GliderCENTRAL

McGuyver ejacket!

Posted By: suggiemom1980

McGuyver ejacket! - 09/05/11 03:21 AM

Doodad was neutered Friday. Weighing in at only 50 grams, it was tough getting my smallest ejacket on him, but I got it on him. The first night after neuter, I stay up all night and watch them. He did great. Didn't even try to get out of the ejacket! So, last night, I got some sleep, waking and checking on him only every couple of hours. At 6 this morning, all was well. At 8, I looked in on him, to find him looking back at me....ejacket lying on the cage beside him!

I looked and sure enough, he had gone after his site. Thankfully, he didn't do major damage, but made himself raw enough that I knew he was going to need an ejacket or ecollar for at least a week or two.

Herein lies the problem. No matter how I tried, I could not get the ejacket on well enough for him to not be able to get out of it. So I tried the velcro ecollar. I couldn't get it on tight enough either. He's just too small. I finally duct taped it on but he threw a fit and a half, crabbing and rolling around like a mad man.

I called Denise and ordered an extra small ejacket. She suggested I make an ejacket out of vet wrap, to hold him until I got the extra small ejacket. Here are the results.

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/05/11 03:22 AM

Thanks Glider Godmother!!!!

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/05/11 03:23 AM

The silver is duct tape, to make sure the straps and corner doesn't come off. Doodad is a regular Houdini!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/05/11 04:12 AM

Wow! Whatever works. Silly little boogers don't always get it that we're just trying to help them!

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/05/11 04:14 AM

Awesome McGuyver Job!
Posted By: sphynxie

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/05/11 04:17 AM

Duct Tape fixes everything
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/05/11 07:52 AM

Originally Posted By: sphynxie

roflmao
Posted By: minkasmom

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/05/11 10:06 AM

I'm just SO grin PROUD grin of Connie! When I got the first call on Sunday about Doodad, I started fussing about what she could POSSIBLY do til I can get an extra-small e-jacket to her...WHY does this stuff always happen on a weekend when there's no mail service??? (because...) I came up with a basic concept and relayed it to her via PM then over the phone...and I certainly WAS NOT expecting it to come out that well! thumb

You never know what you can do with those everyday things that you already have....until the need arises! clap Just AWESOME, I tell you.

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/05/11 01:39 PM

Denise, I couldn't have made it without you stepping me thru it!

I had thought about using vet wrap but didn't know how to do it. So Denise says, make an ejacket out of vet wrap, make straps out of vet wrap, stick the straps inside, along with the plastic tab, fold and mush together real hard. I still used duct tape on the straps and edge, so he couldn't get it off and this morning, he was still wearing it! Gonna have to make another one today cause this one is dirty already but it's great to know I can use this while waiting for the super small ejacket to arrive.

Now, going to paypal to see if the Glider Godmother sent me an invoice YET!

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/05/11 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: suggiemom1980

She finally did! Thank you, thank you, thank you, Glider Godmother! Doodad is happily sleeping in my shirt, wearing his vet wrap ejacket!
Posted By: Feather

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/05/11 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: sphynxie

We don't call it Duct Tape here. It is "McGuyver Tape".

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/05/11 07:29 PM

She finally did! Thank you, thank you, thank you, Glider Godmother! Doodad is happily sleeping in my shirt, wearing his vet wrap ejacket!

I have but one thing to say, m'dear: tounge

No, I'll take that back. I got something else to say: hug2

Yours is coming.....oh yes it is! exclamation
Posted By: Sherri

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/05/11 08:04 PM

So cute and so inventive! Duct tape isn't just for your significant other anymore!
Posted By: Cora

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/05/11 08:39 PM

lol, Sheri!!! How cute he is. Connie, get that boy some shallow dishes, hes kinda "top heavy" wink HUGS to you and headrubs to the boy!!!

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/06/11 01:08 AM

Originally Posted By: minkasmom

I have but one thing to say, m'dear: tounge

No, I'll take that back. I got something else to say: hug2

Yours is coming.....oh yes it is! exclamation

You DO remember that I have your "number" now. right? exclamation
Originally Posted By: Cora
lol, Sheri!!! How cute he is. Connie, get that boy some shallow dishes, hes kinda "top heavy" wink HUGS to you and headrubs to the boy!!!

That IS my shallow dish! LOL! It must not have deterred him too much. He ate nearly all of it plus drank all of his milk replacer!

The vet wrap ejacket really isn't as heavy as it looks believe it or not. He got a clean, new one tonight. Boy, did he enjoy his grooming time, even tho I wouldn't let him linger too long in certain areas. LOL!
Posted By: holelottaRosie

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/06/11 01:21 AM

Looks like a bullet-Proof Vest...hehe....Commando DooDad!

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/06/11 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: holelottaRosie

LOL! It does, doesn't it!
Posted By: ssuver

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/06/11 02:45 AM

I think it is very inventive! Good job you got to do what you got to do to keep your little one safe and healthy.
Posted By: ciara_lynn

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/06/11 05:06 AM

Take a lil gun from an army man and attach it to the vest and he has the whole thing down! roflmao

Where can I even order an e-jacket? We are getting our lil one neutered in a couple weeks.
Posted By: glidrz5

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/06/11 12:44 PM

Awsome job Connie!

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/06/11 05:17 PM

Ciara, I sent you a Private Message about how to get an e-jacket for YOUR glider...
Posted By: hpyhwn2003

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/06/11 11:57 PM

Oh man that one is going to be as fiesty as his papa Little Man. Thank you Denise for the idea and thank you Connie for doing an amazing and inventive job of keeping Doodad safe. HUGS to you both!

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/07/11 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: ciara_lynn

Take a lil gun from an army man and attach it to the vest and he has the whole thing down! roflmao

LOL! Oh, I so wanted to do this! I just didn't think Doodad would find as much humor in it as I would tho! So tempting!
Posted By: glidrz5

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/07/11 03:49 PM

Connie, since he is dressed in his bullet proof vest, you can set up a squad of army soldiers and let him take them out commando style.
Posted By: snowbabygliders

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/07/11 04:18 PM

that is awesome!!! wow! i am in shock how well you did that connie! way to go! thumb and might i add, i am banning duct tape from this house and hubby the tool man tailor lol roflmao thinks he can fix broken pipes and drains with it and even electrical cords , yup who gets shocked from turning on a lamp? ME! who has a ceiling leaking water on the tanning bed... ME! who has to stuff a sock in a hole in the ceiling cuz he duct taped a leaking pipe and it drained three floors down until he gets home... me! i THINK women do it better :elaugh:
Posted By: snowbabygliders

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/07/11 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: ciara_lynn

LOL! Oh, I so wanted to do this! I just didn't think Doodad would find as much humor in it as I would tho! So tempting!
hahahaha roflmao that would be epic! wink tooo funny! Got me to smile today! smile
Posted By: Dwiizie

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/07/11 04:33 PM

Nice job!!!

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/07/11 04:53 PM

wow that thing is awesome! go connie and denise!!

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/08/11 12:57 AM

That's IT!!! I'm renaming Doodad, Houdini!!! tant Argggggh!!!

I got the tiny ejacket on him and he did great....until I had to run to the store. Xander's school notebook fell apart and since he has to have one, I hurried to the store. I was gone 40 min. The first thing I did when I got back, was to check on him. I picked up the pouch and saw it was partially unzipped, just enough for him to squeeze thru....and lose the ejacket in the process!!!! tant tant

We're frantically looking for him and all I can think is, OMGosh, I just KNOW he's gone after his scab and ripped himself open. worried I'm almost in tears as I'm searching. Then Xander spies him sitting where the tray goes, under Kanani and Serendipity's cage, all the way at the back. (Of course shakehead )

I manage to get him scooted to the front just enough to reach him, but not enough to get him out. Sigh. So I wiggle my hands around until I can get him out. He wasn't pleased, as evidenced by the three good bites he gave me! I put him in my shirt as I'm asking him what in the world did he think he was doing? Didn't I already have enough gray hair!? He was too busy trying to dive into my bra to answer.

I got the vet wrap out and made yet another McGuyver ejacket to go OVER the tiny, tiny ejacket Denise overnighted me. (Thank you so much to the transplanted Hoosier who asked Denise to send me two tiny ejackets! I don't know who you are, but your thoughtful gift is very appreciated!)

Here is a now well-groomed (he took advantage of being free!) Mr. Doodad Houdini, happily munching on a grape while I hurried to make a McGuyver vet wrap ejacket.

I think he started to get suspicious...

Here is the damage done by removing the scab. Thank God, he didn't do serious damage to himself!!! He was so close to opening himself up! He's been on pain meds and antibiotics since the neuter, so I'm guessing that's why he just removed the scab and groomed himself, instead of SM'ing.

And here is a disgruntled Mr. Doodad Houdini, wearing his McGuyver CAMO (I couldn't resist!) vet wrap ejacket, OVER his regular ejacket. Let's see the stinker get out of THIS!

His Rambo impression...
"I'm comin' after YOU!"

Here are directions for making a temporary McGuyver vet wrap ejacket...
How to make a McGuyver ejacket
Posted By: holelottaRosie

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/08/11 02:09 AM

He's saying "Commando DooDad Wants You!"...Now give me a Yogie woman!...I love the "Connie Camo" lol...your crazy...lol

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/09/11 12:32 AM

shock Oh my Doodad no fair! No houdini's allowed on mama Connie's watch! Thank the Lord he didn't hurt himself during his escape. I have to say I love the camo. LOL

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/09/11 01:04 AM

roflmao roflmao Oh goodness, Connie!!! That truly put a smile on my face tonight...especially the LAST picture...and it was so DESPARATELY NEEDED!! upset

Kinda drowning out the world tonight with a little Emerson, Lake & Palmer as I'm typing....gonna blow these poor little speakers if I'm not careful! shakehead

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/09/11 01:23 AM

I'm so glad I could bring a smile to your face! Whatever he was thinking...he MEANT it! LOL!

I got pink camo for the girls when they need a McGuyver ejacket! wink

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/09/11 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: minkasmom
roflmao roflmao Oh goodness, Connie!!! That truly put a smile on my face tonight...especially the LAST picture...and it was so DESPARATELY NEEDED!! upset

Kinda drowning out the world tonight with a little Emerson, Lake & Palmer as I'm typing....gonna blow these poor little speakers if I'm not careful! shakehead

Just for you hug2

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/09/11 01:43 AM

And Connie don't think you've been forgotten hug2 AND you get an extra for the spare grays you were given hug2

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/09/11 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: hpyhwn2003
And Connie don't think you've been forgotten hug2 AND you get an extra for the spare grays you were given hug2

Elena, seeing Doodad healing in his ejacket, even with that totally serious look on his face, is all I need. He's such a sweet boy! I think he's so grateful to NOT be in that ecollar, he's kissing up to me big time! He loves holding hands!

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/09/11 01:51 AM

That's the pic of the week!! Rambo comin at cha! Lol. So what works better the ejacket or ecollar? Is it just a personal preference? I've never seen the ejacket until today so I think I will need one of those just to have both on hand after my boy gets neutered. Also was his surgery pom off? Just curious.

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/09/11 02:15 AM

Also can someone post a link to where I can buy an ejacket from? I googled it but haven't been able to find anyone selling them. Thanks.
Posted By: Sherri

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/09/11 02:27 AM

Minkasmom on here makes them, just shoot her a pm.

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/09/11 03:37 AM

Whatever he was thinking...he MEANT it! LOL!

Not a single doubt in my head....I know THAT look! The one that says "If I could catch up with WHOEVER put this crazy idea into my giant's head....ooh boy howdy, am I gonna open up a 55-gallon drum of WHOOP! tant "

Well you just dream on Doodad! You ain't the ONLY one who's painting a target on me! As the saying goes, "take a number" roflmao

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/09/11 12:32 PM

I won't use an ecollar again unless the ejacket just won't work for whatever reason. However, I can't at this time, think of what that reason might possibly be!

Doodad's surgery was laser neuter, pom off. I chose pom off because he's going to be with his mom, dad and sis and even tho both males are neutered, the pom does produce a small amount of hormones, I don't want to take any chances.
Posted By: bjve

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/09/11 02:01 PM

I moved the directions and pictures to a WORD file so that I could keep them handy...even send to my own phone so that I have access no matter where I am. If anyone wants me to email them the WORD version, let me know!

One question....if you don't know the length of an e-jacket, what is a good length of vet wrap to start with?
Posted By: Mastiff_Mama

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/09/11 02:13 PM

We discussed this at every glider meeting but I never got to see the actual jacket. This is an AMAZING invention!!!

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/09/11 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: bjve
I moved the directions and pictures to a WORD file so that I could keep them handy...even send to my own phone so that I have access no matter where I am. If anyone wants me to email them the WORD version, let me know!

One question....if you don't know the length of an e-jacket, what is a good length of vet wrap to start with?

Great idea on the WORD file!

It depends on the size of the glider. If you can't measure around the chest, I would start with at least 18" of vet wrap for the body.

I made the straps the width of the body of the McGuyver ejacket. That way, I know it's long enough to do the job.

Since it's vet wrap, if need be, I can always cut off any excessive length. If you're doing this with an uncooperative glider (not bonded, in pain/injured or if you're unsure of how to do it) it's best to have someone help you.

Doodad got kinda cranky and grabbed the vet wrap with his teeth. Needless to say, that made it a bit hard to get it around him. I just gave him a small piece of fleece to chomp on and keep his mouth busy while I put on the McGuyver ejacket. Since you'll have to replace this vet wrap ejacket every day while waiting for a regular ejacket from Denise, you'll learn pretty quick how to get it on fast by yourself.

Re: McGuyver ejacket! - 09/09/11 10:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Mastiff_Mama
We discussed this at every glider meeting but I never got to see the actual jacket. This is an AMAZING invention!!!

I totally agree! It's the best invention for suggies, I've seen for a long time! It works so much better than an ecollar! This doesn't mean there isn't a place for an ecollar. Until Denise talked me thru the vet wrap ejacket, I had to duct tape my smallest ecollar on Doodad. He threw a fit but at least it kept him from being able to go after his neuter site.

I have posted pics of my suggies in ejackets and I've seen pics of other gliders wearing one. Cora's Spencer is the suggie who wore the prototype!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL