GliderCENTRAL

I just found a lump on Timmy's chest--HELP!

Posted By: pappy1264

I just found a lump on Timmy's chest--HELP! - 05/28/08 11:01 AM

He is still intact and he has a pea sized lump just above his chest scent gland, is that normal? Since I don't have any other intact males, I don't know for sure. He is acting fine, but now I am worried! HELP! I will call the vet, but wanted to know if this is normal or not first. Thanks!

Re: I just found a lump on Timmy's chest--HELP! - 05/28/08 11:28 AM

My vet isn't in yet, but I thought I would come here first. It is soft, has no fur but it is right on top of where the chest gland ends. He is not reactive when I touch it, it is not red or hot. Can gliders get fatty tumors? I know alot of other animals can and do. God, I hope this is nothing bad. He is alert, playing and eating well, acting normal. I wonder if it could be an inpacted chest gland (I know it can happen in the anal scent gland, so something like that?) I don't know. I hope someone else pops in. Thanks guys.
Posted By: LSardou

Re: I just found a lump on Timmy's chest--HELP! - 05/28/08 11:53 AM

Mary, It sounds like it could be an impacted scent gland. Did you try and gently massage it to see if there is any fluid that can be expressed thru the gland.
Your doing right to get him into see the vet. If it is infected he will need antibiotics asap.
Sending you lots of hugs and prayers for Timmy.
hug2
Posted By: glidrz5

Re: I just found a lump on Timmy's chest--HELP! - 05/28/08 11:58 AM

Mary, my Bobbie Girl developed a lump on her chest quite a few years ago. The thing seemed to develop overnight & was large enough to be very alarming. I took her in & had it removed. It turned out that it was just fatty tissue. Admittedly she was a girl without the scent gland issue, but she did just fine afterwards and suffered no ill effects from it.

Re: I just found a lump on Timmy's chest--HELP! - 05/28/08 12:00 PM

Thanks. I was thinking that, since he is a marking fool some days! lol I didn't, I figured I wouldn't mess with it (having experience with lumps and cancer, the more you mess with them, the more 'upset' they get. Not saying it is cancer, but lumps always make me worry!) I hope she calls soon. She is due in at 9 am. I will keep you posted.

Re: I just found a lump on Timmy's chest--HELP! - 05/28/08 12:02 PM

It does 'feel' like a fatty tumor (I have had a few myself, had one removed, my dogs have all had them). So they CAN get them. This one is small, as I said, no larger than a pea. But it is new....thanks Chris.
Posted By: glidrz5

Re: I just found a lump on Timmy's chest--HELP! - 05/28/08 12:17 PM

glad to help. I remember how much I spazed out when it happened to Bobbie & how on edge I was until the biopsy results came back. I'll keep my fingers crossed for Timmy.

Re: I just found a lump on Timmy's chest--HELP! - 05/28/08 12:29 PM

smile It will be two years on June 15th that Timmy came into my life (and changed it forever for the better!) I love all my babies, but he is the only one that rubs his face on mine, chatters to me when I say 'I love you Timmerman' and the reason I have the gliders I have. I didn't even know what a glider was when I saw the ad 'sugar glider and cage 115.00' (and literally that is what it was. He had one old, ratty pouch, and was in a cockatiel, galvanized steel cage, covered in chicken wire. He had a water bowl and the water in it was green and slimy and stunk. And the cage was so greasy, I had to carry it from the bottom as it would slide through my hands if I tried to carry it from the sides!)

HE HAS TO BE OK!!!!!

Re: I just found a lump on Timmy's chest--HELP! - 05/28/08 04:14 PM

Ok, bringing him in first thing Friday morning (I can't leave now as I have no one who can be here when my kids come home and tomorrow, I am having an MRI and the timing of what they had open wouldn't work.) She said although not normal, she wouldn't be overly concerned (meaning he should be fine until Friday). She will do a needle biopsy and if it is a lipoma will schedule a surgery to remove it next week. She said it could also be an infected scent gland, being where it is. So that is the latest. She said if he starts acting different, to call and just come in, but she doesn't think that will be the case.

Re: I just found a lump on Timmy's chest--HELP! - 05/28/08 04:29 PM

Thank you, Shawna. I am very 'bump/lump' aware, check everyone all the time. Been like that ever since my rottie, Jake, had bone cancer. Not to mention my husband (they found his because he developed a lump in his neck.) He has not lost weight, is acting normal for him and otherwise has nothing out of the ordinary. She did say if it is a limpoma (fatty tumor) because of it being so close to his airway, it would need to be removed as quickly as possible, as they can grow very quickly (I know, as I had one that was pressing on my brain stem removed two years ago. Been having bad head pains and have a swollen lymph node on the right side where it was removed, so going in for an MRI tomorrow!)

I know he is a good boy and at least he is easy to examine! lol

Re: I just found a lump on Timmy's chest--HELP! - 05/28/08 08:53 PM

People tell me he is a lucky glider (but they have it wrong, I am the lucky one!)

Here are some pics of him. You can see how stained his chest is and you can kind of see the lump (although it looks red in the pic, it isn't really). His bald spot is HUGE from Gidget grooming it (and him rubbing on everything! lol) There are 6 in total.

Attached picture Timmy chest stain 1.jpg
Attached picture Timmy chest stain 2.jpg
Attached picture Timmy chest stain 3.jpg
Attached picture Timmy chest stain 4.jpg
Attached picture Timmy chest stain 5.jpg

Re: I just found a lump on Timmy's chest--HELP! - 05/28/08 08:53 PM

last one.....

Attached picture Timmy chest stain 6.jpg

Re: I just found a lump on Timmy's chest--HELP! - 05/30/08 11:19 AM

GGGGGGRRRRRR.........my vets office just called. They needed to reschedule Timmy's appt., the vet had a family emergency! I now have an appt. for next Wednesday. The lump has not changed, nor has he or how is acting.
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: I just found a lump on Timmy's chest--HELP! - 05/30/08 01:36 PM

Mary, my Cricky had a lump on his chest scent gland a few years ago. The vet thought it was an abscess at first, but when she put him under to lance it, she discovered it was actually a tumor. She removed it and the entire scent gland. Biopsy showed that it was benign (non-cancerous). Cricky healed up just fine and never realized he didn't have his gland anymore. It always cracked me up to watch him rub his chest against Pika, me, and everything else, trying to "place his mark" to no avail roflmao Hopefully your little guy will just have an abscess that can be easily treated, but if not, try not to worry hug2

Re: I just found a lump on Timmy's chest--HELP! - 06/03/08 05:17 PM

Thank you. It is growing fast, doubled since I found it. I will be surprised if he doesn't need surgery. Still hoping it is just an impacted or infected scent gland that meds will clear up, but the way it is growing......<sigh> Keep the prayers coming!!

Re: I just found a lump on Timmy's chest--HELP! - 06/04/08 07:30 PM

Thanks guys. Well, Timmy will be having surgery on Tuesday morning. They did a needle biopsy, no signs of cancer, not a fatty tumor. They said it looks like a sebaceous cyst, but it has grown quickly and that is not good. He was very good (only crabbed once and I laughed as it has been so long his I have heard him do it!! lol) He weighs 160 grams and she thinks he will do just fine. So keep the prayers coming it is an easy surgery and recovery.

This means I will not be able to make it to the get together next weekend, unfortunately. I won't leave him and he won't be ready to travel.

I also brought Roo and Petey, as Roo has been 'huffing' sometimes when she potties. She peed all over me, so they couldn't get a sample, but when she checked her down there, she squeezed and blood came out. She put her on Baytril for 14 days (gave her an injection of it today) and we will go back after treatment (unless she seems to be not getting better or is worse). There is also the chance it could be stones, but we decided to try to meds first (instead of sedating her today and doing a scan). Hopefully it is just a UTI, but if not, she will need surgery, too! She also expressed her anal glands, as they both felt pretty big to her. Lots of stuff came out (the vet said 'oh Roo, I get to smell like you all day...') but it was all normal. I'm sure that helped her to feel a little better.

They were able to get a poo sample on Petey, but not Roo, but she said if his is clear, she feels pretty confident hers will be too. We can try again when we go back in two weeks. Petey crabbed once and even gave her a little nip on her finger but not hard. Roo was sweet as pie. Petey has gained weight (she said the worming probably helped him with that.) Roo lost 15 grams! She is down to 170, so she is getting there! She said they all looked great, nice and bright eyed and healthy all things considered.

So if you could please keep my Timmy in your thoughts (and Roo too), I'd appreciate it.

Brenda, I will mail the cage set to you, can you pm me your addy? Thanks!

I am sad I won't be able to make it, but I have to take care of my little man.

Again, thank you to everyone for thinking of us!

Re: I just found a lump on Timmy's chest--HELP! - 06/04/08 07:43 PM

Thank you. The biggest concern will be where it is. Do they put an ecollar on him? The collar will pretty much 'sit' at the top of the incision. But he may be able to reach it. Does anyone have any experience with this? What do I do? I am terrified he will get at it but don't know how they will be able to put the collar on.

Re: I just found a lump on Timmy's chest--HELP! - 06/04/08 09:12 PM

Mary, I'm so glad to hear that his lump is not cancerous. Will be keeping Timmy and Roo in my prayers.
There is a member by the name of sugarblossoms who's vet had made a 'special type of a restraint that wrapped around the body without causing limitations in movement. You might want to pm her and find out exactly what and how it was made. I did see one picture and I thought it looked pretty cool.

Re: I just found a lump on Timmy's chest--HELP! - 06/04/08 10:53 PM

Ahhhh, I remembered that, but couldn't remember who it was! I was just going to post asking about that!!!
Thank you! Me, too. They will still send the whole thing out for biopsy to make sure they didn't miss anything. They were all loving on him. He was such a good boy. I just want him to be ok. I love him so much, it hurts my heart he is going through this.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: I just found a lump on Timmy's chest--HELP! - 06/04/08 11:01 PM

I was just on the phone with my sister trying to remember how she got her cat into some sort of cat-proof baody bandage. It involved ace bandages and those little metal-clinging-grippy-things.....but gliders are so much more dextrous than your average cat. frown I bet he could get out of it pronto.

I do hope you can find a wrap that works. I'm sitting here all worried about it.

Re: I just found a lump on Timmy's chest--HELP! - 06/04/08 11:02 PM

I know a sort of 'shirt' was made from vet wrap. I just emailed sugarblossoms, so hopefully I will hear from her and she can help me!

Thanks!

Timmy is having surgery, but I need help....... - 06/05/08 12:19 AM

He will be having a subaceous cyst removed from his chest surgically. Problem is, he will be able to reach it, but an ecollar is not an option, as it will rest right where the incision will be! I know someone on here had made a 'shirt' from vet wrap when their glider could not use an ecollar. Does anyone know who it is or how to do one? I need to come up with something. I am afraid he will chew himself up. Can anyone help? Does anyone know? I pm'd sugarblossoms, as I think it may be her, but trying to cover all my bases here, as my time is limited. Thank you!!

Re: Timmy is having surgery, but I need help...... - 06/05/08 05:27 AM

Mary, keep trying to get in touch with sugarblossoms. the other person you might want to contact would be minkasmom or usmom.

You can also try and contact SuggieLuver4941, she can give you the name of the vet that took care of her little baby that was put in the body harness. Peanut is the name of the glider, who is currently staying with sugarblossoms.

Re: Timmy is having surgery, but I need help...... - 06/05/08 01:04 PM

Thank you. I will try to pm her. I am also thinking, and please feel free to post your opinions on this, of trying to make a 'shirt' using lanyard cloth, covered in vet wrap, with velcro down the 'back' to hold it on, but so I could take it off as needed. Do you think that would work? I am just thinking the lanyard cloth would help it keep its shape, yet could still 'move'. I may try it today and see how he does in it......(I know he is not going to be happy, but I have to figure this out before his surgery!)

Re: Timmy is having surgery, but I need help...... - 06/05/08 08:50 PM

Ok, heard back from suggieluver. This is not what I was talking about. Does anyone remember who had a glider with a wound and they made a sort of 'shirt' out of vet wrap (I am pretty sure it was pink if that helps). I need to try to find this person. Thanks for any help!
Posted By: minkasmom

Re: Timmy is having surgery, but I need help...... - 06/06/08 12:30 AM

Hi, Mary! I just tuned into this thread (for a reason that I couldn't tell you other than something told me to read this) (bless my little glider guardian angel whoever it is)

I was reading that you need something to cover a chest incision (like where the scent gland is on his chest), right? My suggestion would be to take something like Vet Wrap (they have it for humans in the First Aid aisle....it's called something like No-Stick Tape? It comes in 2" wide or 3" wide & stretches, but is breatheable) and do a criss-cross over left shoulder, under right arm--then around the mid-chest once--then over right shoulder and under left arm. Finish the wrapping so the end is between his shoulders in back & secure it with duct tape or Gorilla tape. You'll need to make it a LITTLE snug but not so tight that he can't breathe.

The other thing that I've been working with off & on is to take a sheet of Avery Opaque Index Tabs (which I use for e-collars) and make a "jacket" type thing that'd be solid in front (chest area) with holes for a glider's arms (padded with moleskin) that'd overlap on the back. Either velcro or (my new best friend) Gorilla tape could hold it closed. Maybe you could use that concept & put a couple squares of gauze secured with double-sided sticky tape for the chest area? I don't know how well Timmy would like it....but that's SOOOO not an issue here!

I'd also suggest contacting Mary Holcombe....if there's any way to jerry rig anything, betcha Mary would know how to do it!

Wish I could be the answer to your situation. Maybe you can take my ideas and go from there. I wish you LOTS AND LOTS of faith & hope & healing.
Posted By: Sherri

Re: Timmy is having surgery, Part 2 - 06/06/08 01:04 AM

Minkasmom said to have your vet make a jacket out of nich bandage.

Thats what the blue stuff is in the picture of Herc. He may tolerate that better than anything hard.

Re: Timmy is having surgery, Part 2 - 06/06/08 01:18 AM

Ok, this is what I was thinking, but minus the ecollar part. I thought if I made a shirt out of the landyard cloth (it is bendable and moves but would help to keep its 'shape') with the vet wrap over it. What do you think????

Re: Timmy is having surgery, Part 2 - 06/06/08 02:21 PM

Gliders wearing pants
I know what you need is for the chest but mabey this will give you some ideas.

Timmy got his ecollar off last night - 06/24/08 03:46 PM

He is grooming, but not chewing, so going down today to get the sutures out instead of tomorrow. He is SO HAPPY to be able to groom himself. I gently washed him a little and dried him. He looks good, all things considered. I took pics, have to download them. I will do that when we get home. Please keep the good thoughts he doesn't go after himself. Watching very closely and so far, he just it licking and grooming (all over, not just his two surgery sites). I was shocked to find after all this time the collar was off, but at least he is healed up. And I KNOW he is happier with it off (he got to hold his own mealies! lol) I let him and Gidget have a little time, but not ready to let them stay together. She didn't try to groom or bite him at all so that is good! I will post when we get home........thanks!

Re: Timmy got his ecollar off last night - 06/24/08 04:23 PM

I'm just happy it didn't come off until he was healed!! lol Thanks guys. Heading out soon, so will post when we get home. Considering he got it off sometime during the night, I would 'think' if he was going to chew himself up, he would have already.

Re: Timmy got his ecollar off last night - 06/24/08 07:02 PM

Change in plans. As I was getting ready to head out, got a call, very bad storms hitting down there and all around (hail, thunder, etc), so since he is being good and not eating himself, decided it was safer to keep the appt. for tomorrow morning. He is sleeping in his pouch around my neck, being a very good boy, has not messed with anything. I am pretty sure if he was going to start to sm, he would have been working on it already. I will be watching like a hawk, but I think (hope) we are safe. I have the collar cleaned and ready if I need to get it back on, but hopefully we won't need it. Sorry for the back and forth. But didn't want to risk getting stuck with Timmy, the kids and Peepers in a bad storm in traffic (as it would be rush hour when I was traveling back and forth.)

Timmy got his ecollar off last night - 06/25/08 12:38 AM

Hey Everybody

Just got off the phone with Mary..... Timmy ripped his chest back open.Not good at all. They can't put the ecollar back on. So will have to wrap his chest up so he can't get at it and hopefully he will leave that alone. I'm sure Mary will be on here yet tonight when she gets back.

Everybody pray really hard that Timmy leaves his owie alone this time.

hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2

Timmy got his ecollar off last night - 06/25/08 03:29 AM

Thanks Cheryl for posting for me. Going to be LONG night! He ripped not only the outer, but inner stitches. Actually he chewed a big hole in his chest, taking lots of skin out. There was nothing left to resuture! He has a wrap that covers from his chin down. He has to go in every three days to be sedated and have it changed and it will take a long time to heal. We are hoping this will work, as there is not anything else she can do. The collar won't work, as it rubs the incision (they have a pressure bandage almost on it now because it is so open.) It really was bad. It kills me, he had not touched it all day (I had just fed him some mealies less then 5 mins earlier and it was fine!) She has never seen a glider do this like he did and she said she is praying it will heal. The fear is, even after it heals, he may reopen it! But got to get it healed first and that will not be easy. I am not sleeping tonight as I have to make sure he doesn't get the bandage off. He is [censored] off, crabbing at me and my heart is breaking. I hate this. This is too cruel to get this close and have this happen. I can't even believe it did! She 'thinks' that even if they had taken the stitches out, most likely he would have still gone after it. Basically he will need to live in something until he is healed and the fur has grown all back in and then HOPEFULLY he will leave it alone.

I have always had a fear that this is what he would do, it is the very reason I had never had him neutered. I know this little guy better than I know myself. I am so angry I allowed this to happen! That collar should have gone back on. It is just he was not messing with it and well, he was so happy to be able to sleep normal for the first time in 2 weeks. And he got to hold his own mealie! Now here we go again (already cut and fed him some mealies). I think this time will be harder than last time. He is so determined to get to himself. God, I wish I were closer to Mary H!

Guys please pray hard for my little man. I was scared before, but now I am terrified. If this doesn't work, I don't know what they can do........

Re: Timmy got his ecollar off last night - 06/25/08 03:32 AM

Here are the pics, btw, so you can see. This was before he did anything to himself.......if you saw what he looks like now, you would probably get sick. I know I almost did.

Attached picture Timmy collar off 1.jpg
Attached picture Timmy collar off 2.jpg
Attached picture Timmy collar off 3.jpg
Attached picture Timmy collar off 4.jpg
Attached picture Timmy collar off 5.jpg

Re: Timmy got his ecollar off last night - 06/25/08 03:32 AM

Last one.....

Attached picture Timmy collar off 6.jpg

Timmy got his ecollar off last night - 06/25/08 03:40 AM

Thanks Brenda. He is my heart and soul and this is killing me. I just want him better. I know I had no choice but to do the surgery but why did this have to happen? Yes, if you have a glider with surgery, please keep those collars on. I am so angry at myself right now, even though he was being so good. I just can't believe how fast it happened!
Posted By: Holly1221

Timmy got his ecollar off last night - 06/25/08 04:01 AM

[font:comic sans ms]Mary what are we gunna do with him ? so many hug2 sent your way ! the poor little thing. it must have irritated him in some way that we don't know of. unfortunately we will never know why some gliders SM. cry it is just something that happens even when we try to prevent it.

had Timmy been on any kind of pain meds ? i know with me with the chronic pain i deal with everyday, some days it just gets to be too much [the other day at i nearly bit a hole in my lip tryin not to concentrate on the pain in my leg].

i certainly hope the gauze wraps will help ! it should put enough pressure on the wound to heal as well as stop anything "bad" from happening. although.. i think it should be changed more than every 3 days [sorry, i'm in the hospital too much]sometimes it can hold the infection in.. but that's enough stress to put the little dear through as it is.

i wonder if they could give him a shot of cortizone or a pain reliever when you take him to get the bandages changed ?

hmm. i wonder abt something. i don't know if they could use this, but there is some stuff called Mepilex. i use it for my leg. it doesn't have to be changed for up to a week bc it has the medicine in it[although i change it every few days]. it's grey and kind of like a spongy material except 1 side is sticky, it doesn't hurt to come of the wound though which is the really good part. it works really well and it could be put on under the gauze... just a thought[/font]

Timmy got his ecollar off last night - 06/25/08 04:04 AM

I don't know. They did put meds under the bandages, he is on pain meds and more antibiotics (he was on them for 7 days after the surgery, as well as topical antibiotics). Timmy is just one of those gliders that is very aware of what should be and should not be on his body. I just hope if we can get this healed, he will leave the scar alone!!!

Timmy got his ecollar off last night - 06/25/08 11:10 AM

We survived the night. I finally got him to settle and go to sleep sometime after 3 am. He was really going at the vet wrap!!! I even took Gidget out at 2 to let them have some together time. He was excited, but it didn't last, as she was trying to TAKE HIS BANDAGE OFF! He is ok, I just checked on him. I will 'nap' today while he is sleeping. This is going to be a tough battle, but hoping he will get adjusted to living in the 'shirt and collar' and leave it alone. Although I am not counting on it. I am exhausted, been a long time since I pulled an allnighter! lol (I slept with one eye open....worse than having a newborn in the house! lol) I will get pics of him tonight if I can. Thanks and keep the prayers coming!

Timmy got his ecollar off last night - 06/25/08 11:51 AM

Mary, I'm so sorry that he went after himself again cry Please don't blame yourself (although I know it's hard not to). He gave you no indications that he was going to do this again shakehead
Two things come to mind that may help with the healing process... One is called Scarlet Oil... It has ingredients that are toxic if taken internally, so it can only be used when the affected area is well-bandaged so the glider can't lick it off, but it seems to be a miracle healer. It really speeds up the healing process for some reason. Ask your vet about it thumb
Another option is one that I've used with Mareki when she was SMing her chest and patagium... Synotic Otic Solution - it is a topical solvent that helps to prevent granulation of the wound as it heals. Although it has a steroid element so it is not recommended for extended use, it really worked well for Mareki for short-term treatment. The benefit was really duofold because in addition to helping the wound heal without as much scar tissue, it also has a side-effect of giving an immediate, horrible garlic taste in the mouth if you get just one drop on your skin anywhere. I had to wear surgical gloves when putting the drop on her wound to prevent getting this taste in my mouth (the vet had warned me about it in advance) BUT the unanticipated benefit was that Mareki didn't want to lick the wound at all once the solution had been applied blush It actually prevented her from continuing to Self Mutilate! Ask your vet about it - it may or may not be an option for Timmy considering the size of his wound, but if it is an option, it could be very helpful in preventing him from continuing to attempt to get his bandage off thumb
Please feel free to call me if you have any questions about any of this. I'm pretty much awake 24/7 right now with handfeeding my joey anyway heart
hug2 hug2 hug2
Since we are now dealing with another health issue for Timmy, I'm going to move this thread over to Health & Hygiene now...

Re: Timmy got his ecollar off last night - 06/25/08 11:57 AM

Thank you, Suz! I will call her and ask about these today. If he keeps it on that long, we go back on Saturday. He will need to be put under and the bandanged changed every three days! (I live a good hour + one way from the vets, otherwise, I'd probably have them do it every couple of days.) He is back on Baytril and Buprenex (which didn't seem to make him sleepy in the slightest last night....ggggrrrrrr....lol) I am exhausted today. He just ate for me and I am going to go lie down with his hospital cage next to me on the bed so I can really watch him. He already has been chewing like crazy on the bandage, but it is holding. She said she has never had a more determined glider! lol I will keep you posted. Praying your little charges thrive and mom will take them back and feed them. Guess we both will be pretty much sleepless for a while! Thanks again!

Timmy got his ecollar off last night - 06/25/08 07:15 PM

Thanks Jess, but you are doing so much for me already! I will be going there every three days to have him sedated and his bandages changed, so we may be seeing a lot of each other...lol

Timmy got his ecollar off last night - 06/26/08 01:39 AM

Well, I just gave Timmy his meds (he hates them), he ate his mealies and now is happily slowly walking in his wheel! He has been without one for two weeks and he can only sleep so much! He also has one of Kathy's suggie gyms in with him, so hopefully having something to do will help to distract him from trying to get his bandage off. Good thing, I actually woke him up when I went to get him to give him his meds, so at least he is tired again.....didn't think he would ever sleep!! I will try to get pics tonight so you can see what they had to do to keep him from his chest. We go back on Saturday morning for a change of the bandage (they have to sedate him to do it) and hopefully it will look good under there! The good thing when they put the bandage on, they can put antibiotic cream on it as well, so between that and the baytril hopefully we can keep infection at bay! Keep the prayers coming. Thanks! I think I MIGHT get a little sleep tonight (I got about an hour nap today....)

I just popped my head in the room, he is now running (albeit slower than normal) in the wheel. I know this will make a HUGE difference for him!!! Poor guy, he was so bored and couldn't do it in the ecollar, but can with this 'shirt' on and hopefully it will keep his mind of things and he will heal without too much fuss on his end!!!

Timmy got his ecollar off last night - 06/26/08 02:19 AM

I know it really helped Darwin a LOT to have his wheel back after his tail was partially amputated. I was really nervous about doing it since I'm pretty sure he broke his tail while running ON his wheel to begin with (he normally has a Rescue Wheel and he loved to run on the OUTSIDE of the wheel, then hop to the inside mid-stride) shakehead But he did just great with it and was much happier for it laugh

Timmy got his ecollar off last night - 06/26/08 12:28 PM

Thanks guys. He ran almost all night on his wheel! I actually found him sleeping in it this morning! lol (This way, she can't sneak it out on me...lol) He did sleep for several hours, was up running on it a little while ago. I think it will really help him get through this. Timmy needs distraction and he is not an easily distracted glider when he wants something (to get his bandage off...lol), so having this in there, helps tons! Plus, he gets himself tired, so that is great!!!! I actually got sleep last night! Normally the sound of the wheel would make it hard for me to fall asleep, but it was music to my ears (if he's running in it, he's not messing with his bandage!) Matter of fact, his stopping would wake me up! lol Saturday is the big day, when they do the first bandage change. We will see how it looks underneath, praying it looks good! This is his only chance, there is no other way to keep him from it and it HAS to heal!!! Keep the prayers coming! And thank you again so much. Having your support is such a help to me!
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Timmy got his ecollar off last night - 06/26/08 02:04 PM

Will the vet let you take pictures of his wound with each bandage change? Or take pictures for you? That way, you'll have a record to go by of how his progress is. When you get discouraged, you can always go back thru the pics and see that there IS progress being made. I've done that before with various things and it helps a lot. Timmy is as strong as his mama. He will make it just fine! I can feel it in my heart!

Re: Timmy got his ecollar off last night - 06/26/08 02:06 PM

Thanks Connie, that is a good idea, I will ask her (I'm not back there when they do it, so I will ask if they can take pics for me.) I just posted pics of his bandage.

Pic of Timmys wound (graphic) - 06/29/08 02:59 PM

This was taken yesterday while he was under having his bandage changed. I don't have a pic of what it looked like when he did it, but this is so much better!! It is closed up so much already. This is what can happen without an ecollar on. He did this in about 2 seconds. I had him in a bonding pouch and as soon as I felt any movement, I opened the pouch up. I shudder to think what could have happened if I had put him in his cage to rest. He has a way to go yet, but at least we are moving in the right direction. I will have pics taken with each bandage change to document how he is doing. The very top part is the abrasion he got from the collar rubbing and then under that, the hole is what he did. It is so much smaller already, I can't get over it!!!

Attached picture Timmy's 1st bandage change.jpg

pics of Timmy from today - 07/13/08 08:54 PM

There are 13 in total. The last one is funny....ever see a glider do a headstand??? How do you think he looks? This whole ordeal is really wearing me down and I am beginning to question my judgement on how he looks. I think he looks good, but I need others to tell me what they think. He has lost so much weight.

Attached picture Timmy tie dye 1.jpg
Attached picture Timmy tie dye 2.jpg
Attached picture Timmy tie dye 3.jpg
Attached picture Timmy tie dye 4.jpg
Attached picture Timmy tie dye 5.jpg

Re: pics of Timmy from today - 07/13/08 08:55 PM

next five....

Attached picture Timmy tie dye 6.jpg
Attached picture Timmy tie dye 7.jpg
Attached picture Timmy tie dye 8.jpg
Attached picture Timmy tie dye 9.jpg
Attached picture Timmy tie dye 10.jpg

Re: pics of Timmy from today - 07/13/08 08:56 PM

and last three....including Timmy doing a headstand...lol Keep in mind, the boy sleeps with his collar on this way!!!!

Attached picture Timmy tie dye 11.jpg
Attached picture Timmy tie dye 12.jpg
Attached picture Timmy head stand.jpg

pics of Timmy from today - 07/17/08 05:54 PM

dance grin cloud9 jump roflmao thanks party clap wave thumb mlove laugh hug2 heart

HE IS ALL HEALED!!!!!! No more 'shirt' or bandage. She said to keep the collar on at least 3-4 more days,.....I will be keeping it on until my little boy has a furry chest again! I know him, and I am not going to let him go through that again!!!!

I cannot thank all of you enough. The last 5 weeks have been so hard (5 weeks ago he had his surgery...I can't believe it!) I don't know how I would have gotten through this without the support of all of you! Everyone kept saying how lucky Timmy is to have me. I keep thinking how lucky I am to have all of you!!!

I will get pics later of my 'naked' glider....lol He looks so good and he came home and mowed down 10 mighty mealies!!! lol He deserved it!

Thank all again so much!

pics of Timmy from today(no more bandage!) - 07/17/08 09:03 PM

He really needs a bath! But he is healed enough to be without a bandage (actually only little cut is from the collar irritation). He has lost so much weight, but he will gain some back soon enough! Does he look a little happier???? I cleaned him up after I took the pic of his chest.

Attached picture Naked Timmy 1.jpg
Attached picture Naked Timmy 5.jpg
Attached picture Timmy Bandage gone.jpg

pics of fuzzy Timmy (7.22.08) - 07/22/08 03:32 PM

He is starting to get fuzzy, you can see it in some of the pics. He was playing in the weebles house (God bless him, he was inside with the collar on....the boy is determined! lol) He is doing really great!! Not much longer I think and that collar will come off (but playing it safe, so not quite yet! lol) What do you think, he look good?

Here is the link for dropshots, since there were too many pics....

www.dropshots.com/pappy1264

pics of fuzzy Timmy (7.22.08) - 07/23/08 04:50 PM

Thank you! I am playing it VERY CAUTIOUS with the collar, so until he is completely furred, he will be in it and living alone. I can't have him go through that again (and I know he will go after the scar if he can see it! Just praying he doesn't with fur on it!)

It amazes me he can even get in it, let alone turn around inside with the collar on! lol

Thanks Jess. I know, I went back and looked at all the pics (and I remember what it looked like the night he chewed himself) and I am amazed myself! I know it is a miracle not only that he healed, but how quickly it did! I am just very thankful!!

pics of fuzzy Timmy (7.22.08) - 07/25/08 09:04 PM

My vet said I could take it off, but I'm not ready to yet! lol I want him fully furred before it comes off. Maybe I am just paranoid, but I can't risk him hurting himself again. He has gotten so used to it and he can groom himself and everything, so I don't think its a big deal. Better safe than sorry, right! Thank you!

pics of fuzzy Timmy (7.22.08) - 07/25/08 09:16 PM

The thing is, after what happened, I realized it only takes a second and his vet said if he goes after himself again, he might not make it the second time, as he had done so much damage the first time. But was very lucky he did not hit a major blood vessel and bleed to death. Or hit a nerve and have nerve damage. He was one very lucky little suggie! Nope, no chance taking here.....he doesn't care about the collar now, so I will give him as long as I feel is needed. Thanks guys!

pics of fuzzy Timmy (7.22.08) - 07/27/08 02:11 PM

Thank you, Pat. I was out all day yesterday at a barbeque but will get some today. He is FURRY!!!!!!! I can't believe how fast it is growing in. But one thing I noticed, where he did the most damage, it has grown back in gray, so he has a grey stripe on his belly, too! lol

NO MORE COLLAR FOR TIMMY (PICS) - 07/27/08 09:26 PM

I decided today is the day.....he is doing very well, albeit he has spent the last three hours grooming, but normal grooming. I got a bunch of pics (he looks like he's waving, giving a 'fist up' and doing a karate kick....lol) You can see how much his fur has grown in, too! I am still nervous, but I figured, he is healed and I want the little irration on his neck from the collar to heal, as well. You can see in one pic all the fur the tap pulled out from that last bandage (the one he pulled off himself). I gave him a mini bath today, as well. He really needs a good cleaning..but he is working on it! Anyway, let me know what you think (and say a little prayer I made the right choice!!!) Thanks. Here is the link for the pics on dropshots....

www.dropshots.com/pappy1264

NO MORE COLLAR FOR TIMMY (PICS) - 07/28/08 11:31 AM

Thank you! I woke up several times last night, he was sleeping! I think he needed to catch up on GOOD SLEEP! He did not hurt himself, although he must have groomed yesterday for at least 5 hours straight before falling asleep!! Thank you to everyone for their support and caring during this whole ordeal.....I think we are on the other side!

need some opinions........(Timmy) - 07/28/08 11:39 PM

Timmy has done great with his collar off. Now comes the next step, putting him back in with Gidget. Anyone have any opinions on this? Should I just put him back in (they have had 'visits' throughout this, and yesterday I put him in their cage for a few minutes to see how she would be, but since it is hard to watch him in there, could not leave him...btw, she would not stay in the pouch he was in, wherever he went, she would move to a different pouch!) Should I start by just doing playtime for a few days and then go from there???? I want to get this 'right' and also don't want to risk anyone getting hurt! HELP! What do I do????

Re: need some opinions........ - 07/28/08 11:43 PM

How about having a little one on one time with them in either the tent or the bathroom and see how they do there first?

Re: need some opinions........ - 07/28/08 11:54 PM

I will do that tonight (although I have been letting them play a little throughout this). I just worry Gidget may have become cage possesive based on how she won't stay in the same pouch as him (although she was fighting or crabbing, just going to a different pouch). I know he will be so much happier but also worry if there is a problem the glider room is down the hall and what if I don't hear it??? UGH.....I thought the hard part was over...lol Thanks.

Re: need some opinions........ - 07/29/08 12:00 AM

I wouldn't put them back together quite yet. If there is any exposed skin, she might try to groom it and end up opening his wound back up... Maybe you can put them in a cage together during the day, when you can supervise and seperate them at night, until you are sure she won't mess with his surgery site.

Re: need some opinions........ - 07/29/08 01:04 AM

I was thinking about trying that, but do you think that would be more stressful on him? He misses her so much and I know she misses him too. I think she is just confused now with him going back in 'her' cage. I may put her in his hospital cage with him (it is easier to watch them that way, as well). I did that yesterday, but she just clung to the side when I zipped it up. I just don't want to risk him getting hurt. She does groom his head like crazy and she nips his back legs and bottom (she always has). His neuter is completely healed, which is a good thing. I think you are right, Leyna. They have gone this long, better to be safe than sorry. Thank you!

Re: need some opinions........ - 07/29/08 01:13 AM

I think its a good idea, Mary, for you to put them in the hospital cage. That way she wont feel near as aggressive or protective of HER area. I know they miss eachother soooooo much!

Re: need some opinions........ - 07/29/08 11:24 AM

Well, I decided to put Gidget in for a little visit last night (in Timmy's hospital cage). Leyna, you called it--they were doing great, so I walked out for a minute to get some thing. Came back she had groomed his neck, it was red, but thankfully not open! I immediately pulled her. I put some animax on it (thankfully it is a place he can't reach with his mouth himself) and he left it alone. It looks nice this this morning. It is where the collar was rubbing, so it had a little irration there that was healing.....so, I guess it will be a while longer. But Timmy seems fine, and actually she does, too. I really hope I will be able to get them back together though. She grooms him like crazy (always has, that is why his bald spot covered his whole head...lol) Thanks guys, at least I KNOW what I have to do now....
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL