GliderCENTRAL

Injured tail???!!!???

Posted By: Suggieluvin

Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 04:32 AM

I was watching Bindi eat tonight and noticed a "balding" spot on her tail, once I got her out and really looked, it seems that it is a little swollen and red on the balding area. Then, when I started parting the hair above the balding area, it looks like the very tip of her tail is black and sriveled really skinny, almost like its dead!!??!!
She is eating, drinking, ect.. just like normal. I noticed her cleaning it last night, but it wasn't showing a bald spot, or at least not the angle that I saw it at, but I thought she was just grooming. All 3 seems to like to suggle in the smallest pouch in the cage, so its not uncommon for them to get some poop or something on their tails, so I didn't think anything about it last night.
She doesn't seem bothered when I look and touch on the tail, like it doesn't even hurt? I have no idea what could have happened. She does use her tail alot, she likes to curl it alot. I'm hoping she didn't curl it up around the center bar in her wodent wheel (She LOVES her wheel) while running and maybe it went over to the far side of the wheel and pinched it (if that makes sense??), between the metal bar and the plastic??
I am going to take her to the vet tomm, but I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on it?? Also, my vet sees some gliders, but not a TON. Is there anything I should let her know or look for with this?? Any suggestions would be great!!! Thanks so much!
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 04:40 AM

You need to get her to as soon as you can tomorrow. Necrotic tissue (black, shriveled) is nothing to mess around with. Also, generally die off can be very painful, which is probably why she is overgrooming and some gliders SM their tails. She will need to have the dead tissue removed (amputation) and will need antibiotics and possibly pain meds and to be in an e-collar until it heals. If you notice any signs of her biting at it, she needs to be in one tonight. After the amputation, you will need to watch it closely (even after it heals) to make sure that the die off does not continue. Although it doesn't always happen, it does happen and you need to stay ahead of it, so something to look out for.

There have been tail injuries reported in the past from the wodent wheels, but I'm not sure you will ever really know what happened to her.

Let us know what happens tomorrow! hug2

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 04:54 AM

Would the hair still be on the part of the tail if it was dead tissue?? Or will it start coming off, if that part of the tail just started dieing?

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 05:17 AM

Here is a pic.........

You can see the spot on the side of the tail where she has gotten the hair off today, but notice the darkened area at the end~I tried to part the hair the best I could, I even dampened it a little so you can see....

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/Ryanmb3/ImportedPhotos00003.jpg

When I don't part the hair on the tail, it still looks normal, with fluff and all, you can't even see it????

Here is the tip, I zoomed the pic in some...

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/Ryanmb3/ImportedPhotos00003-1.jpg

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 05:38 AM

It looks like it might be in the process of dying off. dunno The mottling skin is not a good sign, if that is what it is.

If it were me, I would put her in an e-collar now, in case she would start SMing her tail tonight. You also might want to put a large straw (if you have it) over her tail to keep her from bothering it. The collar will help her leave the straw in place as well. Get her in first thing tomorrow (I mean, they open - you are there) because if it continues to travel up her tail, she may lose the entire tail. I may be wrong, but I imagine that the vet would amputate above any mottled/discolored skin, so it looks like that may be above where she is pulling fur. worried

I honestly don't know how long fur would stay on a dying tail, but if it is dying quickly, I would think that it could. dunno

I'm sorry I'm not more help. Do you have an emergency vet that you can call tonight and talk to about it?

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 05:44 AM

No, there is one that they can call in, but its $400.00 if they do and I don't even know how much he knows about gliders??? I will take her to my vet tomm, asap!!
Thanks!
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 02:10 PM

I'm dealing with a tail injury right now (one of my glider's mates ripped the end of her tail off!).. it does not look anything like that at all, the vet did have to take off 1/2" of bone that was sticking out, and it's a little red (vet said it's bruising from trauma), but there is NO black whatsoever! That baby needs to see a vet now as that tail is most likely causing her a lot of pain and the necrotic tissue can cause a systemic infection which can easily kill her!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 02:14 PM

Crossing all my crossables that you have taken her to the vet this morning! Please keep us updated!

Jen

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 02:30 PM

My vet can't see me until 3:30, I think she is also anticipating on having to amputate today.
Posted By: minkasmom

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 02:33 PM

Suggieluvin, I'm hoping that everything ends up being OK on Bindi. I'll be watching for updates.

I've been down the road you're on....about 4 times as a matter of fact. The important things to do are: #1 you might have to use an E-collar if she doesn't leave the tail alone to heal; #2 antibiotics are VERY HELPFUL to prevent the loss of even more tail; #3 if you see more black starting, GO BACK TO THE VET IMMEDIATELY.

I've never had any luck keeping a straw on their tail. It seems more of a "bother" to the baby, AND she might be MORE obsessed with trying to get the straw off. While it's healing, an E-collar will probably be your best bet.
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 02:37 PM

I'm sorry for your little one... frown I'm glad that you are able to get her in today. Make sure that they send you home with 'pain meds' (Torb is the best", 'antibiotics', and have an e-collar available just in case she decides to go after it.
How to make an e-collar
Sending lots of hugs and prayers.
hug2

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 02:42 PM

Can you tell me a number of a GREAT sugar glider vet that I can have her call if she has any questions about putting her under, ect....
She has never put a glider "under", but she has seen TONS of different small animals before, she had to aputate a quinea pigs back leg before and I know they are very touch and go under antisetia ( < spelling???).
I am so nervous about her going under anitsetia.

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 02:53 PM

click on links at the top of the page & go to vet database...start there! gl!

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 03:04 PM

Your vet can call mine: Dr. William Kerley, Anthony Animal Clinic---260/447-1558. He's my vet for suggies, and has used anesthesia before on A LOT of them.

I'm going to keep thinking VERY GOOD THOUGHTS for you!!! hug2

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 03:59 PM

Make sure they send you home with antibiotics as well. I had a glider that had to have it down twice. The first time they only gave me antibiotics for 5 days. The next time we did it so she had them for 3 weeks. She that time finally. The first time she was fine until after the antibiotics were done. Then it started dying again. GOOD LUCK!!
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 04:01 PM

Dr. Teresa Bradley

Belton Animal Hospital.
816.331.3120 · 816.322.7377 (fax) · info@beltonanimal.com

1308 N. Scott Avenue · Belton, MO 64012

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 04:52 PM

Thanks, I will write this down and take it with me!

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 08:53 PM

ok, I just got home from the vet, she gave her meds and pain meds. We made her an e collar. She is on baytril 2 times a day for 10 days and metacam 1 time a day for pain. The only problem is she can still get to her tail with the e collar on?
The vet wants to watch it and see how it does a couple of day if we can keep her from chewing on it, the end of the tail is dying off.
Do you think I could get some sort of material that is screen like to make a muzzled e collar, so she cant chew her tail? i would have to take it off a few times a day for her to eat and drink? Thats the only suggestion the vet gave me. The vet also gave me a cream to put on it, but I can only use it if I can find a way for her not to get to her tail, the cream won't hurt her, I'm just afraid it will give her diarreha if she licks it all off. She HATES this e collar!!! I was afraid I was going to choke her getting it tight enough to where she couldn't get it off! This is SO stressful!
She also wants me to keep her seprate from the others too, I'm so afraid this will stress her even more.

She is walking around all over me right now, she can't stand this! frown
Any other suggestions to help???

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 08:55 PM

How can she eat with this e collar on??
frown frown frown
I just gave her a yoggie and she can't figure out why see can't hold it?? frown

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 09:17 PM

???
Any suggestions on how to make this e collar better? We are about to go to Wal mart and I will run to Lowes or Home Depot if I need to, to get something to help with this e collar?!? And, do I need to but a certain kind of bowl that will make it easier for her to eat??
Posted By: Owndbymyfurballs

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 09:23 PM

It worries me that your vet didn't remove the dying end of the tail. It's very important that they do this so that it doesn't spread up the tail and kill off anymore tissue.

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 09:29 PM

His is her tail after the vet shaved it
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/Ryanmb3/ImportedPhotos00004.jpg
Posted By: tbull

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 09:32 PM

I'm also concerned that the vet didn't remove the dead tissue. Did she tell you why she didn't? Do you have a follow up appointment? Also did she give you an emergency number to call this weekend if things go wrong?

hug2 hug2 Hugs to both of you.

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 09:36 PM

Oh wow. I'd be calling that vet back asap and asking that the dead issue be removed.

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 09:37 PM

No, she didn't tell me why
She will be there tomm., she said if she wouldn't leave it alone that we could go ahead and remove it tomm. after hours, she closes at 1:00
Any hints on anything to add to the e collar so she can't ge to her tail & being able to eat better??

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 09:39 PM

I haven't ever had to use an ecollar for very long, so I'm no help there.

Please call your vet back. It's very important that the dead tissue is removed. If not it can spread up the tail and kill off even more of the currently healthy tissue. Not only that, but it can cause even bigger problems with your glider. Including sm (which the ecollar helps with), infection, pain, etc.

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 09:40 PM

They are closed now.
Do you think that these meds could make her drink a little more? I have been offering her water about evey 20 min, and she seems to drink a fair amount every time

Oh yeah, she tried to call those vets that I got the numbers for on here, and she said they were both on vacation and won't be back until next week, I don't know if that ment this Monday or The next week??

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 09:41 PM

I haven't had to use one ( knock on wood) but I have heard with injuries to the end of the tail, people get those big straws from Mc Donalds and cut a slit down them to put over the tail then tape it together somehow. Even with an ecollar they can still get to their tail, so it does need to be covered. Please call your vet first thing tomorrow and ask to have the end removed before it gets worse.

Also with ecollars, people use those long skinny bird feeders. I will try to find a picture for you.

I forgot to mention, with the ecollar and a straw on her tail, you will need to make some kind of big hammock or sleeping area. She will not be able to get in and out of a pouch well.

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 09:44 PM

When Takara had to have part of her tail removed I also used the straw trick. You have to be careful about how you do it though, because sometimes they're easy for the glider to pull off. It needs to be wrapped up fairly well, but not so tight that it cuts off the blood supply.

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 10:02 PM

Any pics of the bird feeder?
Posted By: gliderlover1

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 10:04 PM

I've heard of people using a straw to keep there gliders from getting to there tails. I'm not sure how they secure it though.
I don't know if anyone has said but when Mimzy was in the ecollar I put her food on a plate and she could get at it easier then. I also hand feed her a bit.
HTH

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 10:07 PM

I'm sorry your little one is having a difficult time with the ecollar. Here is a Discussion Link for new ecollar that might be of some help.

The McDonalds straw usually works pretty good as long as you make sure that it is on secure. The best way is to make sure it goes all the way up to the base of the tail (approximately 1/2" or so below the base.

I hope that you can get your baby back in to be rechecked tomorrow. Sending you tons of hugs and prayers for you baby.
Posted By: gliderlover1

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 10:15 PM

those pictures don't work.
I would love to see them.

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 10:17 PM

Please get her back to the vet asap in the morning. Im very concerned they didnot amputate already....
Ive had three done *sigh*
none of them were that bad either!

~hugs~

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 10:30 PM

Well, I called another vet that i sometimes see, who was off today, and left her a voice mail to please call me 1st thing in the morning. I explained some of the problem to her on the voice mail, maybe I should go back to her tomm instead??
I'm worried my other vet isn't researching into the gliders like I thought??

Sorry charmedwsugars, I'm not sure why the pics aren't coming up for you, they are throught photobucket!?!

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 10:42 PM

http://www.westcoastpetsupply.com/2/Hagen-2-Week-Seed-and-Water-Feeder/
I found a pic of those gravity feeders in their package!

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 10:46 PM

you may also want to check and see if your vet can give you some Collasate spray. It will help with the tail, it helps with pain as well as having a bitter taste to deter them from chewing (believe me, it's nasty, i got it on my fingers and didn't know, lol)

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 10:48 PM

ok, thank you all so much~ I'm going out (yes, Bindi is coming too, she is crashed in her sissy pouch right now so I will zip it up and be on our way!)and buying a few things to try and help Bindi be more comfy!!! I take more pics when I get home and post them!

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 10:51 PM

Someone once told me to put a straw a large straw in an e-pack. It's for the tails if needed to stop chewing or maybe if you're lucky to help use it in case of a break

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/18/08 11:24 PM

When I had to have Leilah's tail amputated I put a straw over it and wrapped it in gauze. The kind that sticks to itself. I made it a little bigger at the end so if she bit into it she would only bite gauze. How much of it can she grab? Maybe try making a thicker e-collar. Make the end (opposite of her neck) longer than it is currently? Also for feedings. The bird feeders that they have at PetSmart work well. They have skinny spouts that hang out so they can reach it. I couldn't use these because I had a pop up cage and it wouldn't hold. So, I ended up hand feeding for 3 months. If you can get those bird feeders it will really help. Make sure you see her eat out of them before you assume she is.

Also, I would definitely get her back to the vet. The tail wont fall off on it's own. Eventually the skin will fall off and it will be raw bone. I can't imagine this is too pleasant or fun for her. Not to mention it can spread up her tail and that would require more to be taken off.

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/19/08 12:46 AM

I agree with what has been said, the dead/dying tissue needs to be amputated. Also, I know this may sound sad, but not just the black part needs to be removed, it probably needs to be removed slightly above the very red/inflamed tissue, as from the picture it looks like it is dying (but I am not a vet, so I don't know what she will do). I would much rather have more of the tail removed now, though, than have it start dying off again because not enough was removed and end up losing the whole tail.

Are you using a shot glass e-collar or a satellite collar? If I recall correctly, the shot glass can be cut longer and can make it more difficult for them to reach their tail (not impossible for some gliders) but you will have to hand feed her.

Please do get her in tomorrow and have the dead tissue removed, if it continues to creep up her tail you could have even more problems and as BeckiT said, it could become systemic. worried

Thanks for letting us know how you two are doing. Hang in there. hug2

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/19/08 01:58 AM

Ok, I need help deciding what to do tomm.
I have to be at work at 7:00 AM, then I can leave by 10:00 when another manager comes in (but I'm going to talk to the vet at 8:00 when they open~I'm sure she can squeeze me in by 10:30 or so, Should I take Bindi to work with me (in her little cage) or just leave her here where she is comfortable (I already have had to seperate her from her family) and let my husband keep an eye on her while I'm at work a few hours?? I'm just afraid of her stressing, and now since she is alone, I'm sure that doesn't help!?!
What do you all think would be best for her???

And I have a few more pics, some are of me & Bindi after 45 min of trying to get the e collar on!! So, now I just went to the store and got stuff to make more, and with the mole padding (instead of the tape) to make it more comfy around her neck!!
Tail pics! These where just taken a couple of min ago.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/Ryanmb3/ImportedPhotos00008.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/Ryanmb3/ImportedPhotos00006.jpg

Bindi pics!! We were so happy to be finished!! AND it stayed!!!!! LOL
Bindi in her 1st "make shift" e collar!
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/Ryanmb3/ImportedPhotos00010.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/Ryanmb3/ImportedPhotos00012.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/Ryanmb3/ImportedPhotos00018.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/Ryanmb3/ImportedPhotos00014.jpg

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/19/08 02:15 AM

it doesn't look as inflamed as it did earlier, but I still worry about that dead at the end.

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/19/08 02:19 AM

Well, I don't think she has gotten to the tail since we left the vets office. I think just having the e collar on is distracting her from chewing on it!

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/19/08 02:58 AM

I'm afraid to go to sleep, what if she chews on her tail??
Any suggestions on what I should do tomm? Take her to work with me or not?
And should I bring her cage in my room and have her sleep next to the bed so I can check on her, or should I put her cage next to her cage mates??
Sorry for so many questions, I'm so nervous of what she may do?? She is hanging on the side of the cage eating right now.

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/19/08 02:59 AM

Anytime I have an injured or ill glider I keep their temp cage next to my bed. This is so that I can hear them if they start to sm, and so that I can easily check on them every few hours without getting out of bed.

What kind of job do you do? Is it one that wouldn't be stressful to her if you took her?

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/19/08 03:15 AM

Petstore, I'm very active~pretty high pace, I do animals maintance from 7:00AM to about 10:00AM. Then I will do odds and end things and help customers. We don't open till 9AM though, so I am hoping, if the vet can get her in early, I'm hoping to leave around 10/11ish.....????

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/19/08 03:48 AM

Were you able to get something on her tail? If not, as mentioned earlier, I would keep her close by so that you can watch and listen.
I hope that things will be ok for you and her tonight.
hug2

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/19/08 03:48 AM

Well, I'm going to have to try to go to bed now, I have to be up at 5:30AM. I will check back on here in the morning for any suggestions that you all may have about taking her to work or not? I still can't decide!?!?
I'm going to bring her in my room so she can sleep by me!
Thanks!! And goodnight!

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/19/08 03:50 AM

If you have a room at the store where you could keep her in a small carrier to where you can at least check on her periodically this should be ok. I'm sure you will feel better having her close by.

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/19/08 04:12 AM

*Jumps back out of bed, just after getting comfy*
Just remembered...Anyone else who knows the number to a really good vet, that has alot of glider experience, that I can have my vets call and reference to would be GREAT!!!! The other 2 vets I had gotten are out of town.
Thanks! Now I'm going to get back in bed....4 hours and counting til its time to get back up, whew~I'm going to be tired! lol

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/19/08 04:15 AM

OK, now that your back in Bed roflmao get some sleep young lady..... smirk
Here is a great vet you can have your vet call.
Dr.Tim Tristan at 361-994-1145 – Peggy Brewers Vet

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/19/08 02:34 PM

NEED HELP!!
Ok, I'm at the vets office and we are going to do the amputation at about 12:30, Do any of you have any numbers of vets that could be reached right now?? She in confident in doing the surgry (but has never done it?!?!), but is will to talk to any vets that may have already done this?? The last number that was givin to me has been disconnected. Any help asap would be wonderful!!!! Thanks
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/19/08 04:27 PM

I have no vets to suggest but I found this on here. I don't know where you are so you'll have to search. Good luck and keep us posted!
http://www.glidercentral.net/links/pages/Vets_Database/North_America/United_States/index.html

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/19/08 04:45 PM

Hope the surgery went well! hug2

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/19/08 06:13 PM

Just got back home!! Her surgery went well. She took off about 1 1/2 inches of her tail. I'm going to make her a bigger e collar, so hopefully, she won't be able to bother it!!
Thanks for everyones help!!!!

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/19/08 06:21 PM

poor little thing. Big hug2 s and heart to both of you.

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/19/08 06:26 PM

I'm so glad the surgery went well. Hopefully she is on her way to a (quick) full recovery!!! hug2

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/19/08 06:36 PM

Thank you so much, I am SO excited that she did so well!! We are both so tired now! lol
STRESSED!!! LOL
I stayed up until 2:30 AM with her, checked on her every hour, then had to get up at 5:30 AM to go to work! I'm so tired, but I'm afraid to go to sleep (then I keep telling myself that she will probaly stay asleep for a while now, just coming home from surgery and loaded up on pain meds??), what if she gets her tail!?!? I'm going to make her a larger e collar, but I don't want to be so tired when I make it, so I make it right the first time! smile lol
Maybe I will wait till my husband gets back home & have him babysit her instead of mowing the grass!?!

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/19/08 08:54 PM

I'm so happy to hear that her surgery went well. Was your vet able to consult with Dr. Tristen? I hope you can get the e collar made, get it on her , and get some rest!!!!

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/20/08 05:41 AM

The number I got for Dr. Tristen was disconnected??
Thanks for everything though, hopefully her recovery will be short, sweet, and simple so she can go back with her cagemates!!

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/21/08 12:54 AM

How's she doing? There are several of us here, myself included, who have had gliders that have had to undergo this same surgery. If you have any questions just let us know. smile

Btw...did your vet send you home with any pain meds for your little girl? That should help a lot!

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/21/08 01:14 AM

I'm so sorry that my vet was on vacation...he's been taking longer "vacations" hereadays. It's truly worrying me that I'm going to have a GENUINE emergency and he'll be inaccessible.

To make matters worse, I wasn't on board at all yesterday...I could've had you call the "back-up vets office" & maybe have gotten some input from them, even though there's only 2 of the 4 vets who have working glider knowledge.

I'm hoping that things are improving today. You'll have to watch and make sure that no more of the tail-end dies off. An update will be most welcome.

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/21/08 01:59 AM

Well, So far so good!!! Besides not sleeping but 3 hours Friday night and about 3 hours Saturday night (off and on both nights of course!!), we are doing well!!
I took her pouch out of her cage though, frown I noticed when she gets into the pouch (and yes, with her e collar on) she tends to curl up (best she can lol) and then she can get to her tail!! She got to it 2 times today, but thankfully, didn't even mess with it!! She just had the end of it curled up in front of her face. I get VERY scared when I see her with her tail up to her face, I'm afraid she is chewing on it!! The tail itself looks awsome!!! Seems to be healing great, so far. She just has a few stiches at the tip. She is on Baytil 2 times a day and Metacam, for pain, 1 time a day. I have been trying to give her the pain med at night, so it is in full force when she is awake!?!
I caught myself taking pics at about 5:30 AM this morning (yes still awake, lying in bed watching her in her cage!!) taking pics of her! LOL

This is a pic of how she likes to eat the best with her e collar on!! lol
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/Ryanmb3/ImportedPhotos00019.jpg

*Bindi whispers* Mom.... mom, are you awake??
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/Ryanmb3/ImportedPhotos00020.jpg

With those sad puppy dog eyes, I know, I can't sleep either!
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/Ryanmb3/ImportedPhotos00021.jpg

Bindi's tail as of tonight 4/20/08
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/Ryanmb3/ImportedPhotos00023.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/Ryanmb3/ImportedPhotos00024.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/Ryanmb3/ImportedPhotos00025.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/Ryanmb3/ImportedPhotos00026.jpg

Posted By: pepperboy

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/21/08 02:07 AM

I Feal Bad For The Girl

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/21/08 02:21 AM

It looks like it's healing nicely! Keep an eye on the end of it for signs of her chewing...it looks like there are a couple stitches on the tip, so you'll know pretty well if she starts picking at it.

I wish you a better night of sleep tonight. Looks like the worst of it is behind you for now.

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/21/08 02:59 AM

She sure does look alot better! Thank you for the update and pictures! Your doing a fantastic job and as minkasmom said the worst is behind you. I hope you will be able to start getting some rest.

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/21/08 03:38 AM

You've done a great job with her, no wonder she is starting to heal so quickly! hug2

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/21/08 03:56 AM

oh wow it looks great! so much better then before! you've done an awesome job with her!
Posted By: ozzi

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/21/08 09:57 PM

What a wonderful devotion you have for Bindi, and what a sweet looking glider. I am like the slave to end all slaves to my 2 guys and I would have it no other way agree .
I wish you both the best of luck. Sounds like it will all turn out just fine.
Pat

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/24/08 02:48 AM

Newest tail pics!!
Just wanted to show you all her tail today. I'm not sure if this is just part of the healing, or if she may have licked on it some?? It just seems a little scabbed on the end? Should it have a little scab if its healing with the stiches in? I know she has gotten to her tail some, she has messed with the stiches a little? Its not bad, but I just wanted your opinions!! I'm going to call the vet tomm. I just put some of the "Heal X soother Plus" cream on it while I have her out~the vet gave it to me! Any opinions would be great! Sorry for so many photos, its hard to get a good shot of what I'm seeing, lol

4/23/08
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/Ryanmb3/ImportedPhotos00027.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/Ryanmb3/ImportedPhotos00028.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/Ryanmb3/ImportedPhotos00029.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/Ryanmb3/ImportedPhotos00030.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/Ryanmb3/ImportedPhotos00031.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/Ryanmb3/ImportedPhotos00032.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/Ryanmb3/ImportedPhotos00033.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/Ryanmb3/ImportedPhotos00034.jpg

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/24/08 03:06 AM

Stella has a little scab on the end of her tail that looks almost exactly like that (only my vet didn't use stitches) wink I've not had to have her in a collar though because she's not messing with it due to the collasate spray (that stuff is gross! lol)

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/24/08 12:18 PM

Yes it is normal... when SImba got his tail amputated i was so paranoid ( i think that is the reason why the vet hates me LMAO)

but i remember seing that crust and calling him every 10 minutes... He always assured me it was ok... you will even see some stitches out,, but thats normal too.. unless it starts bleeding... My vet put a whole bunch of protection on the tip (clear bandaids and regular ones) in case he wanted to chew on it.. Simba forgot the bandais was there... and he healed beautifully......

My stumpy little simba is still so handsome!!!!!!!

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/30/08 02:54 AM

Just an update on little "Miss Bindi Boo"
She is doing well!! Everything is healing up great! The vet said that it can take 2-3 weeks for the stiches to dissolve, and we are on day 10! I hate to have to keep her in her e-collar that long! tant
So......we give her breaks when we can watch her EXTRA close!! So tonight, after bathing herself for a couple of hours, she LOVES to sleep without the e-collar! I snapped these pics of her snoozing~ oh so cute! cloud9

Bindi
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/Ryanmb3/ImportedPhotos00042.jpg

Close up!
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/Ryanmb3/ImportedPhotos00043-1.jpg

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/30/08 02:57 AM

Aww! I'm glad to hear she's doing well! Those pictures are just too cute (and I love the cage set).

Are the stitches starting to dissolve? I know the ones my dog had years ago ended up having to be removed because they wouldn't dissolve. -Sigh- I'd watch them close and talk to the vet if they aren't gone by the 3 week mark.

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/30/08 03:11 AM

Yes, the stiches seem to be dissolving!
Now that I think about it, she can still get to her tail with the e collar on, do you all think I should still keep it on her? She still curls up like she is in the picture, with her e-collar on, her head and neck are just proped up. Do you think I could give her a night off, she sleeps beside my bed still, so I can keep an eye on her? I kinda think she will just sleep all night since she is so much more comfortable?
She only REALLY tried to get to her tail if I put that Collasate spray on it, she didn't like the taste of it, but I could tell it drove her nuts!! lol
confused

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/30/08 03:12 AM

Personally *I* would leave it off during the day, but keep it on at night or when you can't be RIGHT THERE...or have her on you.

My Takara had a similar injury due to another glider in the cage, and she also had part of her tail removed due to it. I kept her in the collar for quite awhile...but my vet used glue instead of stitches.

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/30/08 03:14 AM

Well, since she has had the e collar on, she is awake alot during the day. I don't think she sleeps well with it on?!?
She is asleep right now. She has been up alot today. She just went to sleep about an hour ago!
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/30/08 03:29 AM

The only way you should remove the ecollar is if you are right there watching her. Don't trust her to make any self mutilating noises and wake you. With tail injuries, atleast the ones I've dealt with, the gliders never made a sound.

Tomorrow, if you can, you can take a peice of fleece about 12-14 inches square and wrap her like a burrito where she can't reach her tail (take off the collar of course). Then you can tuck her in your shirt where you can feel her if she moves to get to her tail. Odds are, she will just sleep.
Posted By: GliderLove

Re: Injured tail???!!!??? - 04/30/08 03:29 AM

It looks really good to me. Popeye had his tail done about 6 weeks ago and his looked the same way and even had scabbed on the tip a bit too. We had glue, not stitches too though. She looks so peaceful sleeping! Poor girl..the road only gets easier now though!!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL