GliderCENTRAL

Help Needed: Injured tail

Posted By: Merlin

Help Needed: Injured tail - 04/26/08 02:32 AM

When I got Gracie out of her cage on Monday I noticed two rings around her tail. It looked like someone had tightly wrapped string around her tail. Tuesday I noticed a sore developing on the tail and applied Tritop ointment. Wednesday I noticed the skin had been stripped off of her tail, down to the bone in spots. Thursday the vet removed better than half of her tail and stitched up the end. Friday morning discovered that she had pulled out all of the stitches. The vet took off another 1/4 inch. Can't put e collar on - she is overweight and neck is too large. What do I do now to keep her from pulling out new stitches?

Merlin
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 04/26/08 02:51 AM

the bitter tasting stuff?

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 04/26/08 02:52 AM

why cant they make a bigger ecollar form cutting one for a kitten?
This is what we used to do. Also- Maybe think outside the box Ecollar wise- Anything that keeps them from bending their neck could work - I'd bandage the tail, coat it with safe bitter bandage stuff and cut an ecollar to fit.

Posted By: Owndbymyfurballs

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 04/26/08 02:53 AM

You will need to make a larger ecollar. It is vital that she has it on, otherwise she will continue to remove the stitches more than likely.

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 04/26/08 02:55 AM

What do you mean by bitter tasting stuff? What is it?

Merlin

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 04/26/08 02:57 AM

Personally I find the bitter spray to be a bad idea with sugs. You really need to make a larger ecollar. The spray doesn't work with all glides, and isn't intended for use with them.
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 04/26/08 02:59 AM

You can also get a McDonalds straw, sut a slit up the side and put it on her tail. Make sure that it is at least 1/4" below the base of her tail. Secure it with duct tape (make sure that you do not get the tape on her fur).

Did the vet give you antibiotics?

The spray that was mentioned is called
Collastat Spray you can get this from your vet. Or there is another product called Bitter Apple.
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 04/26/08 03:02 AM

Make a bigger ecollar! I'm no good at changing patterns, but maybe someone on here can help you adapt the ecollar pattern to fit Gracie. Good luck with your baby!

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 04/26/08 03:07 AM

You'll probably have more success with the collar with 2 people until you get used to it, and she stops fighting so hard. Have the second person hold the glider down with thumbs along the spine, and you'll kind of need to (GENTLY) pull her head toward you so she doesn't scrunch her neck to get the collar wrapped around-then tape. It can take a few tries to get it straight. If you can just get it on, and let her fight it out (a blanket on the floor works), she should be calmer later to reposition it if it doesn't come off.

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 04/26/08 03:08 AM

Antibiotic is Clindamycin Hydrochloride Oral Liquid and she refuses to take it.

Merlin
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 04/26/08 03:11 AM

What about a body cone? Seems I remember it being mentioned on here before but I can't remember the post.

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 04/26/08 03:12 AM

She HAS to have it. Have you tried mixing it in with one of her favorite licky treats? Yogurt, or baby food fruit works great sometimes. Only use a small amount of the treat, so that she gets all of the medicine. You can also try and inject the medication into a mealie or wax worm.

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 04/26/08 03:19 AM

Linda offered some good advice. Anytime I have to give a suggie meds, I always mix it with a tiny bit of yogurt. I never have a problem giving it that way.:)
Posted By: Jackie_Chans_Mom

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 04/26/08 03:29 AM

If your vet also sees birds, ask for an 8 inch bird collar with snaps. Then, cut the plastic down to the first row of snaps. This collar can be adjusted to fit fluffier gliders.

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 04/26/08 04:00 AM

For her medicine - tried mealy worm - she spit it out when she tasted medicine. Will lick yogurt off finger until she tastes the medicine so I have been putting 6 drops in a teaspoon and sucking it up into a syringe. I put the syringe in her mouth and leave it in mouth for at least a minute, until she finally swallows it. Now I have to work on e collar. Wish me luck

Merlin
Posted By: Suggieluvin

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 04/26/08 04:21 AM

For the e collar, my vet took X ray film, cut a circle (just guessing on the size, she said we can always change it), then cut a straight line up to the middle of the circle and cut another circle for her neck. That way we could cut the middle circle larger if we needed!
So basically, its a circle, with a circle cut in the center!! Where there is a will there is a way!!! LOL
Took me over 45 min to then get it on and to STAY on!
I have also ordered that collastat spray to try too!! Even with the collar she can still get to her tail if she wants, I think it just distracts her from it though!

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/Ryanmb3/ImportedPhotos00011-1.jpg

Good Luck!!

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 04/26/08 04:36 AM

Good Luck with the e collar! hug2

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 04/26/08 06:57 PM

Spent several hours last night and again this morning trying to make a collar and then get it on her. She pulled stitches out overnight. This morning we pulled skin over bone and tied end of tail with thread. It took two of us many tries to get a collar on her and it took her 1 hr. and 15 min. to get it off again by pushing the bottom edge against the cage floor. After she did that she was comfortable, tucked her nose into her blanket in the corner (her favorite sleeping position) and went to sleep.

Has anyone ever tried to use ambusol on a wound so the glider does not feel it? Wondered if that would help. Am open for suggestions.

Merlin
Posted By: Suggieluvin

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 04/26/08 07:16 PM

Don't use ambusol, it will make their tongue numb and they can bite it off!

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 04/26/08 07:46 PM

Since she has reopened her wound, I strongly suggest that you take her in and have it redone ASAP. Self suturing can cause more harm to her. I'm sorry that your having such a difficult time getting her to keep an e collar on. Have you tried putting a McDonalds straw on it instead? I posted earlier on what to do. Some how she needs to be contained from getting at her tail otherwise it will become worse, and possibly will have to have more removed.
Do you have another vet near by?

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 04/30/08 02:51 PM

I had to put graice down this moring more later merlin R I P my sweetheart will miss you
Posted By: GliderLove

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 04/30/08 03:17 PM

OH, I am SO SORRY!! hug2 hug2 hug2 God speed little Gracie!
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 04/30/08 03:19 PM

I am so very sorry!

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 04/30/08 03:42 PM

cry I'm so sorry to hear about Gracie. Godspeed sweet little baby girl. glider
Posted By: kthiessen

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 04/30/08 05:25 PM

I'm so sorry. hug2
Posted By: TracieB

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 04/30/08 05:30 PM

hug2 So sorry to hear about Gracie. She'll be at the Rainbow Bridge waiting for you. hug2
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 04/30/08 06:30 PM

hug2 I'm so sorry for your loss

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 04/30/08 08:46 PM

awww...so sorry merlin gangel
Posted By: Karin

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 04/30/08 10:06 PM

cry I am SO very sorry Merlin.

Karin
Posted By: kb2e

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 05/01/08 05:52 PM

So sorry, Merlin, about Gracie. I know how you feel right now.

I can understand the problem with the e-collar. Gracie was very overweight, she even had dimples in her eyebrows. I've never seen such a chubby, even her mates aren't as big as she was.

Posted By: Feather

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 05/03/08 12:35 AM

I am so sorry for your loss, may your memories of her comfort you.

Sincerest Sympathy

Re: Help Needed: Injured tail - 05/19/08 05:54 AM

first pix is gracey two weeks before her tail got bittten pix 2 is the day after and the 3 pix is before it had to be removed

http://www.glidercentral.net/images/m1.jpg
http://www.glidercentral.net/images/m2.jpg
http://www.glidercentral.net/images/m3.jpg
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL