GliderCENTRAL

Can you spay the female?

Posted By: Sabrina

Can you spay the female? - 04/23/08 01:01 AM

I've read tons of posts about neutering the male, but can you spay the female instead? Do most people choose the male because it's less invasive and helps with the smell? Just curious...
Posted By: cyndiekb

Re: Can you spay the female? - 04/23/08 01:05 AM

It has been done but it is extremely invasive and difficult on such a small critter.

not sure but probably really expensive
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: Can you spay the female? - 04/23/08 01:10 AM

From what I've read, there has been only one spay done on a female, and it was a necessity. I don't remember if she lived or not.

The females have a dual reproductive system - just as the males do. Two uterii, four fallopian tubes, the ability to nurse joeys of different ages, etc. It would be a VERY dangerous procedure, where as - as in humans - it is much easier to just have the male take care of it! Non-invasive, same day surgery all the way!

Re: Can you spay the female? - 04/23/08 01:19 AM

Hmmm...that's what I figured. I've never heard anybody mention it and was just curious. Thanks!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Can you spay the female? - 04/23/08 01:42 AM

Also from what I have read any sort of abdominal cavity surgery in a glider has a high likelihood of failure just because they have so little blood and they are so tiny, they pretty much bleed out and lose all their body heat by the time you could finish the procedure frown I think Xfilefan posted pics and a story about a glider she had who had surgery and didn't make it. Seeing this made it pretty obvious why spays wouldn't be successful.
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: Can you spay the female? - 04/23/08 05:32 AM

One other concern is that all of the female abdominal surgeries I know of also means they close the pouch and females have a really difficult time with that. All of the females that I can think of right now with sugery (not a spay surgery, but any kind of abdominal surgery) are not currently living.

Re: Can you spay the female? - 04/23/08 05:43 AM

I guess the male's going to get the short end of the stick in this debate. LOL. Thanks for the info!
Posted By: Judie

Re: Can you spay the female? - 04/23/08 06:01 AM

I know of only one female that was spayed by a Vet here in my area.

When Dr. Morrow told me he did a spay on a female sugar glider I was shocked. The spay was done to tone down the little female's agressive behavior towards her family. It was either spay her or the owners were going to get rid or her.

The incesion was done from the side so did not affect the pouch.

So, it is possible to spay a female glider if one has a very good exotic vet.

However, I do not advise spaying of the female glider. Better to snip the males... and even then some Vets do not seem to know how to do that proceedure correctly.
Posted By: cyndiekb

Re: Can you spay the female? - 04/23/08 06:05 AM

OT HAPPY BIRTHDAY JUDIE!!

and thanks for the info smile

I like to snip the boys anyway exclamation
Posted By: BCChins

Re: Can you spay the female? - 04/23/08 11:20 AM

Sneaks in off_topic Happy Birthday Judie bday enjoy your day. Sneaks out............
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL