GliderCENTRAL

They are all gone...

Posted By: Mel2mdl

They are all gone... - 08/05/07 12:46 AM

All 5 of them! cry I am on vacation - right now I am so upset and sad, I don't know what to do! cry

I left my babies with MzValorie - I know it is not her fault, but I am too mad to be sensible. She called to tell me that they all died today...all of them. She was cleaning the cage and had them in a pouch. I don't know how long or what happened. I am too angry to talk right now - I know she feels awful, but I am really upset. They would have been safer with my mom. At least they were happy in their last week. But I didn't even get to say goodbye!

Karl - my sweetest boy, who came when I called and let me show him off. My first baby.

Lennie - shy, but active. Always hiding in the hoodies and crabbing when you tried to take him to his cage.

Jynxie - my smallest girl and first girl. A real barker who loved my husband.

Chamille and Kee - who would have been better off with their origanal parents in a too small cage. Just learning to be gliders.

All gone now. What do I do? It really hurts...and I am so far away. I was in the process of adopting a glider from MelindaKay when we got home. Should I still get her? Then I would have to get another one - a colony of two, not six like I thought. cry cry I just can't even think about it now.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 12:53 AM

Oh I'm soo sorry for your loss. I feel that words are not even acceptable.
I'll pray for you.
My opinion.... there are sooo many gliders that could use a kind loving home.
Posted By: morksmom

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 12:57 AM

Hugs, I am so sorry.

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 12:58 AM

I am SO sorry! hug2 What happened?!
Posted By: Xglider

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 12:59 AM

I am so sorry .. hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 01:00 AM

OMG....I am so very sorry. I don't even know what to say. I know I would be crushed.

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 01:02 AM

we are so so sorry

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 01:03 AM

Oh, Mel. How awful. I cant even imagine how you are feeling right now. I am so sorry.

Im certain MzValorie is feeling very badly, too. What a horrible thing to happen while you are watching someones babies.

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 01:09 AM

Oh Molly!! I am soooooo sorry for your loss. Oh, how heart breaking!!! Please don't be mad......I understand your heart is broken, but I know MsValorie would care for them as well as she does her own. I know it. She spoils her babies rotten and oh, please imagine what she must be going through as well!!

Honestly, if I were watching someone else's gliders and that happened I would be CRUSHED. You just don't know how badly it would affect me.....

Oh, I'm just praying for you BOTH to find peace with what has happened and to somehow move on from here!!
Posted By: SweetGliders

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 01:11 AM

Oh Sweetie, I am so sorry for your loss. hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2
sending lots of hugs your way. I know MzValorie is hurting too. Sending forgiveness & Peace prayers to the both of you.

Anita heart
Posted By: dranger1108

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 01:13 AM

frown
sorry for your loss... upset

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 01:28 AM

I know Valorie feels awful and I know it is not her fault. She was crying when she called. I really don't blame her at all. But I am hurting/sad/upset...

Thank you for your thoughts - sharing with friends makes it better a bit!

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 01:41 AM

hug2 hug2 I am so sorry for your loss - as far as getting the new baby - I would say yes - maybe she will help your heart heal and it seems like you have so much love to give -

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 01:57 AM

cry I'm so sorry!!
Posted By: MelindaKay

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 02:24 AM

hug2 OMG - what happened? I am sooo sorry!

Take your time deciding on my little girl!! I would like to offer you a sweet little boy to go with her if you want him if you are concerned about her being alone. We can discuss it when you get back!!
Posted By: tbull

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 02:25 AM

Sweetie I am so sorry. I just answered your pm. sending hugs hug2 hug2 hug2

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 02:53 AM

Thank you all so much for the care and thoughts. I cannot say how much it helps me deal with this. I am going to call Valorie in the morning. I know she takes such good care of her babies - I am sure it was a total accident and that she is suffering too.

Again - thank you for all the care and love you have shared.
Posted By: glidergrl1513

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 03:08 AM

hug2 Molly I'm so sorry this happened!! I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through, but I can offer my hugs and prayers hug2 hug2 hug2 gangel

Valorie..many hug2 's for you as well! It's not your fault at all, I just hope you aren't beating yourself up over it.
Posted By: StitchsMom

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 04:06 AM

Oh no! cry I'm so sorry! hug2 hug2

I can't even imagine what you're going through. I lost three of my babies in the past year and thought that was difficult...I can't even fathom all five going at once! hug2

I have no words that could comfort you...I'm so sorry for your loss. If you need anything, if I can help, please don't hesitate to ask.

The members of this forum helped me through my tragedy. They are wonderful when dealing with broken hearts. heart

Again, I'm so very sorry!!

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 04:54 AM

I am so sorry... I am at a loss for words, but know that I have been where you are, and I am pulling for you. I know you are hurting. If there is anything I can do to help you in ANY way, let me know. I am sure you have always been good to your babies and I hope you won't blame yourself. please call me if you want to talk (205)441-8205, I know that we are not aquainted, but I have been where you are.
I lost 5 of my babies this year too.
I am so sorry sweetie cry cry hug2 cry cry
Posted By: Karin

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 06:07 AM

Oh my goodness, first sending you one big huge GC hug2 . I am so very sorry this happened to your babies. Saying I am sorry just isn't enough....I wish I knew what to do or say for you. hug2 hug2 hug2

Karin
Posted By: tootles

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 11:54 AM

I am so sorry for the both of you. I love Melindakay and her babies I am sure you would love them and it will help you through the grieving process. hug2

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 02:49 PM

I am crying as I read this.
I know nothing I can say will remove the pain that you both are feeling right now.
Many hug2 to both of you.

As horrible a tragedy this is I hope that we can all learn what happened to help keep this from happening again.
I know that there has been many thread started about heat and taking gliders out and that there are many opinions on what is safe.
We have had many gliders pass in accidents this year and it would be in vain if we all did not learn from it.

Please consider adopting in their memory you are an awsome mommy and there are lots of babies out there that could use your love.

Many more hug2 to you both.
Posted By: LSardou

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 03:01 PM

hug2 I wished that I could reach out and wipe the pain away. I am so so sorry. Everyone is in my thoughts and prayers and sending you all the light and love that I can. heart
Posted By: Jackie_Chans_Mom

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 03:02 PM

Oh Molly! I am so sad for you. There are no words..........

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 03:22 PM

Molly's husband writes;
Thank you everyone for your kind words as we deal with this loss. These things happen so fast with gliders. We need some time to let the greiving pass.

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 04:22 PM

Talked to Valorie this morning. Totally not her fault - I would have done the same thing.

Chamille and Kee had climbed into their favorite pouch - a small sissy pouch. The boys followed them and Jynxie went with them. They all curled up together to sleep. Since they were all together, Valorie decided to clean the cage. She kept the pouch with her and next to her the whole time. Not a sound or a struggle. When she finished and went to put them away, they had all passed... cry

To be honest - I am glad it happened with Valorie and not me. I would have probably done the same thing. I can be mad and upset with her easier than with me, even though I know it was not her fault. cry cry

Thank you again for all your support and prayers. It really helps in such a tragic time.
Posted By: BCChins

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 04:26 PM

hug2 Molly and Val so sorry this happened to both of you and the gliders.

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 04:33 PM

I'm so sorry that this tradgedy occured it is so hard to lose a love one whether it's expected or not let alone 5 loved ones. My prayers are with you right now.
Posted By: BlndGrl8

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 05:14 PM

Oh my gosh Molly! hug2 cry I am SO saddened to hear about all 5 of your babies!! I can't even imagine how you must be feeling right now, I know you are grieving. cry Molly I will pray for peace and comfort for you and your family at this time. I'm so so sorry you are going through this tragedy.

I wonder if it was the toxic fumes from the cleaner that got to them while they were sleeping in their small space and suffocated them?
Posted By: princessmegi

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 05:36 PM

Molly, I am so sorry to hear about your babies. I can't imagine losing one of my gliders, let alone all of them at the same time. Will you be having necropsies done to find out the exact cause of death? For all 5 of them to have passed, it would seem like a poison or toxic fumes like Kristin suggested.
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: They are all gone... - 08/05/07 06:10 PM

cry I'm so sorry Molly hug2 s and prayers to help heal your heart headed your way!
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: They are all gone... - 08/06/07 11:21 AM

Molly, I'm so very sorry cry Know that we are here for you in this tragic time hug2 hug2 hug2
Posted By: Xfilefan

Re: They are all gone... - 08/06/07 12:33 PM

Molly, I'm so sorry. cry hug2 I'd get the other little girl-she's not going to replace the ones that are gone, but she CAN start to repair the hole in your heart they left behind. hug2 hug2

Re: They are all gone... - 08/06/07 12:37 PM

Megi...depending on the pouch, 'toxic fumes' could be accurate-from their own breathing. If there was no window in the pouch, or it was covered, and multiple gliders, they could have suffocated in their sleep from a build up of carbon dioxide in the bloodstream. frown This isn't the first time this has happened, and I'm starting to think windowless pouches are a dangerous hazard. I'm not certain that was the cause, but this has happened a few times now, and it looks like it might be.

Re: They are all gone... - 08/06/07 02:19 PM

Molly, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's tough to loose one, I can't imagine loosing 5 at once... My heart goes out to you.

Jen, I think you are correct that they suffocate. That's one of the reasons I'm partial to windows and drawstring pouches... Maybe we should start a new post on pouch safety.
Posted By: MizValorie

Re: They are all gone... - 08/06/07 02:44 PM

They were in a windowless sissy pouch, fleece inside, cotton on the outside.

They were not with me while I was doing the actual cleaning. What I did was I sprayed everything down (they were being held by my BF at this time) wait 10-20 mins (in which I checked on them...everything fine) I went to power wash everything down (while my BF was holding them again) I then came back inside put the babies on me and fed them yogies and mealworms, everyone was still doing fine. This was at 4.

I sat on my bed with my bf, Michelle's two babies and my Nash, watched some tv and dozed a bit.

At around 5, started to check on them, and they had passed. No movement, no sound had been made, which is why I believe they passed in their sleep, with no pain.

As soon as I had stopped screaming and crying and was able to talk I called Molly several times (her cell phone coverage was spotty) I was finally able to get through, at which time I told her. As devasted as she was by this news she could hardly talk (I was crying too.) All this time I had been holding all 5 petting them and telling them how sorry I was and how much I loved each and everyone of them.

At around 6:30, I wrapped them in several layers of fleece and burried them under a big beautiful pecan tree.
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: They are all gone... - 08/06/07 02:59 PM

All my bonding pouches have windows. I am assuming the pouch was zippered closed? This is such a devastating thing to happen.
Posted By: Usha77

Re: They are all gone... - 08/06/07 03:18 PM

hug2 hug2 hug2 I am so sorry for your loss, Molly. hug2

Valorie, I am so sorry that happened to you. hug2

I just don't know what else to say, except many hug2 and prayers for everyone involved. hug2

Re: They are all gone... - 08/06/07 05:48 PM

I am so sorry!!! :o( How awful; I know you are heartbroken
Posted By: StitchsMom

Re: They are all gone... - 08/06/07 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: MizValorie
watched some tv and dozed a bit.

I've read about several glider being smothered to death by napping owners. This really should be avoided at all costs especially when you have multiple gliders together in a zipped up pouch with no windows. It's asking for trouble.

Re: They are all gone... - 08/06/07 07:48 PM

I was sitting up...There was no way for them to get smothered by me.

Re: They are all gone... - 08/06/07 07:48 PM

This has happened a number of times now, even though they were not physically on anyone...just in the pouch. I, for one, can sleep on my hands in a sitting position if I have to (comes from having an SM) and not hurt the glider-but all of my pouches have windows-I insist on it. Usually when a tragedy happens when sleeping, the glider is loose, and gets UNDER the owner. I don't think that's the case here. I really think they died of carbon dioxide poisoning. I don't know if a necropsy would confirm that, and probably isn't possible at this point, but from prior stories and this one, I think that's what happened. It wasn't the caretaker's fault other than not knowing of the possibility, and IMO, that's not a crime unless it's repeated.

Re: They are all gone... - 08/06/07 07:52 PM

They are buried so I doubt a necropsy would be possible.

Believe me it wont happen again. I will insist on windows from now on, if I continue to use pouches, I'm not even sure I will.

I can't believe it happened. I just can't. I keep seeing all 5 of their beautiful faces in my mind, I was just learning their wonderful and unique personalities.

Re: They are all gone... - 08/06/07 08:02 PM

I rather figured they were hug2 and I didn't mean that directly to you. hug2 Guess I should have phrased that differently-I'm sure this was a horrifying experience. In the previous cases I know of, no one even mentioned the pouches as a possibility. I was just trying to say I don't think the fact you took a nap had anything to do with it at all. It would have been very, very difficult to lose all of them without a sound if you'd rolled over on them, especially in the time frame. hug2 hug2

Re: They are all gone... - 08/06/07 08:41 PM

Thank you Jen.
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: They are all gone... - 08/06/07 09:05 PM

Molly - I'm so sorry. Please take the time you need to grieve over this tragedy. I know that anger is one of the stages of grieving, so you will feel angry. You are right, better to be angry at Valorie - whom you know meant no harm, and whom you can forgive - then at yourself, whom you would never forgive.

I'm glad you didn't have to see them, Molly.

Valorie - I know, as I said, that Molly will have to go through the anger stage of her grief. I trust that your friendship will survive this... and I'm so sorry that this happened. I've heard you completely spoil your babies, and I'm sure you had every intention of doing the same with Molly's.
Posted By: Carrie T

Re: They are all gone... - 08/06/07 09:18 PM

Molly and Valorie, I'm so sorry for the both of you. heart hug2 hug2 heart

Re: They are all gone... - 08/07/07 01:36 AM

cry Oh this is so sad. OMG I hope your okay sweetie I'm so sorry. I have not read the other post yet so sorry if I repeat... I would go ahead and take the other glider and get a cage mate for him/her. Maybe it will help you get through this tough time sweetie. Oh my goodness I would be so mad too I'm sure your head is going in 90 different directions. I'm so sorry sweetie I can't believe this happened to you. hug2 hug2 hug2 I hope you will be okay.

Re: They are all gone... - 08/07/07 05:15 AM

I tried to post earlier, but had problems. Valorie - thank you so much for posting. It is nice to know that they had mealies and treats. And thank you for burying them. I think that the same thing would have happened with me...I wouldn't have known. I do not think that this was Valorie's fault at all!

Today, I was in S. Dakota near Sturgis with the bike rally. I had my camera with pictures of my babies. I picked my favorite one of Karl and got it put onto my shoulder. I will never forget my babies...or Karl's sweet face as he would look up every time he heard a noise to see if he needed to take care of something.

In regards to pouches, from what Valorie has said, the girls went into their favorite pouch & the boys followed. It was a small, 'my-size' sissy. Too small for all 5 (possibly too small for the 2 girls as Chamille was 175 grams.) I really don't think the pouch was at fault, just too many gliders. But, I won't use that one again...

Re: They are all gone... - 08/07/07 01:53 PM

Unfortanuately tragedies occur and as we can try as hard as possible to prevent them but when they happen we always seem to say "I should of..." or " I could of..." but you did all you could do. The best thing to do is move on from this loss and take the thought that this tragedy can happen to the best of glider owners. hug2

Re: They are all gone... - 08/07/07 03:58 PM

Molly, I know you don't blame me, and that just shows what an amazing person you are.

I am deeply sorry, I loved them so much already.

I am glad that you are now able to carry them around with you for forever.

Thank you all for the kind words and support. It has helped so much.
Posted By: morksmom

Re: They are all gone... - 08/07/07 04:28 PM

I have never liked pouches with windows BUT I will from now on order them. I am truly sorry for BOTH parties.Hugs...

Re: They are all gone... - 08/08/07 04:07 PM

Im sorry to hear such tragedy. But hey, lets not keep us from loving other suggies who needs our love. Lets learn from it and face the new day with a smile, just like suggies too(though they do it at night)...
Posted By: Lucky_Glider

Re: They are all gone... - 08/10/07 03:49 AM

Dear Molly, I broke down and sobbed when I heard about this last week but I can't imagine how hard it has been for you.

It was of course big-hearted of you to share this awful tragedy with everyone and I can only hope that the warnings about pouches, etc. will be a helpful legacy to others so your poor babies will live on in the lives of gliders who will now not necessarily meet the same fate owing to this information. I know this is a small consolation, but I can tell you this has changed our outlook on pouches.

Thank you for being so brave and selfless as to reach out and explain what happened to us.

You are in our prayers.

Ed & Gail

Re: They are all gone... - 08/10/07 04:33 AM

Oh Dear! frown I am so sorry for your loss. Sending a bunch of hug2 Yours and Valories way!
Posted By: Sheila

Re: They are all gone... - 08/10/07 10:13 AM

I am so sorry for your babies and I know your heart is breaking. I did want to add this. Recently when some gliders were shipped they were in bags and the heat was too much for them. When they get in the bags outside in the summer heat they lose oxygen in bags without windows. This is probably what happened since there were 5 in a small bag. It was obvious they were well cared for because she was washing their cage. I have kept gliders before and didn't go to the trouble. Accidents can happen to those that care the most.. The five were obviously in the best of hands. Sometimes freak things just happens. I remember the first time I went out of town I had a glider die. She had a seisure. It seems to happen when people leave town, but I know this doesn't make the pain go away. Please look forward not back at this point to your new baby girl from Melinda.
Posted By: TracieB

Re: They are all gone... - 08/11/07 01:31 AM

Molly & Valorie - I'm so sorry you're both having to go through this. I can't imagine how either of you are feeling - it's such a tragedy. Sending you both hug2 hug2 and prayers to get you through. At least you know they were all snuggled together and happy when they left you.
gangel gangel gangel gangel gangel
Posted By: GliderLove

Re: They are all gone... - 08/11/07 02:41 AM

cry hug2 Molly, I am so VERY SORRY for the loss of your babies! My heart goes out to you, I can not imagine the pain, and hurt you must be feeling. I too know that we are not aquainted, but please, please feel free to pm me anytime if you need anything. But what I have always seen you, and Valorie have always taken very good care of your babies, And Valorie, I'm sorry that you had experiebce this tragedy as well, I just don't know how I would react. hug2

My heart goes out to both of you, and Molly, I know your not "replacing" your gliders, but I think it would be good to get another pair as well. It's funny how giving can help heal a broken heart. heart

This should really be stressed on pouch safety, I really believe that people especially newbies should now the danger of overcrowding pouches, and diffrent breathable materials. I would almost call this a case of "sugar glider SIDS"

It was a mistake, and as horrible as it sounds you never learn if there is never any mistakes. I'm sending many hugs and prayers both of your ways! hug2 hug2 hug2

Re: They are all gone... - 08/11/07 03:49 PM

So many people have offered to help me with this horrible situation! I am truly overwhelmed... I have been offered numerous gliders, which is so sweet, and now a safer pouch! Wow.

The best thing right now, if you want to help, would be to make a donation to SRR in Karl, Lennie, Jynxie, Chamille and Kee's names. I am not asking anyone to do this, but, if you would like to, I think it would be a suitable memorial for my babies - Karl and Lennie came from a mill breeder before I knew better, Jynxie came from Laci, Chamille and Kee were truly rescues.

Again, the thoughts, hugs and prayers that have been sent my way really help tremondously. I am truly blessed to have such a supportive community available to me. Thank you agian for all the kindness shown to me...
Posted By: queenduck

Re: They are all gone... - 08/15/07 03:42 PM

Molly, you and I have already talked and you know how horrible I feel about your loss. To me the loss is no greater because a sissy was used, but does make me feel somewhat responsible.

As I told you, I'll make a post tonight about safety and use but right now I am on my way out the door and the kids are going to drive off without me. But since I know a lot of people are following this post, I thought I'd add some there just in case it prevents an accident today.
So in the meantime, everyone needs to remember when putting your glider in an enclosed space (as in any zipper pouch with no windows) make sure they have room. Any bonding pouches, not just the sissy.

I have said with my pouches,

my size 1 glider/small pair, or joeys.

Single size sissy pouch set. Best for 1 to 3 glider or a pair and joeys, can hold up to 4 depending on size.

Double size- Best for 2 to 8 gliders, colony, family size.

Matchmaker- Best for introducing gliders or pairs of gliders, but if it was me, unless they were small pairs, I'd say one on each side.

But everything needs to be based on the size of your gliders, windows depending on the weather, and gliders should never be zipped up unless you can watch them. Window or no window, but esp. in a window pouch.

Again, Molly, my thoughts are with you, like I said, I just returned home from vacation to find all my gliders find (I had a glider sitter) but I can see how easy it could have been me. We all need to learn from the terrible accident.

Re: They are all gone... - 08/15/07 03:58 PM

Alicia, I am so sorry you feel responsible, it is NOT your fault.

I only mention the fact that it is a sissy, so that people know it wasn't a badly made pouch or something.

Me and Molly talked about it and it wasn't a my size but neither was it a double, but they still had room.

I think the biggest issue was there was no way to circulate air and with 5, the air just went FAST.

This was a horrible accident and I hope someone LEARNS something from it. Thank you for posting that info Alicia.

Re: They are all gone... - 08/16/07 02:58 AM

It was just a horrible accident - not the fault of the pouch, or Valorie - just an accident. cry

Thank you for posting Alicia. I want to state, again, publically, that I still think the sissy pouches are the best on the market. My gliders loved theirs and they are comfortable to wear. I will be buying more as my finances allow, albeit, only the ones with windows. Windows are now a standard on all my carrying pouches!
Posted By: queenduck

Re: They are all gone... - 08/16/07 03:33 AM

I don't take any offence by the Sissy being mentioned, I think that is the way it should be, that's what it was, so it should be stated.

I do feel for the both of you, and Molly I already told you I'd send you Sissy's with windows smile It's the least I can do.
Posted By: GliderGuy93

Re: They are all gone... - 08/27/07 02:51 AM

Oh my goodness. I am so sorry for your loss of your little gliders. Sounds like you gave them a wanderful home.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL