GliderCENTRAL

Dangers of "wild" feathers (and how to fix it)

Posted By: Dancing

Dangers of "wild" feathers (and how to fix it) - 05/24/12 06:47 AM

Most gliders (all I've ever met) go CRAZY over feathers.

I want to caution people though about picking up feathers outside (from wild birds). They can often have mites or even lice.

If you are going with "wild" feathers, get some HUMAN grade DE (Diatomaceous Earth, aka Fossil Shell Flour) and put the feathers in that (covering both sides of the feather) for a week or two. Then a quick soak in a 10% bleach solution, rinse well and let them sun dry. This will insure they are "bug" free and safe to use with the gliders.
Posted By: Gizmogirl

Re: Dangers of "wild" feathers (and how to fix it) - 05/24/12 06:52 AM

Thank you for this T!
Posted By: etrnalsunshinee

Re: Dangers of "wild" feathers (and how to fix it) - 05/24/12 12:10 PM

Thank you!!!
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: Dangers of "wild" feathers (and how to fix it) - 05/24/12 01:36 PM

Great advice!
Posted By: StowawayGliders

Re: Dangers of "wild" feathers (and how to fix it) - 05/24/12 01:59 PM

Thank you!

Re: Dangers of "wild" feathers (and how to fix it) - 05/24/12 05:39 PM

You are all most welcome. I posted this because I have someone wanting to turkey hunt on my property and told him that I get all the feathers from the turkey (for the gliders). Then I realized how much time it will take to "clean" the feathers before I give them to my gliders or offer them for sale.

I just want everyone to know that just picking up any old feather could cause more problems than that feather is worth (play value) if you don't take the time to clean them.

Using this method of "cleaning" them is so much better than risking store bought feathers that may have been "preserved" with formaldehyde too.
Posted By: Meg_n_Von

Re: Dangers of "wild" feathers (and how to fix it) - 05/26/12 06:01 AM

Good post. clap
Posted By: kittybaran

Re: Dangers of "wild" feathers (and how to fix it) - 06/02/12 05:20 PM

What kind of feather do you use? Is there any saftey concerns with ingesting the feather piceses? Can they be unsupervised with the feathers?

Re: Dangers of "wild" feathers (and how to fix it) - 06/02/12 05:54 PM

I have not known of any problems with feathers and the gliders other than potential for "bugs" on them. Store bought feathers are often "cured" with formaldahyde so I don't use those with my gliders.

Around here we have LOTS of wild turkey as well as many other birds so I'm always finding fun looking feathers but I treat them all the same in the way I clean them.
Posted By: IslandGliders

Re: Dangers of "wild" feathers (and how to fix it) - 06/02/12 06:58 PM

I give my gliders feathers from my own ducks and chickens; in this case, since I know my birds are clean and disease-free, all I do is freeze the feathers overnight in a plastic baggy. smile
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Dangers of "wild" feathers (and how to fix it) - 06/02/12 09:59 PM

Great info T! I've always wondered what the stores treat with as well.
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: Dangers of "wild" feathers (and how to fix it) - 06/03/12 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By: kittybaran
What kind of feather do you use? Is there any saftey concerns with ingesting the feather piceses? Can they be unsupervised with the feathers?

I don't think they would ingest the feather or pieces of it. I would be more concerned with the quill portion breaking. I don't know that it could or would be a potential source of injury to a glider or not. I've only used feathers during supervised playtime.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Dangers of "wild" feathers (and how to fix it) - 06/05/12 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By: GliderNursery
Originally Posted By: kittybaran

I don't think they would ingest the feather or pieces of it. I would be more concerned with the quill portion breaking. I don't know that it could or would be a potential source of injury to a glider or not. I've only used feathers during supervised playtime.

They hunt small birds in the wild, and surely tree branches and twigs are more prone to splintering and breaking than feathers. Feathers are ok unsupervised in my book. dunno To each his/her own thumb
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL