GliderCENTRAL

rejecting babies again!! Help

Posted By: Anonymous

rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 04:22 AM

Dobber's babies are oop tonight, and I don't think they were due for another 2 or 3 weeks. they are still a little pink with dark stripes. I have the stuff to make the supplement with, but no syringes or anything!!! They were crying,and mom and dad both ignored them for a while. then mom got in the pouch with them, but she crabbed and hissed the whole time they were trying to nurse. they are bml, so it shouldn't be a milk issue. She did this last time!!!

Right now I have them wrapped in fleece and stuck between my boobs. They seem to have warmed up and aren't crying for parents. What now!!!!

I just took them back to the cage, and they crawled all over dad, trying to nurse. He went back into the pouch with them, but momma never did. I wonder if they'll make it through the night until I can get to the vet to get some syringes? I pack them into my bra tomorrow and keep them with me at work I think.
Posted By: LSardou

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 04:28 AM

Can you try and get them back into the pouch? If not, do you have a small medicine dropper that you can start supplementing them with?

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 04:29 AM

I don't have anything! I can't believe I'm so unprepared! I might have a medicine dropper out of baby tylenol or something. I'll go check

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 04:31 AM

How to Feed the Joey
To prevent aspiration into the lungs, it is important to follow these steps:
• wrap the joey in a warm cloth, like a burrito (just must be warm or it will not eat)
• hold the joey so the head is towards the ceiling and the tail is towards the floor (parallel with the wall)
• only apply formula to the tip of the joey's lips, never open the mouth to place formula inside the mouth
• place one drop of formula on the joey's lips at a time, wait for the joey to lap* it up, then place another drop on the lips
* Most rejected joeys do not know how to lap to get their food, they are used to suckling. You may need to put a drop of formula on the joey's lips, then gently rub the tip of the joey's nose with your fingertip until the joey licks. You may need to repeat this process a few times until the joey gets the idea.

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 04:32 AM

I have a large medicine dropper, would that work if I'm really careful?

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 04:33 AM

If I can feed them tonight, would they be okay with mom and dad until tomorrow when I can make an incubatory?

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 04:34 AM

That should be ok. Just follow the feeding instructions that I posted a few minutes ago.

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 04:35 AM

Originally Posted By: bingos_mom
If I can feed them tonight, would they be okay with mom and dad until tomorrow when I can make an incubatory?

NO, if they are not going to have anything to do with them tonight, chances are they will be left alone tomorrow. It's just way to risky.

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 04:48 AM

i dont know how i'll keep them warm unless i sleep with them in a zipper pouch. afraid i would squash though. one just ate a few drops of food. is that good?

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 04:51 AM

The other one won't eat, seems like it just wants to sleep. I tried the tent test and he didn't seem dehydrated. Should I just leave him be for now?

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 04:51 AM

Here is a link to SugarGliderSuz web site on Hand Raising a Joey....
Hand Raising a Joey

Quick Help Guide for Rejected Joeys
If you see any symptoms of Joey Rejection, you need to immediately pull the joey from its parents and start Hand Raising. For complete, specific information, please go to my page about Hand Raising A Joey; however, for quick, how-to-start information, this page will get you going...
Signs of rejection include, but are not limited to:
• Joey found left alone in nest by both parents for more than 10-15 minutes at a time
• Joey crying a lot with neither parent responding to the joey's cries
• Joey trying to crawl out of the nesting area (before 4-5 weeks out of pouch)
• Joey found alone and cold outside of the nesting area
• Joey found alone in a different nesting area from where parents are located
• Joey found on cage bottom
• Joey found dehydrated
• Joey found with bite and/or scratch marks anywhere on body or face
• Mother repeatedly pushing the joey away when attempting to nurse
• Joey being repeatedly hissed and/or crabbed at by the mother when trying to nurse
Checking for Dehydration
The first thing you need to do is to find out if the joey is dehydrated at all. To check for dehydration, simply gently pull up the skin above the shoulder blades. If the skin stays "tented" up for longer than a few seconds, then the joey is dehydrated. The longer it stays tented, the more severe the dehydration. If severely dehydrated, immediately bring the joey to a vet for immediate sub-q (sub-cutaneous) injection. If only slightly dehydrated immediately start giving the joey Pedialyte (apple or unflavored) every hour for next 6 hours or until rehydrated. If not rehydrated within that time, then vet care will be needed.
How to Feed the Joey
To prevent aspiration into the lungs, it is important to follow these steps:
• wrap the joey in a warm cloth, like a burrito (just must be warm or it will not eat)
• hold the joey so the head is towards the ceiling and the tail is towards the floor (parallel with the wall)
• only apply formula to the tip of the joey's lips, never open the mouth to place formula inside the mouth
• place one drop of formula on the joey's lips at a time, wait for the joey to lap* it up, then place another drop on the lips
* Most rejected joeys do not know how to lap to get their food, they are used to suckling. You may need to put a drop of formula on the joey's lips, then gently rub the tip of the joey's nose with your fingertip until the joey licks. You may need to repeat this process a few times until the joey gets the idea.
What Do You Need for Feeding the Joey?
If the joey is under two weeks out of pouch (oop), you will need to make my Joey Formula. You will need the following ingredients:
• Brisky's Booster Milk -OR- Wombaroo Possum Milk Replacer -OR- Puppy* Formula (preferably Esbilac, if available)
• Gliderade -OR- Lorikeet Nectar (you can skip this ingredient if you don't have it available)
• Pedialyte or Liquilyte (apple or unflavored)
• Baby Cereal (any variety)
Mix these ingredients together according to my Joey Formula Recipe.
To administer the formula, you will need:
o A needleless syringe (0.5 or 1.0 cc's)
o PLUS a #5FR Feeding Catheter (if available)
o -OR- A small Pet-Ag Kitten feeding bottle with nipple
* Do NOT use Kitten Formula, it is too high in lactose and young joeys are lactose intolerant. Bloating and other issues can be caused by high-lactose products.
If the joey is older than two weeks oop, you can use Joey BML (no wheat germ) to feed it. I recommend gradually weaning them onto it over the course of 4 days to avoid bloating:
• Day 1: 25% Baby BML, 75% Pedialyte
• Day 2: 50% Baby BML, 50% Pedialyte
• Day 3: 75% Baby BML, 25% Pedialyte
• Day 4: 100% Baby BML

Feeding Reference Guide
Age of Joey: Amount to Feed: Frequency:
Newly oop ~ 2 weeks oop 0.3 - 0.5 cc's Every 1 - 2 hours
2 weeks oop ~ 4 weeks oop 0.5 - 1.0 cc's Every 2 - 3 hours
4 weeks oop ~ 6 weeks oop 1.0 - 2.0 cc's Every 3 - 4 hours
6 weeks oop ~ 8 weeks oop 2.0 - 4.0 cc's **
**note that at this age, the joey should be able to start eating from a bowl and should already be started on the weaning process. For more information about this, please go to This Information.
Stimulating the Joey
You may need to stimulate joey to go potty:
• Gently rub the joey's cloaca with a moist q-tip for 10-15 seconds.
• Joey's urine will be clear so may not be noticeable unless it urinates a LOT.
• Joey may not defecate for the first 24 hours after being switched to formula - this is normal and not of concern. However, much longer than that may indicate a blockage, in which case veterinary care would be needed.
• Feces will be bright orange/yellow in color and will be soft and unformed. This is normal; however, if watery at all, then immediate vet care is needed.

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 04:55 AM

I"ll make the incubator tomorrow. What can I do in the meantime?

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 04:56 AM

Here are instructions on how to make an incubator. Again, if mom or dad do not accept the joeys, they can not be left unattended. It's vital that they are kept warm and are given supplement feeding as the schedule states.
How to make an Incubator

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 04:57 AM

Also, if you don't have the supplies get to a 24 hour store and get them. The incubator is very simple to make using Suz's directions. As far as feeding you need to do it frequently. If a few drops at a time is all you can get them to eat then that's better than nothing but keep tryng. Do NOT trust the parents to keep them few or warm. It sounds like it is all up to you this time. Our prayers are with you. There is ALOT of info on Suz's site but please ask questions if you need too....we're here!

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 04:58 AM

The other one won't eat, seems like it just wants to sleep. I tried the tent test and he didn't seem dehydrated. Should I just leave him be for now?

No, he still needs to eat, otherwise he can dehydrate quickly. Try and stimulate him to get him alert. Is he breathing ok?

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 05:01 AM

I"ll make the incubator tomorrow. What can I do in the meantime?

What I did for one night only was keep them in a pouch with an extra piece of fleece wrapped around it and kept them cupped in my hands. Yes, even was able to nap a bit but not much due to many feedings through out the night. It is not the best solution...and the incubator is so easy. you may even have the supplies at home already.

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 05:01 AM

does that use like a glass aquarium?

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 05:05 AM

they are breathing fine. I am off to walmart to see what I can find. mom and dad are now curled up in the pouch, with out the babies. I don't know why they are doing this, especially this second time around.

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 05:05 AM

How to Make the Incubator

There are two types of incubators that you can easily make for your joey, a simple tank-style incubator or a simple bucket-style incubator. Whichever style you choose, you should assemble it in advance of needing it so that you can start to use it immediately when necessary. Either style works quite well. It is simply a matter of personal preference as to which style you choose.

1) For the tank-style incubator, attach the small Heat Wave Reptile Heat Pad (follow instructions included in its package) to the bottom, underside (outside) of the aquarium at one end. This will keep the incubator between 85 & 90 degrees Fahrenheit.

For the bucket-style incubator, drill about 2 dozen holes into the lid of the Rubbermaid storage container -or- use a 6"x8" Critter Keeper with lid. Then, lay the two large, thick bath towels flat together, place the human heating pad in the center of them, then fold both ends of the towel in over top of the heating pad so that there are two layers of towel underneath the heating pad and four layers on top of it. Place the Rubbermaid container on top of the layered toweling.

2) Place the thermometer on the inside, bottom of the aquarium at the end with the heat pad or at the inside, bottom center of the bucket-stype incubator. This will enable you to monitor the temperature of the bottom of the incubator to ensure that it does not get over 95 degrees Fahrenheit.

3) Using the misting spray bottle, spray one washcloth with water, then lay it on the bottom of the tank at the end where the heating pad is located. This will keep the incubator humid so your joey does not get dry, flaky skin. The washcloth will need to be freshly sprayed with water every 6-8 hours.

4) Lay two or three large fleece blankets along the bottom of the tank over the top of the damp washcloth. This will insulate your joey from getting burned by the heater.

5) Place the small stuffed animal in one corner of the incubator for snuggly warmth and companionship for your joey.

6) Place a small fleece blanket into each of remaining three corners of incubator.

When the incubator is needed:

1) Plug in the heating pad. For the bucket-style incubator, set the heating pad on "low" (note that if the heating pad has an "automatic shut-off" feature, you will need to turn it back on every 2 hours while the joey is inside the incubator).

2) Place the joey inside the incubator, wrapped in a small fleece blanket or in a joey pouch, towards the center of the tank.

3) Cover the tank with the lid.

4) You may need to lay a handtowel over the top of the lid to prevent drafts from getting into the incubator.
Posted By: glidergrl1513

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 05:07 AM

It looks like Linda and Kat have got you covered. hug2

Since this is the second time this has happened, you need to get Bingo neutered. They do not want to be parents and it would be cruel to continue to allow this. Obviously this is something to worry about once you get the joey situation under control, but you need to remember this.

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 05:10 AM

Sending you lots of hugs and prayers. hug2

Moving this to Breeding & Babies.

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 05:12 AM

*TAG* Linda! You're it!

Bingo's Mom....you can get a rubbermaid shoe box to use....it works great and is inexpensive, A regular heating pad will work just fine.....just use it following Suz's directions. Not to be used IN the incubator but on the outside and under several layers of towels. Don't want to over heat the joey's.

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 05:25 AM

Wow. You all are helping her out so amazingly well. Sending prayers yours and your babies way! hug2

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 05:49 AM

thanks guys! I had already decided after the first litter that if it happened again he would be fixed. making the appt tomorrow. i have the incubator set up, time to get some sleep!

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 05:56 AM

making sure I did this right. All I could find at our Walmart was one of the plastic critter keepers like you'd bring a hermit crab home in, about 6*9. The heating pad I have is huge, I set the critterkeep on it and will wrap around the sides. I put 2 hand towels in the keeper, one of them misted with water, then I put the babies in a small pouch in the middle of it all and covered the top with another towell. Think this will be okay?

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 06:09 AM

That will work for tonight. It's best to use fleece in the inside in place of the towels. Basically, heating pad with about 4 layers of towel, incubator on top of towels, thermometer on bottom of incubator, fleece dampened, dry fleece for joeys to snuggle in and place a small safe animal for them to cuddle with for the extra lovin feelin'. Also, it s best to make sure the fleece stays damp. Oh and don't forget to make several air holes on the top of the incubator.

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 06:20 AM

this one has vents along the top. I'll have to cut fleece in the mornining for them. Now they're fed, and I have to get in bed and figure how I'm going to care for them tomorrow. Would they be okay wrapped in fleece and tucked in my bra? I work in an office all day, A/C controlled. Will update in the morning!
Posted By: desertmommy

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 06:26 AM

Don't forget, these wee ones will need to be fed every 1-2 hours around the clock.

Wishing you the best!

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 06:46 AM

It would be best to take the incubator to work with you and keep it close by if possible. At least somewhere safe where you are able to check on them ever hour at minimum for feedings.

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 08:01 AM

If this is the second time this pair has rejected their joeys you shouldn't allow them to breed again. It isn't fair to the babies or them. They don't want to be parents.

Please get dad fixed or separate the pair.

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 10:51 AM

thanks guys! I had already decided after the first litter that if it happened again he would be fixed. making the appt tomorrow. i have the incubator set up, time to get some sleep!

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 12:51 PM

I hope the little ones are doing ok...and that you are too smile I've read on here that sleep deprivation goes hand and hand with hand feeding these little ones! Make sure you are taking care of YOU also ok??

Can one of you kids, a friend, someone else help you out...even if its for an hour so you can take a nap?

Please keep us posted on how they are doing!!

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 06:00 PM

So glad you've decided to get him neutered. I don't think I'd want to breed a pair that had rejected joeys, even if it was my leucistic and cinni pair, I'd still have the leu neutered. Best wishes for these babies... keep us updated!

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 09:08 PM

Update The babies made it through the night and day. One is eating better than the other one. That one poo'ed today, so so far so good! I'll update more later!

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/08/08 09:11 PM

clap I've been waiting her hear all day!!! What kind of trouble are you having with the one?

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/09/08 01:05 AM

The one was just eating two or three drops at a time. I just fed with the catheter, and she didn't seem to have much of an appetite, but she did it eat more. They have both pottied again, this time the one with little appetite poo'd as well, but hers was green, almost like baby peas (food). Is this normal? I am guessing I'll just have to feed her more often than the boy?
Posted By: Kiiru

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/09/08 01:20 AM

Glad to hear the babies are doing well and that you'll be getting him neutered. laugh I can only imagine how much it's stressing the parents out to keep losing kids or to not want them. Guess they just aren't ready! :S

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/09/08 05:50 PM

Has anyone heard anything on these little ones?

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/10/08 09:23 PM

Sorry it took so long to update. I lost the little boy on Saturday. I fed them both and 2 hrs later, when I got them up to feed again, he was gone. The girl is still eating well. One thing new, she's pooping on her own. When I feed her, she poops a little on me. I am able to stimulate more after she eats. Is this okay? I am taking mom and dad to the vet tomorrow and she said she'd take a look at the little one too. Wish us luck.

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/10/08 10:56 PM

I'm sorry to hear about the little boy. Godspeed sweet little one.... gangel
As long as she doesn't have constant diarrhea, and it's just a small amount I wouldn't worry. I'm happy to hear how well she's doing and that all of them will be getting checked out next week.
Your doing a wonderful job!!!! Many hugs and prayers.

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/12/08 01:23 PM

Unfortunately I lost my little girl yesterday. I took her and mom and dad to the vet. The baby was a little dehydrated, but seemed very lively and looked good otherwise. She died in my hands an hour later. Thanks for all your help and support guys!

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/12/08 01:50 PM

cry I am so so sorry! Many prayers and blessings being sent your way. hug2 Those two little ones will forever shine in your heart and you in theirs.
God speed sweet little ones gangel
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/12/08 01:51 PM

I am so very sorry for you loss.
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/12/08 02:12 PM

Oh no! I'm so very sorry cry

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/12/08 11:46 PM

Oh Rhonda, I'm so sorry. hug2

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/14/08 01:59 AM

Thank you guys. Julie, your little girls are such sweet little babies! They're still a little skittish being picked up, but once they are, they just want to snuggle. My girls love them!

Re: rejecting babies again!! Help - 08/14/08 02:05 AM

Awwww. I'm glad that they're doing well with you guys. I still miss them! Give them both kisses for me.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL