GliderCENTRAL

Whirl Wheel?

Posted By: Anonymous

Whirl Wheel? - 11/18/09 10:47 PM

I was on the AtticWorx website looking at Stealth wheels and I saw that they also have whirl wheels? These are cheaper, are they any different? Does anyone have experience with these?
Here's the link:
Whirl and Stealth Wheels

Just wondering! Thanks!

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/18/09 10:52 PM

I actually just got one in the mail from a friend. I was hoping for the Stealth quality that I normally see, but... I dunno.

1) there are no bearings, it turns just by spinning around a metal piece.
2) the nut is exposed on the wheel
3) the housing on the back is like... you know how you have to cover a wodent?
4) The lid used on the face has a pull tab that can easily come loose and become a sharp piece. I'm also scared of a glider getting a limb caught in there.
5) The track is landware. It's not very stable.

dunno I'm not doggin' it. It's a wheel... but it's not the best wheel in my opinion.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/18/09 10:57 PM

So, I should probably go for the Stealth, I think. Ok, thanks for the advice! smile

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/18/09 11:02 PM

I was also very disappointed on the Whirl Wheel

You should also look into the Custom Cruiser which is so different and incredible or the TGI Wheel you cant beat the quality for the buck on the TGI wheel!

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/18/09 11:06 PM

Is the TGI Wheel good? Does it have the crossbar thing like the Wodent Wheel? I really don't want to get one that has the crossbar. I just want it to be really safe. smile
Posted By: sugeebaby

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/18/09 11:12 PM

TGI does not have the crossbar like the wodent. The TGI wheel was designed after the old Rowdy wheel.
Posted By: cyndiekb

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/18/09 11:57 PM

Stealth is still the best wheel on the glider market. Many have wheels that are years old. There history speaks for itself.
Posted By: heidi

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 12:53 AM

i have a 9inc steath wheel and a whirl wheel and soon get a tgi wheel i dont have any gliders but was told the whirl wheel was able to be tighten if gliders needed harder working wheel too loose the fluff i heard of bounce wheels also but have not got one yet id like to see it work first

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 01:00 AM

Quote:
Stealth is still the best wheel on the glider market

Do you have a Custom Cruiser or TGI wheel?

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: cyndiekb
There history speaks for itself.
Their history isn't what's being discussed, it's the problem with this wheel... the new one. The Stealth of the past was a pretty good wheel. I have one that's still going. dunno This one I wouldn't put in my cage.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: suggieluvr4ev
Is the TGI Wheel good? Does it have the crossbar thing like the Wodent Wheel? I really don't want to get one that has the crossbar. I just want it to be really safe. smile

The TGI is a great wheel!! NO It does NOT have a crossbar or any moving parts.. !

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 01:04 AM

Originally Posted By: BabyLoveGliders
Originally Posted By: suggieluvr4ev

The TGI is a great wheel!! NO It does NOT have a crossbar or any moving parts.. !
I have one and can vouch. It's pretty much el awesome.
Posted By: Sherri

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 01:13 AM

I also have a couple of TGI wheels (the smaller ones that I use for travel) and they are GREAT wheels! My babies LOVE their TGI and their CC wheels!

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 01:28 AM

As far as wheels go, I currently have the Wodent Wheel but have been looking at the Stealth. I have to zip tie the wodent wheel to the cage floor because if I don't it moves way too much. Lilo occasionally nibbles at the zip ties even though we've cut off the loose piece as close as possible and have that part facing down. The thing I like as an option for the Stealth wheel is that it is available with a mount that connects directly to the cage wall with no stand. Has anyone tried that and how does it work out? It doesn't look like that is available in the CC or TGI wheels.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 01:50 AM

I have seen the cruiser and it is a large monster of a wheel that wont even fit in my cages. I know people that threw them out with in months of getting them. They are the same price as the Stealth so why should I buy what is (in my opinion)an inferior knock off. Burbon herslef said the Stealth is the Caddy of wheels, I want my kids to have the best wheel available.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 01:51 AM

Let us take this hijacked post back to your question. I can explain the differences between the Stealth Wheel and the Whirl Wheel. First, the Stealth Wheel has been in production five years. This year, we introduced the Whirl Wheel to give the consumer another choice.

• Yes, the Whirl does not have a bearing. Its mechanics revolve around an oil-lite bushing. The manufacture advertises this bushing for use in food grade equipment. In fact, these type bushings are utilized in many universal motors that run for years at 1725 RPM’s.
• The mesh used in this wheel is the same mesh used in the Stealth. But the track is ½” wider.
• We started using the orange front ring due to cost. We also make a solid black Whirl upon request. We notified our distributors that the orange ring will be discontinued soon.
• The exposed nut on this wheel is the same design utilized by the thousands of Stealths in pet cages tonight.
• One of our Distributors has a Whirl type wheel that we gave her six years ago. She states that that wheel is still going strong. Her name is Sheila and she raises some mighty nice gliders.

The three major car dealers have both an entry level automobile (economy college student ride) and a top of the line luxury ride. We have the Whirl Wheel for the entry level and we have set the standard for the top of the line wheel with our Stealth for years.

So, please do your research and do what is best for your gliders. There is hundreds of post about the Stealth Wheel on this board. My telephone is on our web site and you can always call if you have questions. For your convenience, you can also place your order on our web site 24/7.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 01:56 AM

The side mount Stealth is fantastic, wheels take up alot of floor space in the cage and with the side mount, you can put it most anywhere in the cage.

Quote:
Their history isn't what's being discussed, it's the problem with this wheel... the new one. The Stealth of the past was a pretty good wheel. I have one that's still going. This one I wouldn't put in my cage.

Really? I saw the Whirl wheel a few weeks ago and really liked it and ordered 2 of them this week. Glad I waited too, cause now the Magnum wheel is available and I ordered 2 of those. LOL

Let's see, that will make 20 wheels in my house, 16 Stealths, 2 Whirls, and 2 Magnum. And some very happy gliders! smile
Posted By: Jackie_Chans_Mom

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 02:03 AM

I have in use in my home many stealths, 2 whirl wheels, several Jr. stealths, 2 TGI wheels and 2 wodent wheels. I have one CC wheel that is not in use at this time (needs a repair).

I always recommend the stealth wheel when asked my opinion. I have all the others, but have not changed my opinion. If I am getting a new wheel, it is the one I want. That being said, I will say that the TGI wheel, whirl wheel and CC are safe wheels for use in your glider cage.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 02:05 AM

Sorry your cages are too small for the Cruiser they fit in the minimum cage sizes 3'X 2'X 2" maybe you should upgrade so your babies will have more space. You know 1 person that throw hers away when they first came out, mind you without ever contacting Bourbon for her to make it right. The stealth is a very good basic wheel.. smooth like a caddy..

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 02:50 AM

Originally Posted By: cyndiekb
I know people that threw them out with in months of getting them.
Wow, that's a shame. Wish they'd give them to me!
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 02:53 AM

Or me too! I know if there were any issues with a Custom Cruiser, they would be fixed by Bourbon! Or she'd talk ya though fixing it. Or she would replace it.
Posted By: Karin

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 03:08 AM

Gosh, let's see...I have used the Wodent (no way anymore). I have Stealths, A Whirl, a Rowdy, and a Custom Cruiser. Looks like I need a TGI now too clap .

LOVE the Stealth's
Not thrilled with the Whirl (the gliders don't care for it which surprised me...should have spent the extra $ for a Stealth)
LOVE the Custom Cruiser (but my older gliders did not care for the bounce...the young ones love it)
LOVE the Rowdy, however, no longer available

IF you can afford it, different varieties in the cage is awesome thumb .

Karin

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 03:14 AM

Karin... I have 2 wheels per cage.. I did a full bounce for my super active ones and a 1/2 bounce for my wee babies and my older guys!!

Oh and this
Quote:
an inferior knock off

sorry the CC is so completely different than the stealth or ANY other wheel out there!! It has 2 bearing systems even... You can not even compare it to anything else.. it's far superior in my opinion!!
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 03:20 AM

I would like to take the time to say THANK YOU to both Anita and Charlie for trying to please your customers and offering them something that soooo many for soooo long have complained about...a GREAT SAFE wheel at a much affordable price.

I know when the CC first came out they were only like 25 dollars because B wanted them to be affordable. Didnt take too long before she had to make the price the same as the stealth. When one realizes it takes time, labor and parts you cant just give them away and you have to make them a price to where you arent going in the hole for them.

No, I personally can not give my opinion on the CC because Bourbon had told me she would send me one when they were first made for me to test out for her and I never got the one she said I would get.

I can ONLY go by MY personal opinion and that would be I will go with the wheel that is VETERINARIAN recommended, approved. And I do hope that Anita and Charlie put that on their website as requested some time ago. thumb

Anita and Charlie, thank you again. Not only for thinking and trying to make it possible for ALL gliders to have The Best wheel out there, but also for keeping the gliders safety completely in mind while making each and every one of them. hug2

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 03:24 AM

I have an additional problem with the Whirl. And yes, I've seen it in person. There's about a 2 inch clearance from the bottom of the floor to the running track. How many have gliders that run on the OUTSIDE of their wheels? With multiple gliders in the cage you could have one running on the inside, then another jump on the outside and BAM faceplant on the floor of the cage.

As far as the Whirl being an "economy college ride" I rather see it as the $500 hoopty 16 yr olds afford on a McDonald's paycheck. Yes, the economy is hard, but it's not that much more to get a regular Stealth or one of the other wheels mentioned, like a Cruiser or TGI.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 03:31 AM

OH Peggy!!! You dont have a cruiser yet?? I get my 8th one free.. I will have B send you mine!! You will LOVE IT, well rather your gliders will!!

Vet approved?? Whose vet? who did the testing? what are their credentials? etc??? Sorry you know I'm just poking you!

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 03:43 AM

I would LOVE to still try one out Kris. I would also love for Tristan to be able to.

Of course you can pick, thats ok with me. Its all good. grin

Dr.Tim Tristan is the vet and they have FOUR 4 stealth wheels in their cages with their gliders. He said he had never allowed wheels in with the gliders before he was introduced to the stealth because he never felt any of them were safe for gliders before. He was talking about the wheels that are on the market. He also seen the CC wheel at the SGGA and I had relayed the response he had to them to Bourbon at that time.

Now...his credentials....I think ya got them already right?? LOLOLOL!! roflmao
Posted By: hushpuppy

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 03:44 AM

I can answer that. Dr Tristan recommended that I put that on my site. And yes it is on the home page.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 03:46 AM

Sorry Peggy, we posted at the same time.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 03:50 AM

Well... I will make sure B sends you guys down one!! it will be a month or so.. but it will be there!!

Side note: and nothing against Dr T.. but I dont think only one vet saying ANY WHEEL is "approved" warrants...'veterinarians recommended, approved' on a website... I would want them all tested by several vets. Hey maybe that is something we should do? Diet Study... Wheel study?? LOL

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 03:53 AM

Maybe if we could do that Kris, people would quit selling Wodent wheels for gliders!

I think I'll order me a TGI wheel, a CC wheel and sadly a wodent wheel and take them all in to my two vets and get their opinions and "recommendations" on them.

I mean, why not? We do it with diets to get our vets approval, why not the "things" we are putting in our cages as well?

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 03:56 AM

You would be surprised Kris at how many things are Veterinarian Recommended by only one or two vets.

But the one good thing about it, at least he had his own gliders use it for several months prior to giving his approval on it.

Really, I would like to see lots more done...but it all takes time...

Im a moving to Florida so when I hook up with a vet down there, I will get them involved as well. I would suggest for each of us that have a vet that have gliders themselves to try out various things we have out there for our babies.

*Just another side note, he also recommends and approves products from Glider Daydreams.* laugh

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 03:58 AM

Quote:
I think I'll order me a TGI wheel, a CC wheel and sadly a wodent wheel and take them all in to my two vets and get their opinions and "recommendations" on them.

I agree Teresa, just make sure it isnt just by *visual* that they are recommended, but actual use and personal experience. thumb

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 03:59 AM

Perfect Pocket Pets claims veterinarian approval for their diet, cages, etc. Yes I think we should have a LOT of people talk to a LOT of vets about any product that is marketed as veterinarian approved.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 04:00 AM

Quote:
*Just another side note, he also recommends and approves products from Glider Daydreams.* laugh

clap jump clap mlove jump clap

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 04:01 AM

Originally Posted By: lovely1inred
Perfect Pocket Pets claims veterinarian approval for their diet, cages, etc. Yes I think we should have a LOT of people talk to a LOT of vets about any product that is marketed as veterinarian approved.

WOW!! I totally agree!!

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 04:03 AM

I agree. And since most of us know the vets we all use, we will know they arent some off the wall quack such as Perfect Pocket Pets Vet.
Posted By: finnessa

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 04:06 AM

Hey Anita I just tried your Gone Stealth link in your Siggie and got Page not found
The page you are looking for might have been removed,
had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Just thought I'd give yah a heads up unless it is my silly computer dunno

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 04:09 AM

Quote:
*Just another side note, he also recommends and approves products from Glider Daydreams.*

Doubt anyone would ever be able to "dis" Karin's stuff! They'd have almost the entire population of GC and the other boards (the ones that aren't comotose that is) come down on them!

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 04:23 AM

Originally Posted By: finnessa
Hey Anita I just tried your Gone Stealth link in your Siggie and got Page not found
The page you are looking for might have been removed,
had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Just thought I'd give yah a heads up unless it is my silly computer dunno

No it's not you computer. I've been playing around with the site and I messed it up, fixed it, messed it up again, now I've fixed it again. Thanks for letting me know.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 04:35 AM

yummmyyyy KETCHUP!! Spencer put KETCHUP all in my brand new clean cruiser!!! OMG!!

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 04:44 AM

Who's Spencer?
Posted By: princessmegi

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 04:50 AM

Seriously?

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 04:52 AM

Her kid I think anita. Darn my cages are only 2 x 2 x 4 Time to get new ones I guess.
Posted By: queenduck

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 04:53 AM

OMG. You guys are pushy. Really.

I only have Stealths, have only had Stealths for years. Not the Whirl, but the original Stealths, pvc and metal stands. They have all stood the test of time. I once had squirrels eat one that was left in the back yard (you think they would have been happy to have a built in wheel) and had a glider chew up a small connector piece and some of the track after years of use (I was feeding BML back then... only kidding Bourbon wink ). But they last years and are well worth the money.

Is the CC or TGI's wheel good? I haven't tried one yet, will get a CC in a few weeks. But even if some think they are better, it doesn't mean the Stealth is [censored]. Just means that someone likes them better. Just like those that tried the CC and/or the TGI wheel and stuck with the Stealth. To each their own. It should be a battle over the wheel. Even if I find that I like the CC wheel better, it won't mean the Stealth is no good. It will just mean I like the CC wheel better.

Some people like one diet, some like another, or board, or pouch, or treat. We are all different and so our our gliders. I for one am thankful we have soooooo many options out here in the glider world.

On a side note... I too support Glider Daydreams. Hello? Who wouldn't? smile
Posted By: queenduck

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 04:55 AM

Can we leave Spencer out of this? That doll baby can put anything he wants on my wheels, just stay away from the gliders smile

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 05:03 AM

Quote:
On a side note... I too support Glider Daydreams. Hello? Who wouldn't? smile

UNITY AT LAST!!! clap

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 05:08 AM

I wouldn't worry to much about the ketchup...now if he starts asking for bread and cheese to go with it, there might be reason for concern.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 05:11 AM

Sorry BLG, I forgot that you had a kid.
Posted By: Sheila

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 05:34 AM

I have used the wodents for years - no accidents, but find that a pair of gliders should not have an 8 inch wheel! I have about 7/8 of my cages with stealths. I have 30 cages so I could not afford them at first. I do have the first stealth prototype that I won at the SGGA in Grain Valley several years ago. I think it is a great wheel but have one problem with it. The base of it is made out of a composite that harbors bacteria. I told Anita and charlie this and thus they ended up with the wire or PVC frame. The TGI has this same type of stand and I think over the course of time will harbor bacteria. I wanted to purchase a cc, but never got around to it at the SGGA this year. About 6 weeks after the SGGA someone told me they had purhased 5 and four were in the garbage already. This discouraged me from purchasing one to try it out, but maybe the kinks are worked out now. I do want to try one, but I just don't like how tall they are. They are not the most attractive wheel and I am picky about the way the cage looks. I know a lot of people like it so I thought maybe I would purchase one for my tent.
I know there was a lot of thought behind the making of these wheels. My husband, a scientist says that it looks like a scientist built the stealth. I like the fact that Anita and Charlie have opened it up to vendors online. They have been gracious to share some of their business with us. I am looking forward to trying the Whirl wheel which I keep calling the Swirl wheel(don't you think that is what it should have been called?) I have a few chunkie gliders and would like for them to get a little more exercise. I love the open faced wheels because it is fun to get photographs of gliders in them. My gliders love their wheels - well they love just about any wheel you put in the cage, and I sure do enjoy watching them play!
Posted By: BindiAndScrubbie

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 07:28 AM

I love the Stealths! I always have two in the cage. When getting my new baby last month I borrowed a Whirlwheel from a friend during quarentine time. I can't say anything negative about it. It's a great wheel. It's still very quiet, a glider has to work a tad more than a traditional stealth but it probably just keeps them from getting fat so that's a bonus! LOL

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 03:04 PM

I have an additional problem with the Whirl. And yes, I've seen it in person. There's about a 2 inch clearance from the bottom of the floor to the running track. How many have gliders that run on the OUTSIDE of their wheels? With multiple gliders in the cage you could have one running on the inside, then another jump on the outside and BAM faceplant on the floor of the cage.

This statement is incorrect, my wheels were just delivered and sitting in front of me. And Anita, could you have gotten them any faster to me? Goodness, I just ordered them on Sunday! grin

The Whirl wheel is the EXACT same height as the Stealth, and just like you described above, all my cages have multiple gliders and they DO exactly what you said, one will be on the inside of the Stealth, and the other hitching a ride on the outside. roflmao

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 07:40 PM

Well, I'm producing another video to show the differences in the wheels, so everyone should just settle. Everyone can make their own decisions.

If everyone is so bent on buying a Stealth that they miss the point that they're made by a human, and that humans make mistakes, then that's not my glider's head it'll be on. shakehead

^for the good of the glider, not the maker of the wheel. I'm just being honest.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 07:44 PM

Quote:
If everyone is so bent on buying a Stealth that they miss the point that they're made by a human, and that humans make mistakes, then that's not my glider's head it'll be on.

Arent ALL wheels made by humans??

Are you saying stealth wheels are dangerous?

I dont think I am reading your post correctly...

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 07:53 PM

I don't think she is saying Stealths are dangerous. Only that EVERYTHING we put into our glider's environment has the potential to BE dangerous. It is the nature of introducing non "natural" things to their environment.

I know I've had "issues" with my Stealths but was able to solve the problem by putting them on taller stands. No more gliders crashing their heads on to the floor of the cage. MUCH less fear of another broken neck.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 08:16 PM

No! I am certainly NOT saying Stealths are dangerouis! Not at all I have used them for years. Now the whirl IMO is not up to par with MY standards, I would not put them in mt cages or recommend them. If someone is looking for a more cost effective wheel I highly recommend the TGI wheel. If someone is looking for a great,fun and very different wheel that has many options I recommend the Cruiser. If someone is wanting just a basic wheel than get a stealth.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Amanda1981
Well, I'm producing another video to show the differences in the wheels, so everyone should just settle. Everyone can make their own decisions.

If everyone is so bent on buying a Stealth that they miss the point that they're made by a human, and that humans make mistakes, then that's not my glider's head it'll be on. shakehead

^for the good of the glider, not the maker of the wheel. I'm just being honest.

I'm not understanding this, everyone should just settle? I thought it was? The name of the tread is Whirl wheel, the poster asked opinions on it and those were given. Now you are going to make a video with a Stealth and what? Not my glider's head it will be on? That was a bit dramatic don't think and it was uncalled for as well.
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 08:20 PM

One of the first Stealths made is STILL in use today and still going as good as it did years ago. All of my cages (14) have the Stealth wheels and one has a Rowdy wheel along with the Stealth.

Thank you Anita and Charlie for building what I refer to as "Wheelidacs". LOL
Posted By: MizValorie

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Dancing

I know I've had "issues" with my Stealths but was able to solve the problem by putting them on taller stands. No more gliders crashing their heads on to the floor of the cage. MUCH less fear of another broken neck.

For three years I've used stealths (never had to modify their height) and NEVER had a broken neck...and I have a ROWDY bunch!!

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 08:35 PM

Amanda said earlier she will be doing a video of the stealth, whirl and cruiser I think right?
Posted By: finnessa

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 08:39 PM

You guys can be so confusing sometimes roflmao thats all I have to add lol!

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Srlb
Quote:
If everyone is so bent on buying a Stealth that they miss the point that they're made by a human, and that humans make mistakes, then that's not my glider's head it'll be on.

Arent ALL wheels made by humans??

Are you saying stealth wheels are dangerous?

I dont think I am reading your post correctly...

All wheels are made by humans, and therefor DO have room for error. I was just saying that I think there is an error made here. Not that no one else could possibly make an error.

No. I'm saying THIS wheel is dangerous. I have a stealth. It has been in all of my gliders cages at some point. It's lasted a long time and I think it's a great wheel. I would never dissuade someone from buying a Stealth. THIS wheel however, I do not feel it is safe. It happens to be made by AtticWorx as well, SO, it's kinda guilt by association, you could say, but no, I love my Stealth.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 08:44 PM

Because I have not seen the Whirl wheel, Amanda, would you be more descriptive as to how/what you feel is dangerous about the one you have?

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Dancing
Because I have not seen the Whirl wheel, Amanda, would you be more descriptive as to how/what you feel is dangerous about the one you have?
Absolutely. I'll take pics real quick, since it takes 4+ hours to get those videos uploaded.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 08:46 PM

Thank you for clarifying that Amanda.

Can I ask you as to why you feel this wheel isn't safe?

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 08:51 PM

Quote:
No! I am certainly NOT saying Stealths are dangerouis!

Kris, I know YOU werent saying stealth wheels were/are dangerous. I was actually quoting and confused by Amandas comments...

Amanda, thank you for the response. You cleared it up. So you think the Whirl Wheel is unsafe? Have you taken that privately to Anita and Charlie before bringing it here and voicing your concerns with them? I do know from working closely with them over the years that ANYTIME ANYONE brings a concern to their attention they WILL AND DO look into it and make the changes IF any are needed.

What are the reasons YOU feel the whirl wheel to be a danger? I personally dont have one so that is why I ask.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Srlb

Amanda, thank you for the response. You cleared it up. So you think the Whirl Wheel is unsafe? Have you taken that privately to Anita and Charlie before bringing it here and voicing your concerns with them? I do know from working closely with them over the years that ANYTIME ANYONE brings a concern to their attention they WILL AND DO look into it and make the changes IF any are needed
Nope, I actually am now in a PM. But, I didn't intend to bring any of this up at all. I have the wheel to make a comparison video (like I did with the stealth/wodent/cc a while back) and then it was going to be sent on it's way. Someone asked, so I spoke up. I just feel like people should spend the extra couple bucks and get the safe one.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 08:59 PM

and ..there have been stealths that have blown up, broken, whatever.. just like the couple of cruisers ..it happens!

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 09:00 PM

Here are the pictures: http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x276/flyingmarsupial/wheel/?action=view&current=c62291c2.pbw

Guys, I'm just acting as the press here. Someone came out with a new wheel, I'm giving a review. I do not know Anita. I have never met her. I have nothing against her.

No one asked my opinion on the wheel before it came out, so I'm just giving it now that it IS out. dunno I'm not trying to be mean.
Posted By: Janie

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 09:01 PM

I have 9 stealths and one CC (half bounce). I havent tried the whirl or TGI wheel but probally will within the next year. The bounce wheel I use in the playroom and most of my gliders love it, infact usually 2 or 3 play in /on it at a time. My older gliders have trouble getting it going.

When I was setting up my new cage for the blind glider I am getting, I chose the stealth wheel. My reasons were one: it is the smoothest running wheel I have and I wanted that, and secondly Anita and Charlie made alterations to it specially for Stevie to make it easier for him to use.

Both wheels seem very safe to me.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 09:02 PM

Ok, everyone please chill. I need some time and I have a few things to say. But I really don't want this to cause more division in this community. So please just give me a few minutes. Ya'll know that I don't type fast and I can't spell worth a darn.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 09:03 PM

Thank you again for the clarification. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions that is for sure.

The one thing people need to keep in mind though is the Whirl Wheel is an ECONOMY wheel for those who want a good safe wheel but can not afford the Stealth Wheel. So are there going to be some differences? Of course there are. But I personally could NEVER imagine AtticWorx putting wheel out there at ANY time that is not safe.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 09:09 PM

No one thinks you are being mean or mad at them Amanda! No worries... We are a community after all and should be able to tell even our best friends.. that we feel their new whatever is not so great and safety is a factor!
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Janie
When I was setting up my new cage for the blind glider I am getting, I chose the stealth wheel. My reasons were one: it is the smoothest running wheel I have and I wanted that, and secondly Anita and Charlie made alterations to it specially for Stevie to make it easier for him to use.

What alterations? I have a blind girl who LOVES her Stealth! I'd be curious about alterations that could make her wheel safer!

I think there are multiple different things going on in this thread.

* An opinion was asked about the Whirl Wheel. Many people gave opinions.

* Comparisons were offered about all the various wheels.

* Suggestions were made about different owners' personal choices.

* Assumptions were made that preferring one wheel over another means that you are "Dissing" wheels that you don't prefer.

I stated previously - I have a glider who lost the end of his tail due to a freak accident in a stealth. Do I consider the Stealth "unsafe" because of it? No - he still has the Stealth in his cage, in fact. But - it does confirm to me that ANY wheel CAN BE dangerous!

All wheels can potentially be harmful! Face it - our gliders can be quite reckless in them! They run as fast as they can, and fling themselves about like there's no gravity. They also CHEW on their wheels, and who knows what harm they can get into by that.

My personal opinion is that everyone needs to take a deep breath - as usual! laugh (what!!?? Emotions running high on a sugar glider forum! Shocking!!) Someone saying "I like this wheel better" should not be taken to be an insult against another wheel or another person! If I said "Lynsie is the BEST breeder", I am NOT SAYING, by words, or implication, that I don't like ANY other Breeder, or that I dislike a certain breeder. I'm not even saying I love everything Lynsie DOES as a breeder! I'm sharing my OPINION, and I may make a statement that sounds like a blanket FACT, but it is still my opinion! Not everything has to be about the politics of who likes whom or dislikes someone else!

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 09:16 PM

The lids used on the Stealths can be bought for $1.25 at
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23221&catid=686&clickid=searchresults

They don't have that tab on them and would be safer to use.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 09:20 PM

Alden, I can't remember who I was talking to about their blind glider but they said it was discussed with them making the "lip" on the outer ring wider (cutting out a smaller hole) so that the glider can kinda use it as a "guide" (like a hand rail sort of). It doesn't enclose the front of the wheel like a wodent wheel is but it gives them more to "feel" their way with? Does that make sense?
Posted By: Sherri

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 09:22 PM

I had 9 wodents and 2 stealths once upon a time, and probably would have switched to all stealths if the CC wheel wouldnt have came out. I bought a couple of those to start out with and my babies absolutely LOVED the different kind of work out that the CC provides compared to the stealth. I noticed a decline in how little the stealths were getting used compared to the CC wheels, so I went ahead and switched out all my cages to the CC wheel.

I still have 1 stealth left and use that one for a back up wheel. I still have 4 wodents left but those will be donated or given away at some point. One of my stealth wheels fell apart at a gathering this summer, but it was getting up there in age and had served its purpose well. (roll free little stealth).

I bought 2 small TGI wheels at a gathering when stupid me forgot to pack their travel wheels and my babies had a blast on them that weekend and they are another option of a great, safe wheel and I will probably get a few more to have on hand. (you can NEVER have to many extra's laying around)

My whole point to all of this is that to each there own. The wodent is a safe wheel as long as the cross bar is covered. The stealth wheel is a great wheel also, but then again so is the CC wheel and the TGI wheel. And they are all different. It just depends on what you want for "your" gliders.

Personally I havent seen the Whirl Wheel in person so I cannot comment on that one, but I dont think for a second that Anita or Charlie would ever intentionally put out an unsafe wheel.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 09:30 PM

My Whirl wheel doesn't have the lip/tab thing. It is just like the Stealth rim.

Also, the way you squeezed the wheel Amanda, all my wheels do that. In fact, I'm glad it does because my travel cage door it too small and I can squeeze it through! smile
Posted By: Bourbon

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 09:39 PM

I agree Alden...

For so many years the stealths were the safest option available, if fact I still refer people to the stealth based on what it is they are looking for. I really don't think it is the stealth that is question here.

Great pains have been put into the cruiser, to make it not only look and act different from the other wheels, but to also ensure safety. The cruiser brings something different to the wheel options available.

Many times I have been asked as to why I feel the cruiser would be better than the stealth, or vise versa, My answer is the same as it always has been, it isn't, nor is the stealth better than the cruiser, they are 2 totally different wheels, that offer 2 totally different type of fun and exercise for the gliders,

I was told that the wheels are a vicious market, but I don't see it that way, I know many people that have both stealths and cruisers in their cage, the various wheel makers CAN co-exist in the same community, and it doesn't have to be about which is better, but what wheel options are safe, each wheel caters to a different need or want. Just as our various pouch makers co-exist, we have Karin with her products, and queenduck with hers, they both have great products, that address different needs. I personally have lots of Karins products as well as alicias.. just as some people have both, the stealths and the cruisers.

Just as one person had an issue with my wheels (without letting me know or giving me a chance to address them), it seems that some have had issues with the whirl wheel, without addressing it with anita. does that make the product bad or unsafe? who knows, what it does mean, just as the one person had issues with the cruiser, it means that person wasn't happy , felt it was unsafe, and they will tell others. There is no difference here with those that have and have seen the whirl wheel.

Personally I think that if we, anita or I could have come up with a cheaper version of our wheel without compromising quality, and safety, We would have been done a long time ago. The TGI wheel came out, on the lower cost end of the scale, they have devoted their time, their energy, to do that and stay within their set l;imit as to what they wanted to charge.

As peggy had said, there is a lot of time, and money that goes into the stealths and the cruisers, we wouldn't have raised the prices if we didn't have to.

I don't feel that bashing and trashing another wheel to promote my own is a good business practice, nor would be making any adjustments to make my wheel like another's.

I learned very early on, that the plastic track could not hold up to the weight of the larger widths, so I switched to the pvc coated wire, and with that extra weight I learned that the single bearing assembly would not over time hold up, so the cruiser has the dual bearing assembly that is separate from the wheel, so it can be replaced if need be without replacing the wheel.

Multiple wheel creators can co-exist and should.It is important for the members of this board and others to know there are differences between the wheels, all of them, they all stand alone, but should stand on their own.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: TWilson
My Whirl wheel doesn't have the lip/tab thing. It is just like the Stealth rim.

Anita, are only some made like this? Was it a fluke? I don't want to use this one in the video if it was a fluke and you've changed the design. PLEASE let me know. I want everything I say to be balanced and fair about this wheel.

Originally Posted By: TWilson

Also, the way you squeezed the wheel Amanda, all my wheels do that.
The CC wheel doesn't and my old stealth must be made of something different, because this is landware cloth, not the normal stuff.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 09:50 PM

Not safer,,, I said easier to use =)

They slowed the wheel down for me, he would probally be fine with it fast, I'm not just yet..I am paranoid. They also told me I can change it back to normal speed and yes the lip is higher so it should kinda be like a bumper for him so he knows where he is in relation to the edge.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 09:54 PM

Tammy is your whirl wheel orange? and no I cant squeeze my stealth like that either! dunno
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 09:56 PM

Janie -

Sorry - OT - but ... you will clutch your heart frequently with a blind glider! My girl is FEARLESS and she scares me all the time! She LAUNCHES herself into space without a clue about where she's going, or what she's going to land on! It is terrifying, but I've gotten used to it. She is also the FIRST to check out new toys. She actually seriously acts like a child at Christmas, rushing from toy to toy. The others kind of hang back a bit and investigate new toys more slowly. I've learned a great deal from Adia!

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 10:00 PM

OT:
Thats reassuring to know, I need to work upto where you are at. I know how my kids play rough in the wheels so it does scare me, I considered not giving him and his brother one because of my fears. I am grateful Anita and Charlie talked with me and came up with a compromise where I can let them have a wheel and not go crazy..immediately lol

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 10:05 PM

I hope your post can come true Bourbon.. I really do... I think there is room in the community for all 3.. like you said they are all different! I will be very sad if one starts copying the other though or contiune to lower their standards just to compete! That is what I find sad.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 10:19 PM

Ok, I finally got my thinking straight and I want to address some of the concerns that people have expressed here.

I actually just got one in the mail from a friend. I was hoping for the Stealth quality that I normally see, but... I dunno.

I don’t know why you would think you would get Stealth Quality, the Whirl is an economy model and as some have said, the Stealth IS the top of the line. It is in a class of it’s own.

1) there are no bearings, it turns just by spinning around a metal piece.

Exactly. That metal piece is called a bushing. It is what Rowdy used and it is the mechanics that we originally sent out to our testers 6 years ago. If you look in my avatar, you will see my glider running in a wheel with that same “metal piece".

2) the nut is exposed on the wheel

Actually what is on the front is the head of the bolt just like it is on almost every wheel we’ve sold for six years.

3) the housing on the back is like... you know how you have to cover a wodent?

I’m not sure what that means. There is not housing. You don’t need one with a bushing.

4) The lid used on the face has a pull tab that can easily come loose and become a sharp piece. I'm also scared of a glider getting a limb caught in there.

If you read my better half’s post, which I can tell a lot of you didn’t, this was addressed there. Last week we told our distributors that we were discontinuing the orange and that it would be replaced with black.

5) The track is landware. It's not very stable.

The track is NOT landware. It is the same net that we have used for years. We just made it about an inch wider because some fluffy animals need the extra space.

dunno I'm not doggin' it. It's a wheel... but it's not the best wheel in my opinion.

Most of the above was addressed early in this post if anyone had bothered to read it.

The only thing that I can add is in the little slide show, Amanda crushed the wheel. Well all wheels will crush when an adult human puts pressure on them. But the funny thing is I’ve never seen any animal do that.

I am surprised that no one has contacted me. Not one person! Am I such a bear? In the past when there were safety concerns, we have investigated. At times we have even pulled thing off the market until we could research and choose what correction needed to be made if any.

If any of you have a problem with anything that you ordered from AtticWorx, let us know. It is a lot easier to send out a pm or an email that would be to post movies and play silly games. And when we respond to a post, try to read if even if you are having that “gotcha" moment.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 10:31 PM

Did you replace the orange with a tab for safety concerns?

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 10:33 PM

Anita, I think you need to read your PM's and stop being defensive.

P.S. I'm aware that it's an economy wheel. I was listing the differences. Sorry I thought the screw was different. It's different on the cruiser. I was mixed up. dunno Human error. It happens.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 10:33 PM

No, I didn't see it as a problem and not one person has complained. I just didn't think it was a very popular color.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 10:35 PM

Amanda, I think you need to read your PM's as there is an explaination there.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 10:37 PM

shakehead
Originally Posted By: hushpuppy
No, I didn't see it as a problem and not one person has complained. I just didn't think it was a very popular color.

I complained. That's the problem HERE.

I'm out guys. I'm done defending my opinions. The wheel I have is exactly what you see. Make your own judgments. Anita, I was trying to be nice to you.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 10:38 PM

Do you still feel that orange whirl is completely safe?

If not! Maybe you should contact everyone that purchased one from you! Just my opinion!
Posted By: Laurens_Babies

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 11:15 PM

I don't have any stake in this "conversation" at all but..

shakehead
Originally Posted By: hushpuppy

I complained. That's the problem HERE.

I'm out guys. I'm done defending my opinions. The wheel I have is exactly what you see. Make your own judgments. Anita, I was trying to be nice to you.

Amanda I have to say personally I really appreciate the comments you have posted in this thread they were very polite but to the point.
Posted By: MizValorie

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 11:15 PM

Having met Anita herself I would just like to say that if I had a problem with ANY of her wheels, I would go to her IMMEDIATELY and talk it out with her. I truly believe Anita and her husband have the gliders best interest at heart and strive to provide SAFE wheels.

If you feel the wheel is unsafe the appropriate way to go about this would have been to contact Anita and her husband (we give vendors this same courtesy when we see a problem with their product) and then if they were unwilling to work through your issues THEN bring it out into the public.
Posted By: Karin

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 11:23 PM

Touche' Valorie! Going straight to your vendor, and giving them the opportunity and time to respond should always be the norm. This post could shed bad light on Anita and Charlie, and actually, other wheel makers for no good valid reason. Just not the way to do things.

Karin

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 11:28 PM

Quote:
Going straight to your vendor, and giving them the opportunity and time to respond should always be the norm. This post could shed bad light on Anita and Charlie, and actually, other wheel makers for no good valid reason. Just not the way to do things.

clap Agreed!!

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/19/09 11:30 PM

I believe there are PMs going back and forth...meanwhile, is a newbie question supposed to go unanswered?

I believe that the original question was something along the lines of the Whirl being a bit cheaper, but is a regular Stealth worth it...and I think just about everyone said YES if you can afford just a bit more then it IS worth it to get a Stealth or one of the other price-comparable wheels. How is encouraging an upsell a bad thing????

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/20/09 02:27 AM

As far as the Whirl being an "economy college ride" I rather see it as the $500 hoopty 16 yr olds afford on a McDonald's paycheck. Yes, the economy is hard, but it's not that much more to get a regular Stealth or one of the other wheels mentioned, like a Cruiser or TGI.

Gliders are not that dumb. They are very adept at jumping off when they want to and that's most of the fun - a little spin and a big jump.

The whirl wheel is not a hoopty. It can spin freely or offers a bit of resistance which is very good for gliders that are bigger and can use the resistance in equipment. The price has nothing to do w/the economy but with the cost/time to manufacture.
Posted By: BindiAndScrubbie

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/20/09 03:10 AM

Well my girl whirls around just fine on the outside of the wheel. Nothing's happened to her and it's been in her cage for a month. Just saying... thumb
Posted By: DirtyPaws

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/21/09 12:27 AM

* tiptoeing *

Um, I think I might be interested in trying a whirl wheel.

I do have a question for Anita though, that some others may have too. I understand you switched the orange for black. Does the black have the tab thingy? It was in the slideshow and Amanda had her finger up under it. Also, how high does the wheel sit off the ground?

And okay, here's where I confess. I am terrified to give my babies wheels. AND feel so awfully guilty at the same time for denying them not only the fun but the exercise.

Whew! Okay, there I said it! My gliders have no wheels! Cuz their momma's a big chicken! blush
Posted By: LabNGliderMom

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/21/09 01:05 AM

I just want to say- to the original poster- I have never personally treid the Whirl Wheel... both of my cages have Stealths in them... I have a spare Stealth that will go in the quarantine cage when Fizzgig comes home in 3 weeks, even. So I cannot speak from experience about the Whirl Wheel-

HOWEVER...

I CAN tell you that I swtiched to the Stealth from Wodents and could NOT be more PLEASED. Mygldiers are happier and safer thanks to Anita and I appreciate her wheels in general more than I can adequately express!

It appears that the tab issue was solved by changing the piece that had tabs on it to one that does not... and an "economy" wheel that is better than a Wodent by a long shot and is made by the "top of the line" Stealth builders seems like a GREAT idea for those living on strict budgets in these difficult financial times.

Anita, I don't even have one- but I am glad to know they are there if I need a quality wheel but have limited funds with shich to purchase one... THANK YOU for being a GREAT wheel builder and a WONDERFUL vendor!
Posted By: hwh4ev

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/21/09 02:52 AM

i have the whirly wheel-orange one. it is made solid, my
gliders love it and i like it better than the wodent wheels.
when i first got it it was tight but you just turn the nut
or whatever you call it and it will spin faster. so it
can be adjusted to suit your gliders needs, if they are
a little fluffy.
i do plan on getting a stealth also and another whirly
wheel as my plan is to get rid of all the wodent wheels.

regards,
nancy in detroit
p.s. i highly recommend the whirly wheel.

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/21/09 10:22 AM

Having just read this entire thread from start to finish, I really don't know why ANYONE feels threatened or 'bashed'. A question was asked and people responded with mostly honest answers. There were a few "support my friend no matter what" posts, but no one said this wheel or that wheel was total [censored].

I don't think in this situation Amanda should be chastised for not going directly to Anita either. I'm no Amanda fan, but she tried to post without being biased. She asked questions and posted facts as she knew them based on her experience. That doesn't make her a bad person or out to start trouble.

Sheeesh, people. Are we no longer allowed to speak our minds or give opinions on a product we've paid good money for in order not to hurt someones feelings? It's not like she posted the wheel was junk and went on her merry way!

I love my stealths, but guess what? I got one that WAS a piece of junk and all I got was flack for mentioning that it wobbled and was totally unstable. It didn't get replaced, it didn't get repaired, it got thrown in the trash because I was said to be just starting drama for saying it was a bad wheel. I never said ALL stealths were bad, just that one, but apparently, that didn't matter!

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/21/09 10:24 AM

And Crystal.....just pick a wheel and try it. I bet you'll have one ordered for ALL of your cages when you see how much fun they have in them!! They literally run all night long!! And some just hang on for the ride while someone else does all the runnin'....LOL

Oh and Kris, Spencer can pour ketchup on my wheels any time. I'll even give him a bottle of syrup or somethin' sticky and sweet if he wants it.....lol
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: Whirl Wheel? - 11/21/09 11:17 AM

Continued in Part 2 HERE...
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL