GliderCENTRAL

Brodie is crashing - PART ONE

Posted By: glidrz5

Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/18/11 09:59 AM

This last week in addition to dealing with Ryan's issues, Brodie started to develop dehydration issues He was placed on antibiotics and I began treating the dehydration with G2. Tonight despite being sub-q'd several times and given G2 he is not responding. Please pray for him.
Posted By: Gizmogirl

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/18/11 10:01 AM

Oh Cris, I am so sorry. hug2

Many prayers coming Brodie's way. hug2
Posted By: Bozeman

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/18/11 10:03 AM

Oh no! Praying for little Brodie!
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/18/11 11:34 AM

Oh Chris, I'm sorry! You've been through so much with your little guy! hug2
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/18/11 11:49 AM

My prayers are with Brodie, Chris. hug2 hug2
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/18/11 01:18 PM

You and Brodie are in my prayers too! Come on little guy, you can do it!
Posted By: Cora

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/18/11 01:26 PM

oh nooooooooo, come on Brodie! ((((hugs))))) to you, Chris
Posted By: Critters

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/18/11 01:44 PM

Praying for the both of you smile
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/18/11 02:28 PM

Oh no! Hang in there, Brodie!!! Keep fighting little guy!

Sending lots of prayers your way!!!
Posted By: the gliders angel

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/18/11 06:25 PM

have u tried pedialyte?
Posted By: Janie

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/18/11 06:28 PM

sending lots of prayers your way
Posted By: tbull

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/18/11 06:49 PM

hug2 hug2 We're thinking of you. Stay strong Brodie. hug2
Posted By: angelic4296

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/18/11 09:36 PM

Ohhhh Brodie, come on sweetheart, bounce back for Mommy, she's very worried about you and so are we frown....praying for the both of you very hard....
Posted By: Laurens_Babies

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/18/11 09:51 PM

"The crowd quietly at first but gets louder and louder...." Brodie. Brodie. BRODIE! BRODIE! ....

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/18/11 10:18 PM

praying for you Brodie....
Posted By: minkasmom

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/18/11 10:21 PM

Come on, sweet Brodie! I know you're jealous because Ryan has been getting so much attention.....but gee whiz, don't give your mommy and all the rest of us such a HEART ATTACK like this! worried Pull yourself through, be strong for Ryan, we're all on YOUR side!

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/18/11 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: the gliders angel
have u tried pedialyte?

Karen, please read the entire history about Brodie and his care. Chris is one of the most experienced gliders owners around and has been through way more with Brodie, than most people will ever go through with gliders. She knows about pedialyte and testing and vet care.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/19/11 12:47 AM

When I talked to Chris earlier today she said Brodie had eaten some HPW mix, some yogurt and drank a little G2 and was doing better. She is doing sub-q injections every 4 hours. We need his strength to build up and quickly. Brodie has always been on the small side (averaging about 86 grams) but he weighed in at 95 today so that is good news.

Perhaps Chris will be able to give us another update before she (and Brodie) goes to work tonight.

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/19/11 01:24 AM

Thank you, T...good to hear his weight is up anyway. Please keep us posted if you can, if Chris can't let us know. Pulling for the little man. Sending as many good thoughts as I can!!!

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/19/11 01:58 AM

Brodie is still not feeling well, but has been eating food and taking his G2 (not always willingly, but taking it). He is also feeling more active and wants to climb up to the top of Momma's hand after each bite so he can sit and chew rather than being held. With each bite he takes, I can feel his grip getting stronger and more sure. His eyes are more alert and his ears have started to come up some. His weight is staying up in the 95 gram range AFTER eating and Brodie is stepping onto the scale by himself and then climbing back off onto me.

As Teresa said I have been sub-qing every 4 hours. His dehydration seems to be slowly getting better and he is stable for the time being. I will be taking fluids with me to work tonight so he does not go off his schedule.

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/19/11 02:15 AM

I am so glad he is doing better! still sending prayers to you both *hugs*

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/19/11 06:39 AM

Continuously praying for Brodie. hug2
Posted By: Dani4Hedgies

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/19/11 12:31 PM

Yea Brodie keep on getting better lit guy and quit scaring your momma like this. HUGS to Brodie and Chris we will keep you both in our prays that Brodie gets all better.
Posted By: hpyhwn2003

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/19/11 12:49 PM

You hang in there Chris and Brodie. Brodie kepp on eating and drinking young man. HUGS for you both!

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/19/11 03:39 PM

Sending prayers up for sweet Brodie... hang in there, little man!
Posted By: Feather

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/19/11 05:24 PM

Chris,

I am so sorry to hear that little Brodie isn't doing well.

I will be keeping him and you in my thoughts and prayers.

Brodie, you keep eating and drinking for your momma!

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/20/11 08:18 AM

Brodie is hanging in there. He is not well or even close to it, but he is continuing to eat and drink when I ask him to. I am feeding him every 2-4 hours and he is continuing to get sub-q fluids every 4 hours to maintain hydration.

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/20/11 08:25 AM

Brodie's Godparents are thinking of him!

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/20/11 03:41 PM

Chris, call me when you can please.

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/20/11 05:39 PM

chris i know u have alot of experience with illnesses in gliders. but just a little of my experience here. i almost lost my destiny a year ago today. she was severely dehydrated and fell out of her pouch almost gone to the point that today a yr later she has neuralogical damage from being to the point of death. but how i pulled her through was. there was no time at this point for testing the vet changed meds and this broad spec antiibiotic in shot form did the trick i had seen her begin to move a t least 4 hrs later. the rest of the time i continued the same med orally after the one shot i had to force feed her for a month thats how bad off she was. she survived on bml and pedialyte only and i did this around the clock every 2 hrs only 2 days of sub q by by vet once in the morning. and she was down from 90 grams to 65 at the time she was ill. she is still with me today alive and well. running in her well every night.

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/20/11 06:09 PM

Karen, yes, you had that experience and thankfully your glider is still with you. But you need to realize that not every glider that gets sick will have the same thing as your glider nor is the treatment your glider received THE treatment for every ill glider.

Brodie's illness has been going on for quite some time. There is more to the story that you just don't know.

Brodie IS on antibiotics (two different types shotgunned together) and is being fed round the clock and given fluids to rehydrate him.

This is NOT a simple infection that a shot of antibiotics will fix. The underlying cause has yet to be determined.

You are constantly telling people to do with their gliders what worked with YOUR glider and that can be very dangerous. IF the ill glider does NOT have what YOUR glider had, you could easily be giving information and advice that will KILL that glider. YOU really NEED TO STOP!

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/20/11 11:38 PM

Lot going on behind the scenes, more than any of us know but I wish we did as teaching to the rest of us. I try to share my experiences as they happen.

Karen your sweet and mean well, I know you do, wording is everything in when typing and meaning/emotions are not known.

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/21/11 01:53 AM

just going by what my vet did and said. and her words were in her yrs of dealing with gliders sometimes there is no time for testing and we just have to keep trying meds till we find the one that works. she said you should see improovement within 4 days and if u dont she told me its time to switch. sometimes we just dont know the cause and all the testing shows nothing. so all we can do is find the right med by switching meds till we find the correct one. that is not the case with all illnesses im not saying it is. i do believe in tests and have done them. and still believe in them.

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/21/11 03:35 AM

Come on Brodie, keep improving little guy, we're pulling and praying for you!...

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/22/11 01:41 PM

How is Brodie doing?

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/23/11 08:50 PM

I only know Brodie is still around somewhere! Hopefully someone can update at some point. I dont know enough or feel comfortable enough doing so, just know he is still OK and his mom is awesome!!! Hugs Chris and her angels!
Posted By: culookn

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/23/11 09:11 PM

Brodie Brodie Brodie - C'mon Brodie - you can do it clap Brodie Brodie Brodie..Positive thoughts, prayers & love coming to you...Brodie Brodie Brodie

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/24/11 09:35 AM

Thank you Cora, we were getting worried. Hugs to all. hug2

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/24/11 01:41 PM

Mary would like for me to say Brodie is in Houston. He is being subqed about every four hours. She hand feeds him every four hours, he then gets very energetic for about 5 minutes then he curls up and crashes. He has an appointment with Dr. Fronefeld tomorrow at 1030. Jen and Chris drove down to Houston and has placed this baby in Marys care so please keep those prayers coming. After vet visit tomorrow someone will update.
Posted By: culookn

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/24/11 01:43 PM

Thank you Cora - many many prayers

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/24/11 01:49 PM

Thank you for the update Cora. Many hugs and prayers going out to everyone involved with Brodie. hug2

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/24/11 01:51 PM

More prayers going out for little Brodie.

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/24/11 02:23 PM

Poor Brodie. Hang in there little one!

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/24/11 02:41 PM

Looking forward to a good update tomorrow! Sending tons of prayers for this special little guy!
Posted By: ozzi

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/24/11 04:17 PM

mlove angel hug2 Praying for the Brodie Man hug2 angel mlove
Posted By: lilangels

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/24/11 04:30 PM

My prayers are with Brodie. It sounds like he has been throyugh sooo much that he just has to pull through...he must be a fighter!!!

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/24/11 09:06 PM

If anyone can get him through this, it would be Mary and Charlie. Angels watch over you all!

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/24/11 10:43 PM

Mary says to say he is up playing and doing better, hasnt been sub qued since last night, still being handfed. He also has some sinus issues which have dried up as well.

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/25/11 12:09 AM

That's awesome! So glad to hear it! Keep up the good work, Brodie!

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/25/11 12:51 AM

sending more prayers he continues to improve!

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/25/11 01:02 AM

thats great news . mary is a true miracle worker she is truly amazing with what she does with gliders.

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/25/11 08:26 AM

Thank you for helping Brodie, Mary. We all love him dearly. Prayers and well wishes still pouring in. hug2

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/25/11 12:23 PM

Thank everyone for your continued prayers for my Baby Bear. I know that he is in good hands with Mary and that she and Dr Fronefield will do everything they can to get Brodie well enough again so he can come back home. It was an interesting trip getting him down, but neither rain nor hail nor dark of night stopped us from getting him there. He also has Ryan to keep him company and remind him of home while he is away from Momma.

Ryan has only know Brodie for a very short time, but they bonded almost instantly. Ryan has been helping to care for Brodie by grooming him, cuddling with him and talking to him. He watches whenever I would get Brodie out of the pouch and will call to Brodie when Brodie comes back to the pouch and instantly grooms him to get any food that Brodie might have dropped off his fur and then lays on him to keep him nice and warm. If I would have Brodie in my bra, and put Ryan in my shirt also, he would lay so his head was right near his buddies. It has been so sweet to see and ashard as it was to leave two babies behind, I couldn't separate such devotion.

We will hopefully have a better idea of what is going on after Mary takes the boys in to see the Dr this morning. Ill keep everyone updated on what's happening.

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/25/11 12:27 PM

Good to hear there has been some improvement. Thanks for the updates...looking forward to more positive ones! Go Brodie!!

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/25/11 01:22 PM

Thank you for the update.

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/25/11 02:10 PM

Thank you for the update Chris, will be keeping all of you close to our hearts.
Posted By: Dani4Hedgies

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/25/11 02:17 PM

Chris and Mary,
Hugs to you both and we will keep Brodie in our prays.

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/25/11 04:00 PM

i know mary will work a miracle with brodie. he is in the best hands with her. she is just an amazing person.

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/25/11 06:50 PM

Oh I hope we hear GOOD NEWS today! Hang in there Brodie!

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/25/11 07:24 PM

Brodie is back from seeing the Dr. He is showing signs of a calcium deficiency, we don't know at this time if it is due to a lack of calcium in his diet or if it is related to an illness. Mary is to try treating it by altering his diet to compensate for the time being and see if that is helping or if additional steps will be needed. It was also discovered that Brodie has gas so he has been put on a medication to help with that. He has also been given a new medication to help with his sinus issues, which are believed to be allergy related.

No conclusive diagnosis on what is causing things can be determined at this time because Brodie needs to "detox" from the medications that he has been on. Mary is going to be monitoring him closely to make sure that he remains stable while coming off the antibiotics & prednisone and Brodie will return to the vets in 9 days for further testing.

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/25/11 07:55 PM

Poor baby has gas on top of all of the other issues. frown

Thank you for the update Chris, we will keep Brodie bear in our prayers. hug2

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/25/11 09:10 PM

Ditto what Liezl said. Thinking about ALL of you!
Posted By: minkasmom

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/25/11 11:34 PM

Well, if all that news just don't leave ya imitating a knothole! shock It's VERY VERY encouraging that he hasn't needed to be sub-q'd for a little while (I'm sure he was feeling more like a pincushion than a glider, poor boy) and that a POSSIBLE starting point was found. Now those 2 boys need to be GOOD for Aunt Mary and do exactly what she says!

Continuing to pray for them both....and tons of mlove for their nurse!

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/29/11 12:45 AM

I have been in daily contact with Mary and she told me that Brodie is doing well. He is alert and starting to be more active. She believes that he is coming out at night and eating but she can't catch him doing it. However he is pooping more that what she is feeding him so he is apparently being sneeky. I have gotten to talk to him on the phone and according to Mary whenever he hears my voice he goes very still and listens. This morning he tried to climb onto the phone to find Momma.
He is also staying hydrated and has not needed sub-q'd since he got there. In addition the new sinus meds seem to be keeping his nose dried up.
Posted By: glidermom71

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/29/11 12:50 AM

Chris, that is great news. Go Brodie!! Get well soon Brodie so you can snuggle with your mom again. I am sure you miss her as much as she misses you. Lots of love, prayers, and hugs coming your way.
Posted By: Faerie

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/29/11 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: glidrz5
This morning he tried to climb onto the phone to find Momma.

This made me cry. Keep on keepin on Brodie!

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/29/11 02:29 AM

Attaboy Brodie!!!!!

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/29/11 03:07 AM

Originally Posted By: glidrz5
I have been in daily contact with Mary and she told me that Brodie is doing well. He is alert and starting to be more active. She believes that he is coming out at night and eating but she can't catch him doing it. However he is pooping more that what she is feeding him so he is apparently being sneeky. I have gotten to talk to him on the phone and according to Mary whenever he hears my voice he goes very still and listens. This morning he tried to climb onto the phone to find Momma.
He is also staying hydrated and has not needed sub-q'd since he got there. In addition the new sinus meds seem to be keeping his nose dried up.

What wonderful news!!! How sweet that he knows Momma's voice! Keep up the good work, Brodie!

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/29/11 05:31 AM

Best news in a loooong time. Way to go Brodie!

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/29/11 06:28 AM

Praying for you and your little ones.

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/29/11 06:50 AM

Awe, that's our boy! You keep getting better Brodie.

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/29/11 05:24 PM

That is great news! Way to go Brodie!
Posted By: ozzi

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/29/11 05:43 PM

clap clap mlove Yay Brodie mlove clap clap

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 04/30/11 01:36 AM

Now THAT news is more like it smile Good job Brodie, stay strong and get all better so you can be reunited with mommy!

Mary and Charlie are spectacular, I bet Brodie is loving some time with his Aunt Mary, even though he misses his mommy terribly!

Get well soon Brodie!

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 05/02/11 06:27 AM

Still thinking of you Brodie.
Posted By: Kryssidog

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 05/02/11 06:45 AM

As it goes - no news is good news. So a BIG "at a boy" to Brodie! Keep up the healing. We'll wait patiently for the next report of your improvements!

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 05/02/11 06:46 AM

im sure he is doing well with mary he is in the best hands right now. im sure she is using her magic touch with him.
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 05/02/11 07:31 AM

dance
so glad he is doing better!

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 05/05/11 03:31 PM

Little Baby Brat got nabbed this morning. Mary has suspected from the amount of poop that he is producing that Brodie has been sneeking food at night (which having him wanting to eat on his own would be a very good thing) However she has not been able to catch him at it.....until this morning that is. She got up around 5am to check on him and Brodie was sitting by the food dish munching away on a piece of corn. The minute the light from her flashlight hit him tho, the little brat dropped his corn & curled into a ball and pretended he was asleep. I can just hear his little voice saying "I is not eating, I is sleeping so you must get me out and love on me and feed me."
Posted By: GliderGuy540

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 05/05/11 03:33 PM

roflmao

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 05/05/11 03:37 PM

LOL! Busted! Good going, Brodie!
Posted By: tbull

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 05/05/11 04:02 PM

Good job Brodie. You just keep sneaking all the food you want. thumb I'm sure Mary will still give you all the spoiling and snuggles you can handle. mlove

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 05/05/11 09:02 PM

:fall: roflmao

that is wonderful news!

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 05/05/11 11:40 PM

dance mlove thumb Go Brodie! So adorable!

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 05/06/11 06:57 AM

roflmao That's great!

Such character! clap

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 05/06/11 06:28 PM

That little stinker. Glad to hear that he is eating something on his own.
Posted By: cyndiekb

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 05/06/11 07:02 PM

I have been following Brodie for some time. I skip to your posts Chris and I am thrilled to hear he is doing better. Still cheering for him over here "GET WELL BRODIE GET WELL"

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 05/07/11 02:33 AM

What a great and cute story! Yay, Brodie keep up the good work! smile

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 05/08/11 12:17 AM

More Progress! laugh Yesterday when Mary went to get Brodie out to eat not only was he up but he was HANGING on the cage door! Then later when she put him back he chose to CLIMB into the hanging pouch rather than stay in his box pouch on the cage floor. Later he moved back down to the box pouch (probably when he was sneeking food). So my boy is getting more active! Also his fur is not as discolored as it was because he is feeling up to grooming more.

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 05/08/11 12:29 AM

Yayyyyy Brodie!!! Awesome news, Chris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 05/08/11 09:28 AM

Chris, I am so happy to hear Brodie's activity levels are up. You just keep this wonderful progress up Brodie. thumb

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 05/12/11 08:23 AM

Updates on Brodie?

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 05/12/11 12:25 PM

We're still waiting until he goes back to the vet next week. He is continuing to be alert and wants to be more active, but he isn't the most coordinated right now and has an unfortunate tendency to fall if he tries to climb too much. His appetite continues to be good and he is continuing to be sneeky about eating on his own so that he will get fed and loved on by Mary.

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 05/12/11 01:32 PM

Still thinking of the little guy...
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 05/12/11 01:49 PM

Chris, I did not know this was going on with Brodie. My thoughts and prayers are with you, him and Mary. He has been through so much....God bless him! Come on, Brodie, we all know you are a little fighter...you can do this!!!!

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 05/15/11 12:46 PM

How is Brody doing today?

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 05/15/11 02:36 PM

For the last 2 days Mary has only been giving Brodie his Ensure during the day. Despite her cutting back on his food, he is continuing to poop quite a lot (10-11 poos that she can count) so he is obviously eating during the night even tho he is sneeky about it. He is continuing to be alert and is keeping up on his grooming. We'll know more after he sees Dr Fronefeld tomorrow.

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 05/15/11 02:38 PM

clap clap clap

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 05/17/11 01:31 AM

How did Brodie do, I've been praying for the little man....

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 05/17/11 01:36 AM

Brodie went to the vets today and we know a little bit more. He still has some gas so is still on his medication for that. He is also now on a calcium suppliment. In addition we discovered that Brodie is blind. His eyes work but his brain does not process what he is seeing. This means that he is dependant upon his other senses and could explain why he doesn't want to eat on his own. Because if he can't see or smell his food he doesn't realize it is there unless you place it in his mouth. Chances are this is permenant, for chances of his brain rewiring itself to give him sight again are very remote.

Brodie has also had another blow to him. He is now alone at Mary's because he lost his buddy Ryan today. We are not sure what happened but a necropsy has been performed that will hopefully give us some answers as to why he crossed the bridge so suddenly and without warning. Please do not post here about Ryan, I will start a thread in Rainbow Memorials for him.

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 05/17/11 01:42 AM

Poor Brodie! frown Still praying for the little man!

Re: Brodie is crashing - PART ONE - 05/17/11 07:03 AM

See PART TWO
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL