GliderCENTRAL

e-collar problems and sm

Posted By: mommawannabe

e-collar problems and sm - 10/10/07 01:05 PM

Okay need some advice dang vet is closed today. This morning it looked like to me that Sydneys face was swollen. I decided to take the e-collar off and clean him up a bit. I found that his poor little neck was rubbed raw from the vets ecollar. I tried to put the one on that Jen sent me. I couldn't do it by myself. I got him settled down and it looked like he was going to sleep so I loaded him in the car to bring him to work with me. I have a friend that has been helping me while I have him at work. So about half way there I notice he is down at the incision site. I pull over and nab him up. Sure enough he has pulled the scab off. It looks okay though and isn't oozing or bleeding. What I was wondering is can I put neosporine on it? I did get the collar on and he is sleeping now. I just don't want to take a chance of him getting an infection. He just finished up his antibiotics yesterday. I am not cetain his face is swollen either because he is on the fluffy side. Any advice would be greatly appreciate.

Anna
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: e-collar problems and sm - 10/10/07 02:57 PM

yes you can put neosporin on it. just make sure its the kind WITHOUT pain relief. I say try and get the e-collar back on him just use some tape or something to pad it. and get him to the vet as soon as you can.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: e-collar problems and sm - 10/10/07 04:27 PM

You can use the neosporin with pain relief so long as he is not able to get to it. If it appears that the would has been reopened or is red/raw looking - take him back to the vet. How long was he on antibiotics for?

Were you able to get the collar that Jen sent you on? Those collars are awesome and don't cause as much discomfort since the molefoam adds extra padding.

When my gliders were in their collar - I would take time during the day to take the collar off and give them a little massage to relieve some of the discomfort. But NEVER unsupervised or during times when you are unable to hold them. I also would not recommend taking the collar off unless you are comfortable putting the collar back on should he start going after the site.

Where does his face look swollen? Is his nose still a nice pink color?

HTH and best wishes for your little one hug2

Re: e-collar problems and sm - 10/10/07 04:31 PM

Thanks for responding. I do have the ecollar on that Jen sent. She is absolutely awesome. I had help here at work. Tonight hubby will help me. No the site does not look red or raw. Aparently he just pulled the scab off. I just want to make sure it doesn't get infected. No he cannot get to the site. Again thanks for the response it is much appreciated!!

Anna
Posted By: LSardou

Re: e-collar problems and sm - 10/10/07 05:36 PM

hug2 Hang in there! I think you will only need to worry for another couple of days. Here is a link on a discussion that took place a few days ago, in there , minkasmom had suggested another type of ecolar. This might be something to consider for the next few days.
I hope that all is well so far today, that little bugger...they sure keep us on our toes!
New Ecolar discussion link
Sending you lots of hugs and prayers. hug2

Re: e-collar problems and sm - 10/10/07 08:30 PM

bump

Re: e-collar problems and sm - 10/10/07 08:33 PM

Thanks L, going to try to find those bandages. I just think that would do better for him. He is kind of hefty and had a heck of a time putting the ecollar on.

Anna

Re: e-collar problems and sm - 10/10/07 08:41 PM

thumb I hope everything works out alright. Please keep us posted.... hug2
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL