GliderCENTRAL

Egg Shells?

Posted By: TwoDog

Egg Shells? - 11/22/17 06:34 AM

Can gliders have egg shells? Made some eggs and then got into a kung fu battle with Arrow over the shells. He's crazy for them. He actually bit me bloody trying to get them away from him (!)
But these are just plain brown eggs shells. Any reason I should withhold those?
Wanted to sound off here just to be sure...
Any direction much appreciated.
Thanks
Dave
Posted By: Terry

Re: Egg Shells? - 11/22/17 12:31 PM

I think so. There used to be, I believe, a recipe that included egg shells at one time. I'm not sure which, or why it changed though. Anyway, in the wild, they eat bird eggs, and I believe that they eat those shells.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Egg Shells? - 11/27/17 04:24 PM

BML included the shell at one time, and I do not know why it was eliminated. Someone may come along who does.

I will try and find out why the egg shell was taken out. Just guessing ... some people may not have been blending enough to break up the shell, and it could have been a choking hazard or possibly, it just wasn't necessary.
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Egg Shells? - 11/28/17 09:15 PM

Egg Shells are an excellent source of calcium.

However, you want to put your egg shells in the oven (250) for about 20 minutes and then let cool before you offer them to your gliders. This will kill any bacteria (salmonella) that may be on them.

Also, do not do it often, as too much calcium is just as bad as not enough. But as a treat every great once in a while will be fine.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Egg Shells? - 11/29/17 04:08 PM

Thank you so much, Peggy.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL