GliderCENTRAL

I am so scared for Spencer....

Posted By: Cora

I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 02:26 AM

I am so scared . Spencer and Stretch got the damn snap undone on one of the straps early this morning, do you hear me, they got a SNAP undone [censored]!!!!! He tore himself up good between 230 am and 7 am when Ronnie got up. its time to pray and pray hard. I believe I see his bladder or colon. I will know first thing, I am keeping him doped up and in my bra, course he eats anything I give him. I am taking him in at 730. Also getting his teeth pulled if the vet thinks we can save him. :```(

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 02:26 AM

Bottom incisors
Posted By: Feather

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 02:39 AM

Oh Cora! I am so sorry to hear this!

Prayers going out for little Spencer and you.
Posted By: Johannasgliders

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 02:45 AM

I'm so sorry! I will pray for you and baby
Posted By: hwh4ev

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 02:46 AM

praying for spencer. you and spencer have been thru the wringer. sending you hugs.

praying,
nancy in detroit
Posted By: BlackDrappa

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 02:54 AM

Oh no! *hugs* praying for you and Spencer!!!
Posted By: Jackie_Chans_Mom

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 02:56 AM

Oh no Cora!! I'm praying for sure.
Posted By: minkasmom

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 02:58 AM

Cora, I'm about beside myself with worry.

I feel like somehow the Committee in my head has failed both you and Spencer....something we've overlooked, something DIFFERENT that could be done....ANYTHING at this point! cry cry

Praying so hard for both of you, and that the vet can help. hug2 hug2
Posted By: ssdreamsicles

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 03:08 AM

Ill keep spencer and you in my thoughts. Im so very sorry this has happend. *hugs*

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 03:08 AM

You and the committee are fine Denise, we can all blame ourselves but in the end its Spencer not us trying to do himself in. Please know that I blame no one! If the vet shakes his head Spencer will be railroaded to Houston. DavidW already said he would meet me in buffalo if I keep him updated. Mary is standing by as well as Simone, Mary's Friend that Spencer has won over over the years. smile
Posted By: AmandaSnyder

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 03:16 AM

Im sry to hear this i have seen all you threads about him and yall have been threw alot and i know hes your baby,im sure he will be okay and im praying for him.Maybe just maybe you will get a christmas miracle.Keep us posted
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 03:23 AM

Spencer baby! You just gotta stop worrying your mommy and us! Now you be a good boy and heal fast!

Cora, hang in there hon! We're all sending prayers and positive thoughts your way!
Posted By: lilangels

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 03:30 AM

Cora I'm so sorry. You and spencer are in my thoughts and prayers.
Posted By: nancy1202

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 03:55 AM

I am so sorry Cora. upset Healing thoughts are being sent for Spencer. hug2

Originally Posted By: minkasmom
I feel like somehow the Committee in my head has failed both you and Spencer...
I have no doubt that the committee in your head has about brainstormed itself out trying to find the perfect, inescapable, but comfortable solution. This was NOT a failure, but rather two VERY determined little guys.

I don't know exactly what Spencer's jacket looks like, or what kind of snaps, but do you think the side-release buckles like those on small dog collars could work? Here are some on Amazon.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 03:59 AM

At the risk of sounding insensitive, do you think maybe it's just his time? He's been through so much. He does not have the understanding of pain like us humans. All he knows is it's there and he wants it gone and is doing what HE can/knows.

Maybe just assist and allow him to go over the rainbow bridge? I just can't imagine prolonging his apparent suffering more than what's already occurred.
Posted By: tacasper

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 04:07 AM

My thoughts and prayers are with you. The two of you have been through so much!
Posted By: Kryssidog

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 04:38 AM

I will thinking about Spencer, you and Stretch tonight. I will also be keeping the prayers going until further notice. Keep us posted as you can.
Posted By: tbull

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 05:17 AM

Healing thoughts coming your way. hug2 hug2
Posted By: Dancing

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 05:54 AM

Megs, with most gliders, I'd probably agree with you. Spencer is different.

Cora, my thoughts and prayers are with you and Spencer. I'd say if it stops him, have ALL his teeth pulled!
Posted By: glidrz5

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 06:52 AM

Praying hard for Spencer! He is a very special boy and he is a fighter.

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 07:20 AM

Thank y'all so much I will keep you updated as I can.
Posted By: the gliders angel

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 08:38 AM

cora im praying for his fast recovery. hes pulled thru many times. dont lose faith im sure he will be fine since he is in your hands, he is lucky he has you as his mom.
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 01:21 PM

So terribly sorry to hear this, Cora. Sending thoughts your way. hug2
Posted By: yiyo

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 01:56 PM

hug2 hug2 hug2

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 05:54 PM

Still thinking about little Spencer this morning.
Posted By: danileigh

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 06:00 PM

oh my gosh that is dreadful my thoughts are with you

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 06:08 PM

Got a text from Cora that Spence is in surgery, getting his lower incisors removed. She said that the vet thinks his bottom will heal if she can keep his mouth off it.

I'm sure there are others with much better updates but thought I'd pass it along...
Posted By: nancy1202

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 06:42 PM

Awwww, poor Spencer. frown Is there something wrong with his incisors or are they being removed to keep him from chewing on himself?
Posted By: wclanton423

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 07:03 PM

Cora, I feel deeply for you. Really I do, but when is enough enough? Poor Spencer has been in pain for YEARS. He's self mutilated for YEARS, He's been in e-collars and e-jackets for YEARS. And now he is getting some of his teeth removed so he can't attack what has been hurting him for YEARS. How is this humane? I know Spencer means the world to you but this seems to be becoming more about what Cora wants than what Spencer needs. I feel so badly for Spencer. It kills me that once AGAIN he has to suffer and heal...until he self mutilates AGAIN.

I'm sorry, I had to say it. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 07:23 PM

Whitney and all those that have these same thoughts/feelings, I understand very well and there is part of me that agrees with you.

But I live in constant pain and have for almost 20 years now. It is a pain the doctors can't really explain so they call it Fibromyalgia. They can't cure it, they can't really help it at all. It was so bad that there was a time I was confined to a wheel chair because it just hurt to much to even walk to the bathroom.

Now if humans can have such conditions like Fibromyalgia, who's to say other animals can't as well?

The pain does not have to be terminal and it doesn't mean there is no quality to life. And I hope that my husband doesn't get tired of helping me through the pain and has me euthanized.

Spencer is DIFFERENT. It is the quality of his life that Cora looks at. How he is when he ISN"T chewing. The love he gives her and his mate. The joys he finds in life. And only Cora can decide WHEN that quality of life is no longer there for Spencer. (Same for Val and Jackie Chan). These are not "typical" gliders at all.

I know both Cora and Val have wondered the same thing about their gliders that we do. "Am I being selfish" and the truth is, they live with these special gliders every day and they are the only ones that can decide. And I believe when "the time" comes, they will know and do what is right for their glider. But again, only they can know when that is.
Posted By: mary h

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 07:34 PM

Spencer is a very special baby (I say that about a lot of them)...I love gliders.
Spencer has times when he's normal and he loves life and humans.
To anyone out there with thoughts...conversation with others...or helpful hints...Spencer will NEVER be put down.
You are not God...I am not God...Cora is not God...the vets sre not God. Glider owners and vets are here to help them.
How sad it would be if he were put down and somewhere down the line we find a reason and a treatment? In my opinion putting one down is giving up...thats not in my book.
When people come on here with health problems...help them if you can. True friends NEVER turn thier backs on friends
In 17 years I've had more than my share of mutilators...I never had one put down. I never let them suffer.
Be Spencers friend...believe in him...pray for a cure to help him.

He loves humans...could any of you look him in the eye and say die. They don't put humans down.

Mary

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 07:36 PM

i am so glad he will heal. thats great news i new things would look up with a good mom like you. and the right vet. cant wait for more good news.

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Dancing
Whitney and all those that have these same thoughts/feelings, I understand very well and there is part of me that agrees with you.

But I live in constant pain and have for almost 20 years now. It is a pain the doctors can't really explain so they call it Fibromyalgia. They can't cure it, they can't really help it at all. It was so bad that there was a time I was confined to a wheel chair because it just hurt to much to even walk to the bathroom.

Now if humans can have such conditions like Fibromyalgia, who's to say other animals can't as well?

The pain does not have to be terminal and it doesn't mean there is no quality to life. And I hope that my husband doesn't get tired of helping me through the pain and has me euthanized.

Spencer is DIFFERENT. It is the quality of his life that Cora looks at. How he is when he ISN"T chewing. The love he gives her and his mate. The joys he finds in life. And only Cora can decide WHEN that quality of life is no longer there for Spencer. (Same for Val and Jackie Chan). These are not "typical" gliders at all.

I know both Cora and Val have wondered the same thing about their gliders that we do. "Am I being selfish" and the truth is, they live with these special gliders every day and they are the only ones that can decide. And I believe when "the time" comes, they will know and do what is right for their glider. But again, only they can know when that is.

It's different Teresa. As I mentioned in my above post, humans can UNDERSTAND. They understand they're in pain, even if the cause cannot be found. They understand not to take a butcher knife to themselves. They don't attempt to gnaw themselves apart. Animals do not have the capabilities to understand. Never have, never will.

Spencer is no more different that any of my gliders. Granted he has taught us a LOT about SM, but I think it's time to say his years of suffering and teaching should be through. Taking his teeth out, which will only cause another source of constant pain and discomfort, but this time every time he eats, is, imo, when it's time to say ENOUGH.

I dread the day I lose a glider, and I sure as hell hope to NEVER have to make the decision to put one of them down. But if I see them in a bad way, that can never be undone, and thus the only way they can be prevented from attacking themselves is through contraptions in which they will have to wear for the entirety of their being, it's time to say 'I love you. But I love you enough to say goodbye for YOUR sake'.

I'm not trying to be some harsh meanie pants but good lord.

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 08:20 PM

Mary you are wrong. Humans commit suicide every day due to some pain or other. Even when those pains are literally temporary and curable.

And assisted suicide. Utah, North Carolina and Wyoming do not criminalize assisted suicide. Neither does Ohio. In Oregon and Washington it is completely legal and physicians are legally allowed to assist in the person's endeavor to die pain free.

And again, humans have the ability to understand.

If Spencer or any other animal out there understood why they are in a permanent, constant pain, incurable at that, they would not attack it.

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Megs

It's different Teresa. As I mentioned in my above post, humans can UNDERSTAND. They understand they're in pain, even if the cause cannot be found. They understand not to take a butcher knife to themselves. They don't attempt to gnaw themselves apart. Animals do not have the capabilities to understand. Never have, never will.

Don't be to sure about that. How many children/teens/adults "cut" themselves because they are in pain? Should we euthanize them? How many times was I suicidal because of the pain? Should I have been euthanized? To this day I don't understand WHY I'm in pain all the time.

Spencer is no more different that any of my gliders. Granted he has taught us a LOT about SM, but I think it's time to say his years of suffering and teaching should be through. Taking his teeth out, which will only cause another source of constant pain and discomfort, but this time every time he eats, is, imo, when it's time to say ENOUGH.

ARE all your gliders exactly the same? Mine are all different. Each one has a totally different personality. Saying they are all the same is like saying every human female is exactly like Mother Teresa. It just isn't that way. I know of a few gliders that are completely toothless and are doing JUST fine. They are NOT in constant pain. They eat their foods, and not all are pureed either. I don't have teeth at all and I'm not in constant pain though I was before they were pulled.

I dread the day I lose a glider, and I sure as hell hope to NEVER have to make the decision to put one of them down. But if I see them in a bad way, that can never be undone, and thus the only way they can be prevented from attacking themselves is through contraptions in which they will have to wear for the entirety of their being, it's time to say 'I love you. But I love you enough to say goodbye for YOUR sake'.

I have had to put down some of my gliders. I have lost way more than I ever wanted to and I'm sure I'll be loosing more in the next couple of years because of the number of "old timers" I have living with me. This year alone I had to say goodbye to my first two gliders after having them with me for over 12 years. I've also had to have other animals put down over the years, some to old age and others to cancer and such and it is NEVER easy. Some of my dogs, people would condemn me for having done it, others for waiting so long to have it done. What I'm saying is YOU don't know Spencer. You don't see into his eyes. He is not with you to tell you "It's time". He is with Cora and until he tells HER, it is NOT for anyone else to judge. Telling someone to kill their animal does NOT help them. It only adds to their pain. Trust me, Cora has already thought and felt everything you are saying.

I'm not trying to be some harsh meanie pants but good lord.

You do have the right to your thoughts and feelings about this but right now, Cora and Spencer need our thoughts and prayers(if you are the praying type). Not added pain and stress.
Posted By: DirtyPaws

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 08:38 PM

He's awake! He's awake! He's out of surgery & waking up ~ well @ least 30 min. ago thanks to my slow computer.

The good Lord & Spencer's doctor both do not feel it is Spencer's time to go. heart

His bottom teeth have been loose & Cora had spoke to her dr. about this surgery before. She was assuming he would need surgery for his sm wound & asked to go ahead & remove them @ this time. Ends up he did not do as much damage as she thought.

For those of you who prayed, whatever you prayed for, this is what we got. He lived through the night & surgery. grin

For those of you who do not live w/Spencer you do not know his quality of life. You do not hear & see how happy he is. You do not see that he is not in pain & sm-ing daily. You do not see that he is more normal than not.

Cora came here asking for our prayers. I ask that you keep praying for continued healing & a full recovery & that they may truly be able to heal him completely.

I can only hope that this post does not get out of hand & hateful as I'm sure not a day goes by that Cora doesn't evaluate Spencer's quality of life & pray she's doing right by HIM.
Posted By: mary h

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 08:39 PM

...no Meg I am not wrong. Humans kill them selves...its thier choice. Yes there are times they have a doctors help...it is still thier choice. How many times do people go to the hospitol for help and the dr. says I can't help them...put them down?????

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 08:42 PM

YEA SPENCER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crystal that is such FANTASTIC NEWS! Prayers continue for Spencer and Cora.

And Mary....((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 08:47 PM

That's wonderful news about Spencer's surgery, especially that he isn't as bad as originally thought! Way to go Spenny!!!
Posted By: tootles

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 08:49 PM

Prayers to you and spencer. This is Cora's decision on how to care for her glider. I railroaded spencer to Mary once and I can say he was a very love able happy glider in spite of what he was going through. I may agree with some of your opinions but it's noone's place to say how she should handle this. It's her choice she asked for prayers and help not opinions at the moment.

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: tootles
Prayers to you and spencer. This is Cora's decision on how to care for her glider. I railroaded spencer to Mary once and I can say he was a very love able happy glider in spite of what he was going through. I may agree with some of your opinions but it's noone's place to say how she should handle this. It's her choice she asked for prayers and help not opinions at the moment.

thumb clap :agreed:
Posted By: JazzNZoeysMom

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 09:02 PM

Congratulations! So happy things are looking up.

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 09:04 PM

If hateful is what my thoughts have been seen as, I question your reading comprehension. I've been nothing but remorseful to this situation. I spent a lot of time thinking about this prior to my initial response. It's hard to not have a favorite with my gliders. So I think of my princess, my momma's girl and think of her being in this situation.

It literally brought tears to my eyes. I love her so damn much it hurts thinking of losing her, which I know one day I will. It's inevitable. But if this were my situation, I know what I would do because, IMO, it's what's right.

I don't pray, but I do keep others in mind and send good vibes, and I have done as such for Cora and Spencer.

I will continue to do as such.

And yes, it's Cora's decision what to do, and she didn't ask opinions. But in a public forum, opinions tend to be posted whether or not they're asked for.

Again, I cannot stress this enough. I have been and will continue to send good vibes their way and keep them in my thoughts.

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 09:08 PM

Thank you Tracy. Everyone does have a right to their opinions & I ment to mention it above. Some opinions I agree with, some I do not. I would certainly never pray to keep an animal alive who was in daily pain.

BUT until you've met & evaluated the glider (any glider for that matter) in question, your opinion is what? Until you've observed him in his home eating, playing, interacting with his cagemate & humans, WHAT IS YOUR OPINION?

Edit: I said I hoped it didn't get out of hand & hateful. Never described anyone as such.

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 09:18 PM

Yes I understand. And like I said, IF my thoughts have been seen as hateful. This is saying that though it has not been voiced that my opinions are hateful, if one sees them as such, they need help with their reading comprehension skills.

That's all. No reason to read more into it than that.
Posted By: MissSarah

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 09:30 PM

I don't think you're being perceived as "hateful", just insensitive. I understand you're train of thought, but I believe Cora is more than competent enough to make an appropriate choice for a glider in her care.

Cora, I'll keep your little Spencer in my thoughts. hug2

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 09:31 PM

Woo Hoo! Way to go Spencer!

Prayers continuing to go out to Spencer and Cora!

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By: MissSarah
I don't think you're being perceived as "hateful", just insensitive. I understand you're train of thought, but I believe Cora is more than competent enough to make an appropriate choice for a glider in her care.

Cora, I'll keep your little Spencer in my thoughts. hug2

Well.. I DID say in my first post 'at the risk of sounding insensitive'. XD
Posted By: tootles

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 10:02 PM

Meg please this is a post for prayer. Please this post should be focused on prayer help period. When it comes to requests for prayer most take them very seriously I for one know I do. Let's not turn this post to something else. Glad to hear he is doing better Cora. Prayers sent for spencer.

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 10:03 PM

This thread is about sending thoughts and prayers to Spencer and Cora and for her to give us updates on how her little guy is doing. Nothing more. Everyone can have their thoughts and opinions on how they would like for this to play out. However, that takes us down a completely different path and it's not right for anyone to judge Cora or her decisions, especially while she and Spence are dealing with this issue. This is not the time, nor the place to do so.

I'll ask that everyone keep in mind Rule #4 and adhere to it. It would be terribly sad if we had to lock a thread over something so trivial.

Quote:
4. GliderCENTRAL is a family oriented board moving towards a "PG" rather than a "G" rating. Be polite, courteous and respectful to other board members at all times. This means illegal substances, illegal activities, flaming, sexually explicit subjects, spamming, harassing, policing, diet bashing, and abusive or negative personal posts are not allowed. Posts and sometimes entire topics that contain such content will be removed, and the poster(s) may be warned, suspended or banned at the discretion of the board administrators. Abuse, flaming or inappropriate comments directed toward GliderCENTRAL, its Moderators and Administrators, or failure to comply with the direction of a Moderator or Administrator, the poster(s) may be warned, suspended or banned at the discretion of the board administrators. Please keep any personal matters off the board. Take it to email or PM. Please keep in mind that board rules do apply when using the PM feature.

Thank you.
Posted By: rach

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 10:18 PM

Glad Spencer made it thru surgery. I hope he is up gliding around soon.

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 10:20 PM

cora i new right from the start spencer would be fine. God is watching over you both, and would not let you down just as he didnt let me down with destiny a couple of yrs ago. now you can cheer up things will only get better from now on out. i no just how you feel ive walked in your shoes. i didnt give up either. and won with my baby.

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 10:21 PM

Cora just scooped him up & she's on the road back home with her boy mlove
Posted By: JeremysDad

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 10:22 PM

I am not trying to be rude, but why did he have to wait til this morning to go to the vet? I was told as a newbie to always have an e vet, and I would think so with spencer's history. If my timeline is right, he waited ten hours for help?

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 10:24 PM

I hope Cora doesn't have to see all the mess above and someone and just tell her about the support and love from the community for little Spencer.

I've been thinking about this little man all night and all day today. Happy to hear he is out of surgery and on the path to recovery. I see a few sleepless nights for mommy but a hopefully a very happy little Spencer in the very near future!!!

Keep on keep'in on little man!! hug2
Posted By: MelindaKay

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 10:26 PM

Until you are in Cora's shoes you will never understand. She is a hospice nurse and knows very well the signs of death and how to handle his situation. Her money and her fight and I will stand beside her whatever her decisions are and hope we can learn to help others in the future. I have seen Spencer many many times in person and believe me when I say he is NOT a glider ready to be put down...he's here for a reason.
Posted By: LSardou

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 10:32 PM

Dear Cora, My heart, and my prayers are there with you in full force. I have 100% faith and belief in Spencer having a full recovery. He's a stubborn little fella, but he knows that whatever is happening is not something that he chooses, he is only responding to a natural instinct towards an annoying pain that causes a deep frustration.

You are one of the best mommies I know of, and for that, Spencer will continue to fight and get through this for the sake of love. hug2

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 10:39 PM

Cora, I've been thinking about Spencer and Riker. I have a theory about Riker (unable to prove but still).

Like Spencer, he sm'd for years and had to live in an ecollar. Then he just stopped.

Perhaps the last time he sm'd, he "solved the problem" (bad nerve ending or whatever) and that is why he hasn't done it again. While Jen has to stay on guard because there is always the chance he will do it again, Riker is a very happy and loving glider and I'm so glad that Jen never gave up on him.

I pray that this time Spencer "solved the problem" and will now be like Riker.

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 10:53 PM

I'm almost DROWNING in tears of joy!!! :yes: :lshower: :hdance:

I've avoided checking into GC all day for the news that might be waiting here...my soul simply COULD NOT withstand any less-than-miraculous news.

Thank you St. Francis for watching over these souls.....they mean SO MUCH to many of us!

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 11:05 PM

Originally Posted By: DirtyPaws
Cora just scooped him up & she's on the road back home with her boy mlove

Great news!

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: JeremysDad
I am not trying to be rude, but why did he have to wait til this morning to go to the vet? I was told as a newbie to always have an e vet, and I would think so with spencer's history. If my timeline is right, he waited ten hours for help?

Not rude at all - it's a good question! You're right - we encourage ALL glider owners to get to the vet if they suspect anything is wrong. Cora has dealt with this issue with Spencer for several years and has much experience with it. She has protocols put into place to ensure he's well taken care of and in this case, he was.

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 11:38 PM

Cora, I am keeping little Spencer in my thoughts and prayers. My Stewie had a similar incident last night but his was too severe and he wasn't able to make it and crossed over the rainbow bridge. I know the fear and stress you are going through right now. I also know some of Spencer's history from our past conversations. He is a VERY strong little man and has a strong will to live! I don't think he's ready to cross over the rainbow bridge just yet. I feel he will make it through this and adapt just has he has in the past. I think the doctor made a good educated decision to remove his teeth. If he thought Spencer would suffer and it wouldnt improve his quality of life then he wouldnt have done it. He's already a special boy and he will just be even more special, and spoiled rotten!

I will keep both of you in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted on how your little man is doing.

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 11:53 PM

It's clear that people see what I've said as insensitivity and lack of understanding. It couldn't be farther from reality.

I certainly do not ever intend to hurt the feelings of others, but alas. I've been called cold, and maybe so. I am trying so hard to look at this with an open mind.

At the end of the day I hope for nothing for the best. I send good vibes and well wishes, fully. It truly pains me when a glider is hurt, regardless of how it happened, regardless of the extent. Try as I might not to have a favorite glider, I can't help it; Jynx is my favorite. I love her dearly, with my heart and soul and we 'click'. She favors me, and vice versa.

I treat her no differently than my other gliders, especially when it comes to health care.

I simply cannot imagine ever being in Cora's shoes. I don't know how she's remaining so calm and level headed, but major props in her doing so. I'd be an emotional wreck and wouldn't be able to think straight. The torment of my baby would be all I could think about. Forget work, school, cooking, housekeeping.

Again, I give Cora props to the fullest extent. Again, I do not pray in the sense that it is known. Rather I send good vibes and well wishes, and I am doing just that in this case, and will continue to do so.

In no way do I mean to hurt feelings. All feelings are precious, even moreso when the person is already hurting.
Posted By: Jackie_Chans_Mom

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 11:55 PM

I'm thrilled that Spencer is on the mend.

I have to say - as a person who stands in similar shoes from time to time - I can't imagine how hurtful it would be to Cora to read some of these posts on today of all days.
I have heard it all a million times for Jackie and recently for Trinket and Triscuit as well. Perhaps that is why these babies end up in the hands they are in. I believe that. My standards for when it is time to euthanize are different from Cora's. I believe that is why God placed Spencer in her hands.

We all think about these things. We all wonder what we would do in her shoes. We all have different standards. There is nothing wrong with wondering it. But perhaps we could learn to be more sensitive in our TIMING. I know that when I am in the midst of a freak out about something going on with one of my babies, any negative thing seems so much more harsh or hurtful than it might another time. Everything is amplified - and that includes Cora's fear and worry at this time.

In my work, I teach that the time for teaching appropriate behavior is not during the midst of a behavioral episode. And the time when someone is in the midst of a crisis is not the time to try to enlighten them or to change their opinions. A time of crisis is when we stand beside them, love them through their decisions (no matter what we think of them) and be a pilar of strength for them to lean on when needed. That is what we should be for Cora right now.

** sorry - down off my soap box now. This just really hit a cord with me today **

Cora and Spencer - I'm praying for pain free evenings and days to come - both for Spencer's body and for Cora's heart.
Posted By: MIbabe

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/19/11 11:59 PM

Yayyyy glad Spencer made it through the surgery and is able to go home! I have been thinking of Cora and Spencer since yesterday! And this is great news jump

As far as some of the posters....animals know pain don't think they don't and if it was his time he wouldn't still be here fighting! Just because he has had some health issues that have to be dealt with doesn't mean he should be put down.

My mom battled cancer for 6.5 yrs...she was only given 6 months in the beginning. She was lucky to be able to try the new medications for cancer out during her battle, and it is because of my mom that her dr. knows how much 1 person can withstand and what works and what doesn't. At the time these meds were experimental and my mom was basicly the guinea pig..

So even though my mom is no longer with us its because of her that she paved the way for so many others and her treatments still continue to be the light at the end of the tunnel for other cancer patients.

When my mom was ready and on her terms she passed and I couldn't be any more proud than I am of my mom. She was a truly great human being, sure many times I'm sure if she coulda reach in and tore her liver out herself she probably would have. Now Spencer is living on his terms! And who knows maybe he'll live another many yrs free of pain after this last operation. If not then he'll pass over rainbow bridge on his own terms. It's not up to any of us its up to him and its very apparent this lil guy wants to LIVE so let it be!

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/20/11 12:03 AM

Also, for JeremysDad. Cora's vet is round-about an hour away as she does not live in a highly populated area. I'm not familiar w/her vet, but I know there aren't too many towns much bigger that close to her & they may not offer emergency/24 hr services. I do know she left a message on their machine that she would be on their doorstep when they opened this AM. Which would be about what you could do when you live out in the middle of nowhere with no other vet options.

I do believe there is a call list here for people w/ER's who cannot get to a vet right away & experienced people like Cora could help them through their situation until their vet opens, spouse got home w/car etc.

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/20/11 12:06 AM

JeremysDad:

I just read a thread in the Real Stories forum about a glider that SMd and passed away because she couldn't get to the vet in time. From my understanding of what was written, the only vehicle she had was with her spouse who was at work, not near the home.

So I understand there are circumstances that can make it difficult to get to a vet right away.
Posted By: jacknsally

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/20/11 12:07 AM

Just because an animal chews at itself, does not mean it wants to give up on life. Spencer has an issue and his chewing is what brings attention to that issue. Is it his fault the dr's can't solve his problems? Should they give up on him because our medicine hasn't caught up with his needs just yet? I have seen 2 of my non glider pets at deaths door, you can see the look in their eyes when it's time. It is when you receive that look that gives you the strength to let go and know they are ready to cross the bridge.

Hugs all around Cora heart

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/20/11 12:11 AM

Val, very well said.
Posted By: sitkasmom

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/20/11 12:19 AM

Prayers, Good Thoughts, Good Vibes, and hug2 for both of you!!!

I am so happy he is back home where he belongs grin

Yay Spencer dance jump :lshower: :hdance:

Hoping for a speedy recovery for you and your mommy little man!!!
Posted By: Mommabear

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/20/11 12:25 AM

Woohoo Spencer I am so glad he is going home. I don't post on here very much and this thread is why. I have to say Megs, what people are trying to say is YOU don't know Cora. I do I have been to her house. I have personally touched every glider in her house and seen every cage. I know how she loves all her gliders especially Spencer and If you read any of Cora's threads about Spencer you would know she knows how to take care of him. But if you knew her in person and saw Spencer with Cora or with Stretch then you would know that Cora can look at Spencer and know what he wants/needs. And she will always do what's best for him not her. IMO you should not have posted what you did on this thread.
Posted By: LalaPetush

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/20/11 12:32 AM

Praying for speedy recovery Spencer!
Posted By: hwh4ev

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/20/11 12:33 AM

i was afraid to read again abt. spencer but am so happy our prayers are being heard for the little man.

still praying for spencer and more hugs to you cora.

take care,
nancy in detroit

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/20/11 12:39 AM

Spencer drank a lot of water and some ensure when we got home. He is in my bra where he has been since I picked him up! Wow Megs how many years experience do you have with gliders? Mutilators? Mary has 16 years, Jen has a bunch of years with riker, omg what if she had put him down before she FINALLY found out what was wrong with him. What if Mary put the ones down that came through her house as mutilators, all are out of their collars now. Thats the day all mutilator furparents wait for Megs, Do you know anything about that hon? Spencer is doing great, thank you to all who have had good prayers and thoughts, the negative vibes I have encountered today was a bit overwhelming. Thank goodness the good vibes are stronger! Oh and While I am thinking about it I have another glider named Sugar who had her two bottom incisors removed due to peridontal disease and she has been doing fine for about 2 years. She can be seen in my profile pics. She has 2 neutered boys who wash her daily and do whatever she wants! Its so cute to see her 240 gram butt on a hammock watching her boys play! She eats just fine. This is not some Whim I had, I have given it a lot of thought over the past few years as it would seem they were loose anyway. I will keep those of you who truly know Spencer updated. In 06 I had a glider with Lymphoma, I had the lump removed. 2 months later he started dragging his legs. I took him to the vet. He had tiny tumors growing all over his bones, I had him euthanized, I know when its time and its not Spencers time. smile

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/20/11 12:42 AM

GO Spencer GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yes: :hdance: :ghug:

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/20/11 12:51 AM

I am not sure if this question would be considered rude or out of place but I am wondering, just for future references. In case God forbid this should happen to my babies.

Will you be keeping him in your bra for a few days and sleeping in a recliner chair? to keep an eye on him I mean?

I wasnt sure if that would be okay or not. I have a nice chair that I can lean back on but wouldnt do any rolling around.

Forgive me if this is out of place. I'm kinda over protective when it comes to my furchildren. I slept on the couch for a week and a half after my Sitka was spayed because she couldnt go up and down the stairs...

I am so glad he is doing better smile I will continue to pray for Him, You and all of your babies mlove

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/20/11 12:52 AM

Like I said Cora, I was having nothing but good thoughts and sending good vibes. I know Spencer's history, that's why I have the opinion I have.

AGAIN... in no way do I mean to hurt feelings. In no way was I sending bad vibes. Having a differing opinion=/= bad vibes.

And as we all know, amount of years doesn't always= tons of knowledge, and vice versa.

Regardless, I know you know what you're doing. And though I have no experience with a glider who SMs, I have experience with SMing animals. But this post isn't about me.

Even if you don't appreciate it I will continue sending my thoughts and good vibes yours and Spencer's way. My opinions in no way negate my hopes and well wishes and I am saddened that some think so. Especially you.

I'm rooting for Spencer more than you'll ever know.

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/20/11 12:53 AM

Originally Posted By: sitkasmom
I am not sure if this question would be considered rude or out of place but I am wondering, just for future references. In case God forbid this should happen to my babies.

Will you be keeping him in your bra for a few days and sleeping in a recliner chair? to keep an eye on him I mean?

I wasnt sure if that would be okay or not. I have a nice chair that I can lean back on but wouldnt do any rolling around.

Forgive me if this is out of place. I'm kinda over protective when it comes to my furchildren. I slept on the couch for a week and a half after my Sitka was spayed because she couldnt go up and down the stairs...

I am so glad he is doing better smile I will continue to pray for Him, You and all of your babies mlove

Many people will spend every waking moment with their gliders in their shirts/pouches with them. When they sleep they'll keep the glider in a hospital cage by their bed and get up every hour or so to check on the glider.

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/20/11 01:01 AM

Yay! Momma's back!

(Thought I'd have some team mates by now...)

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/20/11 01:08 AM

Cora, I prayed hard all night long for Spencer and am so happy he is home with you and on the mend.
Posted By: Mel2mdl

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/20/11 01:10 AM

So glad he's home and back in your shirt where he belongs! Go Spencer! grin

And Cora - not everyone knows Spencer and your dedication and knowledge. Don't take the negative seriously, it is really more ignorance of WHO you are and what you know. Like you said, the positives far outweigh the negatives. smile

Love you girl! Glad all came out good.
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/20/11 01:21 AM

Cora, you already know how I feel and read what I said on F/B. Just thought I'd stop here to remind you we love you and love Spencer. I've prayed all night and day for him and am beyond happy he is home now with you! Again, if you need ANY help please let me know. Write me, call me or whatever. WE will get through this as a community. You and Spencer (and all your babies) are much loved! (((HUGS)))
Posted By: MIbabe

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/20/11 01:24 AM

I'm with ya Crystal! :thumb2: hug2 mlove
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/20/11 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: mary h
Spencer is a very special baby (I say that about a lot of them)...I love gliders.
Spencer has times when he's normal and he loves life and humans.
To anyone out there with thoughts...conversation with others...or helpful hints...Spencer will NEVER be put down.
You are not God...I am not God...Cora is not God...the vets sre not God. Glider owners and vets are here to help them.
How sad it would be if he were put down and somewhere down the line we find a reason and a treatment? In my opinion putting one down is giving up...thats not in my book.
When people come on here with health problems...help them if you can. True friends NEVER turn thier backs on friends
In 17 years I've had more than my share of mutilators...I never had one put down. I never let them suffer.
Be Spencers friend...believe in him...pray for a cure to help him.

He loves humans...could any of you look him in the eye and say die. They don't put humans down.

Mary

God has blessed you Mary. You are an awesome woman! (((HUGS)))
Posted By: ozzi

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/20/11 02:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Cora
Spencer drank a lot of water and some ensure when we got home. He is in my bra where he has been since I picked him up!

mlove Spencer mlove
I am so glad to hear Spencer is doing OK and home with you Cora hug2 angel hug2
Posted By: KarenE

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/20/11 02:21 AM

Cora, I am glad you have Spencer back home. Good thoughts coming your way from me.

Unfortunately, I have some business to conduct.

It is ridiculous that a formal Rule 4 has to be posted in a thread such as this much less anything more.

This will be the last time we ask to keep this thread for well wishes only.

Ozzi, I just happened to post after you. Not directed to you.
Posted By: suggiebabylover

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/20/11 02:30 AM

First I'd like to way hurray for Spencer. jump jump

Second Thanks for the intervention. I could go on but I won't.

Again way to go Spencer.
Posted By: rach

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/20/11 03:05 AM

Wonderful Spencer is home. Wishing him well.
Posted By: josefine

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/20/11 03:10 AM

I can't believe I missed this.
I am so sorry that you have had to go thru something again w/Spencer. But I am so great full that he has you.
I do hope & pray that the worst is over, & that he is on the mend.
You have helped so many of us over the years, me especially, of which I have always been so thankfull.
Cora, you are a wonderful, kind, loving person, & there really aren't too many people out in this world that are like you. If there were, I don't think we'd have all the problems we have to deal w/today.
I know Spencer will be fine, b/c he has a fine mommie!!!!
smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile
Posted By: lilangels

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/20/11 03:13 AM

Cora I am so happy spencer pulled through. I can only imagine how scared you were for him. Please don't listen to any negative thoughts...you know your baby and what is best for him and it sounds like you have always put him 1st and done the very best you could for him....keep upo the good work and God will reward you with lots of little glider kisses to come.
Posted By: acook1021

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/20/11 04:12 AM

Cora,

I am so glad spencer is doing so good!!!! I will pray for you and spencer!

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/20/11 01:57 PM

How is Spencer today? I was thinking and praying for him all night. As well as other babies on here that needed prayers and good vibes mlove

I am sure you didnt get much sleep.

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/20/11 03:57 PM

Spencer is doing well! :thumb2: He has been alert, ate both his smoothies, played & his bottom is healing. Cora's Sugar lost her bottom incisors to peridontal disease so she is well prepaired to feed her toofless boy. She even squeezes mealworms so they can still enjoy those grin Cora is taking a much needed break today ~ I'm jealous she's getting all that Spenny love heart I can't wait to see them again hug2

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/20/11 04:00 PM

Yay!! Pigletness is a good sign!! Too bad someone hasnt invented a mealie shake...

maybe she can play that song for him? All I want for Christmas is my Two Front Teef! :rofl2:

I hope she has him all snuggled in her bra and they are both getting the much needed rest they deserve...
Posted By: tacasper

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/20/11 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: sitkasmom

maybe she can play that song for him? All I want for Christmas is my Two Front Teef! rofl

Lol I thought the same thing!
Posted By: Kage

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/21/11 02:17 AM

I'm soooo happy to hear that Spencer is doing well. The eating like a pig is a great sign that is for sure; even playing and being alert. Great signs indeed! I am so happy for you both.
Posted By: IslandGliders

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/21/11 04:32 PM

Mmmmm fresh-squeezed mealie guts in the morning! LOL Spencer sure is one spoiled, lucky boy!

Been rooting for him, Cora. He is so lucky to have you. hug2 You and Spencer are in my thoughts.

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/21/11 05:00 PM

Keeping the prayers & good thoughts heading to the Lone Star State..... hug2 hug2

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/21/11 07:25 PM

Thinking of Spencer and Cora today. Hope all is going well. Give that little guy kisses for me.
Posted By: bbjoeys

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/21/11 08:23 PM

Yay Spencer and Cora!

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/23/11 03:35 AM

Spencer is doing well!!! I chopped up a bunch of waxies for him after his meds this morning and he enjoyed them immensely. He and Stretch are curled up in my bra sleeping. smile They cant stay together yet but I see no harm in letting them visit cause Stretch was getting depressed. So we will see how this goes!

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/23/11 11:27 AM

Cora I am so glad that he is doing better. My prayers continue to be with you and your little miracle boy. (((((HUGS)))))
Posted By: angelic4296

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/24/11 04:07 AM

Glad to hear he's doing well Cora, much love to you both! smile

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/24/11 04:33 AM

Yay Spencer!! I knew he was going to do just fine! He is one tough little guy. I'm sure you are spoiling him rotten right now (if he can be more rotten than he already is! Lol).

I will continue to keep your sweet little man in my prayers. Keep us posted on how he's doing!

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/29/11 03:51 AM

He is still doing well. smile

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/29/11 06:40 AM

This truely warms my heart. Wishes and prayers for continued healing. Spencer is a special little man. Keep us posted as you can.

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/29/11 07:07 PM

good luck!

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/29/11 08:43 PM

OMG, I about had a HEART ATTACK to see this on the "active topics" list again..... *WHEW*

:lshower: VERY VERY VERY glad to hear the good news!

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/30/11 02:32 PM

This can be closed since Spencer is back on track. He went to vet yesterday and all is well. You will now be able to get updates from time to time on my FB. Thanks to all the well wishers and for the prayers. I will never forget y'all.
Posted By: JazzNZoeysMom

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/30/11 03:36 PM

So glad he is recovering nicely!

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/30/11 03:43 PM

Go Spencer!!! WOHOOOOOO!!!

Dont scare your mama no more mister!!

:lshower: mlove :hdance:
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: I am so scared for Spencer.... - 12/30/11 03:44 PM

Closed per OP request.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL