never remove the cucumber seeds though. wink

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/27/12 06:55 AM

Originally Posted By: GliderNursery
You don't need to. Just feed them frozen or thawed. (Not canned though.)

:thumb2:

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/27/12 06:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Meg_n_Von
Yay! I was hoping I would see posts from Liezl! clap

Will pop in more often now. :lshower:
Posted By: johnp

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/27/12 01:05 PM

ok i have a question what do you do about picky eaters my littles guys dont seam to like strawberrys or or any berrys at all .i have a hard time picking out fruit that they will eat ,
Posted By: MissLady

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/27/12 01:53 PM

This is so cool! I never thought to be so creative with their food! I'm totally trying some of these ideas later :D I already know my babies will love it!
Posted By: IndieAndStella

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/27/12 02:03 PM

my girls arent particularly fond of berries either, but keep trying different types...one night they will like something, the next, turn their noses up!

i LOVE all these ideas; i think the creative ways might help get your fuzzies to try new fruits too!

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/27/12 02:24 PM

Ours are on and off with berries. Blueberries only if they are the big fat juicy ones. Blackberries got demolished last night... as I can tell from the specs of blackberry ALL OVER the cage, backdrop sheet, wall, floor, etc.

Little monsters.

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/27/12 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By: johnp
ok i have a question what do you do about picky eaters my littles guys dont seam to like strawberrys or or any berrys at all .i have a hard time picking out fruit that they will eat ,

Sometimes trial and error is the only way to know. Also being creative in how you present their food (like above in this thread) may make a difference for them as well.

Honestly, I sometimes think offering too many varieties allows them to be too picky. (I'm probably one of the few with that opinion though! LOL) Try not to offer too many different things at once. Take notes on what they eat and what they don't. And remember, what they turn their nose up to tonight, they may eat tomorrow like its their favorite food!

Good luck!
Posted By: StowawayGliders

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/28/12 04:16 AM

Awesome ideas, now I need some of those skewers. smile
Posted By: kikimeeko13

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/28/12 04:21 AM

just used the cup idea...very easy to start out with...thank you! smile

Re: Foraging Ideas - 04/28/12 03:40 PM

The little skewers can be found at Wal-mart, drug stores, grocery stores ect. I have used the small "sword toothpicks" found in the aisles with mixed drinks. The sword ones have the little handle that you can use to hang them too!

Re: Foraging Ideas - 05/02/12 08:41 PM

I Thought maybe ya'll would enjoy this..its for birds, but substitute nuts for fruits/veggies/treats. Enjoy!

http://www.sheknows.com/home-and-gardening/articles/955081/build-a-diy-bird-feeder
Posted By: SugarGliderLove

Re: Foraging Ideas - 06/07/12 08:42 PM

I might try some of these ideas. all of my gliders dont really care for strawberries. i know my gliders are not picky cause I offer 2 fruits, & mixed veggies that you get at the store & their bml

Re: Foraging Ideas - 06/07/12 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: SugarGliderLove
I offer 2 fruits, & mixed veggies that you get at the store & their bml

You can offer 7 different fruits if you are following the BML diet (cantelope, watermelon, honey dew, apples, grapes, blueberries, and cherries). Wasn't sure if you knew that since you said you offer 2 fruits.
Posted By: SugarGliderLove

Re: Foraging Ideas - 06/14/12 01:17 PM

I dont want to offer too many choices each night thats why i give them 2 fruits,mixed veggies and their bml
Posted By: PinkLady

Re: Foraging Ideas - 06/14/12 09:40 PM

I love all these ideas! I made some beaded foraging toys with hot pink plastic shot glasses, that they have to figure out how to climb up, hold on, and reach down into the plastic cup to get their snack. They really like these. This also sounds really simple, but the catch tray in the bottom of their cage is filled with a thin 1/2 inch layer of soft recycled newspaper bedding. I've sprinkled mealworms and corn/pea nibblets into it for them to root around and dig out, and it's SO cool watching all 4 work hard at tracking down every last worm/niblet. I have to try some of these awesome ideas on here, I like the straw one and the sword skewers. Plus the Chinese box!
Posted By: Helen88uk

Re: Foraging Ideas - 07/18/12 10:49 PM

Not even sure if you can *bump* posts on the forum but I've been looking for feeding ideas for a while now and these look fantastic! Maybe worth making them into a sticky thread, I'll definately be trying them this week!

So just incase it's allowed .... *bump*
If not, sorry!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL