GliderCENTRAL

When in doubt....

Posted By: cyndiekb

When in doubt.... - 02/03/10 11:54 PM

get a second and 3 rd opinion!

I picked up meds for a glider and the vet said to give her 1/2 a cc of one of the meds. I knew this was wrong and told him so. He insisted it was right and IF I felt more comfortable I could give 1/4 th cc instead. I called a friend who put in a vet call and then called 2 others for input. My glider is now getting .02 cc of this med. OMG I am so glad I have friends in the community who know when I am in panic mode and they are quick to get me the help and answers I need.

This vet does not see gliders only cats, dogs and cattle. I told him who it was for and how much she weighs. This is a last ditch effort to treat a glider my other vets says nothing is wrong with. I know there is something tho. I now have a white glider that is oily and yellow, eats a lot but seems to fail to thrive. I know my gliders and this one is sick. Blood was taken, stools were run and nothing showed up so I am shot gunning treatment. Please pray for my glider she looks like death warmed over and If this does not help I fear I will lose her.
Posted By: vagraphix

Re: When in doubt.... - 02/03/10 11:56 PM

awww wishing her and you well. Hopefull the meds will do the trick. I know it's kind of out there but have you added any cannola oil to her diet. I know it helps joeys.
Posted By: Karin

Re: When in doubt.... - 02/04/10 05:43 AM

hug2
Posted By: LSardou

Re: When in doubt.... - 02/04/10 06:14 AM

Sending lots of prayers for your little one Cyndie. hug2
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: When in doubt.... - 02/04/10 06:22 AM

Will any of your vets do phone consults with the experienced glider vets? I'm so sorry! I know how worried you must be! Thank goodness you stuck to your guns and did not give her the wrong dose!
Posted By: the gliders angel

Re: When in doubt.... - 02/04/10 08:37 AM

i would run a fecal culture and sensitivity not just a fecal test. the yellow is from marking by another glider.
Posted By: Gizmogirl

Re: When in doubt.... - 02/04/10 01:17 PM

My heart goes out to you, thinking of you guys and sending lots of prayers. hug2
Posted By: Srlb

Re: When in doubt.... - 02/04/10 01:24 PM

hug2
Posted By: SariYappa

Re: When in doubt.... - 02/04/10 01:39 PM

Ughh! I hate to hear stories like this, but I like to hear the happy ending (about the meds)...

Good luck little one, we hope you make it through your journey safely! heart

Re: When in doubt.... - 02/04/10 05:05 PM

For the record I have 5 vets. only one does not treat my gliders. 3 are over an hour away (one of whom did blood work and fecals 2 weeks ago and is the one I would have seen but he is closed wed after 12) I just walked in to my large animal vets office and told him what I wanted. He never saw the glider she was at home. SO he gave me what I asked for (for the most part). I had asked for flagyl but he said at this time it is only treating 70% of giardia(sp) cases so he gave me something I have never used. This was the med I knew the amount was wrong on. I talked to someone here on GC that has used the med before and got the other vet to confirm dose for my girl. I did sub q her yesterday and today when I went to give her morning med #2 she was nice and warm and her face looks better. I find doing the sub q mid day doesn't interfere with her eating at night but if I sub q late she wont eat well. Crazy kids.... and "09" years vet bills total over 4 grand just for the gliders. So don't think I am not trying. I really am and have no problem going to different vets.

Re: When in doubt.... - 02/04/10 07:01 PM

hug2 Cyndie!! hug2

I think we all know that you are doing EVERYTHING you possibly can for your gliders! heart
I'm thinking we'll see some stuff on critter bin soon, just to pay your '09 bills. Ughh! tounge

Re: When in doubt.... - 02/05/10 08:58 PM

Naaah that is what hubby is for he supports my bad habits (I don't drink or smoke i do gliders) smile. Although I cleaned my room and there is glider stuff in every nook and cranny. I also have to clean the glider cabinet out. Every time I open the door stuff falls on me.

Good news though. I gave Stormy her morning meds today and she looks better. She groomed herself. I am thrilled for that. Not sure if it is the sub q, anti biotic,or parasite med but something is working.

Re: When in doubt.... - 02/07/10 12:59 AM

clap Glad to hear she is doing better! clap

Re: When in doubt.... - 02/08/10 07:18 AM

That is great news! I am so happy to hear that she is doing better.

Re: When in doubt.... - 02/26/10 02:54 AM

Stormy had liver and gallbladder problems that were slowly killing her. She was helped to the bridge today.

2 gliders gone in a week not much I can say but god I am hurting and miss them.
Posted By: Cora

Re: When in doubt.... - 02/26/10 03:00 AM

Oh hun I am so sorry. Lighting a candle for Stormy! ((((HUGS))))

Re: When in doubt.... - 02/26/10 03:07 AM

I'm so sorry to hear. Know that we all are there for you... heart
Posted By: DirtyPaws

Re: When in doubt.... - 02/26/10 03:17 AM

Oh my gawd Cyndie. And I thought she was on the mend. I'm so sorry you're going through all of this.

Stay strong hug2
Posted By: LSardou

Re: When in doubt.... - 02/26/10 05:12 AM

hug2 I'm so sorry Cyndie, I will be keeping you in my prayers.

Godspeed precious baby, you will be deeply missed. :rbridge:
Posted By: tbull

Re: When in doubt.... - 02/26/10 05:18 AM

hug2 There are no words, but know our thoughts are with you. hug2
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: When in doubt.... - 02/26/10 05:47 AM

Cyndie, I am so very sorry for both of your losses. I know how broken your heart is. You did everything possible to save them. I hope in time, your memories comfort you.
Posted By: tammyangel

Re: When in doubt.... - 02/26/10 06:02 AM

Cyndie Im so sorry to hear about this .I know how much you have tried to do all you can for your babies. Huggs to you and prayers.
Posted By: Sherri

Re: When in doubt.... - 02/26/10 07:26 AM

I'm so sorry Cyndie! Many hugs and prayers for you!
Posted By: Jackie_Chans_Mom

Re: When in doubt.... - 02/26/10 01:28 PM

Oh Cyndie! I am just so very sorry. I wish I had words to make the hurt go away, but I know I do not. I'm so, so sorry. frown
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: When in doubt.... - 02/26/10 02:42 PM

So sorry for your loss.
Posted By: cjkeenon

Re: When in doubt.... - 02/26/10 02:50 PM

I am so very, very sorry for you loss. Please know that you are in my heart and prayers. hug2 You did everything that you could for your babies. They have a great Mom and they love you for making their lives more enjoyable during their sick time. gangel Memories (and pics) are what we have of our babies. Always loved and never forgotten. My heart goes out to you. heart
Posted By: hwh4ev

Re: When in doubt.... - 02/26/10 03:02 PM

this is such a sad ending. sorry for your loss.

regards,
nancy in detroit
Posted By: Srlb

Re: When in doubt.... - 02/26/10 03:26 PM

So sorry for your loss KB. hug2

God Speed Stormy.
Posted By: Feather

Re: When in doubt.... - 02/26/10 04:30 PM

I am sorry for your loss, may you find comfort in your memories of her.

Glide free little one :rbridge:
Posted By: ozzi

Re: When in doubt.... - 02/27/10 02:58 PM

upset I am so very sorry for your losses Cyndie upset
Just too heartbreaking....

Re: When in doubt.... - 02/27/10 05:18 PM

I am so sorry for your losses, thinking of you.

Stormy had cancer - 03/12/10 03:46 PM

results of the histopath show cancer in both the liver and gallbladder.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Stormy had cancer - 03/12/10 04:02 PM

I'm so very sorry.

Posted By: Karin

Re: Stormy had cancer - 03/12/10 10:38 PM

frown
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Stormy had cancer - 03/13/10 12:29 AM

Cindy, I am so sorry. Wish I was there to hug you.

GODSPEED beautiful Stormy :rbridge: .
Posted By: mommawannabe

Re: Stormy had cancer - 03/13/10 12:39 AM

Oh Cyndie, I am sooooo very sorry. Glide free little ones.

Anna
Posted By: Lynsie

Re: Stormy had cancer - 03/13/10 01:12 AM

I'm sorry Cyn *hugs*
Posted By: SweetGliders

Re: Stormy had cancer - 03/13/10 01:54 AM

Sorry Cyndie to hear of your loss. Sending you hug2 hug2 hug2
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL