GliderCENTRAL

Tiny black ants and diatomaceous earth

Posted By: Luckey

Tiny black ants and diatomaceous earth - 05/05/19 09:35 PM

I have a question on the word in the tittle (dont want to spell it again). This is a proven killer of crawling insects and is food grade non toxic. I tried to look for info on small pets.

The best I could find is a mixture of that and natural oils to detract rats but not kill them.

If I spread this on the drop pan and around the cage is this harmful?

Re: Tiny black ants and diatomaceous earth - 05/05/19 09:51 PM

I put out fruit at night and by morning there are half a dozen ants or so on the dish. I've also observed both of them licking up the ants which wouldn't be so terrible except I don't know where they are coming from.

I've destroyed the ant trails that I've found but it must be behind the floorboard or something.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Tiny black ants and diatomaceous earth - 05/05/19 10:24 PM

First, wipe down cage. Pull away from the wall and anything that touches it. I bought 4 cheap small bowls and put one under each leg of cage. Add the diamanthis(what ever it's called) earth in each bowl till the ants can't cross over to the legs.

I wouldn't put any in the drop pan just in case they try to retrieve something and it gets on it.

I bought my earth from the garden center of Walmart.

I hope this helps.

Re: Tiny black ants and diatomaceous earth - 05/05/19 10:31 PM

Thank you for the suggestion. I have some perfect little plates to put the rollers on with the DE.

Also, I just payed a little more attention and I do store 2 cardboard boxes of supplies under the cage. No food but could be harboring an ant queen.

Talking the situation out always helps.

The joeys aren't quite exploring yet but I'd imaging in the next week or so.

Re: Tiny black ants and diatomaceous earth - 05/05/19 10:38 PM

You're welcome!!! I store toys and bedding under their cage too on the shelf. It never hurts to check everything out to make sure...

Want to see Joey pics please!!!! When it's time of course! :rofl2:

Re: Tiny black ants and diatomaceous earth - 05/05/19 10:45 PM

I haven't updated because they haven't come out yet. But should be any day now. They've been pout for about a month.

Re: Tiny black ants and diatomaceous earth - 05/06/19 02:31 AM

Ok, I searched the boxes under the cage and no ants. Either way I put all 4 wheels on plates covered with DE so I know it's cage specific or not.

Either way I haven't washed the sack they were born in in over a month. Could this be a prob. It stinks. But the joeys know nothing else besides that pouch.

Re: Tiny black ants and diatomaceous earth - 05/06/19 03:57 AM

Are there any blankies in it? If not cut some fleece up in 4" x 4" squares let them have them in their pouch for the night. Once they've been in there for a few naps, just offer a new pouch by unceremoniously, shrinking their pouch and offer the new one. Be sure their blankies go with. They'll be fine.

Re: Tiny black ants and diatomaceous earth - 05/06/19 04:12 AM

5 4" by 4" blankets. Stuffed in there.

Re: Tiny black ants and diatomaceous earth - 05/08/19 04:38 AM

So, I had some 4"x4" square plastic plant drip trays I use for bonsai plant. These fit the wheels perfectly and added the DE. That was 2 nights ago. Might have cought a glimpse in my last video (not sure).

And guess what, no ants in the dish anymore.

I'd attach a picture but I can't make a file that small and don't want to make a YouTube video about it.

Edit: I'll try and make another video tonight and I'll include the plates. I can already hear them chattering so I bet they will be out soon.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Tiny black ants and diatomaceous earth - 05/09/19 02:33 PM

clap

Re: Tiny black ants and diatomaceous earth - 05/09/19 03:32 PM

:yes:
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL