GliderCENTRAL

Bending & Shaping PVC?

Posted By: Biscuit

Bending & Shaping PVC? - 11/13/12 12:41 PM

I read something about being able to bend PVC?? There was a thread here about cable wire for toys and it was mentioned that you can also shape PVC pipe by heating sand, putting it in a funnel thru the PVC pipe to bend it?

If anyone has experience with this, or can direct me to a thread that I can reference, that would be great!

thanks
Posted By: krysKritters

Re: Bending & Shaping PVC? - 11/13/12 01:03 PM

You can google it or look it up on that how to website... there are many websites with info... not sure what links I can post directly here or not.

Bending & Shaping PVC? - 11/13/12 01:06 PM

Krys - I was actually looking at the lovely trees on your website!!! My inspiration! jump I'll try to google it better! thanks
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Bending & Shaping PVC? - 11/13/12 06:55 PM

oops...double post...
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Bending & Shaping PVC? - 11/13/12 06:58 PM

I have a pipe bender. It is like a super charged hair blow dryer (It gets SUPER hot and not as much air flow). I fill the pipe with sand (tape the ends) and then use the "blow dryer" to heat the pipe. It takes a little practice because the pipe can get scorched pretty easy. Then when it is soft, I bend it to the shape I want and run cold water over it to cool/harden it. For more complex shapes, I bend it and some how secure it in the shape I want and just let it cool on it's own.

The reason for the sand is so the pipe keeps it's shape and doesn't "fold" while you are bending it.
Posted By: xSwtxSugaX

Re: Bending & Shaping PVC? - 11/14/12 04:10 AM

Here is a general idea. If you want to make a twist you can bend it and hold it while the sand cools. Also I would cap both ends to prevent a accidental mess.

Posted By: lilangels

Re: Bending & Shaping PVC? - 11/14/12 04:49 AM

Stacie that was a great video. Thank you for posting it. I have tried making the pvc pipe trees and I didn't put the sand in the pipe and my bends ended up very messy looking. I'll have to try something just to see how it works.
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: Bending & Shaping PVC? - 11/14/12 04:59 AM

Using the sand will help prevent kinking the pipe and allows for more smooth bends.

Re: Bending & Shaping PVC? - 11/15/12 02:39 AM

Thanks so much for the video. I can't wait to try it!! jump clap
Posted By: StowawayGliders

Re: Bending & Shaping PVC? - 11/15/12 07:16 PM

Thank you for posting the video! Definitely going to try this. smile

Re: Bending & Shaping PVC? - 11/16/12 05:02 AM

Just so everyone wouldnt hve to do it twice like he did, I would set the oven at 550 the first time, and fill the pipe all the way up with sand and cap both ends. You can bend it the shape you like and hold it while it cools or create a mold to hold it in place with a wooden board and some nails.

I havnt had a chance to try it yet but have been wanting to! Glad the video helped. smile

Re: Bending & Shaping PVC? - 11/16/12 12:11 PM

550? Whoa... I set my oven on the LOWEST setting... 250 I think it is. 8 minutes usually does the trick, although I don't use sand... I have another method for that part. You want to be careful because to high a setting or to long in there and you can probabley burn the pipe... it also releases chemicals in the pvc.
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: Bending & Shaping PVC? - 11/16/12 04:45 PM

Anytime you heat the PVC you can release chemicals in the air. I personally don't recommend doing this in the house at all. When we make our Sugar Maples, we do it in the workshop that is well ventilated.

Re: Bending & Shaping PVC? - 11/17/12 05:52 AM

ok, good to know about the temp! Like I said.. Never done it before. I watched another video as well, but cant embedd it, They had theres set pretty high as well.

Re: Bending & Shaping PVC? - 11/17/12 01:41 PM

The key is slow and even temp... when you try to rush with fast or high temps, that is usually when you burn it.
Trial and error... you'll get it. smile
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL