GliderCENTRAL

How old?

Posted By: Anonymous

How old? - 09/30/08 11:14 PM

Does my baby look to those of you used to looking at babies? I figured between 3-4 weeks oop but I am not sure. Please help me.

Attached picture tent time.jpg
Attached picture leia and tink.jpg
Posted By: dranger1108

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 12:01 AM

wow ... she looks very young! Did you buy her?

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 12:03 AM

Yes I bought her from PPP a week and a half ago. I am just concerned that she still won't make it.
Posted By: dranger1108

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 12:04 AM

are you supplementing her - hand feeding her? Poor baby...

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 12:08 AM

Yes I am hand feeding her the joey formula from Suz's site. She started out drinking the whole amount every 3-4 hours, now she only takes about 1/2 every 3-4 hours so I am getting worried. Her eyes are clear and bright her coat fluffy her tail has not puffed up yet. She has a odor not real strong but there.

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 12:39 AM

Yes, she does look small. I hope you can save her, the poor thing. Stupid PPP selling babies too young! Not fair to you or the glider -sigh-. Hope she makes it, good luck.

You could message Suz to get her opinion maybe. If she isnt eating as much it may be a bad sign.

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 12:42 AM

Ok thanks I will.
Posted By: SugareeErin

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 01:38 AM

Hope Suz can help you...having her in an incubator is probably a good idea so she stays warm. I am sure Suz will walk you through everything and let you know if you need to do that. I'm still praying for your baby! hug2

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 02:00 AM

Thank you so much Erin! I do have her in a incubator and I have been hand feeding her every 3-4 hours. I just wish I could get someone to give me a guess about age so I know when to start weening and introduce more food. I just want to get it right.

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 02:06 AM

can you get a closer picture of her?
I have pics of joeys currently 4 weeks oop and they look bigger than her frown

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 02:13 AM

Here are two more pix. Thats all I have right now that are halfway decent.

Attached picture tink2.jpg
Attached picture tink climbing.jpg
Posted By: Adri

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 02:14 AM

Have you weighed her? I have a 2 joeys that are 4 wks oop one is 36g the little guy is 33g. I'm going to try to get some pics up for you. I will be back!

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 02:15 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/bdeese2001/S5031433.jpg

heres a pic of adara at four weeks old

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 02:16 AM

Adara is so cute and she does look bigger then my baby.
I need to get a scale for her asap.

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 02:18 AM

That baby is tiny! there is no way she is over four weeks old!

Make sure you keep her warm and hand feed her every two hours.
Poor thing!!!

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 02:19 AM

my triplets today at four weeks weighed 29-38 grams
if you look up my update on triplet part 2 thread you can see their pics from today.

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 02:19 AM

Ok so I should feed every 2 hours instead of every 3-4. This is just so depressing that someone would take her from her mommy so early. I just pray I am giving her a fighting chance!

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 02:22 AM

well, as sick and tiny as shes looking right now id start with every 2 and then if she seems full and not wanting to eat as often you can back off to 3-4 hours.
You will be able to tell when she hungry once you guys get into a regular routine

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 02:28 AM

Ok I tried to weigh her on my ounces scale but she barely moved an ounce so I am sending hubby to walmart to get a grams scale.

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 02:29 AM

heres a pic of the triplets at almost 3 weeks oop
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/bdeese2001/S5032146.jpg

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 02:33 AM

Yeah I checked their 4 week oop and she doesn't look like them yet closer to the 3 week oop. But what scares me is it will be 2 weeks on Friday that I have had her that means she was only 2-3 weeks oop when I got her.

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 02:36 AM

poor baby!!! im so glad you came here to get some help!!!
Hopefully in 2 weeks she willbe interested in eating on her own so you wont have to hand feed her.

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 02:38 AM

OMG-she looks so tiny.....jackson and chelsea are 4 weeks OOP and weigh over 38 grams each......when I had to hand-raise my joeys, I got concerned because they weren't eating every 2 hours but I spoke with Sheila and she said exactly what Barbara said......you will be able to tell when they hungry after a little bit of routine...good luck and keep us posted

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 02:38 AM

I am glad I came here too. Even though I do enjoy the quality time I get with her hand feeding her I just want her well enough to thrive and eat on her own!

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 02:39 AM

Your triplets are fluffy little guys! Too cute, I'm sure you are very proud. I'm trying to fix my camera my pic are over exposed. I'll get it right in a few. My little guys look smaller than Babara's tho... But the weight is right in line, my babies are from a rescue girl who came with them in pouch weighing only 88g they were born a week later. I can't imagine anything from PPP would be in better conditions, so her weight should help us tell. I don't know if she looks as small as 4 wks just that her coat isn't well groomed which makes a big difference too. What do you think Barbara?

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 02:40 AM

Also my little guy "Hook" has been seen lapping up the HPW by himself, does she show any interest in eating by herself?

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 02:42 AM

Her coat is a mess. I uses the cottonelle wipes to try and help clean her but it isn't helping. Is there something else i should try to help her with her coat? I never see her groomig much at all.

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 02:43 AM

I have tried to put her formula in a flat lid but she justs walks thru it. Not even trying it.
Posted By: minkasmom

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 02:44 AM

blush Holy Toledo! She is so SMALL!!! Oooooh!!! tant PPP tant

But enough of that....you need to deal with where you are. Have you researched Suz's website on the subject of raising a joey? Let's be honest, that's what you're doing (through no fault of yours, honey! hug2 ) so arming yourself with information is the best starting point. Here's a link to the part that you need:

http://www.suzsugargliders.com/handraisingajoey.htm

The 2 things I want you to concentrate on is the feeding schedule and the incubator...and I agree with Barbara: it's better to give smaller feedings every 2 hours than to try & stuff her every 4 hours. (Just as a side thought: is she even able to go potty by herself??? That is a cause for concern, too worried ) And at her young age, she ISN'T able to maintain her own body temperature so an incubator would help that IMMENSELY. The heating pad can't have the automatic shut-off timer, watch that when you're shopping...and don't pinch pennies when you buy the thermometer either! The one with the remote reading device is GREAT for checking things without having to constantly open up the container. At the top of this forum is a "Sticky Note" about Maisie's Portable Incubator...there's some good reading in it too! thumb And if you have questions/problems/concerns, PLEASE feel free to call Suz!!! She's a WONDERFUL, LOVING, KIND lady who'll help you in every way that she can.

I'm adding my prayers to all the others going your way for this little baby. She CAN BE ok...but will need LOTS AND LOTS of loving! The reward will be when she gets to be 2 months old...she'll be a momma's girl that many will envy! mlove

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 02:45 AM

Well if she is 4 wks the parents usually are the ones to keep them clean, the cotonelle wipes is really all you can do that I know of. She is way to small for anything else. Has she been seen by a vet? How is her poop?

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 02:48 AM

She has been to a vet and is supposed to go back Friday. She has diarrhea has had it for almost a week. The vet checked for Giardia and it was negative. The vet said she had slight dehydration and to give her pedialyte or gatorade with water.

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 02:52 AM

I have seen my joeys start grooming but at 4 weeks mom and dad are still helping go to the bathroom and keeping them clean.
Her coat isnt very fluffy which could be nutrition since shes not getting what her little body needs at her age.

But sicne youa re feedin her the formula you should see a big difference within a few days.

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 02:55 AM

My baby is only 16 grams I am gonna cry I am so scared I am gonna lose her.

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 02:56 AM

Ok atleast you don't have Giardia to worry about. Please make sure you do the tent test regularly as with diarreah they can dehydrate really quick and things can get dangerous really fast. If she is dehydrated any vet can help but she will require sub q fluids. Do you have Suz's phone number? She really is great and can help you much better than I. I do alot of rescue work but 9 out of 10 they are adults. I'm not the best source of info on the babies but atleast I can give you an idea. I truly hope she gets better really soon!

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 02:57 AM

This is so sad! How can people take away a baby from its parents so early just to make money. It is sick.

I hope the little girl starts to eat for you. You can even keep her in your bra during the day wrapped up in fleece your body will keep her warm. This way you can constantly watch her.

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 02:59 AM

Oh boy that is too small! Please call Suz. Here is her info
sugarglidersuz - Suz
440-520-4799 (cell)
If no answer, please leave a message

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 02:59 AM

I am calling right now.

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 03:00 AM

I am soo sorry you are going through this, my heart goes out to you hug2 hug2 hug2

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 03:01 AM

Your allright!! Its not your fault but you can get her better!

Just follow the feeding schedule and keep her warm is the ost importan things and you will notice her gaining weight like nobodies business smile

Good luck hun!!!!!!

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 03:03 AM

thank you all soooo much I don't even know what to say I am grateful for everyones help and comments at least I know I am not alone and I am doing everything in my power to make sure my baby makes it!

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 03:06 AM

Weigh her everday and keep track of it. if you dont notice her gaining or if she starts loosing id get her back to the vet sooner than later.

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 03:07 AM

Ok I definitly will. Again thank you!

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 03:08 AM

Please keep us posted as we will all be worried til we hear from you

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 03:09 AM

anytime hun!! its what we are here for!

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 03:21 AM

I hope she gets better! She probably isnt grooming by herself yet, so just try and keep her as clean as you can. And make sure shes hydrated. Your doing a great job, and your at the right place to get info now! Hopefully Suz will be able to give you some more help and advice.
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 03:24 AM

I sent you a PM, it's the little flashing envelope at the top next to My Stuff wink

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 03:24 AM

Ok thank you .... nothing there?

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 03:27 AM

it's there now, I just type slow roflmao

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 03:29 AM

Got it thank you!

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 03:33 AM

Glad I could help hug2

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 03:38 AM

You all are the best I am so very thankful I was told by a breeder here in Maryland about this forum. I am not sure my baby would have made it this far without all you wonderful people!

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 03:48 AM

OMG I can not believe she is only 16 grams! That is very tiny. Have you talked with Suz yet? I am glad that more people have seen this and are helping you out now. I hope your little one makes it, she is for sure a fighter! Good luck!
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 10:03 AM

I'm sorry I missed your call during the night frown I am exhausted lately because I've been working full-time and I'm used to working just 1-2 days a week tounge
Anyway, your joey is very tiny and very sick. She's probably only 3-4 weeks out of pouch worried From looking at her pictures she's still dehydrated. The continued diarrhea worries me, especially since it's continued for a week. I would ask the vet for meds for parasites just to be on the safe side since the diarrhea is continuing. Make sure you go ahead and feed her every 2 hours as suggested by Barbara/bdeese and her incubator humidity needs to be kept at 70%. If you don't have a barometer for the incubator, then you need to get one - they're available at PetSmart in the reptile section. To keep the humidity up put a damp washcloth on the bottom of the incubator underneath the layers of fleece blankets. You may need to cover part of the top of the incubator with a handtowel. Try it covering various amounts of the top (always leaving some of the air holes exposed) until the humidity registers at 70%. The higher humidity level will also help to keep her a bit cleaner because her food and excreta will not be drying in her fur.
I will be at work today from 9-3 ET, but feel free to call me. Try my cell number first and if you don't get through then call my work number:
cell: 440-520-4799
work: 440-846-2665
Hopefully, together, we will help this little one survive and thrive heart
hug2 hug2 hug2
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 10:56 AM

That poor precious little baby! Praying very hard she makes it. Please keep us posted.

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 11:42 AM

When I took her to the vet he did give her meds to be on the safe side he said. I have been toing the humidity in the incubator but not the barometer. I will run out this morning to get one for her.I do have some semi-good news her poop was firmer then it was yesterday not solid like my other one but it least had a poop shape but was softer then it should be. Her coat is starting to look a little fluffier just not her tail. Suz she aye some of the pumpkin too at 2 of her feedings so I am hoping that is a good sign too. I will keep everyone posted I promise.

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 11:49 AM

She has many praying very hard for her. I will be keeping a watch for updates on this little one. And also there are some people trying to compile info to get these people shut down. I don't have the link right now, but I am sure someone else here does. You could add your story to it.

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 01:47 PM

Her eating the pumpkin is very good!!!
I glad she attempting to eat on her own!
To make sure pleasse keep hand feeding her the mix until shes fully eating on her own.

Has she gained any weight overnight since you have been feeding her?

Her tail would be the last part to start fluffing up so your on the right track smile

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 02:00 PM

this little one is in our prayers as well....glad to hear she ate a little pumpkin.....here's a big hug to you and your little one hug2 hug2 hug2

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 03:08 PM

The link reffered to above is http://sesg.suggies.net. There is a group effort to put an end to the senseless suffering of both suggies and their owners. Once Tink is better we will need your help. Please keep all reciepts and vet records as we will need those in the future. I will continue to pray for you and your little girl! It's a good sign she ate a little on her own smile

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 04:04 PM

Adri I signed up just waiting for approval.

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 07:20 PM

Thanks! I will contact you for any documentation you can help us with, again I am really rooting for Tink. I have faith you can get her through this!

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 09:01 PM

Woohoo I just weighed Tinkerbelle and she is now 17 grams. I am so excited. This is good right? On average how much should she gain a day? Also she is still pooping better and eating her pumkin though she is a messy eater lol

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 09:47 PM

Going up is good! More normal poop and eating more is definitely good! As long as she is going up, take that for a good sign. She is a little fighter, and she has a world of people praying for her. I'm so happy for both of you!
Posted By: mommawannabe

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 09:59 PM

Yay...she is gaining weight. You are doing an awesome job!!!! Just wanted to let you know you are both in my thoughts and prayers. Sounds like she is on the mend. Do you have any updated pics. Poor little thing.

Anna

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 10:26 PM

Any increase in weigh is good. Some days my joeys dont increase but a gram and then others it 2-3.
Id say one gram in the period of time is a greats start smile

Re: How old? - 10/01/08 11:31 PM

That is great! Go Tink! My joeys tend to gain about a gram a day, sometimes 2. You are doing a great job! thumb

Re: How old? - 10/02/08 12:15 AM

Very Good! I'm very happy for you both. Try to always weigh her at the same time, since there maybe some fluctuation throughout the day and it is also great to keep us the "slaves" on schedule. And in Tinks case I feel any weight gain is a huge step! Keep it up mommie, and give Tink a kiss for me! You know I have a very tiny Tink too she came to me as a rescue having a minimum age of 3 months weighing only 48g but she's weighing 79g now it's been a month since she is here. Your Tink will grow really quickly too once she gets a little stronger.

Re: How old? - 10/02/08 03:08 PM

I am very sad to say but Tinkerbelle is at the vet right now fighting for her life. She had a rough night, she was very lethargic and would barely eat any formula. I called my vet and they saw her immediately. They told me she only has a 25% chance of survival. I could either put her to sleep or let her stay and they would push fluids, antibiotics and something else but my head is spinning and I can't remember what. She has infections on her back feet, dehydrated and under weight.I told the vet to do whatever she possibly can because Tink is a fighter and I will fight with her for everything she needs. Please oh please keep her in your prayers. I am crying my eyes out even though I have only had her for a short time I love her dearly. On a side note I took my 5 month oop Wendy and she is perfect she weighs 60 grams and feisty. Thank god I have them in separate cages for the quarentine I couldn't handle loosing them both.

Re: How old? - 10/02/08 03:13 PM

Prayers are coming...

hug2 heart

Re: How old? - 10/02/08 03:42 PM

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this. I am praying for you, please keep us posted

Re: How old? - 10/02/08 03:54 PM

hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2
and lots and lots of prayers.......

Re: How old? - 10/02/08 05:26 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this!! Humongous hug2 s and prayers for both her and you headed that way!!

Re: How old? - 10/02/08 08:00 PM

I just got off the phone with the vet. The vet said Tinkerbelles is a little bit stronger then when I brought her in. They have been pushing pedialyte and they are going to try to get her on formula tonight. They said to call tomorrow late morning for another update. Please continue to keep her in your prayers! And thank you for those that already have her in their prayers my baby is a fighter but I am not ashamed to ask for a little help.

Re: How old? - 10/02/08 08:07 PM

Is someone going to be with her throughout the night, or is she just going to be in an incubator?

I only ask because one time when I was using a new vet, they wanted me to leave my dog overnight, but they were leaving at 7pm, and would not return until 6am! They didn't understand why I refused to leave my sick dog alone in their facility overnight!

Anyways, that is why I always ask - because if no one is going to monitor her, she would probably be better off with you so that you can keep an eye on her through the night...

Re: How old? - 10/02/08 08:29 PM

Ok just called back. They said that the vet has orders for her to be checked and fed/liquids pushed every other hour through the night and the vet will also be coming in a few times through the night. So I feel better about that. Monster thank you for reminding me about that I am so out of it I didn't even think to ask that especially since I have been getting up every other hour in the night to feed her.

Re: How old? - 10/02/08 08:31 PM

Good, I just wanted to be sure...Will be thinking of her tonight hug2

Re: How old? - 10/02/08 09:06 PM

Oh no I hope little Tink makes it! I have been thinking about you guys all day. She has made it this far, she just has to pull through! I am so sorry that you have to go through this! hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2

Re: How old? - 10/02/08 09:16 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about you're little baby! I hope she makes it ok frown I'll be rooting for her!

Re: How old? - 10/02/08 11:13 PM

I have sent you a PM

Re: How old? - 10/03/08 12:34 AM

I just saw this about your little baby and i too am praying for her. Hang in there she has a strong will for sure and my heart gose out to her. And its so sad that there are those who will sell a baby that young its just worng. i have three joeys for sale and i had a person to call me wanting one of mime young i said no way i don,t sell my babys till they are 18 weeks i send people who want to sell or buy gliders that young i send them to sugar glider univerisity to read http://www.glideruniversity.org/index/content/view/54/34/ this a great place to go check out. My heart is with you and your baby and your heart is hurting for her i know i too have gliders and went Sassy got her tail took off i like to of had a break down i was up four days and nights the vet was more worry about me then her he kept saying she will be ok but i did,t know that but today she is as sassy as ever no tail and it has not stop her at all and she is so cute. And she is going to be a mommy. But i hope your baby comes out of this she loves you and knows you are there for her.please let me know how she is doing. I do hope she is holding her own. ladycatblue02@yahoo.com Ann and the gliders

Re: How old? - 10/03/08 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: ladycatblue02
i have three joeys for sale and i had a person to call me wanting one of mime young i said no way i don,t sell my babys till they are 18 weeks i send people who want to sell or buy gliders that young i send them to sugar glider univerisity to read http://www.glideruniversity.org/index/content/view/54/34/ this a great place to go check out.

What that article is stating is 8 weeks oop or 18 weeks from the actual birth. Since we rarely see the actual birth age is calculated from oop date.(Just a clarification, as I didn't want people to think if they purchased a joey at 8 week oop they would have a problem) thumb

Re: How old? - 10/03/08 10:45 AM

I hope and pray that Tink has made it through the night and will gain strength and thrive heart Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and don't hesitate to call me if you need anything hug2
work (9-3 ET) 440-846-2665
cell 440-520-4799

Re: How old? - 10/03/08 12:24 PM

I've been watching this post too - I'm hoping there's good news this morning.
Posted By: RoxyNinja

Re: How old? - 10/03/08 02:56 PM

Any news yet???

Re: How old? - 10/03/08 03:17 PM

biting all nails as we wait for any news

Re: How old? - 10/03/08 04:55 PM

I am sad to say that the one I wore closest to my heart has passed away. She waited for mommy to come see her this morning and passed in my hands. I am devastated for my family I still don't how I am going to tell my children. I know we only had her for a short time but we loved her so much. Thank you all for the prayers I know my baby is in a better place now with no more pain and hurting.

Re: How old? - 10/03/08 05:10 PM

Oh, I'm so very sorry. I know how hard it is to lose a baby like that. Please know that you did eveything you could to save her and that she knew how much you loved her. I am praying for you and your family. hug2 hug2 hug2
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: How old? - 10/03/08 05:16 PM

cry hug2 cry hug2 cry hug2
I am so sorry to hear this news. She died knowing she was loved dearly and wanted so very much.

Re: How old? - 10/03/08 07:25 PM

cry cry cry
I am so sorry to hear your little one did not make it.....my heart goes out to you hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2

If you need anything, please ask

Re: How old? - 10/04/08 12:05 AM

cry I am so sorry that she didn't make it cry

I wish I had words for you, you did everything you could for her. It is a shame the vet did not tell you she was too young the first time you went frown They must not have had much experience with gliders. I hope that you new baby helps heal your heart and please do give your info over to the mill breeder project so you can help stop PPP. Have you contacted them at all to get your money back...it may be a lost cause but it's worth a shot...

hug2 I am sooo sorry hug2

Re: How old? - 10/04/08 01:55 AM

Thank you all! My husband is taking the paper work to his work on Monday and xeroxing it so I can mail it to the mill breeder project. I did email PPP and they were like well it sounds like she was around a toxin that killed her. I was like no you sold her to me to young. The vet verified it so it was not my doing it was your doing. GRRRRR it makes me so mad!

Re: How old? - 10/04/08 02:06 AM

tant They are so evil. Everyone that has been wronged should file a huge class action suit against them to recoup losses from vet bills or something. I just can not believe that they are still in buisness. It is so sad. Once again so sorry about Tink. I really hope that the mill breeder project works to stop them. cry

Re: How old? - 10/04/08 03:23 AM

::BANGS HEAD AGAINST WALL::::

Re: How old? - 10/04/08 10:01 AM

Oh no! Im soooo sorry for your loss!!!
She knew you loved her and did all you could to help her!

Re: How old? - 10/04/08 10:43 AM

Oh No! cry I'm so incredibly sorry cry Please remember that little Tink is at the Rainbow Bridge now with my Cricky, Pika, Reggie & Bobo plus all the many, many gliders who have gone before her. Now she is pain free and will be the healthy, beautiful glider she was always meant to be gangel

Little Tink, glide free, little love mlove

With deep grief, moving this over to Rainbow Memorials now cry

ETA, since a new thread has already been started in memory of little Tinkerbelle, I'm going to lock this one now...

My beloved Tinkerbelle
© 2019 GliderCENTRAL